IT (Stephen King)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: IT (Stephen King)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:01 am

After all my talk, I never did go see THE DARK TOWER. I've waited almost a decade for that piece of shit so I could hate it with a passion, but it just looked so goddamn terrible I couldn't bring myself to see it.

Honestly, I never expected IT to turn out as great as it did. I doubt I'll see another film this year I enjoyed more.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: Stephen King's 'Pennywise the Dancing Clown'

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 am

THR SEPTEMBER 25, 2017:
'It' Sequel Gets September 2019 Release Date
Pamela McClintock wrote:Pennywise the Dancing Clown is getting ready to terrorize audiences all over again.

New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. on Monday announced that a sequel to the horror blockbuster It will hit theaters, including Imax locations, on Sept. 6, 2019.

Since its debut earlier this month, the film adaptation of Stephen King's book has shattered numerous records, including becoming the top-grossing horror film of all time, not adjusting for inflation. The Exorcist, released in 1973, made $233 million in North America and $441.3 million worldwide, but the domestic portion swells to $917.5 million when adjusting for inflation.

It has earned $266.1 million domestically and $478.1 million globally to date. The R-rated pic has roused the box office back to life after a brutal August and tough summer, as well as fueling record September revenue in North America.

Gary Dauberman, one of the screenwriters on It, has quietly closed a deal to pen the screenplay for the follow-up, while director Andy Muschietti is waiting in the wings to return as well. Producers Barbara Muschietti, Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are also expected to return for the sequel.

King's opus It tells of a group of friends who band together to defeat their small town's demon, first as kids and then as adults. While his book toggles between the young and older characters, New Line structured its adaptation so that the first film focuses on the kids and is set in the past. While the sequel will take place in the present, it will be punctuated with flashbacks, allowing the same cadre of kids to be seen again.

In a twinned movie, the studio's film adaptation of Cartoon Network's Teen Titans Go! has a new release date. The movie is being pushed back from June 1, 2018, to July 27, 2018.

THR SEPTEMBER 26, 2017:
Burger King Russia Demands 'It' Ban, Saying Clown Looks Like Ronald McDonald
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:29 pm

So I watched this.....

I read the book, so I knew pretty much what to expect. And in that regards, it gave me just about everything I was expecting - and did it very well. There were a bunch of changes, but I can't think of one that bothered me. In fact, most of the changes seemed to help the flow of the story. The change of time period was a welcome change as it put it within my generation/age (although I would have been up to a year older than these kids). This change should make for an interesting Part 2 as the adults will have all of the technological wonders we have today - compared to the book's adult world taking place in the 1980's.

I really enjoyed the kids' interactions with each other. The banter and emotions seemed genuine. Beverly and Bill's interactions at the end of the film were ridiculously sweet and again, seemed authentic.
All in all, it was a great adaptation....that I really have no desire to watch again.

Whoa, what? Praise a movie left and right and not want to watch it again?
Yup.
I guarantee you that if I saw this exact same movie 10+ years ago, my reaction would have been different. Here's why:

That opening scene.... that I knew was coming.... has stuck with me.
The sight of a 6 or 7 year-old boy, having just had his right arm severed, desperately crawling away from the monster in the sewer, crying out for his brother as the blood is gushing out of his arm stump..... That's probably the most effectively horrific scene I've seen in a film. Now how much of that reaction has to do with the fact that I have a 7 year-old son who absolutely adores his older brother? I'm willing to guess it has almost everything to do with that fact. But that scene.... the actor's work in that scene was ridiculously effective.

Now I'm still stoked to see Part 2, don't get me wrong! But I'd be surprised if I watched Part 1 again.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:32 pm

To quote another 80s movie about kids - You Wimp!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:To quote another 80s movie about kids - You Wimp!

What can I say?
Guilty as fucking charged, man! :(

P.s. - Zero charisma!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Haha!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Fievel wrote:The change of time period was a welcome change as it put it within my generation/age (although I would have been up to a year older than these kids).

So you would be one of those psychotic teenagers that keep trying to murder the kids, is what you're saying
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Nah, but I would have been in background leering with my junior-sized mullet!
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Fievel wrote:So I watched this.....

I read the book, so I knew pretty much what to expect. And in that regards, it gave me just about everything I was expecting - and did it very well. There were a bunch of changes, but I can't think of one that bothered me. In fact, most of the changes seemed to help the flow of the story. The change of time period was a welcome change as it put it within my generation/age (although I would have been up to a year older than these kids). This change should make for an interesting Part 2 as the adults will have all of the technological wonders we have today - compared to the book's adult world taking place in the 1980's.

I really enjoyed the kids' interactions with each other. The banter and emotions seemed genuine. Beverly and Bill's interactions at the end of the film were ridiculously sweet and again, seemed authentic.
All in all, it was a great adaptation....that I really have no desire to watch again.

Whoa, what? Praise a movie left and right and not want to watch it again?
Yup.
I guarantee you that if I saw this exact same movie 10+ years ago, my reaction would have been different. Here's why:

That opening scene.... that I knew was coming.... has stuck with me.
The sight of a 6 or 7 year-old boy, having just had his right arm severed, desperately crawling away from the monster in the sewer, crying out for his brother as the blood is gushing out of his arm stump..... That's probably the most effectively horrific scene I've seen in a film. Now how much of that reaction has to do with the fact that I have a 7 year-old son who absolutely adores his older brother? I'm willing to guess it has almost everything to do with that fact. But that scene.... the actor's work in that scene was ridiculously effective.

Now I'm still stoked to see Part 2, don't get me wrong! But I'd be surprised if I watched Part 1 again.

The kid who played George was so fucking good in this. His scenes with Bill brought a tear to my old eyes for sure (I'm 31).

I finished reading IT recently and I'm very curious to see how they tackle the sequel, as there really isn't much to the adult stuff. If they really are bringing in the Ritual of Chüd stuff I will be very happy. I think there's probably room for delving more into Derry's history as well. I hope they go for broke and use as much of the crazy shit from the book as possible.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I finished reading IT recently and I'm very curious to see how they tackle the sequel, as there really isn't much to the adult stuff. If they really are bringing in the Ritual of Chüd stuff I will be very happy. I think there's probably room for delving more into Derry's history as well. I hope they go for broke and use as much of the crazy shit from the book as possible.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel with the thought of the Derry historical stuff being presented. The Black Spot, the massacre at the bar....they could even invent an incident or two going back farther in history. But they did such a great job in casting the kids*, I can't help but assume they'll knock it out of the park with the adults as well. And the adults will all have their own tales to tell, too.

*I was worried about the kid from Stranger Things being in this - playing another kid in the 1980s, but he did a great job as the Trashmouth.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:01 am

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I finished reading IT recently and I'm very curious to see how they tackle the sequel, as there really isn't much to the adult stuff. If they really are bringing in the Ritual of Chüd stuff I will be very happy. I think there's probably room for delving more into Derry's history as well. I hope they go for broke and use as much of the crazy shit from the book as possible.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel with the thought of the Derry historical stuff being presented. The Black Spot, the massacre at the bar....they could even invent an incident or two going back farther in history. But they did such a great job in casting the kids*, I can't help but assume they'll knock it out of the park with the adults as well. And the adults will all have their own tales to tell, too.

*I was worried about the kid from Stranger Things being in this - playing another kid in the 1980s, but he did a great job as the Trashmouth.

I'm really hoping they don't go for star power in casting the adults. Just get some solid, affordable, recognizable faces in there. The sequel is gonna make a shit-ton of money anyway. No one needs to get all frothy in the loins fantasy casting Chris Pratt in this thing.

Although upon re-reading the book I couldn't help picturing Pratt as Ben. Damn you, fantasy casting internet nerds!
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:56 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Fievel wrote:

I'm really hoping they don't go for star power in casting the adults. Just get some solid, affordable, recognizable faces in there. The sequel is gonna make a shit-ton of money anyway. No one needs to get all frothy in the loins fantasy casting Chris Pratt in this thing.

Although upon re-reading the book I couldn't help picturing Pratt as Ben. Damn you, fantasy casting internet nerds!

i like the idea of Chris Pratt - especially in adult Bill's intro scene at the bar/restaurant. He would kill it with a stoic/macho Indiana Jones-ish vibe.
Jessica Chastain is about the right age - and a natural readhead. Bottom line for me - I'd hate to see a bad hair dye job on a good actress. #redwashing
When watching the movie, the kid that played Bill reminded me of someone and it pissed me off the whole movie that I couldn't think of who it was. It didn't come to me until a few days later. Justin Theroux would make a believable grown-up Bill....but he might be a few years too old.
This could be a fantastic opportunity to restart/boost the career of actors whose spotlight has faded since they were younger. Jason Biggs for Richie or Fred Savage for Eddie, for example.
I've got nothing for Mike or Stan, but the faded star treatment here could be great, too.
Oh, and Sean William Scott for Henry Bowers. He should have died in the movie based on the fall, but he still has work to do.....

I think the quality of the first part will be enough to make Part 2 an attractive project, giving the producers their pick of the litter. Let's hope their eye is as good as for the adults as it was the kids.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:58 am

I saw someone suggest on some corner of the internet (actually, it may have been the comments section on Vern's review of the film) that Corey Stoll would make a good Bill and I wholeheartedly agree. Corey Stoll would knock that shit right out of the park. I could even see Little Bill growing up to look like Corey Stoll, a beautiful bald man.

I'm against any Chastaining of the sequel. This is an ensemble piece. It wouldn't do to lopside the casting like that. You get somebody like a Stoll, who has horror television cred with that "Strain" show that apparently has been on for five years or something. Plus he was the bad guy in ANT MAN, so the audience could say "Hey isn't that the bad guy from ANT MAN?" And it would be a nice point of reference for them. Plus he's a fantastic fucking actor and should have gotten an Emmy for the first season of "House of Cards" (RIP).

I think they should set their sights a little lower than Academy Award nominee level here. Let's not fly too close to the sun shall we? So I have no real notion of who they could cast for Bev outside of she-who-will-not-be-named. Mireille Enos maybe? She's got that television cred too with that other show I haven't seen. She might be too short though. And her ears are too big. I hate to go to the ears, but it is what it is. Fear the ears.

One bit of fancasting I actually like is Bill Hader for Richie. The guy has acting chops and I think Richie should be played by a professionally funny person, like they did with the miniseries. Except Harry Anderson has never been funny. They would have been better off casting fuckin' Bull or somebody. Anyway, Hader does funny voices and can also act. I could see Finn Wolfhard growing up to look something like Bill Hader, who is recognizable but probably pretty cheap seeing as he's more of a supporting guy and not a headliner (is that the word?).

After being an internet nerd and fancasting a bit with my sister, we decided Scoot McNairy will play Stan. We will not be moved on this. Scoot is the kind of actor who can show up for one scene and disappear, or be along for the whole movie, so for the rubes in the audience who don't know Stan's fate, Scoot would be a credible guy to go to. Like, yeah, he could be in the whole movie....but nobody would be surprised when he dies ten minutes in. Plus, his name is Scoot. Who wouldn't cast a guy named Scoot?

Eddie is a tougher role I think. He's such a nebbish type in the book, but they turned him into a real spitfire in the film. I can't imagine they'll turn him into a little balding man and saddle him with a studly wife who whines like a big child or something like that. But if I am to put on my casting director hat here, I wouldn't mind if they went with a guy like James Ransone. He's kind of an odd-looking guy, not ugly but not exactly handsome. He was in those SINISTER movies which apparently made money, so he's got the low-budget horror movie that made money cred. An audience can look at him and say, "Hey isn't that the cop from INSIDIOUS?" Because no one can tell those movies apart. Plus, he and Kid Eddie have the same eyebrows, so that makes him a shoo-in if you ask me.

I have no clue who could play Mike. Anthony Mackie?

My choice for Ben when I first read the book twenty years ago was Bill Paxton, but that probably won't happen.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

if they can't get Jessica Chastain for Bev, they can get the other Jessica Chastain, Bryce Dallas Howard. but not if they also get Chris Pratt, because i'll have flashback nightmares to that horrible Jurassic World movie they did together that will be far scarier than anything the film itself could conjure. if we're sticking to redheads (or former redheads) here, christina hendricks would probably be my choice. if you wanted to go the "career resurrection" route, molly ringwald would be an interesting choice, especially to continue along that 80s nostalgia vibe. or if you REALLY want to go the career resurrection route, there's always lindsay lohan* JUST JOKING, sheesh. she's about 10 years too young, but deborah ann woll from True Blood and Daredevil would be a decent, lesser known choice.

Fred Savage for Eddie. i like it.

has Steve Carell's star shrunk enough yet to play Richie?

Mike can be played by Idris Elba. guy deserves to be in at least one good Stephen King film in his lifetime.

but really, i hope they hire a real casting director who hires mostly unknown or lesser known actors. they'll probably get a recognized name for Bill, and maybe Bev, but none of the rest need to be already famous.

* actually, lohan would be good casting for IT's spidery true form. no CG monster they can come up with would look as scary as Lilo does these days.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:39 am

caruso - Remember, Chastain was only nominated, so her Oscar tally is zero so far, so don't feed your hate with undeserved credit! :lol: I like Enos a lot, but she doesn't have "that look" to be a grown up Beverly. Molly Ringwald (despite the name-drop in the movie! :lol: ) would have been good back in the day.
Baxter, I like your idea of Woll. Now SHE looks like a grown up version of Beverly. But she's still about 10 years too young for the part.

James Ransone for Eddie is fucking perfect. I loved that guy in Generation Kill and on Treme. He's definitely one of those "that guy from that one movie" people. I'll probably forget his name again after this post, but I'll always remember him on screen. Eddie was one of the few roles from the 1990 mini series that I thought was perfectly cast (Dennis Christopher).
I just wondered what Eddie Furlong looked like these days, thinking of bringing back a faded star.......I completely regret that decision.

Mike Hanlon is a tough one. His young self was played by a fairly stocky-built guy - an odd choice of actor considering Hanlon becomes the town librarian. Not that physically fit guys can't be librarians, but I thought Tim Reid was another successful casting from 1990. I'm always up for some Idris Elba. Common wouldn't bother me, based off of the young actor, but he's almost built like a superhero (tall, muscular). I can't see him as a librarian! :lol:

And Baxter - Carell is about 15 years too old! :lol:
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey now. Hey now. I did specify she was merely a nominee. Despite that, I wouldn't exactly call her a box office draw or anything.

Deborah Ann Will is actually a pretty good choice for Beverly, despite the age thing. This is Hollywood, man, they can fake that stuff. Dennis Christopher was like 34 in the miniseries. Of course he looked about 40 because people aged like shit back then.

I suppose they should go a bit older for Mike. He was supposed to be kinda haggard and worn compared to the rest of the Losers.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Fievel wrote:Whoa, what? Praise a movie left and right and not want to watch it again?
Yup.

How much of that reaction has to do with the fact that I have a 7 year-old son who absolutely adores his older brother? I'm willing to guess it has almost everything to do with that fact. But that scene.... the actor's work in that scene was ridiculously effective.

I think you're onto something here, perhaps even on a subconscious level. I just re-watched IT and I feel like a Big Idea in the film is the loss of innocence. It's great to see the Losers overcome their ghoulish childhood fears, but with that triumph comes the knowledge that there's much worse out there in the real world -- racism, rejection, sexual abuse, loved ones who disappear and never come back. I may be reading into things a bit too much but I almost think IT is about the end of childhood in a lot of ways.

I also think it's one of the better big Hollywood movies I've seen in a while. I find myself randomly thinking about scenes that I didn't realize have stuck with me for months.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Fievel wrote:Whoa, what? Praise a movie left and right and not want to watch it again?
Yup.

How much of that reaction has to do with the fact that I have a 7 year-old son who absolutely adores his older brother? I'm willing to guess it has almost everything to do with that fact. But that scene.... the actor's work in that scene was ridiculously effective.

I think you're onto something here, perhaps even on a subconscious level. I just re-watched IT and I feel like a Big Idea in the film is the loss of innocence. It's great to see the Losers overcome their ghoulish childhood fears, but with that triumph comes the knowledge that there's much worse out there in the real world -- racism, rejection, sexual abuse, loved ones who disappear and never come back. I may be reading into things a bit too much but I almost think IT is about the end of childhood in a lot of ways.

I also think it's one of the better big Hollywood movies I've seen in a while. I find myself randomly thinking about scenes that I didn't realize have stuck with me for months.

holy crap, you JUST "got" that the story is about growing up and that growing up/growing older is about not just the loss of innocence but loss, period.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm

If it helps, I haven't watched or read any other version of "IT" until this movie came out.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Ribbons wrote:If it helps, I haven't watched or read any other version of "IT" until this movie came out.

:D

I should have added a winky. sorry, the teacher I am working with this year has been making me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: so when I get on the computer for break I am usually cranked up to 10. :wink:

seriously, this woman has higher standards for the special ed kids we teach than she does for herself. people like her shouldn't be in education, but thanks to tenure she will be a drag on kids for years to come. now, our special ed director is an even bigger piece of shit, I think the clown in IT cares more about the welfare of children that that old hag.....but I digress. :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:39 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion