MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby minstrel on Tue May 13, 2008 2:04 pm

papalazeru wrote:Pearoast from another thread...
10 movie cliches

I thought that should make an appearance.

Yes! I was about to post about the third-person shooter. That's a big one for me.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:In movies everybody has some deep reason for their choosing their job.

A guy is a race car driver because his dead dad was a race car driver. A guy is a cop because he grew up in da hood and hates crime in a personal way. Nobody ever just becomes a race car driver cuz they like fame and going fast (well that's not true, the bad guy is written that way to show he's shallow and that's why the hero deserves to win the race) or becomes a cop because he grew up watching cop movies or couldn't figure out what to do with himself or sucked at math.

Renny Harlin was able to break from this convention with DRIVEN. If memory serves, Kip Pardue became a race car driver to go fast and be famous. But then he got too famous and didn't like it and his brother was a total dick and then he and Sly raced around Chicago and got a fine or something. And Til Schweiger was there. That's my recollection.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:In movies everybody has some deep reason for their choosing their job.

A guy is a race car driver because his dead dad was a race car driver. A guy is a cop because he grew up in da hood and hates crime in a personal way. Nobody ever just becomes a race car driver cuz they like fame and going fast (well that's not true, the bad guy is written that way to show he's shallow and that's why the hero deserves to win the race) or becomes a cop because he grew up watching cop movies or couldn't figure out what to do with himself or sucked at math.

Renny Harlin was able to break from this convention with DRIVEN. If memory serves, Kip Pardue became a race car driver to go fast and be famous. But then he got too famous and didn't like it and his brother was a total dick and then he and Sly raced around Chicago and got a fine or something. And Til Schweiger was there. That's my recollection.

DRIVEN RAWKED!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 pm

You know it, brutha!
caruso_stalker217

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 13, 2008 3:55 pm

I hate the allways escaping/surviving/stay aliving/shitfucking/neverdying FUCKING DOG!!

Let the fucking dogs die!
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby papalazeru on Tue May 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Why is it that in a horror film that mostly the black person complains about them being black and the first one to get picked off...and then never does?

It's not funny or clever or politcally correct.

Or, another of my faves, you never see any children die...apart from Rambo, which is one reason why it's so fucking great.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:01 pm

I AM LEGEND. I know you don't have a lot of love for that one, travis, but you could probably admire them for not making the dog invincible or whatever.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:04 pm

papalazeru wrote:Why is it that in a horror film that mostly the black person complains about them being black and the first one to get picked off...and then never does?

Or, another of my faves, you never see any children die...apart from Rambo, which is one reason why it's so fucking great.

One of my favorite parts of the remake of THE BLOB was when the kid gets killed. That scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

Well, technically it was the kid's friend. It would've been better if it was Shawnee Smith's little brother.

Still, gotta give 'em credit.
caruso_stalker217

Postby travis-dane on Tue May 13, 2008 4:13 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I AM LEGEND. I know you don't have a lot of love for that one, travis, but you could probably admire them for not making the dog invincible or whatever.

Fuck Dude!
If it comes to "Dog dying" movies,I take "Lost World" over "I am Legend" any day.....
-
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, but the dog died for comedic effect in THE LOST WORLD.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Al Shut on Sun May 18, 2008 6:07 am

The new guy/kid gets picked on by a bully but they later become friends after the the hero covers the bully and or takes the punishment the bully should recieve upon him.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Sun May 18, 2008 6:42 am

Al Shut wrote:The new guy/kid gets picked on by a bully but they later become friends after the the hero covers the bully and or takes the punishment the bully should recieve upon him.

Just seen Son of Rambow then, I take it?
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Sun May 18, 2008 6:42 am

Nah The devils backbone
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Sun May 18, 2008 7:31 am

I guess it really is a cliche then.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Al Shut on Sun May 18, 2008 7:37 am

It sure felt like one
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon May 19, 2008 11:45 am

Something that always gets to me is the characters start discussing the plot instead of just seeing something take place. I guess this is more the fault of the writer/director, but it seems like it happens a lot.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby LaDracul on Sat May 24, 2008 9:10 pm

This happens in TV shows sometimes, but when you have a character talking to the grave of a loved one as if they're not dead....it wasn't needed in "The Barnyard". However, "Balls of Fury" did a great sendup where the hero explains to his father's grave why he had to abbreviate the years on the tombstone. And it's promptly ruined by a waterslide next to the cemetery.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 24, 2008 9:19 pm

travis-dane wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I AM LEGEND. I know you don't have a lot of love for that one, travis, but you could probably admire them for not making the dog invincible or whatever.

Fuck Dude!
If it comes to "Dog dying" movies,I take "Lost World" over "I am Legend" any day.....

Let's point out that the dog's story in the book is far more poignant and the movie dog's death, while sad, was a cliche of a different sort - the "Old Yeller" ploy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DaleTremont on Sat May 24, 2008 9:39 pm

The one that someone already mentioned but I just have to bring up again because it kills me every damn time:

When you're in a gun battle and shit's crazy and Good Guy is blasting his way through everyone but Bad Guy and meanwhile Bad Guy is doing the same damn thing, until finally Good Guy and Bad Guy have mowed down everyone else in their way so it comes to the two of them, face to face, each pointing their guns at each other. Loooooooong as fuck dramatic pause. Way longer than any sane person would wait to pull the trigger. Finally someone takes the plunge, pulls the trigger, and hears the CLICK of an empty mag. "Aww fuck" they say, or something to that effect (it's usually the Good Guy). Then the Bad Guy cackles evilly and pulls his trigger only to find it's EMPTY TOO!!!

If I see that shit one more time....

Also there's the classic couples switcheroo. When the two romantic leads overcome their differences and realize that even though they're completely wrong for each other they're actually perfect for each other, so while they finally consummate their love by kissing/fucking/dancing/riding off into the sunset, they inevitably leave behind their former respective partners who are all "What the fuck, man?" That is, UNTIL the former respective partners set eyes on each other and all of a sudden it's love, baby! Then they can ride off into the sunset kissing/fucking/dancing and everyone's happy and it's a perfect way to assuage the romantic lead couple's guilt over being the assholes to dump their girlfriend/boyfriend to take up with a new strumpet/man candy.

The last thing I saw that this happened in was Enchanted. But there have been so many more...
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby RogueScribner on Sat May 24, 2008 9:47 pm

In Shoot 'Em Up they had a similar gun scene, but the twist was that the good guy had the bad guy's gun, which had finger print recognition plates, so it wouldn't work unless the bad guy was holding it. I thought that was at least a clever way of making the cliche seem fresh.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Sat May 24, 2008 9:49 pm

This is more prevalent in TV series more than films because films only need to hold attention for about 2 hours rather than spread out over a series but....

Jeapardy.

Just that. The kind that's just created between two characters or a group of characters versus one person.

Lost does it all too often but they do justify it. But, it's the whole scenario, the closer camera shots, the overly long cuts, no dramatic music and the duologue unfolds, usually to give someone backstory.

What I'm most upset about is when it's so obvious that it's just about moving something forward to the next action sequence.

I'll give a fun example, something which they later satirised but, Grelims. Bill's Girlfriend (the name escapes me now), her whole speech....totally uneccessary, thats 2 minutes of the film gone just so you can establish why she doesn't like Christmas.

papalazeru

Postby DaleTremont on Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 pm

papalazeru wrote:I'll give a fun example, something which they later satirised but, Grelims. Bill's Girlfriend (the name escapes me now), her whole speech....totally uneccessary, thats 2 minutes of the film gone just so you can establish why she doesn't like Christmas.

:lol:

Well, according to Joe Dante, they put it in there because they wanted to throw Phoebe Cates a bone and give her something to do other than stand around and look pretty/scared. So I guess she got to exercise her dramatic chops with the stuck-in-chimney gem.

But it's totally worth it so that she could make fun of it later like you said in Gremlins 2.

"Don't even say the name Lincoln!"

...or something to that effect.
Last edited by DaleTremont on Sat May 24, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby bluebottle on Sat May 24, 2008 10:06 pm

wait, really?

i always thought that scene in gremlins WAS satire.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat May 24, 2008 10:08 pm

me too - always got big laughs when I watched it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby DaleTremont on Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 pm

*shrugs*

When he was talking about it at the Gremlins 2 screening he made it seem like the speech in the second one was a sort of apology for the first...which really was supposed to be serious.

I think "give Phoebe something to do" was almost word for word what he said about the Christmas monologue.

But I was pretty drunk that night. I could have misheard/misunderstood :-P
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:Why is it that in a horror film that mostly the black person complains about them being black and the first one to get picked off...and then never does?

One of my favorite parts of the remake of THE BLOB was when the kid gets killed. That scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

Well, technically it was the kid's friend. It would've been better if it was Shawnee Smith's little brother.

It was the scene in Assault on Precinct 13, where a gang member just randomly guns down the little girl with the ice cream cone, when I realised I might possibly be in love with John Carpenter. It took either adamantium balls, or a complete ignorance of the Hollywood machine to pull a move like that.

ETA: You guys think I should split this topic off into its own thread? :twisted:
Last edited by Seppuku on Sat May 24, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby bluebottle on Sat May 24, 2008 10:16 pm

DaleTremont wrote:*shrugs*

When he was talking about it at the Gremlins 2 screening he made it seem like the speech in the second one was a sort of apology for the first...which really was supposed to be serious.

I think "give Phoebe something to do" was almost word for word what he said about the Christmas monologue.

i'd believe that it was un-intentionally hilarious.

if anything, it's big of joe dante to admit it.

go joe dante!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Sat May 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Dead santa/dad in the chimney? intentional or not, it is comedy gold.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Sat May 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Seppuku wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

It was the scene in Assault on Precinct 13, where a gang member just randomly guns down the little girl with the ice cream cone, when I realised I might possibly be in love with John Carpenter. It took either adamantium balls, or a complete ignorance of the Hollywood machine to pull a move like that.

ETA: You guys think I should split this topic off into its own thread? :twisted:

I have to admit, I do like a bit of indiscrimate violence.

I really hate it in films where these super freak bad guys who are just so nasty they'd cut your heart out without a second thought, well, the then aim a gun down a high street and don't shoot at the kid.

The problem cliché there is that not enough dogs/animals or kids die in movies that contain super bad guys.

You've highlighted one which breaks the mould there but there are plenty follow the MPAA mother criteria. Check out Speed, when they run over the pram and it turns out that it's just full of cans.

What a let down.

Edit: Or where you get bad guys that are so depraived and sick that the camera can't show you the violence. You either get a close up of the person or a shot somewhere else with 'friendly' music in the background, just to show how sick they actually are.

papalazeru

Postby DennisMM on Sat May 24, 2008 11:48 pm

tapehead wrote:Dead santa/dad in the chimney? intentional or not, it is comedy gold.

And stolen from Gahan Wilson.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun May 25, 2008 4:34 am

bluebottle wrote:
DaleTremont wrote:*shru gs*

i'd believe that it was un-intentionally hilarious.

if anything, it's big of joe dante to admit it.

go joe dante!

I dunno guys. It may have been to throw Pheobe a bone, but when I was a kid, the speach was appropriate for the film. Gremlins is an awesome movie, and I always thought her dramatic monologue was in tone with the rest of the film. But I did love the parody in Gremlins 2.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby havocSchultz on Sun May 25, 2008 10:26 am

After watching The Orphanage yesterday...I've noticed that a lot of people get hit by buses in movies lately...

I'm not necessarily complaining...cause it usually looks cool...
But over the last few years, I can remember a few instances where somebody out of the blue will just get fucking hammered by a bus (bus can also sometimes be replaced with a semi or another big vehicle...but, for the most part, it's a bus.)

It's either done for surprise, horror/tragedy, or comedy...or all of the above...

Some better and more real looking than others...
But there's gotta be something else we can do...

Maybe somebody can get run over by like a dog-sled or something...
Or a runaway hot dog cart...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun May 25, 2008 10:35 am

I don't think it is so much the bus thats the cliche, but the way it is shot. Usually the victim is dead center of the camera, walking away onto the street, when for a split second the victim looks back at the camera and then SHazaam, a bus flattens the poor schmuck.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bluebottle on Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 am

lol, yeah that's true!

it's like the car crash in adaptation... suddenly all car crashes were shot that way...

someone figures out a cool new way to shoot something, and people start working it into their scripts.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun May 25, 2008 12:49 pm

I think it originated with Meet Joe Black.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Al Shut on Sun May 25, 2008 12:51 pm

You're all beeing silly.

More people should be hit by busses. Every movie should end that way.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby LaDracul on Sun May 25, 2008 12:52 pm

My favorite has to be in "Final Destination" where the one girl tries to tell her boyfriend to stop holding a grudge, but BLAMMO! Bus comes out of nowhere and hits her.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Sun May 25, 2008 1:18 pm

I think that in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, instead of riding off into the sunset, they should all have been hit by a bus.

In Lawrence of Arabia, instead of dying in a motorcycle accident, Lawrence should have been hit by a bus.

In Casablanca, Bogart should have said "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship" and then he should have been hit by a bus.

In Citizen Kane, Kane should have whispered "Rosebud" and then BAM! Hit by a bus.

In 2001, the Star Child should have been hit by a space bus.
minstrel

Postby LaDracul on Sun May 25, 2008 1:22 pm

I totally agree with the first one. XD
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun May 25, 2008 5:30 pm

I saw this really bad horror movie called One Missed Call last week and there was one really funny (intentionally) part where a dude keeps wandering in and out of traffic seemingly oblivious to all the cars whooshing around him while he rants.

I just sat there waiting for him finally to get plowed when an explosion from an arc welder on a nearby construction site sends a metal rod flying into his chest and he dies. That was pretty damn clever.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun May 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Who says the Grim Reaper doesn't have an imagination?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Re: MOVIE CLICHES

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:41 am

This thread's been going for a while, and I honestly can't remember if this one's been mentioned, but this is one I HATE!

Think of all the movies when someone is trying to log onto someone else's computer or get to something on their computer that needs a password to unlock. Sure enough, there's a fucking picture right there on the desk of their precious fucking poodle named Fluffy. And shit, it might even have the words "Fluffy" written on the frame, in case the audience was 100% ret@rded and not just mildly ret@rded.

Or maybe it's their wife or car or some shit, but you get the point.

Do you keep a pic of anything related to your passwords on your desk? I sure as fuck don't. But EVERYONE in Movieland does. And it always comes back to bite them in the ass.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:29 am

Nacho, I agree with you. That one is pretty ugly.

Another that bothers me is that even in this day and age, whenever they show important text appearing on a computer screen, it displays at a ridiculously slow rate with a tiny beep accompanying each letter, so you see the words appear more slowly than you can read them, accompanied by "dee dee dee dee dee dee deet."

I've been around computers since I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s (my dad worked for Hewlett Packard and let me play on the office mainframes when I was nine years old), and I've NEVER seen a computer or terminal that does that!
minstrel

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:13 am

What happened to ending movies with a freeze frame? That shit ruled!!! :D
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:29 pm

RogueScribner wrote:What happened to ending movies with a freeze frame? That shit ruled!!! :D

Seriously, I wouldn't mind that at all. I still think the ending to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of the more awesome ones out there.

Hell, not just endings. I think we should bring back more freeze frames. I remember there was one in Spidey 2. But there really haven't been too many in recent years.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Zarles on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:10 pm

RogueScribner wrote:What happened to ending movies with a freeze frame? That shit ruled!!! :D

HA! Hell yeah. That was one of the things I liked so much about Death Proof. That last shot still cracks me up. I also liked the way 'Police Squad!' and the Naked Gun movies always used to make fun of that by just having the actors freeze in place, but still having shit go on as normal in the background. Crew members walking by, the phone ringing, etc. :lol:

One I've been noticing lately occurs whenever someone almost dies from drowning. There's always that moment when they wake up, spit a mouthful of water out and then start coughing, signifying that they're still alive. I've never seen anyone almost die from drowning so I have no idea if it really happens like that, but it can't be the same way every single time, can it?

Lost pulled that shit in the S4 finale, too. Me and my Lost-watching crew added it to our drinking game for the show as a result. Whenever someone almost dies from drowning, take a shot!
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm

--eople turning on the TV and just Happening to tune in right at the beginning of a broadcast or a relevant bit of exposition. In the movies, you almost never catch a newsreader in the middle of a word or a sentence.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby tapehead on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:26 pm

Seppuku wrote:--eople turning on the TV and just Happening to tune in right at the beginning of a broadcast or a relevant bit of exposition. In the movies, you almost never catch a newsreader in the middle of a sentence or word.

Parodied most brilliantly in Shaun of the Dead - I especially liked how Edgar Wright managed to place Morrisey singing 'Panic on the streets of London...' as they flicked through the channels
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:29 pm

tapehead wrote:
Seppuku wrote:--eople turning on the TV and just Happening to tune in right at the beginning of a broadcast or a relevant bit of exposition. In the movies, you almost never catch a newsreader in the middle of a sentence or word.

Parodied most brilliantly in Shaun of the Dead - I especially liked how Edgar Wright managed to place Morrisey singing 'Panic on the streets of London...' as they flicked through the channels

I have a feeling that was stolen from a movie like 'Kentucky Fried Movie' or the Adam and Joe Show...I'm not sure. :D

It's still incredibly funny.

I'm waiting for the thrid movie. Bound to be awesome too.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Seppuku wrote:--eople turning on the TV and just Happening to tune in right at the beginning of a broadcast or a relevant bit of exposition. In the movies, you almost never catch a newsreader in the middle of a word or a sentence.

It's also usually quite a good idea to hire in actual newsreaders to play the part of the newsreader...as bit part actors never sound convincing.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion