Toy Story 3

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Re: Toy Story 3

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:That's not too young.

Which means that I'm-

:shock:

a cougar?!

EDIT: Not implying that I've cougarized Lecko, just in general.
EDIT2: Not that there's anything wrong with cougarizing Lecko!
EDIT3: Oh darn it. :oops:

:shock:

...Cougarized?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:48 am

"Cougarize"? New verb to me ...
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Maui on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:
Never in my wildest imagination would I have guessed any of the nightmarish odyssey that followed. In fact the movie is pretty dark, another thing that sets it apart from the first two: they had their share of sad moments and conflict, but in general the tone was very light and whimsical. In this movie though, there's a lot more gravity to the drama, particularly on the horrific side... *spoiler* you actually fear that these toys can die.

My friend whispered to me..."this is kinda dark for a Toy Story movie, isn't it?" lol

The scene where the toys were about to be scorched and they all looked desperately into each others eyes and held hands, I was seriously upset and horrified at the same time.

There are so many ridiculously fun moments in this film. Buzz seductively wooing Jessie being one of many. I loved their dancing to the Gypsy Kings during the credits!!! As well, when Mr. Potato Head become Mr. Tortilla Head.

Ken's fashion show scored to Freak Out was absolutely hilarious.

I must say they just nailed the mannerisms of Bonnie, the shy girl who ended up inheriting all the toys. Her facial expressions and body movements were just so impressive and shows just how far Pixar's talent/technology has come since the very first Toy Story (where the human expressions and movements were so stiff).

Anyways, I thought the film was fantastic - I loved it even though I was surprised by some of the darker themes in the story line. It will definitely become part of my Toy Story collection once the DVD is released.

Stick around for the credits, some fun stuff not to miss out on.
Maui
WoWie

Postby MacCready on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Maui wrote:Stick around for the credits, some fun stuff not to miss out on.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. Always good to know. Thinking I'll get to take my kid to this some time this weekend, as it seems this film will have some "legs" and is going to be around for a while. Cool.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Bloo on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:34 am

I was planning on seeing it today but work called and kept me there for 12 hours :shock: so I missed it. Probably be tuesday before I can see it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby King Psyz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:53 pm

I loved it, easily my favorite Pixar film.

Honestly see it in 3D for these reasons:

The Short NIght and Day NEEDS to be seen in 3D
They honestly didn't overdo it here, but adds a nice depth that just makes for an awesome viewing experience
The glasses will hide your crying eyes the last 20 minutes or so...

On a slightly related note, Harry is starting to scare me... his "review" for TS3 bothered the shit out of me. One for not getting it, but for his rage towards Andy and his completely bonkers notion Andy... the now 17/18 year old off to college should totally hook up with that hot little 4 year old trollop Bonnie and squeeze out some kids in 15 years so Woody can be re-united with Andy...

Sorry, I have a huge problem with that. Do we really have to foist your weird perversions on EVERY genre of film Harry? I started to really see you for who you are with the Human Centipede/Serbian film mess, but this is a bit much.

Leave it out of the kiddie movies, or just don't review those movies... Merrick's kid did a bang up job anyway, hire him full time.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 am

I loved it. Again. PIxar, they can do no wrong.

To me, it's just as good as the other two, and makes a perfect book end to the series. No one is really better than the other, and I'm really, really glad that we never got that stupid story that Disney was going to do a few years back were Buzz got recalled and the toys had to rescue him. That, is kinda retreading the story of part 2.

Though, the giant man child geek in me, I wouldn't have done what Andy did.

Andy giving up his toys at the end, and mind you I didn't read Harry's post till after I saw this, kinda, rubbed me the wrong way. Why? Maybe it's because I never willingly got rid of my favorite toys. If they didn't break as a kid, or were just an impulse buy, I kept them. I still have most of my Dinosaurs I had as a kid. The idea that we all have to kinda grow up and move on, just.. irks me. While Harry went a little off the deep end with his post, he did make a "few" good points, mostly, never dumping your childhood. So many people do that and they become humorless Struggling Background Artists and assholes. I don't know.. again it's probably just me. I still have a lot of my toys as I said (as I look at my Ninja Megazord) and have spent a good deal of money I've earned as an adult re obtaining those I lost as a kid. Not to mention, all of these movies make a huge deal over collage. While an education is crucial, I'd love to see the reality of it.> Andy heads off to school. Changes his major 20 times because he has no idea what the fuck he's doing. Fails a few of his math requisite classes. Hooks up with a few chicks he'd rather forget about, and when he graduates with that fine degree, is left with 10 years of financial debt that was racked up in 4. Only to go on after school, to learn that he's not really going anywhere in what ever field he earned his degree in and is stuck working at a best buy paying off his loans. That's a whole movie right there!

but sans my nit picking, I still loved this film. No teary eye like UP, but still gets you in the core..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:20 pm

...none of these digital-cartoon characters reflect human experience; it’s essentially a bored game that only the brainwashed will buy into. Besides, Transformers 2 already explored the same plot to greater thrill and opulence.

Armond White, New York Press
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Psyz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 pm

is he ALF? I mean Palin-American?
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

He also said people should watch Jonah Hex instead.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Maui on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 am

King Psyz wrote:
The Short NIght and Day NEEDS to be seen in 3D
They honestly didn't overdo it here, but adds a nice depth that just makes for an awesome viewing experience
The glasses will hide your crying eyes the last 20 minutes or so...

There's a "The Making of Pixar's Night and Day" clip on youtube. I'm not going to post it here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen TS3 yet. It's really neat to see the brains behind this incredible Pixar short, which is so very different from their previous shorts. The 3D isn't hugely noticeable for TS3 but for Night and Day it really adds so much depth to what they are trying to achieve with the animation.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Bayouwolf on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I liked it, but I still thought the first one was far more heartfelt and genuine.
Granted, this one played to much darker undertones and was generally more "adult" than the first, but it's a fitting closure piece to a wonderful trilogy of films. To me, it felt like the films grew up with Andy. I don't know if that's what the whole story was intentionally supposed to feel like, but that's what I took away.

I had really hoped for a different outcome, one where Andy ends up taking Woody to college and we get a photo montage of all the places Andy takes him (like a flat Stanley), and then the reuniting of all his toys after graduation...Something like that...

Oh, and I didn't ever get the urge to cry. I guess that makes me a heartless bastard, or maybe it's simply because I just can't relate to giving my toys away :wink:

9/10
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 am

Toy Story 5: Zombie toys enslave humanity?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:Toy Story 5: Zombie toys enslave humanity?

I hear Sam Raimi is interested in directing.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 pm

so i just got done reading grande rojo's review, and the thing that he fails to realize is that we already got a glimpse of the andy he wants to see in the second toy story trilogy. Wayne Knight did his voice in Toy Story 2.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Is there sadness in this movie? I fell asleep after 30 mins, I honestly thought I was watching a remakequal of 2, even the metaphor of falling as abandonment was reused. Does it get better? I presume I can rule out any zombie apocalypse shenanigans happening to wake me up. Oh yeah The phreaking potato eye trick was teh awesome, granted.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:
Ribbons wrote:Toy Story 5: Zombie toys enslave humanity?

I hear Sam Raimi is interested in directing.

That guy gets around...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I'd guess we'd get Rob Zombie's re-imagining in which all the toys are beat down ugly toys who belong to a redneck family. Jessie and Bo Peep are lesbian strippers
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:37 pm

I just saw this. Here's what I put in mymovie journal:

43. Toy Story 3 - A perfect film. The best Toy Story film (and I never thought it would be better thanthe excellent original). It was pure entertainment. It hadaction, laughs,drama, emotion. Great characters, great moments. Great writing. Great animation/effects. Without a doubt, best animated filmof the year. Should be up for the Best Picture Oscar if there's justice in the world. And fuck F@t Man Knowles. The ending was amazing. 10/10.

Man, I had thehugest grin from the opening play sequence. That was so good. And that incineratorsequence got theeyes to water a bit. And the deus ex machina there was so perfect I should have seen it coming. ButPixaris so good at what they do, they honestly had me convinced for a few seconds that all these characters would die.
Why can't more movie studios put as muchqualityinto their films?

EDIT: Spoiler tags added for the sensitive. I thought I remained spoiler free, but I've added some.
Last edited by Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby MacCready on Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:45 pm

Um...spoilers?
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:43 pm

I just posted this in Knowles' facebook page. Let's see if it gets a response.

You're "review" of Toy Story 3 missed the point of the film, I think. I don't agree with a lot of your reviews, but I almost always find something enjoyable/likeable in them. Not this time. It was like someone stole your childhood, so you were taking out your angst. It seemed selfish or something.

Still enjoy the ...site (especially The Zone, which you should link your front page stories to actual existing topic threads there, like most other entertainment sites), but I hope your future reviews are less angry/stilted.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Maui on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:29 pm

I watched this again last night and I've decided that Big Baby and Cymbal Monkey deserve a spot on my list for best horror movie villains. :shock:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:33 am

A couple of kids started crying when Cymbal monkey was really doing his thing in the show I was at. I sort of thought it was funny. But I guess for small children it could have been scary.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby tapehead on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 am

I didn't go into this expecting a grave moment of stoic bravery in the face of death, let alone that the film would hold that moment and ruminate upon it for so long, not make a gag of it or let it pass quickly; it got to me like no other moment in a Pixar movie since Marlin and Nemo helped Dory sand the grouper fight their way out of the fishing net, and I'd have to say it hit me harder than that. I'm not sure if small children will appreciate what is going on in that moment; I think it requires some life experience and perhaps even some 'death experience'.

But it's still such fun times - the opening five or ten minutes is mind-bendingly brilliant 8 year old fantasy, and elsewise it's one of the most remarkable 3D experiences in the cinema yet - especially when they remember how much one loses their depth perception in the dark and correspondingly light most of the film adequately.

I'd seriously consider that Pixar really are the peers and equals of Hayao Miyazaki, Studio Ghibli and the best of Japanimation at this point (nice shout out to Totoro). It's almost a shame this film comes at the end of the trilogy, since people will have strong preconceptions based on the previous instalments of what these Toys' stories might hold in store.

In retrospect I think people will agree that the series got darker, more beautiful and more interesting as it went on.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:14 pm

i saw this last night with my two youngest sons, 12 and 14 years old, at a Drive-In...

and by the end credits I felt pretty confident in saying that it was my favorite of the 3, the best of the 3 as well.

btw, the drive-in was packed, they were playing Toy Story 3 and Twilight:Eclipse.....we only stayed for TS3, still great little country drive-in, they play current big movies and admission is $3 for 12 and under and $6 for adults, and always a double bill, of course. they don't kill you at the snack bar either

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Peven wrote:i saw this last night with my two youngest sons, 12 and 14 years old, at a Drive-In...

and by the end credits I felt pretty confident in saying that it was my favorite of the 3, the best of the 3 as well.

btw, the drive-in was packed, they were playing Toy Story 3 and Twilight:Eclipse.....we only stayed for TS3, still great little country drive-in, they play current big movies and admission is $3 for 12 and under and $6 for adults, and always a double bill, of course. they don't kill you at the snack bar either

Did you sneak them in your trunk?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 pm

in a canoe on the roof rack......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby MacCready on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:40 am

Really enjoyed this, darker tone and all. Probably my favorite of the series.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby justcheckin on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:15 pm

tapehead wrote:I didn't go into this expecting a grave moment of stoic bravery in the face of death, let alone that the film would hold that moment and ruminate upon it for so long, not make a gag of it or let it pass quickly; it got to me like no other moment in a Pixar movie since Marlin and Nemo helped Dory sand the grouper fight their way out of the fishing net, and I'd have to say it hit me harder than that. I'm not sure if small children will appreciate what is going on in that moment; I think it requires some life experience and perhaps even some 'death experience'.

Another one that got me at the end was wall-e. Pixar is very good at connecting to the adult audience with emotions. Also what makes Toy Story 3 have a greater impact is that we have known those characters for a decade and they have become the symbols of our Pixar experience. So when they are at a point where death is close, we feel like we are there with them sharing that friendship.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby MacCready on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:06 am

Yup. Actually started to get the old "lump in the throat" ( and I'm not talking about Lupe) during that scene. Manipulated? Sure. Successfully? Yeah.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Toy Story 3 is the highest-grossing animated film of all-time

Of course, a lot of that is probably thanks to the rise of 3D
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Wiccan Woman on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 pm

Peven wrote:i saw this last night with my two youngest sons, 12 and 14 years old, at a Drive-In...

How were the mosquitos, Pev? :lol: I miss the drive-in in the ol' hometown....it blew over in a storm. :( Now I want to find the nearest drive-in...(leaving for Google)

Saw TS3, after NOT having seen the prior two...and LMAO! It was a little darker than I expected, but perhaps they expected a lot of their audience to be Lecko, who grew up with TS?

When MrPH went taco, I thought of the old Bette Midler joke of "If God didn't intend for men to eat it, He wouldn't have made it look like a taco." Where the heck did that come from???
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:17 am

What if it looks like a burrito?
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 am

What if it looks like refried beans?
minstrel

Postby Wiccan Woman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 pm

minstrel wrote:What if it looks like refried beans?

If it looks like refried beans, you're tripping on something good... share?

What's it mean if it looks like there's guacamole on top? :oops:
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Wiccan Woman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:35 pm

The Vicar wrote:What if it looks like a burrito?

then you're hungry, not horny. :wink:
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Wiccan Woman wrote:

There's a difference?
The Vicar

Postby Wiccan Woman on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:37 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Wiccan Woman wrote:

There's a difference?

I know a lot of people who can go a week without sex, but a week without food?
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Wiccan Woman wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Wiccan Woman wrote:

There's a difference?

I know a lot of people who can go a week without sex, but a week without food?

If I was going a week without food, and they told me that on Thursday I could have sex or eat,
I would vote for sex. More fun than eating. More fun than laughing.
The Vicar

Postby minstrel on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:24 am

I remember the good old days when this thread used to be about Toy Story 3.

Then it started being about Mexican food. That was cool.

Now it's about sex and starving.

There's only one thing it could be about after being about sex.

And that's football.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:53 pm

How about playing football while having sex and a sandwich?
That's still somewhat about Toy Story 3...there's a woody involved, at any rate.
The Vicar

Postby Wiccan Woman on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 pm

minstrel wrote:I remember the good old days when this thread used to be about Toy Story 3.

Then it started being about Mexican food. That was cool.

Now it's about sex and starving.

There's only one thing it could be about after being about sex.

And that's football.

Done.

http://www2.disney.co.uk/toystory3/pinball/
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:24 pm

Wow.

WW, I am gobsmacked, as they say in whatever place it is where they say gobsmacked. I had no idea that Toy Story 3 Football Pinball existed. And yet, there it is. Did it really exist before I made my post last night? Not possible.

Therefore, I am a god. Or you are a goddess. Or both. We are divine. Let us together don the mantle of our divinity and ascend from the sphere of mere mortals into that Heavenly Arcade which is to come. There, we shall toy with our woodies and buzz.
:wink:
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:01 pm

and with that it's back to sex
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby The Vicar on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Heh heh heh.......
The Vicar

Postby Wiccan Woman on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:49 pm

minstrel wrote:Wow.

WW, I am gobsmacked, as they say in whatever place it is where they say gobsmacked. I had no idea that Toy Story 3 Football Pinball existed. And yet, there it is. Did it really exist before I made my post last night? Not possible.

Therefore, I am a god. Or you are a goddess. Or both. We are divine. Let us together don the mantle of our divinity and ascend from the sphere of mere mortals into that Heavenly Arcade which is to come. There, we shall toy with our woodies and buzz.
:wink:

Just for you, Minstrel. After all, a void needed filling. :D I'm down with the buzz, and the best part is that my woody buzzes :lol:

I have a little friend and introduced her to Pinball Pete's....they still have the good old iron whores that you can tilt, woohoo! It cost me a bundle of quarters, but well worth watching her little addiction grow, heh, heh....
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:19 am

I finally saw Toy Story 3.

Twas good...possibly making the first flawless film trilogy in history.

I did not cry though. And if you did, you are a gaylord.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:16 am

I only cried a little bit - and everyone is a little bit Dumbledore, so that's alright.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:32 am

I rented this last night and I really loved it. I agree with Tapehead that the moment when they all cling together as they're being pushed into the furnace was what got me the most. The story was really good.

I can understand why the makers of Care Bears wouldn't want their product used as a villain in a movie like this and so the filmmakers made him a Care Bear knockoff, but good for the makers of Barbie for allowing this funny portrayal of Ken.

This was a really fun, funny, and touching movie. Great stuff.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

PreviousNext

Return to Animation