MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Al Shut on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:14 pm

From time to time some of the bad guys have to be arrested. You just can't shoot everybody.

Although Lady Sheridan seems to disagree.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:55 pm

Yeah, but if you take the time to arrest them, that inevitably leads to the next cliche...where a suit drives up and comes up with some technicality so you let him go. "Diplomatic immunity!"

And then you spend two hours trying to put him behind bars, and you end up shooting him.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:00 pm

I don't know if it's already been brought up in this thread, but I fucking hate prophecy in my films (or any medium, for that matter). Why must hero's be chosen, their actions decided by fate rather than themselves? It's boring, lazy writing, and to a point, cliche.

Also, which was brought up in the cliche genre thread, Nazi's/Neo Nazi's, cliche evil villains that are always saluting Nazi flags hidden in dark, back rooms. Bah!
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:40 pm

On the prophecy front, I suppose it all depends on how its handled. If it's simply a catalyst to start an adventure, but it doesn't dictate the end of it, that could be okay. And in fantasy type films (with their gods and monsters), prophecies don't really seem out of place.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Ginger Man on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:45 pm

RogueScribner wrote:On the prophecy front, I suppose it all depends on how its handled. If it's simply a catalyst to start an adventure, but it doesn't dictate the end of it, that could be okay. And in fantasy type films (with their gods and monsters), prophecies don't really seem out of place.

It may not seem out of place in fantasy, but it's certainly cliche. And again, I just find it lazy and uninteresting. There is no true hero's journey if he's prophicied to save the world. It's also bad character motivation. There has to be a better reason for people to save the world other than "I have to. I'm the chosen one."
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:54 pm

The Ginger Man wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:On the prophecy front, I suppose it all depends on how its handled. If it's simply a catalyst to start an adventure, but it doesn't dictate the end of it, that could be okay. And in fantasy type films (with their gods and monsters), prophecies don't really seem out of place.

It may not seem out of place in fantasy, but it's certainly cliche. And again, I just find it lazy and uninteresting. There is no true hero's journey if he's prophicied to save the world. It's also bad character motivation. There has to be a better reason for people to save the world other than "I have to. I'm the chosen one."

Cliché maybe, but not always bad. A character's reaction and conflicts with that prophecy can still be interesting, even if we do end up in place where we knew we were always headed. Slayers are the prophecized saviors of the world destined to die young and activate the new prophecy girl. Buffy railed against that prophecy and succeeded. Yes, she is the Chosen One, but she does it on her own terms. She isn't simply fate's bitch, in this regard. :)

TONY DEWONDERFUL wrote:Have you ever noticed that when two star-crossed lovers finally overcome their initial hostility and mid-act misunderstanding and fall into bed, it's never the woman's period.

You know, I've often wondered about that. I mean, statistically speaking, it's bound to happen, right? The only time I've seen a woman use a period as an excuse not to have sex was in Showgirls. Just further proof that Joe Eszterhas knows women!!! 8)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:06 pm

DorkmanScott wrote:
jgraphix wrote:The shot where the hero is running from an explosion and jumps for cover ( a cliché in itself) into water and we get the cam shot of them swimming with the fire above them.

The shot of the explosion behind a person as they jump/dive for cover has never, ever worked. I have never seen it done in any way that doesn't look stupid.

C'mon. Die Hard? That's gotta be the most iconic moment from that movie!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 pm

All those big massive CG'd explosions where something comes flying at at the screen.

BOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:19 pm

Or how about the fact that every movie trailer ends with a shot of the main credits and then BAM! There's a monster or animal or something ROARING REAL LOUD AND/OR CRASHING THROUGH SOMETHING to startle you.

LAME
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Lady Sheridan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Or the variation, when you see the title, and then you get a shot of the two main characters, all sweaty and out of breath.

"Is it gone?"
"It has to be."

RRAWRRRRRRR!!
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:44 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
The Ginger Man wrote:

Cliché maybe, but not always bad. A character's reaction and conflicts with that prophecy can still be interesting, even if we do end up in place where we knew we were always headed. Slayers are the prophecized saviors of the world destined to die young and activate the new prophecy girl. Buffy railed against that prophecy and succeeded. Yes, she is the Chosen One, but she does it on her own terms. She isn't simply fate's bitch, in this regard. :)

I completely agree with Ginger especially when it comes to all the bullshit love of Royalty in romantic tales (I loathe the idea of royals, royalty, blood borne magical leaders).......He has the blood of the King in his veins (though he doesn't know it or denies it or hides from it) and eventually he will lead his people to victory over the monsters or other people or people monsters or whatever.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some Watery Tart threw a sword at you. I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:04 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
I completely agree with Ginger especially when it comes to all the bullshit love of Royalty in romantic tales (I loathe the idea of royals, royalty, blood borne magical leaders).......He has the blood of the King in his veins (though he doesn't know it or denies it or hides from it) and eventually he will lead his people to victory over the monsters or other people or people monsters or whatever.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some Watery Tart threw a sword at you. I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

There are as much evil kings as good ones, and the good ones aren't good because they're kings but because they are the heroes of the movie. In some movies modern democracys would just feel out of place.

Anyway everything is better than the stupid star wars prequel Naboo system were the royals are elected, which doesn't make any sense at all. But they also had an senate that adopts proposals via an applause-o-meter so I shouldn't be suprised.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:05 am

"So this is how liberty dies . . . with thunderous applause."
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:30 am

How about in a horror film where someone says,

"Lets split up"

Or how about in trailers when you have a guy with a super deep voice saying.

'...the edge of your seat...' or
'best/funniest/greatest movie of all time/the year/this decade"

Or how about a kids film where they have kids talk about how great that shitty section of the film was, or who they're fave character was and the go and show a clip of the film.
Hate Hate Hate! Make me wanna kill some children. Thank you Disney you frickin Nazi's.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:29 am

OK, so I watched Dirty H@rry and Cronenberg's The Fly today (shit goddamn, they're great) and I realised, you know...cliches are cliches because lots of movies use 'em, right? So there has to be a point at which the now-cliches were original, right? My examples here are the single-minded cop who stops at nothing to knock some punk asses down (Insp. Callahan) and the line "Be afraid, be very afraid" from The Fly.

I mean, some of these things are so cliched now that you never think that something could have originially come up with them. Like what is the first documented example of the "Noooooooooo!" most recently seen in SW:ROTS? The swinging saloon doors in Westerns? You know?

Got any more?

(I think this is different enough from the Cliches thread to warrant its own thread.) (and I PAMPILASHed at the phrase "Dirty Grande Rojo" in the preview window. For some reason it just sounds...dirty.)
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:49 am

Thats funny that you mention the "NOOOOOOO!" because whenever I
hear that, I instantly think STAR WARS, but clearly thats not the first.

The Simpsons uses that all the time as a joke...

Hmm... I wonder when was the first "NOOOOOO!" was bellowed to the
heavens in shock and rage on celluloid???

Anyone???
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby culturalelite on Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:16 am

Halloween I think, sure there were slasher movies before it, and masked villains.... but I think Halloween was once of the first to put all future cliches in one basket...the kind of cliches 'Scream' ended up using in a 'post-modern' way...

masked killer
pretty girl (probably a babysitter)
there will be boobs at some point
she runs up the stairs insteasd of out the door.
victim always presumes masked killer is boyfriend 'goofing around' until he whips out the 15" blade
the killer can't be killed
the killer always comes back one last time
nobody will believe the victim
cocky people get killed quickly
people having sex die quickly
people die from quite shallow stab wounds
hide in the closet
or under the bed. both will protect you fine....
culturalelite
GLIB

Postby Lady Sheridan on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:46 am

Lethal Weapon invented just about every cop, particularly buddy cop film cliche. Young hotshot, guy about to retire, automatic versus revolvers, annoying sidekick, badass action heroine, cut the wrong bomb wire, etc.

On the other hand, all the imitator movies failed to get the really nifty details that you wouldn't have expected a film like LW to get. My dad is a cop, and always comments on how real the station scenes are--the rubber plant, the chicken dance picture. And he always liked that they had Riggs write info on his hand, like he and tons of guys did.

That's what seperates the innovators and the imitators.
Lady Sheridan
RED

Postby papalazeru on Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:48 am

The fugitive...

A man wanted for a crime he didnt commit and has to go on the run to prove his innocense.

Thats quite typical.

oh and most other "Stickin it to the man" films.

papalazeru

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:30 am

culturalelite wrote:Halloween I think, sure there were slasher movies before it,

Black Christmas pre-dated Halloween... and was original gonna be the title of the "supposed-sequel" Bob Clark was originally gonna make...

BlackXmas also had a hand in starting most of those slasher film cliches that Halloween perfected and popularized...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Proinsias on Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:35 am

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Hmm... I wonder when was the first "NOOOOOO!" was bellowed to the
heavens in shock and rage on celluloid??? Anyone???

Frankenstien?, the James Whale one?..first one on film perhaps...
Proinsias
REAL DRAGON

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:04 am

Al_Shut wrote:Anyway everything is better than the stupid star wars prequel Naboo system were the royals are elected,

I thought that was just a title as much as President, Amidala wasn't refered to as royalty in AOTC or ROTS.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:12 am

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Al_Shut wrote:Anyway everything is better than the stupid star wars prequel Naboo system were the royals are elected,

I thought that was just a title as much as President, Amidala wasn't refered to as royalty in AOTC or ROTS.

thats because in AOTC and ROTS she wasn't royalty anymore, she was a member of the senate. What Al was referring to was the inane idea of an elected monarch of Naboo set up in the first prequel.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:16 am

But yet again wasn't it just a title?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:41 pm

yes but its a title for people who inherit it. The title for peple who are elected is president (prime minister, chancelor etc.) Apparently queen sounded cool for Episode 1 but for 2 she had to be a senator.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:10 pm

In the end it's simply a title. In a world of English speaking humans flying ships that make noise in space weilding pyschi powers and laser swords do you think it's that outrageous to call an elected official queen?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Has anyone mentioned "the bad guy falling to their doom" yet?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:13 pm

Die Hard, The Untouchables... that kinda thing.

WWWwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggh *splat*
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:15 pm

Ala Temple of Doom.....or like the end of Con-Air? Oh god that terrible Frank Nitti death in the Untouchables......that movie is brilliant and awful all at once.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:In the end it's simply a title. In a world of English speaking humans flying ships that make noise in space weilding pyschi powers and laser swords do you think it's that outrageous to call an elected official queen?

I don't know why but for some reason I do.

Outrageous!!!!!

But I see why one might consider it completly irrelevant.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:33 am

Blade 2 was on TV yesterday and it reminded me that I hate people whining and crying and then suddenly start laughing because it was all fake and they fooled everybody.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:47 am

Yeah, that is a pretty big cliche, that sobbing/laughter switch-up. Except for when Gollum did it in TTT, because he's ca-razay. But characters trying to fool people (/the audience) with it is a little tired.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Tue May 09, 2006 4:10 pm

The English guy always being the bad guy. I fucking hate that. It got so bad in National Treasure that we were cheering for Sean Bean to fricking win the day.

I mean... Nicholas Cage was just as illegal in his activities as Bean, but he wasn't cast in a criminal light.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue May 09, 2006 5:38 pm

Damn LIMEYS!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm

FOOOOD FIIIIGHT!

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Zarles on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Chilli wrote:The English guy always being the bad guy. I fucking hate that. It got so bad in National Treasure that we were cheering for Sean Bean to fricking win the day.

I mean... Nicholas Cage was just as illegal in his activities as Bean, but he wasn't cast in a criminal light.

That's cuz he's from AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

Hey, take solace in the fact that Brits are usually cast as being quite intelligent. It's that thar fancy-pants accent and such, ya know.

:: spits ::
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby LaDracul on Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:33 pm

Well, I'm going to use "Sydney White" as an example, since it's one of the few films that has every cliche that bugs me.

-Blondes are horrible bitches (So not true, says me, the golden haired girl...I'm only a bitch when necessary.)
-All goths are industrial goths, they worship Satan, they listen to hard metal, all that shit.

And also-
-Fat girls are overeaters that think about food all the time due to psychological problems with self image. (Which is why I was disgusted with "Good Luck Chuck". At least they didn't humiliate Lori Beth Denberg's character in "Dodgeball" with that...although falling on top of a guy who then needs medical attention is embarrassing enough.)
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 13, 2008 2:04 am

In romantic comedies, or dramas with some sort of delightful/angsty romantic misunderstandings, when a character either splits with or rejects another character in order to be with a more shallow or loathsome partner, and someone insults them by saying "Congratulations; you two deserve each other."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 13, 2008 2:48 am

Horror Movie Cliché,

It'll get reimagined when Hollywood run out of ideas or a too scared to do anything new in 20 years time. When they think we've forgotten the already wet and lame reimagined version made from a classic 70'-80's movie, that we watch now, they'll rehash and justify it but saying something like, 'We believe that we've updated the charactedr to make it more current for modern audiences...blah blah blag...'

papalazeru

Postby Seppuku on Tue May 13, 2008 6:15 am

The line, "What would you have me do?" which is in every Hollywood movie made in the last 10 years that's set before the 20th Century. Lord of the Rings, The Other Boleyn Girl (at least it was in the trailer), all of them have it.

:lol: It's a really ALF thing to put you off a movie, I know, but it does!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 6:18 am

It's also in THE DARK KNIGHT, which I think is a jousting movie.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 13, 2008 7:42 am

seppukudkurosawa wrote:The line, "What would you have me do?" which is in every Hollywood movie made in the last 10 years that's set before the 20th Century. Lord of the Rings, The Other Boleyn Girl (at least it was in the trailer), all of them have it.

:lol: It's a really ALF thing to put you off a movie, I know, but it does!

But what would you have them do instead?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Tue May 13, 2008 8:13 am

Any other Brits watch Iron Eagle last night on BBC1? That was the first time I've ever seen it and the whole film is just one big long cheesy cliché

And I loved it.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

not good bad. Just BAD bad.

Postby so sorry on Tue May 13, 2008 8:24 am

John-Locke wrote:Any other Brits watch Iron Eagle last night on BBC1? That was the first time I've ever seen it and the whole film is just one big long cheesy cliché

And I loved it.

Doug: Anyone ever tell you you talk too much?
Chappy: Yeah, my ex-wife.

Worst. Movie. EVAR.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: not good bad. Just BAD bad.

Postby John-Locke on Tue May 13, 2008 8:36 am

so sorry wrote:
John-Locke wrote:Any other Brits watch Iron Eagle last night on BBC1? That was the first time I've ever seen it and the whole film is just one big long cheesy cliché

And I loved it.

Best. Movie. EVAR.

Fixed
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

JL, you can be my wingman anytime.

Postby so sorry on Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am

Nuts to you!

If I want to watch cliched, cheeseball flyboys shit, I'll stick with the original: Top F*ing Gun!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 am

In movies everybody has some deep reason for their choosing their job.

A guy is a race car driver because his dead dad was a race car driver. A guy is a cop because he grew up in da hood and hates crime in a personal way. Nobody ever just becomes a race car driver cuz they like fame and going fast (well that's not true, the bad guy is written that way to show he's shallow and that's why the hero deserves to win the race) or becomes a cop because he grew up watching cop movies or couldn't figure out what to do with himself or sucked at math.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fawst on Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 am

The Ginger Man wrote:I don't know if it's already been brought up in this thread, but I fucking hate prophecy in my films (or any medium, for that matter). Why must hero's be chosen, their actions decided by fate rather than themselves? It's boring, lazy writing, and to a point, cliche.

Taking it back to 2006! I agree completely with Ginger Man, prophecy has NEVER been handled properly in film. If someone can point one film out to me that they feel has a good usage of prophecy (not including The Prophecy, cuz... no.), I will watch it and judge. I can tell you now that aside from, say, Zeus or any other God talking up Perseus in Clash of the Titans, there has never been a justifiable use of it.

With one exception, and it still falls on the side of "FAIL."

That would be Dune. Dune as a novel has the absolute best usage of Prophecy ever. Because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, and they KNOW it. The Kwisatz Haderach is a creation of genetic manipulation and forced breeding, over the course of centuries (?). The film does NOT do the novel justice at all, and I think the name Kwisatz Haderach was only spoken once in the entire film, and that was by the creepy little redhead who turned into a really hot not-so-little redhead, but dubbed over by an equally creepy voice actor. At the end of the movie, no less. And it was a proclamation, which made it worse. "And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!"

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN, LITTLE CREEPY GIRL?! If you haven't read the book, you're not gonna get it. Paul could have been a fucking Jedi for all I knew as a kid watching that movie.

So anyways, prophecy is completely cliche. Even in the Harry Potter books, I never liked the way they handled the prophecy. In the end, it was just another lazy-writing easy out. "The witch loses control of her consciousness and starts spouting prophetic words for no good reason. It's magic! *nod + wink inserted here*"

Fuck that noise. You know when I think prophecy will be a viable story device? When the oldest possible one I can think of comes to pass: Ragnarok. When I see Odin and Loki leading their armies against one another, with the souls of the fallen Norse warriors as their soldiers, I will sit down and say "Yep, prophecy has merit." And if the Earth's magnetic pull shifts, or we all become enlightened, or the internet stops working in 2012, that wasn't prophecy. That was just good astronomy by the Mayans.
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: not good bad. Just BAD bad.

Postby Fawst on Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 am

so sorry wrote:

And I loved it.

Worst. Movie. EVAR.

"That's why they call him 'RONNIE RAY-GUN!'"
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 am

Pearoast from another thread...
10 movie cliches

I thought that should make an appearance.

papalazeru

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion