Ultimate Spider-Man

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Ultimate Spider-Man

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 pm

From MTV:
'Ultimate Spider-Man' Animated Series Swings To Disney XD In Fall 2011!

From MARVEL:
New Tales of Ultimate Spidey Get Animated!
Hey, webheads!

Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man begins a new saga starting Fall 2011 on Disney XD's "Ultimate Spider-Man"!

The new series will chronicle the adventures of naive high-schooler Peter Parker as he comes to grips with his new powers.

Along with his new powers, the challenge for the young web-slinger in the new series is balancing his relationships with his friends and family and his super colleagues who can help him gain an understanding of his parent's legacy and his destiny.

"Ultimate Spider-Man will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action and character growth," said Eric S. Rollman, President of Marvel Animation.

Keep it locked to Marvel.com for more on "Ultimate Spider-Man" before it premieres on Disney XD!

MTV EXCLUSIVE:
Paul Dini Joins 'Ultimate Spider-Man' Animated Series, Promises A 'Redefined' Peter Parker
Rick Marshall wrote:MTV NEWS: First off, I have to ask about the roles you and the rest of the "Ultimate Spider-Man" creative team will play in the series. This is an all-star team, after all...

PAUL DINI: We're really all just going to go off each other's energy. Brian's work is a great part of the inspiration for the series, and the Man Of Action writers are going to handle the bulk of the episode scripting. Everything is going to be produced under the watchful eye of Jeph Loeb. We had an early meeting last week with myself, Jeph, and a few of the directors and designers, and I think everybody's on the same page with what we want the show to look like and the feel of the show.

MTV: Given the title of teh series, everyone expects it to be an animated version of Brian's comic book series. Will it be an adaptation, or will it keep certain elements and go off in its own direction?

DINI: It's 50/50. There are elements that are going to come directly from the comics, and there are elements that are just going to take it into an entirely new and different direction — and yet, they're going to harken back to that particular iteration of Spider-Man.

MTV: How will it differ from recent and existing series, like "Spectacular Spider-Man"? Is there something that's going to distinguish the "Ultimate" adventures of Spidey from the "Spectacular" stories?

DINI: We're going to be pairing him up with new and different Marvel characters. There's going to be a lot of guest-star action, and there's going to be a redefinition of Peter Parker within the Spider-Man world. We're going to change a few things — nothing too dramatically, but you look at the Spider-Man concept from the early '60s and you take a look at where teens are now, and you realize you can't really go back and redo what was done so well in the comics. You have to ask, "What if this was all happening today? How do you redefine 'With great power comes great responsibility?' How do you redefine the villains of that world and the supporting characters?"

You also don't want to repeat the same old tropes. As much as I love elements of Spider-Man's past, I don't really want to go back in and retell the Gwen Stacy and Green Goblin story in animation just so I can do my take on it. I don't want to redo the first Spider Slayer story. I don't want to redo some of those classic Lee/Romita and Lee/Ditka stories just for the sake of seeing them rendered in animation. For now, I just want to approach Spider-Man with fresh eyes, taking a few things we know about him and just doing a new spin on the concept. I think old-time fans will find what we've done with the character to be pretty good and thoughtful, because we're not out to junk-up Spider-Man. That's not our intent.

MTV: You've said what you don't want to do, but what's the general approach toward "redefining" Peter Parker in "Ultimate Spider-Man?"

DINI: It's sort of like what Brian did with the whole 'Ultimate Spider-Man' idea. He just looked at it from a new perspective. There were things that made the fans sort of sit up and say, 'Hey, I never thought of that before, but it really does work with Spider-Man's universe.' That's the same thing we're doing here.

We're also taking a much different approach visually with the way we show how Spider-Man moves and works and acts within this new world. It's going to be a complete change as far as the visualization of what it's like to be Spider-Man.

MTV: So much of your career has focused on Batman and the DC heroes. What's the appeal of Spider-Man for you?

DINI: I love Spider-Man, and I've never worked with the character before. It's fun to try something new. There's a different energy to Spider-Man than there is to Batman. Batman is dark and moody and spooky, and in some cases, methodical. There's more of an element of a procedural around Batman, and there's all sorts of great things you can do within his world. In animation, when we first rendered Batman's world at Warner Bros., we were able to make it very dark and noir-ish and grim, which all takes its cues from Batman's character.

Spider-Man's world is more chaotic, more kinetic — it's almost like stream of consciousness. You have to really put yourself in that mindset to tackle Spider-Man effectively. If you're redefining the character that way, you want to redefine his world along those lines as well, and move things along and make it a lot faster. He's a character who makes mistakes and has to go back and set things right and then continue on. He's somebody who's constantly thinking on his feet and trying to figure this out, because he hasn't been doing it as long as Batman — it's all new to him. It really is "great responsibility." As cool as it is to be Spider-Man at times, there's also a price to pay for that — and he has to learn to balance things out.

MTV:
As far as timing and stories go, how many episodes are you planning for the first season?

DINI: There's 26 episodes in front of us, and we're breaking it into two increments.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:34 am

From MTV:
More 'Ultimate Spider-Man' And 'Avengers' Animated Series Details From Man Of Action Team
Rick Marshall wrote:Back in August, we brought you the news that Paul Dini was joining the creative team for "Ultimate Spider-Man," the upcoming Disney XD animated series that also features notable comics and cartoon creators Brian Michael Bendis (co-creator of the long-running "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic book series) and the "Man Of Action" collective responsible for the wildly successful "Ben 10" animated series.

During New York Comic Con, I managed to round up two of the four members of Man of Action, Joe Kelly and Steven T. Seagle, to find out more about Spider-Man's return to the animated world and, among other details, what Dini meant when he promised a "redefined" Peter Parker.

"It's fair to say that when we came on the project, Marvel looked at what worked in the past and what hasn't worked," Kelly told MTV News. "[They] felt like this would be a cartoon for a completely new generation, so let's tear it down and build from scratch and really exploit what animation allows us to do, not replicate what's done in the comics."

"We're hitting a lot of comedy," he added. "The action is really frenetic... and kinetic. It's like the technology has caught up with Spider-Man — sort of the same thing they said with the movies, where you can finally do the things you actually want to see him do."

However, Seagle was quick to add that everyone involved with the project realizes that Spider-Man is one of Marvel's most popular characters for a reason — several of them, in fact.

"The building blocks are great," said Seagle. "It's a classic character for obvious reasons, so those pieces will still be in place."

The pair offered up some additional explanation for Dini's "redefinition" of Peter Parker, too — but reiterated that there are some things that make the character who he is, and those need to stay consistent if the series wants to be successful.

"Peter Parker is the archetypal teenager," explained Seagle. "Those story beats don't ever change. The same things that were critical to teenagers then are critical to teenagers now. So a lot of our world is that world — focusing on what it's like to be young and have amazing powers and still try to save the world and go to school."

"Tonally, he's less of a whiner and more of a smart-aleck," said Kelly of the "Ultimate" version of Peter Parker. "He understands his responsibility, but he's willing to bust chops as he's moving through it. He's not intimidated with it, as he might have been portrayed in the past."

As for how the animated series will compare with the "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic, the pair stopped short of saying it would follow along with the comic's story arc, but said Bendis' ability to find the common ground between Spider-Man old and new has proved invaluable in the creative process.

"Bendis has been great," said Seagle. "He understands that character so thoroughly and that world. All the new stuff and all the old stuff — he's great at synthesizing that and saying, 'This is how that would go.'"

"We all met together and got around the table with [Joe] Quesada and Jeph Loeb," said Kelly of the planning process for the series. "It's a real free-flow of ideas. Brian knows that stuff so well, it's Paul's first time ever writing Spider-Man, and us lifelong fans of Spidey, we're just throwing things at the wall and seeing what makes us laugh and what we enjoy."

That being the case — and given Kelly's history with a certain Marvel character who's also known for his running commentary — I had to ask: Is there a chance of seeing Deadpool make a cameo in the "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon? After all, Dini did promise "a lot of guest-star action" in the animated series.

"It would be very, very cool to see a Deadpool in this universe," laughed Kelly. "I don't know if we could actually do it and actually be on TV, but... Spider-Man's rogues gallery is fantastic. There are characters we can and can not use, so it's a little tough. Personally, I love Moon Knight. I'd love to see a Moon Knight in it. I love Mysterio, he's always been a favorite of mine."

"I've been able to work in Jack of Hearts, Woodgod, Star-Stalker, and The Freedom Fighters," joked Seagle. "So far, it's been good for me."

However, "Ultimate Spider-Man" isn't the only animated project on the horizon for the Man Of Action team, who are also contributing an upcoming arc to the "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" animated series that premieres this month.

"We came in just to do... not even an arc, but a series of episodes that are going to come out when the 'Avengers' movie comes out," explained Seagle. "It was really just to get the classic essence of Avengers into those episodes."

"I wouldn't say it's tied-in to the movie, but it's the classic three," he added. "It's an exciting opportunity to do hardcore classic Avengers stories."

"Ultimate Spider-Man" premieres next year on Disney XD. You can find out more about the Man Of Action team and their upcoming projects at www.manofaction.tv.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm

From Hero Complex:
‘Ben 10′ creators talk about bringing ‘Ultimate Spider-Man’ to TV
Geoff Boucher wrote:Man of Action Studios has proven itself with the hits “Ben 10” and “Generator Rex,” and now they take on an especially intriguing project — “Ultimate Spider-Man,” a fresh animated-show take on the iconic wall-crawling superhero from Marvel Comics. The team will be the supervising producers for the first season of the show but it won’t reach the air on Disney XD until 2012. That’s a long way off, but here’s an e-mail interview I conducted with the team to get a sense of their compass points for a show that is a priority for the new leadership at Marvel Television.

GB: Spider-Man has such a long history on the page now and so many artistic interpretations, from Steve Ditko and John Romita on through Todd McFarlane and John Romita Jr. and Mark Bagley and Paolo Rivera. Then there’s the previous animated-show versions and the Hollywood feature films and even the memorable work in video games at this point. Can you talk about the process of finding this new version?

MOA: With Marvel Television, there’s definitely a new kind of autonomy in place, so we’re very much in a position where we’re starting from a clean slate. Man of Action is very aware of what’s worked and what hasn’t worked in the past — that kind of property analysis is part of what we do creatively as a company — so we’re pretty confident that we can avoid all the various land mines that exist. And, of course, the folks at Marvel are more than aware of this stuff too. At the same time, everyone involved has their favorite version of Spider-Man, obviously we’re all huge fans of the character, and there’s probably room for considering all of them and distilling them down into something very clean and focused for the show. We’re all working together to roll out something very cool, something no one has ever seen.

GB:
Tone is such a fundamental decision. How would you describe the tone of this new series?

MOA: At this point, we can safely say that the tone of “Ultimate Spider-Man,” the show, will be unlike any iteration of the property that has existed before. We’ve got a specific mandate to make this show, in a word, unique. So that’s what we’re doing … and we’re doing it in ways you’d never imagine. We’re going places that no Spider-Man cartoon — or probably any superhero cartoon — has ever gone before. For all of us at Man of Action, that’s a lot of what makes this exciting for us.

GB:
Will you start with the origin story or…?

MOA: Between the comics, the films, the TV shows, the video games and more, everyone pretty much knows Spider-Man’s origin by now, so it’s not exactly a priority to start at square one. It’s a fundamental aspect of the character and it will be addressed, but the way in which it’s addressed within the show is just one of many surprises that we’ve got in store.

G.B.: Without giving away any surprises, talk a bit about a moment, a scenario or a plot point that has you especially excited, just to get fans as intrigued as you are.

MOA:If we mentioned *anything* right now, we’d be giving away a surprise, not to mention violating all kinds of confidentiality agreements! Needless to say, we’re psyched about the overall approach we’re taking and the fact that we’re going to do something different from anything that’s been done before. No one will be able to see this coming, which is a big part of what Man of Action brings to the table to begin with: unpredictability.

GB: Who’s the most underappreciated Spider-Man villain?

MOA: Spider-Man has one of the coolest rogues galleries ever, so it’s difficult to come up with any of them that you could consider to be “underappreciated.” Over 50 years of Spider-Man comics means that all of the classic villains have had great stories told about them because they’re compelling characters. But where the show is concerned, there are definitely some big surprises in store, specifically in terms of the villains that Spidey will go up against. And remember, we’ve got the entirety of the Marvel Universe to work with in this show. Should be a fun ride for everyone.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:50 am

From Newsarama:
Dini Talks TOWER PREP, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, DC Titles, More
Albert Ching wrote:Nrama: And another thing you’re working on that you probably can’t really talk about at this point is the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, slated for fall 2011 on Disney XD.

Dini: Yep. That’s going ahead. Having a great time on that, and I’m working with some old friends from the Batman days on that. Coming up with a look for the Spider-Man show, I think it’s really going to take people by surprise. It’s going to take people by surprise as much as the Batman show in the early ‘90s took comic fans by surprise. And yet at the same time it feels very right and it looks very right. And I can’t really say anything more about that or Jeph Loeb will be after me.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

So far they've done a masterful job of constantly talking up this new series without actually saying anything.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:47 am

From Bleeding Cool:
That Ultimate Spider-Man C2E2 Cartoon Footage And Screencaps

Spider-man Cartoon Coming in Early Summer 2012
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man & Iron Fist[

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 pm

From Variety:
DXD's 'Ultimate Spider-Man' Swings ... And Misses
Brian Lowry wrote:What would Spider-Man look like as strained through the juvenile, rapid-fire-joke filter of "Family Guy?" Disney XD's "Ultimate Spider-Man," unfortunately, seeks to find out.

Paired with the animated "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and premiering April 1 -- all rather transparently to help cash in on, and beat the drums for, the upcoming Avengers live-action movie -- "Ultimate Spider-Man" has an odd, Spidermanborscht-belt comedy quality to it, while pairing Spidey with teen versions of several established second-tier Marvel heroes (Power Man, Iron Fist, White Tiger, Nova), creating a sort-of alternative to DC's "Teen Titans."

If only they were that interesting. Instead, the group -- assembled by S.H.I.E.L.D., with Chi McBride providing the voice of Nick Fury -- spends a lot of its time bickering during the premiere. Granted, such squabbling is a Marvel staple, but here it plays like a bad episode of one of Disney XD's live-action efforts aimed at tween boys.

The studio and channel are being shrewd about using Disney XD as a platform to showcase animated versions of Marvel characters, just as DC/Warner Bros. has done on Cartoon Network. Still, this high-profile misfire with "Spider-Man," creatively speaking, doesn't bode well for Marvel's efforts to straddle the line of catering to kids without dumbing down venerable properties that plenty of adults know and love.

Admittedly, that's a difficult challenge, but by that measure "Ultimate Spider-Man" is both a nice-looking swing and a pretty clear miss.

And as George of the Jungle used to say, watch out for that tree.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation