MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:43 pm

There are plenty of things that crop up in all sorts of different movies that we could dub 'movie standards'. Usually we don't think about them too much (especially if it's an Arnie film) but I'm sure many of you have a gripe with some of these things. My own personal pet hates are as follows.

Whenever people:

a.) are able to hang on to something in a life or death scenario for extended periods of time

or

b.) can hold their breathe under water for minutes at a time

Star Trek IV was the first film where I was bothered by the latter. Even as a kid I used to wonder how Bill Shatner, a man in his 50's then, could hold his breath for almost 10 minutes in that scene near the end where he releases the whales from the tank.

So what are your 'standards' that bug you?
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:03 pm

This is so close to Movie Cliches. I am going to move.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Re:

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:04 am

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:b.) can hold their breathe under water for minutes at a time

ALIEN: RESURRECTION has the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA of "holding your breath for a ridiculous amount of time" scenes. They must've been swimming through that kitchen for twelve minutes and every time they see an alien they yell and blow gigantic clouds of bubbles out of their mouths and then they keep swimming for nine or ten minutes. Great stuff.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Re: MOVIE CLICHES

Postby LaDracul on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 am

Old part of the neighborhood is threatened to be torn down to make way for a mall.

It's always a damn mall.

That's what ticked me off about the "Hey, Arnold!" movie, especially when there was a storyline like it in one of the episodes, but it was an old theater that was being torn down for a megaplex. His grandma, however, wanted to save the theater for sentimental reasons. (She met his granddad there.)

It also happened in "You Don't Mess with the Zohan", but...the Israeli and Pakistani store owners decide to band together and open a mall of their own after their shops were destroyed in an explosion at the end.
LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:46 am

LaDracul wrote:Old part of the neighborhood is threatened to be torn down to make way for a mall.

It's always a damn mall.

That's what ticked me off about the "Hey, Arnold!" movie, especially when there was a storyline like it in one of the episodes, but it was an old theater that was being torn down for a megaplex. His grandma, however, wanted to save the theater for sentimental reasons. (She met his granddad there.)

It also happened in "You Don't Mess with the Zohan", but...the Israeli and Pakistani store owners decide to band together and open a mall of their own after their shops were destroyed in an explosion at the end.

As a rich college-bound student, I once joined some underprivileged youths in saving a community centre from being converted into a shopping mall.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:23 am

Fried Gold wrote:
LaDracul wrote:Old part of the neighborhood is threatened to be torn down to make way for a mall.

It's always a damn mall.

As a rich college-bound student, I once joined some underprivileged youths in saving a community centre from being converted into a shopping mall.

Ali G In Da House?
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:52 am

As an underprivileged youth, i tore the local shopping mall down.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:54 pm

As an uptight waspy boat designer, I got in trouble with the law. The judge ordered me to coach a rowing team of underprivileged inner city kids of all things. I didn't want to do it at first, but when I realized the kids had real problems and that being on a rowing crew was the only thing that would keep them out of trouble, I got really into it. Anyway this asshole I work for, he has his own rowing team and he got all up in my craw about my work and that I didn't know what I was doing with these kids, and that the crew team was interfering with my work. We settled it on the water, though. My rowing crew beat his rowing crew, but just BARELY. And we won even though my boss tried to cheat by having one of my crew arrested on false charges. Fortunely the guy's sister, who we never really noticed before, stepped up and lead us to victory. I learned a lot about myself and how myopic my view of the world is. So I quit my job and headed west to start my own yacht design firm. I guess I just never believed in myself before that.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:As an uptight waspy boat designer, I got in trouble with the law. The judge ordered me to coach a rowing team of underprivileged inner city kids of all things. I didn't want to do it at first, but when I realized the kids had real problems and that being on a rowing crew was the only thing that would keep them out of trouble, I got really into it. Anyway this asshole I work for, he has his own rowing team and he got all up in my craw about my work and that I didn't know what I was doing with these kids, and that the crew team was interfering with my work. We settled it on the water, though. My rowing crew beat his rowing crew, but just BARELY. And we won even though my boss tried to cheat by having one of my crew arrested on false charges. Fortunely the guy's sister, who we never really noticed before, stepped up and lead us to victory. I learned a lot about myself and how myopic my view of the world is. So I quit my job and headed west to start my own yacht design firm. I guess I just never believed in myself before that.

Menace Crew Society?

Crew the Right Thing?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:04 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:As an uptight waspy boat designer, I got in trouble with the law. The judge ordered me to coach a rowing team of underprivileged inner city kids of all things. I didn't want to do it at first, but when I realized the kids had real problems and that being on a rowing crew was the only thing that would keep them out of trouble, I got really into it. Anyway this asshole I work for, he has his own rowing team and he got all up in my craw about my work and that I didn't know what I was doing with these kids, and that the crew team was interfering with my work. We settled it on the water, though. My rowing crew beat his rowing crew, but just BARELY. And we won even though my boss tried to cheat by having one of my crew arrested on false charges. Fortunely the guy's sister, who we never really noticed before, stepped up and lead us to victory. I learned a lot about myself and how myopic my view of the world is. So I quit my job and headed west to start my own yacht design firm. I guess I just never believed in myself before that.

Hahahahaha. It's funny because it's true.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:18 pm

so sorry wrote:

Menace Crew Society?

Crew the Right Thing?

MIghty Ducks 12: Double Sculls.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Menace Crew Society?

Crew the Right Thing?

Oxford Crewz

/Obscure reference to Oxford Blues
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Coxless in California?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm

"Do you believe this malarkey?"
"He had me right up until the part where his team won."
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:14 pm

I was gonna post about that time in my late teens when i helped turn an overly snobby private golf course into an amusement park the whole family can enjoy.
But Caddyshack 2 was fucking awful.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

Ha

I almost posted Mighty Ducks 4: When the ice melts
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Re:

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:32 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:b.) can hold their breathe under water for minutes at a time

ALIEN: RESURRECTION has the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA of "holding your breath for a ridiculous amount of time" scenes. They must've been swimming through that kitchen for twelve minutes and every time they see an alien they yell and blow gigantic clouds of bubbles out of their mouths and then they keep swimming for nine or ten minutes. Great stuff.

Amen to that!
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Amen to that!

But it is a great scene altogether....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:24 pm

The squad/team member who is injured so holds a grenade or bomb trigger to allow the rest of the gang to flee.

Cue agonised last breaths then a wall of flame.....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Worst Part's Almost Over on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:42 pm

travis-dane wrote:
Worst Part's Almost Over wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Amen to that!

But it is a great scene altogether....

I don't know...I think it makes it less of a great scene in some ways. The distance from any kind of reality breaks the moment for me. But some people might not see it that way, as the story of a woman being reincarnated so an alien parasite can be bred back into existence may seem pretty far from reality too! :-P
Worst Part's Almost Over
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:47 pm

stereosforgeeks wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

It's always a damn mall.

Ali G In Da House?

As an oversexed teen I was once locked inside a local mall overnight, with my oversexed drug addled friends, as we were systematically hunted down and brutally killed by the mall security robot(s).
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Mothafuckin' Chopping Mall!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:36 am

It is now a cliché that a beloved "nice" character in a Joss Whedon written piece of entertainment will die. It started with Jenny Calendar, then Tara, then Cordelia, then Fred, then Penny, then Wash, and it would have happened to Inara eventually. It's like M. Night's "twists" in his movies. Give it up! Joss, I beg you, man. LET YOUR CHARACTERS LIVE!!! :lol:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue May 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Smartass snotty mouthed chicks that try to be all cool and different and alternative so much like so many teenage Natalie Portman characters (Garden State, Beautiful Girls) or that flamin' curly haired chick from American Pie who told those stories about Finch, you know, she wore headphones to the prom as she was oh so to cool for their crappy music. Well chicks like these are becoming so forced and common now that instead of being outside of the norm, they become even worse - as characters that try too hard and too much and to often to be different that they have the reverse effect and become even more a dispicable a caricature than the one they are trying to beat, henceforth becoming a Criminal Cliche!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 am

Only because I just used it as a joke in another thread...

Why is every phone number always 555? Why not just have a real one, or at least a realistic one? This always sort of takes me out of the moment because EVERY FILM does it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 27, 2009 2:21 am

I think because filmmakers don't want to accidentally write an actual number, and then have like hundreds of weirdos who see the movie call some poor guy in Ohio just to see if anybody was on the other end.
The 555 area code is distracting because it's clearly fake, but that's why they use it. The only times you ever see a real number in movies is when they actually buy that specific telephone number so they know they won't get in trouble if people call it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby BuckyO'harre on Wed May 27, 2009 2:23 am

*Finished after Ribbons had posted.

Every person who ever had 867-5309 as their phone number wrote: :roll:

Ask Yahoo wrote:In the old exchange-name telephone number system (think Pennsylvania 6-5000), no English place names contained the combination of the letters J, K, and L -- all assigned to the digit "5" on the phone. So the prefix 555 went largely unused, and Hollywood was encouraged to use it to discourage those darn crank-calling kids. These days, 555 phone numbers are actually being assigned to legitimate businesses, and Hollywood has been restricted to numbers in the 555-0100 to 555-0199 range.

Finally, we'd be remiss if we didn't mention 555-LIST, an ongoing project to compile all the 555 numbers used in TV and movies. So whether you're trying to dial Agent Scully at Quantico (555-2804) or Ned Flanders in Springfield (555-8904), you'll find the numbers of all your favorite fictional characters.
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Smartass snotty mouthed chicks that try to be all cool and different and alternative so much like so many teenage Natalie Portman characters (Garden State, Beautiful Girls) or that flamin' curly haired chick from American Pie who told those stories about Finch, you know, she wore headphones to the prom as she was oh so to cool for their crappy music. Well chicks like these are becoming so forced and common now that instead of being outside of the norm, they become even worse - as characters that try too hard and too much and to often to be different that they have the reverse effect and become even more a dispicable a caricature than the one they are trying to beat, henceforth becoming a Criminal Cliche!

caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 27, 2009 10:44 am

W3RD
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Has Kirk been back to this thread? I've been checking back to see if he goes on some type of enormously large rant.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 27, 2009 3:31 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:Has Kirk been back to this thread? I've been checking back to see if he goes on some type of enormously large rant.

:evil:

That's all I have to say.

:evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 pm

But you have to admit that's true. She's like the classic example of what you just described.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Just go and play with your Snake. :evil:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:21 pm

I suppose I'm going to wake up one morning with a pillow over my face.

It's a strange feeling to know you're living on borrowed time.

I'm gonna go watch a sunset.
caruso_stalker217

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Kirks lack of protest means he knows in his heart it's true . . . :mrgreen:
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Hermanator X on Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I suppose I'm going to wake up one morning with a pillow over my face.

Huhhhh, THOSE ARENT PILLOWS!!!!!

Fixed. 8-)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:32 pm

:lol:
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 am

yeah I was waiting on a big Kirks' rant too, kind of disappointed too
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu May 28, 2009 2:20 am

Bloo wrote:yeah I was waiting on a big Kirks' rant too, kind of disappointed too

Kirk went a different route...

CARUSO_SHITPIPE
by TITBAG May 27th, 2009
08:20:48 PM
I'VE REGISTERED WITH AICN PURELY TO TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE A COMPLETE CUNT.
KONG. OH, FOR FUCKS SAKE.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Thu May 28, 2009 2:23 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 28, 2009 2:55 am

I'm just glad to know there's someone out there registered as "TITBAG."

There was also some dude slinging shit in the BAD LIEUTENANT talkback. Amusing stuff.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 am

so after watching FRED CLAUS on HBO2, I have to say that Christmas movies in general are just about one big cliche after another

but they can keep making them as long as Elizabeth Banks is in a short skirt "christmas" theme outfit
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 28, 2009 4:38 am

Bloo wrote:but they can keep making them as long as Elizabeth Banks is in a short skirt "christmas" theme outfit

Amen.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Bloo on Thu May 28, 2009 9:29 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Bloo wrote:but they can keep making them as long as Elizabeth Banks is in a short skirt "christmas" theme outfit

Amen.

easily the best part of that movie

I know this isn't really a cliche but I caught a little bit of the musical version of HAIRSPRAY tonight as well...does Allison janney play the same char. in everything she does
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:56 am

This one has probably been mentioned before (maybe even by me), but one cliche I think they definitely need to retire is the old "I know a little [insert foreign language here]... let me seduce you/ask for help with [insert hilariously nonsensical gibberish in said foreign language here]." I sort of get where the humor is in that situation, but most of the time knowing a lot less of another language than you think you do doesn't work like that, yet in movies and TV there's always somebody saying "Please have the donkey put butter down my pants" in French or something, and as a gag it's been repeated so often that it's almost not even a joke anymore.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:10 am

On very rare occasions it does work like that.

Can I become a schnitzel?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 am

An Evil Raccoon.

I've just seen too many in films now. That Beth film just tipped me over.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:52 am

Movies about vikings always end with a dead guy being put out to sea and burned.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:47 am

papalazeru wrote:An Evil Raccoon.

I've just seen too many in films now. That Beth film just tipped me over.

Who would win in a fight - Evil Raccoon or...a Lucasfilm Curious Gopher?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:50 am

Fried Gold wrote:Who would win in a fight - Evil Raccoon or...a Lucasfilm Curious Gopher?

It doesn't matter,

Compared to Transformers 2, A fight movie between Evil Raccoon and a Lucasfilm Curious Gopher would be Citizen Kane.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion