JoJo Rabbit

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

JoJo Rabbit

Postby so sorry on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 am

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:

This looks magnificent. Truly.

I'm calling it now: Jojo Rabbit is going to be this year's dark-horse Oscar nominee for Best Picture.

I watched this last night. What a truly great film. If you haven't yet, put this on the top of your list please. Fun, witty, heartbreaking, sad, maybe uplifting?

The bkid actor in this was incredible. ScarJo too. And Wakiti as JoJo's imaginary best fried was inspired. I despise Rebel Wilson, but jeez, even she was pitch perfect in this.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: JoJo Rabbit

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:53 pm

Coincidentally enough, I also watched Jojo Rabbit this past week. It was a movie that everyone in the family seemed to like for different reasons, which is exceedingly rare. As unusual as the gimmick is, it's not exactly breaking new ground -- The Producers took the piss out of Nazis with comic irreverence back in the '60s -- but since Nazis are suddenly a thing again, its arrival was well-timed. Despite what seems like controversial subject matter (a young German boy's imaginary friend is a propaganda-spewing Hitler! :shock: ), the tone is actually very good-natured. Taika Waititi has a very specific brand of offbeat humor that's always charming and unexpected. The comedy ropes you in, but there are quite a few emotional sucker punches in the back half of the film, including a big one that I took issue with. But the ultimate takeaway, that any perceived differences that drive us apart fall away when we get to know each other, is an optimistic and inspiring one. Plus it's always fun to watch Hitler get drop-kicked out of a window.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:04 am

Ribbons wrote:... but there are quite a few emotional sucker punches in the back half of the film, including a big one that I took issue with..

Explain!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am

so sorry wrote:
Ribbons wrote:... but there are quite a few emotional sucker punches in the back half of the film, including a big one that I took issue with..

Explain!

It's got something to do with shoes
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:25 am

Ribbons wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Explain!

It's got something to do with shoes

Well I figured you were referring to that scene (which gutted me btw), but why did you take issue with it?

Or was it becausethe girl put on the shoes at the end, pretending to be JoJo's sister?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:12 pm

Something about it didn't sit right with me. It's a striking image that Waititi clearly had in mind, as it's foreshadowed a couple times earlier, but it felt a little bit too much like a sucker punch, if that makes sense. The kid is so busy chasing butterflies that he doesn't notice his mom hanging from the gallows until he's standing underneath her shoes? Why is he chasing butterflies around a bunch of corpses to begin with? It's not that I have a problem with things going from comical to deadly serious, but it was so unexpected that I had a hard time even reacting to it. And then the consequences were never dealt with in a satisfying or genuine way. He immediately goes home and makes a halfhearted attempt to stab Elsa (even though it appears the distribution of propaganda was the reason they hanged Jojo's mom, not harboring a Jew), and then they move on and that's just sort of it. There's no deep sense of grief or loss, and he adjusts to his new life pretty effortlessly. But the primary function of that moment seemed to be to catch people off-guard, and in that sense, mission accomplished.

so sorry wrote:Or was it because the girl put on the shoes at the end, pretending to be JoJo's sister?

I actually really liked that moment, where Jojo ties Elsa's shoes, just like his mother used to do for him. He then gives her the same line about things outside being extremely dangerous before opening the door. It was a really subtle and sweet way of showing that he chooses to emulate his mom, rather than the imaginary Hitler he'd been trying to live up to the whole time.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion