THE MEG

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

THE MEG

Postby Fawst on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm

When the FUCK will this get made?!

Well, there's a story up on latinoreview.com that links to an L.A. Times story about the troubled history of the movie.

Oh, by the way, in case you're wondering: MEG is a novel by Steve Alten about a megalodon that comes out of the Marianas Trench to wreak havoc. Well, not specifically to do that, but that's what it does. Good book, ridiculous ending, but it'd be kinda cool to see in a film. It has two sequels, The Trench, starring giant crocs and sharks, and Primal Waters which is easily the best of the three and takes place on the set of a reality show about daredevils (on a pirate ship, no less!).

Back to the story. MEG has had a really long history of almost getting made, most recently with Jan de Bont as the director. Apparently a company is now looking to actually get the film made. They are responsible for getting Hellboy 2 going, so that's a plus.

Anyone else dying to see this?

Oh yah... scroll down and look for "Go Fish," "Killer Wave," and "Surfs Up."

Some nifty concept art for what could have been.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Dinna the Nick Nunna'ziata from a the CHUD, dinna he have a something to do with a this, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:50 pm

O-MEG?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:53 pm

sMEG?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Dinna the Nick Nunna'ziata from a the CHUD, dinna he have a something to do with a this, no?

He did, he was on as a producer. But then it fell apart at New Line, and that was that.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Image?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 pm

I remember reading about this back on Corona's Coming Attractions site or whatever the fuck it was called...

I think Renny Harlin was interested in this for awhile before he decided on Deep Blue Sea instead...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

MEG

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm

The story is kinda cool, though when they move forward with the other Giant creatures that come out of the trench....That would be the better film..

Giant Shark vs Giant Dinomonster!

Insted of a super Jaws
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:10 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Dinna the Nick Nunna'ziata from a the CHUD, dinna he have a something to do with a this, no?

Last I heard it was Nick that held the option on Meg. Don't know if that's still the case.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Joinus on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Has anybody heard any news about a film that was supposedly in the works a while back called "MEG"? It's about that huge prehistoric shark called a megaladon. I know that there was at least one crappy Sci-Fi channel movie made on the subject, but i know i read a couple years ago about a big screen version being made, with jan De Bont(Twister) directing and i think Thomas jane starring. Any clues? Thanx!
Joinus
Joinus
GLIB

Re: MEG

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:53 pm

You should head over to CHUD and ask those fuckfaces. I think one of them was attached as a producer at some point.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:07 am

In other news, Jason Statham to play deep sea diver (finally)!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74951
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:43 pm

I watched this movie the other day. I'd hoped that it would be bad in a fun way, but it turned out to just be bad in a bad way.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Ribbons wrote:I watched this movie the other day. I'd hoped that it would be bad in a fun way, but it turned out to just be bad in a bad way.

Fingers crossed the prequel will be better!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: THE MEG

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:53 pm

It's being made by Ben Wheately, an indie thriller director who's never done anything remotely like it in his life, so either it'll be a genre-defying success or a beautiful disaster.

One of the problems will be the return of Jason Statham. He's supposed to be a broken former diver haunted by a consequential act of cowardice, but he can only ever be Jason Statham.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion