MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: MOVIE CLICHES

Postby smackfu on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:23 am

The most sickening cliche imo is the 'T-Rex roar' that has now become pervasive in not just every movie with a monstrous character, but every videogame as well.

You know what I mean...at some completely random point, for no reason whatsoever, the 'monster' will suddenly stop what it's doing, rear back, tilt it's head back, arms out, palms up, and roar at the freaking sky, usually in a T-Rex voice. Which serves the sole purpose of stating 'rawr, I'm a scary monster'. It's everywhere, even a rebooted Incredible Hulk, intent on getting some respect, can't resist putting that stupid, cheap, mind boggling emote in their movie.

And the weirdest part is when they attribute it to a 'monster' that's only a monster on the outside. Like at the end of Spiderman 3, Sandman takes the form of a giant, giant Sandman, and of course...since he's now visually large and monstrous, he does this ALF emote, and now for some explicable reason, Sandman roars like a T-Rex. Keep in mind that the premise of this character is that it's just a regular joe-blow who got in an accident and can take the shape of sand. So I guess this guy just figured, in the heat of a battle, to stop, flip his head back, and roar at the sky.

The thing is, most 'monsters' in movies probably don't see themselves as monsters. Like the Cloverfield guy. He's a monster to us, but to him, he's just the same sea-bed-dwelling guy he's been since birth, just out exploring, looking for food, some tail, or whatever it was that brought him out to NYC. It's sort of like...the roaches in my apartment probably see me as a monster when I'm lumbering down the hall to the fridge at 3am, but I'm just a guy, just going to get something to eat before I go back to bed. It would be very suspect if I suddenly found the urge to pause in front of the fridge and roar out in primal monster triumph simply because that's how those cockroaches see me.
smackfu
GLIB

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:49 am

But if the roaches were shooting at you and causing you pain and annoyance, then maybe you would shout or scream at them. In cloverfieldish, the roar could mean "pack it in you little tw%&s, before I f##k you up!"
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby smackfu on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 am

Yeah, on the subject of cats in film...

Why is it not possible to show a cat on screen without it making that horrendous cat squealing sound? Anyone who actually *has* a cat knows that is not a 'cat sound' that is a cat *screaming*. I've heard my cat make that sound twice in it's life, and in both cases it was caused by agony. Why do tv and movie cats make this sound when they're just randomly walking around?

Are they afraid people won't know it's a cat unless it makes cat sounds? You know, for all those movie viewers out there who have never seen a cat in their lives and would be like 'jesus, wtf was that?!!' Upon seeing a cat jump off a couch or something. You don't want the climax of your film spoiled by your viewer not being able to stop talking about the amazing CGI work on the alien/monster jumping off the couch scene.
smackfu
GLIB

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:21 pm

Ok, after posting in this thread several times and reading the comments many more, I think I may finally have remembered my most hated cliche.

I was watching Man of the House, the one with Tommy Lee Jones protecting the University of Texas cheerleaders.

Why is it that every actor feels obliged to butcher a "Southern" accent if the movie is set in the south?! I'm from Texas, and I only hear about 30% of the people talk with that heavy southern twang they ALL try to do. Everyone else just talks like anywhere else in the country. And people from the south are usually fine (naturally) but everyone else feels the need, I suppose, to show their limits as an actor. But no, in movies, everyone from Texas wears a cowboy hat, has a horse, or talks like they're chewing tobacco and their voice is cracking. God, it's so fucking annoying, because it's never done right.

See:

Man of the House, Varsity Blues, Steel Magnolias, The Devil's Advocate, fucking CON AIR!!!...

Those are just off the top of my head.

Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Christ. I thought I was the only dumb bastard who watched MAN OF THE HOUSE.

I don't agree with CON AIR as an example, though, because Cage's accent made that movie more hilarious.

But since we're getting regional on these cliches, I'd like to take a moment to ask that British Columbia stop posing as Oregon in movies. I know that we've only got like three locations that anybody ever shoots in (all three of them are Astoria) but there's a lot of shit to film here. We have a very diverse climate and shit. Shit, half the fucking state is desert. I want to see some of that on film.

They shot THE HUNTED in Portland because they wanted a lot of rain, but those Hollywood fuckers got what they deserved and it didn't rain at all. Because contrary to popular belief Portland doesn't get a whole lot more rain than anywhere else. Do some research, you Hollywood fuckers.

Also, please stop shooting in Astoria. If I see The Astoria-Megler Bridge on film one more time I'm gonna burn it down. I don't care if it is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm

I actually agree with caruso here. How many movies set in Oregon really depend on the Oregon-ness of their setting? I mean, is the state of Oregon a plot point? If you're going to shoot in British Columbia, would it make any difference to the plot to re-write the script so that it's SET in British Columbia? That would make it a lot easier and more realistic.

I recognize that there are locations you WANT to shoot in, but it's incredibly difficult and/or impossible and/or expensive to shoot there, so you have to pick some place that looks the same. But in most cases, I think you could shoot in the actual location, not some imposter location.

This does not mean that I don't want American movies to shoot in Canada - I'm Canadian, and I like the idea of Canada getting Hollywood dollars. But would it really be that hard to SET the movies in Canada, if you're going to shoot there? Many times I don't think it would make a difference.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:12 pm

I'd have to say one of the dumbest uses of B.C. as Oregon I've seen would be THE FOG '05. An island off the Oregon coast, for Christ's sake. Why didn't they set it in Washington? They actually have islands up there.
caruso_stalker217

Postby minstrel on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:31 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'd have to say one of the dumbest uses of B.C. as Oregon I've seen would be THE FOG '05. An island off the Oregon coast, for Christ's sake. Why didn't they set it in Washington? They actually have islands up there.

Once again, why didn't they set it in BC? There are islands there, too - piles of 'em! And they wouldn't have to pretend it was Oregon OR Washington.
minstrel

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:25 pm

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. If you're gonna shoot the fucker in B.C. you might as well set it there. But if you're gonna set it in the States, why the hell would you make it Oregon when Washington at least would've made sense. Which sorta goes back to what you said about Oregon being a plot point. Are people going to care more if it is set in Oregon? Why the hell move the story to Oregon in the first place? Why not keep it California where the original was set? Or shoot it in Toronto and set the story in New York City. It's all the same bullshit.

Now I will wait patiently for a DTV sequel to THE FOG set in New York City.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:50 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. If you're gonna shoot the fucker in B.C. you might as well set it there. But if you're gonna set it in the States, why the hell would you make it Oregon when Washington at least would've made sense. Which sorta goes back to what you said about Oregon being a plot point. Are people going to care more if it is set in Oregon? Why the hell move the story to Oregon in the first place? Why not keep it California where the original was set? Or shoot it in Toronto and set the story in New York City. It's all the same bullshit.

i'm waiting for "The Smog" shot and set in L.A.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:01 pm

They say the fuckin' smog is the fuckin' reason you have such beautiful fuckin' sunsets.
caruso_stalker217

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:44 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:They say the fuckin' smog is the fuckin' reason you have such beautiful fuckin' sunsets.

Jesus f#ckin' Christ! You don't have to f#ckin' cuss about it! P#ckerc#ickenshitf#iedassholes!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 pm

minstrel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'd have to say one of the dumbest uses of B.C. as Oregon I've seen would be THE FOG '05. An island off the Oregon coast, for Christ's sake. Why didn't they set it in Washington? They actually have islands up there.

Once again, why didn't they set it in BC? There are islands there, too - piles of 'em! And they wouldn't have to pretend it was Oregon OR Washington.

Yeah, but execs know no one wants to watch a movie about Canadians. Sorry.

See: Canadian Bacon.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:57 am

RaulMonkey wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:They say the fuckin' smog is the fuckin' reason you have such beautiful fuckin' sunsets.

Jesus f#ckin' Christ! You don't have to f#ckin' cuss about it! P#ckerc#ickenshitf#iedassholes!

Yikes!
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:19 am

See, this is why we need an Alpha Flight movie. It would be set in Canada, shot in Canada, and they could probably scrape up some real Canadian actors like Shatner or Plummer and I guess Ellen Page is Canadian but I don't think she'd want to do another comic book movie. Especially one that is basically Canadian X-Men. That would almost be like a remake. But with a sasquatch instead of Beast. Although I think Sasquatch was actually the Canadian equivalent of Hulk. And Guardian or whoever the fuck was the Canadian Captain America. Captain Canada. Except his name was Guardian. Or Vindicator. Or whoever the fuck he was.
caruso_stalker217

Postby minstrel on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:55 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:See, this is why we need an Alpha Flight movie. It would be set in Canada, shot in Canada, and they could probably scrape up some real Canadian actors like Shatner or Plummer and I guess Ellen Page is Canadian but I don't think she'd want to do another comic book movie. Especially one that is basically Canadian X-Men. That would almost be like a remake. But with a sasquatch instead of Beast. Although I think Sasquatch was actually the Canadian equivalent of Hulk. And Guardian or whoever the fuck was the Canadian Captain America. Captain Canada. Except his name was Guardian. Or Vindicator. Or whoever the fuck he was.

I love wonderfully incoherent posts like this. Thanks!
minstrel

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:16 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:See, this is why we need an Alpha Flight movie. It would be set in Canada, shot in Canada, and they could probably scrape up some real Canadian actors like Shatner or Plummer and I guess Ellen Page is Canadian but I don't think she'd want to do another comic book movie. Especially one that is basically Canadian X-Men. That would almost be like a remake. But with a sasquatch instead of Beast. Although I think Sasquatch was actually the Canadian equivalent of Hulk. And Guardian or whoever the fuck was the Canadian Captain America. Captain Canada. Except his name was Guardian. Or Vindicator. Or whoever the fuck he was.

Captain Canada! :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby The Vicar on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
minstrel wrote:

Yeah, but execs know no one wants to watch a movie about Canadians. Sorry.

See: Canadian Bacon.

No. Don't.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:16 pm

movies about Canadians can be great, just check out "Strange Brew" for proof.........

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby smackfu on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:20 pm

If it's a great Canadian movie you seek, look no further than Fubar.
smackfu
GLIB

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:36 pm

smackfu wrote:If it's a great Canadian movie you seek, look no further than Fubar.

i especially enjoyed the twin ghosts..........

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby smackfu on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Or the part where Jack Nicholson chopped the door down? Classic. I hear he ad-libbed that.
smackfu
GLIB

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:53 pm

still trying to figure out the significance of Lindsey Lohan's character though ...

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby smackfu on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:07 pm

Obsess much?
smackfu
GLIB

Postby Peven on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:10 pm

now that you mention it.......these lint balls all over the carpet are driving me nuts!!!!!

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Heyoucantlaughatthat on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:56 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote: And people from the south are usually fine (naturally) but everyone else feels the need, I suppose, to show their limits as an actor. But no, in movies, everyone from Texas wears a cowboy hat, has a horse, or talks like they're chewing tobacco and their voice is cracking.

Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!

Amen. I moved to Texas a while ago and thought that everyone would talk like that because, well, I watched all those movies too. But it really isn't all that bad, only a small percentage like you said.

This is probably more of an archetype, but I'm getting tired of the "hard-assed black sergeants" that we see in movies and especially videogames...
Heyoucantlaughatthat
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:35 am

Seriously, I think the hard ass black seargeant thing came about because of R. Lee Ermy. Seriously. It seems like every drill instructor on film seems to be an homage to Ermy's Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, almost to a copyright infringement phase. However, filmmakers began to notice this, so they tried to find ways to make their hard ass drill seargeant different than Ermy's (because honestly, no one's topping him), so they thought, "I know, let's make him black." And the rest is history...
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:03 am

travis-dane wrote:

Captain Canada! :lol: :lol: :lol:

KNEEL BEFORE CANADA!
caruso_stalker217

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:07 am

Peven wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying. If you're gonna shoot the fucker in B.C. you might as well set it there. But if you're gonna set it in the States, why the hell would you make it Oregon when Washington at least would've made sense. Which sorta goes back to what you said about Oregon being a plot point. Are people going to care more if it is set in Oregon? Why the hell move the story to Oregon in the first place? Why not keep it California where the original was set? Or shoot it in Toronto and set the story in New York City. It's all the same bullshit.

I'm waiting for The Smug shot and set in San Francisco...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:24 am

havocSchultz wrote:
Peven wrote:

I'm waiting for The Smug shot and set in San Francisco...

about a maniacal band of homicidal vegan PETA members who, on the night of the 50th anniversary of the release of "Bambi", spread throughout the meat-eating community spreading fear and terror as they go by sodomizing their victims with assorted organically grown fruits and vegetables......

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby smackfu on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 pm

at some completely random point, for no reason whatsoever, the 'monster' will suddenly stop what it's doing, rear back, tilt it's head back, arms out, palms up, and roar at the freaking sky, usually in a T-Rex voice.

In the new Max Payne movie, at 1:14, he does the T-Rex roar.

MAX. PAYNE. does the T-Rex roar. Of course, the soundtrack was over the sound, so I'm anxious to see in the film if he actually makes the giant monster voice sound when he does it.
smackfu
GLIB

Postby RaulMonkey on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:07 am

I'm never sure if it's a movie thing or if it's just American etiquette, but sometimes it bothers me when people are having a conversation on the phone and then they just hang up without saying, "Bye." It happens all the time on 24, THE WIRE, and tons of other movies and shows. Is it just a storytelling convention to save time or maintain a certain rhythm or mood? or do Americans seriously just go *CLICK* whenever the original purpose of their call has been fulfilled?

And how about a "thanks" when the field agent in San Diego has just given you a helpful piece of information you need to do your job? I don't care if you don't like the answer she gave you; it's not her fault you just found out you'd been screwed by some mole.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 am

RaulMonkey wrote:I'm never sure if it's a movie thing or if it's just American etiquette, but sometimes it bothers me when people are having a conversation on the phone and then they just hang up without saying, "Bye." It happens all the time on 24, THE WIRE, and tons of other movies and shows. Is it just a storytelling convention to save time or maintain a certain rhythm or mood? or do Americans seriously just go *CLICK* whenever the original purpose of their call has been fulfilled?

And how about a "thanks" when the field agent in San Diego has just given you a helpful piece of information you need to do your job? I don't care if you don't like the answer she gave you; it's not her fault you just found out you'd been screwed by some mole.

Tell me about it. I get hung up on a lot. That's probably because I usually end conversations by soliciting for sex, but I don't think thats an excuse to be rude.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
RaulMonkey wrote:I'm never sure if it's a movie thing or if it's just American etiquette, but sometimes it bothers me when people are having a conversation on the phone and then they just hang up without saying, "Bye." It happens all the time on 24, THE WIRE, and tons of other movies and shows. Is it just a storytelling convention to save time or maintain a certain rhythm or mood? or do Americans seriously just go *CLICK* whenever the original purpose of their call has been fulfilled?

Tell me about it. I get hung up on a lot. That's probably because I usually end conversations by soliciting for sex, but I don't think thats an excuse to be rude.

So you're the one who's been calling me at all hours of the night wanting to play Hide the Salami. I thought it was my high school English teacher.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:18 am

oh, that salami ain't hiding... ever.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby havocSchultz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am

Ha...

My GF and I talk about this almost everytime we see it happen...

It's like WTF?

If I do that to people they send me an angry text back calling me a d00sh for hanging up on them...

I can't remember what film or show recently, but we actually saw somebody say "goodbye" before they hung up the phone and we were shocked...
We just paused and weren't sure if it had really happened or not...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 am

havocSchultz wrote:

Ha...

My GF and I talk about this almost everytime we see it happen...

It's like WTF?

If I do that to people they send me an angry text back calling me a d00sh for hanging up on them...

I can't remember what film or show recently, but we actually saw somebody say "goodbye" before they hung up the phone and we were shocked...
We just paused and weren't sure if it had really happened or not...

Ha! See? Yeah.

And what about the classic dial tone when you get hung up on instead of the line going dead? That might have been mentioned already since it's such a classic. I used to think it might be how the phones worked in the States. And then of course characters sit there and say, "Hello? ...Hello?" even though they have a convenient noise informing them beyond a shadow of a doubt that, yes, they've been hung up on. At least they can phone right back and call the person a d00sh without having to depress the switchhook... That's handy.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Rolf van der Berg on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:45 am

There is a same sort of thing with computers in the movies.

When a computer gets disconnected from a network or internet there is a big flashing message that says "DISCONNECTED" or "MESSAGE ENDS".

When does that ever happen with the real computers? Never. You end up pressing the enter key for ages wondering what happened.
Rolf van der Berg
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:48 am

Rolf van der Berg wrote:There is a same sort of thing with computers in the movies.

When a computer gets disconnected from a network or internet there is a big flashing message that says "DISCONNECTED" or "MESSAGE ENDS".

When does that ever happen with the real computers? Never. You end up pressing the enter key for ages wondering what happened.

On a similar note, hacking in to the FBI is like a big button under Tools> in internet explorer in the movie...and it's done in seconds.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Rolf van der Berg on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 am

If the world were like movies everyone would understand how to use Unix and telnet.
Rolf van der Berg
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Maui on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

KNEEL BEFORE CANADA!

Yes, I agree with this statement.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Classic Movie #98765: Parties where people bring kegs.

Classic Movie #98766: The morning after the party, people who use giant ice bags on their heads to cure the hangover.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Classic Movie #98765: Parties where people bring kegs.

So nobody brings kegs to your parties?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Classic Movie #98765: Parties where people bring kegs.

So nobody brings kegs to your parties?

Parties?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 am

the funny, wisecracking side-kick makes it ALMOST to the end of the movie...

"hero" and eye-candy stranger chick act like they can't stand each other whole movie but at end turn and kiss.....

old women who drink, smoke, and/or swear are funny....

bald is lame if you are white, cool if you're........not....

Latinos have less chance of surviving to end of movie than even the Black characters....

cute, hunky, popular guy is really nice, thoughtful, and sensitive on the inside, he just needs to meet the "right" girl..(i'm looking at YOU John Hughes, you cliche-ridden mutha)

male characters who are smart/educated are homely and weak, female characters who are smart/educated are only apparently homely but when they take off their glasses they become HAWT and can do kung fu

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 am

I guess I'm getting in on this a little late, but I missed all this discussion on movies being filmed in Canada versus set in Canada etc.

I guess I'm sorta in there with Caruso where it's really absurd some of the "doubles" they try to pass off. I can speak as a Montrealite that a lot of movies get filmed here that are supposed to be NYC or something. I see them close off streets and they have to go to all this effort to cover up all the French signs and stuff. And the architecture here in Quebec is more like France than like in bigger North American cities. It especially doesn't look like NYC.

But I think the worst was Taking Lives. Man, do people in these parts hate that movie. They actually set it in Montreal but have the characters drive past Frontenac Castle??? That's like setting something in Chicago and having them stop for lunch and look out at the Statue of Liberty. Plus they also got all European French actors to play the locals and the accents and mannerisms were like night and day.

However, I will give credit to The Score, which was set and filmed in Montreal and if I remember correctly all the characters were supposed to be locals and they used all the local terms and settings realistically in the film. It wasn't the best movie, so I don't remember it too well, maybe DeNiro was ex-pat American, but Norton and Brando were at least playing Canadiens.

They also filmed 300 here, and you could totally tell those were Canadien green-screens they were standing in front of and Canadien steroids they were taking.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:03 pm

Sean Pertwee dies. Every movie he is in. (That I can think of)

Being familiar with actual locations really jolts you out of a movie (or tv show), such as people driving round a corner and the next shot is the other side of the city. Its very jarring.

I remember an episode of the supercop series Spender which was filmed in my home city of Newcastle, where he follows a metro (subway) train on foot, to catch a bad guy who caught the train. The next shot showed him jumping up on the next platform, and chasing the guy down as he rank away.
The problem was that this run would have taken him around the whole underground system, and covered about 30km's of track. We salute you Jimmy Nail.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am

Yeah, I really dug those mountains in the background of Key West in the show Drive. ;)
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Psycho_Kenshin on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:08 am

I'd like to nominate the movie The Rundown for the cliche list.

Annoying sidekick, and stoic hero who is constantly punching that sidekick in the face. Then they decide to be life partners, lovers, who never let the other out of their sight at the end. Just like that.

Also, pointless double crosses which are undone later, those are always lame. The double double cross, if you will.

Now, there are some cliches listed in here which rule, and need to stay. Hero and villain pointing guns at each other and posing, running out of ammo... that is just plain epic and fun as hell. Ex-wife jokes are always good. All horror movie cliches are good. And last but not least, "Fried egg anna ham samich, you sonofa..." BOOM!!!
Psycho_Kenshin
GLIB

Postby Doctor Gonzo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 am

90% percent of scenes set in libraries have character's interrupted by a bun-haired librarian with glasses angrily shushing them.

Whenever someone falls off of a cliff, building, etc., another character says "Hold on!/Hang on!" as if the other character would let go and fall to their deaths unless instructed to do otherwise.

Senators are always bad guys. (Well, that's almost always true in real life so maybe it's not necessarily a cliche.)
Doctor Gonzo
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion