PredatorS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: Predator$

Postby ironic name on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:38 am

unikrunk wrote:
thefraze wrote:I'm kind of confused though... This film is supposedly a sequel to the first "Predator" film right? The plot details that the Predators have lost a couple of battles against humans and they want to study our hunting skills in this game preserve of sorts - right?

So... how is the original predator in this film? Or are they simply saying the mold/character design is the same? From the way it's been described... the predator himself, that fought Arnold, is in this movie - and that's awesome, if this movie is a prequel...

but i would assume the "previous battles' would relate to Dutch... so... hmm.

No, I think it is a prequel to the first movie.

they have modern weapons, modern bdus and politics, plus, cowboy pete asks if we won the war, when brody asks the gulf? he says vietnam. so I doubt it.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:02 pm

ironic name wrote:
unikrunk wrote:
thefraze wrote:I'm kind of confused though... This film is supposedly a sequel to the first "Predator" film right? The plot details that the Predators have lost a couple of battles against humans and they want to study our hunting skills in this game preserve of sorts - right?

So... how is the original predator in this film? Or are they simply saying the mold/character design is the same? From the way it's been described... the predator himself, that fought Arnold, is in this movie - and that's awesome, if this movie is a prequel...

they have modern weapons, modern bdus and politics, plus, cowboy pete asks if we won the war, when brody asks the gulf? he says vietnam. so I doubt it.

Regarding the spoiler text...wha? Have you seen some other footage than the sneak peek? Because I just watched it, and did not see/hear anything like that. What secret knowledge do you possess? I must know!

Anyway, given your post, yeah, maybe not a prequel to the first movie. Than what is it? A sequel to the first one (and by proxy, to the AVP films)?

/insert picture of Confused Pete here
//still, I am fucking pumped to see this bastard
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

unikrunk wrote:
ironic name wrote:
unikrunk wrote:

Regarding the spoiler text...wha? Have you seen some other footage than the sneak peek? Because I just watched it, and did not see/hear anything like that. What secret knowledge do you possess? I must know!

Anyway, given your post, yeah, maybe not a prequel to the first movie. Than what is it? A sequel to the first one (and by proxy, to the AVP films)?

/insert picture of Confused Pete here
//still, I am fucking pumped to see this bastard

I read it in a breakdown of the script, probably at latinoreview.
it may not be in the movie anymore, but mentioning the gulf war and having modern uniforms is a giveaway.

I meant cowboy curtis
ironic name

Postby thefraze on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 am

I've got the old script laying around here somewhere, I need to re-read it... as I recall it wasn't that great, but hopefully enough changes have been made to make it interesting.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am

I get the feeling this film is going to be a bit lame, even though they are trying to give the impression that it's going to be the coolest thing ever.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

Fried Gold wrote:I get the feeling this film is going to be a bit lame, even though they are trying to give the impression that it's going to be the coolest thing ever.

True. We really do deserve ad expect something more.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:54 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I get the feeling this film is going to be a bit lame, even though they are trying to give the impression that it's going to be the coolest thing ever.

True. We really do deserve and expect something more.

And almost never get it.
So it goes.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby ironic name on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:11 pm

ironic name

Postby ironic name on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:28 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

True. We really do deserve and expect something more.

And almost never get it.
So it goes.

it'll probably suck, because the coolness of the first predator comes from the movie actually being about logic v violence, technology v nature and man's struggle to overcome bloodlust.
the men feel safe with their weapons and training, till something is stalking them, and their weapons are useless. eventually the man defeats the high tech with mud and trees, but does he resort to animalism?
this becomes obvious when he lifts up his rock, ready to bash the skull of a helpless foe, but he throws his weapon down, saying 'I am not a murderous creature, I am order', and asks his antagonist creature what it is, but the creature mocks arnold, and asks what he is, a metaphorical question? the predator kills itself, denying arnold a clean and righteous vanquish of the predator, screaming chaos.
arnold lives, but at the very end he looks at and the music goes from hopefull to unknown, he puts a brave act on for elpedia carillo, but he knows he didn't win, niether did the creature. humanity's soul is not peacefull, or rage filled, its undecided.
the new movie is 'splosions and gore, what predator pretended to be.
maybe I'm wrong, but RR has not made a good movie other than sincity, and he didn't write that.
Last edited by ironic name on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironic name

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:43 pm

ironic name wrote: humanity's soul is not peacefull, or rage filled, its undecided.

Brilliant read and I did see the depths of what you talked about, though I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. But what do you mean by that above statement? You talking about when Arnie went to kill the creature, or you about something else? But please elaborate, one day when we smoke pot we can talk philosophy on other stuff maybe.

Starting with Atomic Kitten's lyrics to their first song, "Do it to me baby, do it to me right now, do it to me slowly."
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ironic name on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
ironic name wrote: humanity's soul is not peacefull, or rage filled, its undecided.

Brilliant read and I did see the depths of what you talked about, though I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. But what do you mean by that above statement? You talking about when Arnie went to kill the creature, or you about something else? But please elaborate, one day when we smoke pot we can talk philosophy on other stuff maybe.

Starting with Atomic Kitten's lyrics to their first song, "Do it to me baby, do it to me right now, do it to me slowly."

I meant when arnold looks out the window of DA CHOPPA, and all of a sudden you hear the classic DUNNA DUNNA DUNNUN - DUNNA DUNNA DUNNUN theme.
the movie then goes from good guy killed the bad guy to who won? the monster didn't lose, it self terminated. the predator repesents primitive violence [even though he has hi tech stuff] and arnie is modern man [even though its arnie] it does this without Heath ledger and Christian bale, and without many words. like that shot of travis bickle looking in the mirror and you realise this is bullshit, hes dying in a slum, the movie is now showing that arnie/mankind/proggression isn't the 100 percent winner, and that humanity can be both enlightened [Brahmagupta, Plato, Buddha, Christ, Gandhi, King Jr, Hawking etc] and violent [temujin, tepes, hitler, stalin, mugabe, cheny] and the capacity to do good exists in the hearts of humanity, but we fail to use it 100 percent.

as for atomic kitten, I think kerry katona wants dick.
ironic name

Postby ironic name on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 am

Last edited by ironic name on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironic name

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am

Watched Predator 2 last night... still holds up, with a few exceptions (Bill Paxton's character gets on my damn nerves) - not to mention the almost shot-by-shot, blatant copying of Aliens (cameras, headsets, slaughterhouse scene).

Why isn't it Danny Glover on the Predator planet wearing predator gear? I think that'd be pretty awesome, rather than Fishburne. It seems like they're trying to completely discredit Predator 2 - when a lot of cool stuff and mythology came from that movie. :/
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ironic name on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

ironic name

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Film looks even worse. It's so much a carbon copy of the original that it's enough to make me quit movies altogether what with it's prefect representation of the regurgitating attitude of film making these days.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:it's enough to make me quit movies altogether

Perhaps a tad bit overdramatic, but I too feel this feels too close to the original film.

Honestly, and these are assumptions, but I never associated the predator with jungles - yes they're apparently drawn to heat and conflict or whatever, but I never expected everything to revolve around the jungles as this movie seems to.

If anything, AVP at least gave us some interesting scenery with the predator - a colorado forest, the antartic - and the brief glimpse of the predator homeworld in AVP2... it'd be nice to see that expounded upon, to know more about their culture etc.

Game preserve idea is cool, but... I want to know more about the race itself.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:55 pm

thefraze wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:it's enough to make me quit movies altogether

Perhaps a tad bit overdramatic

Kirks is never overdramatic...he's as serious as a heart-attack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack.

thefraze wrote:Game preserve idea is cool, but... I want to know more about the race itself.

Who's to say we won't learn more about the Predator race?

As I've said in other Predator and Aliens threads, I love these two movie franchises despite all their warts...I can't help it (with the ironic exception of AvP I and II, which are beyond bad pieces of shit). Most of my brief comic book collecting days focused around these two creatures...

I will give this movie a shot. I won't go into expecting much, but may hold a glimmer of hope that it will at least be a good action story. IF it ultimately sucks ass, then I will go back to my hole and wait for the day for someone else to try and ressurect it.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, having read the script... it's just a lot of hunting and whatnot... we see new hunting techniques, but most of the exposition is delivered from Fishburne's character, a human living on this preserve planet for some time.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:22 pm

thefraze wrote:Well, having read the script... it's just a lot of hunting and whatnot... we see new hunting techniques, but most of the exposition is delivered from Fishburne's character, a human living on this preserve planet for some time.

Sigh. Well there goes that. Thanks. :?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't believe I said anything that wasn't shown in the trailer - I mean... he's standing there wearing predator gear with a helmet under his arm :/

I'm confused though, still, as to if this film is stating that predator 2 never existed
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:32 pm

thefraze wrote:I don't believe I said anything that wasn't shown in the trailer - I mean... he's standing there wearing predator gear with a helmet under his arm :/

I'm confused though, still, as to if this film is stating that predator 2 never existed

I hope it is stating that... aside from a few decent scenes, Predator 2 was crap. Just ask Kirks.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Yeah - it's a subpar movie, but it did develop the mythology of the creature - including the ship and the skulls, the weaponry etc.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 pm

thefraze wrote:Yeah - it's a subpar movie, but it did develop the mythology of the creature - including the ship and the skulls, the weaponry etc.

Well to be honest, the comic books developed that mythology (which was adopted in the films). But I digress...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm

thefraze wrote:I don't believe I said anything that wasn't shown in the trailer - I mean... he's standing there wearing predator gear with a helmet under his arm :/

Yeah, you get that much from the trailer. Otherwise his lines of exposition really don't make any sense. Probably a good idea to post a spoiler tag on it for those that have avoided the trailer.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:39 pm

If there wasn't a Predator 2, with that shot of the Alien skull as a gag, I don't think this entire mythos of them being fierce enemies would have ever developed.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:If there wasn't a Predator 2, with that shot of the Alien skull as a gag, I don't think this entire mythos of them being fierce enemies would have ever developed.

If I'm correct, didn't the comics of Alien Vs. Predator come before Predator 2? I seem to recall Stan Winston saying they put the skull in there as a gag of sorts because of the comic and everything starting up around that time.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

I LIKED Predator 2! :oops:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thefraze on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I LIKED Predator 2! :oops:

lol, I like it too... there's some pretty cool stuff in there
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 pm

thefraze wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:If there wasn't a Predator 2, with that shot of the Alien skull as a gag, I don't think this entire mythos of them being fierce enemies would have ever developed.

If I'm correct, didn't the comics of Alien Vs. Predator come before Predator 2? I seem to recall Stan Winston saying they put the skull in there as a gag of sorts because of the comic and everything starting up around that time.

That is correct. I remember in 1989 I bought an Alien Vs Predator comic. It featured the Preddies having an Alie Queen captured and using her for... some perverted activity or whatever. It also had humans in space as well, a scene I remember well is a Arnie looking type killing a Predator and making a joke about how their dreadlocks were out of fashion or something.

Oh by the way, an ex-Zoner just explained to his girlfriend the new Predator trailer. 'It seven hard ass's survivng in a jungle'...'What's the new one about?'...nuff said

I rest my case.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby ironic name on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:59 pm

KING WILLY AND THE HAIRY BUSH AND MORTON AND MURTAUGH AND BUSEY AND THE OLD LADY AND MELTING SHIT!
ironic name

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Predator 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 am

ironic name wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

I meant when arnold looks out the window of DA CHOPPA, and all of a sudden you hear the classic DUNNA DUNNA DUNNUN - DUNNA DUNNA DUNNUN theme.
the movie then goes from good guy killed the bad guy to who won? the monster didn't lose, it self terminated. the predator repesents primitive violence [even though he has hi tech stuff] and arnie is modern man [even though its arnie] it does this without Heath ledger and Christian bale, and without many words. like that shot of travis bickle looking in the mirror and you realise this is bullshit, hes dying in a slum, the movie is now showing that arnie/mankind/proggression isn't the 100 percent winner, and that humanity can be both enlightened [Brahmagupta, Plato, Buddha, Christ, Gandhi, King Jr, Hawking etc] and violent [temujin, tepes, hitler, stalin, mugabe, cheny] and the capacity to do good exists in the hearts of humanity, but we fail to use it 100 percent.

as for atomic kitten, I think kerry katona wants dick.

:shock: That was enlightening. Thanks. I'll have to watch the original with all that in mind.

so sorry wrote:
thefraze wrote:Yeah - it's a subpar movie, but it did develop the mythology of the creature - including the ship and the skulls, the weaponry etc.

Well to be honest, the comic books developed that mythology (which was adopted in the films). But I digress...

A lot of the story elements for Predator 2 came from the first Predator mini-series.
From Wiki:

* Predator (a.k.a. Predator: Concrete Jungle) 1-4 by Mark Verheiden, Chris Warner and Ron Randall, June 1989-March 1990

The events of Predator #1-4 revolve around NYC Detective Schaefer, the brother of Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer. Detective Schaefer and his partner, Detective Rasche, discover a Predator in New York City during a drug deal gone bad. Schaefer believes the Predator and a mysterious army general have a connection to his brother, Dutch, which leads Schaefer on a hunt into Colombia. There in South America Schaefer has yet another run in with a Predator as well as a Colombian drug lord - an old NYC adversary. Successfully eluding both, Schaefer is transported back to the U.S. only to find a government plot to hand him over to the Predators. Predator #1-4 are collected together as the trade paperback: Predator: Concrete Jungle. It has also been adapted into a video game and a novel.

From Cinematical:
Interview: 'Predators' Creators Robert Rodriguez And Nimrod Antal
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby thefraze on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 am

Fried Gold wrote:Image

Thank you... so much. This is genius.

I'd love to see more of these Lost mash=ups w/ Predator and Avatar and Jungle-ish movies. Can I put in a request for Sawyer saying, "I just shot a bear!" and then showing one of the crazy rhino hammerhead things from Avatar? lol.
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Peven on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

new production stills....

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Seppuku on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Peven wrote:new production stills....

This is bullshit. Triceratops are herbivores, they don't eat people. I'm boycotting this stupid movie. Who's with me?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Seppuku wrote:
Peven wrote:new production stills....

This is bullshit. Triceratops are herbivores, they don't eat people. I'm boycotting this stupid movie. Who's with me?

Kirks. Have fun you two!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Jesus wept.......
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:16 am

Here's a Taste of the Predators Score

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: PredatorS

Postby ironic name on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 am

ironic name

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby cerafan86 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I just checked out all the production stills and I feel like I watched the whole movie! F***!
Thou art noble. Thou art divine. Thou art dead.
cerafan86
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 am

Predators Red Band NSFW International Trailer:

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Predator 2

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 am

From STYD:
21 Years Ago: When the Predator Landed in New York City
Ryan Turek wrote:When Joel Silver smiled upon Stephen Hopkins from his mega-producing throne and said, go forth, make Predator 2, it never dawned on me in 1990 how many similarities were present between the sequel and Dark Horse Comics' first foray into the 20th Century Fox franchise. Revisiting the comic book follow-up, just in time for Predators of course, those similarities come to the fore, however, they're really only present in the first issue.

Hitting comic book shops before Predator 2 landed in theaters, "Predator: Concrete Jungle" utilized the same conceit: Take a hardened cop and put him up against the ultimate, extraterrestrial hunter. The backdrop? The big city. It's a "no duh" scenario and a natural progression for the franchise. What "Concrete Jungle" does that Predator 2 never did was open the scope just a bit wider than what Silver and his producing team could do 20 years ago. The hunting ground may have been comparable, yet "Concrete Jungle" was a game changer.

Written by Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica, My Name is Bruce), a Dark Horse regular, and illustrated by Chris Warner, backed up by Sam de la Rosa's striking ink work, "Concrete Jungle" is a four-part mini-series. The story picks up a couple of years in the future (Predator 2 was set in '97) where we meet New York City cops Rasch and Schaefer, the latter an imposing figure who is the brother of Predator's Dutch (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger).

Ryan Turek wrote:Furthermore, "Concrete Jungle" feels like an action-packed Joel Silver picture which makes it a terrific companion piece to the films. Everyone is a hard-ass, there are some choice one-liners and the narration - which jumps between Rasch and Schafer - has a Lethal Weapon grit to it.

As a sequel, it works organically and it would be amazing to see realized on the big screen. Focusing on Dutch's brother brings a sort of "grudge match" aspect to the Predator hunt this time. It delivers on giving you the best of both worlds, bringing the Predators to a big city and throwing you back into the jungle for a bit of familiarity. Verheiden also intellectualizes the nature of the Predator race and why they hunt, adding a welcome layer to the story. It's absent of new Predator weapons and the cameo of an Alien skull, but it more than makes up for this with the scope of the story.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:51 am

not sure how this is exactly Predators NEWS.......and to be honest i am tired to people talking about the fucking comic, the plot sounds like half-baked crap to me and NO, i wouldn't want to see it made as a movie. its like Star Wars comic/book people who can't seem to distinguish between the movies and the lame crap that was written by people trying to make money from the concept and reputation created by Lucas and Co.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 pm

I think we talked about Concrete Jungle in this thread (or maybe the AvP thread).
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ironic name on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:35 pm

predator comics are so awful, its hard to have tension in static images.
predator 1718 looks pretty cool.

ironic name

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion