...and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (spoilers!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

How awesome is the new Indy film?

4%
12%
15%
21%
17%
9%
11%
3%
1%
3%
The Last Crusade was the LAST friggin' crusade, I ain't watchin' this!!!
No votes
Waiting for the Special Edition DVD with extended Cantina/Jabba's Palace scenes
4%

Total votes : 75

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 pm

The Vicar wrote:Some people's great expectations regarding Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just seem to have been ridiculous.

Oy... After reading through this thread, I think it's just the opposite. Seems like most people went in hoping AGAINST hope that the movie would be good, and then found it disappointing. I know my expectations were severely limited, and the movie still didn't manage to meet them.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Nordling on Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 pm

See, necessity calls for improvisation. In RAIDERS, people seem to forget, it didn't have a very high budget, and that was intentional. Spielberg, after the bloat of 1941, wanted to get back to his lean (and Lean) filmmaking roots. No more than 2 or 3 takes, and move, move, move. To this date, I think RAIDERS is Spielberg's shortest shoot, and he actually brought it in underbudget and early. He was extremely focused as a director, even when half the crew (and Harrison himself) came down with dysentery.

SKULL is bloat. People keep saying it's not fair to compare it to RAIDERS because it's more than 25 years later, but I disagree. If Spielberg has improved over the years as a director (and I think he has), there's really no excuse for it. It's the work of a director who is seriously disengaged from the film, with the exception of key moments. Yeah, Ford's older, but there's still nothing wrong with using a real stuntman doing real stunts. Maybe it won't be as easy to swallow since Indy's older, but I'd rather have that then the pushing into complete unreality because CGI allows it. People do their best work under restraint, and there wasn't any kind of restraint in this movie.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Maui on Tue May 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Maui wrote:What about the action in the warehouse? The running across the beams in the ceiling. The swinging from the ceiling.

The motorcycle chase where the stuntman is crawling out of the car window back onto the bike.

That was pretty cool.

I agree, that was probably one of the coolest shots in the entire film. Way better than anything in the entire jungle jeep chase.

It was. Bike chase was the best part of the movie for me. I love the part when they go crashing thru all the library tables, Jones answers the student's question, then he says "you need to get out of the library to be a good archaeologist" or something like that. :)
Maui
WoWie

Postby Vegeta on Tue May 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Maui wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Maui wrote: What about the action in the warehouse? The running across the beams in the ceiling. The swinging from the ceiling.

The motorcycle chase where the stuntman is crawling out of the car window back onto the bike.

That was pretty cool.

I agree, that was probably one of the coolest shots in the entire film. Way better than anything in the entire jungle jeep chase.

It was. Bike chase was the best part of the movie for me. I love the part when they go crashing thru all the library tables, Jones answers the student's question, then he says "you need to get out of the library to be a good archaeologist" or something like that. :)

The bike chase had me all sorts of jazzed for what KOTCS could be. Then the rest of the film slowly and methodically killed that buzz of joy for good. :(
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Maui on Tue May 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Vegeta wrote:
The bike chase had me all sorts of jazzed for what KOTCS could be. Then the rest of the film slowly and methodically killed that buzz of joy for good. :(

Well they had the warehouse scene, then the motorcycle chase. Notice I didn't include the lead lined fridge bit.

The 3 waterfalls well I just laughed. Everyone laughed in the theatre. We are supposed to laugh. Just like when we laughed when Willie, Indy and Short Round survived the dinghy dropping from the plane. It's suppose to be absurd. Right?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Lady Sheridan on Tue May 27, 2008 5:59 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Maui wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Maui wrote: What about the action in the warehouse? The running across the beams in the ceiling. The swinging from the ceiling.

That was pretty cool.

Agreed on all counts. I actually forgot that there was something I *liked*, because it was ultimately so forgettable. I didn't care for the warehouse scene so much, but the motorcycle chase is definitely as old-school Indy as the movie got. That was fun, and at that point I thought "Oh -- maybe this IS going to be ok! Indy has his spark back!"

And then it never continued. I know that I was someone who didn't want the film to be made, and who had extremely low expectations. But I honestly didn't go in sharpening my knife, I was hoping to be proved wrong. It doesn't make me happy to be right, not when it comes to Indiana Jones.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Zarles on Tue May 27, 2008 9:37 pm

so sorry wrote:
Zarles wrote:Why is everyone suddenly so obsessed with maintaining realism in Indy movies?

well, not "everyone" who is criticising Indy4 is crying over realism Zarles. And to be fair, it was probably obvious before you ever saw this movie that you were going to love it, so perhaps you may be a little obsessed with defending it.

But I didn't love it. I've said that multiple times, so throwing the 'you were going to love it anyway' argument at me doesn't work.

I just don't get why it's perfectly alright for Indy to run away from hundreds of thousands of gallons of water and survive by hanging on with his fingertips on the edge of a sheer cliff, or to take out an entire truckful of armed Nazis by himself, or stuff a freaking ROCK into a tank barrel and have it blow up Bugs Bunny-style, but it's not alright for him to stuff himself into a refrigerator and escape a big-ass explosion. What's next - wanting to examine Indy's medical bills to see if he was injured properly as a result of his antics?

There's a lot of stuff to pick apart in this movie, but personally, I don't think the refrigerator scene is one of them. I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue May 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Fair enough Z-man, no reason to get into it with you (PS I loved your call on LS HATING it!).

I think time will tell (here in the Zone) that a good bit of the Zoners who ranked it above a 5 on our poll will eventually admit that they were clicking with their geek hearts, and not their heads... mental note: create a new poll 10 years from now to compare to!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Vegeta on Tue May 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Zarles wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Zarles wrote:Why is everyone suddenly so obsessed with maintaining realism in Indy movies?

well, not "everyone" who is criticising Indy4 is crying over realism Zarles. And to be fair, it was probably obvious before you ever saw this movie that you were going to love it, so perhaps you may be a little obsessed with defending it.

But I didn't love it. I've said that multiple times, so throwing the 'you were going to love it anyway' argument at me doesn't work.

I just don't get why it's perfectly alright for Indy to run away from hundreds of thousands of gallons of water and survive by hanging on with his fingertips on the edge of a sheer cliff, or to take out an entire truckful of armed Nazis by himself, or stuff a freaking ROCK into a tank barrel and have it blow up Bugs Bunny-style, but it's not alright for him to stuff himself into a refrigerator and escape a big-ass explosion. What's next - wanting to examine Indy's medical bills to see if he was injured properly as a result of his antics?

There's a lot of stuff to pick apart in this movie, but personally, I don't think the refrigerator scene is one of them. I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie.

Big ass explosion?!?!?!?!?!?! That was a freaking NUCLEAR BLAST! The entire town was reduced to ash, but somehow the Fridge blew out of town and landed more or less unscathed like 5 miles away... yeah :roll:
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby tapehead on Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 pm

We live in an accelerated culture:

Nuking the fridge t-shirts.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Vegeta on Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 pm

tapehead wrote:We live in an accelerated culture:

Nuking the fridge t-shirts.

:shock:

Wow, that was fast... This generations "jumping the shark".
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue May 27, 2008 11:21 pm

Vegeta wrote:
Zarles wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Big ass explosion?!?!?!?!?!?! That was a freaking NUCLEAR BLAST! The entire town was reduced to ash, but somehow the Fridge blew out of town and landed more or less unscathed like 5 miles away... yeah :roll:

Well the fridge WAS lead lined...

We just did not see the other fridges falling to earth from all the other houses.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Zarles wrote:
so sorry wrote:

We just did not see the other fridges falling to earth from all the other houses.

*hands no-prize*
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Maui on Tue May 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Who cares about the fridge really? What about all that food Indy wasted by throwing it onto the floor. Geesh! :roll:
Maui
WoWie

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 27, 2008 11:36 pm

Maui wrote:Who cares about the fridge really? What about all that food Indy wasted by throwing it onto the floor. Geesh! :roll:

That's probably how I would have chosen to go out if I was in his position: sitting on the floor of the house and stuffing my face with as much food as I possibly could.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby JpPrewitt789 on Tue May 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Maybe.....MAYBE the company who BUILT that refrigerator were the ones who were doing the bomb testing in the first place, just so they could see if THEIR fridge could stand up to a nuclear holocaust. Needless to say, they made quite a sturdy product.
JpPrewitt789
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed May 28, 2008 12:04 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
Zarles wrote:
so sorry wrote:

*hands no-prize*

Yay!! You like me!!! You really like me!!!!
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 am

hahaha, the fact that we're talking about lead-lined refrigerators and whether snakes can practically be used as a rope-substitute is exactly why i simultaneously love and hate this place. :lol:
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed May 28, 2008 12:10 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:hahaha, the fact that we're talking about lead-lined refrigerators and whether snakes can practically be used as a rope-substitute is exactly why i simultaneously love and hate this place. :lol:

We could always argue about Spitting on Jedi vs Xmen's grave...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 28, 2008 12:13 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:hahaha, the fact that we're talking about lead-lined refrigerators and whether snakes can practically be used as a rope-substitute is exactly why i simultaneously love and hate this place. :lol:

did someone say "grave"?

anyone wanna hear any Steve Irwin jokes??
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

The more I read this thread the less hope I have for this movie. I may just skip it completely.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

did someone say "grave"?

anyone wanna hear any Steve Irwin jokes??

That reminds me of this funny time I had at a funeral...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed May 28, 2008 12:29 am

Oh how I miss Lupe/
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Zarles on Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 am

Indy should've just called a cab to get out of town. Or started twirling his whip around his head and turned himself into a human helicopter!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 am

so sorry wrote:Fair enough Z-man, no reason to get into it with you (PS I loved your call on LS HATING it!).

I think time will tell (here in the Zone) that a good bit of the Zoners who ranked it above a 5 on our poll will eventually admit that they were clicking with their geek hearts, and not their heads... mental note: create a new poll 10 years from now to compare to!

haha, well at least LS has some taste.

SS, I would bet $50 you're right about those admissions!
Lord Voldemoo

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 am

Just wait for it to hit DVD. Oftentimes with movies like these, people get caught up in the experience of seeing it with a likeminded crowd, etc. But then the cold reality of DVD hits and they watch it in the privacy of their own home and wonder where the magic went.

That was my experience with the Star Wars prequels and some other flicks.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 am

I was similarly duped by ATTACK OF THE CLONES. That scene where Jango Whatsisfett was chasing Obi through the asteroids and shitting out those depth charges or whatever gave me a raging sixteen year-old boner. I didn't realize how shitty the movie really was until later.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

...and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (spoilers!)

Postby bastard_robo on Wed May 28, 2008 4:49 am

You know what.. I rated this thing an 8.. and I just came all the fuck way from WESTWOOD (UCLA) and I LIVE IN ORANGE COUNTY to see this again!

And guess what, I liked it even more than the first time around.

Yes, the movie is still flawed, but to me, its still a good indy movie. Its no Raiders, but then again, nothing will ever touch Raiders, like nothing will ever touch NEW HOPE.

I still hold it at an 8, and I really think that sans the Alien plot device, and Marion's joker grin, theres a lot of nitpicking at this movie that really shouldnt be.

If Raiders were to be made today, and we had NEVER had a "Raiders" esq movie before, of course CGI is going to be used. WHY? Because you get shots that you couldn't do practically! I think the CGI is great when its used in this film!

but for some one like LS, I can see why its a frustrating movie. Expectations are wanting. I felt the same way when the AMERICAN GODZILLA film came out ten years ago (jesus god.. its been that long) I remember being so goddamn frustrated and disappointed with it.

That same feeling was met with CLOVERFIELD. Lots of people loved it, and those who hated it, really hated it. I was angry with the wasted potential of the film, and I think thats were the main greif with this new indy is coming from. The potential for one thing, only to be handed another..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Simon Quinlank on Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 am

Zarles wrote: Or started twirling his whip around his head and turned himself into a human helicopter!

But think of the realism...won't somebody think of the realism.

That wouldn't be realistic enough for the Indiana Jones films. He should've filed some paperwork with the local council and hired a solicitor to cover his legal issues with the university.
I AM THE KING OF ALL HOBBIES
Simon Quinlank
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Zarles on Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 am

Simon Quinlank wrote:
Zarles wrote: Or started twirling his whip around his head and turned himself into a human helicopter!

That wouldn't be realistic enough for the Indiana Jones films. He should've filed some paperwork with the local council and hired a solicitor to cover his legal issues with the university.

And then filed an injunction against the fake city to stop the nuclear explosion before it took place. What were they thinking allowing a nuclear explosion in the middle of town, anyway? Who's in charge here? I demand answers.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 28, 2008 9:49 am

the lack of realism has nothing to do with my problems with the film. it's the lack of fun and entertainment value, at least through the 2nd half.

i had no problem with the refrigerator escape scene. in fact, it was so over-the-top in it's ridiculousness and UNrealism that that was part of what made it so fun for me. it was like lucas and spielberg were daring us to be grumps and complain about the unrealisticness of it, like saying "if you can't just sit back and enjoy this and forget about 'realism' then you're in the wrong theater, buddy!" to me, it was no more ridiculous than indy outrunning a flood or plunging from a plane in an inflatable raft. that's why i enjoyed that part.

but there were other things that nagged me. suspension of disbelief is one thing, and i brought plenty of it with me into the film, but logical inconsistency is something totally different. it bugged me, for example, how the aliens and their skulls had such a powerful magnetic pull that it could be negated by covering the skull with a cloth. or, generally speaking, the magnetic field seemed to come and go at random. i can accept the concept of aliens (or "interdimensional beings," to be exact) with crystalline skeletons that emit a powerful magnetic field which attracts any metal, even those not normally affected by magnetism. that's suspension of disbelief. but i have a harder time accepting the inconsistency with which this magnetism occurs, seemingly only when the plot requires it or a character mentions it, and disappears the rest of the time. that's just sloppiness.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 am

But it was consistent with one thing: Any time a mindless obstacle (ants, SAVAGES) was placed in their way, the Skull worked EVERY TIME.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:But it was consistent with one thing: Any time a mindless obstacle (ants, SAVAGES) was placed in their way, the Skull worked EVERY TIME.

they shoulda held it up to lucas anytime he tried to go near the script.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am

TheBaxter wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:But it was consistent with one thing: Any time a mindless obstacle (ants, SAVAGES) was placed in their way, the Skull worked EVERY TIME.

they shoulda held it up to lucas anytime he tried to go near the script.

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed May 28, 2008 11:49 am

Zarles wrote:
Simon Quinlank wrote:

And then filed an injunction against the fake city to stop the nuclear explosion before it took place. What were they thinking allowing a nuclear explosion in the middle of town, anyway? Who's in charge here? I demand answers.

hahahaha, fiddle-away, Neros....
Lord Voldemoo

Postby C00L DUD3 on Wed May 28, 2008 12:27 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:...Shia sword fighting...

Did you guys happen to catch Jimmy Kimmel, last night!?

He was on, and mentioned how he came onto AICN and saw all of the [Talk back] haters, and it fueled him to train that much harder for certain scenes...specifically the sword fighting...HA!! :lol:

I actually gained a ton of respect for the dude after the interview...he seems really chill...
---WURD!
C00L DUD3
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed May 28, 2008 12:36 pm

I hope one day Shia comes into The Zone... The Zone loves Shia!!!! SSSSHHHHIIIIIAAAAAA!!!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby travis-dane on Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I hope one day Shia comes into The Zone... The Zone loves Shia!!!! SSSSHHHHIIIIIAAAAAA!!!!!

MMMUUUAAAAHHHAAAHHAAAHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHAAA........... .....
what?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:I hope one day Shia comes into The Zone... The Zone loves Shia!!!! SSSSHHHHIIIIIAAAAAA!!!!!

he won't come here. he's too shy Shia

hush hush, eye to eye
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 pm

America loves the Beef!
caruso_stalker217

Postby buster00 on Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Hai Guys Whutz Goin On In This Thred?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby captainbrose on Wed May 28, 2008 5:06 pm

buster00 wrote:Image

Hai Guys Whutz Goin On In This Thred?

howd you get a screencap to the opening of Crystal Skull so quickly?

only kidding
captainbrose
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Brit Pop on Wed May 28, 2008 5:34 pm

So George and Steven are sitting on the ranch, tucking into a couple of heart-healthy omelettes... discussing the production of KOTCS...

GL - "Remember when I made the prequels to Star Wars a few years back?"

SS - "Yeah, I think the fans weren't too happy with all the stupid CGI characters"

GL - "But the Yoda fight was pretty cool, right?"

SS - "Oh yeah, no totally, that rocked!"

GL - "Well I was thinking at the very start, instead of the iconic Paramonut mountain icon... we could have a gopher mound - and a neat little CGI critter could pop out and do funny stuff"

SS - " - [pause] - gophers?"

GL - "well, prarie dogs.. whatever, anyway if we work in the whole Grafitti intro bit then the car could, like, run over the mound and stuff"

SS - " - [pause] - what do you guys think?"

KK - "no, totally, that would be awesome!"

FM - "awesome... to the max!"

GL - "also..."

SS - "yeah?"

GL - "well the fans have really become aware of the Wilhelm Scream over the last few years"

SS - "how do you mean?"

GL - "no, like, I totally saw a whole bunch of videos on YouTube, with montages and stuff"

FM - "me too, like twenty or something"

GL - "what you should do is put the mother of all Wilhelm's right in there!"

SS - "doesn't the audience say that kind of distracts from the immersive quality of big screen cinema?"

GL - "no, like it'll be totally awesome!"

KK - "that would be SO funny!"

FM - "oh man! that would rock!"

SS - "yeah, sure, what the fuck"
Last edited by Brit Pop on Wed May 28, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed May 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Fucking hilarious Brit Pop, ipampilash right here, right now.

Here's that Kimmel interview with LaBeouf!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gkFaY05Ze4o

I love the kid, he's great. When he talks about his mom, and Spielberg as a sex symbol. Gold man gold! Just saw Disturbia for the first time as well, he eats the screen up. He's like a Junior Day Lewis at some points.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Wed May 28, 2008 6:10 pm

Evil Hobbit wrote:Here's that Kimmel interview with LaBeouf!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gkFaY05Ze4o

That was pretty cool. VIVA LA AINTITCOOL!!!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Zarles on Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 pm

Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 29, 2008 5:21 am

What the hell did I just watch? I mean...I don't...the thing is....

WHERE AM I???

I'm too tired/tipsy to read through all this thread so apologies ahead of time if I'm repeating some good Zoners' observations, but a few thoughts:

1. Pigeons in Moonraker. That's what we're dealing with here. It had to be said.

2. OMG Shia is so hot!!! He and his sexy 50s pompadour and that certain charm that is so very...retro, yet au courant. How DOES HE DO IT? I want him so bad...except I don't because he sucks and I hate him.

3. Why was the symbol for the Punisher scribbled all over Ox's prison wall?

4. WHY DID YOU PUT INDIANA JONES IN OLD MAN PANTS?? No, really. The pants were distracting as fuck. And at one point he was totally wearing two belts. As Henry Fonda said once, "How can you trust a man who can't even trust his own pants?"

Actually I am so glad this movie was made. Because it should not exist. I couldn't even believe what I was watching. I thought I must have unknowingly slipped into a coma where this sick, twisted version of Indiana Jones was playing itself out before my shut eyes. There is no way this movie is happening. And actually...I liked it.

There were some major problems to be sure, but I felt like I was privy to some fantastic abomination that should never have taken place and that fanboys would only joke about as some impossible possibility. Actually, I felt like I was watching one of those crazy OLEG concepts brought to life. Spandau's Alexis Bledel going all gunnery sergeant in a WW2 pic with James Woods headlining. How else do you explain Indy being nuke blasted out of Area 51 in a refrigerator?

I was skeptical watching the trailer but I quite liked Janusc Kaminski's representation of Old Indy brought forward into this day and age. The look was appropriately campy but still impressive...that is until we got into the jungle and I started getting some icky "Sommersverse" vibes from all the cluttered exotic locale enhanced with show-offy CGI and extremely sloppy green screen work on the action set pieces. I read an interview with Spielberg where he said these new technological developments were great because they can actually represent these locations in a realistic way...but when will they learn that even with all the fancy CGI it STILL looks fake. Did the Star Wars prequels teach them nothing? It was passable at times but glaringly bad when Cate Blanchett and Shia were having their little sword fight back and forth on the cars. Anyway, must stop focusing on the negative...

It took me a while but eventually I managed to stop seeing Harrison Ford as his "Gettoff my plane!" persona and he became Indy again. Granted, he had to deliver some of the worst lines in history completely deadpan ("Why do you have to go into the cave?" *Holds up giant skull* "Because it told me to.")...but in spite of that verbal handicap I did eventually feel like I was watching Indy. I also liked the way they handled him running around as the old geezer he was. He was still pretty spry for an old fella and had the know-how to get himself out of any sticky spot, but having that slapsticky angle was pretty key. They acknowledged his age but didn't dwell on it. Nicely handled.

Of course the story was completely ALF in every respect. The Indy I know and love wouldn't have just bought Ray Winstone's bullshit "Oh yeah I'm a double agent for the CIA...nev'ah mind me accent 'oweva." And the dialogue truly did live up to the Lucas name ("Their gold is knowledge. Knowledge is their gold.") And my brain instinctively turned off whenever it became all plotty exposition history lesson...but this was okay because it made it easier to enjoy things like skull monkey ninjas ambushing Indy and Shia and monstrous fire ants carrying a dude head first into their mound. That was actually pretty cool and kudos to Spielberg for his creativity in those areas (and also the fact that at times it was surprisingly graphic...) but honestly...HONESTLY...I think Spielberg is in on this joke. I know he likes his aliens but really? Okay okay they kind of outdid themselves with that whole Ark of the Covenant thing...how can they possibly top that? So Spielberg says, "I GOT it. Aliens. We'll have them find aliens and then we'll have the aliens fly off in a huge spaceship." "But uhh...Steven, haven't you already done that a couple times before-" "Nah, nah it'll be great. They'll love it!" I swear he had to be in on this. He is L. Ron Hubbard and this movie is his Scientology. There is no other explanation.

So I give it a 6/10. Spielberg is a wily devil. Bless him for it.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Thu May 29, 2008 5:26 am

Great review, Dale.

I seriously want to read Darabont's draft that Spielberg and Ford liked so much that Lucas didn't. It's gotta be better than what we got (and by "we" I mean you guys, 'cause I sure as shit ain't subjecting myself to this!).

:-P
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DaleTremont on Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks, Rogue!

Yeah I'd be very curious too. This really is the version that should never have been. Which makes it completely fascinating! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around it to be honest...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 29, 2008 5:38 am

DaleTremont wrote:4. WHY DID YOU PUT INDIANA JONES IN OLD MAN PANTS?? No, really. The pants were distracting as fuck. And at one point he was totally wearing two belts. As Henry Fonda said once, "How can you trust a man who can't even trust his own pants?"

I think Danny Glover lent Ford the pants he wore in PREDATOR 2.
caruso_stalker217

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion