DC's YOUNG JUSTICE

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

DC's YOUNG JUSTICE

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 pm

DC has launched a new animated show on Cartoon Network called YOUNG JUSTICE. It shares its name with the Peter David comic book, but the similarities are not many from there. It does focus on Robin, Kid Flash, and Superboy with Red Tornado as an adult presence, however, this is set on Earth-16 so it is Wally West as Kid Flash and Dick Grayson as Robin. It also is not the BWHAHAHAHAHA-fest that the comic book was. Rounding the team are the new Aqualad and Miss Martian.

The first four episodes have been real good. The voice acting is very capable (Bruce Greenwood as Batman is AWESOME!) and the show seems extremely rooted in DC continuity. Word is the first season features 135 DC characters. So far we have seen Cadmus, Bane, Blockbuster, Mr. Twister (!!!! awesome nod there!), Speedy, Santa Prisca, Happy Harbor, and many more.

If you are looking to fill the void left by JLU, I would recommend checking this show out.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: DC's YOUNG JUSTICE

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am

I'll second all of the above.
Personally,I enjoyed Teen Titans,but I know many people didn't care for the anime influences that were present and may wonder if that's the case here as well.
I'd say you can put most of your concerns to rest as the show appears to be chibi-free.

*scowls in the direction of a long haired German who shall remain nameless*
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 am

From CBR:
Weisman & Vietti On The Age of "Young Justice"
Kiel Phegley wrote:When it comes to teen superheroes in general and DC Comics' classic sidekicks in particular, the rap that they mostly get saddled with is a reputation for ridiculous banter, frequent troubles with death traps and a generally sunny disposition. But the new animated series "Young Justice" is looking to dispel those notions with a black ops teen team armed with drama and determination.

Only four episodes in, and Cartoon Network's latest DC Entertainment adaptation has already piqued the interest of many comic fans thanks both to its close ties to the DC Comics Universe and its curveball twists to the expected order. The series takes place on Earth-16 -- an officially sanctioned reality of DC's multiverse canon -- and has already inspired some stories on the paper publishing side of the company including the introduction of a new Aqualad in "Brightest Day" based on the TV show's hero and a monthly "Young Justice" tie-in comic that hews closely to the shows expansive plotline. At the same time, viewers have had mystery after mystery thrown at them about the origins of some of the on screen teens, including Superboy and the new as-yet unseen on screen beyond the opening credits Artemis.

To get an inside look at how the show came together, CBR News spoke with series producers Greg Weisman ("Gargoyles," "The Spectacular Spider-Man") and Brandon Vietti ("Batman: The Brave & The Bold," "Under The Red Hood") for their take on what makes "Young Justice" stand apart from past DC animated series. Below, the pair riff on making Earth-16 a realistic backdrop for action stories, the mysteries and secrets inherent in the show's black ops high concept and the characters who will play the biggest role in the arc of the series-planned 26-episodes season.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 pm

The character designs and animation on this series are fantastic - really high-end stuff for a TV series. The first three episodes, though, left me so cold I was considering giving up on the show. Not much in the way of character development beyond annoying tropes, references to ancillary characters only hardcore DC readers would know, and no real sense of purpose for the team or the series itself.

The fourth episode, "Drop Zone," changed all that. The fights were well-staged, the characters are better differentiated, and it was great to see Bane portrayed as both powerful and intelligent. I was shocked how far they were able to push the character design of the monster, too - flesh tearing open to show the muscle underneath? On Cartoon Network? Wow.

Suffice it to say I'll keep watching, and I hope they throw in plenty of team-ups with the elder Justice League along the way.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Glad to see there are others watching (and enjoying!) this show.

Artemis is a bit of a mystery. I suppose her involvement will stem out of something to do with Speedy. But I haven't seen when or how that will take place discussed anywhere.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Have been loving this show from the start. It beats the Teen Titans anime inspired turd by a thousand light years. I'm still waiting for Arrowette(?) to make her appearance.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 am

Last weeks episode Schooled was very cool.
Flying Monkey Robots!
Nuff Said!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm

TheButcher wrote:Last weeks episode Schooled was very cool.
Flying Monkey Robots!
Nuff Said!

And the first hints at Artemis!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby SilentBobX on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Artemis? Is that her name? I thought it was Arrowette. Oh well.

BTW, Amazo looked awesome, like a vulcan bodybuilder.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Return to Animation