TRON: UPRISING *spoilers*

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

TRON: UPRISING *spoilers*

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:57 pm

From Collider:
Details on the Animated TRON TV Series, Titled TRON: UPRISING

From io9:
Tron Legacy May Be Only The Beginning
Graeme McMillan wrote:We hate to admit it, but we'd watch the hell out've a well-made CGI Tron cartoon. Who's got Genndy Tartakovsky's number?

From /film:
New Tron: Legacy Trailer in Wonderland, Disney Developing Tron Television Series

From THR:
Disney Channel previews new projects
Anthony Crupi, Mediaweek wrote:Disney Channel is developing a "Tron" animated series to follow the upcoming theatrical release of "Tron: Legacy."

The news was part of Disney's upfront presentation Tuesday evening to media buyers and clients, which included a preview of the "Tron" series. Geared towards kids age 6-14, the plan is to precede "Tron" with another project, a 10-part "Tron" micro-series premiering in fall 2011 on Disney XD.

Gary Marsh, entertainment president and chief creative officer of Disney Channels Worldwide, also offered a glimpse of "Legacy," which is at such an early juncture in the development process that only stills were available.

"Tron is another example of how we can take advantage of the intellectual property that the studio unit pays tens, if not hundreds, of millions to develop and market," said Marsh.

The "Tron" projects represent a CGI-refresh of Disney's 1982 theatrical, with "Legacy" expected to be released in December.

Disney also announced a movie based on Disney XD's madcap animated series "Phineas and Ferb" that's expected to debut in 2011.

"Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension" sends the boys (and their pet platypus, Perry) on a jaunt through a parallel universe, where they'll take on an even more dastardly version of their nemesis, Dr. Doofenshmirtz.

"Phineas and Ferb" is TV's most-watched animated series among kids 6-11 and 'tweens 9-14, per Nielsen ratings data. In 2009, the series out-delivered the season premieres of Cartoon Network's "Star Wars: Clone Wars" and "Ben 10: Alien Force."

This fall, Disney XD will also unveil a new animated series that looks to build on Disney's $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment -- "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes," which is based on a clutch of iconic Marvel superheroes that includes Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor and the Incredible Hulk. The strip will set the table for a pair of Avengers-themed theatricals that are slated to hit multiplexes in summer 2011.

"We've been pouring through the library of 7,000 Marvel characters looking for the next 'Spider-Man,'" Marsh said, adding that fans of the Marvel Universe should expect to see more cooperative ventures in the near future.

Disney also gave media buyers and clients their first look at a sequence from its latest musical franchise, running a five-minute clip of the upcoming Jonas Brothers-Demi Lovato flick "Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam."

As a capper to a Disney XD-focused upfront dinner hosted by Anne Sweeney, co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney ABC Television Group, the Mouse showed off a musical interlude from "Camp Rock 2," which positions the stars of the original movie against a horde of rich kids from a rival camp across the lake. Lovato and her confreres throw down with the hotshots from Camp Star in an energetic rocker ("It's On") that brings to mind the Jets vs. Sharks battles in "West Side Story," minus the gunplay.

While Disney is expecting huge dividends from "Camp Rock 2" -- the first installment in the franchise delivered 8.86 million viewers in its June 2008 premiere, making it the second-most-watched original movie in the network's history -- much of the evening was devoted to the upstart channel Disney XD.

Entering its second year after its Feb. 13, 2009 relaunch, the network formerly known as Toon Disney is making significant inroads among younger viewers, especially boys 6-14.

Disney XD closed out February with its biggest delivery of the target demo, averaging 79,000 in total day, an increase of 22% versus the year-ago period. In prime, Disney XD averaged 330,000 total viewers, up 5% from February 2009.

Along with current favorites "Phineas and Ferb" and the recently launched strip "Kick Buttowski," Disney XD has a number of other new projects in the works for 2010.

Marsh also presented a clip of the live-action series "Pair of Kings," a high-concept comedy about fraternal twins from Chicago ("Hannah Montana's" Mitchel Musso and "The Suite Life on Deck's" Doc Shaw) who discover that they are heirs to the throne of the island of Kinkou. Filming begins this week.

"Our success has always been about storytelling, and we do that better than anybody out there," Marsh told the assembled guests at New York's hip boite The Standard, a combination hotel/restaurant nestled beneath the city's great reclamation project, The Highline. In keeping with his surroundings, the Disney entertainment chief gave buyers and clients a sneak preview of two pilots that, at first blush, appeared to epitomize the concept of cool.

The animated pilot "Motor City" presents a vision of a Detroit stripped of its automotive culture. In fact, per the clip Marsh screened Tuesday night, cars have been banned outright, an imperial decree that forces a rag-tag group of young motorheads to indulge their enthusiasms under cover of darkness. (Fans of the Canadian rock group Rush will recognize thematic similarities between the pilot and the power trio's 1980 track "Red Barchetta.")

Also on deck at Disney XD is "Bat Boy," a documentary short-form special that takes viewers into the world of Major League Baseball through the eyes of a bat boy. The first telecast will serve as a series pilot and will follow Arizona Diamondbacks bat boy Daniel Chelgren. The series will debut in the spring, coinciding with the start of the 2010 MLB campaign.

Tuesday night's dinner also served as a coming-out party for Carolina Lightcap, who was recently named president of Disney Channels Worldwide. Lightcap had served as senior vp and chief creative officer of Disney Channels Latin America before being bumped up to her current position in November 2009.

A 20-year industry veteran, Lightcap took the role vacated by Rich Ross, who was named chairman of Walt Disney Studios in October. She's been on the job for seven weeks.

-- James Hibberd contributed to this report.

From Variety:
Disney XD orders 'Tron: Legacy' toon - 'Tron: Uprising' series to bow in summer of 2012
Michael Schneider wrote:Disney is spinning its upcoming "Tron: Legacy" feature into an animated TV series.

Boy-centric cabler Disney XD has given a series order to "Tron: Uprising," which is set for a summer 2012 bow.

Charlie Bean ("Samurai Jack") will exec produce and direct, while "Tron: Legacy" writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz will serve as consulting producers. "Tron: Legacy" co-producer Justin Springer is also on board.

"Tron: Uprising's" voice cast includes Elijah Wood, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens and Lance Henriksen. Bruce Boxleitner will also reprise his role as Tron.

Disney XD had already picked up a 10-part "Tron" microseries, which airs in fall 2011.

Disney TV Animation is behind the show. Disney Channels Worldwide entertainment prexy Gary Marsh called the new show "a culmination of an extraordinary collaboration between Disney Television Animation and our feature film studio."

Meeting with reporters on Thursday, Disney Channel execs also announced that it had picked up the live-action comedy series "A.N.T. Farm," about a 12-year-old musical prodigy (played by China McClain) and a new series of interstitials starring animated characters "Phineas and Ferb" as talkshow hosts.

"Take Two with Phineas and Ferb" bows on Dec. 3 and will feature guests such as Seth Rogen, Andy Samberg, Tony Hawk and Randy Jackson.

Also, Disney XD ordered the live-action comedy "Wasabi Warriors," about a ragtag group of kids at the worst martial arts studio in the country.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRON: UPRISING *spoilers*

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:38 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:54 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 am

Tron Uprising Animated Series Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:28 am

Stand by while I clean myself in my refractory period
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby papalazeru on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:24 am

I like that.

Good cast too.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Comic-Con: Tron: Uprising Sneak
At today's Kick Buttowski panel sponsored by Disney XD, one of the big reveals was concept art and animation test footage for Tron: Uprising. While some of the information revealed has previously been reported, a few new tidbits managed to find their way into the presentation.

"[Disney XD is] developing a TV series that takes place in the Tron universe," explained Eric Coleman, Senior Vice President, Original Series, Disney Television Animation. "It makes use of the amazing visual ascetic, but then customizes the storytelling for our XD audience. So the first step was to put together a team of amazingly talented artists to pull this off, who then worked with the writers of the movie.

"Our series takes place before the events of [Tron: Legacy]," continued Coleman. "So this is after Clu takes over power of the Grid. He believes he has killed Tron, but we find out in the series that Tron is not actually dead. He's just very badly injured. He's in hiding and he's training a new mentee. He has a prot�g� that he's raising to become the next Tron. That character is our new hero, Beck, who's played by Elijah Wood."

While the music that played over the presentation was reminiscent of the Tron: Legacy soundtrack, crafted by Daft Punk, the images presented also rang true to the film. Among them were shots of programs (wearing the all-too familiar black body suits with white trim lights), lightcycles, Recognizers, the orange-tinged Clu tanks, and Quorra's four-wheeled light-car (which looked more like a monster truck because of the fact that it was elevated up above four huge wheels). Large cityscapes were also revealed – a huge difference from the film which focused more on the game arena and the more desolate regions of the Grid populated by Flynn. With a heavy population of programs, we definitely get the sense that this is a much more populated world.

The accompanying voice-over, provided by Bruce Boxleitner, described the Grid as a place of infinite possibilities. Next came Wood who asked, "What are you looking for?"

"The next Tron," replied Boxleitner.

The small snippet of video that followed showed a black lightcycle being chased through the Grid city by two orange lightcycles. Suddenly, a third orange lightcycle appears ahead, bearing straight down on him. The rider (my best guess is that it's Beck) jumps straight up into the air off the bike – the bike continuing to exist and move without its rider attached. He grabs a parallel bar above and swings around it like a gymnast. His bike smashes into the orange bike, destroying it. The rider snaps the bar off the buildings to which it was attached and uses it to create a new lightcycle. He lands on the newly created bike and darts back down the street.

"We will be premiering the series next year with 10 micro-episodes that we'll be unrolling in early 2012," noted Coleman as the lights came back up in the room. "Three minute pieces that will lead up to the season premiere in the middle of the year."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 am

From Hero Complex:
‘Tron: Uprising’: An early look at Disney’s return to the Grid
Emily Rome wrote:The Grid, a world of shimmering, digital wonder, was introduced to moviegoers in 1982 film “Tron” and then taken to a new visual level in “Tron: Legacy” in 2010. Now the Grid is going to television and expanding with a wider mythology and new characters — and more of the sleek, glowing vehicles that fans love.

“Tron: Uprising,” which begins this summer on Disney XD, was developed by Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, the same tandem that wrote “Tron: Legacy,” and they say the freedom of animation is allowing to explore the Grid without the constraints of a special effects budget.

“The fun thing about animation is all the stuff we couldn’t afford in [‘Tron: Legacy’], either because they were financially or technologically prohibitive, we can now do because it’s animated,” Kitsis said.

The duo, now also working on its freshman ABC show “Once Upon a Time,” has picked up the Grid’s story right after Clu takes over, which happened years before the events of “Legacy.” The new show isn’t about users — those are humans who go into Grid, such as Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) or Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) in the films — but focuses instead on programs, the citizens of the Grid. The main character is Beck (voiced by Elijah Wood), the unlikely leader of a revolution against Clu.

As Kitsis puts it: “What happens when you find yourself occupied by a force that is not in your best interest – how do you fight back?”

As for the new vehicles, “Tron: Legacy” designer Daniel Simon is back on the job with creations such as the Light Crawler — which you can see in the exclusive early-look image above – and a Light Rail, which Kitsis calls “basically the coolest train you’ve ever seen — it goes upside down.”

In one episode, a fight takes place on the roof of the Light Rail, just one moment that evokes the western spirit that exists beneath the show’s high-tech trappings. The Grid, Horowitz explained, is “essentially a frontier town.”

Mandy Moore and Bruce Boxleitner (reprising his title role from the two movies) join Wood in the cast, while Charlie Bean (“Ren & Stimpy,” “Samurai Jack”) is the show’s director-showrunner. “Tron: Uprising” also features the music of Daft Punk.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:33 am

From AICN Jul 25, 1999:
Additional Rumors: Pixar working on a top secret remake/sequel to TRON'
Hey folks, Harry here. Some interesting developments have popped up about this story, and that's that there may well be two TRON projects bidding to be the 'next TRON movie', but both within Walt Disney's empire.

The first we heard about yesterday and concerned TRON and PIXAR (which is in a deal with Disney, thus being the tie-in for a possible sequel/remake) Then there is the project at Disney Animation (Yes, this has NOTHING to do with the alleged Pixar project, if it even exists) and is called WARRIORS OF TRON, apparently they have a script and are now conducting initial storyboards and animatic tests. And here is the basic rundown on the Disney Animation WARRIORS OF TRON project...

4 high school kids uncover a plot to destroy all the world's computer
systems on Jan 2, 2002. After alerting the authorities, they realize
nobody believes them. They search for help and it leads to an aging
Flynn. Flynn reveals that Alan and Lora died in a car accident 15 years
ago.. He is a recluse, and the guilt has left him feeling responsible in
some way. He dissmisses the teens, but after one of them probes him
about the Tron program, he agrees to send them into the new CPU. they
must compete in games set up by the CPU to destroy the system. Flynn
eventually joins them inside.

That's all that my fella at Disney would let on about, but it's enough that I hope and wish Lasseter godspeed with his project... if one exists.

Yesterday's report lays below this point.

Alright you Pixar animators, publicists, editors, musicians... Yeah you. I know you read the site... I have ways of knowing that stuff. Now fess up, what in the wide wide world of sports is a going on here?!?!?!?

Well, I have a good 30 or so folks that read this
article
over on ZDNET.com, that professes to have a source at PIXAR that's talking about a sequel/remake of TRON that John Lasseter is gonna be heading up.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?

Here is your mission should you choose to accept it. I want you, top secret employee of PIXAR, to spill the beans. I want to know everything that any of you know about this so-called project. If it doesn't exist... I wanna know. If it dood exist... I wanna know. Why do I wanna know? Because TRON is the coolest motherfucking holy mary mother of god cool reaming goat herding marshmellow roasting project this side of the afterlife. And if John is on board then God is on our geek's sides. Please be true.... If true then my 16 mm print of TRON just became my most valuable possession next to that Scary Monkey and Scrubbing Bubble.

Now one final thing super secret PIXAR spy.... Hurry. My pulse is racing. I'm studly. I could die and never know the truth. Think about my unborn grandkids in my loins. THey must know before the autopsy sets them free. I have to know. Please don't make me beg. Pllllllllllllleeeeaaaaaeeee..... I'm begging you, don't make me beg for it. I have dignity.... I have class.... All the women that want me will see me as the worm that I truly project Quint to be. ARGH!!!

Note to non-PIXAR employees: This is a ruse to get information. Actually a diabolical plan. You see. They won't be able to resist this level of pathetic whiney blubbering. I learned about this technique in a book on the life of Salvador Dali. He always got what he wanted. So.... GET ME THAT INFO.... and a can of Hungarian Moustache Wax.... Yeah.... Baby, my antennae will be erect!

From AICN Jul 27, 1999:
Further Information on TRON movies/tv show
Hey folks, Harry here... And this is the latest from my source over at Disney. Seems the two projects are aimed at totally different market areas... One for Television, the other for film. So... from now on, look for the WARRIORS OF TRON news over on Coaxial, while I'll be continuing to dig into this whole Pixar thing. Hmmm...

1) Warriors of Tron is NOT a PIXAR project. They are working separate
Tron related project, that (The PIXAR one) is shooting for a theatrical release n 2002.

2) Warriors of Tron is being presented as a made-for-tv Disney Sunday
night program...with a series to follow if it is successful.

it has been written with a younger audience in mind, but is DEFINATELY
not a Power VR Ranger rip-off. It will find an audience and use
computers to tie in with the program (internet bonuses) That all that is
being described for now. What "extras" the internet can give is
anybody's guess. I would also like to add that the new series is
proposing to keep the world of Tron the same as the original...in the
name of computer visuals.

From i am ROGUE:
IAR Exclusive: Bruce Boxleitner Gives an Update on 'TRON' Sequel and Animated Series
Jordan DeSaulnier wrote:

In 1982, writer-director Steven Lisberger's TRON represented a major step forward in visual effects, but its technical accomplishments didn't make it the commercial success Disney was aiming for. The film then spent two decades gaining a fervent cult following, prompting Disney to create a big budget sequel in 2010. The studio made it abundantly clear that TRON: Legacy was meant to kickstart a new franchise, but there's been little movement on another theatrical TRON in the last year. Now, star Bruce Boxleitner himself has provided an update on the third TRON, as well as this year's animated series TRON: Uprising.

The actor has an extensive resume, and is well known to genre fans as Captain John Sheridan on Babylon 5, but he is certainly most well known for his role in TRON. In fact, he played two roles in the film. In the real-world scenes, he appeared as Encom computer programmer Alan Bradley, but once the story entered the digitized world, Boxleitner played the title character, an heroic security program. In TRON: Legacy he again played Bradley, as well as Tron, in flashback scenes that featured Boxleitner looking almost thirty years younger thanks to some digital effects.

At a Playboy Mansion party celebrating the Blu-ray and DVD release of Relativity Media's Immortals this week, IAR Managing Editor Jami Philbrick had the opportunity to talk to Bruce Boxleitner about the possible second TRON sequel.

While Tron did appear in TRON: Legacy, many fans were displeased that there simply wasn't enough of the character. Asked if we'd see more of Tron in another film, Boxleitner said simply, "Yes," and went on to say the story would be a direct continuation. "The last movie didn't end," he said. "It actually started the next movie and then went to black."

Director Joseph Kosinski made his feature directorial debut on Legacy, and the film's $400 million in global grosses made it the biggest debut in film history. The tremendous expense involved in producing and promoting the film, though, meant a smaller profit margin than that massive figure suggests. As such, there's been plenty of talk that another TRON might not go forward, but Boxleitner is enthusiastic.

"It's in the works," he explained. "Anything could happen, but all I can say is, it's in its formative stages. [Joseph] Kosinski, who is slated for it, he's shooting another movie now, and then they'll get around to doing that. I think somewhere around 2014, maybe. I'm talking way out of school here, but they can't shoot me because I'm Tron."

Kosinski is currently directing another science fiction epic, alternately titled Oblivion and Horizons, for Universal Pictures. That film is set to hit theaters on July 19, 2013, after which, according to Boxleitner, the next TRON will proceed.

In June of last year, Disney hired screenwriter David DiGilio to write a script for the still-hypothetical sequel. Legacy screenwriting duo Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz could not return due to their duties executive producing the ABC series Once Upon a Time, but they're still involved TRON: Uprising, the animated series set to air on Disney XD this year. The reception to that series, which bridges the narrative gap between TRON and TRON: Legacy, will almost certainly be a gauge for the studio to determine continued audience interest in going back to the Grid.

Boxleitner lends his voice to TRON: Uprising, and said of the series, "I'm very proud of that. It's, I think, every bit as good as the movies. We have this tremendous talent, Elijah Wood, myself, Lance Henrikson, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, it just keeps going."

Asked about his exact role on the animated series, Boxleitner happily replied, "Who else would I be? I'm Tron. It's going to be on my gravestone, 'He was Tron.'"
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 am

From THR:
SXSW 2012: 'The Raid' Composer Joe Trapanese is Taking on 'TRON: Uprising'
Although Daft Punk got the lion's share of the credit for the score to 2010's TRON: Legacy, there were a lot of other talented artists working behind the scenes to help the electronic duo translate their dancefloor-friendly sound into something suitably dramatic. Joe Trapanese was the pair's orchestrator, and he now succeeds them in the TRON saga as the composer for TRON: Uprising, a prequel series that connects the dots between the original 1982 TRON and its long-awaited follow-up.

Earlier this week, The Hollywood Reporter spoke with Trapanese at the South by Southwest film festival about his work with Mike Shinoda for The Raid: Redemption, Gareth Evans’ forthcoming action thriller. Additionally, he offered some insights about what fans might expect when TRON: Uprising debuts in the summer of 2012 onDisney XD.

The Hollywood Reporter: What do you have lined up after The Raid? We understand you are doing some more TRON-related work.

Joe Trapanese: Yeah, as a composer I'm composing music for the show TRON: Uprising, which is actually an animated series that delves into the TRON world and it occurs between the original movie and the new movie, and really develops our characters and goes in a different place and it's very exciting to explore that world a little bit more.

THR: For your Uprising music are you using the framework of what Daft Punk and Wendy Carlos did in TRON and TRON: Legacy, respectively? Is it maybe a combination of things, like using Alexander Courage's original Star Trek theme and combining it with Jerry Goldsmith or James Horner's film scores?

Trapanese: Well, that's where the magic is, and that's what makes it so exciting -- that you come into this show excited about the legacy and the framework that you're working in. But what's cool is that we have a long season; we have a lot of episodes to get through, a lot of characters to develop, and what's great about that is you can take that framework that Daft worked so hard on in the film and then explore that. And you can take that story [by] Joe Kosinski and Sean Bailey and Justin Springer in the new film, plus the story of the original film, by Steve Lisberger, put them together and explore it in all sorts of ways that they couldn't even imagine. So its kind of the best of both worlds. You're kind of working within a really strong framework and really strong legacy, but you're also exploring it in ways that you're finding new creativity at every turn.

THR: How much recognition will feel fans of the films experience in your music? Will it at all be the same, or will it be a totally separate score in the way Clone Wars was as a series to the Star Wars films?

Trapanese: I think if you enjoyed the score for TRON: Legacy, you'll very much enjoy the score for TRON: Uprising.

From Collider :
January 9th, 2012

New Details on Disney XD’s TRON: UPRISING and ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN Animated Series

Dave Trumbore wrote:We brought you a teaser trailer for TRON: Uprising nearly a year ago as well as a clip from this past summer’s Comic-Con. Now, two years in the making, Disney is planning on rolling out the full series in June of this year. But first, they’re taking an interesting approach on the debut. According to Marsh:
“We’re taking a 10-part micro-sode approach, which will begin airing three-minute pieces in April.”
So, they’re probably going to attach these three-minute micro-clips at the end of other popular shows or perhaps port them over to a TRON: Uprising website? No idea. In the meantime, what we do know is that the animated series will feature a combination of traditional (2D) animation with 3D CG animation that will:
“Iffer a revolutionary visual aesthetic that is really going to help redefine the kind of animation that you can do on television around the globe. And luckily, we’ve been able to use the same writers, the same producers, and some of the same vehicle designers, who’ve created the images for the feature film, in the series.
As for timing, this series will play out between the original TRON and TRON: Legacy. Here’s what Marsh has to say about the plot:
“What’s happened is that Tron has been badly injured by villainous Clu, but he has found a protege, a brilliant young mechanic, who is another program like himself, named Beck and voiced by Elijah Wood, who TRON decides he is going to train to be the next TRON.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:38 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 am

TRON: UPRISING Disney XD Promo

Beck is a young program who becomes the skillful leader of a revolution inside the computer world of The Grid. His mission is to free his home and friends from the reign of the villainous Clu 2 and his henchman General Tesler. Beck will be trained by Tron - the greatest warrior the Grid has ever come to know. Tron will not only teach Beck the fighting and light cycle skills he needs to challenge this brutal military occupation, but he will be a guide and mentor to him as he grows beyond his youthful, impulsive nature into a courageous, powerful, strong leader. Destined to become the next Tron of the system, Beck adopts Tron's persona and becomes the archenemy of General Tesler and his oppressive forces.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:47 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:00 am

Watch Tron Uprising Darkness Descends Season 1 Trailer
TRON: Uprising (2012) TV Series Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 01, 2012 12:33 am

New Trailer for Disney’s Animated Series TRON: UPRISING
Tron: Uprising - New Trailer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue May 01, 2012 7:22 am

they definitely seem to have tried to give it a cinematic style in the "camera" angles and shots, though the animation style is too similar to the Clone Wars to distinguish itself as original or different in its look, which is kind of disappointing, I always thought that Tron had its own distinct style that helped set it apart, for better or worse.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Disney XD to Premiere Tron: Uprising on May 18
Disney XD delves inside the computer world of The Grid and the people who live there with TRON: Uprising, a visually striking new animated television series that follows the heroic journey of a new character, a young program named Beck, who becomes the unlikely leader of a revolution. The series, produced in CG animation with a 2D aesthetic, is set in the era of TRON between the stories in the 1982 feature film and Walt Disney Studios' TRON: Legacy. Disney Channel will present TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning, a 30-minute uninterrupted prelude to the series on FRIDAY, MAY 18 (9:30– 10:00 p.m., ET/PT). The special will encore uninterrupted on Disney XD on MONDAY, MAY 21(7:00 p.m. ET/PT), followed by the series launch on THURSDAY, JUNE 7 (9:00 p.m.) on Disney XD.

TRON: Uprising stars Elijah Wood as Beck, Bruce Boxleitner as Tron, Mandy Moore as Mara, Emmanuelle Chriqui as Paige, Nate Corddry as Zed, Lance Henriksen as General Tesler, Reginald VelJohnson as Able, Paul Reubens as Pavel and Tricia Helfer as The Grid.

Produced by Disney Television Animation, the series is executive-produced and directed by Charlie Bean (Robotboy, Samurai Jack and Powerpuff Girls) with Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz (both screenwriters of TRON: Legacy and executive producers of ABC's Lost and Once Upon a Time) and Justin Springer (co-producer of TRON: Legacy) as consulting producers. The music is composed by Joseph Trapanese (TRON: Legacy).

TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning introduces Beck, a young mechanic living in Argon City, a growing metropolis in a far off corner of The Grid that has just been occupied by General Tesler, a henchman of the notorious Clu. After his best friend Bodhi is ruthlessly derezzed by Clu's army, Beck seeks justice for his lost friend and launches a crusade against the regime. His rebellion captures the attention of Tron, the greatest warrior The Grid has ever known, who sees the potential in Beck and trains him to be his successor. Labeled with the moniker of The Renegade, Beck sparks a revolution to fight for the freedom of The Grid.

The multiplatform premiere schedule is as follows:

Monday, April 30

(9:00 p.m., ET/PT) - Disney XD will debut the official trailer for "TRON: Uprising" during the series premiere of "Motorcity" and online at DisneyXD.com.

Friday, May 11

"TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning" will be released on Disney Channel and Disney XD On Demand.

Sunday, May 13

"TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning" will be available on YouTube via Disney XD's Facebook Page.

Monday, May 14

"TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning" will be available on iTunes as a free download.

Tuesday, May 15

DisneyXD.com launches a new side-scrolling adventure-puzzle game, "Escape from Argon City," in which players help Beck master his light disc throwing skills to defeat General Tesler's army.

Friday, May 18

(9:30 p.m., ET/PT) - "TRON: Uprising, Beck's Beginning" airs uninterrupted on Disney Channel.

Directly following the linear premiere, DisneyXD.com will launch a new interactive video and gaming activity that invites users to immerse themselves in the world of TRON; the special will be split down into 10 micro-episodes in which users take on the role of Beck and help him fight to become the next hero of The Grid.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Peven wrote:they definitely seem to have tried to give it a cinematic style in the "camera" angles and shots, though the animation style is too similar to the Clone Wars to distinguish itself as original or different in its look, which is kind of disappointing, I always thought that Tron had its own distinct style that helped set it apart, for better or worse.

I loved the original Moebius/Mead look of Tron too.

From BC:
Watch! An Entire Chapter Of Tron: Uprising – Beck’s Beginning
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed May 16, 2012 5:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 20, 2012 2:12 am

From Cartoon Brew:
“Tron Uprising” Preview talkback
Jerry Beck wrote:Tonight at 9:30pm Eastern/Pacific, Disney’s Tron Uprising airs its pilot on Disney Channel (it’s also available online). I personally think this series is a breakthrough for a US-generated animated action series; a game changer.

For decades the standard look for adventure cartoons was the model started by Doug Wildey on Hanna Barbera’s Jonny Quest (1964). Later, Bruce Timm and the team at Warner Animation advanced the field with Batman: the Animated Series (1992), and there’s no denying Anime certainly brought a new feel to the genre.

Tron Uprising certainly borrows from those traditions and ups it a notch – a BIG notch. To be fair, the pilot airing tonight only shows off half the picture – the beautiful visuals designed by Art Director Alberto Mielgo and Lead Character Designer Robert Valley. The pilot Beck’s Beginning is a bit of a paste-up – as its constructed from the elements of the previously announced mini-sodes which were originally planned to preview the show (Disney execs decided to edit them into one 31 minute episode instead of presenting them as serialized bite-sized pieces, as first intended). Producer/director Charlie Bean (The Ren & Stimpy Show, Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack, The Amazing World of Gumball) has the perfect sensibility for this show – and from what I understand the storyline for the actual series is far more complex than the set-up presented tonight.

But so far, I love what I see. How about you? What’s your take? You have no excuse not to give it a try. Take a look at some of this gorgeous production material below. Top row: two of Mielgo’s magnificent production paintings, and a third by Joon Ahn; second row: a model sheet for some of the lead characters; third row: a few of Valley’s storyboards and (at my request) a Beck model sheet (click thumbnails to enlarge). Click all images for larger, fuller views.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 20, 2012 2:13 am

From Variety:
Tune-up for 'Tron' toon
Marc Graser wrote:"If I was going to do an animated version of 'Tron,' I didn't want it to feel like a cheap version of the movies," said "Uprising" exec producer and director Charlie Bean. "For the 12-year-old in me, this is what I would want to see."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 20, 2012 6:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 20, 2012 6:59 pm

'Tron: Uprising' nurses a franchise - Animated series on Disney XD could help lead to third film
Marc Graser wrote:"Tron: Legacy" grossed $400 million worldwide in 2010 and launched a successful line of consumer products as well as a theme park attraction at California Adventure. Now Disney hopes the latest spinoff of the 30-year-old "Tron" property -- the animated TV series "Tron: Uprising" -- finds a new, younger fanbase as the Mouse House develops a third film for the bigscreen.

Disney chief Bob Iger may not necessarily have had "Tron" in mind when he said he wants the studio to focus on launching tentpoles that can prop up all of the conglom's divisions, but he just may have a franchise on his hands nevertheless.

Kids cabler Disney XD is launching "Tron: Uprising" on June 7 with an immediate goal of appealing to the channel's target audience of 6- to 14-year-old boys.

The 3-year-old network is putting considerable coin behind the Disney Television Animation production, the channel's most expensive series to date. It features pricey CG animation produced in Tokyo, characters voiced by Elijah Wood, Bruce Boxleitner, Mandy Moore, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Nate Corddry, Lance Henriksen, Reginald VelJohnson, Tricia Helfer and Paul Reubens, as well as vehicle designs by Bugatti car designer Daniel Simon.

It's joining a schedule that features a Marvel block of toons "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" and "Ultimate Spider-Man," along with "Motorcity" and live-action shows like "Lab Rats.""Tron: Legacy" scribes and exec producers of ABC's "Lost" and "Once Upon a Time" Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz and "Legacy" co-producer Justin Springer serve as consulting producers. "Legacy" composer Joseph Trapanese returns for the music.

The show's slick impressionistic look borrows liberally from the style of Japanese anime that's influenced other hit animated series like Cartoon Network's "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" and "ThunderCats," with its elongated characters designed to resemble basketball players, according to "Uprising's" exec producer and director Charlie Bean, whose credits include "Samurai Jack" and "Powerpuff Girls."

"The first film was a massive influence on me," Bean said. "If I was going to do an animated version of 'Tron,' I didn't want it to feel like a cheap version of the movies. We stylized it in a way you couldn't in a movie. For the 12-year-old in me, it's what I would want to see."

"Aeon Flux" also was an influence, with its lanky athletic characters fitting into the permanent midnight world Bean wanted to create with art director Alberto Mielgo and character designer Rob Valley (the Gorillaz musicvideos).

The show was developed with its young target audience in mind, through the introduction of a new character, Beck, a rebellious teen who leads a revolution against the evil Clu and his army.

Series also includes several strong female characters. "I hope this has a female audience, too," Bean said. "That was very interesting to me."

Disney also wants to satisfy existing fans, setting "Uprising" in between the two "Tron" films, revealing what happened to the citizens of the computer world the Grid after Clu takes control. Tron trains Beck to lead a revolt to free his home and friends.

It's no coincidence that the plot aims to fill the gaps of what was only touched upon in the most recent pic.

"We wanted to create something that would satisfy the loyal 'Tron' fanbase but also give new viewers the chance to enter the 'Tron' universe for the first time and understand it if they didn't see the movies," Horowitz said, while not straying too far from what the scribes established for feature follow-ups.

Naturally, Walt Disney Studios hopes "Uprising's" initial order of 18 episodes prove a strong enough ratings performer to help greenlight a sequel to "Legacy" that David DiGilio (who penned the Disney pic "Eight Below" and created the short-lived series "Traveler) is writing.

Horowitz and Kitsis had planned on returning to write the follow-up but will produce instead while serving as showrunners on "Once Upon A Time's" second season.

Disney already has revved up its marketing machine for the show, producing what it calls a 30-minute "prelude" episode that introduces Beck to auds that aired on Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney XD On Demand, YouTube, Disney XD's Facebook page and iTunes as a free download before the show's launch. The episode airs tonight.

Following the premiere, "Tron: Uprising" will be showcased via Disney XD on Demand, DisneyXD.com, Disney XD Mobile, on the Sony PlayStation and Xbox 360 videogame consoles and iTunes.

Disney XD also has split up the prelude into 10 micro-episodes that turn it into part interactive video and game where users take on the role of Beck and help him fight to become the next hero of the grid. Games like "Renegade Strike" will launch on DisneyXD.com after episode airings.

"This show is the perfect way to take advantage of all opportunities for our audiences while appealing to their families, too," said Gary Marsh, president and chief creative officer of Disney Channels Worldwide. "It's expensive, yes, but I kept pushing our team to come up with something that hadn't been seen before. It's the kind of risk we feel is worth taking."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:19 am

From TV GUIDE:
Keck's Exclusives First Look:
Tron Reboots Olivia Wilde's Quorra
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Tron Uprising Update
robh wrote:here's a bunch of designs i did for Tron Uprising. one of the most amazing shows on TV and i am so proud to have contributed to its awesomeness.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:23 pm

From JHM 9 Aug 2012:
Tonight's "TRON: Uprising" marathon on Disney XD sets the stage for this Fall's explosive two-parter, "Scars"
Jim Hill wrote:You have to admit that it's kind of ironic that Elijah Wood has gone from playing Video Game Boy No. 1 in 1989's "Back to the Future 2" (He's the kid who -- after being shown how the "Wild Gunman" video game is actually played -- turns to Marty McFly and whines "You mean you have to use your hands?") ...

... to now voicing a character who actually lives inside of a video game in Disney XD's "TRON: Uprising."

And speaking of TRON newbies: When we spoke on the phone earlier this year about this new animated series, Elijah revealed that he wasn't exactly a fan of the first "TRON" movie.

"But given that I was only a year and a half old when the original 'TRON' movie was first released to theaters, I feel like I have a pretty good excuse for not fully embracing the franchise back then," Wood laughed. "But I do remember playing the TRON video game when I was a kid and really enjoying that. Which is why I was excited to see that storyline continued with 'TRON: Legacy ' in 2010."

Elijah especially enjoyed how Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (i.e. the screenwriters of "TRON: Legacy") had taken the world that Steve Lisberger had created back in 1982 and then expanded that mythology. Changing the Grid into a grander if somewhat grittier place.

"Which is why -- when I heard that Edward & Adam were part of the team developing a new 'TRON' animated series for Disney XD ... Well, I just had to check this project out," Wood enthused. "So when Disney called and asked me to take a meeting about possibly voicing a character for this show, I immediately said 'Yes.' "

So since Kitsis & Horowitz were involved, Elijah knew going in that the writing on "TRON: Legacy" would be solid. But what Wood wasn't ready for was the bold new look that Charlie Bean (i.e. the director and executive producer of this new Disney XD show) had envisioned for this animated series.

"When I looked at the concept art and animation tests that Charlie had put together ... There's no other way to describe it. Charlie had this really ambitious cinematic vision for 'TRON: Uprising,' " Wood continued. "Something that -- thanks to its mix of 2D animation and CG -- was going to look like nothing that had ever been on TV before. It was this -- coupled with the epic scope of the story that Edward & Adam were looking to tell with 'TRON: Uprising' -- that convinced me that I had to be part of this show."

That said, thanks to the voice work that he'd done for "Happy Feet" and "Happy Feet 2," Elijah knew that -- as an actor -- he'd now regularly be facing a unique set of challenges by agreeing to voice the character of Beck for "TRON: Uprising."

"9 times out of 10 when you're voicing a character for animation, you're in the studio alone while you're recording your lines. The only other people that you get to interact with are the director and the sound engineer. Both of whom are behind glass in the control room," Wood said. "What was nice about working on 'TRON: Uprising' is that Charlie would occasionally bring Mandy (Moore) and Emmanuelle (Chriqui) in to record with me. Which made that much easier to get through some of the exposition-heavy scenes that Beck had with Mara and Paige."

And speaking of exposition ... Getting caught up on "TRON: Uprising" 's backstory would probably be a very good idea right about now. Given that this animated series (which actually serves as a bridge between the original 1982 film and its 2010 sequel) is about to begin exploring a particularly intriguing aspect of this sci-fi franchise's mythology. Which (SPOILER ALERT) deals with how the previously heroic Tron (voiced by Bruce Boxleitner) eventually get transformed into Clu's vicious henchman, Rinzler.

Last month at Comic-Con International as part of a Disney Television Animation panel, the folks from Disney XD showed a trailer ...
... for an upcoming "TRON: Uprising" two-parter, "Scars." Which promises to reveal all sorts of juicy details about " ... the betrayal that will define a legacy."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm

anybody watching this? worth getting caught up on?

I do like the idea of an animated series bridging the two movies.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

From Tron-Sector:

TRON: UPRISING - New Episodes Are Here!
Jay West wrote:When the TRON: UPRISING animated series debuted this past May -- it struck me as something that transcended being "just" a television series: the production value was striking -- on the quality level of feature animation, and unlike anything that was otherwise commonplace amongst much TV animated series fare. Since then, UPRISING has consistently effused fantastic, imaginative direction and spectacular, highly stylized art design and music -- complemented by a sci-fi/fantasy "dream cast" including Elijah Wood, Bruce Boxleitner, Lance Henriksen, Mandy Moore, Paul Rebuens, and Tricia Helfer -- with clever, entertaining sci-fi stories delving further into the grand mythology of the World of TRON.

Also impressively, the series immediately cemented its own definitive place between both iconic TRON movies with its strong, signature elements -- making it stand head to head with each film.

However, since its debut, the series has had to contend with long breaks between certain episodes, making it difficult for many viewers to track and follow the series with any type of regularity. As well, its time slot has changed twice -- and is now being changed again to Sundays at midnight, Pacific time -- starting on December 2nd. Thankfully we live in the day and age of being able to set our DVRs (digital video recorders) to easily record TV programming!

Many on the net have also voiced that they do not get the Disney X D channel upon which it airs -- and the series actually found higher ratings and a wider audience when it was "shared" briefly on the Disney Channel for a few episodes. Other excellent ways to view the show are via iTunes, Xbox Live Marketplace, the Playstation Store, and Amazon.com Instant Video -- episodes are added there within hours of their broadcast on Disney X D -- and come with full Hi-Definition and Standard Definition viewing options.

I recently had the privilege of viewing an upcoming episode -- "The Stranger" -- which is set for broadcast on December 9th (one week after the series resumes episodes on December 2nd). Just when it seemed the series couldn't possibly get any better, the envelope has been pushed even further with stunning artistry and inventiveness -- and just flat out coolness. I won't go into any spoiler territory here -- but rest assured, it's epic!

There are nine more episodes in this season of TRON: UPRISING -- and to quote Castor from TRON: LEGACY -- "This is going to be quite the ride!".

Keep checking back to TRON-SECTOR for additional updates. You can also follow UPRISING's Director Charlie Bean on his twitter page here -- visit Art Director Alberto Mieglo's website here -- and check out Music Composer Joe Traponese's twitter page here. Speaking of UPRISING's outstanding music -- fans will be pleased to know there will be an official TRON: UPRISING soundtrack release soon!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:anybody watching this? worth getting caught up on?

I do like the idea of an animated series bridging the two movies.

Scars was a really good episode. I won't spoil it, but it is worth checking out.
From YouTube:
"Scars" Preview - TRON: Uprising - Comic-Con 2012 - Disney XD Official

Tron:Uprising concept art:
Annis Naeem wrote:I had the pleasure of working on TRON:Uprising from 2011-2012. The show has been airing this year and has a few episodes left to go. The experience was invaluable and a time filled with creative memories I'll remember forever. Thanks to Charlie Bean and Albeto Mielgo for the awesome experience. I was mainly responsible for Vehicle Design working along with Daniel Simon and Vaughan Ling. Whenever there was down-time, I moved on to do environments for the show. It was a nice blend, and I was always on my toes.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm not watching this cartoon, but one thing I like about it is that they use music from "TRON R3C0NF1GUR3D" (the super-fantastic remix album) in the commercials.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 pm

sweet, thanks guys. I'll check it out.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm

From THR:
'Tron: Uprising' Soundtrack Premiere: Action in the Grid (Exclusive Audio)
As the animated series reaches its apex, Disney XD is teasing out some of the electronic beats that keep Beck and company charged up.
Jordan Zakarin wrote:Here's an early Christmas gift from The Grid.

With Tron: Uprising, the 2D animated series that bridges the gap between the cult classic original Tron movie and the 2010 follow up, heading toward the end of its first season run, Disney XD is making moves toward releasing its EDM-centric soundtrack. Composed by Joseph Trapanese -- who arranged Daft Punk's hit soundtrack for Tron: Legacy -- the Uprising score extends the computerized audio adventure even further, stretching over 18 episodes.

The show stars Elijah Wood as the voice of Beck, a rebel leader fighting against Clu within the computer mainframe world of oppression. Code named Renegade, he is the apprentice of Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) and coworker of Mara (Mandy Moore) and Zed (Nate Corddry). The show chronicles the battle for freedom that was waged before Garrett Hedlund joined Jeff Bridges in Legacy. The Hollywood Reporter is premiering the track "Goodbye Renegade."

A second sequel for the film franchise was recently announced.

"With animation, we’re not hindered by the limitations of visual effects and real world stunts. The scope can be much bigger," Trapanese said of working on the cartoon. "Through the two years of collaboration with Daft Punk, we found a balance of electronics and orchestra that worked very well for The Grid, and I've tried to build on that. The remixes for the show are from artists whom I have a great respect for and Cole’s track is added on as his unique, artistic reaction to what we’ve been doing.”

The soundtrack goes on pre-order Dec. 18.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 am

CD Review “TRON: Uprising” (Music from and Inspired by the Series)

Reginald VelJohnson talks about his role in “TRON: Uprising”

Mike Gencarelli wrote:Reginald VelJohnson is best known for his role of Carl Winslow in “Family Matters”. Reginald is currently voicing the role of Able in Disney XD’s “TRON: Uprising”. In recent episodes, his character Able had a big reveal and has become a key factor of the show. Reginald took out sometime to chat with Media Mikes about his role and reflect on TV values since “Family Matters”.

Mike Gencarelli: What drew you to the role of Able in “TRON: Uprising”?

Reginald VelJohnson:
I’ve always appreciated the animation and when I got the opportunity to audition for the role, I made sure that it was something that I was going to be attracted to. It’s the kind of role I usually play, the father figure and mentor to the programs in the grid. It’s essentially the character that drew me to the project.

MG: Can you reflect on the intrigue that is behind the “TRON” series?

RVJ:
I think Tron is one of the first video games so it’s like the grandfather of the video era. Tron represents this everyman and comes across as something so powerful, like the computer. He lives through this world, and I guess people are fascinated by that concept, living inside this computer generated world.

MG: What do you enjoy most about Beck and Able’s relationship on the show?

RVJ:
He’s the father figure and Able really thinks of all the individuals in the garage as his children and he cares for them and that’s what I think is lovely about the relationship between Beck and Able. It’s like a father and son type of relationship.

MG: In upcoming episodes, we find that Able has this unknown relationship with a powerful figure on the Grid; can you tell us about that reveal for you?
RVJ: Well, it was interesting to me to find out that he has an outsider relationship with this powerful character, and I think this relationship makes him more interesting.

MG: What is the most rewarding aspect of doing voice work?

RVJ:
The hours; you go into the studio whenever you want to. You sit in a booth and do your job and you go home – it’s wonderful. I like that it gives you a chance to really explore your craft with your voice.

MG: Have you completed the recording for the first season yet?

RVJ:
I believe we have, I think I did one last episode. I think the new season begins pretty soon but I think we’ve finished off all the episodes of the season.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Tron: Uprising Canceled
The Disney XD show will not be renewed for a second season and has been canceled.

It has been getting many stellar reviews, been nominated for numerous awards, and has a small but devoted fan base, but it appears none of these things could save Tron Uprising from cancelation. Yesterday, one of the show's artists, posted on Twitter, stating:
We're gonna look back at this show & think, "We really had something there."

He then fully confirmed that the show wouldn't be returning for another season. Much like it's opposite number, Motor City, Tron Uprising had struggled to find viewership in the random time slots it was put in on Disney XD, though it originally garnered a high rating with it's debut episode.

Ironically, this comes just after the show had it's score released online. The final batch of episodes the show has already produced will air by the end of January.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

TRON: UPRISING - The Series Comes To An End
The TRON: UPRISING animated series will soon be coming to end -- with the three remaining episodes airing this month on Disney's X D channel on Sundays at midnight, Pacific time. This brings the series to a total 18 episode run -- or 19 episodes, if you count the 32 minute prologue "Beck's Beginning".

Ultimately, the series was never given a fair shake with its sporadic showings and extreme time changes on Disney's X D Channel -- which made it incredibly difficult to follow. While this is "The End" for now -- there is perhaps a possibility of TRON returning in animated series form circa the time of TRON 3.

I truly hope that the talented, creative forces behind TRON: UPRISING have the opportunity to gather again as a team in the future to explore this sci-fi/fantasy world further -- so as to continue to push the envelope as they so imaginatively have done. They created something very unique here, and made a bitchin' canon entry for the TRON saga with UPRISING -- one that holds up neck and neck with the two feature films.

Is TRON gone? Never… TRON LIVES.

* Note: As of this writing, the TRON: UPRISING soundtrack is #7 in the Top Ten Soundtracks on iTunes -- and TRON: UPRISING made the iTunes Best of 2012 list for Breakthrough Animated Series.

- Jay West
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 am

Tron: Uprising Producer - "We Need More Viewers"
Edward Kitsis talks about the struggling show, saying its fate has not been decided.

Eric Goldman wrote:Edward Kitsis was at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour to promote his hit series -- with his partner Adam Horowitz -- Once Upon a Time this week. But when I spoke to him, I also asked about the status of Tron: Uprising, the animated series he and Horowitz are producers on.

Kitsis was very excited to talk about Tron: Uprising, exclaiming, “It’s so good!” when I first mentioned it. However, it’s no secret that the Disney XD series has struggled and recently reports spread that it was cancelled, after one of the show’s storyboard artists, Eric Canete, tweeted it was “sadly ending.”

Since then though, as news spread, sourcing Canete’s tweets, that the show was over, he’s tweeted more statements, saying things like, “Jeez. Before things get out of hand- I did NOT cancel TRON, NOR AM I LOOPED INTO ITS FUTURE AS A SERIES. There. Get off me, Disney Troopers” and “Speculator sites: My opinions are my own & not 100% corroborated. STOP REPOSTING & RUMORING AS IF WHT IM SAYING IS GOSPEL.”

When I spoke to Kitsis this week, he told me, “I don’t know what the future [of Tron: Uprising] is now. I know at the present, I can say we need more viewers. I’m so proud of that show and I love that show and anyone who watches it loves that show. The problem is, not enough people are watching it. And so I would love to sound the alarm, because I love the characters and the world and it’s really… It’s a shame that more people aren’t watching it, because I think they’re missing out.”

When it came to his love of the series, Kitsis added, “I’m not even being like, ‘It’s my show!’ Because Charlie Bean runs the day to day. Adam and I created it but Charlie and a great team of writers run the day to day and there are times when I’m just a fan."

When it came to those reports that Tron: Uprising already been canceled, Kitsis remarked, “At this point, I don’t believe its fate has been decided. So if people keep watching, then there’s still a chance. Please watch. Tell your friends!”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 am

Blue Sky Disney:
The Grid On Netflix...
"Tron: Uprising" is one of the most creatively underrated animated series created...

And the chaotic schedule that the Mouse put in on gave fans of the series a hard time finding it. It also made it difficult for a potential growing audience. So there was/has been no announcement of a new season following the original run. But if you liked the show, there's a new way to see it; especially if you don't have Disney XD.

Netflix.

Disney, as part of their expanding deal with the streaming Juggernaut have announced that the entire season of the show will be available on demand for all its subscribers. The show along with four others ("Jake and the Never Land Pirates", "Handy Manny," "Special Agent Oso" and "JoJo's Circus,"), increase the company's content on Netflix. Will this result in more shows?

There has been no announcement of a season two of the show, and we don't know if they will continue it on XD. But what about Netflix? They have brought other shows back to life based on viewing habits. Could Disney Television Animation get another season together by proxy? Having Netflix decide to pay to have more seasons available on demand? It would be a way for The Walt Disney Company to continue to have more episodes while defraying the cost of such an expenditure.

Netflix is looking to add more family entertainment recently (Turbo F.A.S.T.). Could this be a way to broaden the Tron universe by partnering with Netflix? It could be a business friendly way to increase content and exposure for a franchise that has a sequel in development. It would be a great way to remind the public that the Grid is still alive.

And it's on Netflix...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:11 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 pm

vimeo:
Alberto Mielgo wrote:During 3 years I was working on Tron Uprising as the Art Director/Production Designer.
I received the Primetime EMMY AWARD for individual achievement in animation for Best Art Direction and the ANNIE AWARD for best Production Design in an Animated Television Production

Here, 4 minutes re-edit of my favourite scenes.

TRON UPRISING Art Direction
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRON: LIVES

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:54 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:46 pm

World Animation and VFX Summit Turns Three
AWN correspondent Heather Kenyon takes a working vacation in Los Angeles for the third annual World Animation and VFX Summit, including the Opening Night Gala and two days of panels and discussions.
Heather Kenyon wrote:A really great discussion was had about “Rebooting Classic Properties” and featured Disney’s Troy Underwood discussing Tron and Star Wars, Cort Lane from Marvel and David Voss from Mattel’s Playground Productions giving us an inside look at their upcoming He-Man.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Animation