The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Dunkirk (No, not that Kirk)

Postby Peven on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 am

"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" is the best film released this year so far and I doubt anything will surpass it. one of the Coen's very best and worthy of all time status, imho. the review on the main page is glowing yet still doesn't convey the level of quality on every level of the film, especially the writing/storytelling aspect. that said, I am not surprised to see the RT score at 92% while the viewer score is in the mid 70s%, because the stories don't follow contemporary conventions that people are used to, they are more reminiscent of Twain or O'Henry or Grey, 19th century storytellers, and that makes sense since these are 19th century stories.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:29 am

Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:

New Coen Brothers flick. I'm hot and cold with these guys, this one looks good.

My favorite Coen films tend to put a smile on my face. I smiled a-plenty at that trailer. This was originally a six-episode series before they whittled it down to a single film. I'm wondering if those episodes will ever be released in full....

And Ribbons, that Life Itself will find an audience. Maybe not even until it hits home video, but it will find its audience. And those people buy tissues in bulk because they wail weekly when watching This Is Us.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Dunkirk (No, not that Kirk)

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am

Peven wrote:"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" is the best film released this year so far and I doubt anything will surpass it. one of the Coen's very best and worthy of all time status, imho. the review on the main page is glowing yet still doesn't convey the level of quality on every level of the film, especially the writing/storytelling aspect. that said, I am not surprised to see the RT score at 92% while the viewer score is in the mid 70s%, because the stories don't follow contemporary conventions that people are used to, they are more reminiscent of Twain or O'Henry or Grey, 19th century storytellers, and that makes sense since these are 19th century stories.

This does look like a slam dunk great movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 am

It's brilliant. The kind of jolt that cinema has needed... shame its netflix.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Peven on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:51 pm

it was released in theatres for a week before it was available on Netflix, so maybe that will qualify it for Oscar considerations. i'm thinking original screenplay, cinematography, sound, director and film.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:07 pm

Loved this.
Random thoughts:
-Tim Blake Nelson was awesome in his story. Pure classic Coen.
-James Franco was good, too. If he didn't have the cloud of being a Hollywood dirty man, I'd say that I'd love to see him in a feature-length western.
-Meal Ticket - Dudley Dursley and Liam Neeson....predictable ending (given that every story had death). Intentionally uncomfortable. Not my favorite.
-Tom Waits! (the only story with a happy ending!) Such a nice laid back story, until it isn't. And then it's fucking awesome.
-The Gal Who Got Rattled - Overlong. I liked this story a lot, but the first half went on too long for me.
-The Mortal Remains - Great dialogue and great performances in such a unique setting. So am I right in thinking this was a River Styx-esque trip to the afterlife? Regardless, everyone had a moment to shine in this one, and shine they did.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Return to Movie Discussion