PredatorS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: PredatorS

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

I thought it was all right. It was actually really good until they started hanging out with Larry Fishburne, but then things started to get a little cheap:

1. For instance the sword fight wasn't staged very nicely and wasn't nearly as cool as it was hoping to be, despite the Yakuza dude being an awesome character
2. Predator-on-Predator violence also looked really cheap and goofy
3. The "twist" around Topher Grace was completely unnecessary and pretty clitch: even if it was a "surprise" it's not an impressive one

But early on I liked that they took the time to have the characters slowly figure out what we already know: it was done to good effect in terms of building suspense and having us get to know the protagonists.

For the most part the acting was pretty good, and Adrien Brody in particular: like everyone's been saying, it's great that he was not only cast against type but that he took the role seriously. While his performance is nothing groundbreaking or even memorable, it's a noteworthy effort and helps to bring some Punky Power to the movie.

Overall I would say that Predators is a decent sequel. I haven't seen any of the AvP movies, so I can't compare, but I have a feeling that Predators was the better and more enjoyable film.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby MacCready on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:33 pm

And you'd be right.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Man, AvP 2 was BAD!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:30 pm

I hated it. Totally unoriginal and of course... the nose that snorted the world. I dread Brody's first 3D feature.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ironic name on Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:33 am

$200
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby Bayouwolf on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Am I the only person who thought that maybe Topher was a new tactic the Predators were using. Like maybe he was working for them. Helping to keep the "prey" alive long enough to be hunted, by keeping them from dying from something stupid on the planet.I mean...he knew about the plant poison, and said he "liked it there, and didn't want to leave. It came across to me like he had first hand knowledge. And when the Russian gets it, I swear I remember him looking back and smiling as he climbed through the air vent thingy...

I mean...How bad-assed would it have been if the Predator showed up when he had got caught in the trap at the end, and while the woman watched, bent over Topher and we hear him scream then stop abruptly...And when we see the Predator turn away from his body, he stands up along side it the with that glowing goo they use to heal themselves with around his ankle while the predator comes for her...

I was completely ready for the "twist" they threw out, but I was sincerely hoping that they would have gone the route above.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Am I the only person who thought that maybe Topher was a new tactic the Predators were using. Like maybe he was working for them. Helping to keep the "prey" alive long enough to be hunted, by keeping them from dying from something stupid on the planet.I mean...he knew about the plant poison, and said he "liked it there, and didn't want to leave. It came across to me like he had first hand knowledge. And when the Russian gets it, I swear I remember him looking back and smiling as he climbed through the air vent thingy...

I was completely ready for the "twist" they threw out, but I was sincerely hoping that they would have gone the route above.

Actually that did cross my mind for a second too. And in some ways I feel like it would have made more sense than what actually happened.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ironic name on Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Am I the only person who thought that maybe Topher was a new tactic the Predators were using. Like maybe he was working for them. Helping to keep the "prey" alive long enough to be hunted, by keeping them from dying from something stupid on the planet.I mean...he knew about the plant poison, and said he "liked it there, and didn't want to leave. It came across to me like he had first hand knowledge. And when the Russian gets it, I swear I remember him looking back and smiling as he climbed through the air vent thingy...

I mean...How bad-assed would it have been if the Predator showed up when he had got caught in the trap at the end, and while the woman watched, bent over Topher and we hear him scream then stop abruptly...And when we see the Predator turn away from his body, he stands up along side it the with that glowing goo they use to heal themselves with around his ankle while the predator comes for her...

the problem with that is, its original and cool.
no way it was gonna happen.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:06 pm

The Topher bit was projected so early and resulted in something truly pointless. Him being some BAD ASS serial killer lasted about 3 minutes. Having him being central to the Predators plans would have been more interesting, but not THAT much more interesting. This movie was like a hatchet to my tits.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 am

More silly was the notion that they all asked each other as to why they were there and they didn't really bother to work Topher out.

Bit shoddy if you ask me, and why would the Predators take a serial killer who wouldn't be hunting them?

I went with the idea that he was part of some Predator/human coalition that found and kidnapped people to use in Predator training missions or something.

Again, that would have been stronger.

Did like Adrian Brody though.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 pm

I saw PREDATOR$ last night. It poses the philisophical question "If a mediocre sequel comes 15 years too late, does that make it a bad sequel?"

They had some good ideas, some weaker ideas, their main crime is the decision to make a PREDATOR movie that is thematically about survival instead of being about machismo. I guess they quote Hemmingway, but it just never felt like a movie made by somebody who loves guns, destruction, and crushening.

The part with Morpheus cracked me up. He gave a bad performance, probably the worst of his career, and it was truly enjoyable.

Nimrod Antall and Wolfgang Petersen need to co-direct a movie called MORE MISS THAN HIT.

Indifferent shrug.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Fishburne's character was decent, but his portrayal was too over-the-top for me.
Topher Grace's character was just a stupid idea.

Both of those issues killed the movie for me.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Looking back through this thread, lots of other people had the same speculations on chrisTopher Grace's character in that while we were watching the movie we figured he was a medic there to heal those wounded in the hunt because the Predators had some sort of one-shot-one-kill cleankill honour system or something.

Having him be a serial killing doctor was....well....it didn't really bug me...but....like everything in this movie, there was probably a better way to handle that aspect.

At first I thought that convict guy was the serial killer of the group, I think maybe later his little monologue is supposed to tell us he's a serial rapist, but that never got used in the movie. He always annoyed me the most and got put to the least use of any character in the film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 pm

In the time since I first saw Predators, it's grown on me. Or at least, divorced from the hype, I can watch it without as much preconceived notions or expectations. I recently did a double-bill of Predator and this, and enjoyed it. It's a little stupid, yes, but it's a nice companion piece.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 pm

A script for aPredator 4 is apparently finished - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/30/fre ... -complete/
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:32 pm

Ribbons wrote:In the time since I first saw Predators, it's grown on me. Or at least, divorced from the hype, I can watch it without as much preconceived notions or expectations. I recently did a double-bill of Predator and this, and enjoyed it. It's a little stupid, yes, but it's a nice companion piece.

Oh please, enough of all this "A movie grows on me because let's face it, with repeat low expectations of movies on tv, what film doesn't?"

Predators is complete crap.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Fried Gold wrote:A script for aPredator 4 is apparently finished - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/11/30/fre ... -complete/

Oh grow up guys and fucking move on. Blah blah Arnie might be in it, so what? Wow, we all know how great THAT will work out won't it? Fucking let this shit go and get on with your life. Crap like this is for idiot people who've grown out of this but don't know it. Cut the cord and move on!

As for Shane Black, I'm very disappointed. I thought he was above rehash shit like this. I can see this being another "Don't matter what talent is involved, this story and it's potential IS DONE!". This has got "Shane Black fails" written all over it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Ribbons wrote:In the time since I first saw Predators, it's grown on me. Or at least, divorced from the hype, I can watch it without as much preconceived notions or expectations. I recently did a double-bill of Predator and this, and enjoyed it. It's a little stupid, yes, but it's a nice companion piece.

Oh please, enough of all this "A movie grows on me" because let's face it, with repeat low expectations of movies on tv, what film doesn't?

Predators is complete crap.

Walter and the Tigers never grew on me
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:41 pm

Collider JUNE 28, 2014:
Robert Rodriguez Talks PREDATORS, Shane Black, Rebooting FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, SIN CITY 2, and More at the Saturn Awards

io9 2/05/10:
How Did The Predators Script Change Since 1994?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion