MOVIES THAT NEED TO BE REMADE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Remake Tommy Knockers but KEEP Jimmy Smits!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:29 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Remake Tommy Knockers but KEEP Jimmy Smits!

Now I want YOUR keyboard :D
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:31 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:Remake Tommy Knockers but KEEP Jimmy Smits!

Keep him where? Locked in his trailer?

If they remake IT, the flying, fucked up, derelict fridge dwelling, blood sucking snails need proper attention.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:35 pm

it's true most of King's movies/tv specials do suck... but, i think that's what gives them their charm, dare i say?

maybe that's what stephen wants them to be - B movies. maybe not.

but i dig them, mostly. there are a few stinkers, but it seems to me, the ones that are stinkers weren't that great as novels/novellas either.

take the langoliers. creepy, maybe. but i didn't care for the story. i think The Library Policemen from that set would have made a much better movie.

that being said, i think there are some that could be made better. The Stand being one.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Langoliers - creepy idea, shit execution.

Dreamcatcher... was such a near-miss. Captured some of the insane intensity only to shit on it at the end.

How about some of his alter-ego penned novels? The Regulators, stuff like that?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Dreamcatcher... was such a near-miss. Captured some of the insane intensity only to shit on it at the end.

Bingo! Dreamcatcher has so much good stuff going for it, just re-do the last 20 minutes
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:43 pm

colonel_lugz wrote:
Lady Sheridan wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of "The Shining" myself-

Please don't become a Hollywood exec.

Infact, can someone take her keyboard away for a bit?

Oh, come on...Jack Nicholson was off his rocker BEFORE they ever got to the sinister hotel! You can't deny it renders the whole story a bit moot when by Thursday, he's glaring demonically out the window. :wink:

Kubrick's version will always be an awesome horror movie, but it's not much like the book. In some ways, that's good (I never found the book very scary) but in others its not...it really is a family tragedy, which Kubrick misses.

And the buck-toothed Danny and the horror that is Rebecca DeMornay ruined the television one completely...plus it's just too sugary.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:44 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:How about some of his alter-ego penned novels? The Regulators, stuff like that?

The day I almost killed Mr. Carlson was the third of March.

Rage. Love that story.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Vynson on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:49 pm

Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me... wonderful films that should never be redone.

Remake The Running Man. The movie was very unlike the book. Get Christian Bale and Darren Aronofsky and do it right.

King novel I'd most like to see made that hasn't been: The Long Walk.
Vynson
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lady Sheridan on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm

Oh and I want to see The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That had a real X-Files feel to it, I really dug it.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Get Brett Ratner to remake Shawshank.

But this time sexier and with more explosions.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darkjedijaina on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:56 pm

Lady Sheridan wrote:Oh and I want to see The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. That had a real X-Files feel to it, I really dug it.

I really liked that one, too.
darkjedijaina
BAD ASH

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:57 pm

OK - how about some funtime casting then? Lets start with THE STAND. Who you going to get this time around? For me Flagg is pretty key, despite his late arrival. But who else. No more Jon Ritter (RIP) - who I was never convinced was good for the role.

Moon.....MOON.......

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:00 pm

Adam West. He'll play a part.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Adam West. He'll play a part.

Oh man - I watched that "LookWell" the other day - another one of your pure gold finds my man. My favourite part was where he was just sitting on the couch sucking an ice popsicle listening to all the messages for his successful son-in-law :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:09 pm

So "Tha Redemption"

Directed by Brett Ratner

Starring Adam West as Andy Dufresne
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:18 pm

I definitely would like to see a new version of Apt Pupil, or at least a new ending that follows the ending of the novella.

The Long Walk is a brilliant piece of "small" writing. It's like a character version of Battle Royale.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby St. Alphonzo on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:20 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:

colonel_lugz wrote:Bingo! Dreamcatcher has so much good stuff going for it, just re-do the last 20 minutes

Am I the only person that thought Dreamcatcher was just an awful, awful book? It was the last King I've read (and probably the last King I'll ever read)... really, it was that bad.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby unikrunk on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:31 pm

The Running Man - although the ending in the short story may not sit well with some audiences -

Carrie - I can't stand Sissy Spacek. At all. And Travolta. Just, Travolta. Fuck that douche.

I would like to see a Creepshow 3

The Dark Half - I don't think I want it remade, just un-made.

Please me give the 100 episode animated Dark Tower series on HBO.

Please?
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:34 pm

DennisMM wrote:I definitely would like to see a new version of Apt Pupil, or at least a new ending that follows the ending of the novella.

The Long Walk is a brilliant piece of "small" writing. It's like a character version of Battle Royale.

They changed the ending to Apt Pupil? Oh thats weak....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Completely. SPOILERS!

The pupil doesn't crack and become a sniper shooting at random cars. Instead he begins to manipulate people. He threatens to expose a teacher as a child molester (which he is not) if the teacher doesn't stop giving him a hard time. Or something like that. I'm too lazy to walk ten feet, get the DVD, and put it in the player so I can watch the ending. :oops:
DennisMM

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:46 pm

DennisMM wrote:Completely. SPOILERS!

The pupil doesn't crack and become a sniper shooting at random cars. Instead he begins to manipulate people. He threatens to expose a teacher as a child molester (which he is not) if the teacher doesn't stop giving him a hard time. Or something like that. I'm too lazy to walk ten feet, get the DVD, and put it in the player so I can watch the ending. :oops:

MORE SPOILERS

From what you're telling me I'd be too put out by that to walk one yard to put it on. It consisitently gets such good write-ups too. The original ending to the short story I found to be horrific in the correct sense of that overused word. I didn't know what was worse - that the initial fascination cane from the boy and in turn reignited the Nazi's old passions...or the end effect that then had on the boy in turn.

Porbably a bit too unpalatable for Hollywood...or for Singer...which one do you think?

You'll be telling me there isn't a cat in the oven incident next...

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:49 pm

I don't remember. I doubt Julia would have the DVD in the house it it did. Maybe the cat is caught but doesn't go in the oven?
DennisMM

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Thats a shame if so (I love cats btw). Sounds much less than the book. I ought to watch it so I know what I'm talking about though :oops:

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MisterCynic on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:40 pm

its a damn well made movie, despite the changes.
MisterCynic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:52 pm

I was always creeped out by a short store called the Jaunt. Also Chattering Teeth would be an interesting short. And I'll be damned if Monkey Shines still does not freak me out. I always liked his short storeies better then the long ones anyway so I would go for another compilation movie like Creepshow with new short stories.

That or Insomnia. I really want to see the auras on the big screen. Could be the next Cocoon...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Kilgore on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 pm

The Talisman and Black House - I really couldn't care either way about remaking any of the other stuff, but those two need a good run - pretty much anything other than HBO miniseries won't cut either story, though.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:31 am

DennisMM wrote:I don't remember. I doubt Julia would have the DVD in the house it it did. Maybe the cat is caught but doesn't go in the oven?

From what I recall from the movie - the cat is caught, and stuffed in the oven with it on.

Or at least attempted to be stuffed in the oven.

MacKellan and the cat "struggle" a bit - then the cat ends up scratching him and escaping...

Nobody puts pussy in the corner...

And I've said it before and I'll say it again...I really like the first chunk of Dreamcatcher, right up until the "bathroom scene" is finished...then it went all downhill and to crap...

And they should remake Cujo with a CGI poodle...
Really, I mean we've already had other scary St. Bernard movies since then...like Beethoven...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Carolian on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:56 am

I gotta admit that I'm partial to the IT mini, just because Tim Curry freaked me out so bad when I was a kid... hell, my first avatar here in the Zone was Pennywise, so that should tell you all you need to know.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to a remake, though, but ONLY! ONLY! If Tim Curry reprised the role. No one else could ever be Pennywise

I'll throw in another vote for THE STAND, though... apart from a few cool moments, the movie did NOT stack up to the book.
The whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.
Carolian
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby JabberJaw on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:49 am

They just recently did a TV movie for Desperation that was rather bad...Loved the book, think it could be a good movie if done correct.

I also think Geralds Game would make avery cool movie
ImageImage
JabberJaw
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:50 am

Has anyone cracked the joke by saying Shawshank Redemption yet? :-) just a thought... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 am

havocSchultz wrote:And they should remake Cujo with a CGI poodle...
Really, I mean we've already had other scary St. Bernard movies since then...like Beethoven...

Scooby Dooby Cujo?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
DennisMM wrote:I definitely would like to see a new version of Apt Pupil, or at least a new ending that follows the ending of the novella.

i liked the different ending. to be fair, i saw the movie before reading the story. strangely though, the book ending seemed more like a movie ending, and the movie ending seemed more like a book ending.

i think turning the kid into a mindless killer in the book was the easy and obvious way to go. turning him into a manipulative, conniving sociopath was much creepier if you think about it. it better illustrates the theme about how evil lives on and passes from one generation to the next. there is a lot more evil done in the world by smart devious people out of selfishness, then by all the crackpot psychos in the world. it even ties in better with the nazi theme; hitler himself wasn't a killer, it was his ability to manipulate others into doing his killing for him on a massive scale that made him so evil. if hitler had started taking potshots at cars, he never would've ended up orchestrating the holocaust.

the kid in the book ends up like the next son of sam. the kid in the movie ends up more like the next dick cheney. i ask you, which one would you find scarier and more evil?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Hearts Of Atlantis - Because they removed the Dark Tower links.
Dreamcatcher - Because of the Duddits/Alien link and the lack of emotion brought into any of the characters.
The Stand - Because the tv version is cheesy and the ending sucks (book version too). Really.. the Hand Of God!?!? Please.
It - More TV cheese.
Salem's Lot - The 70's version is creepy in its own way, but the Rob Lowe version gives me gas. Callahan dies?! I think not, bitches.

Keep Mick Garris away from all Stephen King projects. His results all look like cheesy low-budget disasters. I don't care if King likes that B-Movie look. When I read his books, I don't have a B-Experience.

If they do The Talisman/Black House, do it right. Find the right outlet (tv, cable, movie) and don't be cheap either in production, script writing, direction, or acting. Don't remove anything from the stories that make them worth reading. And don't skip the Dark Tower references in Black House.

Dark Tower - If it's done, it needs to be done right (see above). I don't care if it's live action or animated, but if it's animated it needs to make all Asian animation houses AND Pixar AND Dreamworks AND Square all say "Holy shit, that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.". If it's live-action, find a way to make Jake not age. I think HBO is the best place for this series.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:29 pm

The Graveyard Shift. A shoddy and cheap effort of one of my favourite King stories. A remake by Raimi wouldn't go amiss.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Al Shut on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:47 pm

I still feel petty positive about a Pet Sematary remake. But I demand full attention to the story of the man who brought back his dead son, a missed oppurtunity in the original in my opinion.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby minstrel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:48 pm

silentbobafett wrote:Has anyone cracked the joke by saying Shawshank Redemption yet? :-) just a thought... :-)

Sure. It needs to be remade as a musical. Call it "Shawshank!"

Get John Travolta to play Andy Dufresne. Will Smith could be Red, and he could also supply the hip-hop theme. Randy Newman could write some songs for it. Mel Brooks, too.
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:09 pm

i saw The Mangler a few weeks ago. probably the worst King film ever made. i would suggest a remake, except the idea of a demonically possessed killer laundry machine is even dumber than cujo.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:54 pm

Vynson wrote:Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me... wonderful films that should never be redone.

Remake The Running Man. The movie was very unlike the book. Get Christian Bale and Darren Aronofsky and do it right.

King novel I'd most like to see made that hasn't been: The Long Walk.

The long walk for sure. I'm just dying to see some stupid jock try to dry hump some high school tart and get a shot gun to the back of his head for the trouble.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:27 pm

i just want to say that the amount of love that dreamcatcher is recieving here absolutely boggles my mind.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm

Brocktune wrote:i just want to say that the amount of love that dreamcatcher is recieving here absolutely boggles my mind.

I thought the book (audiobook) was good, but it's much more than the movie presented to the audience. The book made you care about the characters and, more importantly, their relationship with Duddits. The scene where Duddits is picked up at the end was SO much more emotional in the book. In the movie, the same scene had no impact at all. Morgan Freeman's character is SO much more of an impact character in the book as well. Granted, the reader of the audiobook may have had a lot to do with my personal interpretation of that, but he was weaker in the movie.

But the worst sin of that movie is the ending. After that, I fully expected to see "Written and Directed by Mick Garris" pop up on the screen.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Brocktune on Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:40 pm

Fievel wrote:
Brocktune wrote:i just want to say that the amount of love that dreamcatcher is recieving here absolutely boggles my mind.

I thought the book (audiobook) was good, but it's much more than the movie presented to the audience. The book made you care about the characters and, more importantly, their relationship with Duddits. The scene where Duddits is picked up at the end was SO much more emotional in the book. In the movie, the same scene had no impact at all. Morgan Freeman's character is SO much more of an impact character in the book as well. Granted, the reader of the audiobook may have had a lot to do with my personal interpretation of that, but he was weaker in the movie.

But the worst sin of that movie is the ending. After that, I fully expected to see "Written and Directed by Mick Garris" pop up on the screen.

i guess i should have specified the movie, not the book. especially as i havent read the book. so yeah, the movie.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:00 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:The Graveyard Shift. A shoddy and cheap effort of one of my favourite King stories. A remake by Raimi wouldn't go amiss.

I'd pay outrageous bucks to see Raimi tackle ANY King story. Just to see what he would do with it. That would be totally tits.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 pm

The Vicar wrote:I'd pay outrageous bucks to see Raimi tackle ANY King story. Just to see what he would do with it. That would be totally tits.

I'd pay outrageous bucks to see Raimi tackle a midget.
That'd be friggin' sweet.
But it would have to be a true hard hit.
No pussyfooting here, Sammy, you have to TAKE THAT BITCH DOWN!!!!
:oops:
Excuse me.

But I agree - to see him do any of King's work would be a good thing.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 pm

The Vicar wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:The Graveyard Shift. A shoddy and cheap effort of one of my favourite King stories. A remake by Raimi wouldn't go amiss.

I'd pay outrageous bucks to see Raimi tackle ANY King story. Just to see what he would do with it. That would be totally tits.

I'd pay big money to see Raymi tackle a King story too...

Like this...

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:53 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i saw The Mangler a few weeks ago. probably the worst King film ever made. i would suggest a remake, except the idea of a demonically possessed killer laundry machine is even dumber than cujo.

A. The worst King adaptation would probably be the The Monkey section of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders which is a great MST3K episode. It's so bad and the fact that King isn't credited still makes me wonder if he is even aware of this adaptation.

B. What's wrong with Cujo? If nothing else it is one of the more realistic "horror" films based on his stories being that it's just a vicious, rabid dog...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:44 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:

i liked the different ending. to be fair, i saw the movie before reading the story. strangely though, the book ending seemed more like a movie ending, and the movie ending seemed more like a book ending.

i think turning the kid into a mindless killer in the book was the easy and obvious way to go. turning him into a manipulative, conniving sociopath was much creepier if you think about it. it better illustrates the theme about how evil lives on and passes from one generation to the next. there is a lot more evil done in the world by smart devious people out of selfishness, then by all the crackpot psychos in the world. it even ties in better with the nazi theme; hitler himself wasn't a killer, it was his ability to manipulate others into doing his killing for him on a massive scale that made him so evil. if hitler had started taking potshots at cars, he never would've ended up orchestrating the holocaust.

the kid in the book ends up like the next son of sam. the kid in the movie ends up more like the next dick cheney. i ask you, which one would you find scarier and more evil?

I hear you - good points one and all. I guess my reading had been more tha that is exactly what the Nazi had done...turn the kid into his latest mindless killer. The kid taking over the mantle is a creepier concept....does it work in the film though?

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:38 pm

Maximum Overdrive should never have been made in the first place.
A remake?
Please no.
Ever.
The Vicar

Postby athenabodicea on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I'd love to see another remake of Salems Lot.. But not a made for television version (needs much more gore than the tv rating will allow) & for the love of Zod can we please not cast Rob Lowe or Steve Weber????
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby The Vicar on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:00 pm

athenabodicea wrote:I'd love to see another remake of Salems Lot.. But not a made for television version (needs much more gore than the tv rating will allow) & for the love of Zod can we please not cast Rob Lowe or Steve Weber????

PLEASE?????

We're asking real nice.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion