The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower Lives!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

'Dark Tower' Director Never Thought the Movie Would Get Made
Nikolaj Arcel is finally bringing the "completely unadaptable" Stephen King series of novels to the big screen.
Aaron Couch wrote:There may be no Dark Tower fan more invested in seeing its story on the big screen than director Nikolaj Arcel. Over the years, he's followed all the twists and turns of its decade-long journey that saw filmmakers and studios come and go.

"I always felt like it's not going to happen. No one's ever going to adapt it, because it's completely unadaptable. It's a crazy, sprawling, genre-hopping saga," says Arcel.

In the end, he credits a streamlined take from screenwriter Akiva Goldsman that made him see how the movie could be done. Rather than attempting to digest the massive multiverse Stephen King created through eight novels, the film tells a (relatively) simple story, largely drawn from the first novel, The Gunslinger, that pits Roland (Idris Elba) and Jake (Tom Taylor) against the Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey).

"It's borrowing some stuff from some of the other novels, but it's definitely just the beginning of a longer journey, of a longer saga," says Arcel of the film, which studio Sony hopes will spawn sequels and already has plans for a TV series.

The $60 million film is actually a sequel to King's novels (if you've read the books, you know why), and in a conversation with Heat Vision, Arcel weighs in on the future of the franchise and why King is the only one who can dictate how the movie saga will end.

THE WALKING DEAD’s Glen Mazzara Will Showrun The DARK TOWER TV Series
In which that TV show that's definitely still happening gets a showrunner.
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:As you've almost certainly heard by now, the news regarding Sony's The Dark Tower adaptation is not good. After over a year's worth of production woes and what's turning out to be a fairly venomous response from critics (the film's currently sitting at an oof-inducing 21% on Rotten Tomatoes), things are not looking good for Sony's would-be franchise. So much so, in fact, that it wouldn't seem crazy to think that the studio's long-in-development Dark Tower TV series is all but guaranteed to be quietly dropped and never spoken of again.

And yet...
"As the long-awaited feature film take on The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step."

That's The Hollywood Reporter insisting that, not only is the Dark Tower TV series not dead, but that it's also hired The Walking Dead's Glen Mazzara to be the series' showrunner. This is the same Dark Tower series which will allegedly be based on Wizard And Glass, and serve as a prequel to the film franchise. THR goes on to say that no network is yet attached to the production, but that cable networks and streaming services are being eyed for the job.

Will the Dark Tower TV show actually happen? It's honestly difficult to imagine, but I suppose it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Of course, this is what should've been done with the property in the first place (something I took pains to mention in my review of the film), and with that being the case one can't help but feel a faint glimmer of hope that someone might actually do it right this time. But given how poisonous the reaction to the film's been, this writer finds it difficult to imagine the studio shelling out the money for 10-13 more hours' worth of Dark Tower content at this time.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:Word is trickling in, and it's pretty "meh":

Variety:
Here’s what I saw. “The Dark Tower” has been plagued by tales of last-minute re-editing and multiple cooks in the kitchen, but the movie that’s come out of all this is no shambles. It aims low and hits (sort of). It’s a competent and watchable paranoid metaphysical video game that doesn’t overstay its welcome, includes some luridly entertaining visual effects, and — it has to be said — summons an emotional impact of close to zero.

well, that's exactly what any fan of the DT series would hope for from this film, isn't it?

seriously, like i said before, the best thing that can happen is for this thing to tank at the box office, and for this property to go away for a decade or so until somebody can make a REAL adaptation.

and anything positive King himself has to say about this film is motivated by either senility or his wallet. he'll be like akroyd with the GB reboot, talking about how great it is until it becomes clear it's a franchise-killing financial failure, and then he'll turn on it and trash the film and it's makers just like akroyd did.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Christe, TheButcher, stop killing any conversation we can now legitimately have about this film by halting on your link posting that we already know about! I swear you're just a spambot here sometimes. And now our previous posts that were gearing towards a back and forth talk are now regulated to the previous page.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 pm

Currently at 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Ka.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Currently at 19% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Ka.

Eddie Dean wrote:Ka-ka!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:46 pm

So has any of us actually seen this yet? It isn't playing at my theater (and I'm not sure it will) but I'm curious what my fellow Zoners and resident Tower junkies think.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 pm

I won't be seeing this at the theater.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Oh come on, don't wuss out at the last most important stage. Just SEE it. For a laugh at least.

I will be trying to get some London Zoners together to see it. At least we'll have some shoulders to laug... cry on.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Fievel wrote:I won't be seeing this at the theater.

I remember when you were the optimist on this thread!
caruso_stalker217

Re: The Dark Tower (Now w/ Trilogy... *and* TV Show?)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:03 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:This may be a bit premature, but I predict this project will be a shitty goatfuck of a limp-dick failure.

And you can quote me on it.

December 22, 2010
caruso_stalker217

Re: The Dark Tower (Now w/ Trilogy... *and* TV Show?)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:33 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Doesn't matter who they cast. This will be watered-down PG-13 dog shit. We will not get Roland in the books. Roland who will gun down a woman being used as a human shield and then proceed to massacre an entire town of men, women and children. We will not get the guy who lets a young boy plummet to his death so he can continue his quest.

This is not a worthy adversary.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 am

i'm not that big of a Dark Tower fan, i read the whole series once, it started off well but went off the rails sometime after wizard and glass. i'd love to see a genuine adaptation of the material, one that builds on the strengths of the series while avoiding some of the later pitfalls. but that's not what this film is. i'm not sure WHAT this film is. all i know is, it's not the Dark Tower.

i have no intention of seeing this. definitely not paying to see it. maybe if it comes on HBO in a year and i'm really bored, i might hate-watch it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 am

TheBaxter wrote: that's not what this film is. i'm not sure WHAT this film is. all i know is, it's not the Dark Tower.

i have no intention of seeing this..

So, you haven't seen this film yet but still you talk like you know what this film is and isn't? You can't be THAT sure, even based on what you have seen and read of it. You may be surprised, it may be closer to the novels than what you are now believing, or a satisfying version of it.

You can't judge something until you have seen it, or state such a definite well believed opinion on something that you haven't watched yet.

You have no right in saying this, even if your statements do turn out to be true if you watch it.

What you have said is one of the great No Nos in film conversation.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: that's not what this film is. i'm not sure WHAT this film is. all i know is, it's not the Dark Tower.

So, you haven't seen this film yet but still you talk like you know what this film is and isn't? You can't be THAT sure, even based on what you have seen and read of it. You may be surprised, it may be closer to the novels than what you are now believing, or a satisfying version of it.

You can't judge something until you have seen it, or state such a definite well believed opinion on something that you haven't watched yet.

You have no right in saying this, even if your statements do turn out to be true if you watch it.

When did you become the optimist here? Who are you?

WHO ARE YOU???
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

everything i've read, everything i've seen in ads and trailers so far, the running time, hell even the choice of characters who are (or aren't) in the film, are enough to decide this is not the Dark Tower adaptation i was looking for.

if it turns out that this film really is a faithful and competent adaptation of the series, then the blame for my not watching lies with their marketing department. not a single bit of marketing for this film yet has looked appealing, even as just a regular movie, let alone like a true-to-the-material adaptation. over the years, i've been fooled by the occasional trailer that made a movie look better than it was, but rarely do they manage to make the movie look worse than it is. if you can't find 30 seconds or 2 minutes worth of quality material to pull out of the film to help sell it, then it's highly unlikely the other 93 minutes of the film are going to be any better.

i have a life. i have lots of better things i can do with those 90+ minutes of my life than take a chance on wasting them on a movie that, from everything i've been shown so far, looks like utter shit.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:59 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

everything i've read, everything i've seen in ads and trailers so far, the running time, hell even the choice of characters who are (or aren't) in the film, are enough to decide this is not the Dark Tower adaptation i was looking for.

if it turns out that this film really is a faithful and competent adaptation of the series, then the blame for my not watching lies with their marketing department. not a single bit of marketing for this film yet has looked appealing, even as just a regular movie, let alone like a true-to-the-material adaptation. over the years, i've been fooled by the occasional trailer that made a movie look better than it was, but rarely do they manage to make the movie look worse than it is. if you can't find 30 seconds or 2 minutes worth of quality material to pull out of the film to help sell it, then it's highly unlikely the other 93 minutes of the film are going to be any better.

i have a life. i have lots of better things i can do with those 90+ minutes of my life than take a chance on wasting them on a movie that, from everything i've been shown so far, looks like utter shit.

THEN SEE IT AND PROVE ME WRONG!

Oh God I know everyone here soooooo wants to do that! Enough to make this movie profit even!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:43 am

I do have a feeling some of theses critics might be a tad more critical than I would have been. For instance I don't think a thought like 'The costumes are bland' has ever crossed my mind while watching aq movie.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Al Shut wrote:

I do have a feeling some of theses critics might be a tad more critical than I would have been. For instance I don't think a thought like 'The costumes are bland' has ever crossed my mind while watching aq movie.

If the film is as unengaging as I have read, it doesn't surprise me that there are costume critiques. When the drama on-screen fails to engage, one might begin to study a pair of pants and find them to be lackluster as well.

Personally, the entire film looks bland from what I've seen, so the costumes don't matter that much in the long run. Would stellar costume design have saved this film? Probably not. But it definitely does not speak well of your film that the question should ever come up.

The whole thing has a bit of a bargain basement UNDERWORLD feel, though, which is probably the hardest crticism I could level at this film.

Once I've finally seen it I will release my complete findings. Until then I can only speculate. It seems, however, that all of my fears about this project have come to fruition. It appears that they have missed the mark by a very wide margin indeed. Stephen King's enthusiastic endorsement of this film is puzzling and upsetting.

This is not the Tower we were looking for.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:01 am

As far as the costume thing goes, I haven't seen the movie and I will (mostly) wait until I do before I pass judgment, but I will say that I always thought the Man in Black's plain black suit was a spectacularly lazy costume design.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:53 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Stephen King's enthusiastic endorsement of this film is puzzling and upsetting.

remember, this is the same King who hated Kubrick's Shining and has championed the work of Mick Garris on several occasions. he is the worst judge of his own film adaptations there is. any endorsement by King should be treated as a HUGE red flag.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Stephen King's enthusiastic endorsement of this film is puzzling and upsetting.

remember, this is the same King who hated Kubrick's Shining and has championed the work of Mick Garris on several occasions. he is the worst judge of his own film adaptations there is. any endorsement by King should be treated as a HUGE red flag.

It just seems odd that he would thrash Kubrick's film for gutting the characters (understandable) while praising Garris's more Garrissy faithful adaptation (also understandable, though misguided) and then turn around to endorse a film that by all accounts completely misses the mark in terms of character and story.

I'm sure he has some financial stake in this, but to go so far as to tell the director that he has done absolutely right by the material? I'd be a little more conservative with my praise.

I find it a little hard to believe that King thinks this is a worthy adaptation of his work. He can toss out comparisons of apples and oranges as he has in the past, but the best adaptations of his work by far have been the ones that are mosr faithful to the tone and spirit of the original story. I understand there have to be concessions when adapting material for the screen, but did they even TRY to do a decent job?

Frankly, the worst part of this for me is that they decided to make Jake the main character and sideline Roland. Talk about missing the mark. The Dark Tower is the gunslinger's story. Period. His journey. His quest. How you could fuck up such a major aspect of the series is a testament to the ineptitude of the filmmakers.

Now imagine how I feel after I've actually seen the film.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Now imagine how I feel after I've actually seen the film.

... You... might, actually like it? :o
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Now imagine how I feel after I've actually seen the film.

Oh my, no.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:27 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Oh my, no.

Don't ever hypocritically cuss people who say a film is shit based on trailers etc. before they actually see it, again.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:27 pm

i don't know why i never saw it before.

Kirks is...... Ron Howard!?!?!?!?

from now on, i'm calling him CptKirksOpie
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Oh my, no.

Don't ever hypocritically cuss people who say a film is shit based on trailers etc. before they actually see it, again.

I don't believe I've ever done this, but I'll take it into consideration.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 pm

The Dark Tower suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:05 am

I never did muster the willpower to actually spend money on this. I figure I could save my money for something I'd actually enjoy.

Naturally I've seen IT twice already.
caruso_stalker217

Postby justcheckin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:The Dark Tower suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

I was very disappointed too so I quoted you. Did anyone feel like Jake was a cross between JakeChambers and Patrick Danville from the last book?
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:01 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I never did muster the willpower to actually spend money on this. I figure I could save my money for something I'd actually enjoy.

Naturally I've seen IT twice already.

Or you could have paid to see Blade Runner.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I almost saw BLADE RUNNER, but then I didn't.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Wolfpack on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:27 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I almost saw BLADE RUNNER, but then I didn't.

Well, he runs really fast, but you know what they say:

Roses are red
Violets are glorious
You can't ever hide
From Oscar Pistorius
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:47 pm

I finally got around to seeing The Dark Tower. It's a rather misjudged adaptation.

Considering "The Gunslinger" is something of a simple tale and provides a clear introduction into the world of Roland, I'm surprised anyone thought it was a good idea to produce this overcomplicated, unstructed, badly written mess.

If you're familiar with the books, then you can almost piece it together - even though it rarely resembles the source material and so doesn't satisfy. I think most would be at a loss to understand any of it otherwise.

In terms of it being a continuation of the books, it doesn't make much sense either as the characters and situation bear little resemblance to their written forms.

It's dull, bland and not very interesting.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:32 am

Fried Gold wrote:I finally got around to seeing The Dark Tower. It's a rather misjudged adaptation.

Considering "The Gunslinger" is something of a simple tale and provides a clear introduction into the world of Roland, I'm surprised anyone thought it was a good idea to produce this overcomplicated, unstructed, badly written mess.

If you're familiar with the books, then you can almost piece it together - even though it rarely resembles the source material and so doesn't satisfy. I think most would be at a loss to understand any of it otherwise.

In terms of it being a continuation of the books, it doesn't make much sense either as the characters and situation bear little resemblance to their written forms.

It's dull, bland and not very interesting.

"dull, bland and not very interesting" is Ron Howard's middle name. his Da Vinci Code took what should have been a slam dunk and turned it into a boring slog. and i know he didn't direct Dark Tower but he's responsible for a lot of the wrong-headed decisions about how to adapt those books that made this movie the inevitable failure it turned out to be.

yes, he's made some good movies in the past (Apollo 18, Cinderella Man, Splash) but his output over the past decade plus has been an unrelenting series of turds. in other words, the Han Solo solo movie is gonna suuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk...
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:59 am

What? No love for Rush (the movie, not the band)?

Howards quota is about 50%, I'd say Solo has still a good chance of pleasantly suprising you.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

"dull, bland and not very interesting" is Ron Howard's middle name. his Da Vinci Code took what should have been a slam dunk and turned it into a boring slog. and i know he didn't direct Dark Tower but he's responsible for a lot of the wrong-headed decisions about how to adapt those books that made this movie the inevitable failure it turned out to be.

yes, he's made some good movies in the past (Apollo 18, Cinderella Man, Splash) but his output over the past decade plus has been an unrelenting series of turds. in other words, the Han Solo solo movie is gonna suuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk...

This didn't really resemble a Ron Howard film. Even his dull films at least have some kind of structure or clear narrative to them. Case in point is those Da Vinci Code movies - not very interesting but the stories are still A to B to C simple to follow. The Dark Tower couldn't even do that.

And, from what I understand, his involvement was rather minimal in the end.

This seems like more of an another Akiva Goldsman fuck up, along with the director Nikolaj Arcel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion