GDT Toons

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

GDT Toons

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:02 pm

From Variety:
Disney in cartoon deal with Del Toro - Double Dare You label to produce animated films

MARC GRASER wrote:"As a director, I love to take audiences into fantastic new worlds and provide them with some anxious moments in the process," del Toro said. "It is part of the Disney canon to create thrilling, unforgettable moments and villains in all their classic films."

While the projects will take Disney's toon division in a new direction, "The emphasis is on fun, and we have some great ideas already on the storyboards," del Toro said.

First pic will be "Trollhunters," based on an original story from the helmer. The pics will all be tied together by "one feature that shall remain secret, but that you shall soon be very familiar with," del Toro said in a video that was played at the Mouse's first D23 fan confab in Anaheim on Friday.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Trollhunters

Postby King Psyz on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:44 pm

oh I thought it was something to do with message board moderators
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Bob Samonkey on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 pm

I thought it was a new show on the Sifi channel....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:10 am

From /film:
Guillermo del Toro Says Disney Double Dare You ‘Is Gone’

Guillermo del Toro wrote:Some of those big deals I’d made, with Disney and Universal, I had to dance really fast to be able to get a period of grace to shoot those Hobbit movies, and then be able to make those deals active again. That period came and went, and we were not shooting. That Disney Double Dare You deal is gone. I am developing a relationship with DreamWorks that’s still to be defined, but it’s not as it was going to be at Disney. Disney was a beautiful opportunity, but with the timing and the delays and everything, I couldn’t activate it.

THR EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo del Toro, DreamWorks Ani strike deal - Director to consult on films; 'Trollhunters' set up
Borys Kit wrote:Guillermo del Toro has fallen under the spell of animation and is setting up "Trollhunters," a feature project he will write and direct at DreamWorks Animation.

After visiting DWA's campus in Glendale, Calif., on a weekly basis for most of the summer, del Toro also has decided to make DWA his animation home: He will serve as a consultant and exec producer on several projects already in development, including "Kung Fu Panda 2," "Puss in Boots" and one yet-to-be-revealed project. His fingerprints will even be on DWA's next feature, "Megamind," which hits theaters Nov. 5.

In an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter, del Toro said animation has caught his eye because he believes that during the next 10 years, the entertainment landscape will shift into a transmedia world -- a confluence of movies, TV, books, video and online -- and artists will need to be educated in all aspects of media.

"Transmedia," he said, "will not just be a buzz word."

The filmmaker also is convinced that animation has evolved into a medium that can attract moviegoers of all ages, including older audiences. "And I want to know it from the inside," he said. He views his role as an adviser on animated features as part of his education.

"Trollhunters," a working title, is based on a young-adult book del Toro submitted to publisher Hyperion about two weeks ago. He originally came up with the idea around the time he sold "The Strain," the vampire book trilogy he is writing with Chuck Hogan, and he has been working on it since.

"I wanted very much to develop a story that could be written for kids but dealt with a genre that was scary," he said. "It essentially combines fairy tales with modern times and is about how difficult it is to be kid. Normally, kids are idealized in animated films. But the growing pains, married with the notion that there is a world right next to us that is completely plagued by creatures of ancient lore, it's thematically fitting with the rest of my stuff."

Due to the evolutionary process of animated filmmaking, the script will be written and rewritten over a period of time, including during production. Del Toro has already started writing "Trollhunters" and plans on finishing it before he shoots "At the Mountains of Madness."

In the meantime, though, del Toro will be busy at DWA.

Guillermo Navarro, del Toro's frequent director of photography, pushed the director toward the animation house, where Navarro served as a cinematography consultant on the "Madagascar" movies. (Del Toro and Navarro aren't the only live-action filmmakers spending time at DWA; the studio also enlisted Oscar-winning cinematographer Roger Deakins to advise on the lighting in "How to Train Your Dragon.")

Del Toro said he was especially struck by what the studio accomplished with "Dragon." "They took risks with that movie with pathos and imagination and structure. It made me pay attention," he said.

Del Toro said he met with DWA CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg six months ago and they immediately clicked, so much so that del Toro agreed to work on "Megamind" before any dealmaking began. He has been helping DWA with the editing and structure of the movie, hoping to give it a brisker rhythm.

"What is fun to see is that the editing process in live action is not useful in animation," he said, laughing.

This summer, he often brought along his 14-year-old daughter to DWA in order to get a sense of how the company works. He just secured his own office there.

Del Toro believes he is joining DWA just as the company's "cultural footprint is growing," especially with movies such as "Kung Fu Panda" and "Dragon."

"Those movies went in interesting directions, and I think we will try to steer the projects that I'm involved in into those kinds of directions without making the company lose its identity," he said.

Already, he's come to realize that aspects such as layout and staging are different in animation, and so is screenplay development. "Sometimes in the live-action world, it takes weeks to get a response," del Toro said. "With (DWA), it takes a maximum a day."

The biggest difference he's seen is that in animation, "each of the steps you refine and refine and refine until its final form. It's much more malleable than a live-action movie."

Del Toro isn't abandoning live action, of course. He is beginning his fourth week of design work with Lightstorm Entertainment on his directorial project "At the Mountains of Madness." He is having a summit with Universal in three weeks at which he and his team will present a budget, art and maquettes to the studio's execs, and "cross your fingers, we hope to get a greenlight."

Meanwhile, he is in development on the "Haunted Mansion" movie at Disney and plans to produce a Universal project titled "Midnight Delivery" (most of his slate is set up at Universal). Is he starting to spread himself too thin?

"People say, 'How does he do it?' Well, I don't work on them at the same time," del Toro said. " 'Midnight Delivery,' I wrote 11 years ago. The fact that they are happening now is flattering and great, but it doesn't mean I'm writing seven screenplays at one time."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 am

I thought this was that new film where they go looking for Kirsten Dunst.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:I thought this was that new film where they go looking for Kirsten Dunst.

:lol:

From ToH:
Del Toro Talks Future Projects and DreamWorks Deal, Jackson Fights Unions on Hobbit
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:33 am

Holy crap this guy's spent like five years talking about future projects... JUST MAKE SOMETHING DAMN IT!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: while slightly

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 am

opqr502 wrote:"Yes ah! Meng brothers are just.

That's my new catch phrase!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Re: Pinocchio

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 pm

DEADLINE EXCLUSIVE:
Guillermo Del Toro Starting Stop-Motion 'Pinocchio' Feature With Henson And Pathe
Guillermo del Toro, The Jim Henson Company and Pathe are ready to go on Pinocchio, a 3D stop motion animated adaptation of the Carlo Collodi fairy tale that will be edgier than the 1940 animated Disney classic. Gris Grimly will co-direct with Mark Gustafson, and production will begin later this year. Grimly illustrated a 2002 book of Collodi’s tale that formed the basis for a project that is years in the making.

The storyline was hatched by Del Toro and Matthew Robbins, and the script was written by the latter, who has collaborated with del Toro on scripts for Mimic, the remake Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, and del Toro’s next directing project At the Mountains of Madness. Del Toro will produce with Jim Henson Company’s Lisa Henson and Jason Lust, and Allison Abbate. Gary Ungar is exec producer along with Pathe’s Francois Ivernel and Cameron McCracken.

This version is aimed at an audience 10 years and up, and a bit scarier than the Disney film. Australian rock musician and film composer Nick Cave has signed on to be music consultant and the puppets and 3D elements will be developed with MacKinnon and Saunders, the UK-based facility that worked on The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride, and the upcoming Frankenweenie. Del Toro supplied the accompanying photos to convey the feel of a film that shares a core theme from the Disney film: the innocent whose inherent goodness, purity and love for his father saves him from a series of harrowing adventures and temptations in his quest to morph from wooden puppet to real boy.

“There has to be darkness in any fairy tale or children’s narrative work, something the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson and Walt Disney understood,” del Toro said. “We tend to call something Disney-fied, but a lot of people forget how powerfully disturbing the best animated Disney movies are, including those kids being turned into donkeys in Pinocchio. What we’re trying to do is present a Pinocchio that is more faithful to the take that Collodi wrote. That is more surreal and slightly darker than what we’ve seen before.”

For instance: “the Blue Fairy is really a dead girl’s spirit,” del Toro said. “Pinocchio has strange moments of lucid dreaming bordering on hallucinations, with black rabbits. The sperm whale that swallows Pinocchio was actually a giant dogfish, which allows for more classical scale and design. The many mishaps Pinocchio goes through include several near-death close calls, a lot more harrowing moments. The key with this is not making any of it feel gratuitous, because the story is integrated with moments of comedy and beauty. He’s one of the great characters, whose purity and innocence allows him to survive in this bleak landscape of robbers and thugs, emerging from the darkness with his soul intact.”

The project comes along at a time when Del Toro and producer James Cameron are two weeks away from getting a green light decision from Universal Pictures on At the Mountains of Madness, the R-rated $125 million 3D live action adaptation of the HP Lovecraft tale about the discovery by scientists of horrific aliens thawing in Antarctica. The film has Tom Cruise attached, and del Toro told me that “we are doing very intense prep work, we’ve shown Universal tests, designs and they are very very happy. I hope to start this as soon as possible, by May. This long process has been a blessing, because we’ve had two years of full pre-production. I have gotten to be involved in every meeting and key decision, during part of The Hobbit process and post-Hobbit.”

Though he’s an accomplished multi-tasker, how does del Toro have time to get involved in an animated feature getting underway at the same time? He told me that when he and Robbins originally did the screenplay nearly four years ago, he intended to direct. Del Toro has long been a stop motion fan. “I’ve had a special effects house for a decade in Mexico, and we were one of the first stop motion animated houses where a lot of influential animators trained,” he said. ”I put that down to do Pan’s Labyrinth and when Matthew and I came back to it in 2008, we added some great ideas that made it funnier and livelier, and we enlisted the aid of Nick Cave. For me, it was most important to find that voice and a big part of that is the music of the movie. But I could not make the time to direct it myself.”

His choice was Grimly ( whose original book animation was the project’s catalyst) and Gustafson, who was animation director of The Fantastic Mr. Fox, the Wes Anderson-directed stop motion adaptation of the Roald Dahl tale.

“We’ve designed key frames and characters, we know the mood and the feel, we’ve created a bible,” del Toro said. “ Shooting stop motion animation takes a lot time, but we’ve got the right team and I will be there for daily or weekly updates on how it’s going,” the tireless del Toro said.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:54 pm

From Bloody Disgusting November 14, 2008:
Guillermo del Toro's 'Pinocchio' Officially Announced!

Bloody Disgusting Exclusive November 12, 2008:
Gris Grimly & Guillermo del Toro Team For Stop-Motion 'Pinocchio'!
SpookyDan wrote:Last night SpookyDan hit up a special DVD/Blu-ray release party for Universal Home Entertainment's Helboy II: The Golden Army where he had the chance to talk with both creator Mike Mignola and director Guillermo del Toro. Inside you can read about the HOBBIT, more HELLBOYs and read our exclusive breaking news on a new stop-motion animated version of Pinocchio he'll be working on with artists Gris Grimly!

Last night at the HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY DVD/Blu-ray launch party, Guillermo del Toro and Mike Mignola were on hand to tell us about the new disk, and what stuff he has lined up in his future. One project he's really excited for is DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

"You know, I am really exited about DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, which is being directed by Troy Nixon," del Toro tells SpookyDan on the red carpet. "The original TV movie that it's based on was so scary when I was a kid. I think that the version that we are doing is really good! Also, I am really excited about SPLICE, which is a Vincenzo Natali [Cube] film - it’s a really new take on a monster movie."

He also explains that THE ORPHANAGE remake is coming along well.

"The remake of THE ORPHANAGE is shaping up to be really interesting, if it happens the way I think it will."

The big news will have Gris Grimly fan freaking out as Del Toro dropped a bomb on us last night with some details regarding his involvement producing a feature film with Grimly in the directors chair!

"We are trying to get a full stop-motion version of Gris Grimly’s PINOCCHIO off the ground, with the Jim Henson Company," Del Toro breaks the news exclusively to Bloody-Disgusting. "The idea came from Gris, and everybody loves his book about it. The original story is far more perverse and spooky and semi-necrophilia vibe to it in certain aspects. Gris certainly has that vein in him, he wants to do this with that original spookiness in it, we are trying to get it going. The Jim Henson Company is the behind it and we are currently working on the screenplay! Its not coming to a screen near you any time soon, even if it were to begin today it would be about three years in the making, but we are working to make it happen. A full-scale puppet universe takes time," he jokes.

In Grimly's version of PINOCCHIO, once there was a lonely woodcutter named Geppetto-who dreamed of having a boy of his own. So one day he carved a boy out of wood and named him Pinocchio.When the puppet comes to life, it's Geppetto's dream come true.Except Pinocchio turns out to be not such a nice boy after all. Pinocchio enjoys nothing better than creating mischief and playing mean tricks. As he discovers, being bad is much more fun than being good. For a while, anyway. Happily for Pinocchio, he will learn that there is much more to being a real boy than having fun.

But PINOCCHIO is only the tip of the iceberg as Del Toro reveals that he is planning a full-scale puppet movie of his own!

"I am not at liberty to speak about it right now, but one of the hundred things we are doing is developing a full-scale puppet film of my own as well," he reveals to B-D. "It came about on the set of HELLBOY II. The beginning of the film has a puppet sequence, and when we budgeted it out as live-action it came in around $7 million, The studio said 'No', so I proposed we do it with puppets. Mike Mignola loved the idea and I think its one of the wonderful finding in the film."

He did shed a little light to us on just how dark and scary the HOBBIT films will be.

"THE HOBBIT is a book that is not as much of a children’s book as people seem to remember it. It is not a gory book, were not going to create gore for the sake of gore. There is some intense stuff, as there was in the trilogy. I remember reading it at 11-years-old and being frankly, pretty spooked! We are not imposing any darkness or goriness for the sake of it, we are trying to render the book in the best way possible."

Creator Mike Mignola told us about working in the film industry and working with Del Toro, but didn’t want to be more involved in any future HELLBOY films than he already is.

"I am happy to visit the set of as many as they want to make, I don’t want to direct film at all," he explains. "Certainly, I hope to see Guillermo back in the director’s chair. I am happy in the limited capacity as a consultant. The trick is, at the end of HELLBOY II we are in such completely different territory, it’s so much NOT my comic. We have Liz pregnant with twins at the end… that is (for my HELLBOY) a billion miles away from anything I ever conceived of. So for the third movie, Guillermo will have to tell me what it is. He and I sat down and came up with the second one together, and for the third." He continues, "It's now completely Guillermo Del Toro’s HELLBOY, [and] I suspect that my main involvement in HELLBOY III would be to safeguard the ending I have in the comic, to actually NOT let him put my ending on the screen, 15 years before I get there. I gotta watch my ass!"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:56 pm

From Variety Fri., Nov. 14, 2008:
Guillermo del Toro plots 'Pinocchio' - Producer, Henson Co. teaming for feature
Dave McNary wrote:Guillermo del Toro’s developing with the Jim Henson Co. a darker version of the “Pinocchio” fairy tale as a stop-motion feature.

Project will be produced by JHC co-toppers Brian Henson and Lisa Henson along with senior VP Jason Lust. Del Toro will exec produce.

Del Toro’s working on the screenplay with Gris Grimly, who illustrated a 2002 version of “Pinocchio.” Grimly and Adam Parrish King will co-direct the film.

Del Toro disclosed the project in an interview with the website Bloodydisgusting.com and said that it would take about three years to complete.

Pinocchio first appeared in the 19th century book “The Adventures of Pinocchio” by Carlo Collodi. Walt Disney produced the first feature version of the story with his animated “Pinocchio” in 1940.

Francis Ford Coppola tried producing “Pinocchio” in the early 1990s at Warner Bros., but the project stalled and led to his suit against the studio when he couldn’t set it up at Columbia. A jury awarded Coppola $80 million in damages, but that figure was cut to $20 million when a trial judge tossed out the punitive damages.

“Pinocchio” is the latest in a long list of projects to which del Toro’s attached. Top priority is New Line and MGM’s “The Hobbit,” the two-picture project to which he’s committed the next five years as director and as co-writer with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

He also has a three-year first-look deal with Universal, where he’s setting up remakes of “Frankenstein,” “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and “Slaughterhouse-Five,” an adaptation of Dan Simmons novel “Drood” and several other projects (Daily Variety, Sept. 4).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT Toons

Postby The Vicar on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:01 pm

A remake of Slaughterhouse Five? No shit? Okay, that could be interesting, since the original really doesn't hold up all that well.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:13 pm

From The Playlist 7/24/2010:
SDCC '10: Guillermo del Toro Announces 'Pinocchio' With Nick Cave Doing Music, Talks 'Cronos' & Horror Anthology
Yesterday there was a fairly lively, profanity-laced panel at Comic-Con for the Guillermo del Toro project "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark," a remake of a charming 1973 made-for-television shocker that's currently available through the wonderful Warner Bros Archives.

The remake seems like a so-so proposition. Based on a script that del Toro and his writing partner Matthew Robbins did back in the mid-90s and helmed by comic artist-cum-first-time-director Troy Nixey, it could be a hand-me-down version of del Toro's patented "dark fairy tale" shtick. Still, the garrulous del Toro did let some other interesting details slip about future projects to go with Thursday's announcement that he'll be shepherding an Eddie Murphy-less "Haunted Mansion"for Disney.

-Apparently del Toro is keen on doing a horror anthology series on cable, presumably in the mold of "Twilight Zone." He says he plans on seeing how Frank Darabont's upcoming ambitious "Walking Dead" series does for AMC before moving forward.

-Also, he let slip that the Blu-ray of "Cronos" will be due sometime next year. Despite previous reports that the new deluxe DVD and Blu-ray, released by Criterion, would be out in December, disappointed fans will have to wait. There won't be any golden, blood-sucking scarabs underneath your Christmas tree this year. Sorry.

-He also said that "Frankenstein," which he is talking about so much , is (still) on the way. Things we already know about his version of "Frankenstein:" performer Doug Jones will be the monster whose look will be based on the awesome Bernie Wrightson illustrations. Apparently, the failure of "Wolf Man" hasn't slowed anything down on this adaptation.

-Lastly, and perhaps most intriguingly, Del Toro revealed he's developing a stop-motion animated "Pinocchio" with Gris Grimley animating and -- awesomely -- Nick Cave doing the music for the film. No word yet if that means a score or actual songs, but either way, it sounds potentially great (and dark).
While we're normally a little lukewarm on the whole Comic-Con milieu, del Toro is an obvious highlight for any event. A couple of years ago at the New York Comic-Con he charmed our pants off with his presentation for "Hellboy II: The Golden Army." And he obviously has big love for his fans, giving them his public email address (someone want to send that to us?) and encouraging them to talk to him if they see him on the Comic Con floor saying, "I cannot read screenplays, but if you have a portfolio, or you have a short you want me to see, fuck it, give it to me. If you see me on the floor, accost me." You rule, del Toro.

And oh yeah, if all this isn't enough, just a reminder that del Toro still has one more big project to announce, a horror film that will be his next project. But he's saving that announcement for after Comic-Con. [The Wrap/STYD]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:38 am

One of the best gags and characterizations of Geppetto is his head or thick yellow hair. All the children make fun of Gepetto for his hair by calling him "palentino" (palenta head) and this adds both slap stick humour and motive for Geppetto to create a boy of his own that does not alienate him. Every time a Pinocchio, I always hope to see Geppeto with a swirly head of yellow hair. This Grimly Pinocchio is total shit for not only having a white haired Geppetto, but a bald one. To HELL with this Pinocchio.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:04 pm

I still would have loved to see GDT's take with The Hobbit. From a production point of view, things wouldn't have changed all that much, I think.
Jackson would have been the steady hand on that tiller, making certain the LotRs and The Hobbit look like they belong in the same house. The films wouldn't have felt "mismatched". It just would have been interesting.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Book of Life

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:59 am

The Art of The Book of Life - Announcement
Robert T. Trate wrote:Who doesn’t love art book on films? Now throw in Guillermo del Toro as well and we have something that you Maniacs are really going to want to see. Check out the cover and press release for art book of The Book of Life. It is for the new animated film that arrives this fall.

Press Release: Dark Horse, a premier publisher of creator-owned and licensed content, today announces a partnership with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products: an upcoming project based on this year’s highly anticipated film from Fox Animation Studios, The Book of Life. In September 2014, Dark Horse will release The Art of The Book of Life, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film.
The Art of The Book of Life is an inspirational behind-the-scenes look at the making of the animated feature film. Packed with production art, stills, and more, this is an essential companion to the film.

The Art of The Book of Life arrives on sale on September 3, 2014.

Synopsis for Film: From visionary producer Guillermo del Toro (Pan’s Labyrinth) and director Jorge R. Gutierrez (El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera), this upcoming feature length film is a celebration of the power of friendship and family, told through stunning visuals. The Book of Life is the journey of Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart. Before choosing which path to follow, he embarks on an incredible adventure that spans three fantastical worlds where he must face his greatest fears. Rich with a fresh take on pop music favorites, The Book of Life encourages us to celebrate the past while looking forward to the future.

The Book of Life arrives in theaters October 17th, 2014.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT Toons: 'Pacific Rim'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 am

MTV 07/12/13:
'Pacific Rim': The Ultimate Saturday Morning Cartoon
Aaron Sagers wrote:“Pacific Rim” might be the best looking Saturday morning cartoon I’ve ever seen. In fact, everything about the new Guillermo del Toro monsters vs. robots flick is so animated and giant-sized that movie theaters should serve up big bowls of sugary cereal to view it with.

If this all sounds silly, it delightfully is. The characters are suited for the two-dimensionality of an old sci-fi serial or the aforementioned Saturday ’toon; they don’t engage in too much hand-wringing, their motivations are not all that complex, and the dialogue is never deep but often grandiose. Even the character names sound like Flash Gordon's drinking buddies.

This works entirely for “Pacific Rim.” In fact, one gets the feeling that this is del Toro’s live-action anime executed precisely in the way he wanted to (and frame-for-frame, it really could have been adapted from, or to, an anime film). Actually, while directors sometimes churn out movies that seem counter to what you expect from them, this is one that perfectly fits Guillermo del Toro.

From my perspective, “Pacific Rim” is a blockbuster from a kid who played “Rampage” and devoured monster movies and cartoons much like Lizzie the giant dino used to devour little people in that same video game. It is from the kid who had an afternoon to kill with an entire sandbox (or backyard or tree fort or construction site) as his universe filled with a hodgepodge of G.I. Joes, Transformers, Godzilla toys and everything else that littered his bedroom at home. (Except, in this case, the toys del Toro had to play with cost a couple hundred million bucks.)

All this is to say that “Pacific Rim” is fun. To quote Nicholson's Joker, "I don't know if it's art, but I like it." Similar to that bowl of sugary cereal, it may lack nutritional value but it fills you up nonetheless and is comfort food to big kids.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT Toons: 'Pacific Rim'

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Motion Captured:
'Pacific Rim 2' for 2017 and an animated spin-off confirmed by Guillermo Del Toro
Can you imagine how many different stories he'll get to try in this world?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT Toons: PACIFIC RIM

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Guillermo Del Toro on ‘Pacific Rim 2,’ ‘At the Mountains of Madness’ and More
Michael Calia wrote:What can you tell me about the animated “Pacific Rim” series? Do you know which network will carry it?

We are talking about all the possibilities in terms of networks. We’re formulating ideas that are, again, interesting and not the usual route, but the series tackles the stories that happened to pilots working in the Shatterdome (editor’s note: a building where jaegers are built and maintained and pilots train), but also cadets learning how to become pilots. All of this happens prior to the first movie, and it gives you a little more depth into the background of certain characters that will appear in the second movie. So it’s really expanding the material. I was incredibly happy with the comic book series that came about from a graphic novel called “Tales From Year Zero,” and we are continuing the tales for the next three years. So by the time the second movie comes out, you will have probably one year of the animation airing, and you will have three years of the comic book series ongoing, so we are trying for all these things to be canon, to be in the same universe, to not wing anything, so that if anyone … a lot of kids, for example, have discovered “Pacific Rim” through the toys. They come in through the toys, and then they watch the movie, and then they learn this, they learn that through the movie or the comic book series, so we’re trying to make it canon so we can expand the universe. And by the time we come into the second movie, you have a good feel for the world, and we can dedicate ourselves to character and ideas and spectacle.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GDT Toons: PACIFIC RIM

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Collider:
Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Animated Series
Says It’s Envisioned as a Long Arc That Connects to PACIFIC RIM 2, Not Episodic
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Book of Life

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 pm

SDCC: How Ron Perlman Saved The BOOK OF LIFE Press Conference