MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: MOVIE CLICHES

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm

I don't know how big a cliche this is, but another one that I've seen a lot of recently that bugs me is when children who are separated from their biological parents (and often unsatisfied with their new ones) begin to manifest the same personality traits or even hobbies -- a passion for reading, an interest in magic and comic books, "loyalty and courage," etc. (see: "Veronica Mars," The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, the Harry Potter franchise) -- proving definitively that the concept of nurture doesn't exist, I guess, when I feel like it would be more interesting (and accurate) if the opposite were the case.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't know how big a cliche this is, but another one that I've seen a lot of recently that bugs me is when children who are separated from their biological parents (and often unsatisfied with their new ones) begin to manifest the same personality traits or even hobbies -- a passion for reading, an interest in magic and comic books, "loyalty and courage," etc. (see: "Veronica Mars," The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, the Grande Rojo Potter franchise) -- proving definitively that the concept of nurture doesn't exist, I guess, when I feel like it would be more interesting (and accurate) if the opposite were the case.

Excuse me, what about Twin Dragons?

They were products of their environemtn more than anything else. ;)

I totally understand what you're saying but I keep thinking of the Jeff Fahey film, "Body Parts" as well.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't know how big a cliche this is, but another one that I've seen a lot of recently that bugs me is when children who are separated from their biological parents (and often unsatisfied with their new ones) begin to manifest the same personality traits or even hobbies -- a passion for reading, an interest in magic and comic books, "loyalty and courage," etc. (see: "Veronica Mars," The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, the Grande Rojo Potter franchise) -- proving definitively that the concept of nurture doesn't exist, I guess, when I feel like it would be more interesting (and accurate) if the opposite were the case.

Interesting, I wish I'd read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay so I could think on all 3 of your examples (I just got it from my dad, but haven't started it yet).

I'm not sure I get the Veronica Mars reference, as she is really the product of her father more than anything else (and she is very close to him). Unless you were talking about another character from that show. And Veronica's mother was around for her childhood.

I see what you mean about Harry Potter. The skill in magic seems to be genetic, but many of his other characteristics are often referred to as being very much like his father or mother (Sirius notes it several times, as does Dumbledore (and Snape but in a less complimentary way)) so point well taken on that one.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I'm not sure I get the Veronica Mars reference, as she is really the product of her father more than anything else (and she is very close to him). Unless you were talking about another character from that show. And Veronica's mother was around for her childhood.

Yeah, it was a different character. I've only watched season 1 of the show so they might not have even been around by the end of the series, but there was an early episode where it turned out that this computer girl named Mac and one of the 09ers named Madison Sinclair had been switched as babies, and you see that they're almost exactly like their real families, rather than the ones that raised them. Obviously intelligence and certain dispositions towards mood can be inherited, but they imply that genetics is behind an affinity towards NASCAR, Fellini, even certain types of food.

Also you should definitely check out Kavalier & Clay; it's still pretty sweet, all cliches considered.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

Yeah, it was a different character. I've only watched season 1 of the show so they might not have even been around at the end of the series, but there was an early episode where it turned out that this computer girl named Mac and one of the 09ers named Madison Sinclair had been switched as babies, and you see that they're almost exactly like their real families, rather than the ones that raised them.

Also you should definitely check out Kavalier & Clay; it's still pretty sweet, all cliches considered.

Yup, I'm excited to read it! My dad actually really liked it. It's funny, he is not interested in comics in the least or anything remotely geeky, but he read that and is now reading World War Z, lol. I think he's trying to relate to me :lol:

Mac is a very good example of your point! I should have immediately realized that that was the character you are talking about.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Movie cliche #195 -

The Good Ol' "Cut 'n' Slide"
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Movie cliche #195 -

Hahahha. Too true. But I do enjoy them, and those were some good clips!

Nowadays it all seems to be a guessing game of where the cut is going to slowly appear. So you know whats coming, you just dont know where from.

(The dude sliding down the glass was awesome. Whats that from?)

A cliche I thought about recently was elevator cars with handy escape hatches in the top. I dont think ive ever been in a lift without it being completely sealed across the top with metal plate!!
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:36 pm

I love those clips. What's missing is the wire from Omen 3. The whole lift scene.

Apart form that, top notch entertainment. I was thinking of disembowling myself with spears but I wouldn't give you zoners the pleasure ;)
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Isnt the omen one a more realistic instamatic chop in half? Its the slow slide apart that distinguishes these clips.

The cube ones pretty good too, but if i have to nitpick, I would say that the bottom of the swinging wire frame should have knocked his feet out from under him.....
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Hermanator X wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Movie cliche #195 -

Hahahha. Too true. But I do enjoy them, and those were some good clips!

Nowadays it all seems to be a guessing game of where the cut is going to slowly appear. So you know whats coming, you just dont know where from.

(The dude sliding down the glass was awesome. Whats that from?)

A cliche I thought about recently was elevator cars with handy escape hatches in the top. I dont think ive ever been in a lift without it being completely sealed across the top with metal plate!!

Oh come on though! You know you've all did a John McClane and checked to see if those roofs lift up!!!

Just like when you see a slow train going past a platform with crates on them - but with part of that train with just a flat car - and you go running along it to get up the same speed and contemplate what it would be like to jump onto that flat car and go for a ride, like if you were escaping some prison guards after you've just broken out of the chain gang or something.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Oh come on though! You know you've all did a John McClane and checked to see if those roofs lift up!!!

Of course, I tried it in a hospital lift the other day, and it was all solid steel plate. So I call bullshit. :D
Strange norwegian lift gag, most of them over here are produced by a company called Schindlers. Childish and shit but it makes me giggle.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Hermanator X wrote:A cliche I thought about recently was elevator cars with handy escape hatches in the top. I dont think ive ever been in a lift without it being completely sealed across the top with metal plate!!

Only once have I seen it, and that was in a dodgy hotel in Menorca.

Not only did have a service hatch in the top, the hatch was missing. So it was an odd lift with a hole in the ceiling.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:44 am

Completely ALF cliche

telling someone pointing a gun at you that he/she is too chickenshit to shoot anyway.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:10 am

I was meaning to bump this thread anyway, because I've been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls recently (don't ask) and they constantly recycle one of the most annoying cliches in the romance genre: the bad boy with Hidden Depths.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:46 am

It's not a cliche if it's true

don't crush my dreams. :(
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:25 am

Al Shut wrote:It's not a cliche if it's true

don't crush my dreams. :(

Yeah exactly, most of the time in real life it IS true. You're the nice guy, but the bad boy turns out to have even DEEPER depths and endearing soft qualities than you!! Hahhaaa!! You loser you suck the chicks prefer the Wanker over you at the end of the day!

Now THAT'S realism!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:18 am

Ribbons wrote:I was meaning to bump this thread anyway, because I've been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls recently (don't ask) and they constantly recycle one of the most annoying cliches in the romance genre: the bad boy with Hidden Depths.

The whole premise of Gilmore Girls is a giant perpetual motion machine of cliche.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:57 am

Al Shut wrote:Completely ALF cliche

telling someone pointing a gun at you that he/she is too chickenshit to shoot anyway.

yeah I noticed that one in GI JOE and I was going to mention it here
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:11 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Ribbons wrote:I was meaning to bump this thread anyway, because I've been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls recently (don't ask) and they constantly recycle one of the most annoying cliches in the romance genre: the bad boy with Hidden Depths.

The whole premise of Gilmore Girls is a giant perpetual motion machine of cliche.

You're right, but that particular cliche is one I've thought about before and its constant use just reminded me to bring it up.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:02 am

Ribbons wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

You're right, but that particular cliche is one I've thought about before and its constant use just reminded me to bring it up.

Well, they only used it once (Stretched out to two or three seasons), with the dude who later was in "Heroes". Rory's next boyfriend was just an arrogant Struggling Background Artist with no hidden depths. (Don't wanna turn this into a GG discussion thread, but am I the only one who thinks that Rory had a HORRIBLE Taste in boyfriends? She was such a smart girl, but always fell for the first "cool rebel" she could find, after she ditched the Winchester boy.)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby minstrel on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Bloo wrote:
Al Shut wrote:Completely ALF cliche

yeah I noticed that one in GI JOE and I was going to mention it here

Well, Gene Hackman and Saul Rubinek did a version of that in Unforgiven, and it was amazingly effective - excellent scripting and acting! Damn, Hackman was great in that movie!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Al Shut on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Of course It dosn't count as cliche when it makes perfect sense
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Well that scene from Unforgiven is different than the cliched 'you don't have the guts!' normal moment we're talking about.

That one was Little Bill OFFERING the writer character to kill him to free himself and the Duck of Death. He GAVE him the gun and let him take a shot. The gun didn't even have a bullet in it anyway. The whole thing was a psychological dare and even a hint at suicide.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Duck, I says
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:08 am

one I noticed tonight while watching GI JOE for a 2nd time

the slow motercycle ride up, sunglassess off, in the rain, breakup, then ride off scene

as seen in GI JOE, and GHOST RIDER (off the top of my head LOL)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby minstrel on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:18 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well that scene from Unforgiven is different than the cliched 'you don't have the guts!' normal moment we're talking about.

That one was Little Bill OFFERING the writer character to kill him to free himself and the Duck of Death. He GAVE him the gun and let him take a shot. The gun didn't even have a bullet in it anyway. The whole thing was a psychological dare and even a hint at suicide.

This isn't true. The gun WAS loaded. Sure, Little Bill offered Beauchamp the gun, and the gun was LOADED. Beauchamp would not pull the trigger, and Little Bill says "That's why there are so few dangerous men in the world. Like me. Like Bob here." And he reaches for the gun, and Beauchamp holds the gun away and says, "What if I gave it to him?" (meaning English Bob). And English Bob won't take it. Why? Because he thinks (1) that Little Bill will shoot him before he can aim it, and (2) that Little Bill has presented Beauchamp with an UNLOADED GUN. He thinks he's getting himself into a deadly trap if he takes it, because he won't be able to shoot back at Little Bill. Finally, Little Bill takes the gun and makes a big show of emptying out the bullets that were in the gun, proving that it WAS loaded the whole time! English Bob would have had a chance! THAT'S why English Bob looks so despondent when the bullets are dropping to the floor - he missed his chance.

The point is, the gun was LOADED. It wasn't just a psychological dare. It was a REAL dare.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 am

minstrel wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well that scene from Unforgiven is different than the cliched 'you don't have the guts!' normal moment we're talking about.

This isn't true. The gun WAS loaded.

What a Struggling Background Artist I am. Doesn't bother reading the rest. Shoots himself.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bloo on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:55 pm

here's one I noticed today whilst watching LOST with some friends

the bank vault stacked with piles of money
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:04 pm

Bloo wrote:here's one I noticed today whilst watching LOST with some friends

the bank vault stacked with piles of money

I think you'll find that a little something gets lost in the translation
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Hermanator X on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:04 pm

Just noticed one:

Police knock on an apartment door, and they hear from inside "Just a minute" and the cops motion to each other to stand on either side of the door.
Inevitably, gunshots blow holes in the door, but its ok, cos they are standing to the side.

CRIMINALS: In future, shoot at the wall on either side of the door, rather than the door itself, to hit your target. (Any olegers can steal this for movie or comic book page, I would love to see it done justice. haha)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 am

Hermanator X wrote:(Any olegers can steal this for movie or comic book page, I would love to see it done justice. haha)

Man, you must've read my mind because I was toying with that exact idea.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Bloo on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 am

Hermanator X wrote:Just noticed one:

Police knock on an apartment door, and they hear from inside "Just a minute" and the cops motion to each other to stand on either side of the door.
Inevitably, gunshots blow holes in the door, but its ok, cos they are standing to the side.

CRIMINALS: In future, shoot at the wall on either side of the door, rather than the door itself, to hit your target. (Any olegers can steal this for movie or comic book page, I would love to see it done justice. haha)

that is awesome
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 am

Cinemassre's Top 10 Worst Movie Clichés

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-top-10/3327701

...remember to count dips to black from now on.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:04 am

When one badass samurai is attacked by 100 other samurai, they always attack him one at a time until they're slowly whittled down. Silly buggers spend so long perfecting their Suishou Fire Raven technique or some such shit, that they never twigged on that if they're fighting Toshiro Mifune or Tatsuya Nakadai, attacking all at once is the only way they have a hope in hell of surviving.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby travis-dane on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 am

Fried Gold wrote:Cinemassre's Top 10 Worst Movie Clichés

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-top-10/3327701

...remember to count dips to black from now on.

I counted those things today in a trailer for a Dustin Hoffman movie. It was 23 in an two minute trailer.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Bloo on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

I was looking for a movie on Netflix the other day and I noticed that almost every romantic comedy on the cover as the girl in a red dress, what's up with THAT
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:53 pm

Bloo wrote:I was looking for a movie on Netflix the other day and I noticed that almost every romantic comedy on the cover as the girl in a red dress, what's up with THAT

My hand.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Black people don’t shake hands. They prefer to "bump fists".

White people don’t really get the "bump fists" thing. This often leads to "humourously" inept attempts at "being black".

" "
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bloo on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Black people don’t shake hands. They prefer to "bump fists".

White people don’t really get the "bump fists" thing. This often leads to "humourously" inept attempts at "being black".

" "

holds out fist for a fist bump
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Bloo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Black people don’t shake hands. They prefer to "bump fists".

" "

holds out fist for a fist bump

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 pm

One MAN!!... On the edge of retirement/on retirement. One last job!!!
They were two mismatched men!!! Now they're teaming up!!!

One MAN/WOMAN!!! On the run and hunted by their own organisation who they worked for, for a crime he/she didn't commit!! Nooowww... he's/she's out to clear his/her name!!

Oh come on! Forfuxake! These cliches have been done and buried many many movies ago. Yet Shane oh you're such a brilliant writer who hates his own buddy buddy movies and wants to do something better and more original Black and Angelina actually you're rather ugly before you had Hollywood shit done to your face Jolie are STILL rehashing these tired and well boring formulas in their next movies. We moan or we don't moan when we should - but you know what? We're still the gentlemen that go and see this shit and encourage more. I think I might pull a Star Trek and avoid seeing them on principle.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby John-Locke on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am

Academy Award Winning Movie Trailer

Safe for work

WIN!
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 am

John-Locke wrote:

I saw this the other day. It's one of the more brilliant satires I've seen on the internet. Bravo.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 am

"This scene doesn't make it into the movie."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:21 am

so I was watching ep1 of Big Love today and I noticed that a character starts reading off a credit card number that started with 9

my question is, is 9 the generic beginning CC number like 555 is for telephone numbers
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
John-Locke wrote:

I saw this the other day. It's one of the more brilliant satires I've seen on the internet. Bravo.

Brilliant. I freeze framed many of the lines just to take them all in properly and finish laughing out loud to them. So many good ones in there that I had to give full justice to.

Some goodies...

"Whispered repetition!"
Actor desperately trying for an award.
OVER-REACTION!!!!!!
Dragon The Bruce Lee Story theme used also in the Forrest Gump trailer, complete with Forrest Gump slo mo coming at the camera style shot, exactly the same as actual shot was used in the Gump trailer in same sync to the music.

All good.

Man though, they really give it to movies. Hard to make a film with such things like this out there knowing you're always gonna be caught out by such folk. Guess it's one of the best lessons out there teaching us to be completely natural/real and original.

Damnit, JL put this up. I take it all back.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby buster00 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:17 am

Safe for work

WIN!

Enthusiastic agreement with above statement!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:38 am

buster00 wrote:

Safe for work

WIN!

Enthusiastic agreement with above statement!

CatchyacronymthatonlyafewzonersevenunderstandanymoreILASH!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Al Shut on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:54 pm

The ridiculously huge tree house build with an implausible support of material and skill by a bunch of middle schoolers.

But maybe I'm just envious.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I seem to recall JACK having a pretty decent treehouse. Then Bill Cosby farted into a coffee can.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion