The Devil & Daniel Johnston

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Devil & Daniel Johnston

Postby tfactor on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:35 am

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/devilanddanieljohnston/trailer/

I thought this was interesting so I thought I would share. However when did H@rry say "this year's must-see" about this movie. I mean it looks interesting but I don't recall reading about it at all here @ aicn. Looks good though, it reminds me of a friend I once had. He's dead now (stupid heroin and it's stupid consequential demise) but he was very similar in his borderline genius/insanity as it applied to his painting skills.

anyway enjoy
Last edited by tfactor on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:43 am

AICN was also in the Bubba Ho-Tep trailer...and it was a better quote, too.

Daniel Johnston is a legend. Yip/Jump Music stands as a great album despite its subpar production. Plus, when voting for "best Daniel Johnston song", you CAN vote for King Kong.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby tfactor on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:42 am

tubbs tubbs tubbs I have no time for long unnecessary polls, I'm at work here buddy

So wtf does no one like this trailer? or is this old news or what? I would have thought more of you would have been interested in something like this. I did a search before creating the thread to make sure nothing has been done about it so far, so wtf?

Cheese & crackers I thought everyone had a couple people they knew who were on the border of sanity/genius, some zoners not excluded.

"Yes Alex, I'll take 'buy myself a clue' for 1000"
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:50 am

Interesting trailer, tfactor. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:52 am

I watched the trailer, looks interesting to say the least but I doubt it will ever get released this side of the pond.

As for the Must see movie AICN thing, well I would guess that it was buried in with loads of other films last year at Sundance, maybe Mori said it or maybe someone who submitted a review said it or Harry/Quint/Mori said it looks like a must see movie or something, they can be very selective when selecting quotes to put on posters/trailers etc, it's not unheard of for people to edit what was said completely to suit their needs, like worse case scenario someone might say "Far from the best movie of the year, avoid at all costs" which would be changed simply to "Best movie of the Year".
Last edited by John-Locke on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:54 am

That's what I think is funny about AICN quotes. They never attribute it to a person, just the site.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:54 am

, they can be very selective when selecting quites to put on posters/trailers, it's not unheard of for people to edit what was said completely to suit their needs, like worse case scenario someone might say "Far from the best movie of the year, avoid at all costs" which would be changed simply to "Best movie of the Year".

Yeah...look in my thread of How Trailers Are Made....it talks about that stuff too.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:17 pm

I saw the album cover for Daniel Johnston's tribute record today; it's a picture of Johnston himself standing in front of his own grave, and the tombstone reads "Sorry entertainer." The morbid humor (I assume the photo was taken before his actual death) kind of made me chuckle, and ALSO, it made me think of this movie. I'm thinking about queuing this bad boy up. Has anybody seen it, and is it any good?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:(I assume the photo was taken before his actual death)

I think I'll paraphrase Monty Python on this one: He ain't dead yet!

Unless something's happened in the past day or two that I haven't heard about... :shock:
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm

WalterBunny wrote:

Unless something's happened in the past day or two that I haven't heard about... :shock:

:oops:

See I assumed that the picture was fake, but that his death was real. Err... whoops!

Anyway, still intrigued by this trailer and interested in seeing his life story, complete or otherwise.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby WalterBunny on Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Nothing to worry about.

I've wanted to see the doc. And yeah, the man has a sick and morbid sense of humor.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01 pm

yay memory!

I knew someone, and I was pretty sure of just whom, had wrote something up about this...

Peven wrote:last night i watched "The Deveil and Daniel Johnston", for those unaware, a documentary about a very artistically talented but very tormented guy, a severe manic depressive. a really engrossing film that gives a pretty straightforward depiction of the life of this guy who some people describe as the most talented songwriter they have ever known of, but yet one who self-destructed numerous times in the last quarter century. i honestly can't get too much into my insights or opinions of Daniel's descent into madness, because of our the recent ban on religious discussion. see, not only is Daniel unquestionably afflicted with severe manic-depression, he was raised in a very religious household, and when his manic depression really hit he developed an obsession with the Devil which took center stage in his delusions. who is to say just how differently his illness would have manifested itself without the fundamentalist messages hammered into him growing up? anyway, thats all i will say on that. a very good film for those that enjoy documentaries.

8.5/10
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm

It is really nice to see old Austin in it. It was a very engaging movie
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:14 am

I think someone saw the flick at SXSW and that's where the quote came from.

You can get some of his stuff on iTunes, including Fun, the record he released in '94 that I'm kicking myself for not getting. I used to play the shit out of "Rock & Roll/Ega" on my college radio station. When the record came out the story was that Capitol Records (I think) were all set to give him a sweetheart deal that would give him complete artistic control and essentially pay him in fistfuls of diamonds and hookers but at the last second he bolted and took a lesser deal with Atlantic who released it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Just caught this on a fluke last night. Wow, a very powerful and moving documentary. Daniel's art/music is pretty damn impressive (musically Bright Eyes would be the closest match) for someone as disabled as Daniel is. I've actually known people with Daniel's problems, but not to the severity that he has. In fact I lived with a guy for six months that I didn't know that well, and came to learn he was an undiagnosed manic-depressive. I felt bad for him, but also was a little afraid of him as well. I tried to help him with his outlook and attitude to no avail. I wonder what ever happened to him... I hope he found help and peace. At any rate, for those not very familiar with mental illness this is a must see. Actually, for those who are familiar this is a must see.

Vegeta gives The Devil and Daniel Johnston 5 out of 5 punches:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Excellent documentary about one of my favourite 'alternative' musicians. One of the top 10 best music docs ever made, IMO. I would highly recommend to everybody to make sure they die old and grey owning at least one Daniel Johnston album :D
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Vegeta wrote:for those not very familiar with mental illness this is a must see. Actually, for those who are familiar this is a must see.

100% agreement with you on that, dude. I suffer with mental illness (bi-polar depression and obsessive compulsive disorder) and it's very inspiring to see what someone with similar issues is capable of doing with their lives.

I'd also point you to Brian Wilson's autobiography. After you've read that, you feel you can conquer any problem in your life if HE could.
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Ribbons wrote:
WalterBunny wrote:

See I assumed that the picture was fake, but that his death was real. Err... whoops!

Anyway, still intrigued by this trailer and interested in seeing his life story, complete or otherwise.

Unfortunately, it now is. :P RIP Daniel Johnston, you beautiful bastard.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:11 am

Ribbons wrote:
Ribbons wrote:
WalterBunny wrote:

Unfortunately, it now is. :P RIP Daniel Johnston, you beautiful bastard.

Never heard of the guy, just watched that trailer, looks a bit to heavy for me. If I knew and liked the artist, I could watch a doc like that. There was a similar Kurt Cobain one a few years ago (on HBO I think) that seems like it was done in a similar style.

Did you watch this one, or are you just commenting on you miscue from a few years ago?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Movie Discussion