Toy Story 3

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: Toy Story 3

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 am

A splendid film.What an ensemble voice cast!
It laughs at the rule of disappointing third entries.

Though I will say I almost expected some sort of gruesome death after all the talk about how it was so dark.
If you think this flick is disturbing then stay the hell away from a 70's toon called "The Mouse and His Child".Also a film about sentient toys,but it features some graphic demolition scenes.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:29 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:Though I will say I almost expected some sort of gruesome death after all the talk about how it was so dark.

Yeah, samesies. They do talk about some pretty heavy shit, but in the end they come out of it more or less okay.

Great movie though, and a great way to end the series. Probably the best of the bunch, if I had to rank them. At first I was a little concerned that they were going to recycle the "everybody hates/doesn't believe Woody" plot from the first film, but thankfully they got that out of the way pretty quickly. And I loved the insane opening scene where Andy makes the rules.

I was also a fan of the new cast of characters, especially Timothy Dalton as Mister Pricklypants, the method-acting toy porcupine.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:52 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:A splendid film.What an ensemble voice cast!

Though I will say I almost expected some sort of gruesome death after all the talk about how it was so dark.
If you think this flick is disturbing then stay the hell away from a 70's toon called "The Mouse and His Child".Also a film about sentient toys,but it features some graphic demolition scenes.

I remember that movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:19 pm

i just saw it this weekend. it was good. i can't really judge it in comparison to the other two, because i haven't seen the first two in a while. but it seemed about on par with those two, maybe slightly better. the incinerator moment was a nice moment, but i never really felt like they were in danger because a) i noticed the three green aliens weren't there and remembered the funny moment in the dump when they saw the "claw" so i knew how it was going to end, and b) i didn't really expect they would kill off any toys in this movie anyhow. i didn't cry, but if there was one moment that *almost* made me well up, it was when bonnie made woody wave goodbye to andy.

also, h@rry's review, which i held off on reading til after the seeing the movie, is kinda fucked up. but really, what else would you expect from a pathological man-child who still acts and thinks like a 12-year-old boy who just started going through puberty a month ago? in fact, all of h@rry's reviews make much more sense if you imagine him that way.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:I was also a fan of the new cast of characters, especially Timothy Dalton as Mister Pricklypants, the method-acting toy porcupine.

I couldn't believe they designed a character who wears liederhausen and then didn't make him a stereotypical German. That's retraint right there kids.

And I also held off on reading H@rry's review until after I saw the movie. I agree that it's totally mental. It's wiggity whack the way he almost calls the movie amoral for being about growing up. But it makes perfect sense out of how he's spent the last year piling endless praise on SCOTT PILGRIM's glorification of the manchild.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm now about 3/4's of the way through the film, I'd previously watched the first 1/4 a few months ago, and its definitely improving! I look forward to finishing it soon, it actually made me LOL pretty hard.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 am

From Thompson on Hollywood:
Michael Arndt Digs Into Toy Story 3 and the Genius of the Pixar System
Anne Thompson wrote:After studying writing as an assistant to Matthew Broderick, among other gigs, Michael Arndt finally wrote Little Miss Sunshine, which impressed quite a few people, screenwriter Robert Towne among them. (He gave Arndt an adaptation to do, which never got made.) Arndt won the original screenplay Oscar for that first produced screenplay. From there he went on to earn a rare solo credit on what many consider to be one of the year’s best films, Pixar’s Toy Story 3. We sat down for a long dig into the details of how to write a sequel to a beloved franchise at Pixar, which consistently turns out smart blockbusters, year after year: no mean feat.

Five years ago, as Little Miss Sunshine was still raising financing, Arndt was camped in a borrowed one-bedroom in West Hollywood looking for his next gig—not wanting to return to an eleventh winter in New York—when Sunshine producer Ron Yerxa recommended him to Pixar for an assignment. Arndt interviewed and landed the gig, and was writing a project for Lee Unkrich which was then set aside after Disney acquired Pixar and put John Lasseter in charge of the entire Disney animation unit. Then Lasseter assigned Unkrich and Arndt to Toy Story 3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:02 pm

From Variety:
Unkrich felt the weight to continue hit streak - For first pic, former editor revisited Buzz and Woody
Ellen Wolff wrote:When Lee Unkrich graduated from USC film school and became an editor, he couldn't imagine that his solo directing debut would be a 3D-animated feature that would break B.O. records and generate Oscar buzz.

But 16 years after taking a four-week editing gig at Pixar, Unkrich scored a smash directing "Toy Story 3."

"I'm the only director at the studio who's not an animator," he explains, "but CG films are bound more by the conventions of live-action than traditional animation, and I brought those instincts to the table."

Beyond editing several Pixar hits, Unkrich co-directed "Toy Story 2," "Monsters, Inc." and "Finding Nemo."

"My co-director credit was a way of legitimizing my role," he says. "Pixar has a co-director only if a director wants to be shored up. John Lasseter encouraged me not to have a co-director on 'Toy Story 3' because I'd never gotten any of the glory," Unkrich laughs. "Trusting me with these characters was like being handed the keys to John's expensive sports car."

Because Unkrich had edited the first two "Toy Story" films, he understood the characters well.

"Tom Hanks knows how to play Woody and Tim Allen knows how to play Buzz Lightyear, but it's been 11 years since they played those parts," he says. "It was my job to be the keeper of the flame and guide them back. One of the big challenges was making 'Toy Story 3' feel like it belonged with the first two. We didn't want the characters to change too much and look like they'd had bad plastic surgery. The choices we made were things that we would have done earlier if we'd had the technology."

Simply staging an outdoor chase was technically daunting in the original "Toy Story," while the latest film has a climatic scene in a city dump with thousands of moving parts.

"Which is not to say it's easy," Unkrich recalls. "I think we have technical directors who feel post-traumatic stress every time they pull out a trash bag."

Unkrich plans to direct another Pixar film, but for the moment he's savoring the success of the studio's 11th-consecutive hit.

"I did feel a lot pressure," he admits. "So many people said, 'This is my childhood you're messing with. Don't screw it up.' "
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:45 am

Am I a bad person, because I think it wasn't that awesome? It felt way too much like a re-hash of the first two to me. Still the same "Oh no, Andy doesn't play with me anymore" and "What happens to us, when our kid outgrows us?". And for any reason Lotso just felt like a slightly more threatening Stinky Pete to me. (Baby and the monkey were awesome, though).
What really bugged me, was how easy the Kindergarten break was. When it started, I was expecting an awesome adventure, but then they even defeated the monkey so easy, that I wondered what the fuzz was all about. They pretty much just walked out of the kindergarten without any trouble, until they reached the garbage can! And then came the only part that seriously had me invested!
Don't get me wrong, it's a very good movie and a good closure to the series, but it lacked the adventure and excitement of the first two movies. So yeah, to me, TOY STORY 3 is the weakest of the series. I like it, I recommend it to everybody who likes good movies, but I don't think it's that awesome.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:59 am

I think this film is well overrated. The film had MEN crying their hearts out more than any other film this year? What a load of BULLSHIT!!!

This film had a COP OUT ending. All this stuff about letting go and accepting your destiny that your love one will reject you in the end and how painful that is going to be and to be faced? Oh - it's OK - they find a new owner! Oh fuck off!! Life don't work like that! When it's over, it's OVER! Deal with that issue that you've been building up to all this time, not palm us off with a cowardly ending where you say everything's going to be OK. Everything is NOT going to be OK in life. In a situation like this, you hardly find a rescue happy ending like this.

When toys aren't wanted by their owner, most times they just get chucked out and destroyed, they rarely go to a new owner and if they do, they don't last as long or recieve as much love. So if you're gonna use this Toy Story as a metaphor for what goes on in life, then don't lie to us that there is a 2nd life after what you lose. Toys get destroyed, we get rejected and our hearts get destroyed. A lot of times we're left in emptiness with NO replacement. We just have to be courageous and carry on living with that loss and nothingness. It's what this movie should have told us. The REAL pain and that we just have to cope.
I certainly had no other choice in my life.

Also the Spanish Buzz got on my tits and went on far too long.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I don't think it's fair to compare it to COP OUT.

Did COP OUT even have an ending?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Also the Spanish Buzz got on my tits and went on far too long.

There are people who would pay a lot of money to get Spanish Buzz on their tits. It's quite, ah, stimulating, or so I'm told.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Kirk, what did you think of Inception? You don't like Toy Story 3. Don't like True Grit. It's like you just went in my movie journal and found my favorite films of the year and are now just going about systematically trashing them.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:27 pm

I like Inception tremendously. Which is like saying that I come close to loving it. Maybe I do, but don't know it. I'll decide on a 2nd viewing which I was planning on at the cinema.

I just think I adore it on a technical level on how well plotted and ingenious the story was as well as how well it was made and acted. I think the emotional connection isn't there QUITE enough for me, or maybe I want it to be more moving or more attention made to that Marion Cotillard part of the story than is needed. Again, it's the Christopher Nolan thing, that as well as his films are told and made, I'll never expect him to be the guy to make me cry.

When I'll watch it again, I may be more accepting of this film for being as it is as far as making me 'feel' in terms of identifying with the pain that Dicaprio's character goes through, rather than thinking, it's very similar to Shutter Island in this respect but not quite punching me internally as that film did.

Basically Inception was just a few stops short of being movingly fulfilling for me.

I haven't seen True Grit yet but I had a bad dream that me and Jeff Bridges were in jail for life for murder if that helps?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:59 pm

With Bridges, or with Bridges as Rooster Cogburn?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Just token studly Bridges with Hippy hair.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:43 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Am I a bad person, because I think it wasn't that awesome? It felt way too much like a re-hash of the first two to me. Still the same "Oh no, Andy doesn't play with me anymore" and "What happens to us, when our kid outgrows us?".

Yeah... it's the same fear of abandonment, but I'm actually glad they went back to that well. Because they raised a lot of legitimate questions in Toy Story 2 that they more or less put on hold by the end of the film. Although Andy's toys did get incredibly lucky to find a new owner (and a good one) instead of simply being junked, they finally had to deal with the reality that their original owner didn't need them anymore.

DerLanghaarige wrote:And for any reason Lotso just felt like a slightly more threatening Stinky Pete to me. (Baby and the monkey were awesome, though).

The monkey! Oh my god, the monkey! I had almost forgotten about that horrible horrible thing until I read your post. Thanks, now I'm going to have nightmares.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Am I a bad person, because I think it wasn't that awesome? It felt way too much like a re-hash of the first two to me. Still the same "Oh no, Andy doesn't play with me anymore" and "What happens to us, when our kid outgrows us?".

Yeah... it's the same fear of abandonment, but I'm actually glad they went back to that well. Because they raised a lot of legitimate questions in Toy Story 2 that they more or less put on hold by the end of the film. Although Andy's toys did get incredibly lucky to find a new owner (and a good one) instead of simply being junked, they finally had to deal with the reality that their original owner didn't need them anymore.

The difference in theme, to me, between Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 is that in 2, Woody had to realize what his destiny was - what his purpose was. Sure, the fear of abandonment was there, but it was about realizing his purpose. 3 is about accepting that the purpose has been fulfilled, and what comes next? For humans, generally after the kids are grown and gone, you find ways to self-actualize. For toys, well, they're toys - they had better find a kid to play with, so they can do it all again.

This is why I didn't like H@rry's review of Toy Story 3. He objected to Andy relinquishing his toys because he no longer needs them. H@rry, of course, would have kept them, and in the Toy Story universe, that would be tantamount to condemning the toys to failure - they never get to fulfill their purpose, because their kid still needs them even if he's forty years old. That can work for H@rry, but not for the toys - THEY have to move on, too.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Ha'rry is Wayne Knight from Toy Story 2.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Ha'rry is Wayne Knight from Toy Story 2.

Yeah, I think the Pixar guys based part of the character on H@rry. Seriously.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:31 am

i watched Se7en this past weekend, and i'm pretty sure the character of the Gluttony victim was also based on H@rry. i wonder what other characters have been based on him.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 am

TheBaxter wrote:i watched Se7en this past weekend, and i'm pretty sure the character of the Gluttony victim was also based on H@rry. i wonder what other characters have been based on him.

The Asteroid from Armageddon.

Not just for obvious reasons, but also because it is full of awful gas. Which comes out from Harry's mouth/posts.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am

SBIFF '11- Michael Arndt talks the pressure of writing "Toy Story 3"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:29 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:A splendid film.What an ensemble voice cast!

I used to watch "The Mouse and His Child" a lot as a kid.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Animation