Rango

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

Rango

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 pm

From /film:
Berkley Breathed Double - Dan Fogler Joins Mars Needs Moms, Verbinski’s Rango Secret Uncovered?

Brendon Connelly wrote:Gore Verbinski’s Rango is an adaptation of Breathed’s Flawed Dogs. That book has apparently very little narrative to speak of, just a cast of odd dog characters, but Verbinski brewed a story up himself and set John Logan to scripting it. So this tells us that Depp’s mysterious household pet is none other than man’s best friend, Canis lupus familiaris. My source suggests that Isla Fisher may be playing a human role, one Heidy Strudelberg, but stressed that was a guess based upon nothing more than familiarity with the book (something I sadly don’t have - do you?) and I did have to check they meant what I thought they meant because Google seemed to be suggesting Strudelberg had actually written the book. She hadn’t - she’s a fiction.

A little bit longer on Google and I saw that Jim Hill long ago announced Verbinski’s optioning of Flawed Dogs. Also compelling evidence. I should spend more time in IM windows, I reckon. Always seems to turn up gold.

The book’s full title is Flawed Dogs: The Year End Leftovers at the Piddleton “Last Chance” Dog Pound, from which you can probably glean some plot, or at least premise, information.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Rango

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Now w/ 100% More... uh... Toy Goldfish?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/rango/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Ribbons wrote:Now w/ 100% More... uh... Toy Goldfish?

Worst teaser trailer ever?
Perhaps after a proper trailer comes out, or the movie itself, that will turn out to be a hilarious or insightful teaser.
But for now..... just a bit odd, which is perfect for a Berke Breathed property I suppose.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby John-Locke on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Apparently it's about "The story of a chameleon with an identity crisis."

Which will no doubt mean it changes it colour to camouflage itself instead of like just to display it's mood and temperature like they do in nature.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 pm

There's a longer trailer up now:

I still have no clue what the story's about, but it actually looks like it could be pretty cool. Here's hoping it all makes sense, or at least makes no sense in a way that's awesome.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:38 pm

The animation style looks brilliant, seems like this could be one to look out for.

Me likey
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Absolutely incredible. Depp's voicework is spot on and I LOVED the blink and you miss it nod to Fear and Loathing. Definitely on my list for the future

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:43 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Absolutely incredible. Depp's voicework is spot on and I LOVED the blink and you miss it nod to Fear and Loathing. Definitely on my list for the future

Mahalo

I caught that too! When the Camelon smacks the windsheild of the car, you clearly see the sidearm of a very Raoul Duke looking man...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Is this the spiritual sequel to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? Johnny Depp voices a lizard sporting a Hawaiian shirt... themes of existentialism in the desert.

And all that from the first fifteen seconds...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby BuckyO'harre on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:20 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Full trailerage of awesome.

looks sweet....but i can't help avoiding my impression that it has the "feel" of the video game "Oddworld:Stranger's Wrath" oozing from it, from the setting to the color palate to the music to the characterization of the villagers. not a bad thing, i loved the game and had wished for a sequel. i wonder if any of the people behind the game were involved in making this movie.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Some nice animation, but not sure if its for me. Looks great for the kids tho.

Pev, if you like the music, is by a brit band named Mumford and Sons. Have no idea if they have stateside success.
I think its this song thats in the trailer..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:23 am

Hermanator X wrote:Pev, if you like the music, is by a brit band named Mumford and Sons. Have no idea if they have stateside success.
I think its this song thats in the trailer..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

Yeah, their spot's been blowin' up over here recently, with that song and "The Cave".

Although this trailer made more sense, I think I actually liked the first two better. But the quality of the animation looks more and more beautiful each time (despite the characters themselves looking hideous).
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:39 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 pm

So... they couldn't afford to do motion capture and are pretending that they're the first to use the voice actors as a reference for their animated counter-parts?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Now with 100% more totally coming out this weekend!

The reviews seem to be pretty solid so far, although there aren't a whole lot of them.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Ribbons wrote:Now with 100% more totally coming out this weekend!

The reviews seem to be pretty solid so far, although there aren't a whole lot of them.

I am really looking forward to seeing this.

There are actually quite a few films that are on my radar over the next few weeks.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Western + Animation + Reptiles = AIS.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:So... they couldn't afford to do motion capture and are pretending that they're the first to use the voice actors as a reference for their animated counter-parts?

I think the way this movie was filmed is kinda gimmicky, but maybe that's the only way they were able to sell it to Depp. "This isn't just a voice over movie Johnny, you really do get to 'act' out the role" type of shit.

Seems like a fun enough movie. Somebody tell me if this is OK viewing for a 5 year old please. I was thinking about taking my daughter to see it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby John-Locke on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:54 pm

so sorry wrote: Somebody tell me if this is OK viewing for a 5 year old please. I was thinking about taking my daughter to see it.

Well...

Drew at Hitfix wrote:I took Toshi with me to see the film. He's a kindergartener now, turns six in July, and he seemed perfectly fine with the film's creep factor. It is indeed disturbing to look at in places, but by design. It's no accident. I think it's the kind of creepy that kids love, and Toshi has been talking about the film since he saw it. I'm comfortable taking my monster-loving younger son Allen to see the film when it opens, and this coming Friday is his third birthday.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

John-Locke wrote:
so sorry wrote: Somebody tell me if this is OK viewing for a 5 year old please. I was thinking about taking my daughter to see it.

Well...

Drew at Hitfix wrote:I took Toshi with me to see the film. He's a kindergartener now, turns six in July, and he seemed perfectly fine with the film's creep factor. It is indeed disturbing to look at in places, but by design. It's no accident. I think it's the kind of creepy that kids love, and Toshi has been talking about the film since he saw it. I'm comfortable taking my monster-loving younger son Allen to see the film when it opens, and this coming Friday is his third birthday.

Yeaaaaaaaaah, I'm thinking I might need a second opinion. :? 8-)
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Massawyrm loves the weird, wonderful world of RANGO
Hola all. Massawyrm here.

Few directors in the industry have the clout and juice of gargantuan successes to be able to bully past the brain trust that often has a hard time wrapping itself around truly inspired efforts. When Christopher Nolan set out to make INCEPTION, many of the suits didn’t get it, but they gave Nolan carte blanche in hopes that he would return to make back any losses - and then some - with a third Batman film. The result was one of the most original big budget films in years. After the PIRATES trilogy and THE RING, Gore Verbinski managed a similar amount of pull to make the single most original, striking and fascinatingly bizarre animated family film in years. RANGO is its own thing, a mature, brilliant, wildly entertaining masterpiece of modern animation that is both a 4th wall breaking pop culture medley and a perfectly executed family western at the same time.

And best of all? It’s just plain weird.

Nordling Rides With RANGO!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:38 pm

TheButcher wrote:Massawyrm loves the weird, wonderful world of RANGO
Hola all. Massawyrm here.

Few directors in the industry have the clout and juice of gargantuan successes to be able to bully past the brain trust that often has a hard time wrapping itself around truly inspired efforts. When Christopher Nolan set out to make INCEPTION, many of the suits didn’t get it, but they gave Nolan carte blanche in hopes that he would return to make back any losses - and then some - with a third Batman film. The result was one of the most original big budget films in years. After the PIRATES trilogy and THE RING, Gore Verbinski managed a similar amount of pull to make the single most original, striking and fascinatingly bizarre animated family film in years. RANGO is its own thing, a mature, brilliant, wildly entertaining masterpiece of modern animation that is both a 4th wall breaking pop culture medley and a perfectly executed family western at the same time.

And best of all? It’s just plain weird.

Nordling Rides With RANGO!

I love the "many suits" didnt know what nolan was up to with Inception line. As if the "journahahahhalists" knew or said or any better. I notice ring 2 and whetherman or woman was ignored. You make it up as you go along. As does most of the industry. Just embrace it, and stop trying to make it tangible!!!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:39 pm

From THR:
‘Rango’ This Johnny Depp-fueled animated Western toys with film history.
Todd McCarthy wrote:The dusty cards of the Old West are reshuffled into a winning hand in Rango, a madly clever animated sagebrush saga with style and wit to burn. Reconfiguring the spaghetti Western into a fusilli con camaleonte, Gore Verbinski’s surprising escape picture after years in the Caribbean is eye-poppingly visualized in a hyper-realistic style that at times borders on the surrealist. The verbal flights of fancy will often sail over the heads of rugrats, as will the innumerable references to and twists on classic movies, but the presence of Johnny Depp in the title role practically assures muscular returns for this Paramount/Nickelodeon production.

Rango has the feel of a lark, of a film lover’s spree in a playpen equipped with some of the world’s most expensive and expressive toys. Verbinski also enjoys the advantage of highly gifted playmates including technical wizards at Industrial Light & Magic (the firm’s first animated feature), some of his Pirates effects cohorts and visual consultant Roger Deakins, who helps make the picture look as much shot as animated.

Unquestionably the first kids toon to feature an homage to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Rango pivots on the pilgrim’s progress of a mild-mannered pet chameleon who finds greatness thrust upon him when he pretends to a past of accomplished gunslinging in the name of justice. In the process, he becomes sheriff of the dried-up desert town Dirt, which is presided over by a studly, old tortoise who controls the ragged community’s water supply — a situation that simultaneously allows the film to accommodate a child-friendly ecological theme even as it summons adults’ memories of Chinatown.

That Rango has something different in mind from the general run of animated features is clear in the preliminary philosophical banter between Rango (Depp), a bulging-eyed chameleon who’s normally blue, and a Don Quixote-like armadillo (Alfred Molina) whose midsection has been flattened by a truck’s wheel. The compositions, especially in this stretch, are imaginatively bizarre, as are Rango’s free-associative musings.

Ushered through the arid landscapes by a mordant mariachi owl band, Rango encounters female lizard Beans (Isla Fisher), with whom he stumbles upon Dirt’s wide range of vividly realized critters who share one thing in common: They’re thirsty and can’t hold out much longer. The wheelchair-bound, seemingly genial tortoise mayor — who is voiced by Ned Beatty and looks like him, too — promises everyone that good times lie ahead and attempts to co-opt Rango by appointing him sheriff.

While some distracting sideline villainy triggers busy chases and battles, the real bad guy is the mayor, who has been hoarding water in preparation for the day he will have bought up all of the surrounding land for cheap. His henchman is the giant Rattlesnake Jake (Bill Nighy), memorably equipped with a rapid-fire Gatling gun where his rattle normally would be. But before Rango faces his high noon with the serpent, he has an inspiring encounter with an iconic character called Spirit of the West (Timothy Olyphant), who bears a resemblance to an aged Man With No Name.

Screenwriter John Logan, working from a story cooked up with Verbinski and the latter’s longtime illustrator and conceptual consultant James Ward Byrkit, stirs the pot of genre archetypes, conventions and clichés with a sharp eye for their amusing reusability. For his part, the director broke with convention by recording the vocal performances not separately in the isolation of studio booths but with the actors working together on a prop-laden and partly dressed stage for 23 days, during which their work was shot by HD cameras so animators could reference their facial expressions and bodily gestures for inspiration. There is evidence of this working more with some actors — particularly Depp and Beatty — than others, but the verbal exchanges spark and flow in the manner of accomplished ensemble work; in the promotional materials, the filmmakers call the technique “emotion capture,” as opposed to motion capture.

But most exceptional is the visual style, which makes even the best animated 3D look like a poor cousin. More than in any other animated work that comes to mind, meticulous attention has been paid to light and shadow, gradations of color, details of faces, costumes and props and the framing of shots. Some of this is deliberately meant to ape the density of compositions in certain classic Westerns and, even more, those of Italian master Sergio Leone. Beyond this, it’s arresting to behold the twists the filmmakers add, like creating a Monument Valley-like backdrop but deliberately changing its color from reddish to a sandy yellow.

Such imaginative leaps are perpetuated by Hans Zimmer’s score, which reworks the sound of Ennio Morricone’s scores for Leone in ways that are exciting, sometimes comic but never silly.

Release date Friday, March 4 (Paramount)
Voice cast Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, Alfred Molina, Harry Dean Stanton, Timothy Olyphant, Ned Beatty
Director Gore Verbinski
Producers Gore Verbinski, Graham King, John B. Carls
Rated PG, 107 minutes
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:46 pm

From Variety:
Rango Review
Peter Debruge wrote:A Paramount release presented with Nickeloden Movies of a BlindWink/GK Films production. Produced by Gore Verbinski, Graham King, John B. Carls. Executive producer, Tim Headington. Co-producers, Shari Hanson, Adam Cramer, David Shannon. Directed by Gore Verbinski. Screenplay, John Logan; story, Logan, Verbinski, James Ward Byrkit.

Voices:
Rango - Johnny Depp
Beans - Isla Fisher
Priscilla - Abigail Breslin
Mayor - Ned Beatty
Roadkill - Alfred Molina
Rattlesnake Jake - Bill Nighy
Doc/Merrimack - Stephen Root
Balthazar - Harry Dean Stanton
Spirit of the West - Timothy Olyphant
Bad Bill - Ray Winstone

Johnny Depp isn't the sort of star to blend in, so it's saying something that his turn as the world's most conspicuous chameleon in "Rango" is so full-bodied, you forget the actor and focus on the character. Depp is but one voice in the all-around impressive ensemble Gore Verbinski assembles for his astonishingly adult-skewing animated debut, a comedic riff on the classic Wild West formula that could, if viewed in the right light, just as easily serve as one long "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"-style hallucination. With kid appeal aplenty, the eccentric yet aud-friendly result should rustle big business worldwide.

This stunning virgin foray into feature-length animation from Verbinski and the vfx miracle workers at Industrial Light & Magic (his primary collaborator on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" pics) looks and feels nothing like the toons that have come before. "Rango" boasts not only the most photoreal visuals this side of "Wall-E" but a refreshingly unique narrative sensibility to boot, starting with its Charlie Kaufman-worthy opening monologue and Greek chorus -- technically, a mariachi band of bright-eyed Mexican owls whose songs fit the score's playful marriage of Hans Zimmer bombast and Los Lobos energy.
Depp plays a zonk-eyed pet lizard traveling cross-country through the Mojave Desert when a freak accident leaves him stranded in the blistering sun. Far removed from his natural habitat, the green-skinned, Hawaiian shirt-wearing reptile finds it virtually impossible to camouflage himself in his new all-brown environment, choosing instead to pass for something he's not, a fearless gunfighter named Rango.

With no real-world experience but a near-inexhaustible supply of good luck, Rango looks exactly like what the naively optimistic denizens of Dirt need right now: a hero. Their old-timey desert outpost is beset by predators and ruled by a corrupt mayor (Ned Beatty, playing a less huggable villain than he did in "Toy Story 3"), who clearly has a hand in the mysterious drought making all their lives miserable. That much even younger auds should be able to follow, though John Logan's hilarious script is loaded with two-dollar dialogue and wonderfully baroque expressions sure to confound even a fair number of adults.

Live-action helmers have had mixed success making the transition to animation of late, but Verbinski brings real vision to the endeavor, conceiving a world that starts small -- contained within Rango's terrarium, in fact -- and gradually expands to accommodate nearly all of Monument Valley in a way auds can intuitively follow. Even more impressive than the world itself is the incredibly varied ensemble that populates it, a motley mix of reptiles and rodents in which no two are redundant, each memorably designed by Mark "Crash" McCreery and his team, then brought to life via a bull's-eye match of critter and character actor. Though the entire cast is terrific, standouts include Bill Nighy as venomous Rattlesnake Jake, Ray Winstone's menacing gila-monster henchman Bad Bill and Isla Fisher as Rango's long-lashed love interest, Beans.

Where "Rango" ultimately falters is in the uncomfortable juxtaposition of kid-friendly entertainment -- represented by unnecessarily bombastic fight scenes that feel out of place within Logan's more intellectually spirited screenplay -- and the savvier, self-reflexive humor clearly aimed at adults. The only major pop-culture references here are a cameo by a Hunter S. Thompson lookalike and an amusing run-in with a mystic Man With No Name-esque figure (voiced by Timothy Olyphant). Though most of the laugh-out-loud moments result from either witty wordplay or inspired physical comedy, even the fart jokes feel fresh by contrast with the delivery we've come to expect from toondom's more established players.

It's hard to call originality "Rango's" greatest asset when the story itself trades so heavily on established Western movie tropes, but the project clearly comes from a completely different place than any other American-made animated feature. That radical departure is reinforced by the look of the film, which is now the third toon to rely on Roger Deakins as a virtual cinematography consultant.

Considering ILM's incredible background in live-action vfx, it's no surprise the company brings a staggering level of realism to the lighting and textures throughout. The shocker is just how good their character animation work is: From the way Rango walks to the subtlest eye twitch, this quirky chameleon's screen presence is more plausible than even some of Depp's most beloved flesh-and-blood creations, raising the bar for other studios going forward.

While on the subject of eyes, Rango's peepers violate the prevailing wisdom that bigger is better, with scaly lids covering all but a tiny pinhole at their center, inviting us to consider the performance of the character's entire face rather than just his shiny irises. It should also be said that even projected in 2D, "Rango" makes better use of dimension than many stereoscopic toons.

(Deluxe color, widescreen); editor, Craig Wood; music, Hans Zimmer; production designer, Mark "Crash" McCreery; supervising art director, John Bell; art director, Aaron McBride; sound (Dolby Digital/DTS/SDDS), Lee Orloff; sound designer, Peter Miller; supervising sound editors, Addison Teague, Miller; re-recording mixers, Paul Massey, Christopher Boyes; animation director, Hal Hickel; visual effects supervisors, Tim Alexander, John Knoll; feature animation, Industrial Light & Magic; casting, Denise Chamian. Reviewed at the Grove, Los Angeles, Feb. 28, 2011. MPAA Rating: PG. Running time: 105 MIN.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:08 am

so sorry wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:So... they couldn't afford to do motion capture and are pretending that they're the first to use the voice actors as a reference for their animated counter-parts?

Seems like a fun enough movie. Somebody tell me if this is OK viewing for a 5 year old please. I was thinking about taking my daughter to see it.

I heard from a friend who saw it that moments are a little intense, but there's no real objectionable material or anything. Which is basically a long-winded way of saying I'm not sure. :?

Hermanator X wrote:

I love the "many suits" didnt know what nolan was up to with Inception line. As if the "journahahahhalists" knew or said or any better. I notice ring 2 and whetherman or woman was ignored. You make it up as you go along. As does most of the industry. Just embrace it, and stop trying to make it tangible!!!!

Hey Gore Verbinski didn't direct The Ring Two! And some people happen to like The Weather Man (<.<). However I don't see what's so risky about this project, either. Seems kind of like an obvious greenlight to me. Then again maybe it's a lot weirder than I'm expecting.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Saw Rango yesterday with my fiancee. We both loved it, altho she nearly died of embarassment when I nearly cheered during the Hunter Thompson cameo. Wonderfully quirky, and awesome all around. And Timothy Olyphant's Spirit of the West had me completely fooled into thinking it was Clint Eastwood It definitely is a western in so many respects and made me want to revisit Sergio Leone's trilogy as well as other westerns it homaged, like Once Upon A Time In The West too. BTW, did anyone else notice the Tie Fighter(or bomber) during the campfire scene? When Rango drew the scene with his embered stick.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 am

Take your kids*.
Take your pappy.
Take you second cousin's barber.

In fact,the only person I might not recommend Rango to is a long haired DJ in Germany. Simply because this movie delights in reference and homage,and that seems to bug him nearly as much as sunshine. Don't let that scare off the rest of you though, for this sure as shoot ain't no Shrek sequel. Everything borrowed from was worth honoring in the first place,and for the most part the material is used for entertainment beyond the usual "I see what you did there." variety. Even our hero smacking into Hunter S. Thomspon's windshield,seemingly pointless beyond a gag at first, creates a genuine connection you'll feel as the film progresses. Something wiggy this way comes.

Our scaly protagonist is an actor with no fellow performers aside from food and inanimate cage décor. The only interaction he has is what he can imagine. This has taken its toll on his psyche and shaped him into a creature without an identity. A highway accident frees him from his cage and leaves him stranded in the Mojave desert where he meets a nearly road-killed armadillo who is seeking the “Spirit of the West.” He pays little heed to a bunch of mysticism and metaphorical nonsense because clearly this guy's been out in the sun too long,but a nearby town is mentioned so he follows the directions given. After narrowly escaping a hawk he hunkers down for a rough night in an old pipe. He is awakened from a nightmare by a torrent of water that leaves him washed up near the feet of a young lady lizard named Beans. She's unimpressed with the awkward newcomer,but grudgingly offers him a ride into town. Her mind is mainly focused on the big question of the film- why would someone dump water in the middle of the desert?

The town of Dirt is full of the roughest hombres under a foot tall that you'll ever see. To survive, our friend does the only thing he knows how,and that's get into character. He concocts his persona after being given a drink stamped with the words “Bottled in Durango.” Then he quickly starts shoveling as much manure as his tongue can carry, and even claims to have killed seven brothers with one bullet. He then proceeds to piss off a local gang and is forced to put up or shut up. Before the gunfight can commence, the hawk reappears. Luckily,what Rango lacks in skill and bravery,he makes up for in Don Knotts style dumb luck. He manages to kill the hawk and instantly all doubts about him evaporate. The mayor makes him sheriff,and informs him of Dirt's dire situation. They're facing a drought,and if they don't get water soon,well... there'll be no more taters in Idaho.

I'll stop there because you can probably guess where this is going. Rango is Chinatown,The Brave Little Tailor,and The Three Amigos... minus two amigos. The plot may be familiar,but it is a Western after all,and the story of a Western is almost never the real story. The personal spiritual journey to find our identity is the heart of the tale. Little Rango is just luckier than most of us since he has one of Cinema's greatest badasses to help guide him.

Rango will undoubtedly stand a head taller than most of this years mediocre-looking animated whelps. It will be set apart visually by ILM rendered, 2D! scenery that's so purty it would make John Ford proud,and characters so full of weird and wonderful life that children will fall in love with what are generally considered the most uncuddly of animals. Of course, it also helps if you hire a voice cast that actually knows what the hell they're supposed to be doing aside from earning a check for lending their name to a trailer. But the two strongest points of the film are its kooky humor and serious sense of danger.

Starting with the latter first, Rango isn't afraid to be scary. Rattlesnake Jake is downright terrifying most of the time he's on screen. Characters face danger everywhere,and sometimes die. They die dead. Not just maybe dead,or funny dead. I can only hope this is part of a larger trend away from the safe and sterile style of toonmaking.

As for the humor, well it's definitely out there at times. Rango mumbles in free association, Beans has a fawlty defense mechanism that causes her to freeze whenever she's flustered(even mid-sentence),and the townsfolk perform a ritual water summoning dance set to Hank Williams' Cool Water. Then there are the mariachi owls who show up to break the fourth wall and sing about how Rango is doomed to die. I won't begin to detail the film references because reading about them would only spoil them. Let's just say they are many,sometimes subtle,sometimes not,but they mostly work.

What Verbinski,Paramount,and ILM have managed to accomplish in their first try took Dreamworks a decade,and that is equal Pixar. It may not have a deeply moving message like say, Toy Story 3,but when it comes to craftsmanship,wit,and whimsy- it's the same caliber.

DISCLAIMER: I want to make clear that I do not feel this is in any way an objective review. This film almost felt tailor-made for my tastes,and I don't know if it will be of use to anyone.

*How appropriate is all of this for the youngins? Well it's debatable but I can't imagine most parents would feel uncomfortable taking any kid over the age of six or so. I didn't hear any of the smaller ones fussing at my showing either,but then again, some folks are awful touchy about violence and “disturbing elements.” Hell is used six or seven times,and damn once or twice. The characters use guns and as I mentioned before, there's the occasional death. Make of this what you will,but I say shame on any parent who won't let their kid enjoy getting creeped out now and then.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:07 am

Hell yeah! Now that's how you write a review!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 am

So to sum it up... I'm guessing that Rango is awesome?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nice Marmot on Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Rango blew me away. I had high hopes and it delivered even more. Too many homages to classic westerns to count. Depp gave an awesome performance that felt like the best combination of animation and ad-libbing since Robin Williams in Aladdin.

If they told me this animation would be utilized for the Dark Tower films I'd be ecstatic. . .
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:37 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:43 am

Rango's probably one of the best movies out in theaters right now. I saw it last night and had a real good time. It is BLEAK, though. You know when a kids' movie begins with a pet lizard talking to re-animated roadkill and then fighting with another lizard to be the one not eaten by a hawk, you're in for a rough ride. But it's funny, offbeat, has a handful of great action scenes and borrows from a set of different Westerns with skill.

That said I have to confess I felt a little let down. It begins with some interesting existential questions about identity (which to be fair probably just sounds like a bunch of white noise to the film's target audience) and then never really answers them, beyond a half-hearted "You can't walk out on your own story." It's really entertaining, but a little shallower than I was hoping it would be. Big ups to the chorus of doomsaying mariachi owls though. Those guys had some hot licks.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby King Psyz on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:46 pm

so sorry wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Well...

Took my three year old, he was loving it, never acted scared or afraid. Stood up jumping up and down during a chase scene he was so excited...
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 pm

King Psyz wrote:
so sorry wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

Well...

Took my three year old, he was loving it, never acted scared or afraid. Stood up jumping up and down during a chase scene he was so excited...

Attaboy!
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I rented this, and I chose to watch the extended cut. This is the first time I've seen a cartoon kids movie that had the option of an extended cut.

The movie started out annoying the shit out of me right off the bat and then after that it was hit and miss. The whole thing was just full of meta bullshit that just kept slowing things down, annoying me, and taking me out of the movie. Characters constantly saying shit like "But I'm the protagonist, this is my story!" and "So now we fade to the shot where the hero rides off into the sunset?"

I was fine with the unauthorized digital cameos of Clint Eastwood and Hunter S. Thomspon and probably would've even really liked the meta-ness those moments if the rest of the movie wasn't full of the characters constantly breaking the fourth wall, talking with endless self-awareness, and making comments on the genre of film in which they are trapped while also busting out anachronistic comments that completely throw off the whole western thing.

For every clever piece clever funny absurdist dialogue there's a couple really shitty jokes to balance it out. I realize back when this movie was made, the trailer for YOUR HIGHNESS had not yet hit. So it had not yet been scientifically proven that jokes in which a man acts really macho and brags and then instantly turns around and gets scared or gets his ass kicked, are not funny, but I still think they should've known better. I mean, they busted out this shitty dead gag at least twice in this movie. I was also kinda surprised at the racist slurs on the Native character. I mean, actually calling him an "Ingin" in a kids movie? I get that the character is not technically a real Native because he is a crow, but still, it's like calling Jar Jar the n word.

However, on a techincal level, this film blew me away. This film has the best animations I have ever seen. The characters are so well designed and their movements and everything are great. The way the scenes are blocked out is like a real movie, using inventive and realistic lighting designs and shot composition and rollfocus techniques you don't normally see in cartoon movies. I thought that MAD MAX 2 style escape from the moles' gulch was a great action sequence with flawless momentum and kinetic energy. The staging and editing during that sequence is the most thrilled I've ever been during an animated movie action sequence.

Hans Zimmer also turns in a great authentic Morricone score. For a long time I kept thinking they were pulling a Quinty and re-using actual scores from real spaghetti westerns, but Zimmer recreated and updated that sound amazingly.

The voice acting is hit and miss. Depp is okay, but his voice for Rango tends to wander all over the place. At times he's channeling Kermit, at others he's become Bobcat Goldthwait and other times he's somebody else alltogether. Isla Fisher is decent at doing that cartoon Texan voice. Ned Beatty is fine playing another crippled bad guy similiar to the one he just played in TOY STORY 3. This time he's in a wheelchair instead of just holding a caine. Fucking cripples, the younger we can get our children distrusting them the better. And Bill Nighy did an excellent Lee Van Cliff impression.

So overall, there was some really inventive stuff in this movie, some great absurdist humour and some surreal visions to be had, but then they shot it all down with too much meta bullshit. There were stretches where I found myself enjoying it, but they didn't go long enough. I think Verbinksi is a skilled director and would see more animated films from him, I just think it's the writing here that killed this movie for me. But everybody else seems to love really self-referencial stuff like SHREK and KICK-ASS, so most people would probably enjoy this movie more than I.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 pm

OSCARS: Paramount Re-Releasing ‘Rango’
HOLLYWOOD, CA (January 24, 2012) – The now Academy Award-nominated Rango, from director Gore Verbinski and starring the voice of Johnny Depp, saddles up for a one week limited engagement at the ArcLight Hollywood beginning this Friday, January 27th. The original animated comedy-adventure from Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies a Blind Wing/GK Films Production was this morning nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Psyz on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Spandau Belly, I missed your review the first time and it seems we have a difference of opinion.

The part in the begining that annoyed you so set up the dialoge you felt was breaking the fourth wall. This is a house pet who watches TV and dreams of being a star. He holds plays with is aquarium mates to hone his craft and also deal with the very real solitude that comes from being a pet with nothing to interact with.

When he speaks of being the protaginist, etc., it's because he's halfway between thinking this is a dream and acting his way out of the situation.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:13 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:In fact,the only person I might not recommend Rango to is a long haired DJ in Germany. Simply because this movie delights in reference and homage,and that seems to bug him nearly as much as sunshine.

I watched it today and liked, but didn't love it. Don't know why. It wasn't the hommage stuff, because it wasn't the same uninspired let's-downright-steal-scenes-and-even-quote-dialogue-1:1-like-Adult-Swim-or-Tarantino-do "hommage" shit. (At least as far as I noticed. But I'm not a Western expert, so maybe I didn't get the most obvious scenes.) It was more a "Hey, you all know how the western genre looks and feels like, so here is our animated, absurd existentialistic, just family friendly enough version of it."
I really expected to like it more, but I wouldn't be surprised if I would begin to love it on my 2nd viewing. It was definitely something unique, from the ugly* look of the characters to the absurd, dreamlike story elements.

* I think the character design was brillant. With "ugly" I just mean that they weren't your typical cuddly Pixar characters. They had scars, warts, snot and...uhm...arrows.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Return to Animation