What movies are you embarrassed to love?

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby sputo on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:45 pm

as much as everyone hates it...Krull, haven't seen it in a while, but I remember liking it a lot, the soundtrack as well....oh!, and Flash Gordon, the scene where the winged ones attack the ship...but more than that was the music during the scene..the synth part...that to me was great as a kid.
sputo
GLIB

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:48 pm

I really enjoyed The Fifth Element, dunno why everyone seems to hate it so much. Yeah, it's corny as hell in places, but very few sci-fi films aren't.....

Oh, and I think Armageddon is great too
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DocPazuzu on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Oh God, where to begin?

In no particular order: The Beastmaster, Waterworld, The Postman, Deuce Bigalow, The Last Starfighter, Kiss of the Dragon, Megiddo: Omega Code 2, On Deadly Ground, I Come In Peace, Gargoyles, Streets of Fire, Leviathan, Howling 2, Deep Rising, Reign of Fire, Freddy vs Jason, The Ninth Gate, The Golden Child, Revenge of the Ninja, Species 2, Split Second, and many, many more... Some too heinous to ever be mentioned to another living soul.

DocP
Now cough.
DocPazuzu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Spoon AZ on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:54 pm

I'd have to say Serendipity.

It's total chick-flick crap, but it's got Piven and Cusack together in a x-mas movie. That rocks.

Pivens speech on the plane at the end will get you misty.

Oh and Kate Beckinsale has never looked hotter than she did in this movie.
Spoon AZ
GLIB

Postby NivekJ1 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:06 pm

Disorderlies, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, and Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.

Oh, I'm sorry. This is supposed to be about movies I'm EMBARRASSED to love. Whoops...
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams.
NivekJ1
GLIB

Postby monorail77 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:38 pm

Don't know if I'm actually embarrassed, but here goes:

My Favourite Year - Peter O'Toole is gold! "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!" So is Joe Bologna! "No tongue on show day! Tongue: Death!" "What's that smell? Oh, its your monologue!" ...And so many other quotables. Just love it.

Wargames - "Hell, I'd pisson a sparkplug if I thought it'd help"

Meteor - Karl Malden shouts every line!

Tron - "Greetings programs!" "Now THAT is a big door!"

Star Trek II - "There is an old Klingon proverb...."

The Woman in Red - Gene Wilder is just way too funny. And Kelly LeBrock - va Voom! I've always wanted someone to do the blind guy routine, just to cheer me up.

The Hand - Michael Caine and a Killer Hand! Directed By Oliver Stone!! What more do you need?

Sweet Liberty - more Michael Caine. And Alan Alda too!

There's just too many more to mention. Maybe I'll post again later
monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby El Che' on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:41 pm

Drop Zone -- I don't deserve to live.

"What kind of thing do you do?"

"Anger... Pain... Fear... Aggression."
El Che'
GLIB

Postby DocPazuzu on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Monorail, My Favorite Year is a GREAT comedy! Why the hell would you be ashamed of loving that one? Endlessly quotable.

"Am I from Minsk or Pinsk? So, did you shtup her?"

"Go ahead and lash me you swine! You'll not loosen my tongue!"

"Welcome to our humble chapeau!"

DocP
Now cough.
DocPazuzu
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 pm

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I really enjoyed The Fifth Element, dunno why everyone seems to hate it so much. Yeah, it's corny as hell in places, but very few sci-fi films aren't.....

Oh, and I think Armageddon is great too

With you on both. Actually, I own both. Special Edition and Critetion Collection, respectively.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby St. on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:51 pm

Modern Problems, of course that's probably due to the fact that they ran it and Empire Strikes back a gazillion times a day back when HBO and Cinemax first started.

Critters is also a good one. You just gotta love the monstrous Critter deathball running people over towards the end.
St.
GLIB

Postby MikeFly on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:53 pm

For some reason Varsity Blues just grew on me - I ended up seeing it 3 times in 1 week for various circumstancial reasons...
Improvise, always.
MikeFly
GLIB

Postby Spoon AZ on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:55 pm

I friggin love Varsity Blues.

Probably cuz I went to similar high school and loved football
Spoon AZ
GLIB

Postby griff311 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:16 pm

I love Hudson Hawk with Bruce Willis. The characters in that are so strange and the CIA agents with candy bar code names cracks me up.
griff311
GLIB

Postby monorail77 on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:18 pm

Thanks Doc. And back at you:

"You have Merle Oberon's eyes." "Oh really, and what's Merle doing for eyes, using Katherine Hepburn's?"
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby freak2thec0re on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:45 pm

I've always been a bit embarassed to list Moulin Rouge among my favorite movies of all time . . . well, at least to guys that is. Girls seem to love a guy loving Moulin Rouge
freak2thec0re
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:47 pm

With a handle like freak2thec0re, I'm betting you've got worse things in your closet than Moulin Rouge.

Don't be ashamed. I love it too.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:51 pm

I love TITANIC - there i've said it , ive come out of the closet with Burl (not that im saying he likes Titanic - he may not - but he probably does).
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nabocho on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:53 pm

-Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
-Freddy vs. Jason
-FBI (Frikis Buscan Incordiar, spanish nonsense, but so funny)
-Revenge Of The Nerds
-Toxic Avenger IV
-The Mummy Returns
-Spiderbabe (erotic parody, cheesy and lovely, the way i like it!)
-Titanic
-All Michael Bay (not the whole Pearl Harbor, but most of it)
-All Lucio Fulci movies with zombies

There´s so many, I´m some kind of movie coprophagous :D (but in the end, i´m not ashamed for loving all this movies, hehe).

And Moulin Rouge too, with true love!
Nabocho
GLIB

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:56 pm

PCU has made me cry before, seriously.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm

DocPazuzu wrote:Oh God, where to begin?

In no particular order: The Beastmaster, Waterworld, The Postman, Deuce Bigalow, The Last Starfighter, Kiss of the Dragon, Megiddo: Omega Code 2, On Deadly Ground, I Come In Peace, Gargoyles, Streets of Fire, Leviathan, Howling 2, Deep Rising, Reign of Fire, Freddy vs Jason, The Ninth Gate, The Golden Child, Revenge of the Ninja, Species 2, Split Second, and many, many more... Some too heinous to ever be mentioned to another living soul.

DocP

The Last Starfighter............respect is due!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:04 pm

SHORT CIRCUIT!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby St. Alphonzo on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:09 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:SHORT CIRCUIT!

Come back to us Flumm
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby doglips on Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:14 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
thedoglippedone wrote:SHORT CIRCUIT!

Come back to us Flumm

It has now been officially too long, now I need more input........
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Nabocho on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:09 am

I really like the Matrix sequels! Both! Shame on me! :oops:
Surry phor my krappy inglish xD
Nabocho
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 am

Canniball Holocaust. I just get off on those killings and mutilations so much.

The Thumbsucking scene in Texas Chainsaw Massacre gets me off all the time.

I also get real turned on at the Tree Rape scene in The Evil Dead.

I'm not embarressed to say this. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Come one people, be brave, own up.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:34 am

Grannies and Trannies 7...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Iconoclastica on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:53 am

Hackers

and I'm a girl, so I can't even defend that it's because of Angelina Jolie . . . though Jonny Lee Miller has his moments ^_^

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Chief Redcock on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:15 am

I've always been a big Alien 3-head. Everyone hates that one, and I admit that it has some serious script and character problems... but I think the key is to watch the movie with a mind toward what it could've been as opposed to what it is, errr, exactly. That is, you should bear in mind that had Vincent Ward been given the project to run with - or had David Fincher been given the same - the thing could've bloody well been a masterpiece to top the first two movies and then some. As is, I still get caught up in the bottomless nihilism, the pseudo-religion, the heady, existential, Passion of Joan of Arc-by-way-of-MTV ballsiness of the thing. It's a good example of a movie with talent to spare (so many great actors, a fucking brilliant director) with, errr, in WH Macy's words, nowhere to put it. Parts of the film still, I find, really work, and the parts that don't we can blame meddling producers for. Anyone agree, disagree?

This is my first post to the Zone ever, by the way. Please be kind. Thanx!
Chief Redcock
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:25 am

MasterWhedon wrote:
JamieCOTC wrote:Independence Day - It's a lame rip-off of War of the Worlds, but I love Randy Quaid's final scene!

Am I the only one who tears up slightly when he's talking to his son?

No, I've shed tears during that scene as well.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:27 am

I was embarrassed to love the movie Orange County when I made a reference to it in my Shakespeare thread and nobody knew what the fuck I was talking about. :cry: Hilarious movie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:31 am

Oh, and welcome Chief... I won't ask how you got the name...

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:40 am

Chief Redcock wrote:I've always been a big Alien 3-head. Everyone hates that one, and I admit that it has some serious script and character problems... but I think the key is to watch the movie with a mind toward what it could've been as opposed to what it is, errr, exactly. That is, you should bear in mind that had Vincent Ward been given the project to run with - or had David Fincher been given the same - the thing could've bloody well been a masterpiece to top the first two movies and then some. As is, I still get caught up in the bottomless nihilism, the pseudo-religion, the heady, existential, Passion of Joan of Arc-by-way-of-MTV ballsiness of the thing. It's a good example of a movie with talent to spare (so many great actors, a fucking brilliant director) with, errr, in WH Macy's words, nowhere to put it. Parts of the film still, I find, really work, and the parts that don't we can blame meddling producers for. Anyone agree, disagree?

This is my first post to the Zone ever, by the way. Please be kind. Thanx!

Ya Man. First of all, welcome aboard the Starship Enterprise and The Phantom Zone. This here, is my girl, Supergirl. Yes, yes, it's nice to meet her too, but DON'T TOUCH HER!!

Anyway. Alien 3. Fucking intruiging. The way it seemed so ahead of it's time, and now more suited to the darkness that ironically films like Seven have made fashionable these days.

I mean when I first heard how this film begins I was like WTF!?!?!?! But you gotta consider that this is what HORROR is! I loved the first 40 minutes of that film, despite how sickened I was about killing off those characters.

The rest of the film is a bit shite, considering they spent all that time to discover what the audience already knew. 'Course there was a fucking Alien.

Although there were character problems, I did like the way that many of the characters were illustrated. Without morals, evil bastards or complete Struggling Background Artists opr idiots - that showed real humanity in dealing ith the beast. My favourite character was the one that survived. Best performance of the prisoners, next to Charles Dance. Whatever happened to that guy after he got taken home?

Charles Dance going out so suddenly when you thought he would give hope was cool too.

What project was Vincent Ward and Fincher originally gonna do then, that would have been better than the first 2? Gotta hear about this.

When I first saw the closing credits come up on screen on my first viewing, I said "What a fucking shit film!".

Now I don't mind so much, but then again with films that 'grow' on you, you gotta consider that with repeated viewings on 'TV' itself, you're criticisms are less harsh - as you're paying a different attention to it, than at the pictures.

Why do you think I like Jerry Maguire now?

Tell me more about Alien 3 anyway. I think I or someone else mentioned this in the Underrated Movies thread that I made up.

My very own Star Trek: The Motion Picture's up there too you know?

Kirk out.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Who is the answer to why...

Postby brainiac on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:32 am

Dracula 2000 -- can't beat a pretty-faced Drac with a dash of religious backstory and a hint of incest... and did I mention Jeri Ryan's cleavage?

Timeline -- totally botched version of a crap book but there is something about a time-traveling archeologist hero with one ear that gets to me.

Lara Croft:Tomb Raider 2 - The Cradle of Life -- silly, over the top, excessive and those are its good points but ya' gotta' love a good/bad guy that cuts a deal with Croft then says "Does that make me Faust or the devil?"
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

What movies are you embarrassed to love?

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:34 am

Well,

Spy Kids

and.....

Road house....
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:44 am

Dracula 2000, really? Even the extended ad for Virgin megastore and a small part for the idiot from That 70s Show?
At least it is better than Dracula 3000, which isn't its sequel,but wants you to think it is, which features a sem-retarded alien Dracula running very fast around a spaceship chasing 8th rate rappers...

Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:40 pm

Gus Van Sant's Psycho. Supposedly Quentin Tarantino and I are the only people unassociated with the film that seem to like it.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Gus Van Sant's Psycho. Supposedly Quentin Tarantino and I are the only people unassociated with the film that seem to like it.

I'm eager to see this one again. I remember loving the ending, with the static shot of the car slowly sinking into the swamp at the end.

Am a big fan of Chris Doyle also as a cinematographer, especially when he's working on a Wong Kar-Wai film, so when he teams up with Gus Van Sant you know its gonna be at least a good looking film. That tracking shot at the opening which starts off of the apartment block and goes on to move into the room window is great. When I see it again, I'll be eager to spot more. Can't be any worse than the original, which it has to said is dating and lacks much of the charm Hitchcock normally delivers.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Okay...

Postby MrLauze on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:58 pm

I'm probably going to be shunned forever...but i thought "Josie and the Pussycats" was a phenomenally funny movie. Allan Cumming was brilliant...and the whole plot of subliminal messaging, with the movie being exactly that...was damn fuckin funny. And the girls were cute to boot.

"Holy shit there's a skunk on her head! Oh, wait. That's your hair. Still, that's messed up." Classic.

And if anyone can tell me they didn't laugh at the crew of DuJour and their hit, "Back Door Lover" has no soul. That's funny.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel a lot better. :)
"We've spared no expense"
MrLauze
GLIB

Postby Sensei Diu-k on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:13 pm

Predator 2 - King Willie rules, and it has Bill Paxton in it how bad can it be.

Demolition Man - Snipes is god in this thing.

LXG - "This is Africa. Sweating is what we do"

Freddy Got Fingered - "If you want to be an animator. Get INSIDE the animals"

My Gigant - This gave me a tear.

Burn Hollywood Burn - "Comedy is my art, that's why i'm f&#$ing starving!" Stallone rules a s Stallone.

Super Mario Bros - "Shoot Plummers!"

The Rundown - "Do you... understand... the concept...of the Tooth Fairy?"
Too bad.
Sensei Diu-k
GLIB

Location: Passing through a deep state of intangible subconsiousness in the comfortness of my own filthy home.

Postby Sensei Diu-k on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:18 pm

Woops. Double post.
Too bad.
Sensei Diu-k
GLIB

Location: Passing through a deep state of intangible subconsiousness in the comfortness of my own filthy home.

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:29 pm

magicmonkey wrote:
Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Gus Van Sant's Psycho. Supposedly Quentin Tarantino and I are the only people unassociated with the film that seem to like it.

Am a big fan of Chris Doyle also as a cinematographer

Have you seen Jon Favreau's Made? Doyle was the DP on that too.

magicmonkey wrote:That tracking shot at the opening which starts off of the apartment block and goes on to move into the room window is great.

Agreed. It was digital though, the only way you can pull it off without dissolves, like the first one did. This was probably the only improvement upon the original, but nevertheless, both films have a special place in my heart.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:43 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Have you seen Jon Favreau's Made? Doyle was the DP on that too.

Nope. Cheers for the heads up. Have you seen Fallen Angels? My personal favourite of Doyles.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Re: Okay...

Postby Seppuku on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:10 am

MrLauze wrote:I'm probably going to be shunned forever...but i thought "Josie and the Pussycats" was a phenomenally funny movie. Allan Cumming was brilliant...and the whole plot of subliminal messaging, with the movie being exactly that...was damn fuckin funny. And the girls were cute to boot.

"Holy shit there's a skunk on her head! Oh, wait. That's your hair. Still, that's messed up." Classic.

And if anyone can tell me they didn't laugh at the crew of DuJour and their hit, "Back Door Lover" has no soul. That's funny.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel a lot better. :)

This will now be in the history books as the first thing you ever posted on the Zone...

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby bluebottle on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:22 am

Iconoclastica wrote:Hackers

HAHAHAHA, that movies TERRIBLE!

And I should know, I've seen it like five times.

:roll:
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Iconoclastica on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:30 am

yeah I'm shameless . . . and the worst part is, I'm a girl - it should some romantic comedy or something . . . but no, I'm stuck in my ways. "1984, yeah right man, that's a typo - Orwell's here now - we have no names, man, we are nameless" :D

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby swadetheking on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:33 am

Holy shit. i like all of those movies AND LOVED PEARL HARBOUR!!!!! Bay is a genius and the world agrees.
But Ill add a few BE-uTYs
- Anything by steven segal (Exit wounds rocks)
- Queen of the damned (mmm .. vampires)
The King has spoken..
swadetheking
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby The Garbage Man on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:23 am

swadetheking wrote:Bay is a genius and the world agrees.

Sensei Diu-k wrote:The Rundown - "Do you... understand... the concept...of the Tooth Fairy?"

Definitely an underrated movie, especially if you go into it not expecting much. Walken is quirky gold, as usual, and The Rock and Sean William Scott have pretty good chemistry.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:44 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Chief Redcock wrote:I've always been a big Alien 3-head. Everyone hates that one, and I admit that it has some serious script and character problems... but I think the key is to watch the movie with a mind toward what it could've been as opposed to what it is, errr, exactly.

Anyway. Alien 3. Fucking intruiging. The way it seemed so ahead of it's time, and now more suited to the darkness that ironically films like Seven have made fashionable these days.

I'm with you guys on this one, but I never really got an explanation on why this film is so reviled. I quite enjoyed it, and find that it was a solid effort. I personally didn't get bludgeoned by the monk and Joan of Arc themes of it, and honestly I don't think we should be ashamed to like Alien 3!

One movie I am ashamed to like though, is Alien Resurrection.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby swadetheking on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:09 am

Have you seen walken in communion???
Weird.. i was amazed to see him playing with an
inflatable - yes you heard right - infllatable alien.
Mind you the music by Tomy Emanual rocks!!
The King has spoken..
swadetheking
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby swadetheking on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:10 am

The Garbage Man wrote:
swadetheking wrote:Bay is a genius and the world agrees.

Sensei Diu-k wrote:The Rundown - "Do you... understand... the concept...of the Tooth Fairy?"

Definitely an underrated movie, especially if you go into it not expecting much. Walken is quirky gold, as usual, and The Rock and Sean William Scott have pretty good chemistry.

OH yes the world does agree..
Its the just the movie geeks..that well... you know ....dont.
The King has spoken..
swadetheking
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion