...and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (spoilers!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

How awesome is the new Indy film?

4%
12%
15%
21%
17%
9%
11%
3%
1%
3%
The Last Crusade was the LAST friggin' crusade, I ain't watchin' this!!!
No votes
Waiting for the Special Edition DVD with extended Cantina/Jabba's Palace scenes
4%

Total votes : 75

Postby Nordling on Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Because I'm hearing feedback from people that I respect. And I love Harry to death, and his enthusiasm is certainly contagious. I'm just wary after the Prequels of posible deflated emotions. But there's some people who are less than overwhelmed.
Last edited by Nordling on Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 pm

captainbrose wrote:
Nordling wrote:I'm having my expectations lowered. That's actually probably a good thing. Quint's review keeps my excitement in check. But it seems to me, the more reviews I read, the less thrilled I become. I'll see next weekend.

all the reviews have been pretty much positive...why would you become less thrilled?

It's possibly better to keep the expectations low and end up really enjoying the film then to keep them high and end up feeling that Indy 4 was lacklustre.

Worked for me with Fantastic Four. I thought it was going to be a pile of shit but it ended up being ok, because I had my expectation dragging as low Ape's knuckles.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm

hhhmmm, papa capitalizes the word "Ape"............i wonder what the significance is.....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Harry and Quint both have reviews up for this. I have a feeling I'll agree with Quints review more than Harry's.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun May 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Grande Rojo and Quint both have reviews up for this. I have a feeling I'll agree with Quints review more than Grande Rojo's.

Seriously does anyone on this site put any stock in Harry's reviews?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun May 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Grande Rojo and Quint both have reviews up for this. I have a feeling I'll agree with Quints review more than Grande Rojo's.

Seriously does anyone on this site put any stock in Harry's reviews?

sure, when it is a FF movie or anything by Ratner.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 18, 2008 10:34 pm

yeah, objectivism is not one of Harry's strong suits.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby captainbrose on Sun May 18, 2008 11:23 pm

papalazeru wrote:
captainbrose wrote:
Nordling wrote:I'm having my expectations lowered. That's actually probably a good thing. Quint's review keeps my excitement in check. But it seems to me, the more reviews I read, the less thrilled I become. I'll see next weekend.

all the reviews have been pretty much positive...why would you become less thrilled?

It's possibly better to keep the expectations low and end up really enjoying the film then to keep them high and end up feeling that Indy 4 was lacklustre.

Worked for me with Fantastic Four. I thought it was going to be a pile of shit but it ended up being ok, because I had my expectation dragging as low Ape's knuckles.

not what I was talking about. I agree you can keep expectations low. But the person I quoted seemed to be losing interest from what they already had as positive reviews came in. At that point, it sounds like they are looking for a reason to dislike the movie.
captainbrose
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 18, 2008 11:46 pm

I can't take Harry's reviews seriously. It's all or nothing with him and he is very biased.

That's why I prefer Moriarity and Quint.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Sun May 18, 2008 11:55 pm

You're right - although I do kind of enjoy Harry's enthusiasm and excitement in this instance - sometimes little detail and lots of evident enjoyment is just what I want to hear.

I'm keenly awaiting Mori's review, even thought I was kind of disappointed by some of the reasoning in his recent Speed Racer write-up - he's not above employing that kind of 'If you don't like this, there's something wrong with you' reductionist argument.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Sun May 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Quint's review will probably match own, if I see this. I'll probably like well enough like TLC, but I'll disappointed that it isn't the thrill-a-minute the first two movies were and plays things too much for laughs.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby tapehead on Mon May 19, 2008 1:57 am

Mori's review is up.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 19, 2008 3:19 am

His review gives me hope, but one thing Moriarty and Quint both say is that they liked it, but didn't love it.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Moriarty on Mon May 19, 2008 3:49 am

tapehead wrote:You're right - although I do kind of enjoy Harry's enthusiasm and excitement in this instance - sometimes little detail and lots of evident enjoyment is just what I want to hear.

I'm keenly awaiting Mori's review, even thought I was kind of disappointed by some of the reasoning in his recent Speed Racer write-up - he's not above employing that kind of 'If you don't like this, there's something wrong with you' reductionist argument.

There's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't like SPEED RACER. If they've seen it.

What I hate are people who adamantly argue with me that something is "shit" based on a trailer.

One of my best friends... the godfather of my son and the exec producer of my next film... went with us to SPEED RACER at IMAX, and he didn't care for it at all. I didn't have to insult him over it. He just didn't see the same qualities in it that I did, so we can agree to disagree about it.

That's what makes art so much fun. No wrong. No right. No hate. Just debate.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 am

The trailer makes me feel the film's gonna be shit! People who love it are absolute tools!

/sidles out of thread

(oh and Mozza, at least take a little look at the TLC versus TOD thread, I think you'll enjoy it)
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby judderman on Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 am

Moriarty wrote:
tapehead wrote:You're right - although I do kind of enjoy Harry's enthusiasm and excitement in this instance - sometimes little detail and lots of evident enjoyment is just what I want to hear.

There's nothing wrong with someone who doesn't like SPEED RACER. If they've seen it.

What I hate are people who adamantly argue with me that something is "shit" based on a trailer.

One of my best friends... the godfather of my son and the exec producer of my next film... went with us to SPEED RACER at IMAX, and he didn't care for it at all. I didn't have to insult him over it. He just didn't see the same qualities in it that I did, so we can agree to disagree about it.

I think that's a bit unfair Mori. The whole point of trailers and reviews is to allow people to decide whether or not they will find going to a movie enjoyable. I know I will not like Speed Racer for a number of reasons; first, I am exactly the kind of cynical bastard who doesn't fall for kitsch charm; second, I can't drive and hate cars; third, I do not and never have liked Japanese children's cartoons; fourth, I do not like all-CGI films with human actors. If you're going to go all CGI, go all CGI; don't try to tell me that your world is real. Finally, I am not a fan of the Warshowski brothers. I didn't even like The Matrix all that much. Am I wrong to pre-judge my enjoyment of this film based on what I have seen?
Last edited by judderman on Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
judderman
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby tapehead on Mon May 19, 2008 6:30 am

Moriarty wrote:

No hate intended Mori - I don't much like the look of Speed Racer from what I've seen, but a few really positive reviews such as yours and those of a few Zoners have made me think I might dig it (hasn't opened here yet); that there will be evidence of a lot of thought put into the dazzling graphics and lensflare hysteria of the race scenes. When you say 'I’m sure plenty of critics will fall all over themselves to prove how cool they are by attacking the CGI or by lambasting the film for being so cartoony, but more than anything, I pity them. It must be rough knowing that your inner child is dead and buried,' it doesn't seem like you're allowing for someone with an informed opinion who has seen the movie to pan it, but for the most part I chalked it up to your enthusiasm for the movie at the time. Speed Racer, like the new Indy, already has my money, and in both instances it's been the positive reviews in the Zone and on the main site that have tipped the scales for me. With Speed Racer, I still have doubts I'll love it, but even if I hate it, I appreciate that that's a matter of taste, not a problem with me as a viewer.
Last edited by tapehead on Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 6:34 am

I can't convince anyone to see it with me based off the trailers and advertising and more a damning indictment on the marketing and overall look of it putting people off.

If it's really as good as some say it is, that's a shame.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 am

judderman wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

I think that's a bit unfair Mori. The whole point of trailers and reviews is to allow people to decide whether or not they will find going to a movie enjoyable. I know I will not like Speed Racer for a number of reasons; first, I am exactly the kind of cynical bastard who doesn't fall for kitsch charm; second, I can't drive and hate cars; third, I do not and never have liked Japanese children's cartoons; fourth, I do not like all-CGI films with human actors. If you're going to go all CGI, go all CGI; don't try to tell me that your world is real. Finally, I am not a fan of the Warshowski brothers. I didn't even like The Matrix all that much. Am I wrong to pre-judge my enjoyment of this film based on what I have seen?

you're not wrong, but your inner child is dead......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 7:24 am

Don't leave it in there too long, it starts rotting after a while.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Zarles on Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 am

judderman wrote:I think that's a bit unfair Mori. The whole point of trailers and reviews is to allow people to decide whether or not they will find going to a movie enjoyable. I know I will not like Speed Racer for a number of reasons; first, I am exactly the kind of cynical bastard who doesn't fall for kitsch charm; second, I can't drive and hate cars; third, I do not and never have liked Japanese children's cartoons; fourth, I do not like all-CGI films with human actors. If you're going to go all CGI, go all CGI; don't try to tell me that your world is real. Finally, I am not a fan of the Warshowski brothers. I didn't even like The Matrix all that much. Am I wrong to pre-judge my enjoyment of this film based on what I have seen?

Fine, but does your non-interest mean that the movie itself isn't any good? Hardly. I think that's what Mori's trying to say.

I have zero interest in the 'Sex & the City' movie. Does that mean that it's not going to be of any quality at all to the fans of that show who have waited years for it? Not at all.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Well there's the rub. Do studios spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie to please just the fans or do they hope to widen the audience? If you're going to spend that kind of money, you have to appeal to people who don't know who the fuck Speed Racer is. I think Warner Bros. failed on that front.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 pm

WRONG THREAD FOOLS!
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Mon May 19, 2008 1:35 pm

AAAAHHH!!!! RABID COW!!!! :shock:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 2:53 pm

The Zone - the only place where the cow does the ropin'.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Well, from what I've read on the main page the reviews for IJ4 seem to be positive. I personally throw out Harry's since he had his typical "shaking with tears of joy" crap. I wish he would realize it is impossible for anyone to take him seriously when he writes reviews like that.
My biggest concern is the "green screen" shots. A concern I always have if Lucas is involved. So far the jeep fight is getting rave reviews, but I must admit the shot they show in the TV trailer (where Shia and Cate are sword fighting) looks obviously green screened. I hope the actors don't look as "stand outish" on the big screen as they do in that brief flash on the small screen.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah! I'm pleasantly surprised by the reviews, honestly. Many of the positive ones that I've read are qualified to an extent, but that's expected. Honestly, I expected from the very early buzz that it would be getting raped right about now by the critics...but I guess that goes to show you what early buzz is worth.

I'm still worried, heh, i'm sure i will be until I see it, but i have a little less trepidation than I did a week ago.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 19, 2008 3:12 pm

I am "cautiously optimistic" as well.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Vegeta wrote:Well, from what I've read on the main page the reviews for IJ4 seem to be positive. I personally throw out Grande Rojo's since he had his typical "shaking with tears of joy" crap. I wish he would realize it is impossible for anyone to take him seriously when he writes reviews like that.
My biggest concern is the "green screen" shots. A concern I always have if Lucas is involved. So far the jeep fight is getting rave reviews, but I must admit the shot they show in the TV trailer (where Shia and Cate are sword fighting) looks obviously green screened. I hope the actors don't look as "stand outish" on the big screen as they do in that brief flash on the small screen.

I don't think really writes reviews for anyone than himself, his style's never really changed in years. Only difference is he's hardened and not so easily swayed anymore if people call him on something - if he enjoyed it, he enjoyed it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 19, 2008 3:17 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Vegeta wrote:Well, from what I've read on the main page the reviews for IJ4 seem to be positive. I personally throw out Grande Rojo's since he had his typical "shaking with tears of joy" crap. I wish he would realize it is impossible for anyone to take him seriously when he writes reviews like that.

I don't think really writes reviews for anyone than himself, his style's never really changed in years. Only difference is he's hardened and not so easily swayed anymore if people call him on something - if he enjoyed it, he enjoyed it.

That may be... however his "tears of joy...ect" statements just get my :roll: going. If you know what I mean :wink:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby travis-dane on Mon May 19, 2008 3:23 pm

I dont know......I am getting a little tired by H@rry's "everything" is great reviews.....
Mori's sounds good,but I think I found what I've been waiting for over at CHUD......

Look for yourselfs(if you dare....)

DEVIN's review....
http://chud.com/articles/articles/14781/1/REVIEW-INDIANA-JONES-AND-THE-KINGDOM-OF-THE-CRYSTAL-SKULL-DEVIN039S-TAKE/Page1.html

NICK's review.....
http://chud.com/articles/articles/14780/1/REVIEW-INDIANA-JONES-AND-THE-KINGDOM-OF-THE-CRYSTAL-SKULL-NICK039S-TAKE/Page1.html

Let's see who's right.....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 3:30 pm

If you don't like Harry's reviews, don't read them. But at least respect him for opening this site in the first place!

Harry's reviews aren't about what's "wrong" or "right". He is a total geek for films. He really ONLY ever looks for positives and gets a real downer if he can't find any. I respect that, he's an upbeat guy who looks for the good in everything.

There are other reviews on the site. Of course, as the site owner, people look forward to his reviews. He can talk crap. But I think with the above in mind you have to take everything with a pinch of salt and go along for the ride, which is what makes reading his oft hilarious mis-steps such joy - because the joy, no matter how off-base he can get, is genuine.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby travis-dane on Mon May 19, 2008 3:42 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:If you don't like Grande Rojo's reviews, don't read them. But at least respect him for opening this site in the first place!

Grande Rojo's reviews aren't about what's "wrong" or "right". He is a total geek for films. He really ONLY ever looks for positives and gets a real downer if he can't find any. I respect that, he's an upbeat guy who looks for the good in everything.

There are other reviews on the site. Of course, as the site owner, people look forward to his reviews. He can talk crap. But I think with the above in mind you have to take everything with a pinch of salt and go along for the ride, which is what makes reading his oft hilarious mis-steps such joy - because the joy, no matter how off-base he can get, is genuine.

I love H@rry,he can write great reviews(BLADEII),but I have noticed that he has "geekgasms" a little to often....

H@rry is the kind of dude,who should sleep over his impressions first and let a movie sink in,he gets to carried away sometimes.
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Vegeta on Mon May 19, 2008 3:45 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:If you don't like Grande Rojo's reviews, don't read them. But at least respect him for opening this site in the first place!

Grande Rojo's reviews aren't about what's "wrong" or "right". He is a total geek for films. He really ONLY ever looks for positives and gets a real downer if he can't find any. I respect that, he's an upbeat guy who looks for the good in everything.

Okay... :?
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Aint it a joy though?

It's nice to know someone, somewhere, still has a kid in them.

... er...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Jumpman on Mon May 19, 2008 5:31 pm

At least with Harry, you get the sense that he wants to like every film he goes sees. Behind the hyperbole of his views, he wants to like everything he sees. He wants every film to be good to great.

You can't say the same for the guys over at CHUD. I'm sorry, but they come in with agendas. It pretty damn evident in most of the big films that get released every year that they reviewed.

They pretty much championed Iron Man from the get go and it wasn't a surprise that everyone over there went nuts for it. It's a great flick, no doubt but best superhero film ever made...absolutely not. It's not Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins, or even X2 on a lot of levels.

And, I'd also argue that, in terms of spectacle and action, the Wackowski's Speed Racer kicks the living shit out of Iron Man, bar none.

I liked Harry and Mori's review of Indy IV, especially Mori's. It sounds about what I thought the film was going to be.

I don't mind a bit of bias but the guys over there are pretty ridiculous in their bias/agendas.
The boy you trained, gone he is. Consumed by Darth Vader.

-Master Yoda; Episode III Revenge of the Sith
Jumpman
GLIB

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 22, 2008 4:27 am

RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Vicarious on Thu May 22, 2008 4:51 am

Absolute crap. I don't have the several hours it would take to list all my grievances.

It's this year's Spider-Man 3.

It's this decade's Phantom Menace.

It's stock, pointless, and boring. But my dad and my brother kinda liked it. Sort of. So, there's that.

4/10
Eye on the TV, 'cause tragedy thrills me...
Vicarious
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 22, 2008 5:09 am

I've read half the TB so far and it seems either people think this movie disappoints or they liked it, but still don't think it compares to the '80s films. Even among those who like it, they admit that nostalgia plays a factor and there's a common complaint about CGI, stupid jokes, and the ending of the movie. Ugh.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby doglips on Thu May 22, 2008 5:17 am

I've just read the whole TB :shock:

Gotta say I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

The negatives seem uniform as you pointed out, Rogue. The positives are all over the place though so I know there will be plenty to enjoy in KOTCS.

I've been hoping Indy would finally journey into this kind of story, so I cannot wait for all the over egged exposition.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby travis-dane on Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 am

Most of the TBers seem to hate it!
Thats no surprise,but the movie got many harsh reviews..
Maybe it is really shit.
I will not watch it in a Cinema,since I dont wanna give George Lucas one Dollar of my money to carry on with his madness!
I know it will not make a difference if I watch it or not,BUT George Lucas has lost everything that made him great once....sad...
:P
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Evil Hobbit on Thu May 22, 2008 6:33 am

It's already in IMDB's Top 250. Not that Iron Man belongs there, but still...
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Thu May 22, 2008 6:44 am

There's nothing wrong with Iron Man? It's a straightforward actioner with a lot of spirit and a great lead! Just because it doesn't stare into its boots for a while pretending to have "character" doesn't mean it's not a film people can love equally, if not more, than the greats.

I took a look at the KOTCS TB. I can't wait to see it now.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby beastie on Thu May 22, 2008 8:13 am

Not reading your posts. Won't see the flick until Saturday. BUT, oh my GOD!!! I found a video of the secret lyrics to the theme song to Indiana Jones. This is incredible. Watch it.
http://gizmodo.com/392495/indiana-jones-theme-secr et-lyrics-uncovered
beastie
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Peven on Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 am

for those who care about this sort of thing......with 138 reviews counted over at RT, Indy and the Crystal Skull is at 80% fresh

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 22, 2008 9:35 am

Wow...

Can't believe they kill off Indy only an hour in...

Oh well...

But seriously...
I don't think it's crap...

I got a couple of big concerns...

First of all, what the fuck?!?!?
No title card?
Just some words typed across the screen...

It's Indiana Fucking Jones...
I wanna see the big Indiana Jones title card come up...

Some small cheers and claps when Indy makes his first appearance...

The acting/performances and chemistry for the most part works...

Marion is not in it very much, but she has a bit of spark in her scenes with Ford...

The action is, for the most part, Spielberg doing what he does best...

The warehouse scene I'd say is the best...
The motorcycle chase has its moments...

And Shia's big scene overall works...except for the damn monkeys...
And still, nobody can take and give a punch like Harrison...

Major complaint, like many have already stated, is the ending...

I looked at my phone once to see the time (moreso because I usually can't make it through an entire movie without my legs getting sore and uncomfortable), and that was right around the waterfall scene...

From there to the end I just lost a lot of interest...
Maybe it's cause in the end, I didn't really care about the actual quest or the skull or what-not...which I guess is unfortunate...

I won't get into any specific details...because you will all see it soon enough...

I still think it'll do huge business...

And I've been catching snippets of Last Crusade and Temple of Doom on TV over the last few days, and (if it's actually any surprise) this film is most in tune to Crusade...
In the fact that it's more geared towards the entire family...
It never gets too dark or heavy...
And if Spielberg didn't have such a deft touch, moments could border on absurd/slapstick...

Which is understandable...
After 20 years, they're not gonna try something new, and dark, and different...they'll go a bit safe and nostalgic...it couldn't really be helped in this case...unless they had never gone the re-tread the series route in Crusade, and just had different adventures each time ala Doom...so I can't really blame them for that part of it...

But, no matter what complaints I had (or will possibly have upon eventual viewings), I still recommend as many of you see it as possible...

I hate to sound cliche and/or hash up what others have said...
But as a straight forward adventure film, compared to any and all imitators/competitors (especially you National Treasure 2...yeah...I watched you a couple days ago...you knew I'd reference your sorry ass) it's still above and beyond...

I can't properly fit it into the Jones series of films yet because I'll need it at least one or two more times at some point...

I'll give it a 7...
I would love to give it more...
And thinking back, at some things, I could rate it higher...

But common sense must weigh in...

7 is not bad...
But where the majority of the films I see will fall in between an average vote of around 6-8...7 is nothing spectacular...

I will stop and talk about a couple of the leads...

Harrison, of course, slips right back into the hat & the whip like he's never been gone...
His intro is short, and sweet, and makes us believe that this fucker is still going strong...

He's a war hero...he still teaches...but he's still doing what brought him to the dance...
I like it that it wasn't some "come out of retirement" for one last job plot point...

It does make it a bit more believable that somebody his age can still be doing this stuff...and doing it quite well...
Save for the warehouse/swinging short of the truck gag, Indy's still quite competent...

I like it that when he has the hat and the full Indy outfit on, he actually doesn't look that aged...
If you don't look to close to the grandpa creases in his neck, he looks aged and weathered...but in professor mode, probably because you can really see the gray hair and just more of the face, he looks old...

And like Mori said in his review...it's nice to see Harrison Ford back...
Not one of his many robot clones that he's been using for years...

Say what you will about Shia...
The kid's a fucking gold mine...

Yes, Spielberg is basically giving the kid blockbusters and fame on a silver platter...
But, I'll admit, I'm almost a believer...

Moments of Shia'ness creep through into the performance...
And, if you've come to the point where you already have moments of yourself being talked about in your performances, than you've either been making too many films, or you've left an impression...

I wasn't annoyed with him...
And he held his own standing with Harrison...
And, like I mentioned above, his "hero scene" (save for moments of shoddy cgi, and a lame gag with monkeys) was pretty cool and thrilling. And he ended up being believable enough...

I don't know...
I know this is more of a ramble than anything else...

But as I talk/write, something else will pop into my head...
Either positive or negative...

John Hurt plays the role that John Hurt plays in most films...in some variation or another...nothing new...nothing special...but nothing horrible...he'd probably still be interesting at his own funeral...so I can't really complain about him...but hopefully you do (or will) know what I mean...

Jim Broadbent has like 2 scenes...
Nothing to really shine in...
But once again, he also plays off Harrison well...

I think one of the things that made Harrison such a popular star/actor, is that the way he performs, and the choices he makes, it just seems to either carry the people around him, or it causes them to just be better...

But he does it subtle...He's tired...weary...broken down...but calm...and cool...and he just seems to have the sort of personality (not just as Indy, even though it shines through most with that...but when Harrison really just tries...)that others are drawn to and bounce off with ease...

What I'm trying to say is that even if everything else was crap, the fact that Harrison Ford truly IS Indiana Jones in this film, would still earn it some positive notes...

Blanchett was fine...
But I never really feared the Villains that much in this one...
The one Henchman that Indy has a couple of fights with was probably the best of the bunch...

Oh well...
That should cover it all for now...

And I'm sure I'll continue to pop in once more people have seen it and expressed their thoughts...

There's always more stuff I remember (for good and for bad) once others starting speaking up...

So yeah...
Go see it...
Sit back and smile whenever you hear a punch or a whip crack...
And try not to judge it too harshly...

I know it's almost impossible to judge it on it's own...
But it's worth a try...

And if you happen to leave about 20/25 minutes early...no big deal...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am

Where's the damn poll...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu May 22, 2008 9:45 am

havocSchultz wrote:I looked at my phone once to see the time (moreso because I usually can't make it through an entire movie without my legs getting sore and uncomfortable), and that was right around the waterfall scene...

You should really learn that seats are made for sitting, not straddling.

havocSchultz wrote:Where's the damn poll...?

inna my pants!
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 22, 2008 9:47 am

That's a great review havoc, thanks for writing!

EDIT: Poll is up!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:I looked at my phone once to see the time (moreso because I usually can't make it through an entire movie without my legs getting sore and uncomfortable), and that was right around the waterfall scene...

You should really learn that seats are made for sitting, not straddling.

It was those fucking kids...
If they didn't want me sitting on them, they should've believed me when I said it was reserved...

Oh, I forgot to mention, I did notice at least one person dressed up as Indiana Jones...right down to baler twine rolled up to signify a whip...

Alas, no one was dressed as In Diana Jones...

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:Where's the damn poll...?

inna my pants!

In that case...
Mark me down for a vote of 3...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion