PRIMER

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

PRIMER

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:06 pm

Just seen this for the second time. WOW.

It's a film by Shane Carruth, very low budget but a huge concept. The less you know going on to this film the better but very briefly it's about two guys working who discover a way to loop time back on itself (uh, sort of). It's fiendishly complicated the first time through but second time the film becomes something of astonishing originality and intelligence. Immaculately constructed as my friend once said.

If you like films like Donnie Darko, Mullholland Drive, and 12 Monkeys you will adore this movie. It's not in the realms of the fantatstic, it takes place in our world but the ideas within the film are brilliant. It doesn't insult your intelligence and is deeply rewarding on subsequent viewings. Everyone should go see this or rent this RIGHT NOW.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:14 pm

I've got this in my Netflix queue. I hated Mulholland Drive (Not Falls; I edited to correct my typo. Thank you, Adam); people seemed to think the last twenty minutes were meaningful. To me they seemed an attempt to pull a typical Lynchian oddness out of the ass of the rejected TV pilot. Whatever. I guess I'm shallow.

Have you seen La Jetee? That's one I'd really like to get my hands on, but Netflix doesn't have it.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:17 pm

DennisMM wrote:I've got this in my Netflix queue. I hated Mulholland Falls

Mulholland Drive, you mean. Mulholland Falls is not a Lynch movie.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:24 pm

Adam Balm wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I've got this in my Netflix queue. I hated Mulholland Falls

Mulholland Drive, you mean. Mulholland Falls is not a Lynch movie.

Yes, yes. That's what I meant, as I was replying to Tony's reference. My fingers work without my brain. I am backing up to edit. Mulholland Falls is pretty bad, too, worse than Drive.
DennisMM

Postby The Garbage Man on Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:36 pm

I love Primer. It's one of those "I have to own that, if for no other reason than to show it to others" types of movies for me.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:10 pm

Dennis I have seen La Jetee, it's only a short film, it's basically a series of Black & White Photos with some music & narration, in a nutshell it's the same story as 12 Monkeys only more simple & more ambiguous.

Primer looks very good, I will check this out as soon as I get a chance.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:37 pm

Thanks, J-L. I've read about it but never met anyone who's seen it.
DennisMM

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:09 pm

DennisMM wrote:I've got this in my Netflix queue. I hated Mulholland Drive (Not Falls; I edited to correct my typo. Thank you, Adam); people seemed to think the last twenty minutes were meaningful. To me they seemed an attempt to pull a typical Lynchian oddness out of the ass of the rejected TV pilot. Whatever. I guess I'm shallow.

Have you seen La Jetée? That's one I'd really like to get my hands on, but Netflix doesn't have it.

Dennis I think you'll like Primer despite not liking Mullholland Drive. Lynch's film doesn't really give the answers no matter how many times you see it (well it didn't to me at least). With Primer the film jigsaws in wonderfully on a second viewing, to paraphrase Winifred Burkle "you just wait to hear the click".

My friends saw it for the first time tonight and there were moments where I literally had to put my hand in my mouth, to stop myself going "aha oh my word that's amazing I get it, I get it" It seems endlessly rewatchable to me.

Bluebottle did it take you a second go or were you up on it from just one viewing?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:16 pm

I've wanted to see this movie since it was first pimped on Henry's Film Corner.

There's a huge untapped market out there for low budget non-horror/monster SF films of ideas. Hardly anyone's doing it, and I can't figure out why. Look at Pi. Look at Eternal Sunshine. You don't even need special effects to do these.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:20 pm

The day of the horror flick is over. The era of Superhero and Fantasy has now begun....
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Adam Balm wrote:I've wanted to see this movie since it was first pimped on Henry's Film Corner.

There's a huge untapped market out there for low budget non-horror/monster SF films of ideas. Hardly anyone's doing it, and I can't figure out why. Look at Pi. Look at Eternal Sunshine. You don't even need special effects to do these.

YOU haven't seen Primer?

and to think I once respected you.

brilliant no-budget mindfuck of a film; as the esteemed Mr. Wilson has pointed out, it gets better with each viewing.

ya know, when I started pimping the idea of a Zoner Screenplay it was THIS movie I had in mind as a template.

for shame...SHAME!!!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:56 pm

I will see it. Fuck it, I'll buy it. Right now. Amazon.

Now shyaaat up.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:48 pm

DennisMM wrote:Have you seen La Jetee? That's one I'd really like to get my hands on, but Netflix doesn't have it.

I don't know if you've caught up with this yet, Dennis, but thanks to the miracle of YouTube La Jetee is now available for free on the Internets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvmJan17q8

As for Primer, well I, uh... haven't seen it :oops:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: PRIMER

Postby max314 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 am

The film barely stops to explain a damn thing. You really have to be on the ball to keep track of what's going on.

Watching it the first time, it started to become confusing from the second act onward. The third act was just completely disorienting.

Second time around, it made a lot more sense. Still think there's loads of little pieces to the puzzle that need to be put together, but it was a very satisfying experience and a reaffirmation of the power of smaller films.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Movie Narrative Charts (from XKCD)

(click to embiggen)

lol!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DennisMM on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:40 am

Reads about right to me. I really do need to watch this again.
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:32 am

I did look for a Primer thread for that XKCD pic, but Search(TM) came up with nowt.

This film is rather good. It's refreshingly complex (to the point where I can see it scaring some people away).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 pm

I will admit that I couldn't follow where all the timelines diverged. I still liked it a great deal
DennisMM

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:36 pm

DennisMM wrote:I will admit that I couldn't follow where all the timelines diverged. I still liked it a great deal

I think it was when the people sized Time Travel Tupperware boxes were built.

...but it could be that my future-self went back in time and made me believe that was what was happening.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:18 pm

So, Shane Carruth is having a very public meltdown on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/UpstreamColor

It's been going on for days. I can't tell whether it's drug-induced or if he's just crazy.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:56 am

Ribbons wrote:So, Shane Carruth is having a very public meltdown on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/UpstreamColor

It's been going on for days. I can't tell whether it's drug-induced or if he's just crazy.

Likely the reason for it: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/shan ... 234717339/
Maui
WoWie

Return to Movie Discussion