GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 am

James Gunn Updates 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Status
The screenplay? Done! The title? Surprisingly secret...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 pm

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/03/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-script-brought-tears-to-chris-prat/

Chris Pratt on the new script for Guardians 2. Obviously he's not going to say "it sucks" but he seems pretty excited about the plans for the new film, and according to him Marvel is too.

Anticipation building already.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby so sorry on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:http://comicbook.com/2015/06/03/the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-script-brought-tears-to-chris-prat/

Chris Pratt on the new script for Guardians 2. Obviously he's not going to say "it sucks" but he seems pretty excited about the plans for the new film, and according to him Marvel is too.

Anticipation building already.

How could they possibly NOT be excited for the next film? It only made 2 Quadrillion dollars, made Pratt a Holywood A lister, and proved Peven's predictions were dead on.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 pm

I think that last part is the most important
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:I think that last part is the most important

And me dead wrong. I predicted the first Marvel bust.

You were right, Peven. I was wrong*.

*about this only. About everything else I've ever disagreed with you on I've been right and you've been a lunatic.

:twisted:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I think that last part is the most important

And me dead wrong. I predicted the first Marvel bust.

You were right, Peven. I was wrong*.

*about this only. About everything else I've ever disagreed with you on I've been right and you've been a lunatic.

:twisted:

I'll take it :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Chris Pratt Weighs In On GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 Possibly Adapting PLANET HULK
"I'd love the chance to work with Mark Ruffalo. He's a terrific actor."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:30 am

The title of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has been revealed: Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (like Awesome Mix Tape, Vol. 1)

http://collider.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-title-revealed/

Not much to glean from this, except that we can probably expect some more sweet, sweet tunes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Interesting new for GotG 2.

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/01/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-red-weapon-8k-full-frame-vista-vision-camera

GLORIOUS 8 frickin' K!!!!!

That's a ridiculous amount of pixels, let alone the rendertime it's going to take.

Edited for peer pressure.
Last edited by papalazeru on Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 am

papalazeru wrote:Interesting new for GotG 2.

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/01/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-red-weapon-8k-full-frame-vista-vision-camera

8 frickin' K!!!!!

That's a ridiculous amount of pixels, let alone the rendertime it's going to take.

FYI - You're only allowed to get excited about certain film stocks being used, not digital sensors. Otherwise you're not a cool kid.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:24 am

But if he calls it GLORIOUS 8 frickin' K, then all is forgiven.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Can the human eye even tell the difference between 4K and 8K? Asking for a friend...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:Can the human eye even tell the difference between 4K and 8K? Asking for a friend...

With 8K, if you put your face right up to the screen you shouldn't be able to see any pixels. It should effectively be like observing a field of view with your own eyes.

At normal, comfortable viewing distances...I would doubt you'd notice the difference.

Arguably, unless it's being projected on a large screen, I would think most people probably wouldn't notice the difference between 1080p and 4K unless it was pointed out to them.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:28 am

Here's the big difference I noticed when I watch a "regular" movie vs an IMax "super" movie: the price.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Maui on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:10 am

so sorry wrote:Here's the big difference I noticed when I watch a "regular" movie vs an IMax "super" movie: the price.

The difference for me with regular vs IMAX viewing (putting aside the technology) is that the audience is less irritating - at least at the Bayer's Lake IMAX theatre, Row G, in Halifax, NS. :D
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:26 pm

so sorry wrote:Here's the big difference I noticed when I watch a "regular" movie vs an IMax "super" movie: the price.

A cinema chain in the UK was doing the following with Star Wars 7:

- 3D showings on large screens
- 2D showings on smaller screens
- Showing the 2D version on larger screens, calling it "2D Extreme" and charging more money.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:59 pm

I'd rather see a HFS then a higher resolution personally. 4K HFR is a beautiful thing (even if it's just make Dwarves look like they are on a studio set).

This is the thing, they'll shoot at 8K but I'm guessing the digital frame sizing will reduce the movie to closer to 4K, so why not just frame up properly and save yourself the added expense?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:36 am

Took me two tries to get thru the first movie...looks like more of the same.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm

more awesome

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:21 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 pm

sweet

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Meh
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 am

'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Scores Extremely Rare 100 in Test Screening (Exclusive)
The Marvel film, set for a May 5 release, has bested previous crowdpleasers 'Iron Man 3' and 'Avengers' in its own internal metrics.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:02 am

Bah! That means nothing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:31 am

...on the other hand, this looks pretty awesome:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:29 pm

"pretty awesome" is an understatement :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

the movie was GREAT

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm

It was alright, but not great.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Tue May 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It was alright, but not great.

ppphhhhttt!!! best Marvel movie yet

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm actually with Fried Gold on this one. It had a ton of moments I really liked, but also a ton I really didn't like. So it balances out as okay.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed May 10, 2017 7:53 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm actually with Fried Gold on this one. It had a ton of moments I really liked, but also a ton I really didn't like. So it balances out as okay.

are you like the 15 year old kid in school who told me it was too "jokey" for him? :-P

honestly, I can understand if the mixing of tone throws some people, but I am a big fan of it in movies, because that is how life is, it isn't all comedy or drama or action,etc it's a mix and imo Guardians mixes it up superbly.

for example, i mean, come on, if you didn't enjoy the Pac-Man moment in the big finale battle it just means you lack the ability to experience true joy, don't blame the movie :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 11, 2017 12:09 pm

The humor was what I liked, for the most part, although some of it felt forced (see: the conversation about turds). It was the heavy stuff that got on my nerves, or at least the way that it was executed. There were way too many shouting matches for my taste, or expository info-dumps where characters would explain exactly how they feel in page-long soliloquies. I can respect what James Gunn was trying to do, but I don't think it all worked. That said, there were a lot of sequences set to Star-Lord's Awesome Mix that were really impressive, like Baby Groot dancing to "Mr. Blue Sky" and Yondu/Rocket's prison break, and I thought the ending was lovely. I just wish I liked the whole film instead of just parts of it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Ribbons wrote:The humor was what I liked, for the most part, although some of it felt forced (see: the conversation about turds). It was the heavy stuff that got on my nerves, or at least the way that it was executed. There were way too many shouting matches for my taste, or expository info-dumps where characters would explain exactly how they feel in page-long soliloquies. I can respect what James Gunn was trying to do, but I don't think it all worked. That said, there were a lot of sequences set to Star-Lord's Awesome Mix that were really impressive, like Baby Groot dancing to "Mr. Blue Sky" and Yondu/Rocket's prison break, and I thought the ending was lovely. I just wish I liked the whole film instead of just parts of it.

I guess I see what you're saying, and I think the momentum of the good parts carried me through the expository bits where they took their foot off the gas a bit so that I never felt bored or anxious to get through a scene. it helps that it was a gorgeous movie with a color palate that was eye-popping. but then I also realize that due to my age there is nostalgia at work with the colors and style and music that helps hold the whole thing together for me that may not as well for people who were born a decade or two after the time the opening scene of the movie is set, whereas I was about 7 yrs old at that time and can remember hearing Brandy on the radio when it was first released. I also admit that when a movie is really working for me on that intangible emotional level I become more forgiving of little flaws here and there and Guardians really clicks for me

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 14, 2017 2:50 am

Kevin Feige on ‘Guardians 2′, the Spider-Man Deal, and ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ and Beyond
Warning: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 spoilers are discussed in this interview.

‘King Arthur’ Can’t Squeeze B.O. From A Stone With $14.3M+ Opening; ‘Guardians’ Rules With Near $62M+, ‘Snatched’ $16M+
Anthony D'Alessandro wrote:Saturday AM update, with chart: It never helps following a huge Marvel movie at the start of summer, and if anyone is interested in getting off their couch and heading to the movies this weekend, the only film they want to see is the comic book label’s Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2. The sequel is is currently set to earn $61.9 million in its second weekend at 4,347 locations, a 58% drop over its opening frame.

Box office history proves this: This is the ninth time in 11 years a Marvel movie has owned the second weekend of May, and if you’re a studio, you either counterprogram that — which 20th Century Fox/Chernin Entertainment did this weekend with its Mothers Day destination Snatched, poised to make $16.5M at 3,501 theaters in second place — or, well, you dump your goods.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 vs STAR TREK 5

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 14, 2017 8:28 am

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sun May 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Ribbons wrote:The humor was what I liked, for the most part, although some of it felt forced (see: the conversation about turds). It was the heavy stuff that got on my nerves, or at least the way that it was executed. There were way too many shouting matches for my taste, or expository info-dumps where characters would explain exactly how they feel in page-long soliloquies. I can respect what James Gunn was trying to do, but I don't think it all worked. That said, there were a lot of sequences set to Star-Lord's Awesome Mix that were really impressive, like Baby Groot dancing to "Mr. Blue Sky" and Yondu/Rocket's prison break, and I thought the ending was lovely. I just wish I liked the whole film instead of just parts of it.

Indeed.

I felt that some of it seemed a bit forced, as if there was a checklist of things that needed to be included because liked them in the first movie.

The inclusion of "The Chain" in the soundtrack wasn't really used to its full potential either.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon May 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Peven wrote:I also realize that due to my age there is nostalgia at work with the colors and style and music that helps hold the whole thing together for me that may not as well for people who were born a decade or two after the time the opening scene of the movie is set, whereas I was about 7 yrs old at that time and can remember hearing Brandy on the radio when it was first released. I also admit that when a movie is really working for me on that intangible emotional level I become more forgiving of little flaws here and there and Guardians really clicks for me

I'll admit, I did not come of age in the late '70s/early '80s, so the impact of some of Guardians' pop-culture nods are lost on me. But I get that it's part of their appeal, and I do try to be sensitive to that. One of the touches I liked was the video arcade aspect of the Sovereign's simulated fleet, complete with the little sound effects and the "You suck!" at the end. And in that moment I felt like I "got" what Gunn brings to this franchise that's so unique, even if I don't feel that way all the time.

As for Brandy, well, there's at least one other person who dug the reference:

'Brandy' Songwriter on How 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Finally Gave His Hit a Deeper Meaning
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 3

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:47 am

Box Office Mojo:
Production Budget: $200 million
In Release: 28 days / 4 weeks
Domestic Total as of Jun. 1, 2017: $345,741,332
Foreign: $454,700,000
Worldwide: $800,441,332

James Gunn Preps Guardians of the Galaxy 3
James Gunn is set to bring Adam Warlock into the MCU in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and is doing his research ahead of time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Maui on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm a bit lost on the appeal of these movies. Oh, yeah...the soundtrack. :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Return to Movie Discussion