What movies are you embarrassed to love?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby tfactor on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Hudson Hawk - side by side, great stuff!

Would you like to swing on a star....
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Duses Wild on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:32 pm

The Last Boy Scout - I'm not embarrassed at all to love this movie.
Duses Wild
GLIB

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:32 pm

Gigli - I can explain later.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby DerLanghaarige on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:45 pm

(I'm still not emberassed, but)

- Jersey Girl
- Snow Day
- Some Bruckheimer Stuff (But not The Rock and Gone in 60 Seconds! I swear!)
- Safety Patrol (I think it's a Disney Channel Original movie, but I'm not sure about it. It contains guest appereances by Leslie Nielsen and Weird Al Yankovic)
- Eight Legged Freaks (I can't believe how ANYONE can hate this film!)
- Burton's Planet Of The Apes
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Petri on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:50 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:- Eight Legged Freaks (I can't believe how ANYONE can hate this film!)

I agree. It's just a really fun movie.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:59 pm

8 Legged Freaks is a fun flick

one of my favorite movies of the last few yrs that would probably be appropriate to list here......The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. i guess having 4 kids help to appreciate it, but even if i didn't have kids i'd still probably dig it given my ingrained resistance to growing up. on the laugh/minute ratio scale it ranks way up there for me.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Clueless.......yeah, you heard!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:41 pm

hmmm - maybe not love - but enjoy - "A Walk to Remember..." - gotta love me some mandy moore...

it's such utter tripe and melodramatic cliches... so i have no clue why i enjoyed that movie that coupla of time i watched it on tv...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:42 pm

First one's a category, but ill-defined, pretty much I'm a sucker for all movies like Leviathan and Deep Blue Sea, wherein the plot has some derivation from Alien, and the cast group is varied and well-populated with lots of people you're pretty sure you know from something else, but you're not sure what. Then the game of 'What Order Do They Die In?' begins, with extra super bonus points for anyone that called the daily double in Deep Blue of Sam Jackson kicking out so early and LL Cool J as the ship's cook making it all the way to the end. Recently, The Cave fits this category.

Also, pretty much everything Mickey Rourke was in, in the eighties...from Johnny Handsome to Desperate Hours, they were beauties, all.

And finally, Lone Wolf McQuade, not just for Norris DRIVING out of a 'buried alive' situation, but due to some artfully done editing to make the fight scene betwixt Carradine and Norris seem nearly believable, while also mind-numbingly slow.
Last edited by Kilgore on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Kilgore wrote:First one's a category, but ill-defined, pretty much I'm a sucker for all movies like Leviathan and Deep Blue Sea, wherein the plot has some derivation from Alien, and the cast group is varied and well-populated with lots of people you're pretty sure you know from something else, but you're not sure what. Then the game of 'What Order Do They Die In?' begins, with extra super bonus points for anyone that called the daily double in Deep Blue of Sam Jackson kicking out so early and LL Cool J as the ship's cook making it all the way to the end. Recently, The Cave fits this category.

I can heartily recommend the 1980's straight to Video film "DeepStar Six" which is very similar to Leviathon only without the parasite thing.

Any UK Zoners know WTF happened to Leviathon in the UK? It was released on video but it seemed to just completely disappear off the face of the planet, never on TV, never available to buy or rent a couple of months after release, I remember it being a good laugh.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:54 pm

DeepStarSix was teh bomb... that shit was cool - from what i remember of it cause i watched it as a youngling...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:55 pm

Thanks JL, I was trying to remember Deep-Star Six because as I recall Leviathan, DeepStar and The Abyss all came out within a year of each other, and followed the same general 'underwater terror' vibe.

This subject also reminds me, there was a time when if Peter Weller was in it, I was watching it....
Last edited by Kilgore on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:57 pm

Kilgore wrote:Thanks JL, I was trying to remember Deep-Star Six because as I recall Leviathan, DeepStarand The Abyss all came out within a year of each other, and followed the same general 'underwater terror' vibe.

This subject also reminds me, there was a time when if Peter Weller was in it, I was watching it....

that TIME IS NOW... peter weller rocks... SCREAMERS is a guilty pleasure film as well... like a buddy of mine said when it first came out - it has to be good - the trailers don't name any of the stars - you just know peter weller's in it and it's cool - so why bother mentioning it...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Kilgore on Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:59 pm

Also...MindHunters fits this category of film wonderfully, adding expansion to the Deep Blue twist by killing off the only two major names in the cast half-an-hour or so into it.

Okay, maybe I'm pushing the definition of 'major' when referring to Christian Slater, but you know what I mean.[/u]
Kilgore
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:10 pm

i was watching the History Channel series on Rome and who do i end up seeing as an academic talking head? Peter Weller! seems he does part time work teaching at Syracuse University.

"If The Terminator can become the governor of California, why can't RoboCop embrace academia? Yes, that was RoboCop himself — sans body armor and face shield — discussing ancient Roman architecture on the History Channel's Sept. 5 documentary Rome: Engineering an Empire. Robo's qualification? Peter Weller, the 58-year-old actor who portrayed him in the 1987 film and its 1990 sequel, moonlights as a literature and fine arts teacher at Syracuse University in New York." --thats from EW.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby John-Locke on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:11 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
Kilgore wrote:Thanks JL, I was trying to remember Deep-Star Six because as I recall Leviathan, DeepStarand The Abyss all came out within a year of each other, and followed the same general 'underwater terror' vibe.

that TIME IS NOW... peter weller rocks... SCREAMERS is a guilty pleasure film as well... like a buddy of mine said when it first came out - it has to be good - the trailers don't name any of the stars - you just know peter weller's in it and it's cool - so why bother mentioning it...

What I loved about back then was the way he was always reffered to as Peter "Robocop" Weller, I swear I thought that was his real name until I was 12.

True Weller fans should check out his weird performance in "Ivans XTC" it's a flawed film but worth a look.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Oh yeah. I also loves me some Space Truckers.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:33 am

I just love the movie "Angus" (anybody but me remember it?). A movie every misfit should love.

Plus the soundtrack kicked seven shades of ass.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:I just love the movie "Angus" (anybody but me remember it?). A movie every misfit should love.

Have you read IGN's interview with Angus director Patrick Read Johnson?

The man's got some fascinating stories about working in the studio system, especially regarding the changes made to Angus, as well as visiting the sets of Star Wars and Close Encounters.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:53 am

The Garbage Man wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:I just love the movie "Angus" (anybody but me remember it?). A movie every misfit should love.

Have you read IGN's interview with Angus director Patrick Read Johnson?

The man's got some fascinating stories about working in the studio system, especially regarding the changes made to Angus, as well as visiting the sets of Star Wars and Close Encounters.

Shit! I didn't know that he was the guy behind 5-25-77! Now I'm even more interested. Most of the rest of his filmography is rather unfortunate however... chock full of movies anyone would be embarassed to love.

Thanks for the link TGM!
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:00 am

No problem.

I know what you mean about his filmography, but it seems as though a lot of them weren't his fault.
I'm primed for 5-25-77 after that interview, too. Johnson comes across as a huge movie geek who, through a little luck and a lot of persistance, made his dreams come true.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Lady Sheridan on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:18 am

I'm going to echo braniac with Dracula 2000 (I still think that movie had a good Dracula twist, worthier of a darker film) and Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life.

Van Helsing. Although I say it with pride, because it is a long thing between a friend and me. "Gabriel...ohhh Gabriel...such a burden...such a curse...to be ze left hand ovf Gohd!!"

Encino Man

Kate and Leopold (gotta have one chick flick, sorry)

Cutthroat Island--before pirates became cool I was rocking this movie. Geena Davis makes a hot, cool pirate, what can I say.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:32 am

(And I'm still not emberaassed)

Alien:Resurrection (I HATED it, whan I watched it for the first time [but Perlman was cool!]. Meanwhile it's my favourite!)
Someone said Space Truckers! I second that!
Did I already said Vertical Limit?
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:42 pm

This one.

Hang on, actually I'm NOT embarressed, I'm very proud in fact. I'll sing it from the rooftops and if you don't like it, you'll have to order 6 biplanes to shoot me down.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby DanielSan on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:51 pm

ABSOLUTELY! The movie is great! Plus, I, too, have the soundtrack!
DanielSan
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Peven wrote:8 Legged Freaks is a fun flick

ahhhh yes - scarlett johanssen and kari wuhrer in a movie together - can't go wrong - wish it would've been a story about incest instead though...mmmmmm....
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:01 pm

havocSchultz wrote:

ahhhh yes - scarlett johanssen and kari wuhrer in a movie together - can't go wrong - wish it would've been a story about incest instead though...mmmmmm....

Johanssen & Wurhrer were the reasons I checked out this flick - especially Wuhrer. Freaks was okay as well; just seemed a bit like Tremors-lite...
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:03 pm

i have no problem enjoying a cheesy movie that celebrates its cheesiness like 8 Legged freaks does. and having some nice eye candy to go with it is always a plus.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:05 pm

The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Johanssen & Wurhrer were the reasons I checked out this flick - especially Wuhrer. Freaks was okay as well; just seemed a bit like Tremors-lite...

Tremors and 8 Legged freaks would make a great saturday afternoon matinee double-bill. break out the bong, pop-corn maker, fiddle-faddle, and sit back to enjoy the ride. :D :lol:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Just wished that Scarlett Johanson would have got it on with some of those 8 Legged Freaks. I reckon she'd be up for it. Venomous species. The Freaks too.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm

fun little fact - 8 Legged Freaks was originally supposed to be called "Arac Attack" but some higher-ups in suits figured it sounded too much like "Iraq Attack" and they thought it gave the wrong impression of the movie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:08 pm

Peven wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Tremors and 8 Legged freaks would make a great saturday afternoon matinee double-bill. break out the bong, pop-corn maker, fiddle-faddle, and sit back to enjoy the ride. :D :lol:

Yeeeah boooy!! Now that's an afternoon well spent. But if you're breaking out the bong, I needs me some M&Ms to go with.
The Vicar

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:13 pm

havocSchultz wrote:fun little fact - 8 Legged Freaks was originally supposed to be called "Arac Attack" but some higher-ups in suits figured it sounded too much like "Iraq Attack" and they thought it gave the wrong impression of the movie...

In Germany it's still called Arac Attack :lol:
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby havocSchultz on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:15 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Peven wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Yeeeah boooy!! Now that's an afternoon well spent. But if you're breaking out the bong, I needs me some M&Ms to go with.

mmmm... peanutbutter m&m's... the best dope munchie...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Is it threads like this that give rise to sequels like UNDERWORLD:EVOLUTION? Someone spare me the pain....any good? The last one gave my brain the ass-raping it never deserved...even Kate "English Rose" Beckinsale in black PVC couldn't save it.....(I guess POISON were right all along eh?)
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:44 pm

Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Icarus on Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Oh god.....ROADHOUSE anyone? anyone? But but but but....it was the film that first brought Virgil Earp to my attention....no?

"Taxi for Icarus...."
"I flew too close to the sun and if I had my time over I'd do it again"
Icarus
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:16 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Peven wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

It's right about now that we should all be praying that the NSA isn't wired into this site...
The Vicar

Postby bAzTNM on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:24 pm

Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach always cracks me up.
bAzTNM
GLIB

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:26 pm

Adding a new one.

Waiting.

Funniest movie about the restraunt biz.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby havocSchultz on Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Peven wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

It's right about now that we should all be praying that the NSA isn't wired into this site...

fuck the NSA... i'm canadian... now - CSIS on the other hand.... oh wait... ha... :lol:
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby The Vicar on Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:36 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
Peven wrote:
The Vicar wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

fuck the NSA... i'm canadian... now - CSIS on the other hand.... oh wait... ha... :lol:

Ah, don't feel sooo cocky, my lucky to be living in a land with groovy liberal pot laws, national health care and all that jazz friend. Our beloved NSA don't got to respect no stinking international borders...they go where the sin is, be it Afghanistan, Iraq or British Columbia. But I'd never rat you out... if there's anyone watching. I mean, if you were to send me a columbian telegram....um, I mean...oh sod it. What was I saying? This room smells funny.....
The Vicar

I Am Ashamed To Say I Love

Postby wharto on Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Euro Trip
Suck My Balls!
wharto
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:18 am

Police Academy 1 - 6
(No love for part 7, although it's with Perlman and Lee)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:29 pm

The Last Action Hero.....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:The Last Action Hero.....

BAH! The Last Action Hero was a great flick! Nothing to be embarrassed about for liking that!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:49 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:The Last Action Hero.....

BAH! The Last Action Hero was a great flick! Nothing to be embarrassed about for liking that!

I'll even watch the crappy pan and scan version that's been running on HBO lately.
"He says you killed Moe Zart"
"Could be....I kill a lot of people..I can't keep track."
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cap on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:54 pm

Vegeta wrote:Sorry Queen soundtrack...

Oh yeah... "Hawkmen... DIVE!"

priceless.... truly priceless

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:57 pm

Steve Martin's The Jerk also comes to mind.
"Damn these glasses!"
"I damn thee!"
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:02 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:Steve Martin's The Jerk also comes to mind.
"Damn these glasses!"
"I damn thee!"

He hates those cans!!! Stay away from those cans!!

Still a damned funny film, & it has Bernedette Peters ( oooooooh).

No shame involved.
The Vicar

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion