Batman v. Superman: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! (seriously)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Batman v. Superman: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! (seriously)

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:42 am

TheButcher wrote:Variety MAY 21, 2016:
Jungle Book is set to join Zootopia in passing Batman v. Superman at U.S. box office.

Deadline:
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote: Who the heck ever had the foresight to predict that the Jon Favreau movie would be putting up double digit weekends at this point in time? Jungle Book is poised to make $11.3M this weekend in fourth place, taking its stateside cume to $327.8M, becoming the highest grossing Favreau-directed movie of all-time at the domestic B.O., drowning his previous high, Marvel’s Iron Man ($318.4M).

Iron Man only made $318.4m??? what a flop. eh? oh right, different rules for Marvel......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 pm

I think if someone didn't really like the cinematic edition, they're probably not going to be swayed by the "Ultimate Edition".

However, it does elucidate the game that Lex Luthor is playing which is worthwhile and makes he appear more powerful. Showing Clark Kent's journalistic investigation into Batman is interesting, but it begs the question: Why doesn't he just be Superman and find that stuff out?

It does feel noticably long though and a bit unbalanced. I actually thought it'd work well as three hour-long parts.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:18 pm

‘Batman v Superman’: Theatrical Cut v Extended Cut – New Scenes Revealed in Detail
Jon Stewart makes an appearance!*

*The Daily Show host, not the Green Lantern.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think if someone didn't really like the cinematic edition, they're probably not going to be swayed by the "Ultimate Edition".

However, it does elucidate the game that Lex Luthor is playing which is worthwhile and makes he appear more powerful. Showing Clark Kent's journalistic investigation into Batman is interesting, but it begs the question: Why doesn't he just be Superman and find that stuff out?

It does feel noticably long though and a bit unbalanced. I actually thought it'd work well as three hour-long parts.

Fundamentally the movie is unchanged, so a lot of its problems (and merits) are still there, most notably Lex Luthor, who Jesse Eisenberg insisted was ruined due to editing but is exactly the same, as far as I can tell.

Still I would say there are enough aggregate small improvements to make me like Dawn of Justice significantly better overall. The character of Superman is helped tremendously; he gets extra scenes with Lois, with his mom, is shown trying to save people after the Capitol bombing instead of moping and flying away, and doing journalistic legwork into the Batman problem in Gotham. Like you say, some of this stuff he could have more easily accomplished as Superman rather than Clark, but they're humanizing moments that keep him from getting lost in his own movie all the same. I also like it when it feels like the narrative has some room to breathe, rather than cutting out everything but the bare minimum needed to understand the story.

So yeah, I would say that the "Ultimate Edition" is a big improvement.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:53 am

Ribbons wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I think if someone didn't really like the cinematic edition, they're probably not going to be swayed by the "Ultimate Edition".

Fundamentally the movie is unchanged, so a lot of its problems (and merits) are still there, most notably Lex Luthor, who Jesse Eisenberg insisted was ruined due to editing but is exactly the same, as far as I can tell.

Still I would say there are enough aggregate small improvements to make me like Dawn of Justice significantly better overall. The character of Superman is helped tremendously; he gets extra scenes with Lois, with his mom, is shown trying to save people after the Capitol bombing instead of moping and flying away, and doing journalistic legwork into the Batman problem in Gotham. Like you say, some of this stuff he could have more easily accomplished as Superman rather than Clark, but they're humanizing moments that keep him from getting lost in his own movie all the same. I also like it when it feels like the narrative has some room to breathe, rather than cutting out everything but the bare minimum needed to understand the story.

ok, sounds like we had a couple of the same issues with the theatrical release. Lex is a blight on the movie and if that is Eisenberg's "interpretation" of the character then the fail is squarely on his shoulders, but then who out there thought that Eisenberg has anything remotely close to the kind of talent that a guy like Ledger had in reinventing an iconic villain? right. so maybe the blame isn't all his own shoulders because Snyder should have known better. for me the biggest fail of the movie. the other thing was the feeling of things being rushed, despite the long running time, with the editing leaving one feeling like there were parts of the story we were missing out on. I will definitely have to check this out, though I will be mocking Eisenberg the entire time he is on screen :-P they may as well have cast Scott fucking Pilgrim :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 am

Ribbons wrote: Fundamentally the movie is unchanged, so a lot of its problems (and merits) are still there, most notably Lex Luthor, who Jesse Eisenberg insisted was ruined due to editing but is exactly the same, as far as I can tell.

Valid points. I forgot about the additional Capitol scenes which, you're right, do flesh out Superman far more.

You can somewhat see Eisenberg's point about editing changing his plot arc. In the cinema version, he's in the background a lot of time acting "insane". In the Ultimate Edition, I thought his influence is seen and felt much more. As everyone else, I'm not convinced he was right for the role (although that could be because I'm used to the Clancy Brown animated Luthor, which tends to be the voice in my head when reading the comics too).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Fried Gold wrote:You can somewhat see Eisenberg's point about editing changing his plot arc. In the cinema version, he's in the background a lot of time acting "insane". In the Ultimate Edition, I thought his influence is seen and felt much more.

One of the things I wasn't clear on -- did he pay people to murder every prisoner with the Bat-brand, or just the one in Metropolis?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:You can somewhat see Eisenberg's point about editing changing his plot arc. In the cinema version, he's in the background a lot of time acting "insane". In the Ultimate Edition, I thought his influence is seen and felt much more.

One of the things I wasn't clear on -- did he pay people to murder every prisoner with the Bat-brand, or just the one in Metropolis?

I'm not clear on the precise point of the branding (just to enhance the mythical threat of the Batman?), or why those who were branded became targets in prison ("He got beaten up by a vigilante, get him!!").
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:13 pm

My assumption when I first saw the movie was that Batman only branded criminals that committed sex crimes -- like trafficking, rape, etc. -- who traditionally do not fare well in prison. It's the only explanation that really makes sense to me because I don't know why some random prisoner would want to kill you just because you got caught by Batman. But, I'm also not 100% sure.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 pm

That makes sense.

Except that it seemed as though Batman was nestled deep within his investigation to find the "White Portugeuse". We're led to assume that the people we see him branding take place during his attempts to interrogate them. Alfred even makes reference to this - something like "The Batman didn't find this stuff out via beatings, Bruce Wayne did it".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Alfred even makes reference to this - something like "The Batman didn't find this stuff out via beatings, Bruce Wayne did it".

That was a great line! Jeremy Irons was a great Alfred - a role that I believe has never been miscast nor has it been poorly performed.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Alfred was definitely the best thing about BvS
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 am

Fievel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Alfred even makes reference to this - something like "The Batman didn't find this stuff out via beatings, Bruce Wayne did it".

That was a great line! Jeremy Irons was a great Alfred - a role that I believe has never been miscast nor has it been poorly performed.

Agree. I re-watched TDK trilogy and loved Michael Caine as Alfred. Irons was really great in this role but would like to see the more sympathetic side of Iron's portrayal of Alfred before I make a final decision on who's the best.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:31 am

Honest Trailers - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:27 am

Batman v Superman and Man of Steel: Metropolis Scene comparisons (HD).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:50 pm

good shit. i liked the movie but I would have liked it more if the rest of the movie was as good as the opening was

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:37 am

THR's Producer of the Year: Charles Roven on the Future of DC Films and What Really Happened Between George Clooney and David O. RussellTHR's Producer of the Year: Charles Roven on the Future of DC Films and What Really Happened Between George Clooney and David O. Russell
The Hollywood slugger with $2B in 2016 box office (including 'Batman v. Superman' and 'Suicide Squad') and the upcoming 'Wonder Woman,' shares what he's learned throughout his successful career where he witnessed Richard Pryor behave (very) badly in church and fired an actor for repeatedly shouting "cut" on a set: "Your goal is to make the movie better until the very last moment, until you're out of money."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:12 am

Why Superman Is A Terrible Character: Fixing BvS

DC Films' Character Problem
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman v. Superman: MARTHA!!! (seriously)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:05 am

Batman v. Superman v. Hillary At The 37th Annual Razzie Awards
Jude Terror wrote:Proving once again that Warner Bros can’t seem to do anything right with their superhero movie universe, even when it comes to doing everything wrong, Batman v. Superman has once again failed to live up to expectations. First, the movie failed to secure nominations in every category of the 2017 Razzie Awards. And then, to make matters worse, it didn’t even win the most Razzies, tying Hillary’s America with just four awards each. What a disappointment!

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice earned awards for Jesse Eisenberg as Worst Supporting Actor, “Ben Affleck & His BFF (Baddest Foe Forever) Henry Cavill” for Worst Screen Combo, and as a whole in the categories of Worst Remake, Rip-Off, Or Sequel and Worst Screenplay. Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party, on the other hand, not only took the top spot of Worst Picture, but also earned the prestigious insults of Worst Actress for Becky Turner, Worst Actor for Dinesh D’Souza, and Worst Director for D’Souza and Bruce Schooley.

In the one remaining category, Worst Supporting Actress, Kristin Wiig won for her work on Zoolander 2 while Mel Gibson won the Razzie Redeemer Award.

Twitter:
Follow the journey and saga of the "Visionary" who made all this happen. #ZackSnyder
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 am

/film:
Hans Zimmer Gave Up Scoring ‘Batman’ Movies Because Of Zack Snyder’s Version Of The Dark Knight
“It just did my brain in to have written Christian Bale as Batman, and suddenly it’s Ben Affleck,” Zimmer told Inverse while promoting his Master Class. “And it felt like I was betraying everything Christian had done. So there’s a certain amount of loyalty attached to those movies, as well.”

I spent months trying to come up with something for Ben. The Batman that I know and the one I learned is the one that Christian did, and Ben plays it differently. And I can’t quite shake that off. For me, the Christian Bale character was always completely unresolved. It was always about that moment at the beginning of the first movie, where he sees his parents getting killed. It was basically arrested development. The Ben character is more middle-aged, he seems to be grumpy as hell but I didn’t feel the pain that I felt in Christian’s performance. And it was that pain that made me interested.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:31 am

That's something that can happen when any character transitions to a new actor. They are different people so they'll have different approaches. "He just doesn't play it like the last guy" will always be a common complaint.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:36 am

ComicBookDebate:
A year ago today, Batman v Superman arrived. One of the most powerful & poignant comic book films ever made, BvS has had a huge impact on me

PiScEs27‏ @Josh2Gud4U
MAN FUCK WHAT EVERYONE ELSE SAYS!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS MOMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion