Yellow Submarine (Now w/ 100% More Dead)

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Yellow Submarine (Now w/ 100% More Dead)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:36 pm

From Variety:
Disney, Zemeckis Board 'Yellow Submarine'
Mike Fleming wrote:Disney and director Robert Zemeckis are negotiating to remake “Yellow Submarine,” the 1968 psychedelic animated film based on the music of The Beatles.

The studio has been quietly brokering a complicated rights deal that would give Zemeckis access to 16 original Beatles songs for a movie he will direct in the performance-capture 3-D digital production format he employed for “A Christmas Carol.” Disney opens that film November 6, with Jim Carrey playing Scrooge as well as the three ghosts who haunt him in the Charles Dickens tale.

The hope is to have "Yellow Submarine" ready to premiere around the 2012 Summer Olympics, which begins July 27 in London.

Disney would not comment on the negotiations or the project. Zemeckis’s ImageMovers would produce.

The deal marries cutting-edge 3-D feature technology with a surging reinterest in The Beatles, who appeared only in the film’s closing scene. Actors provided the voices for the animated characters of Beatles Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

The storyline of the original took place in Pepperland, an undersea paradise protected by Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. When the band is captured by the music-hating Blue Meanies, a soldier is sent to Liverpool to fetch the Fab Four, who hop in the submarine and save the day.

Key to the deal is Zemeckis’ ability to use a treasure trove of classic Beatles tunes, from the title song to “All Together Now,” “Baby You’re a Rich Man,” “All You Need Is Love,” “When I’m 64,” “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” and “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.”

The deal has been months in the making with armies of lawyers and sources said that rights will encompass the future prospects of a Broadway stage musical -- much as Disney accomplished with “The Lion King,” a Cirque du Soleil stage production (“Love,” a production based on Beatles tunes, has been running for two years at The Mirage) and merchandise.

“Yellow Submarine” is just the latest in a flurry of pacts for The Beatles. September will be a big month for the band that broke up in 1970, with the release of a flurry of remastered records and the vidgame “The Beatles: Rock Band.”

Disney's talks follow the astounding $60 million deal that Sony made to turn the rehearsal footage for the final Michael Jackson concerts into a feature film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Yellow Submarine

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 pm

What. Is. The. Point?

Are they going to remake Steamboat Willie and Snow White in 3D CGI too?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Fried Gold wrote:What. Is. The. Point?

Hey! What a GREAT IDEA! You're a genius, FG! We should forward this to Hollywood IMMEDIATELY!!

And also, how 'bout The Great Train Robbery? And Birth Of A Nation, while we're at it!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

throw in a remake of triumph of the will, and you got yourself a deal.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby buster00 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:06 pm

Let's remake A Hard Day's Night with the Jonas Brothers hurrrrrr durrrrrrr
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 pm

Another mocap joint by Robert Zemeckis; quelle surprise. Next thing you know Michael Mann's going to make a film using digital camera!

Although I actually think an updated version of Yellow Submarine would be kind of neat. Can't be worse than Across the Universe, right?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:31 pm

Remember when Zemekis used to make real movies? I miss that guy.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:49 pm

This is a joke thread.

Or at least, it's a hollywood joke. Ie to take the piss out of us geeks...or something like that.

It's got to be. Yellow Submarine is pretty much all about the beatles and nothing else. There's nothing much more to say about it.

Maybe S-club could do it? Or Back street boys?

Umm.....no. This will be the best joke ever.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Are they going to remake Steamboat Willie and Snow White in 3D CGI too?

Steamboat willie has been done.

As for yellow submarine, just another dirty pointless cash grab, that will be lapped up. Zemeckis needs to have a word with himself.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:01 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 am

I'm a little surprised that I'm saying this, but... I'm excited about this movie
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby jackjones on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Disney does'nae have a clue ....
jackjones
GLIB

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:46 pm

minstrel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:What. Is. The. Point?

Hey! What a GREAT IDEA! You're a genius, FG! We should forward this to Hollywood IMMEDIATELY!!

And also, how 'bout The Great Train Robbery? And Birth Of A Nation, while we're at it!

A trip to the Moon, that is what I was thinking...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 am

Zemeckis remaking Yellow Submarine? Whoopity-do!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm

From Bleeding Cool:
Zemeckis’ Yellow Submarine To Be Captured In April
That headline isn’t a pun or weird allusion – it’s the best way I can literally describe what’s going to happen. The film isn’t going to be shot, exactly, seeing as it’s going to be a performance capture film. Saying that the cast and crew will convene in April to capture the movie is the best I can do.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:49 pm

HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE:
Disney Kills Robert Zemeckis’ ‘Yellow Submarine’
Borys Kit wrote: The Walt Disney Co. has deep-sixed Mars Needs Moms producer Robert Zemeckis’ planned next project for the studio, the high-profile remake of the classic Beatles film Yellow Submarine, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Submarine was already facing a few rocky reefs before this weekend. There were budget issues, and a key presentation Zemeckis was to have made before the Beatles heirs kept being pushed back. A December date for the confab was scrapped and never rescheduled. But sources say the disastrous $6.9 million opening for the $150 million-budgeted Mars, produced by Zemeckis, guaranteed that Submarine would never set sail at Disney. The producer-director is now free to shop the project to another studio.

Zemeckis, the Oscar-winning director of Back to the Future, Forrest Gump and Cast Away, generated big headlines in August 2009 when he first set up the remake of the 1968 animated feature based on music by the Beatles. THR then revealed in January 2010 that the Fab Four would be played by Cary Elwes, Dean Lennox Kelly, Peter Serafinowicz and Adam Campbell.

The plan was to use 16 Beatles songs in the film, which was to employ cutting-edge motion-capture technology similar to Zemeckis’ Beowulf, A Christmas Carol and Mars Needs Moms. Zemeckis secured the cooperation of Apple Corps, which controls the rights to the rock group’s library. (Its movie arm, Apple Films, was one of the companies behind the original pic.)

But in the wake of the box-office disapointment of 2009’s Carol, and with other animated movies pushing the envelope in terms of aesthetics, there were also concerns within Disney about the look of motion capture, especially the way human characters are depicted. (“Creepy” is the word often used.) Those same concerns, insiders say, led to Disney shutting down Zemeckis’ ImageMovers studio in May 2010.

Now this weekend’s opening of Mars sealed Submarine’s fate, and the movie is not going forward at Disney.

According to sources, Zemeckis left town over the weekend, flying to Montana to regroup. He is said to be eyeing a live-action project to direct. But part of the regrouping process could include finding a new home for Submarine.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 am

Thank you Disney!
Now let's see some new original projects filmed with the soul-less motion capture.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I will not be upset if every studio passes on this.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Yellow Submarine (Now w/ 100% More Dead)

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Does anyone really care about Zemeckis anymore? I mean, his time has kind of passed, hasn't it?
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah, he pretty much flushed away all credibility he had, with his MoCap moviesl Neither the nerd or the critics seem to give a shit about him anymore.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby so sorry on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

TheButcher wrote:HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE:
Borys Kit wrote:...But sources say the disastrous $6.9 million opening for the $150 million-budgeted Mars[Needs Moms], produced by Zemeckis...

:shock: Youch, that's gotta hurt.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Seppuku on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:18 pm

All they had to do was get the Beatles to wear shades all the time and it could've been OK.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:46 pm

sorry, BeeGees. looks like you're still stuck with the worst beatles movie of all time.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm kinda trying to imagine the possibilities this movie actually could have had. I mean a psychedelic movie in 3D. Oh well. Sad.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:05 am

magicmonkey wrote:I'm kinda trying to imagine the possibilities this movie actually could have had. I mean a psychedelic movie in 3D. Oh well. Sad.

I know, I'm with you on this one monkey. I don't think an update of Yellow Submarine is necessary or culturally relevant in the slightest, but it would have been cool to see what they could come up with now that there aren't as many technological limitations.

TheButcher wrote:HEAT VISION EXCLUSIVE:
Borys Kit wrote:...But sources say the disastrous $6.9 million opening for the $150 million-budgeted Mars, produced by Zemeckis...

Mars Needs Moms cost $150 million dollars!? :shock: Who thought THAT was a good idea?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 am

for $150 million, i could build an actual rocket ship, fill it with actual moms, and send them to the actual real planet of Mars.

and probably made more of a profit than this film did.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby buster00 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 am

Dead? This project is dead?

THANK GOD. At least something went right today.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 am

TheBaxter wrote:for $150 million, i could build an actual rocket ship, fill it with actual moms, and send them to the actual real planet of Mars.

and probably made more of a profit than this film did.

to paraphrase Spike Lee "if I had 150 millions dollars I could make a 150 motherfucking movies"
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:03 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 02, 2012 2:41 am

The Beatles' Restored Yellow Submarine Feature Film Set For Theatrical Release In May
Once upon a time...or maybe twice...there was an unearthly paradise called Pepperland...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:25 am

Yellow Submarine No Longer Moving Forward with Director Robert Zemeckis
"That would have been a great one to bring The Beatles back to life. But it's probably better not to be remade - you're always behind the 8-ball when do you a remake. It gets harder and harder [to make movies]. With the current state of the industry, it's difficult to stay passionate about it. The hardest thing for a filmmaker as he's aging is saying, "How much more of this crap can I take?" It's tough, I can only do it if I have a script to believe in. Like Flight."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation