MOVIES THAT NEED TO BE REMADE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:36 pm

Aw. You are so sweet, but you are too late.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm

THOSE PUTZES! Surely it's a gonna to be a the by a the numbers, eh?

Mine would have a been so much better...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Bean on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:42 pm

Dino, why not make yours and release it on the same date? It'd be no contest.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby MadCapsule on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:46 pm

I'm gonna say The Lost Boys, for the simple fact that all that 80's attire in it is downright painful to the eyes.
Last edited by MadCapsule on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:47 pm

the fly.

I want to see a remake of the origionals with Vincent Price. Take the same story of the Fly and Return of the fly, and make it into one film, about a son and father. Show the first film mostly in flash backs again, and all the while tell the story of the Return of the fly. I'd love it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Planet of the Apes - doesn't NEED to be remade, but the capability is now there to be closer to the source material.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Kilgore on Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:52 pm

I have long wanted to see a new version of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. And not a variation on the theme with Mr. Bean or Rich Hall in it...I'm talking about the same basic story, with top-shelf actors/comedians re-interpreting the characters...for the Spencer Tracy character, I'd look for Paul Newman, for the goofier characters, I would look for anyone that isn't Martin Lawrence, Owen Wilson (that half-stoned thing is getting grey, fast), and is definitely not Chris Kattan.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:05 pm

To get an ensemble cast of true top-class actors, something would have to give.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Kilgore wrote:I have long wanted to see a new version of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. And not a variation on the theme with Mr. Bean or Rich Hall in it...I'm talking about the same basic story, with top-shelf actors/comedians re-interpreting the characters...for the Spencer Tracy character, I'd look for Paul Newman, for the goofier characters, I would look for anyone that isn't Martin Lawrence, Owen Wilson (that half-stoned thing is getting grey, fast), and is definitely not Chris Kattan.

I'd almost rather see a new film in the world, with a brief cameo by Mel as mad max just to let us all know it is definatly in the world of mad max.
staring

Bruce Cambel
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Kilgore on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 pm

Fried Gold wrote:To get an ensemble cast of true top-class actors, something would have to give.

Yes I know, like egos and such...that's why any near attempts to make anything like that movie end up as 'Million Dollar Mystery' and such. I'm a fool for thinking that a bunch of high-caliber comic talent would actually use their skills to make something brilliant as a collaborative effort in this day and age, but one can dream.

But even if they tried something with second-tier folks looking for a big break-out, I'd go see at as long as they kept Robin Williams out.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:18 pm

I may get flamed for this, but I wish something could be done about "The Maltese Falcon." Bogart is perfect, but Mary Astor as the hot criminal vixen is just weak. She's not hot and not a good actress. She just doesn't do the character from the book any justice. I don't believe for a second that Marlowe would risk everything for her, or get sucked in by her. I'd like to see a really good modern-day actress dropped right into that film, but leave the rest of the performances intact - they're all perfect too (like Lorre and Greenstreet). Wishful thinking, I know. But who should play the girl?
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:33 pm

monorail77 wrote:I may get flamed for this, but I wish something could be done about "The Maltese Falcon." Bogart is perfect, but Mary Astor as the hot criminal vixen is just weak. She's not hot and not a good actress. She just doesn't do the character from the book any justice. I don't believe for a second that Marlowe would risk everything for her, or get sucked in by her. I'd like to see a really good modern-day actress dropped right into that film, but leave the rest of the performances intact - they're all perfect too (like Lorre and Greenstreet). Wishful thinking, I know. But who should play the girl?

A new Sam Spade would be good.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:36 pm

I'd love to see a remake of Rope. Shoot the whole thing in one, continuous take, all inside and apartment. Have the tensious ratchet up slowly, slowly, slowly until it builds to a crescendo. Could be really great.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby monorail77 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:49 pm

Shane wrote:
monorail77 wrote:I may get flamed for this, but I wish something could be done about "The Maltese Falcon." Bogart is perfect, but Mary Astor as the hot criminal vixen is just weak. She's not hot and not a good actress. She just doesn't do the character from the book any justice. I don't believe for a second that Marlowe would risk everything for her, or get sucked in by her. I'd like to see a really good modern-day actress dropped right into that film, but leave the rest of the performances intact - they're all perfect too (like Lorre and Greenstreet). Wishful thinking, I know. But who should play the girl?

A new Sam Spade would be good.

Crap, you're right. It was Sam Spade in that one. I got the name mixed up with "The Big Sleep" Of course, this doesn't make Mary Astor's performance any the better.
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Chief Redcock on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:53 pm

Natural Born Killers.

Such a great script. Such a great cast. Completely done in by its arrogant director.

I also always thought that Falling Down (with Michael Douglas) could've made a much better movie, had it been given a different director (damn Schumacher!).
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Kilgore on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Chief Redcock wrote:I also always thought that Falling Down (with Michael Douglas) could've made a much better movie, had it been given a different director (damn Schumacher!).

Agreed! As much as I love that flick, it's more for the tone and idea, and separate moments...remade by someone competent, it could be untouchable.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:55 pm

It's already been made three time. Why not one more?

Modern woman? I'd say Kathleen Turner circa 1985. Beyond that, I'm stumped at the moment.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DennisMM on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:38 pm

A movie that needs to be made properly is Doc Savage. If played seriously it would fit well into the current comic-book movie thang. Let's have an American for Doc, though. That Arnold crap had me very unhappy back in the day. It made little more sense than having him play Sgt. Rock.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby You Know My Name on Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:56 pm

They should re-make House of Wax again but this time cast Hillary Duff in the Paris Hilton role! YEAH!
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Eric G on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Dare I say it;

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

and

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

All great concepts that were stripped and raped of their integrity.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Explain the 'great concepts' in the Phantom Menace. I'm a Star Wars freshman, frankly I just don't see them.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:47 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:Explain the 'great concepts' in the Phantom Menace. I'm a Star Wars freshman, frankly I just don't see them.

Well, Darth Vader's arc in the prequels is beautiful storytelling. It'd just need to be cleaned up a little more. Also, the slow machinations of an evil genius manipulating his way into power always make for good cinema.

I love the prequels, but I'll admit they could've been stronger.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:56 pm

Highlander--I know it's a classic, but let's cast it with a real Scotsman in the Scottish role, better special effects and make it historically "accurate" (i.e. no Russians raiding Scotland!)

Bram Stoker's Dracula--again, it's classic, but I hate this movie. It's too campy, it's gory in all the wrong ways and the acting is atrocious. (Except Gary Oldman, but still...I wasn't a fan.) How can you title a film "Love Never Dies" and then make it the most repulsive Dracula film ever? And put Keanu "I have seen terrible things" Reeves in it?

And I want Tomb Raider redone to be the chick Indiana Jones/James Bond franchise it could have been. Forget Angelina Jolie. I volunteer for the boob job and the title role!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Hollywood_Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:03 pm

OK....just logged in after a fully day of flying accross the country to florida, so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet...but a film that if done RIGHT would kick total ass as a remake would be...Cannonball Run!!! You could have some of the old school and some new school (vince vaughn, steve carrol, etc) Running around like crazy...LOL classic
"The only way to rid yourself of tempation...is to yeild to it." Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_Bob
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:07 pm

I thought of a new one...Point of No Return which was our dumb remake of La Femme Nikita.

Bridget Fonda? Come on.

I suppose now it would just seem like a Kill Bill ripoff, or a movie Angelina Jolie turned down.

ETA: And King Arthur...or First Knight. To you know, actually be good King Arthur movies.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:11 pm

Kilgore wrote:I have long wanted to see a new version of It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. And not a variation on the theme with Mr. Bean or Rich Hall in it...I'm talking about the same basic story, with top-shelf actors/comedians re-interpreting the characters...for the Spencer Tracy character, I'd look for Paul Newman, for the goofier characters, I would look for anyone that isn't Martin Lawrence, Owen Wilson (that half-stoned thing is getting grey, fast), and is definitely not Chris Kattan.

I always play this what if casting game when I watch that film. Recently I thought Paul Giamatti would step into Phil Silvers' shoes nicely. Good call on Paul Newman. This would make a good thread.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Shane on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:25 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:
Bram Stoker's Dracula--again, it's classic, but I hate this movie. It's too campy, it's gory in all the wrong ways and the acting is atrocious. (Except Gary Oldman, but still...I wasn't a fan.) How can you title a film "Love Never Dies" and then make it the most repulsive Dracula film ever? And put Keanu "I have seen terrible things" Reeves in it?

once more I say Burton does a stop motion with Christopher lee voicing Dracula. I'd love to see dude in the assylum with the bugs and what not ashe breaks out in song with the bugs. It could be great stuff.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby monorail77 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:19 pm

DennisMM wrote:

It's already been made three time. Why not one more?

Modern woman? I'd say Kathleen Turner circa 1985. Beyond that, I'm stumped at the moment.

Good call on Kathleen Turner circa 1985. She pretty much hit that mark in Body Heat anyway. As for right now, probably turning to TV is a good idea. How about that woman who was in Sleeper Cell? Anybody see that?
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm

'The Godfather 3.' Because the other one was plain awful.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby fried samurai on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:48 pm

A couple films I thought werent really good but had a cool premise...

The Sentinal - I will say Dick Smith's fx still look amazing and I swear every actor who was in NY the day of filming had a cameo.Brad Anderson would be my choice to direct.The dude understands atmosphere and I dont think he'd rely on cheap cgi.

Mandingo - this film just begs to be remade by Todd Solondz.While the orginal is contraversial it played out like a TV movie.I'm sure Solondz's version would raise some eyebrows.

Clones Of Bruce Lee - this flick is cheesy and corny but cmon some dude clones a bunch of Bruce Lee's to fight crime.With the cgi available and someone like Stephen Chow at the helm this film would be a blast.
fried samurai
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby athenabodicea on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:43 pm

bump
The Black Hole.....
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Which Stephen King films would you remake?

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:48 pm

Following on from TheBaxters disgust with the latest King offering, it occurred to me just how many of King's film/TV offerings suck. not just "Meh", but really, really suck.

Now we all know the precious few that are good - by all means mention them here...but what I'm really interested in - in this age of the remake - is which of Kings books need an overhaul? Given a decent budget and a half-decent director I reckon a lot of them could be emade right now, without anyone crying "Foul".

Which one?
Who would you cast?
What needs to be done differently?

Over to you....
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:53 pm

I wish someone would get Salem's Lot right.
And not another made for tv crapfest - a full-on we-got-a-budget film.

Or especially The Stand - my favorite King book.
The miniseries was alright - excellant score by Snuffy Walden - but made-for-tv is NOT the way this one needs to be done.

Yeah, The Stand first.
Then Salem's Lot.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:56 pm

I'd say they're all up for grabs EXCEPT:

Stand By Me (don't ever f*ckin' touch this one)
The Dead Zone
Misery

I also kinda liked The Stand, but the ending sucked on ice (but then again, the endings to all of King's novels suck on ice as well!).
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:57 pm

I'd love to see someone take another swing at THE STAND. There weren't too much wrong with it first time around....but Flagg could have been better, more sinister...and the very end was pretty weak.

The Salems Lot with Hutch in was my very first ever experience of Stephen King - and I went out and bought the book a week later...so I've got a prettyskewed view of that....I'd probably be horrified if I saw it now...but I remember it fondly.

I alway thought THE LANGOLIERS could have been much better with some more money thrown at it...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:58 pm

Stand by Me is UNTOUCHABLE.

Very good calls there, St. Alphonzo.

Don't worry about the end of Th Stand - I'll tart it up proper... :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 pm

Yup - I'd go along with that.

I think Pennywise is there in all our minds as a pretty horrific creation - but I thought they dropped the ball in all other regards with IT.

TOMMY KNOCKERS and NEEDFUL THINGS as well.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I think Pennywise is there in all our minds as a pretty horrific creation - but I thought they dropped the ball in all other regards with IT.

Yeah, it would be cool to remake the second half of IT. And I'd remake that one where the cat-dude shags his mom.... CATS I think it was called.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Dreamcatchers. I haven't read the book the ending of that movie is fucking awful. I like most of the rest of it though. Definitely though the memory room and him being trapped in his head worked well. But I'd give it to someone like Peter Weir or Nic Roeg even.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:12 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:CATS I think it was called.

WEBBERILASH!

I always thought Sleepwalkers would have been better as just a 30 or 40 minute TV short...I remember liking the book a lot. Elaine Page is free however...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm

TonyWilson wrote:Dreamcatchers. I haven't read the book the ending of that movie is fucking awful. I like most of the rest of it though. Definitely though the memory room and him being trapped in his head worked well. But I'd give it to someone like Peter Weir or Nic Roeg even.

It's like the second half of that film was made by completely different people to the first half.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:28 pm

i'm already on the record as loving the original salem's lot. i also thought sleepwalkers was fun in a goofy way... i'm not even sure which book or story it was based on, so it might not be something worth remaking.

maybe it would be easier to list king films that don't need remaking: salems lot, carrie, christine, shining, dead zone, pet sematary (i'm looking at YOU, george clooney!)

the best king film to remake would be the stand. they oughta do it like LOTR or Kill Bill, film it as two movies simultaneously and release them a year apart or whatever, with a huge budget and do it right. this would only happen in fantasyland though.

the other is IT. just rewrite king's stupid space-bug ending, make it something really creepy and lovecraftian, and it could be really good.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:33 pm

TheBaxter wrote:maybe it would be easier to list king films that don't need remaking: salems lot, carrie, christine, shining, dead zone, pet sematary (i'm looking at YOU, george clooney!)

Apt Pupil, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Cujo....

Its my own fault...I meant to state a film for being remade, cast it and say what you would want to do differently.

Then I found I couldn't be bothered either and lapsed into List-itis mode... :oops:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Constant Reader on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:34 pm

I'd definitely go with IT. There's a lot of potential there, and although Pennywise was creepy, it could have been so much more.

CR
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Constant Reader
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:maybe it would be easier to list king films that don't need remaking: salems lot, carrie, christine, shining, dead zone, pet sematary (i'm looking at YOU, george clooney!)

Apt Pupil, Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Cujo....

Its my own fault...I meant to state a film for being remade, cast it and say what you would want to do differently.

Then I found I couldn't be bothered either and lapsed into List-itis mode... :oops:

yeah, i wouldn't remake any of those either... the first three because they're already good... the last because i thought the book was a dumb idea not worthy of being made in the first place
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:50 pm

Heh - its fair enough. Cujo isn't a film that would get made today - back in the seventies though a lot of the horrors and thrillers seemed to have quite a wafer thin premise. Dog Mad, Dog Bad.

I'd agree with the earlier comment about IT being redone in a more Lovecraftian way towards the end - that'd be good.

People remember the dodgy spider...but in the book, wasn't there also a cosmic tortoise? And there was that whole "If all the boys shag the underage girl, then their love combined will make them stronger" - nice line guys... :shock:
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:12 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of "The Shining" myself--something in between the genuine horror of Kubrick's version and the faithfulness to the book that the tv version had.

I second The Stand as well, that would be great to see done on the epic scale and without Molly Ringwald.

I STILL want to see "Bag of Bones" made into a movie.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:15 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of "The Shining" myself-

Please don't become a Hollywood exec.

Infact, can someone take her keyboard away for a bit?
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:18 pm

The Shining wasn't fucking scary. Wonderfully made, maybe, but about as scary as Lugz's ass.

... is that scary?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Do not touch Stand By Me.

ESPECIALLY do not touch Shawshank Redemption - it is one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

The others are up for grabs, to me. I'm not a big horror fan, so I don't really care about them.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion