MOVIE CLICHES

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: MOVIE CLICHES

Postby Bloo on Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:04 pm

man I designed my own super tree house but never could get it built right
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm

[points gun at someone]

GIVE ME A REASON!!!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby cerafan86 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

I watched like 30 mins of the unborn the other day and that whole 30 mins was comprised of scary stuff happening but the character either would wake up or turn a corner or look back and it was just the imagination. Just when you thought some upside down headed dog was going to eat the shit out of her it would disappear. real annoying filmmaking. let it happen!

also, mirror scares. snl made a digital short on this. its funny
Thou art noble. Thou art divine. Thou art dead.
cerafan86
GLIB

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am

actually, that reminded me of another horror movie cliche -- the double-dream wake-up. a character wakes up from a nightmare, breathes a sigh of relief, and then they pull back a curtain or turn over in bed or something, and suddenly they see a dead body or a monster or something pops up and attacks them, only for them to wake up AGAIN, finally out of the nightmare.

the first one of these i can remember was in american werewolf in london, but now it's been used so much it's really a massive cliche, to the point where any time a character wakes up from a bad dream in a horror film, you're waiting for them to REALLY wake up. the thing is, this NEVER happens in real life. i can't ever remember waking up from one dream, only to wake up again because the dream i woke up from was inside another dream itself. i don't think that's ever really happened to anyone.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Hermanator X on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:15 am

TheBaxter wrote:i can't ever remember waking up from one dream, only to wake up again because the dream i woke up from was inside another dream itself.

UNLESS you havent yet woke up from the second dream? (cue twilight zone theme)
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 am

Hermanator X wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i can't ever remember waking up from one dream, only to wake up again because the dream i woke up from was inside another dream itself.

UNLESS you havent yet woke up from the second dream? (cue twilight zone theme)

if i'm dreaming about posting in the zone, then i've really hit rock bottom.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 am

I've mentioned it before here, but that sitting-bolt-upright-waking-from-a-nightmare thing is a cliche I absolutely HATE. I said in another thread that I wasn't too happy with Shutter Island, and part of the reason is that that cliche happens OVER and OVER in that film. Arrgh!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:37 pm

minstrel wrote:I've mentioned it before here, but that sitting-bolt-upright-waking-from-a-nightmare thing is a cliche I absolutely HATE. !

Yeah, they talk about it in several audio commentaries on the "Simpsons" DVDs. So you are not the only one who hates it.

Just re-read this thread an in case I didn't overread anything, you missed some very obvious cliches:

The mysterious, spooky kid in horror movies, often speaking with a creepy, whispering voice, but also often appearing out of nowwhere and then just standing there and looking spooky at the protagonist.

Villain and hero are fighting in the end, hero is somehow able to defeat the villain and holds him at gunpoint and looks like he is about to shoot him. Then suddenly the heroe's wife, daughter or just a policeman yells something like: "No! If you kill him, you are not better than him!" Then the hero drops the gun, turns around to hug his wife, but suddenly the bad guy pulls a knife or another gun out of his boot and wants to kill the hero. But he notices it and kills the bad guy, now being 100% better than him, because unlike a minute before, it was self defense.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby cerafan86 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
minstrel wrote:I've mentioned it before here, but that sitting-bolt-upright-waking-from-a-nightmare thing is a cliche I absolutely HATE. !

Yeah, they talk about it in several audio commentaries on the "Simpsons" DVDs. So you are not the only one who hates it.

Just re-read this thread an in case I didn't overread anything, you missed some very obvious cliches:

The mysterious, spooky kid in horror movies, often speaking with a creepy, whispering voice, but also often appearing out of nowwhere and then just standing there and looking spooky at the protagonist.

Villain and hero are fighting in the end, hero is somehow able to defeat the villain and holds him at gunpoint and looks like he is about to shoot him. Then suddenly the heroe's wife, daughter or just a policeman yells something like: "No! If you kill him, you are not better than him!" Then the hero drops the gun, turns around to hug his wife, but suddenly the bad guy pulls a knife or another gun out of his boot and wants to kill the hero. But he notices it and kills the bad guy, now being 100% better than him, because unlike a minute before, it was self defense.

ughhh yess! hate it. can we see something different please?
Thou art noble. Thou art divine. Thou art dead.
cerafan86
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:13 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Villain and hero are fighting in the end, hero is somehow able to defeat the villain and holds him at gunpoint and looks like he is about to shoot him. Then suddenly the heroe's wife, daughter or just a policeman yells something like: "No! If you kill him, you are not better than him!" Then the hero drops the gun, turns around to hug his wife, but suddenly the bad guy pulls a knife or another gun out of his boot and wants to kill the hero. But he notices it and kills the bad guy, now being 100% better than him, because unlike a minute before, it was self defense.

This is one that bugs the crap out of me everytime I see it as well. It's the writer's way of having their cake and eating it too: write character into moral dilemma, and allow character (and audience) to get away with it on a technicality.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 pm

What about the guy who is attempting to commit suicide and the protagonist thinks he can help, but he does a really shitty job. But for some reason, through the protagonist's shittiness, the suicide guy just sort of gives up, so the protagonist saves the day, even though it makes no sense at all.

Or what about that old one where someone's holding someone else at gunpoint, and says he's giving them to the count of three, but he NEVER counts to three. Cheesy.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:56 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Or what about that old one where someone's holding someone else at gunpoint, and says he's giving them to the count of three, but he NEVER counts to three. Cheesy.

Not as bad as the good ol' "1...2...2 1/2...2 3/4..."
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:31 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:What about the guy who is attempting to commit suicide and the protagonist thinks he can help, but he does a really shitty job. But for some reason, through the protagonist's shittiness, the suicide guy just sort of gives up, so the protagonist saves the day, even though it makes no sense at all.

Can you provide an example of this, please?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:38 am

Lethal Weapon has a variation, technically the guy doesn't give up but Riggs saves the day despite acting nowhere near to realistic or professional
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:42 am

See, Riggs actually pulled the guy off the ledge, so I don't think that should count. :lol:
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:25 am

RogueScribner wrote:
Nachokoolaid wrote:What about the guy who is attempting to commit suicide and the protagonist thinks he can help, but he does a really shitty job. But for some reason, through the protagonist's shittiness, the suicide guy just sort of gives up, so the protagonist saves the day, even though it makes no sense at all.

Yes Man
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:30 am

Bayouwolf wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

Yes Man

Is it a cliche if it only happens in one movie? :?
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby minstrel on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:41 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:Or what about that old one where someone's holding someone else at gunpoint, and says he's giving them to the count of three, but he NEVER counts to three. Cheesy.

"Three shall be the number of the count, and the number of the count shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor shalt thou count two, unless thou proceedest directly to three. Five is right out ..."

"One! Two! Five!"
minstrel

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:52 pm

I just remembered two more:
- There is this guy. He already is a pretty dorky, chlumsy, you name it, but he has a good heart and loves the hottest girl in school/next door. But he not just knows the she is out of his league, everytime she comes near him, he acts even dumber than usual. But then something happens, that makes him even look worse! His hand is possessed by a demon, his penis starts to talk during the most inappropriate moments, he gets superpowers that he can't control and shit like that. And even though the situation he is now stuck in,forces him to act like a REAL weirdo and he probably even accidently blows up his dreamgirl's house or kills her dog, she still falls in love with him and in the end the are a couple.

- If a charcter is a rebel, he wears a Ramones shirt (or has a Ramones poster hanging in his room)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:40 am

Okay here's one I always notice and never understand:

When there's a teenage character in a movie they always decorate the set of their room with posters, but the posters are always hung on the wall at a 45 degree angle. Is to show teenagers are rebellious and won't hang posters all level and square with the floor and ceiling like how adults would hang a painting? Or is it just to show that whole teenager messy room sloppiness like they didn't think about how the posters would look?

I know if I'd hung my poster of Samantha Fox at a 45 degree angle when I was a teenager I'd probably have a lobsided dick today.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:03 pm

i think someone needs to go look up the word "cliche" in the dictionary, because i don't think they are using it right.......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I know if I'd hung my poster of Samantha Fox at a 45 degree angle when I was a teenager I'd probably have a lobsided dick today.

You can't fool us. It was the poster of Dolph Lundgren that straightened your dick out, wasn't it?
:wink:
minstrel

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:31 pm

Peven wrote:i think someone needs to go look up the word "cliche" in the dictionary, because i don't think they are using it right.......

Is that somebody me? I hope so!

Tapehead gave up on teaching me proper use of words, I look forward to breaking you too.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby John-Locke on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:13 am

I watched two films tonight that had exactly the same two clichés

At the start of the film some reason for tension is set up, the character is about to do something that probably isn't going to work out too well (usually this is explained through narration by said character). Then it's 10 years/4 weeks earlier and we know that the majority of the film will lead up to that moment, soon followed by the climax of the film.

Surprise surprise but things don't end up going as expected, usually the character survives but loses all their money/ends up in prison in the process, that doesn't matter thought because being honest to who you really are/being alive/getting out while you still can etc. is far more important.

And because things didn't go as planned but it's still not an unhappy ending we get a montage of what happens to all the characters with The Rolling Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played over the top.

Both films I watched (The Hoax, The Middle Men) had these two clichés but I also know it's not the first time I've seen them.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:02 am

Peven wrote:i think someone needs to go look up the word "cliche" in the dictionary, because i don't think they are using it right.......

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 am

The Vicar wrote:

You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.....

Don't be too hard on Peven. I don't know the meaning of "dictionary" either. I wish there was a book or something where I could look up the meaning of that word.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:32 am

Wait, wait....I know......ewwwww....dammit.
Nothing.
Thank Crom for Google. brb.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 pm

i would explain why I put up that post....if i didn't think it could be understood with a little effort and it becomes tedious to continually have to do such a thing just because people want to be a pain in the ass

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 am

The use of the word, 'Hope' is a cliche. Soooooooo many boring times it's used - as a good thing! Hope isn't. Hope can lead you up the garden path and end up wasting your time. (Ain't that right, Morgan Freeman from The Shawshank Redemption?)

Case in point. The Changeling. Fucking Angelina Jolie at the end of the movie saying that a kid escaping from the farm where her son was kept captive, "It gives me...... (wait, what's the word gonna be I wonder? I bet it's.... hope?)....... hope." Yeaaah give that man a cigar, I freaking KNEW she would say that word. Cliched. and. perfectly. predictable.

People give up on the word, 'hope' please. It's overrused and is not a virtue.

You know what else is a cliche? Using. fullstop. marks. to. make. a. point. And using the word 'Freaking'.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 am

cliche isn't necessarily bad or wrong, though, Kirks. depends on the context...

cliche is by definition something most people "get" right away, a shared moment of recognition among the audience. by the use of a cliche a film-maker can get everyone watching on the same page in what he is trying to say or convey in a scene or with a character.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 am

Cliches became a cliche for a good reason. Use of, because they speak well.

Except when coming out of Angelina "Fuck you, and the horse you rode in on" (Groan cliche) Jolie's mouth.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm

"I'm sorry."
"Me too."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 02, 2013 6:26 am

I could die a happy man without hearing the story about the scorpion who can't change what he is ever again.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu May 02, 2013 9:45 am

There's probably a Pixar movie in the works about how the scorpion is just misunderstood and he decides to fight his image by learning to swim and carry frogs across the river.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Thu May 02, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am

That's funny, I think somebody brought that up in another thread as well. They said by now the story should be so well-known that when someone goes "Do you know the story of the scorpion and the frog?" the other person can just say "Yes, we all do" and end the conversation there.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:55 am

Go. GO!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 am

You just don't get it, do you?!
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:16 pm

"just like old times!"

"It's been a long time...."

"I never thought I'd see you here again" or "I can't believe you showed your face here again"

"I'm baaaack"

"court is adjourned" -post fatality line

"aren't you a sight for sore eyes"

"do you know who you are fucking with!?" or the declarative variation "You don't know who you are fucking with!" or the past tense, "it obviously didn't know who it was fucking with"

"it's a good day to die" or "well, no one lives forever"(then......ACTION!)

[top bad guy turns and suddenly kills one of his henchman who has screwed up]

"he's alive!"

and pretty much every line from any Sylvester Stallone or Ahnold movie

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Peven wrote:"I never thought I'd see you here again"

...or the angry version, "You got some nerve showing your face around here."
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:The use of the word, 'Hope' is a cliche. Soooooooo many boring times it's used - as a good thing! Hope isn't. Hope can lead you up the garden path and end up wasting your time. (Ain't that right, Morgan Freeman from The Shawshank Redemption?)

Case in point. The Changeling. Fucking Angelina Jolie at the end of the movie saying that a kid escaping from the farm where her son was kept captive, "It gives me...... (wait, what's the word gonna be I wonder? I bet it's.... hope?)....... hope." Yeaaah give that man a cigar, I freaking KNEW she would say that word. Cliched. and. perfectly. predictable.

People give up on the word, 'hope' please. It's overrused and is not a virtue.

You know what else is a cliche? Using. fullstop. marks. to. make. a. point. And using the word 'Freaking'.

"It's not an 'S'. On my world, it means hope."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:52 pm

I task someone to photoshop a screen-cap of that scene and add to the "S"" an Obama campaign insignia

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:28 am

Don't forget the serial killer chasing his victim: "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" or "Where are you? I swear I won't hurt you!"
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:14 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Hey! I just saw The Guest, which was a serial killer movie with a good hall of mirrors scene
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:17 pm

This is more of a TV thing, but Mr. Superabilities and Detective Ladyskeptic
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:29 am

"You missed!"

"Did I?"
Ribbons