PredatorS

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Robert Rodriguez's Predator Re-boot - apologies if this has already hit the Zone elsewhere, but I'm thinking, after Planet Terror, RR might be a good director to tear this shit right up. Then again, RR seems to have more 'upcoming projects' than Martin Scorsese...

original story here
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: PredatorS! (Now w/ 100% More Robert Rodriguez)

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am

I like the original idea RR had - of past victors of predators being set against each other. And he'd be a great director for rebooting the Predator films.

If they went the way of all-out established actioneers, then I'm liking Vin Diesel again, finally shaking off years worth of dross. 'The Rock' would do do a good job too.

I'd prefer Mickeyy Rourke though - kind of a hybrid between Marv and The Wrestler. World-weary, but capabale of turning it on, if his back's against the wall.
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:43 am

I Love the idea of Predator in say, Civil War times.

Dances With Wolves VS. Predator would get my $10.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I like the original idea RR had - of past victors of predators being set against each other. And he'd be a great director for rebooting the Predator films.

If they went the way of all-out established actioneers, then I'm liking Vin Diesel again, finally shaking off years worth of dross. 'The Rock' would do do a good job too.

I'd prefer Mickeyy Rourke though - kind of a hybrid between Marv and The Wrestler. World-weary, but capabale of turning it on, if his back's against the wall.

I guess it would be self-defeating to try to just remake the original (as it was so awesomely good) but I still like the simplicity of the whole special forces, men-on-mission concept. I love the idea of Rourke in something like that.

The concept of victors being pitted against each other is cool I just have bad visions of Predators whooping and hollering in a circle while two people go at it in the center...like that Fighting movie...except with predators.

Ahh fuck it maybe it would work.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Predator is DONE. We've seen what it looks like, we know what it can do, we know how it thinks and feels.

Move on. You think you want it, but you know you don'... you know the rest.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:52 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Predator is DONE. We've seen what it looks like, we know what it can do, we know how it thinks and feels.

Move on. You think you want it, but you know you don'... you know the rest.

I'm not so sure. Predator hunting down a lone human, only to be bested at the very end of a film is DONE. Exploring the Predator as something more than an impressive foe, driven by 'the hunt', is something I wouldn't mind seeing - especially as the first film is what, 20 years old now?

The first AVP may have had its shortcomings, but it did add character to the Predator. They were the best thing about the film, in fact.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

A Predator film set on their homeworld, entirely in their alien language (fully subtitled) and filmed in black & white, the story of an elderly Predator teaching some disadvantaged youth-Predators and igniting their love for music.

That's not been DONE. We haven't seen that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:A Predator film set on their homeworld, entirely in their alien language (fully subtitled) and filmed in black & white, the story of an elderly Predator teaching some disadvantaged youth-Predators and igniting their love for music.

That would be EPIC.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Adult Predator rapping pre-teen Predator on the knuckles when he hits a wrong note on the space-piano.

"RAHHHHHHHH!"

Sold.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:A Predator film set on their homeworld, entirely in their alien language (fully subtitled) and filmed in black & white, the story of an elderly Predator teaching some disadvantaged youth-Predators and igniting their love for music.

That would be EPIC.

Only if it could be Predatorily expressed through the medium of Dance.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Move on. You think you want it, but you know you don'... you know the rest.

Exactly my thoughts...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 pm

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Move on. You think you want it, but you know you don'... you know the rest.

Exactly my thoughts...

Yeah I mean it's like, come on guys, we've seen the Preds do so much, even if we see them again doing what has been said, it's new - but it's not THAT new. Again, we've SEEN them! Enough!

Of all this time rehashing old and used up ideas, think of how many more new characters or stories that are as classic or as archetypal as all this we could have seen and added to by now? Other characters as COOL as Xenomorph or Predator? A lot more than there is now I can tell you that.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I Love the idea of Predator in say, Civil War times.

I could have sworn that I posted it in this thread, but way back when Predator 2 was out, I had an idea for a Predator on the hunt during the Revolutionary War. It was a kickass idea, and he accidentally helped us defeat the British. Kinda of a cool concept, I thought.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:I Love the idea of Predator in say, Civil War times.

I could have sworn that I posted it in this thread, but way back when Predator 2 was out, I had an idea for a Predator on the hunt during the Revolutionary War. It was a kickass idea, and he accidentally helped us defeat the British. Kinda of a cool concept, I thought.

I used to follow the Predator comic book series back in the day (90s), and they had a ton of one-offs of predator's hunting thru the ages. I swear I remember one having to do with a Civil War era hunt.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby CeeBeeUK on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:39 pm

so sorry wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:

I used to follow the Predator comic book series back in the day (90s), and they had a ton of one-offs of predator's hunting thru the ages. I swear I remember one having to do with a Civil War era hunt.

I remember the same, and I think it was extrapolated from the end of Predator 2. When you see his trophy collection, there was a pair of 'flintlock'* pistols.

* not a historian. They may have been a different style of civil war era pistols! :D
CeeBeeUK
WAIRWOLF GAME

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

I could have sworn that I posted it in this thread, but way back when Predator 2 was out, I had an idea for a Predator on the hunt during the Revolutionary War. It was a kickass idea, and he accidentally helped us defeat the British.

So THAT"s how you US wimps need to kick us in is i?! :evil: :twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

I remember. Great idea then. Great idea now.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:18 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:

Predator in the Time of Cholera.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:21 pm

To Catch a Predator: Sherlocks Holmes: The reboot: part 4: a Prequel.

A buddy movie where the Predator meets his match in a better tracker (Holmes) and the two team up to take down Arnie for killing his brother, but they have to go through Moriarty first. The Predator is rash and agressive, Holmes is cool and calm, can the two find a way to solve this detective riddle and can it all work out?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Pride and Predator and Zombies!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm

A Connecticut Predator in King Arthur's Court.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 pm

We need to combine all these ideas together, stat! Where's Sandy Collara when you need him?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Ribbons wrote:We need to combine all these ideas together, stat!

Dances with Predators vs Pride Time in the Connecticut Court of Zombies?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tapehead on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Innaresting development, especially since Rodriguez is now doing this and about five other projects for major studios and still doesn't have that Director's Guild business sorted out...
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:39 am

THE NEWS OF THIS IS TITS!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Re: John McTiernan Offered to Remake "Predator"

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:58 am

What about Predators vs The Expendables?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm

How 'bout a version of The Ten Commandments in which Moses unleashes a plague of Predators on the Egyptians?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 pm

TheButcher wrote:What about Predators vs The Expendables?

Funny you should say that, because my first choice for the lead in this would be Sly.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Gerald Fried on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 am

Predators in the Second World War...

They inadvertantly change the course of history by wiping out the D-Day forces, allowing Germany to win.

Then they turn on the Nazis, allowing Jersey to win.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:31 am

From iesb:
Tom Rothman wrote:Robert is using the script he wrote more than 10 years ago.

From Screenwriters Utopia 05/24/01: Script Review: PREDATORS

Predators (negative, minor spoilers)
Written by Robert Rodriguez

I've heard that Robert Rodriguez wrote this partially for fun's sake. And while I'll admit that it's at times, "fun" to read. It meanders and goes nowhere fast. It doesn't hold with continuity established by the first Predator movie with Ah-nuld. The main problem is that there is no beginning and the ending is too obvious ahead of time.

Basically, a team of Marine commandos have captured Dutch (Ah-nuld from the first film...pay attention!) and are taking him back to a prison colony on another planet. (yeah, i know. Right away I was confused too but you have to suspend major belief) Anyway, when the commandos arrive on the planet they find a crucified Predator and the remains of the prison. The commandos are quickly overwhelmed and captured (a few are killed) and are taken back to the predator encampment where we see not only humans but other various creatures and monsters in cages. The other predators then have the random creatures fight each other.

The entire middle is devoted mainly to attempting to develop each Marine's character but after awhile, you lose interest. Anyways, during this gruesome sports combat, Dutch escapes as do a few other commandos who go after him. Dutch somehow knows why the one predator was crucified and releases him (he wasn't dead, just strung up). This predator was basically an outcast, a bad seed and proceeds to run roughshod over the encampment battling side by side with Dutch to kill all the other predators. Once that's done, we meet the predator king and hundreds of other predators arrive. It turns out that one of the commandos, JC, can actually communicate with the predators and this whole plan was to sacrifice Dutch to the predators because he had killed one way back on earth (the first movie, again). After a vicious battle between the two, and then between the predator king and Dutch, he manages to escape in a drop-ship along with the outcast predator. As they fly away, Dutch sees a monitor on the ship with coordinates to Earth. The realization dawns on him that Earth is the next target of the predators. Fade out.

The problem is an overlying "so what" to this whole script. First, I'd eliminate half of the commando team. Too many players to keep track of. Secondly, too many creatures that the predators have captured. When a story falls into "look at the cool CGI creatures and special effects we made" then the story suffers BIG time. This is the same reason why I really hope there is never an Aliens Vs. Predator movie. It, like this, would be just 2 hours of special effects. I'm not worried about PREDATORS being made in my lifetime. Which is a good thing. And that's the bottom line.
Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:06 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
TheButcher wrote:What about Predators vs The Expendables?

Funny you should say that, because my first choice for the lead in this would be Sly.

Check out this old rumor:
From IESB: AVP 2 Closer to Cameron's Aliens and Predator 3 Starring Sly Stallone?
Originally, they were going to follow AVP up with a fifth "Alien" film, one that would team Sigourney and Ridley again, but it didn't work out (for reasons I'm not privy to).

'Predator 3' (won't be called that), would be a brand new chapter in the series - and all those rumors about it starring The Rock or John Cena as Schwarzenegger's character, Dutch, aren't true.

One bit of a interesting talk is that Sylvester Stallone might be being coaxed to do battle with the new "Predator". Guess they're thinking someone who can equal Arnie's statue? Not that he'd be playing the same character. I'd say that the plan is solely on FOXs end, and not Sly's end - who seems to have enough 'franchises' on the go.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Gerald Fried on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:15 am

From Screenwriters Utopia 05/24/01: Script Review: PREDATORS

Predators (negative, minor spoilers)
Written by Robert Rodriguez

I've heard that Robert Rodriguez wrote this partially for fun's sake. And while I'll admit that it's at times, "fun" to read. It meanders and goes nowhere fast. It doesn't hold with continuity established by the first Predator movie with Ah-nuld. The main problem is that there is no beginning and the ending is too obvious ahead of time.

The problem is an overlying "so what" to this whole script. First, I'd eliminate half of the commando team. Too many players to keep track of. Secondly, too many creatures that the predators have captured. When a story falls into "look at the cool CGI creatures and special effects we made" then the story suffers BIG time. This is the same reason why I really hope there is never an Aliens Vs. Predator movie. It, like this, would be just 2 hours of special effects. I'm not worried about PREDATORS being made in my lifetime. Which is a good thing. And that's the bottom line.

The Predators don't capture creatures. They hunt and kill them. Big lame.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:23 am

The General doesn't take orders. He GIVES them.

Knew this story would sound shit. Just 'cos it's Robert Rodriguez everyone instantly thinks it's gonna be awesome. I bet I could write a better script. In 2 weeks!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:24 am

when I was about...oh 15,16, 17 or so, I had a similar idea (this would have been 93,94) Predators capturing "worthy warriors" from around the galaxy and pitting them in gladitor like contests with a human (with ironically had a Darth Maul like lazer quater staff thing) who was a colonial marine leading a group of rebels against the Predators

If I remember correctly it was a jungle planet, similar to Central America (ala Guatamala, where I had years earlier)

so umm damn you RR for stealing my ideas out of my head

and damn you George Lucas while I'm at it
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 am

Bloo wrote:when I was about...oh 15,16, 17 or so, I had a similar idea (this would have been 93,94) Predators capturing "worthy warriors" from around the galaxy and pitting them in gladitor like contests with a human (with ironically had a Darth Maul like lazer quater staff thing) who was a colonial marine leading a group of rebels against the Predators

Then afterwards the winner of the arena fights would be hunted by the Preds or given a chance to fight one or be given the right and freedom earned to let all the humans fight the Preds in an effort to destroy them, as the Preds already knew what the Marines' intentions were and they bowed to a 'code' of letting the humans prove their worthiness to fight them? Something like that?

Then what could be used of the other aliens I wonder, or their race?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:58 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:when I was about...oh 15,16, 17 or so, I had a similar idea (this would have been 93,94) Predators capturing "worthy warriors" from around the galaxy and pitting them in gladitor like contests with a human (with ironically had a Darth Maul like lazer quater staff thing) who was a colonial marine leading a group of rebels against the Predators

Then afterwards the winner of the arena fights would be hunted by the Preds or given a chance to fight one or be given the right and freedom earned to let all the humans fight the Preds in an effort to destroy them, as the Preds already knew what the Marines' intentions were and they bowed to a 'code' of letting the humans prove their worthiness to fight them? Something like that?

Then what could be used of the other aliens I wonder, or their race?

I didn't have it all worked out, I was 16...crap I thought CABLE was the coolest X-Men because he looked the coolest, what did I know

if I remember I don't think there was any option for freedom, thus the rebellion angle
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:15 am

If you write it, I'll put up the money. The Vicar can be the Ah-nuld character. My Tiger Sharks can wear some armour and can be an Alien race. Papalazeru can be the Predator. We gotsa moobee.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:22 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If you write it, I'll put up the money. The Vicar can be the Ah-nuld character. My Tiger Sharks can wear some armour and can be an Alien race. Papalazeru can be the Predator. We gotsa moobee.

you're on
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:If you write it, I'll put up the money. The Vicar can be the Ah-nuld character. My Tiger Sharks can wear some armour and can be an Alien race. Papalazeru can be the Predator. We gotsa moobee.

You need to have a romance angle, to appeal to the PG13 audience.

And girls love Zac Efron. So give him a part.

And Papalazeru isn't ethnic enough to be the Predator. Cast someone from a minority as it'll give the character some edge.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

And Papalazeru isn't ethnic enough to be the Predator. Cast someone from a minority as it'll give the character some edge.

Make Zac Efron's character bi sexual.
Then he can be in a love triangle with egyptian lover Pacino, and hottie Pacina.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gerald Fried on Fri May 01, 2009 6:04 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Then he can be in a love triangle with egyptian lover Pacino, and hottie Pacina.

That might alienate the white, racist, homophobe demographic. And trends show they buy more popcorn.
Gerald Fried
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bloo on Sat May 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Gerald Fried wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

That might alienate the white, racist, homophobe demographic. And trends show they buy more popcorn.

so the Predator kills Zac Effron and everyone is happy
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby travis-dane on Sun May 03, 2009 3:31 am

Bloo wrote:
Gerald Fried wrote:
BuckyO'harre wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

so the Predator kills Zac Effron and everyone is happy

But the Predator who kills him has to Black!with an Hello Kitty tattoo on his arm.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 03, 2009 11:03 pm

From /film: Alex Litvak Penning Predators

The Original 1996 PREDATORS script:
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/m1ust0
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:54 am

From AICN: Re: Arnold Schwarzeneggar and PREDATORS... the truth, not insane fanboy bullsh... well, you know!
Online news is amazing, much more exciting than real life!
There are so many sites saying that I'm actively pursuing Arnold!

Feels like all i have to do is sit here, and let the websites do the work!

Actually, what probably happened is someone conjured that up because of my 1994 draft, that had Dutch as a main character. And then it probably just built from there.

But no, we're still writing a new script, and although I know Arnold personally and he's the coolest person on the planet, I have not contacted him about this at all at this time.
As promised, I'll keep you posted on such developments since Predator is such a fan favorite.

But then again, he could very well have told someone he'd be into it. Who knows?
Personally, I haven't heard anything. But it's still early in the day.

-R
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Random Movie News

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

Bloody Disgusting:You'll never guess who is in close talks for PREDATORS.

I'm sure the boys over at Aint it Cool News can confirm this with Rodriguez when it's official, but Bloody-Disgusting is being told that NEIL MARSHALL is close to signing on to direct PREDATORS for 20th Century Fox. To be clear, the deal is NOT SIGNED just yet, but getting closer.

Neil Marshall directed one of the best horror films this decade, The Descent, along with Doomsday and popular Dog Soldiers
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:11 pm

BuckyO'harre wrote:Bloody Disgusting:You'll never guess who is in close talks for PREDATORS.

I'm sure the boys over at Aint it Cool News can confirm this with Rodriguez when it's official, but Bloody-Disgusting is being told that NEIL MARSHALL is close to signing on to direct PREDATORS for 20th Century Fox. To be clear, the deal is NOT SIGNED just yet, but getting closer.

Neil Marshall directed one of the best horror films this decade, The Descent, along with Doomsday and popular Dog Soldiers

Cool,
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion