‘Blade Runner 2049’

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: ‘Blade Runner 2049’

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:43 pm

aaaaaaaand Harrison Ford is clearly older in that clip than he was in the original Bladerunner..........meaning......he is human and NOT an android

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Peven wrote:aaaaaaaand Harrison Ford is clearly older in that clip than he was in the original Bladerunner..........meaning......he is human and NOT an android

I believe an idea floated around is that Tyrell was attempting to make more advanced replicants which were more human-like (like Rachel) and could live longer....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:24 pm

but they wouldn't build in aging, too. it wouldn't be sensible to spend all that time and money on a being that would get older and weaker with time when you could design them to stay young and strong.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:38 pm

The Replicant Mystery "Will Remain Unconfirmed," Says Director Denis Villeneuve

So, make of that what you will. I don't know how they're going to explain Deckard being older, if they explain it at all.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:46 pm

So this is a sequel to the original theatrical cut?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So this is a sequel to the original theatrical cut?

I've never been able to keep it straight as to what version is what...theatrical, extended, directors cut, voice over, etc. As a matter of fact, I probably own two versions in my modest DVD collection. In my head, the only version I know is the "voice over" version.

So to answer your question, no idea. And honestly don't care at this point. I'm more concerned that I see a good movie. I'm more concerned about retro fitting the story to fit the problem of an OLD Harrison Ford. If Ridley's original vision was that Deckard was a replicant (albeit one who had a longer lifespan), then showing an aged Ford would fly against this idea unless he came up with a silly reason why he can suddenly age.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Am I the only one that just wants to punch Ryan Gosling's smug "Oh I'm OH so good looking and therefore behave as arrogant and obnoxious as I want"'s face in?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 pm

I know what you're talking about, although it doesn't bother me as much as you. Have you seen The Nice Guys? Shane Black utilizes his punchability to great effect.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:48 am

Yes he does and there is a rage ball squeezing effect in there satisfying my anger. But that is just one film where he's playing it differently. I really want to see Ryan dump his quiet tough guy act in Blade Runner and show me a more likeable side to him, not another Mr Immortal.

Even though he IS an android.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Am I the only one that just wants to punch Ryan Gosling's smug "Oh I'm OH so good looking and therefore behave as arrogant and obnoxious as I want"'s face in?

i'd rather punch Michael Cera in the face.

or Jesse Eisenberg, now that Michael Cera doesn't get work anymore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Am I the only one that just wants to punch Ryan Gosling's smug "Oh I'm OH so good looking and therefore behave as arrogant and obnoxious as I want"'s face in?

I can't stand Ryan Gosling. Its not so much about his smugness (which is definitely there), its something about his face. I can't quite figure it out, but something about his face looks wrong. Eyes to close together? Too much forehead? I don't know what it is, but God damn I hate this guy.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:46 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

I can't stand Ryan Gosling. Its not so much about his smugness (which is definitely there), its something about his face. I can't quite figure it out, but something about his face looks wrong. Eyes to close together? Too much forehead? I don't know what it is, but God damn I hate this guy.

For me it's his mouth. That smug smirking shape it always makes. I had a mate who did that, I want to punch his mouth in too.

I also think it's because so many girls want to put their mouth to his as well. Try my fist instead, Ryan, at least someone's body part will enjoy it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:36 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

For me it's his mouth. That smug smirking shape it always makes. I had a mate who did that, I want to punch his mouth in too.

I also think it's because so many girls want to put their mouth to his as well. Try my fist instead, Ryan, at least someone's body part will enjoy it.

that''s his version of Blue Steel. i believe it's called Teal Zinc.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:47 pm

the inferiority complexes in here are starting to overcrowd the available space. :lol: you don't like him because you know that every woman you've ever been with would pick him over you. :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Peven wrote:the inferiority complexes in here are starting to overcrowd the available space. :lol: you don't like him because you know that every woman you've ever been with would pick him over you. :-P

Shut up Richard Hatch! You don't know my problems because you are SO one dimensionally perfect in Battlestar Galactica and never put a foot wrong and all the girls, including your sister Athena want to shag you!

No. No - I don't think you know what it is to walk in my shoes. Especially as I wanted to grow up to become a more chiselled version of you but never did :(
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 am

10 Europeans to Watch in 2017
BY VARIETY STAFF

Sylvia Hoeks

Actress, Netherlands

As a girl, Hoeks was always trying to figure out why people made certain choices in life. “And that turned into a life’s quest,” she says. After being scouted by Elite Model Management at age 14, Hoeks decided to become an actor following her high school graduation, studying at the Maastricht Theatre Academy. Success came early, with an acclaimed supporting role in the 2007 midlife-crisis drama “Duska,” and she points to Giuseppe Tornatore’s “The Best Offer” (2013) as a personal favorite. Now 33, she is less forthcoming about her role in this year’s hot ticket “Blade Runner 2049.” “It’s a big secret,” she laughs, but its scale and the anticipation, hasn’t daunted her. “I want to make the right choices,” she says, “to be able to combine intelligent blockbuster movies with independent gems and to tell the stories I feel are worth telling.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

I'm loving the look of this so far. Definitely high on my Most Anticipated Movie of 2017 list
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed May 10, 2017 7:57 am

we're catching Villenueva(sp?) at the right time, too, on his way up, when directors many times produce some of their best work, before they start chasing their own egos' tails or letting press and outside influences cloud their focus and vision.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: ‘Atari 2049’

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 11, 2017 2:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'Blade Runner 2049'

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm

that trailer really expands on what we have been shown as the scope of the movie. one of my most anticipated movies of the year, and after seeing "Alien:Covenant" I am more glad than ever that Scott didn't direct this one. dude needs to stay away from science fiction. I like what Villanueva did with the Arrival and a fresh voice is what the sequel needed after the original has collected so much dust. add Gosling as protagonist and I become very optimistic. no guarantee it will be good, but damn I really like the ingredients.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 am

I'm still excited for this because of Villeneuve, the involvement of Blade Runner co-scribe Hampton Fancher and just how gorgeous everything looks overall, but I'm a bit concerned that I still can't make out any sort of plot beyond hidden codes and secret books, and the cops have to find Deckard to prevent a war, or something...? I'm worried about the presence of "world-building" hack Michael Green in the credits, and that whatever cool bits may be in the film are hanging on a shaggy dog story full of MacGuffins and needlessly inflated stakes.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am

Ribbons wrote:I'm still excited for this because of Villeneuve, the involvement of Blade Runner co-scribe Hampton Fancher and just how gorgeous everything looks overall, but I'm a bit concerned that I still can't make out any sort of plot beyond hidden codes and secret books, and the cops have to find Deckard to prevent a war, or something...? I'm worried about the presence of "world-building" hack Michael Green in the credits, and that whatever cool bits may be in the film are hanging on a shaggy dog story full of MacGuffins and needlessly inflated stakes.

we'll have to see where they go with these bits, it could be they make a profound statement about the concept of consciousness or sentience in regard to the advancement of A.I. in our own world, or a larger take on consciousness and existentialism. we'll see. if it is a science fiction movie in the vein of Gattaca then cool beans. if it is cinematic version of Lost then, yeah, shit. considering Villeneuve's work with the Arrival I think we'll get more of the former than the latter.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Yeah, I mean if you look at what James Mangold did with Logan, the "plot" about evil scientists taking over farms all across the country and putting some sort of mutant-power-suppressing chemical in energy drinks so they could grow their own mutants in a lab was incidental to the tone of the film and the journey that the characters took, and it ended up being pretty great. I think Denis Villeneuve is capable of doing the same thing.

It's also possible that they're just being deliberately secretive about the story so as not to spoil anything. So we'll see.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:46 pm

You guys feel like watching a couple Blade Runner 2049 prequels?

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:51 pm

good shit

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 pm

the early reaction from critics is WAAY positive, eh, so its ok to exhale and let go of that fear of another sequel let-down. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Yeah, it looks like I was worried over nothing. The official reviews are rolling in now, and they're almost universally raves:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner_2049/
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:Yeah, it looks like I was worried over nothing. The official reviews are rolling in now, and they're almost universally raves:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner_2049/

I can't fucking wait. If I can find some in time i'm eating some shrooms for my first theatre viewing :shock: :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:21 am

Film School Rejects 09/29/17:
Syd Mead Discusses Perfect Shots, Working in Movies, and ‘Blade Runner 2049’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 am

THR SEPTEMBER 28, 2017:
'Blade Runner' Sequel a Make-Or-Break Moment for Producer Alcon
Pamela McClintock wrote:Producers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove — who met at Princeton University before convincing FexEx founder Fred Smith to help them launch the film company Alcon Entertainment 20 years ago — are candid. They admit that Alcon's future depends on Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to Ridley Scott's sci-fi epic that hits theaters Oct. 6. "This is a chips-in-the-center-of-the-table exercise," says Kosove.

After a string of box-office wins — most notably, The Blind Side in 2009 — Kosove, 47, and Johnson, 50, arrived at a moment of reckoning. Alcon, with a staff of 45, no longer wanted to subsist solely on smaller, one-off movies, however successful (Alcon's past slate includes Insomnia, P.S. I Love You, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Dolphin Tale and Prisoners). The company, which has a long-term distribution deal with Warner Bros., needed to be in the tentpole franchise business.

"We were sitting on a substantial balance sheet," adds Kosove. "Normally, we would have refinanced the business and taken the shareholder money off the table. We would then make new movies with other people's money. But the high-water mark coincided with the financial crisis. The capital markets were tied up. We had two options — go home or take the company to the next level." That meant bigger but riskier bets. "If you don't have repetitive cash flow, which is a fancy way of saying being in the sequel business, you are going to be in trouble eventually."

Alcon missed its first target — a $100 million redo of Point Break. The 2015 remake earned just $28.8 million domestically and $133.7 million globally. Alcon sold off international rights, mitigating losses, but it was a disastrous experience.

"Point Break was fundamentally rejected. If we had decided to do a sequel, it would have been perceived differently," says Johnson. Adds Kosove, "Most people who have a degree of success say they were more shaped by their failures than their successes. We learned a lot of lessons from Point Break. I never want to be involved in a remake again. We were pure of heart, but we offended a lot of people."

Remaking Blade Runner was never an option, since the remake rights weren't available. Instead, Kosove and Johnson bought all other rights to the property from the late Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin, including sequel rights. Next, they put together an impressive team to make the movie, including enlisting the guidance of Scott and hiring Villeneuve, who helmed Prisoners, to direct. Ryan Gosling was cast in the lead role, followed by the announcement that Harrison Ford would reprise the role of Rick Deckard.

Blade Runner 2049 cost a net $150 million to make, and was co-financed by Alcon and Sony (each committed to spend $90 million before rebates and tax incentives brought down the budget). Alcon owns the film; Sony will release it overseas and get a slice of the profits. Warners is handling the film domestically and will get a fee per its deal with Alcon. "We're confident Alcon has delivered another hit," Warner Bros. chairman-CEO Kevin Tsujihara says in a statement. Insiders say the movie will need to clear $400 million at the worldwide box office to be considered a win.

Adds Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group chairman Tom Rothman, "we feel honored and lucky as hell to collaborate with Alcon, Ridley, Denis and all the exceptional talent involved in this long-awaited new chapter in the Blade Runner story to the big screen, where it belongs."

Kosove, Johnson and Smith, who put up the initial investment, remain Alcon's only shareholders, meaning unlike many other film financing companies, they don't have to answer to numerous investors. Alcon has a 32-title library that has generated more than $2 billion in revenue.

Alcon has also diversified into television — including Syfy series The Expanse — music and talent management, while its interactive and merchandising units will rely on Blade Runner 2049 to build their portfolios.

Is it a winning strategy? Says Johnson: "If it works, it transforms what we do."

#linktober
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 am

Moved to Discussion. I probably won't see this movie for a couple weeks, so be sure to let me know which ones are replicants.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 pm

The Playlist October 10, 2017:
‘Blade Runner 2049’ Box Office Causes Theater Chain Stocks To Tumble
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:With all due respect to Martin Scorsese, part of the conversation around “Blade Runner 2049” has been its weaker than expected opening weekend numbers. Warner Bros. has admitted the turnout was “narrower” than they had anticipated, and the picture looks unlikely to crack $100 million domestic. That’s not a good look for a movie that cost $150 million plus marketing, and it seems even the theater chains are bracing for what this will do to their bottom line.

The stock market reacted to the low figures for “Blade Runner 2049,” and exhibitors AMC, Regal and Cinemark all saw their stock prices drop on Monday, with the former taking the biggest hit, losing 7.9%.

What’s the takeaway here? Well, it’s a reminder that in the current go big or go home, blockbuster climate, the stakes are absurdly high. It’s almost a miracle that Denis Villeneuve got to make his contemplative, moody sci-fi sequel at all, but you can bet it will be a long, long time before anybody on the Warner Bros. lot (besides Christopher Nolan) gets that kind of creative blank slate to make what they want. When a film missing its opening weekend goalposts causes a ripple effect of financial worry, it’s only going to make executives all the more cautious when it comes to taking risks.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what Villeneuve is able to do next. Will Legendary feel less confident about moving ahead with “Dune,” another cult sci-fi property, in the wake of these box office numbers? My guess is there will be some serious second guessing as Hollywood watches where these numbers wind up. [Deadline]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 am

Has anyone actually SEEN this movie yet then or are we just gonna get TheButcher's spam link here to the end of oblivion?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am

the Butcher Bot will just keep churning them out, don't worry

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm

I saw Blade Runner 2049 and awarded it the rating of "Quite Good".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 am

Fried Gold wrote:I saw Blade Runner 2049 and awarded it the rating of "Quite Good".

Not EXCELLENT?

I'll be seeing BR2049 sometime this week, probably
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Astonishing work, gorgeous in every frame, technically it's perfect, great and rather original take on the AI theme, the acting is spot on. It's just rather slow and long. I think some people walked out.

As amazing as this film is though I can see why it has flopped big time and isn't popular with the mass audience.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Astonishing work, gorgeous in every frame, technically it's perfect, great and rather original take on the AI theme, the acting is spot on. It's just rather slow and long. I think some people walked out.

As amazing as this film is though I can see why it has flopped big time and isn't popular with the mass audience.

Indeed. Two people walked out after about two hours in the screening I was in.

If it does have a failing, it's that it is quite demanding on the audience. If you consider the human brain struggles to maintain focus on activities beyond the 20 minute mark, the film plods along without regard. It could be argued that Denis Villeneuve has been allowed to indulge himself when, potentially, he could've told the same story in a more concise way.

Although I wasn't that bothered by the pacing myself.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:36 pm

It's a trying pace, and does test my comfort in my seat and got me fidgeting a bit with some feelings of slight impatience in parts. By the time we got to see Deckard I was feeling a bit fatigued. But though I also wanted to go to the toilet toward the end, there was no unnecessary scene that I could walk out on, neither do I think there was such an irrelevant scene at any earlier point. By the end the slowness paid off and the mental and emotional satisfaction was there. So the film worked, just.

Plus as well as fleshing out the matters of existence and what it is to be an AI or human in those indulging scenes, I can adore Joi for long long time without complaint.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I honestly can't add much more insight than you two have offered here. I love this film. it is visually sumptuous. metaphysically intriguing. wonderfully existential. superbly acted. and s l o w. just got back from watching it and no surprise that it isn't doing well, as much as I dug it. watching 2001 and this back to back will cure anyone of insomnia. and think both of those are great films. :D :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 am

people walked out after TWO HOURS? i mean, how long does it take to realize a movie is too slow for you? how long is this movie anyways? you'd think by the 2-hour mark, if you made it that far you may as well stick it out til the end.

as much as i like the original Blade Runner, it's also got a pretty slow and deliberate pace, and often i fall asleep while watching it. it's actually refreshing and appropriate then that BR2049 seems to follow the same pacing and atmosphere, because it would have been so easy for them to jack this up into some A.D.D. action and FX extravaganza instead.

that said, i'll end up seeing it on DVD and probably splitting my viewing into 2 or 3 separate nights, if it's really as slow as people say.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:08 am

TheBaxter wrote:people walked out after TWO HOURS? i mean, how long does it take to realize a movie is too slow for you? how long is this movie anyways? you'd think by the 2-hour mark, if you made it that far you may as well stick it out til the end.

2 hours 44 minutes. So if youn don't likie the first quarter, give the senond quarter a second and the third a last chance you can skip the last 40 minutes.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:people walked out after TWO HOURS? i mean, how long does it take to realize a movie is too slow for you? how long is this movie anyways? you'd think by the 2-hour mark, if you made it that far you may as well stick it out til the end.

as much as i like the original Blade Runner, it's also got a pretty slow and deliberate pace, and often i fall asleep while watching it. it's actually refreshing and appropriate then that BR2049 seems to follow the same pacing and atmosphere, because it would have been so easy for them to jack this up into some A.D.D. action and FX extravaganza instead.

that said, i'll end up seeing it on DVD and probably splitting my viewing into 2 or 3 separate nights, if it's really as slow as people say.

You know I really hate that - that someone bases their decision not to see a film at the cinema but to skip it and see it on fucking DVD instead based on the comments of 2 people. A film that was eagerly awaited for years, 3 decades in fact, and a film that is just dying to be seen at a massive Imax screen where the full appreciation of it's visual beauty is to be felt.

I can't believe you can be so dismissive. Next time you complain about people not seeing great films at the cinema, just remember you're the one to blame.

JUST GO AND SEE THE DAMN FILM AND MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:25 pm

i don't complain about people not seeing movies at the theater. most years i can count the number of movies i see in the theater on one hand. and usually at least a couple of those films are compromised by idiots in the audience talking/texting/etc. which just makes me avoid going to the theater more. although, based on these box office results, i could probably see BR2049 without that particular worry.

i had no plans on seeing this in the theater to begin with. so i'm not changing those plans based on what others are saying. the only change in my plans is to probably split my viewing up rather than try to watch it all in one night and end up sleeping through half of it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Don't you see any of the movies that I'm in? If I told you I was in this, would you watch it?

YOU'RE THE REASON I'M OUT OF WORK, HERMIT!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Don't you see any of the movies that I'm in? If I told you I was in this, would you watch it?

YOU'RE THE REASON I'M OUT OF WORK, HERMIT!

i went to the theater to see Rogue One.

oh wait....
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion