BEOWULF

Anime, cartoons and 3D. Animated shorts and features. And don't forget the animation genius in Bulgaria.

With 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, how would you rate Beowulf?

6%
16%
23%
13%
3%
3%
6%
3%
3%
No votes
I'm waiting for TV/DVD
3%
I'M! NOT! INTERESTED!
19%

Total votes : 31

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Yeah, sorry. It's obvious you never read the poem because it's full of lines like the ones you described. Plus the austinpowering of Beowulf was meant to be funny. Terrible review.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 pm

Nordling wrote:Plus the austinpowering of Beowulf was meant to be funny.

Yes, I'm sure Zemeckis was going for laughter during the whole dramatic fight scene.

Nordling wrote:Terrible review.

Likewise. I thought it was going to be good.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Fawst on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:18 pm

Wait, what am I missing? In the online trailer, they SHOWED Grendel bash through a door, lift up some dude, rip him in half and fling the halves away. No cuts. No gimmickry. What the fuck happened? Plus, wasn't there supposed to be a hard-R version of this? What gives? :(
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Fawst wrote:Wait, what am I missing? In the online trailer, they SHOWED Grendel bash through a door, lift up some dude, rip him in half and fling the halves away. No cuts. No gimmickry. What the fuck happened? Plus, wasn't there supposed to be a hard-R version of this? What gives? :(

Perhaps the trailer wasn't rated?
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm not going to try to sell you any more than I have. For me, it was a singular experience in the theater, topped with the best use of a dragon I've seen on film yet. I had a blast with this and I can't wait to see it a whole bunch of times. If you people want to dismiss it, that's your loss.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Nordling wrote:For me, it was a singular experience in the theater, topped with the best use of a dragon I've seen on film yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Personally, I thought the dragon in Dragonheart looked better. Actually, I'd say the dragon in Dragonslayer was better too, which is significant considering the dragon in Dragonslayer was done with Tippett's Go-Motion technique. Not as "digitally perfect" but much more awesome and threatening.

Nordling wrote:If you people want to dismiss it, that's your loss.

The only thing I feel I lost was my 2 hours and my 8 bucks.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:It's clear Zemeckis is in love with the technology, but I couldn't help but think that he probably realized halfway through the project that it was a bust but had no choice other than to soldier on and meet that release date.

This is sort of the vibe I got from reading reviews and interviews these past few months. Pre-screenings and stuff. No sayin it's bad. But if that's how you saw it then I totally get it.

Pretty interesting....even though your review is clearly catching the wrong kind of attention :)
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Pretty interesting....even though your review is clearly catching the wrong kind of attention :)

I knew when I was writing it that people would jump down my throat.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Pretty interesting....even though your review is clearly catching the wrong kind of attention :)

I knew when I was writing it that people would jump down my throat.

Different levels of expecation I guess. Sort of like, all this talent and great ideas combined with technology was bound to draw the lines in the sand.

Hey, whether it's good or bad we always have Back to the Future...haha!
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh, and just to give you another idea of how ridiculous it all is... when Angelina "appears" as Angelina and not some horrible serpent demon creature, she actually turns her feet into high heels.

HIGH HEELS!!

Her heels actually grow into these fleshly little stiletto heels so she can walk more "alluringly" I suppose. Talk about taking you out of the picture. Maybe Nordling can let us know if those were in the original poem too.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:37 pm

Or, you could leave me the fuck alone, douche.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Nordling wrote:Or, you could leave me the fuck alone, douche.

Hey man, you threw down the gauntlet with

just because I didn't like your precious little film.

Sod off.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:43 pm

i think i might go see this in a bit. i scrounged up $9.50 in change... lol
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:57 pm

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Cha-Ka Khan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:00 pm

If only Beowulf was as convincing as Shatner's toupee.
Cha-Ka Khan
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:11 pm

In fairness, Beowulf is showing a day-of score of 72% on the Tomatometer, so it's clear not everyone is loving it as much as Nordling and I did. And while most of the reviews have been running toward either "wow, this is an awesome experience" or "this is a soulless, confused mess," I don't think it's quite a love/hate movie. I'm sure lots of folks will end up liking it despite some strong reservations.

Anyway, I'm pumped to read some more Zoner reviews!
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:19 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Anyway, I'm pumped to read some more Zoner reviews!

And risk being called a "terrible review" from Nordling? no thanks... :wink:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:36 pm

so sorry wrote:
MasterWhedon wrote:Anyway, I'm pumped to read some more Zoner reviews!

And risk being called a "terrible review" from Nordling? no thanks... :wink:

MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Why always the fighting?
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Hehe I'm just glad I wasn't here when The Polar Express came out.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:51 pm

godzillasushi wrote:Hehe I'm just glad I wasn't here when The Polar Express came out.

why? are you saying you hated it or you liked it?!?! cuz if you liked that movie... :evil:

:lol: :wink: :D
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby godzillasushi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:54 pm

darkjedijaina wrote:
godzillasushi wrote:Hehe I'm just glad I wasn't here when The Polar Express came out.

why? are you saying you hated it or you liked it?!?! cuz if you liked that movie... :evil:

:lol: :wink: :D

Heh no it wasn't very good.

BUT! Since these movies have something in common, maybe someone did like Tom Hanks playing a robot. I sure wouldn't want to defend that one!

:D
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nordling on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:59 pm

I never got around to seeing POLAR EXPRESS.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:37 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:In fairness, Beowulf is showing a day-of score of 72% on the Tomatometer, so it's clear not everyone is loving it as much as Nordling and I did. And while most of the reviews have been running toward either "wow, this is an awesome experience" or "this is a soulless, confused mess," I don't think it's quite a love/hate movie. I'm sure lots of folks will end up liking it despite some strong reservations.

I've not seen Beowulf yet, but some of the contrasting views might be due to some seeing it in 3D and others not. I know I've seen 3D films which I thought were the greatest ever, but upon watching in normal formats have shown themselves to be utter rubbish.

It could be that it works in larger screen & stereoscopic formats (more than likely the movie was designed for just that purpose), but regular cinema screen viewers are being left cold.

(Just to note...I'm not suggesting that every person who've scored Beowulf high liked it because they were distracted by the bells & whistles...)
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Nordling wrote:Yeah, sorry. It's obvious you never read the poem because it's full of lines like the ones you described.

Actually, it isn't. What Chaka describes is the sort of thing you would hear at a SCA meet-up. The lines that make up Beowulf are poetic, with the right touch of bombast. Tolkien imitated it well, it's a pity Neil Gaiman thought he was better.

I still have absolutely no interest in seeing this. The trailers just make me laugh and not in a good way.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby bamf on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Beowulf has a story that is 5 years too late, and makes use of technology that is 20 years too early. The old English poem adapted for screen about a monster named Grendel that terrorizes freshmen high school students through mandatory reading assignments in our present day. I screened Beowulf at the illustrious Arclight in Hollywood as midnight fell. It was a packed house of film goers eager to place their 3D glasses on and wait for a spectacle, quietly wondering in the back of their minds if their equilibrium would hold up past the first act. The stereoscopic imagery is the best done to date, but does not a good film make.

3D is a gimmick. It's a visual way to play with the audience that works best as a 10 minute ride in a theme park. In my travels I have been an able to take in various types of this immersive experience. To give you an idea of what I have seen, The Star Trek experience in Las Vegas (Borg 4-D), Shrek 4-D and Terminator 3-D at Universal Studios, Superman Returns at an Imax here in southern California, and Archie comics with the ol red and blue specs respectively. Out of those the Borg 4D offering in Vegas was the best, Archie the worst only because they never quite captured Betty's endowments (but I have a penchant for blondes). When you take the 3D element out of Beowulf, you are left with mediocre CG characters that have been done better in the Shrek films, and a stylized war story that will forever be second to 300.

Beowulf, who has a feverish desire to remove his shirt like Matthew McConahey at a Hawaiian Tropics expo, should have been green lit as an R rated film. This is not a film for your children, 3D or otherwise. The opening sequence when Grendel eviscerates the great hall is the most violent ten minutes of film Zemeckis has ever done, and is how you wish the scene from Episode II when Anakin slaughters the Sandpeople would have been. The American rating system is completely backwards and reform is paramount today. Beowulf chooses to fight Grendel in the nude, as that is how the monster will face him. This makes sense in service to the story as it adds a bit of honor to Beowulf's quest. But what you get from this need to hide the title character's Johnson is a sequence that mirrors the end of the first Austin Powers movie, with candle sticks, odd mist, and a half-off frame character's arm blocking the package. Now I'm in no way advocating more penis' in American cinema, in fact after seeing Frank Langellas member the other day in the pretentious Starting Out in the Evening, I have had my fill (and frankly for a 3D film I expect far more cleavage shots, and I don't care about Angelina, each film she does she comes closer to resembling the Queen from Aliens). A battle scene is not prurient in nature. If the big B was engaged in sexual activity I would understand not showing the jumblies, but this is not the case. Since we have a scene full of violence that cannot show full frontal nudity of a computer generated male then my guess is the raters associate violence with sex, and what a commentary on our current system of rating that is. You can get an R rating for a character that lights up a Smokey Thingie, but men being ripped in half and beaten with their own limbs…send it to the kids!

The term "spectacle" will be associated with Beowulf for some time, and if you have the availability I do encourage you to see it in 3D so you can understand why one could live without it. It is a film that will play like a 5 second fuse in your head, rather than a 78 hour candle long after you have turned your glasses back in. Here is what the studios that finance this sort of tech, and the directors that push it need to understand. A gimmick will not bring the box office numbers up. The public does not want immersive entertainment; they want stories that are immersive in content. I think James Cameron gets this but he himself is a big pusher for 3D. Titanic would not have made the impact that it did if it was just another A Night to Remember with a big boat sinking at the end. Perhaps I am all wrong on this. This may be the division of my age from youth like the baby boomer who doesn't understand why one would want to watch TV shows on a computer. When I am proven wrong, is when good writers are appropriately paid, and the immersive experience no longer requires any sort of extra appendage during, or aspirin after.

In closing, Beowulf will burn bright like iron ferrite, then slip away into a footnote of cinema like the camp attempts at 3D in the 50's-60's era. The story was already outdone years before by the likes of Jackson and his vision of Lord of the Rings and more recently, as well as more comparatively Snyder's 300. Tough I will say the story of Beowulf will see a resurgence of glory in renaissance fairs all over greater Vermont, but otherwise, who cares?

*edited for a grammatical clean up
Last edited by bamf on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:53 pm

Cha-Ka Khan wrote:

Think now - glorious kinsman of Zone,
wise chieftain, now I, gold-friend of man,
am eager for adventure - what we spoke of earlier:

Ne'er again shall you review a film,
without first Old English learnt.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:07 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cha-Ka Khan wrote:

See, FG, why doesn't Neil Gaiman?

You're turning me on here, FG, stop! ;)
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Hey Nordling, between this comment:

Nordling wrote:Yeah, sorry. It's obvious you never read the poem because it's full of lines like the ones you described. Plus the austinpowering of Beowulf was meant to be funny. Terrible review.

and this comment:

I feel like I need to remind the thread...once again...that the golden rule in here is "No hate just debate". Not everyone is gonna agree with you. Not everyone has your tastes. Get over it and take the opportunity to debate someone if you feel passionately about something instead of a dismissive "terrible review" or "it's obvious you haven't read the poem".

Cha-Ka has proven that he has some chops in here and he deserves better treatment than that.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:55 pm

So we gotta the 2 positive reviews anna 2 negatives, eh? Come on Zoners... post uppa your opinions, you putzes!

I wanna to know iffa I can a call uppa the Zemeckis anna gloat, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Peven on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:57 pm

i was going to put up a review after i see it tomorrow, but now i am afraid if i like it and say so i'll lose street cred with LS. :wink:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Peven wrote:i was going to put up a review after i see it tomorrow, but now i am afraid if i like it and say so i'll lose street cred with LS. :wink:

Do you HAVE any street cred with LS?

Do I?

Do any of us?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:04 pm

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:i was going to put up a review after i see it tomorrow, but now i am afraid if i like it and say so i'll lose street cred with LS. :wink:

Do I?

Do any of us?

No. none of us do. Except, perhaps, for this guy
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:25 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
Cha-Ka Khan wrote:

See, FG, why doesn't Neil Gaiman?

You're turning me on here, FG, stop! ;)

Sod Beowolf - lets explore this further.......

Don't look at me like that - it's Friday night.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:29 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Hey Nordling, between this comment:

Nordling wrote:Yeah, sorry. It's obvious you never read the poem because it's full of lines like the ones you described. Plus the austinpowering of Beowulf was meant to be funny. Terrible review.

and this comment:

I feel like I need to remind the thread...once again...that the golden rule in here is "No hate just debate". Not everyone is gonna agree with you. Not everyone has your tastes. Get over it and take the opportunity to debate someone if you feel passionately about something instead of a dismissive "terrible review" or "it's obvious you haven't read the poem".

Cha-Ka has proven that he has some chops in here and he deserves better treatment than that.

Indeed.
There's no need to wipe your ass with someone whose opinion you disagree with. I thought we were trying not to act like the TBs in here.
The spectre of Winslow Leach hovers before my eyes, like gas from a mammoth's butt cheeks......
The Vicar

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Tis true,
I recall that time, where we partook of mead,
when we promised to our geek brethren
in the beer-hall, they who gave us rings,
that we for our Zone wished to repay,
if for such a moments arise,
with reviews and opinion.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Tis true,
I recall that time, where we partook of mead,
when we promised to our geek brethren
in the beer-hall, they who gave us rings,
that we for our Zone wished to repay,
if for such a moments arise,
with reviews and opinion.

well, someone started early.......... :wink:
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:50 pm

The Vicar wrote:The spectre of Winslow Leach hovers before my eyes, like gas from a mammoth's butt cheeks......

Whoever smelteth.... doth dealt it.
:D
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:34 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Do I?

Do any of us?

Now now, you ALL have street cred with me.

It's just that some men have bigger street cred than others.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Do I?

Do any of us?

Now now, you ALL have street cred with me.

It's just that some men have bigger street cred than others.

:shock:
The Vicar

Postby darkjedijaina on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:37 pm

haha, nice one, LS.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby minstrel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Fortunately for me, I don't carry my street cred in my pants.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:48 pm

minstrel wrote:Fortunately for me, I don't carry my street cred in my pants.

So, it's in a jar, is it?
I saw something like that at a sideshow one time - spewed my cotton candy all over my shirt.
They can reattach it, you know.....
The Vicar

Postby Loincloth Butler on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I didn't enjoy the movie at all.
Loincloth Butler
GLIB

Postby bamf on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:27 pm

Loincloth Butler wrote:I didn't enjoy the movie at all.

3D or flatty? We must know.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby The Vicar on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:28 pm

bamf wrote:

3D or flatty? We must know.

That's a rather personal question, wouldn't you say?
The Vicar

Postby Fievel on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Did your abs?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby junesquad on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:31 am

Do you care to share with us why you did not enjoy the movie?
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:57 am

Oh, darling, you don't need to work to impress me. You have plenty of...credibility.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:01 am

I love Neil Gaiman. I lost all interest in this project when I learned Avary and Zemeckis were attached and I shat a brick when I saw that Grendel's mother cleverly assumes the form of Angelina Jolie - precisely Angelina Jolie.

The pro and con reviews both interested me, but tech never makes a movie better than its script and performances.
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

PreviousNext

Return to Animation