How To Train Your Dragon

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

How To Train Your Dragon

Postby LaDracul on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 am

The cast for "How to Train Your Dragon" has been announced-

Jay Baruchel as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, a scrawny teenage viking who's given a task to catch a dragon

Gerard Butler as his dad, Stoick the Vast, head of the tribe

America Ferrara as Astrid, Haddock's partner for the initiation

Jonah Hill as Snotlout, Haddock's nemesis

Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fishlegs, a big and dumb viking

Strangely enough, no mention of Judd Apatow being involved...

The film will be released in 3D on March 26th, 2010.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby stereosforgeeks on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:46 am

LaDracul wrote:The cast for "How to Train Your Dragon" has been announced-

Jay Baruchel as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, a scrawny teenage viking who's given a task to catch a dragon

Gerard Butler as his dad, Stoick the Vast, head of the tribe

America Ferrara as Astrid, Haddock's partner for the initiation

Jonah Hill as Snotlout, Haddock's nemesis

Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fishlegs, a big and dumb viking

Strangely enough, no mention of Judd Apatow being involved...

The film will be released in 3D on March 26th, 2010.

Based on the cast it looks like it could actually bring the funny.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:55 am

From Market Saw:
>>Dreamworks Animation are using TWO directors to get HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON done on time:

Dreamworks Animation is using both Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois as directors to get this movie done on a greatly accelerated schedule. Says a DWA staffer:

"We know we're going to be working a lot of overtime on the picture, but nobody's uptight about it, everybody's happy to be working. The story's coming along, nobody is worried about that. We know the picture's going to get done. We've done it before, many times ..."

Further conjecture from the TAG blog:
"Walking around, I saw more scenes of Shrek IV being worked on than Dragon, (Shrek in slapstick action with supporting players) yet the ogre lumbers into your local cinema a couple of months after Dragon. This could mean story is further along on Shrek than Dragon, or it might mean Shrek has more moving parts and needs a longer production schedule, or it might mean ... not much at all."

- We knew that they had two directors on for quite some time now (about a year - they also were writers) but this paints the scene a bit better. Obviously the Shrek franchise gets top attention over there as it is a guaranteed money maker. HTTYD is due in theaters March 26, 2010.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: How To Train Your Dragon

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Trailer.

Yay, Craig Ferguson!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Move over, vampires! 2010 is the Year of the Dragon*!

*[citation needed]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:44 am

Just saw the trailer.

I'm really hoping that Dreamworks didn't use the best bits in that trailer because it looks great.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Merrick Thinks You Should Learn HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON:

Merrick wrote:If you're a regular reader of this site, you know that I tend to not write too many reviews . But, every once in a while, a title comes along that I think deserves a bit more attention than it's been getting. In this case, it's the story of a boy named Hiccup, the ostensibly evil dragon he knocks from the sky, and his society's escalating campaign against dragons as Hiccup comes to realize that the true enemy they're facing isn't the creatures themselves…but sheer presumption and ignorance.

When I first saw trailers for this film, I…wasn't convinced. The dragon looked like a big, black salamander cat and this felt like the kind of movie in which songs from All American Rejects or Green Day would show-up when you least wanted them. Neither is the case: the dragon, presented here with an amalgam of animal characteristics, works quite well (he sounds like a Cylon fighter from Ron Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA when he whizzes by), and there are no rock songs until the movie's closing credits. Both of which illustrate my assertion that the most surprisingly quality of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON is what it isn't, and I mean this in the best possible way.

The movie is being strategically (and understandably) positioned as coming "from the creators of SHREK and KUNG FU PANDA" - a notion which immediately breeds many pre-conceptions: anachronistic rock songs and sight gags, modern sensibilities and hipsterism peppered throughout its dialogue, etc. But you'll find precious few of these qualities here: DRAGON is very straight forward, fully embracing the immediacy of its time, setting, and concept - and it's self-assured enough not to distract with desperate gags and or jarring pop culture references. Put simply, directors Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders (who wrote the film alongside Adam F. Goldberg and Peter Tolan) believe in their material. As a result, we believe in their film.

Part of this acceptance rises from the film's willingness/commitment to actually be about something. When I say "about" something, I'm not referring to storyline, but substance. DRAGON's thematics are headier, and truer, than the noncommittal fluff we'd find many animated projects these days. As with the best allegories, DRAGON's conceits of understanding our enemy, and not instantly accepting authorities' determinations of who and what is 'bad', manage to directly apply to our real world without ever specifically evoking it. There's not a great deal of preaching here, but these messages are there, and their intent is unmistakable.

Production Design Kathy Altieri (PRINCE OF EGYPT) and Art Direction by Pierre-Olivier Vincent (FLUSHED AWAY) are atmospheric, surprisingly detailed, and remarkably immersive. John Powell's driving score is among his best work to date - always supportive, never overbearing, and roundly indispensable. The overall use of 3D here is exemplary - whoever ends up directing the next SUPERMAN film could learn a few things from this film's flight sequences, which range from elegant and beautiful to adrenalized and dizzying.

With all of this said, HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON is not a perfect film. In general, its storyline is agreeably propulsive, but pacing does dip from time to time. And, strangely, many of DRAGON's Viking characters are imbued with a variety of odd accents - some of the Norsemen in this film sound like they're voiced by the slightly tipsy denizens of a remote UK pub.

But such distractions and inconsistencies are minor compared to the overall effectiveness of this picture. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON is the real thing, accessible to kids, imminently embraceable by adults, with a small plot point at the end which might make you gasp a little. No bullshit to cut through here, no self-conscious cuteness that dilutes our willingness to invest in the film. Apropos of the thematics driving this movie, you may very likely find that DRAGON is more than you expect it to be, and more than you thought it could be.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:23 pm

i don't think Merrick even fucking saw Kung Fu Panda, since he describes this movie having attributes that Kung Fu Panda had, only Merrick does this right after holding up Kung Fu Panda as the kind of movie this is not. so, right there his credibility is shot, what little of it he has....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:33 pm

I saw this in 3D the other night and I don't think I can emphasize enough how much I enjoyed it. Amazing is the word I've been using. The heart and spectacle on display here is astounding, especially when considering most movies - especially animated fare - usually have one or the other. The flying scenes were breathtaking, faster and more turns than any roller coaster I could conceive of. The 3D was completely immersive and not the least bit gimmicky. In fact, while watching it I couldn't help but think that if Dragon had gone into production after Avatar it would have been made in the same fashion and given the Na'vi a run for their money. I'm not usually one to gush about a film but when I adore it this much I can't help it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Word of mouth on this seems to be really good, it has gone from a movie I barely acknowledged to something I actually wanna see soon.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Word of mouth on this seems to be really good, it has gone from a movie I barely acknowledged to something I actually wanna see soon.

I saw it a few weeks ago and loved it. The animation was superb, the voice casting was excellent (even Hiccup's drone seemed to work well). The vikings reminded me a bit of Frank Frazetta's artwork. If I don't see anything else this month that really rocks my socks, this film will more than likely be my best of April pick. Dreamworks needs to continue doing this sort of thing. KFP is another example of Dreamwork's continued strength with animation and storyline. Enough with the Shrek's already.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: How To Train Your Dragon 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 am

From Jim Hill:
"The Art of How to Train Your Dragon" reveals the film that DreamWorks Animation almost made
Jim Hill reviews Tracey Miller-Zarneke's latest making-of book. Which walks you through many of the hard choices that Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois and Bonnie Arnold had to make while they were adapting Cressida Cowell's book to the screen
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 am

How to Train Your Dragon's Directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
steve fritz wrote:About a decade ago, Disney took a gamble on a pair of young animators. It wasn't a big gamble. That year's "A" release was going to be Ron Clement and John Musker's after all.

Still, there were these two guys named Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois who had an idea deemed worthy enough to be 2002's "B" animated feature. It involved a Hawaiian kid pretty much exiled by her peers becoming friends with an escaped alien prisoner. She didn't know it was a superweapon. Lilo just thought Stitch was a funny looking dog and they did both like Elvis...

The shocker, at least for those on high at the Magic Kingdom, was the tale of the little girl and her homicidal extraterrestrial "pet" blew their space opera right out of the sky, $150 million to $40 million in domestic box office alone. Lilo & Stitch then went on to produce two direct-to-DVD features, an original TV series and a ton of plush Stitch dolls.

As for Sanders and DeBlois? While Sanders primarily stayed associated with the TV show, then do development on a film which eventually was named Bolt. DeBlois directed the film Heima for Sigur Ros as well as write episodes for the Japanese sequel to the TV series, Stitch!

Now they're back together, at Dreamworks, and their second collaboration together hits the theaters this weekend. Entitled How To Train Your Dragon, it again tells the tale of an outsider kid who finds a friend in a monster with some murderous firepower.

From One Monster Hit to the Next

"There are some similarities," Sanders admit from his hotel room in Miami, "but there are also some huge differences. This is really an action film, where Lilo & Stitch was more family. I mean we never had a film that started out with a war. We do here. The second act is all set in a gladiator ring."

"Chris called me right after he was approached by [Dreamworks Animation CEO] Jeffrey Katzenberg," adds DeBlois, sittting next to Sanders. "He said it was right in our wheelhouse. It's a young protagonist in a world of fantasy that's totally over his head. He felt we could really do something great with it. I agreed. It seems that just about everything Chris and I work on has a kid or teen hero at its core and something of the supernatural element to it."

"The situation for Dean and I was we were each doing something else," adds Sanders. "Dreamworks asked to take over the project in its last 14 months. We came into it because they specifically needed someone to work over the story. They also wanted to increase the scale of the story, put some weight and enhance the adventure in the story.

"Another thing that's different is it was both exciting, and a bit intimidating, to be working on a CGI film. When you make traditional films, like we had, you grew up learning to accept certain limitations. For instance, you have to work with a lot with a fixed camera. With CG, we had incredible freedom with the camera. For us it was thrilling."

Believe it or not, Dragon is the 20-year animation vets first foray into computer-generated animation, and they found its freedom scary.

"One thing," DeBlois cautions, "with that freedom come a danger. As evidence in some overuse in other films, we decided to show some restraint. If we didn't, viewers wouldn't believe in the stakes, because the physics doesn't allow for any peril. We grounded our cameras in reality. That was one thing Steve Spielberg talked to us about when he saw the film. He saw that we shot it like a live action film."

That's right; Dragon has already been screened, and approved, by one of animation's biggest fans, Steven Spielberg.

"Imagine our shock when we were holding one of our first screenings and we were told that one of the viewers would be Mr. Spielberg!" Sanders recalls with undisguised pride. "Imagine little us--who grew up loving his film--and now he's coming to see one of ours? I remember Dean and I were sitting together in the theater watching him. All I could say is 'We are never going to forget this moment. Ever.'"

"A week later, Jim Cameron stopped by to watch the movie," DeBlois adds faking a blasé veneer, then laughs. "That was pretty amazing, too.

"We really limited it, actually. If we didn't it would have messed with the reality of the film. We did that a lot with Lilo & Stitch, too. I admit, in traditional animation you tend to do squash and stretch a bit more, but I try not to do it too much, at least consciously. Believability was the most important thing, not only in the camera work but also in the characters. One of the things our guys managed to pull off was what we call a hyper-believable—not hyper real—emotions. I mean especially with a character like Stoick, there's a moment where that's so incredibly subtle that I found incredible."

Animation Now Flying High

Yet it leads the two film directors into an interesting tangent. Ten years back, Sanders and DeBlois rubbing shoulders and commiserating with the likes of Spielberg and Cameron would have been completely unheard of.

"It is," Sanders concurs. "What I really find interesting is no one talks about it anymore. It's settled into the film world and found its place. One of the things that Dean pointed out is in the past when we did interviews, was we used to always get asked what was different about doing an animated film as opposed to a live action film. We haven't been asked that question now for a few years."

"Because that line has now become so blurred," DeBlois chime in. "Alice In Wonderland and Avatar have totally crossed the lines now. Animation is in the DNA of Avatar. You can't separate them. It also figures that Tim Burton was an animator first."

Yet it wasn't long before the two were steered back to their next great creation who will stock the plush doll section in short time, Toothless, the main dragon of their movie.

"We needed a design that made him the most ferocious, the most feared of all dragons to the Vikings," said DeBlois, "and also built within him a design where he could become a big, cuddly pussycat. In fact, we referenced panthers when we designed him. A black panther is very sleek and powerful with those piercing eyes. Those were all things we put in there."

If anything, fans should see their share of Stitch in Toothless. When he's on a rampage, he lives up to everything DeBlois and Sanders put into him. Toothless is made to look like a giant kitty, but he's really a stealth bomber well worthy of being the advance guard of a dragon attack. Yet when he's first captured--then freed--by the young hero of the movie, Hiccup, his feline nature turns him into a particularly strange nurturer of the boy's courage as well as steadfast companion. Cat fans who ever got a gift of a dead mouse or bird from their fur ball friends certainly understand.

A New Hit Cartoon Team

Meanwhile, it looks like we haven't heard the last of Sanders and DeBlois. They have learned the error of their ways since doing Lilo & Stitch.

"What we found is our respective creative processes work well together," Sanders announced. "We're our best critics in a way. We get what each other's after. I mean, overall we want the same thing and that is seen when we outline the film. If you saw one, you'd see our outlook and goals are pretty much the same.

"The thing is, when we sit down to do the scenes, we go off and do them individually. That's when you see Dean won't write a film the way I would, and vice versa. It makes for a very fresh, healthy film when we come together and compare what we each did."

"We're working on something right now," adds DeBlois. "I think the one thing we definitely figured out from working together again is now we plan to stay associated."

So could Sanders and DeBlois end up becoming a new legendary animation team like Harmon-Ising, Hanna-Barbera, Clements and Musker? If How To Train Your Dragon is any indicator, we shouldn't be at all. surprised.

As it stands, it looks like they have a new surprise hits on their hands.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm

From Deadline:
'How To Train Your Dragon' Sequel Details
MICHAEL SPEIER wrote:DreamWorks Animation is giving some details surrounding the 2013 3D sequel to How to Train Your Dragon. Most of the the voice cast -- including Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill and Kristin Wiig -- will be back. Dean Deblois will be the lone writer and director, while the first film's co-director, Chris Sanders, will serve as executive producer. The first entry into the series based on Cressida Cowell's books grossed almost $500 million worldwide.

From Variety:
Actors back on 'Dragon' - Talent reteams for DreamWorks sequel

Peter Debruge wrote:It's back to Berk for DreamWorks Animation -- and back to work for the creative team behind the hit 3D toon "How to Train Your Dragon."

Referring to the studio's "newest franchise" -- which takes flight just as the "Shrek" series winds down after its fourth installment -- DWA production co-prexy Bill Damaschke confirmed that all the key voices will be returning for the 2013 sequel.

"Dragon" has been a huge success for the studio, having brought in $489.6 million worldwide.

Jay Baruchel, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T.J. Miller and Kristen Wiig will reprise their roles, with more work in store for Toothless and the original's other non-speaking, fire-breathing favorites.

After sharing writing and directing duties with Chris Sanders on the original, Dean DeBlois will take over both tasks on the sequel, with Sanders (who has his hands full co-helming DWA's 2012 caveman comedy "The Croods") remaining creatively involved in an executive producer capacity. DeBlois will also exec produce, while producer Bonnie Arnold returns to oversee the entire creative process.

The first movie was conceived as a prequel of sorts to Cressida Cowell's book series, leaving plenty of material untapped for DeBlois as he plans to expand the world, which begins on the Island of Berk, and carry the story forward. "There are nine books, and I feel like there are all sorts of elements that we could pull from," Arnold said.

The "Dragon" sequel is the first of two 3D films DWA plans to release in 2013, following a busy 2012, which includes "The Croods," "Madagascar 3" and William Joyce adaptation "The Guardians."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:33 pm

This was a good movie you guys! The story itself is pretty standard animated fare, but the way it was told was pretty refreshing, from the in medias res dragon attack that opens the film to the extended training montage. Visually it's pretty great too, as Tyrone and other viewers have already mentioned. It probably helps to have seen it in 3D, but even without it there's some breathtaking imagery on display. Watching the end credits, I noticed they pulled a WALL-E and had Roger Deakins supervise the cinematography, which might have had something to do with it. But anyway, check it out if you're a fan of animation. I'm definitely interested in seeing what they come up with for the sequel.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: How To Train Your Dragon 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:28 am

From THR:
Details of 'How to Train Your Dragon' Sequel Revealed
Carolyn Giardina wrote:The sequel to DreamWorks Animation's hit movie How to Train Your Dragon will move beyond the small, North Sea island that was the setting of the original film as it traces the further adventures of Hiccup as he grows toward becoming the leader of his Viking clan.

Dean DeBlois, who co-directed the first film, revealed he is currently working on the second draft of the screenplay, which he expects will be at least the second film in a trilogy.

"I turned in the script before the holidays, and got some notes back and I'm working on a second draft," DeBlois, who will write and direct the sequel, told THR at Saturday's Annie Awards. "It's going to be quite epic. We are treating How To Train Your Dragon as the first act in a much larger story. As we head into this one, the world expands. Everything is much bigger with still the heartfelt qualities that made the first one resonate so much with audiences. There are no longer restrictions to this tiny island in the North Sea. They have the entire Northern hemisphere within their grasp."

He continued: "The only way of tracing the story is to draw on elements that were in the first movie and set up elements for a third movie, so it doesn't feel like a random adventure with the same five or six characters. This truly is a second chapter in a larger story."

Added Bonnie Arnold, who is returning as producer: "It's going to be more fun adventures with Hiccup and Toothless. There will be some new dragons and maybe some new characters. It's the further adventures of Hiccup on his journey of becoming a man and the ultimate leader of the Viking clan."

Dragon co-director Chris Sanders will executive produce the sequel. Sanders is next co-writing and co-directing DWA's The Croods, which is slated for a 2012 release. Dragon was one of the top 10 highest grossing movies in the 2010 North American box office, and the film has grossed nearly $500 million worldwide.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Boy am I late for the party. Finally saw it via Netflix. ROCKED! Wish I saw it in 3D fo' sho'!!!
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

the 3D on this was killer, and welcome to the party pal
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Storyboarding Has Begun on 'How to Train Your Dragon' Sequel
Writer-director Dean DeBlois says new film is designed as second film in a trilogy.

Carolyn Giardina wrote:Storyboarding has begun on the sequel to How to Train Your Dragon, which is slated to hit theaters on June 20, 2014. Offering a progress report on the feature, its writer-director Dean DeBlois said Wednesday that it is being intentionally designed as the second film in a trilogy.

“There are certain characters and situations that come into play in the second film that will becomes much more crucial to the story by the third. Other threads from the first will begin to pay themselves off in the second,” DeBlois said. “It's my way of guaranteeing that it is not another adventure that we throw the same five or six characters into, that it feels like part of a larger story.”

Speaking at the dedication of USC’s new Marilyn and Jeffrey Katzenberg Center for Animation, DeBlois said that several drafts of the script have been completed and the storyboarding process has begun. “It is nice that we have an excited crew and a lot of confidence in the project. It is really ambitious. It's all fun stuff, it's really challenging,” he said.

Earlier this year, DeBlois and producer Bonnie Arnold revealed details about the sequel to THR. The story will move beyond the small, North Sea island that was the setting of the original film as it traces the further adventures of Hiccup as he grows toward becoming the leader of his Viking clan. "It's going to be quite epic,” DeBlois said.

DeBlois was co-director and Arnold producer of the original Dragon movie, which was released last year. Dragon co-director Chris Sanders is exec producing the sequel. Sanders is next co-writing and co-directing DWA's The Croods, a 2012 release.

The first Dragon was nominated for two Academy Awards including best animated feature. It was one of the top 10 highest-grossing movies in the 2010 North American box office, and the film has grossed nearly $500 million worldwide.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation