How Toy Story SHOULD have been...

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

How Toy Story SHOULD have been...

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Well I tried doing a simple search for the Toy Story 3 thread, did all the clicking on the Advanced Search page that one requires to do but can't find the darn thread anyway, so I can't be arsed with this place if it can't sort it's act out. Nick - you're a gentleman, you've been here over 2 years saying you're gonna whip this place into shape and you've done sod all about this, no mater how many complaints you get.

So I'll just post my bit here and let you Mods and so called Admins put it in the proper thread, if you can find it.

I was going to say that with the underwhelming unsad ending to Toy Story 3 and how it doesn't address the REALITY and PAIN of actual life, well this is instead how the film should have been made...

Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: How Toy Story SHOULD have been...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72406

I was on the first page in the animation section. The 7th thread down.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 am

Worst. Thread. Ever.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:, no mater how many complaints you get.

I think he just referred to you as a german mother....(shut yo' mouth).

Toy Story 3 was a really good movie. The ending was sappy but it's a kids film, what did you expect.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Toy Story 3 was a really good movie. The ending was sappy but it's a kids film, what did you expect.

The truth, Papa. The truth.

People get rejected and dumped. They gotta live with it. They don't find a replacement to the ones that rejected them the same fucking day. Life ain't like that. The lesson this film should have taught us i show to simply deal with it, live with it. Instead it lied to us that things would be OK.

It won't.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

The truth, Papa. The truth.

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm

life is about ups and downs, Kirk. and yes, after the "downs" there are almost always "ups" that follow. after one relationship ends another almost inevitably begins...eventually. and as we grow the relationships we have change, if for no other reason than the people we share those relationships with change, and hopefully we do, too. the relationships we build and experience as kids or in our teens are not the same as the ones we make in our 20's, and the ones we make in middle life are different still. i assume that the relationships made in later life have their own particular traits as well. we grow, we share, we fall, we get up, we change, hopefully we grow some more, we share again, and so on. in TS3 they experience this, and the relationship they will have with their new owner will not be just like the one they had with their first owner, she will not play with them the same way, will have different games, different habits, so it isn't as if the toys got the same life over again, they are simply continuing on a path from one experience to another, like we all are...

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:People get rejected and dumped. They gotta live with it. They don't find a replacement to the ones that rejected them the same fucking day. Life ain't like that. The lesson this film should have taught us i show to simply deal with it, live with it. Instead it lied to us that things would be OK.

It won't.

Oh, come on, Kirk. You can make the same point about nearly every film out there. Look at LOTR. You can defeat Evil by throwing a ring into a volcano. Just throw the ring into the volcano and then Everything Will Be Great. Right? Is that how life works? Of course not. In real life, you throw hundreds of rings into hundreds of volcanoes and you still have thousands of incredibly tough problems to solve before Everything Will Be Great. So LOTR lied to us. Every movie lies to us. Don't just single out Toy Story 3.

We watch movies, in part, to escape the grim reality we face every day. We watch so that we can, for a couple of hours or so, live in a world where throwing a ring into a volcano CAN solve all the problems. A world where much-loved but outgrown toys get new owners and new purposes in life the same fucking day. That's why we watch - so we can feel good, when the real world offers us very few reasons to.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Peven wrote:life is about ups and downs, Kirk. and yes, after the "downs" there are almost always "ups" that follow. after one relationship ends another almost inevitably begins...eventually. and as we grow the relationships we have change, if for no other reason than the people we share those relationships with change, and hopefully we do, too. the relationships we build and experience as kids or in our teens are not the same as the ones we make in our 20's, and the ones we make in middle life are different still. i assume that the relationships made in later life have their own particular traits as well. we grow, we share, we fall, we get up, we change, hopefully we grow some more, we share again, and so on. in TS3 they experience this, and the relationship they will have with their new owner will not be just like the one they had with their first owner, she will not play with them the same way, will have different games, different habits, so it isn't as if the toys got the same life over again, they are simply continuing on a path from one experience to another, like we all are...

Yeah maybe, but I think that the finding of the new happens unrealistically fast, and apart form some rebound chicks in life, this isn't the reality. There are long periods of grief an darkness are they not after rejection?

And for some, they don't find replacements. And for most toys, they ARE just destroyed. I just think that the film makes it too easy and reassuring, like it's telling us that they will always be safety nets to catch us when we fall. It don't always happen. Sometimes, we fall, an we hit the ground. It hurts, or destroys us. It did me anyway. Still waiting to this day for someone to rescue me. Thanks a lot, Toy Story!

I think that the best lesson we should be taught form this movie (Seeing as movies all love to teach us characteristic development over most other things), is not to rely on others to save us, if they do or don't, we should be told inner strength, to accept, to deal, to move on. Or to accept even Death. As THAT'S gonna happen to all of us in reality, nothing is gonna stop that, I'm sure even Disney will agree.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 pm

There was something lacking with Toy Story 3. The ending was underwhelming and a bit too twee, but altogether it did seem to be missing that usual extra-value-added Pixar level of excellence (it was still way above the par of other animated films of its ilk)

The toys should've been happy to be released from the confines of Andy's bedroom, especially since they'd be traumatised by several years of having to watch the teenage Andy enjoying the pleasures of the palm. Buzz's adventures of cleaning up used tissues from the bedroom floor and the character of Crusty Sports Sock were left offscreen, and this is possibly why some of the toys were so keen to take up residence at the playschool.

And Pixar don't make films for kids. They make films for everyone. That's why they succeed where others fail.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm

minstrel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:People get rejected and dumped. They gotta live with it. They don't find a replacement to the ones that rejected them the same fucking day. Life ain't like that. The lesson this film should have taught us i show to simply deal with it, live with it. Instead it lied to us that things would be OK.

It won't.

Oh, come on, Kirk. You can make the same point about nearly every film out there. Look at LOTR. You can defeat Evil by throwing a ring into a volcano. Just throw the ring into the volcano and then Everything Will Be Great. Right? Is that how life works? Of course not. In real life, you throw hundreds of rings into hundreds of volcanoes and you still have thousands of incredibly tough problems to solve before Everything Will Be Great. So LOTR lied to us. Every movie lies to us. Don't just single out Toy Story 3.

We watch movies, in part, to escape the grim reality we face every day. We watch so that we can, for a couple of hours or so, live in a world where throwing a ring into a volcano CAN solve all the problems. A world where much-loved but outgrown toys get new owners and new purposes in life the same fucking day. That's why we watch - so we can feel good, when the real world offers us very few reasons to.

I'm sorry but I don't buy it. What you say is rather generic too. LOTR's message that you talk of isn't as direct as Toy Story 3's. Toy Story 3 said that you go from one owner miraculously to another, snap, just like that. Bullshit. Lightning don't strike in the same place twice. Even if a rescue does come in time, and a lot of time it never does, this movie should be telling us how to cope in the long eternal interim inbetween - as that suffering can last forever and destroy you before you are found again. Also rejection comes in many different shapes and forms, some forms of which do not get replaced with new love of that kind, or any.

LOTR's happy ending was a lot more hard earned and took death and sacrifice, it wasn't as easy. But even so, I still think that the LOTR ending had some cheats. All the main character survive, little loss from that front. I don't just single out Toy Story 3 anyway. Ask me if movie happy endings reflect life's and you'll find a very cynical and further unhoping answer.

Hope - it's a 4 lettered word for me, and seriously, after I got rejected last year (Still waiting for a pick up, Toy Story 3!) it is my most disliked word.

Survival - now that IS my favourite word from the same experience. A word in which Toy Story 3 should be teaching me. Instead of to believe lies.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it. That is why I am the Morgan Freeman William Somerset from Tory Story Se7en than the Toy Story we got in the end.

Also as every movie expert will tell you, no matter how escapist a movie is, in order for you to buy into it as fantasy or reality, it has to be plausible enough. For a piece of fantasy, LOTR is plausible just enough for me, obviously not 100%. It's fantasy, but still just about believeable enough fantasy for me to escape into and live with. While Toy Story 3 is condescending bullshit. It spins a bigger lie than LOTR. Which is why some films I buy into, some I don't.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm

By the way, my toys all got thrown out by my Dad. Very few went to new hands, albeit unpersonal ones. Hence my anger at being cheated by the ending even more.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Y'know, I'm sick of movies selling us false hope. It's worse than insulting, it's a crime. And I take it personally, it's like they think so little of you as to talk down with such shit lies like that. Hope will get you into trouble, hope can be dangerous, hope can get you killed, it is exactly true what Morgan Freeman says. If I were to pin my fortunes on what this film says and sit here 'hoping' or thinking things would be OK, I'd be dead before they do.

Sooner movies tell us the truth that life is shit and that we have to cope with it our own way to survive, instead of waiting and hoping for someone to save us, the sooner we will be better off. Toy Story 3 in this respect is one of the worst movies ever made.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:15 pm

so, Kirk, what are your thoughts about "Small Soldiers"?

the last scene where the Gorgonites go sailing off to find their destiny? does that fit more into your idea of the uncertainty of life that movies should sell you instead of false hope of a happy ending?

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:20 pm

I thought the Gorgonites were disappointing characters that got their asses kicked too easily by the soldiers. Couldn't root or care for them that much. I want my soldiers to be REAL MEN!!

I also thought Flash Gordon was a bit of lucky wimpy prat too.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Kirk, you're pissed off at Toy Story 3 because it didn't convey the message you personally wanted. That doesn't make it a bad movie, it's just not the movie you were demanding. You're taking out your own frustrations on a movie that obviously wasn't made to suit your specific needs.

Grow up. Stop pissing all over a movie just because it doesn't meet your personal specifications.
minstrel

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:00 pm

i kind of "get' where Kirk is coming from in being frustrated with what a movie is "saying" or how it wraps up, example being the ending of "Casablanca" has always pissed me off and prevents me from enjoying the film as a whole as much as others......i mean, fuck that, you only live once and if you love her THAT much then you don't push her into some frenchie's arms and out of your life forever, especially not after being lucky enough to have had her come back into your life again when you had thought she was gone forever......stupid fucking ending of a movie anyway... :twisted:

and yet a lot of people love the movie partly because of the ending....go figure

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Peven wrote:i kind of "get' where Kirk is coming from in being frustrated with what a movie is "saying" or how it wraps up, example being the ending of "Casablanca" has always pissed me off and prevents me from enjoying the film as a whole as much as others......i mean, fuck that, you only live once and if you love her THAT much then you don't push her into some frenchie's arms and out of your life forever, especially not after being lucky enough to have had her come back into your life again when you had thought she was gone forever......stupid fucking ending of a movie anyway... :twisted:

and yet a lot of people love the movie partly because of the ending....go figure

The ending of Casablanca is one of the greatest ever. Casablanca is one of my top five movies of all time. What do you mean, you don't push her into some Frenchie's arms and out of your life forever? The movie was ABOUT Rick waking up to the fact that there are SERIOUS issues in the world - that the "problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans" - that sometimes, you have to make SACRIFICES, and this was Rick's sacrifice. The ending ennobled Rick - it made him the hero we all wanted him to be through the whole movie. For him to try to hang onto Ilsa would have utterly destroyed the movie. I can't believe that's the ending you wanted.
minstrel

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 pm

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:i kind of "get' where Kirk is coming from in being frustrated with what a movie is "saying" or how it wraps up, example being the ending of "Casablanca" has always pissed me off and prevents me from enjoying the film as a whole as much as others......i mean, fuck that, you only live once and if you love her THAT much then you don't push her into some frenchie's arms and out of your life forever, especially not after being lucky enough to have had her come back into your life again when you had thought she was gone forever......stupid fucking ending of a movie anyway... :twisted:

The ending of Casablanca is one of the greatest ever. Casablanca is one of my top five movies of all time. What do you mean, you don't push her into some Frenchie's arms and out of your life forever? The movie was ABOUT Rick waking up to the fact that there are SERIOUS issues in the world - that the "problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans" - that sometimes, you have to make SACRIFICES, and this was Rick's sacrifice. The ending ennobled Rick - it made him the hero we all wanted him to be through the whole movie. For him to try to hang onto Ilsa would have utterly destroyed the movie. I can't believe that's the ending you wanted.

You mean this ending?

Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 am

minstrel wrote:

The ending of Casablanca is one of the greatest ever. Casablanca is one of my top five movies of all time. What do you mean, you don't push her into some Frenchie's arms and out of your life forever? The movie was ABOUT Rick waking up to the fact that there are SERIOUS issues in the world - that the "problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans" - that sometimes, you have to make SACRIFICES, and this was Rick's sacrifice.

this coming from a devout atheist? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when Rick is dead what will it matter if he is ennobled or not anyway, right? he only lives once and when it is over it is over, and so pushing away the love of his life accomplishes what? lives the rest of his life alone and unhappy to serve some greater purpose? why? when he dies he will simply cease to exist so why shouldn't he make the most of the life he has by spending it with the woman he loves so dearly? what does he owe to the rest of the world? serving some morality based on the idea that there is something/someone greater than ourselves? bah, simple-minded religious claptrap :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 am

Peven wrote:this coming from a devout atheist? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when Rick is dead what will it matter if he is ennobled or not anyway, right? he only lives once and when it is over it is over, and so pushing away the love of his life accomplishes what? lives the rest of his life alone and unhappy to serve some greater purpose? why? when he dies he will simply cease to exist so why shouldn't he make the most of the life he has by spending it with the woman he loves so dearly? what does he owe to the rest of the world? serving some morality based on the idea that there is something/someone greater than ourselves? bah, simple-minded religious claptrap :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been drinking, but I'll try to answer at least the main point of this anyway. Peven, you don't seem to understand that Rick won't "make the most of his life by spending it with the woman he loves so dearly." Yes, he loves her that dearly. But if he doesn't do what he does at the end of Casablanca, he isn't Rick. He becomes a lesser being, a worm. Sure, a worm owes nothing to the rest of the world, but Rick realizes that he does, and that makes him human - makes him heroic. You may call this simple-minded religious claptrap, but it sounds like you wanted Casablanca to end with Rick drinking whiskey and eating chocolate ice cream forever and not giving a shit about anybody else. This doesn't have anything to do with religion. It has to do with adulthood. Those of us who are adults want Rick to make that sacrifice, and to understand that there is something greater than him, and to gain courage from that knowledge.
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 am

minstrel wrote:Kirk, you're pissed off at Toy Story 3 because it didn't convey the message you personally wanted. That doesn't make it a bad movie, it's just not the movie you were demanding. You're taking out your own frustrations on a movie that obviously wasn't made to suit your specific needs.

Grow up. Stop pissing all over a movie just because it doesn't meet your personal specifications.

You have no idea what you're talking about. One of the textbook requirements whether you like a movie or not is down to how you view life and you view the movie's view on life. It just doesn't fit my views, therefore my view is - it sucks and we're all gonna die!!! Alone! Deal!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 am

Thanks for blowing the ending to Casablanca for me, people! :evil: :evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:17 am

I think we should change the subject of this thread into ruining the endings of movies Kirk has not seen.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:this coming from a devout atheist? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: when Rick is dead what will it matter if he is ennobled or not anyway, right? he only lives once and when it is over it is over, and so pushing away the love of his life accomplishes what? lives the rest of his life alone and unhappy to serve some greater purpose? why? when he dies he will simply cease to exist so why shouldn't he make the most of the life he has by spending it with the woman he loves so dearly? what does he owe to the rest of the world? serving some morality based on the idea that there is something/someone greater than ourselves? bah, simple-minded religious claptrap :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been drinking, but I'll try to answer at least the main point of this anyway. Peven, you don't seem to understand that Rick won't "make the most of his life by spending it with the woman he loves so dearly." Yes, he loves her that dearly. But if he doesn't do what he does at the end of Casablanca, he isn't Rick. He becomes a lesser being, a worm. Sure, a worm owes nothing to the rest of the world, but Rick realizes that he does, and that makes him human - makes him heroic. You may call this simple-minded religious claptrap, but it sounds like you wanted Casablanca to end with Rick drinking whiskey and eating chocolate ice cream forever and not giving a shit about anybody else. This doesn't have anything to do with religion. It has to do with adulthood. Those of us who are adults want Rick to make that sacrifice, and to understand that there is something greater than him, and to gain courage from that knowledge.

peven, it's really, really bizarre that you seem to think the only way someone can have "morality" or care about people other than themselves is by believing in god.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:39 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Peven wrote:life is about ups and downs, Kirk. and yes, after the "downs" there are almost always "ups" that follow. after one relationship ends another almost inevitably begins...eventually. and as we grow the relationships we have change, if for no other reason than the people we share those relationships with change, and hopefully we do, too. the relationships we build and experience as kids or in our teens are not the same as the ones we make in our 20's, and the ones we make in middle life are different still. i assume that the relationships made in later life have their own particular traits as well. we grow, we share, we fall, we get up, we change, hopefully we grow some more, we share again, and so on. in TS3 they experience this, and the relationship they will have with their new owner will not be just like the one they had with their first owner, she will not play with them the same way, will have different games, different habits, so it isn't as if the toys got the same life over again, they are simply continuing on a path from one experience to another, like we all are...

Yeah maybe, but I think that the finding of the new happens unrealistically fast, and apart form some rebound chicks in life, this isn't the reality. There are long periods of grief an darkness are they not after rejection?

And for some, they don't find replacements. And for most toys, they ARE just destroyed. I just think that the film makes it too easy and reassuring, like it's telling us that they will always be safety nets to catch us when we fall. It don't always happen. Sometimes, we fall, an we hit the ground. It hurts, or destroys us. It did me anyway. Still waiting to this day for someone to rescue me. Thanks a lot, Toy Story!

I think that the best lesson we should be taught form this movie (Seeing as movies all love to teach us characteristic development over most other things), is not to rely on others to save us, if they do or don't, we should be told inner strength, to accept, to deal, to move on. Or to accept even Death. As THAT'S gonna happen to all of us in reality, nothing is gonna stop that, I'm sure even Disney will agree.

come on, Kirks! let's get to the REAL problem with the toy story movies, ok? REAL toys don't talk! REAL toys don't move around on their own! how dare the toy story movies feature toys that do things that real toys can't! the whole toy story series should have just been a bunch of toys lying on the floor, doing nothing for an hour, until some kid walks in, plays with them for a few seconds, leaves, and then the movie ends with another hour of the toys lying on the floor doing nothing. now THAT would be reality!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:00 pm

It won't.

Harry "Neverland" Knowles wrote:WAAAAAH, Toy Story 3 sucks because no one should ever have to grow up, evar!!!!11

It seems like TS3, more than any other movie in recent memory, causes critics to project their own personal issues on to it.

Doesn't the fact that it obviously spoke to you on a deeply personal level mean something about its quality?
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:00 pm

tapehead wrote:Worst. Thread. Ever.

Nope
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Toy Story 3 would have been improved if time travel had been involved for some reason.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Toy Story 3 would have been improved if time travel had been involved for some reason.

Twelve Cymbal-Banging Monkeys?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:06 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Toy Story 3 would have been improved if time travel had been involved for some reason.

Twelve Cymbal-Banging Monkeys?

Buzz Lightyear could literally have come from the future into Andy's past, thus making the whole trilogy about a time paradox.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Animation