MOVIES THAT NEED TO BE REMADE

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:18 pm

Meet the Fockers
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:19 pm

I don't know what to think about Witherspoon. Sometimes she looks hot, sometimes I don't get what the appeal is either.....
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:20 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:I don't get what the appeal is either.....

Watch a the "Twilight" anna you will understand, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:22 pm

She was also inna the movie called "Freeway" which was a the crazy take onna the Little Red Riding Hood, eh? It's a pretty good satire too...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:22 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:I don't get what the appeal is either.....

Watch a the "Twilight" anna you will understand, eh?

Okay, old man. I'll take your word for it and check out Twilight.

EDIT - And Freeway.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:15 pm

Salem's Lot

Pete's Dragon

Black Hole.......... You know how you remember some movies being really really cool as a kid but then rewatch the movies & see how bad they really were???? This was one of those for me....

Ten Commandments

Hulk.....................
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:06 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Fog... I hear it sucks, eh? They should a remake that one too...

Yeah, HK's review was...well...there's not a lot of gray area here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=21562
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:17 pm

Time Bandits

and Cat From Outer Space :wink:
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:48 pm

Sometimes though it isn;t straight forward. How about classic movies that are just so good, that have so many things going right for them... yet lack in some department or other?

I recently saw The Dirty Dozen for the first time, and I fell in love with it. It had a brilliant cast, a fantastic escalating premise, and some great characters in there too...

...yet for all the elements that make it a classic, there is definate weaknesses... despite the storyline, the first half of the movie - the training phase - is much more entertaining than the actual mission.

The mission itself was a bit of a let down, although the grenade down the air vents idea is brilliant, it messilly done, with tacky gunfights.

It feels cheap, there's no denying it. Especially the transition to the final scenes via the planes n parachutes and in particular, the very abrupt written in 90 seconds ending.

It's one of those things that if remade, could really be imrpoved by some great cinematography, set design and locations. Yet how could you match that cast?

Are there even equivalents of ...Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, Ernest Borgnine, Bronson, Savals and Sutherland in Hollywood now?
Last edited by Flumm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:07 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:The Phantom Menace

Seriously, ROTS just needs to be retitled Episode I and Episodes II and III need to be remade to show Vader kicking ass all across the galaxy.

Most truthfull post ever.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:09 pm

It's like that in all Training/Mission films Flummy dude. Think about it, all these films are much more entertaining in the first half;

Full Metal Jacket
Armageddon
Uncommon Valour
Space Cowboys
er... Rhinestone
The Magnificent Seven I think too.

My mate was asking me who to cast in a Remake of The Magnificent Seven. We did come up with great names, some of the best actors today even, but like you said, dunno if they are the equivalent of the stars of these original films.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:09 pm

George Lucas said something about that. Was that in the Wired interview where he said that fans wanted episode iii to be episode i. Well, if it were, there would be no need for a tv series to do what we thought the prequels were supposed to do.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:14 pm

Before we get into a heated debate (read that as, a big hateful argument where friends end up falling out with each other and killing each other and their families) about SW, let me just say that the Prequel trilogy was about the fall of Anakin to Vader, and nothing afterwards. It's more interesting, and nothing more really needs to be said (maybe a short section of him hunting donw some Jedis with Boba Fett, but only a hint of the Jedi purge beginning). The character of Vader was done in the OT.

So just leave it awright? Just leave it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Adam Balm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:23 pm

I understand and agree with that to a certain extent. I understand the symmetry. The PT is about the fall, the OT is about the redemption. But still, alot of stuff like the creation of the rebellion and what not was stuff we thought we were getting, and didn't.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:24 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Before we get into a heated debate (read that as, a big hateful argument where friends end up falling out with each other and killing each other and their families) about SW, let me just say that the Prequel trilogy was about the fall of Anakin to Vader, and nothing afterwards. It's more interesting, and nothing more really needs to be said (maybe a short section of him hunting donw some Jedis with Boba Fett, but only a hint of the Jedi purge beginning). The character of Vader was done in the OT.

Where is you're family. I must kill them.

:twisted:

No no no...

Actually I kid of agree with you Kirk. I think that in premise, the idea of following Anakin from child to Darth Vader works. I can really see why they chose to do it that way. It's just not all that compelling on film, as it in is in theory. :
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:53 pm

El Topo.

Vampire Hunter D, Wicked City, Ninja Scroll...all live action. (yeah, I know there's a Wicked City live action from HK)

The Killer, the way Tsui Hark wanted to cast it...3 female leads. But change nothing else (allright, maybe some more camera moves instead of static shot's of flunky carnage).

Metropolis only with the adjusted budget of $200mil...directed by Aronofsky or Proyas.

Johnny Mnemonic and New Rose Hotel. Those two films could not have been worse.

The Ring 2...just do the Japanese version like y'all did in the first film. And shoot Ehren Kruger repeatedly in the face if he asks to be allowed anywhere near this.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Before we get into a heated debate (read that as, a big hateful argument where friends end up falling out with each other and killing each other and their families) about SW, let me just say that the Prequel trilogy was about the fall of Anakin to Vader, and nothing afterwards. It's more interesting, and nothing more really needs to be said (maybe a short section of him hunting donw some Jedis with Boba Fett, but only a hint of the Jedi purge beginning). The character of Vader was done in the OT.

Ok, fine. But what the fuck does episode I show about the fall of anakin to vader? That they found him as a child? That he has midichloreans? That he can pilot a fast craft? Total waste. Then they should move ATOC to Episode I, and expand his love for Pamda/turnabout to Palpatine in Episode II and have a bigger, kick ass-er Anakin/Kenobi battle in a remade Episode III.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:37 am

They should remake Serenity every year until they get it right (meaning it grosses $150 million domestic).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Eric G on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:59 am

Ben Hurr?

The Godfather?

The Entire Star Wars Saga

The two Matrix Prequels

..... am I making my point?

Dear Hollywood,
Forget remaking movies and just write your farkin own!. how about using the brain that Satan gave you and start writing something with a bit of originality. Doesn't have to be much....just a bit. But you've gone and fucked that up now as well haven't you? The next bright idea to come out was comic/cartoon adaptions! And why not!? After all, it was only the natural evolution for studio execs with no fucking clue. There a SO MANY novels you can adapt to film, so get off your chunky asses and read them!

Yours faithfully,
Up Yours.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:12 am

Good point about the Matrix "prequels". WTF.

But on that note, it would be nice to remake the Matrix SEQUELS. My ass still hurts from that gang rape.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:22 am

Oh, were you there too Burl?

I got a right rogering............
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:02 am

Here's a the original idea... I donna think a this one has a been filmed a yet, eh?

Some scientist, he uses a the science to create a something that soon gets out of a his a control anna endangers the peoples lives, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:04 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Here's a the original idea... I donna think a this one has a been filmed a yet, eh?

Some scientist, he uses a the science to create a something that soon gets out of a his a control anna endangers the peoples lives, eh?

I would like to see this same idea realized, but with someone who might be involved in the occult instead. Original, no?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby so sorry on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:05 am

Eric G wrote:Ben Hurr?

The Godfather?

The Entire Star Wars Saga

The two Matrix Prequels

..... am I making my point?

Dear Hollywood,
Forget remaking movies and just write your farkin own!. how about using the brain that Satan gave you and start writing something with a bit of originality. Doesn't have to be much....just a bit. But you've gone and fucked that up now as well haven't you? The next bright idea to come out was comic/cartoon adaptions! And why not!? After all, it was only the natural evolution for studio execs with no fucking clue. There a SO MANY novels you can adapt to film, so get off your chunky asses and read them!

Yours faithfully,
Up Yours.

My point of starting this thread was to come up with some movies that Hollywood got WRONG that can be made RIGHT. your examples are the exact opposite (i'm ignoring the Matrix prequels, cause that ain't right at all).
so get off your soapbox already...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:07 am

Hollywood got From Justin to Kelly wrong on so many levels, but I don't want them to try to get it right either...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:13 am

Did anyone ever see a TV movie that came out in the early 80s called Dark Night of the Scarecrow? When I was a kid I fucking LOVED this movie. It had Larry Drake playing yet another retard who runs afoul of the small town elders for his alledged part in the rape (?) or molestation of a little girl. Larry runs from these hombres which is lead by that sexpot Charles Durning. Eventually Larry hides inside an old scarecrow in a corn field and while he is there he gets totally blown away by shot gun blasts.

Anyway, a year later, a scarecrow starts stalking the town elders... chaos and random old lady death ensue. Anyway, I have always loved the premise and think it would make a fucking fantastic big screen horror movie.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:14 am

Burl, I believe that you brought this up in the old scary movie thread. While I haven't seen it, I think the premise is great and I'd definitely go see a big screen remake in the theater.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:16 am

Sorry to be repetitive, but I am totally bummed that the movie isn't available AT ALL!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:20 am

Hey, no need to be sorry, you just reminded me to add that to the list of movies that I need to hunt down and see if I can find a copy of. I meant to go looking for that after the scary movie thread, but I got sidetracked.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am

thomasgaffney wrote:I meant to go looking for that after the scary movie thread, but I got sidetracked.

Yet another hapless consumer dissuaded by Grannies and Trannies 8.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:25 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Sorry to be repetitive, but I am totally bummed that the movie isn't available AT ALL!

That's a because it was not a the movie... it was REAL! IT WAS REAL!!!

(CUE SPOOKY MUSIC)
ooooooWEEEEEEEEOOOOOOoooooo........
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:26 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Yet another hapless consumer dissuaded by Grannies and Trannies 8.

Okay now THAT'S a the Grade-A material, no? Nice one paisan!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:I meant to go looking for that after the scary movie thread, but I got sidetracked.

Yet another hapless consumer dissuaded by Grannies and Trannies 8.

I only just got done Grannies and Trannies 7. But how can they make an 8? Grannie number 2 died at the end. Unless.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:31 am

Man, this is totally bad ass. I have been checking eBay for a couple of years hoping that a DVD copy of Dark Night of the Scarecrow would pop up. Well it has! There is a region 0 DVD and I am pretty sure its just a dub of a VHS copy, but I bought it anyway. I only wish I had checked sooner. Having horror movie night with a friend of mine tomorrow and it would have been awesome to bring this since I talk about it all the time!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:36 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Yet another hapless consumer dissuaded by Grannies and Trannies 8.

I'm just temporarily filling in for Alonzo... he hasn't been the same since the ban from the main site, and as a fellow 3rd shifter I've regrettably witnessed the fall of a once, um, ... witnessed the fall of a guy, who would've made this joke had he been his own normal self. Here's to you, big guy!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:39 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:

I'm just temporarily filling in for Alonzo... he hasn't been the same since the ban from the main site, and as a fellow 3rd shifter I've regrettably witnessed the fall of a once, um, ... witnessed the fall of a guy, who would've made this joke had he been his own normal self. Here's to you, big guy!

I haven't been on the main site in a while, nor have I been in the LFN/ESM thread... Alonzo got banned from the main site? What for?
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:41 am

Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:46 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Well, see for yourself muchacho:
http://wooderson.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=15617&highlight=herc+banned

Thanks for the link, Pacino. Damn, that sucks.....
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:32 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:that sexpot Charles Durning

Now there's something you don't hear everyday...
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:40 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:

Really? I hear it everyday.... Maybe it's just you.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:00 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:

no wonder I don't see that nebula in my bedroom... :wink:
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:33 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
thomasgaffney wrote:
keepcoolbutcare wrote:

no wonder I don't see that nebula in my bedroom... :wink:

IPAMPILASH!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Eric G on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:04 am

My point of starting this thread was to come up with some movies that Hollywood got WRONG that can be made RIGHT. your examples are the exact opposite (i'm ignoring the Matrix prequels, cause that ain't right at all). so get off your soapbox already...

I was just taking the piss mate. But if you want me to take things seriously.....I demand a remake of Superman II
The original director, Richard Donner was fired after reportedly finishing over 70 percent of the film before his replacement, director Richard Lester took the project's reins. Lester reshot the bulk of Donner's footage and even slipped in a great deal of that mysterious and groan inducing campiness. In the end, we have a film where an accomplished director exits and his replacement is clearly in over his head. Donner deserves his version, with HIS director's credit. Lester had his take, now the original master of the series needs his vision realized. Somewhere out there is Donner's true version.....a better film than we've known exists. Some of it has scenes with Marlon Brando which Bryan Singer is using in Superman Returns.
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:50 am

An ultra violent remake of Alien vs Predator.

Godzilla '98 only this time make it exciting with lot's of monster fights.
I'd want Michael Bay on this one. Nobody makes big crazy explosions as good as he does.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:29 am

No film should ever be remade. Are books re-written? No. (Koontz's take on Frankenstein doesn't count).

Instead of remaking a particular film (like, for instance, the totally unecessary and just nigh blasphemous planned remake of The Wild Bunch), I would prefer to see filmmakers invest their talents into crafting original films which explore similar themes or portray similar situations from a new viewpoint.

The orignal Wild Bunch was a thinly veiled allegory of the Vietnam War. Why not a western that is a thinly veiled allegory of the US's latest foreign policy disaster / imperilaist aggression -- the Iraquagmire / Endless War? I'd be first in line! But a Wild Bunch remake? No fucking thanks. They're gonna turn it into Young Guns. (Made you cringe there didn't I?)
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:39 am

Zapped, I can't get enough Zapped. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD AND HOLY, CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE REFUCKING-MAKE ZAPPED!!!!!
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:13 am

Horror films these days are lame in appearence and have such an unscary feel to them, in the way they are shot and simply the way they look. Too clean, polished and simply without grit or with a sense of ugliness that should be there.

Was watching Halloween H20 last week and it just reminded me of I Know What You Did last Summer, and all so called horror films of that ilk, Scream etc. The production values look to clean and expensive even.

The cheapness of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of the things that made it work. Can't comment on the remake. I heard it looked either suprisingly good/or too clean compared to the original.

Even films which are trying to be more horrifying and gory than these (poor! - sorry couldn't think of any better) examples have this 'comfortable' feel to them.

That's why I doubt that Dark Night of The Scarecrow - or other remakes of 70s, 80s horror movies that you used to get down at 2001 video in the 80s - will be as scary. We live in too much of a PC movie environment today. Not much is genuinely horrific.

Or am I being a miserable git today?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Yes.

By the way, I received my Dark Night of the Scarecrow region 0 DVD, and I have to say, for an early 80s TV movie, it is still surprisingly effective. And Charles Durning is a bad bad man.

In all the right ways.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bean on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:21 pm

The Hatchet TV movie needs to be redone, that series could be great films if done right.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:33 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:And Charles Durning is a bad bad man.

In all the right ways.

Burl, I gonna to remake a the "When a Stranger, he Calls, eh?" just a for you, no? Only inna 'stead of a the Carol Kane as a the Babysitter, it's a gonna to be some up anna coming cub that a you like, eh? Anna when a the police call onna the phone anna say "the calls, they coming from inna the house a you putz! Get outta the house... Get OUTTA THE HOUSE!" anna the cub babysitter, he run downstairs anna rips open a the door, anna Charles Durning is a standing there, anna he gonna say "did a somebody, they order a the pizza?" Anna then a the fun, she gonna to begin...

Just a for you.
DinoDeLaurentiis

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion