Toy Story 3

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Toy Story 3

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 pm

Rotten Tomatoes wrote:Lasseter Confirms Toy Story 3 and Upcoming Pixar Projects
The toys are back in town.

by Fred Topel | November 10, 2007

John Lasseter usually doesn't reveal anything about upcoming Pixar projects. Even though Toy Story 3 has been a known project ever since Disney threatened to make it without Pixar, Lasseter always dodges it. Finally, Lasseter has once-and-for-all confirmed it and discussed turning over the original Pixar property to a new(ish) director.

"We have Toy Story 3 directed by Lee Unkrich and Lee co-directed Toy Story 2 with me," said Lasseter. "Lee was part of the original creative [team]. I didn't let go of the reins. We're still doing it and Lee was a part of the original creative team on Toy Story and then he co-directed Toy Story 2 with me."

Whatever Toy Story 3 is about, it's got nothing to do with that summer camp idea Disney bandied around. "Obviously not. I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know anything about that."

Lasseter has some other Pixar treats too. "The movie after Wall-E is a movie called Up and it's directed by Pete Docter who did Monsters, Inc. It's kind of a big action adventure starring an 80-year-old man. It's got a lot of heart in the story. It's great."

Pixar is also revisiting 2D animation with The Princess and the Frog. "John Musker and Ron Clements (Aladdin, The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid) are directing it for Disney. It's going to be great. We have an awful lot of animators at Pixar who have been trained in hand drawn. We all still love the art form. What I love sometimes is when creative people have tremendous constraints, brilliant ideas come out of it."

The Princess and the Frog and Up are scheduled for 2009, with Toy Story 3 set to a 2010 release. Wall-E will roll into theaters on June 27, 2008.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:37 pm

Where's the Incredibles 2?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Or "Up"?
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 pm

LaDracul wrote:Or "Up"?

i could be walking into a trap here, what's "Up"?
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby LaDracul on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:24 pm

It's supposed to be an elderly man and his forest ranger sidekick on an adventure in the wilderness.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

LaDracul wrote:Or "Up"?

king_of_nowhere wrote:

John Lasseter usually doesn't reveal anything about upcoming Pixar projects. Even though Toy Story 3 has been a known project ever since Disney threatened to make it without Pixar, Lasseter always dodges it. Finally, Lasseter has once-and-for-all confirmed it and discussed turning over the original Pixar property to a new(ish) director.

"We have Toy Story 3 directed by Lee Unkrich and Lee co-directed Toy Story 2 with me," said Lasseter. "Lee was part of the original creative [team]. I didn't let go of the reins. We're still doing it and Lee was a part of the original creative team on Toy Story and then he co-directed Toy Story 2 with me."

Whatever Toy Story 3 is about, it's got nothing to do with that summer camp idea Disney bandied around. "Obviously not. I don't know what you're talking about. I don't know anything about that."

Lasseter has some other Pixar treats too. "The movie after Wall-E is a movie called Up and it's directed by Pete Docter who did Monsters, Inc. It's kind of a big action adventure starring an 80-year-old man. It's got a lot of heart in the story. It's great."

Pixar is also revisiting 2D animation with The Princess and the Frog. "John Musker and Ron Clements (Aladdin, The Great Mouse Detective, The Little Mermaid) are directing it for Disney. It's going to be great. We have an awful lot of animators at Pixar who have been trained in hand drawn. We all still love the art form. What I love sometimes is when creative people have tremendous constraints, brilliant ideas come out of it."

The Princess and the Frog and Up are scheduled for 2009, with Toy Story 3 set to a 2010 release. Wall-E will roll into theaters on June 27, 2008.

It's there...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Up is discussed in the article:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

EDIT: damn you havoc!!
Last edited by Ribbons on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Too slow!!!

I miss RIBBINS...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Sorry, cant believe i missed that.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: Toy Story 3

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:28 pm

From AICN:
Mr. Beaks Salutes Disney Saluting Itself!
Mr.Beaks wrote:TOY STORY 3
2010. In spectacular Disney 3-D! It begins with the day Andy leaves for college, and it will for sure return the voices of Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, John Ratzenberger, Joan Cusack and Don Rickles. The big question for now: who will voice Ken?

From IESB:
Beetlejuice Cast in Toy Story 3!
Robert Sanchez wrote:Jodi Benson best known for the voice of Ariel in Disney's Little Mermaid franchise revealed to the IESB this weekend during an interview on Santa Catalina Island for the release of The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning that she is returning to the Toy Story franchise to voice Barbie. You may recall, she voiced Tour Guide Barbie and Barbie on Backpack in the second film.

But what's Barbie without Ken?!

Benson also revealed to the IESB that her Barbie will be cuddling up to none other than Beetlejuice himself, Michael Keaton, as Ken in the new film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat May 30, 2009 9:49 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 30, 2009 12:03 pm

From Animated News: Toy Story 3 plot details revealed
According to The Associated Press, during the premiere of Disney/Pixar’s Up at the the Cannes Film Festival, early rumors were confirmed that Toy Story 3 would show what happens after Andy grows up and goes to college. Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter stated “The thing they worry about the most is all the things in life that prevent them from being played with, and probably the thing they fear the most is being outgrown.” Ed Catmull also added “It feels like the summation of a trilogy,” adding that the filmmakers had hit on a big emotional finish to Toy Story 3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat May 30, 2009 5:03 pm

The original is one of my favorite animated films alongside Shrek and The Incredibles. I thought the second one was pretty bad and seemed like a shadow of the original. I hope this one is great.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:18 pm

I saw the 3D rerelease of Toy Story today. I think it's probably the first intelligent use of the stereoscopic technique so far, and that it's had to come from a 14 year old film says something about comtemporary "3D" movies. There were none of those unnecessary "stuff coming out of the screen at you AH!" moments but a consistent, subtle addition of depth to the visuals of the film. It's not the main concept of the film and so the story, which holds up so well, and the characters are the key focus.

Hopefully Toy Story 3 will not be made purely with 3D in mind (a trap which so many of these films tend to fall into now) and will continue to concentrate on more important things.

..a great primer for the release of Up at the end of the week.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Well the trailer popped up online today,but it's being pulled.
Here are two links that work (for the moment).

http://www.bscreview.com/2009/10/toy-story-3-trailer-watch-it-now/

http://judao.mtv.uol.com.br/cinema/veja-agora-o-novo-trailer-de-toy-story-3/
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Well the trailer popped up online today,but it's being pulled.
Here are two links that work (for the moment).

http://www.bscreview.com/2009/10/toy-story-3-trailer-watch-it-now/

http://judao.mtv.uol.com.br/cinema/veja-agora-o-novo-trailer-de-toy-story-3/

he hehe hehe

awesome...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby The Vicar on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:15 am

The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Nick on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am

Watched the trailer (twice) at the Toy Story 3D event. Looks like... well... another Toy Story.

Honestly the CGI doesn't look drastically different between the 3 (they really did nothing other than re-render in 3D the old files for Toy Story 1&2.) I mean, with Toy Story you can get away with making everything look almost flawless because they are made of plastic.
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby Maui on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Toys will be toys, but I do see a significant change in the rendering of the CGI human characters. More detail in their faces, how they show emotion, realistic human movements, etc.

Trailer looks fun!
Maui
WoWie

Postby BuckyO'harre on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:27 am

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:19 pm

TS3 looks pretty fun. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I don't think they would want to much of a difference between the three movies even though there has been a decade plus of CG innovations. I would think the cohesiveness of the three would be more important. Just like making The Princess and the Frog look like all the other princess movies of the last two decades.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:42 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Kristen Schaal is a dinosur! Kristen Schaal is a dinosaur! Kristen Schaal is a dinosaur!

*does waggle dance*

Awesome. And you know she's gonna end up with Rex. Kinda fitting that she should bag Wallace Shawn. They make a great couple, bar the age difference.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 pm

New trailer out today (note that it appears to give a seemingly big plot chunk).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:New trailer out

:o Totoro!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby blackcauldron85 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:30 pm

New Japanese trailer that has new footage (beware potential spoilers):

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/to ... se-trailer

I am so beyond excited for this!
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 pm

thanks for sharing that, I'm getting more and more excited

I had this discussion the other day after seeing HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, will Toy Story 3 be able to beat it for best animated picture?

I have confidence it will, my friends not so much
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby blackcauldron85 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 am

Bloo wrote:I had this discussion the other day after seeing HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, will Toy Story 3 be able to beat it for best animated picture?

I have confidence it will, my friends not so much

Now, I haven't seen HtTYD (I'm a bit anti-DreamWorks), but I must say that it looked like their best film, based on the trailers (I've heard how great Kung Fu Panda was despite the trailers)... But, this is Toy Story 3 we're talking about. What did your friends say in favor of HtTYD beating TS3?!? I KNOW that TS3 will become my favorite Pixar film. I have a good sense about these things.
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby Bloo on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 am

KUNG FU PANDA and HtTYD were both really good, Dragon was probably Dreamworks best computer animated film to date, maybe even their best movie to date (though I have a soft spot in my heart for ROAD TO EL DORADO).

It actually felt like, to me at least, something that could have come out of the Pixar labs, excellent voice work, touching story, not afraid to pull some punches, sweet message at the end. Combine that with NON TALKING and yet fully characterized dragons, and it works. Don't believe the trailers for DRAGON it's much, much, much better then the trailers would have you believe.

It'll be hard to beat, it's really going to come down to it and Toy Story 3.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:11 am

I just found out that Toy Story 3 isnt being released here until 27th August.

<Insert Noooooooooooo! button here>
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:22 am

Drew McMoriarty's review with mild spoilers.

I don't know, but I think Pixar will have a huge backlash soon, because I'm sure audiences are gonna get sick of all the sadness going on in recent Pixar productions and would love to have the more fun tone of the earlier movies back. Y'know, the movies that touched you in the right places of your heart instead of making you cry like a baby.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:33 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:Drew McMoriarty's review with mild spoilers.

Mild spoilers? I took a look at that earlier, and it seemed fairly massively spoilerish to me, so I stopped reading.
Sadly not in time to avoid finding out what the very final shot of the movie is.

Read with caution.

I dont think there is any need for a backlash either. Sure they go to some sad places, but normally in the service of the stories they are telling, and they still have plenty of fun in them. In a good enough movie there is plenty of room for many emotions, which is pixars strength. The only pixar movie I havent found to be hugely entertaining is Cars, simply because I guess im not that into cars in real life, all of the rest I have absolutely laughed my head off at.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Holy moly, this is currently scoring 100% at Rotten Tomatoes, w/ 77 reviews counted so far!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy moly, this is currently scoring 100% at Rotten Tomatoes, w/ 77 reviews counted so far!

Just as I suspected: a piece of crap!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy moly, this is currently scoring 100% at Rotten Tomatoes, w/ 77 reviews counted so far!

and it is earning the fresh tomatoes easily, not just barely clearing the bar....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Yup, it is currently scoring a phenomenal 8.8/10 and still holds the perfect 100% w/ 117 positive reviews! :shock:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 pm

I have just seen this movie, and it was INTERESTING!

The opening short "Day & Night" is perhaps the finest short made by Pixar, and funnily sets the tone for what's to follow in the feature: Day & Night has a message, and it delivers it rather poignantly. On top of that it makes a nice visual statement on animation. Seeing this in 3D made it a particularly delightful experience.

As for Toy Story 3, I don't know if the 3D really added anything to the experience. Which might be a good thing, it wasn't intrusive at all.

Toy Story 3 stands apart from the first two films, so much that it almost doesn't belong in the trilogy! Weird, yes, but it does round things out nicely to complete one of the finest movie trilogies in the past few decades.

But Toy Story 3 was so different from the first two films that I was pretty shocked over all, totally destabilized.

Especially when I started seeing *mild spoiler* thematic shades of SLAVERY, of all things, in the movie. I'm referring to the portion that was set-up like a prison escape story, but given the nature of the toys as personalities owned by others, it was more reminiscent of an Uncle Tom scenario than a proper prison escape. It was jarring at times, and it's not something you think of watching the first two films, but given the set-up here it jumped right at me.

I only had a very vague notion of the plot: that Andy had grown up and the toys were being "discarded."

Never in my wildest imagination would I have guessed any of the nightmarish odyssey that followed. In fact the movie is pretty dark, another thing that sets it apart from the first two: they had their share of sad moments and conflict, but in general the tone was very light and whimsical. In this movie though, there's a lot more gravity to the drama, particularly on the horrific side... *spoiler* you actually fear that these toys can die.

Toy Story 3 is a superbly executed and surprisingly mature film, and I wouldn't stand in the way of any of the praise it's been receiving. I'm a bit too cautious to call it "the best" of the trilogy, but it stands very well among its predecessors.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm

nice review, Pacino. way to give an idea of the quality without giving away too much of the content....
Last edited by Peven on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Oh nooooooooooooo! Rotten Tomatoes managed to find a couple of sourpuss reviewers who didn't like Toy Story 3, and its freshness rating has precipitously declined from 100% to a mere 99%!

Looks like Pixar finally screwed up big time ...

:wink:
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:26 am

Another thing: there were trailers for movies coming out of every major computer-animated film studio. All the trailers were shown in 3D.

Disney had a trailer for "Tangled," which basically seems like Rapunzel getting the "Shrek" treatment. Kinda feel bad for Disney, the trailer really makes the film seem like a spinoff of Shrek.

Dreamworks had a pretty derivative-looking movie previewed: something called "Brain Mind" or "Brain Twister" or "Master Brain" or "Mind Master." Really came across as a cheap copy of The Incredibles, except only with Mr. Incredible and the bad guy Orgazmo. Brad Pitt, channelling George Clooney and sounding a lot like Tim Allen, voices the hero character.

And lastly we had that trailer for "Legends of the Owls: Keepers of the Ga'hoole." That movie just looks odd, and perhaps a bit dull. Note to future marketing people: don't use Jared Leto's music when trying to sell a movie about owls to the public.

I can see why Pixar wouldn't have minded these trailers though, it was a brief showcase of how far behind some of the other studios can be at times in comparison to Pixar.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:13 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
Dreamworks had a pretty derivative-looking movie previewed: something called "Brain Mind" or "Brain Twister" or "Master Brain" or "Mind Master." Really came across as a cheap copy of The Incredibles, except only with Mr. Incredible and the bad guy Orgazmo. Brad Pitt, channelling George Clooney and sounding a lot like Tim Allen, voices the hero character.

Megamind. it is really more of a Will Farrell vehicle than a Brad Pitt show, apparently. they are riffing on the Superman story. baby sent to earth by parents from planet about to be destroyed...only this time there were two sets of parents who had the same idea.....

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/megamind/

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Maui on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 am

Pacino86845 wrote:And lastly we had that trailer for "Legends of the Owls: Keepers of the Ga'hoole." That movie just looks odd, and perhaps a bit dull. Note to future marketing people: don't use Jared Leto's music when trying to sell a movie about owls to the public.

I saw this trailer a few months back before another animated feature. It does look odd AND it's from the same people that brought us Happy Feet. :roll: I checked the IMDB - Zack Snyder directed this.

I'm avoiding all reviews and spoilers in this thread until I've seen the movie, which is tomorrow, in IMAX 3D.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:And lastly we had that trailer for "Legends of the Owls: Keepers of the Ga'hoole." That movie just looks odd, and perhaps a bit dull. Note to future marketing people: don't use Jared Leto's music when trying to sell a movie about owls to the public.

I saw this trailer a few months back before another animated feature. It does look odd AND it's from the same people that brought us Happy Feet. :roll: I checked the IMDB - Zack Snyder directed this.

I'm avoiding all reviews and spoilers in this thread until I've seen the movie, which is tomorrow, in IMAX 3D.

I didn't know what this trailer was. And at one point I turned to my brother and remarked: "Jeez, someone really, really liked 300". He just looked at me and replied: "Zach Snyder directed this. Just wait and you'll see." Sure enough, what followed was 2 minutes of slo-mo...he fucking brought the slo-mo with him over to animation! That guy is seriously ridiculous. Further, did anyone else conclude viewing that trailer without ANY idea of what the film was about? Beyond the fact that it involved warring owls? Yeesh.

As for Toy Story 3...I really liked it. The original Toy Story was released when I was 9, so it really is a franchise dear to me. The tone of the film was startling at first. I was expecting a film about the toys being left behind, but I was rather unprepared for what transpired. Pacino is really spot on with his review, so I won't really add much beyond the fact that I enjoyed it and am glad for it earned its place in the franchise.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Dude, you young! :D
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Dude, you young! :D

Born in 1986.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:47 pm

That's not too young.

Which means that I'm-

:shock:

a cougar?!

EDIT: Not implying that I've cougarized Lecko, just in general.
EDIT2: Not that there's anything wrong with cougarizing Lecko!
EDIT3: Oh darn it. :oops:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Dude, you young! :D

Born in 1986.

the year I graduated high school....

Peven
Is This Real Life?