Wonder Woman

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Adam Balm wrote:Latino Review has a review of the newly bought Whedon-less spec script that made news two days before his departure was announced:

tp://latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=48

Link isn't working...what was the gist of it?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Here is the script review from Latino Review:

[quote]Rating:A-
Almost Perfect

Wonder Woman

MPAA Rating: Unavailable
Reviewed by: El Mayimbe - 02.03.07

WONDER WOMAN
Screenplay by Matthew Jennison and Brent Strickland
Story by Matthew Jennison, Brent Strickland and Kevin Shawley
Based on the DC Comics characters created by William Moulton Marston
130 pages

OYE MIRA!

EL MAGNIFICO MOFACKIN’ MAYIMBE HERE!

Welcome to our Super Bowl Edition Superhero Spec Spotlight! The last time we did one of these was on Batman Begins.

But first about that J.J. Star Trek thing…

After all, I said it is just a rumor, but folks, as Public Enemy sang famously back in the days – DON’T BELIEVE THE HYPE! That rumor is picking up steam in the business community here in Hollywood – hence why I reported it to Ronnie Adams. There is something really fishy going on over there on Melrose.

The trades say one thing, then the next day something else happens.

Case in point – WONDER WOMAN!

Warner Bros. buys this excellent spec script (which we will preview for you shortly) and says something along the lines of committing to Whedon’s contemporary version, then the very next day Whedon is off the project!

Just like I suspected. Why would you take a spec off the market when you own the rights already? I never bought this protection from liability jibberish that the trades were spoon-feeding us.

See why you can never trust the trades! See la comemierderia!

My goodness it is Black Superhero Friday or what? First Whedon is off Wonder Woman, and now David Goyer is off The Flash!

Que carajo is going on over there in Burbank?

Anyway, in regards to Wonder Woman – the spec that Silver picked up ROCKS!
A fun filled adventure packed girl power action movie in the 1940s!

1943 to be exact. Just where this character belongs.

Now I know ya’ll are not here to hear my rants in colloquial Spanglish so let’s get to it and preview the first act.

We open with QUEEN HIPPOLYTE and her THREE THOUSAND AMAZON WARRIORS all clad in battle armor and bracelets.

We pull back even further and FIFTY THOUSAND MEN, all armed for war, advance on the Amazon.

In VOICEOVER HIPPOLYTE tells us that they were created to guard against the evils of the world. Strong, wise, and compassionate, Hera gave breath to the AMAZON. In the ancient days, they lived among Mankind…but Man fears what it cannot control. Man sought to take the power of the Amazon but doing so would have destroyed Man’s World.

Hippolyte erupts in a battle cry and the Amazon charge forward, meeting the army of man head on.

The action is fierce. The Amazon are superior warriors, but the numbers of Man’s army are too great and the Amazon take heavy casualties.

Hippolyte further tell us that to protect the world from such devastation they would do anything. Even flee.

We next see Hippolyte leading twenty Amazon ships into the open ocean. An Armada is in hot pursuit. She further tells us that they sailed forth without a destination, guided only by their faith.

Hera heard her prayers.

Hippolyte steers her ships toward a Heavenly star and the Amazon make it past the storm, which engulfs man’s ships towards – THEMYSCIRA. Hippolyte finishes her voiceover by telling us that Themyscira has been The Amazon’s home for three thousand years, a place where they could live in peace, hidden from the world of man.

After the credit sequence over a montage of military imagery showing the history of mankind’s warfare growing even deadlier, we open in 1943 Germany and meet

STEVE TREVOR (30)

A tall, handsome son of a senator but made it on his own American in a Nazi SS disguise, snaps photos of Nazi Jet blueprints that look incredibly advanced for the 1940s.
The words “AMERIKA BOMBERâ€
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks, fellas!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dark Knight on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:47 pm

I have a bad feeling that Waners is going to change it from a period setting to now. I don't know, just a gut feeling.
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Dark Knight wrote:I have a bad feeling that Waners is going to change it from a period setting to now. I don't know, just a gut feeling.

That would be fine with me. The whole Nazi thing is kinda played.

I'd rather see more of a Greek mythology angle, with Ares as the baddie.

Can't ya just see Ares leading an army of the dead against a horde of hot, battle-ready Amazons? Drooly-drool-drool!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:02 pm

You think that WB would make a whole movie about Greek Gods? I can see the Christian gropus flipping out now. If they have a problem with H@rry Potters "black magic" then they will have a problem with living Gods.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Dark Knight wrote:I have a bad feeling that Waners is going to change it from a period setting to now. I don't know, just a gut feeling.

Isn't that the sandbox Joss Whedon was playing in? The spec they bought was set in WWII, not Whedon's script. Maybe that's the problem.

I think Whedon was trying to infuse a lot of mythology into his story, so if Warner didn't groove to his ideas, maybe that won't be a strong element in whatever version gets made.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:You think that WB would make a whole movie about Greek Gods? I can see the Christian gropus flipping out now. If they have a problem with H@rry Potters "black magic" then they will have a problem with living Gods.

Good point, but I don't think they're going to quit cranking out Potter movies anytime soon...

(*cash register sounds in the distance*)
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:50 pm

buster00 wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:You think that WB would make a whole movie about Greek Gods? I can see the Christian gropus flipping out now. If they have a problem with H@rry Potters "black magic" then they will have a problem with living Gods.

Good point, but I don't think they're going to quit cranking out Potter movies anytime soon...

(*cash register sounds in the distance*)

I agree. In the end its about cash. But WW isn't a sure thing by any means. We haven't had an uber-successful female-driven superhero flick. They need to maximize their profits and pissing off Christian groups by showcasing other Gods isn't something WB is going to want to do.

Which is really too bad because that would be such a kick ass flick.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:02 pm

The Mummy films have kinda done it already with Egyptian gods.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:43 pm

And I don't remember any evangelical protests over Clash of the Titans.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:37 pm

Adam Balm wrote:And I don't remember any evangelical protests over Clash of the Titans.

That was 1981...I don't think that is a very apt comparison. The internet and what not allows groups to be way more vocal about things that they dislike.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:46 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Adam Balm wrote:And I don't remember any evangelical protests over Clash of the Titans.

That was 1981...I don't think that is a very apt comparison. The internet and what not allows groups to be way more vocal about things that they dislike.

That's kerazzzzzy! No one cares if they make movies about Greek/Roman gods. And there was no protests anywhere over Clash of the Titans.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:50 pm

I wanted to protest though, after my brother made me sit through it. But I just went into my room and cried instead.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:00 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:

That's kerazzzzzy! No one cares if they make movies about Greek/Roman gods. And there was no protests anywhere over Clash of the Titans.

I really think you underestimate what people will get upset over now-a-days. I am simply saying that WB will try and avoid that type of storyline just to hedge their bets.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:05 pm

It's possible. I do see what you're saying. People are a lot more sensitive these days.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:17 pm

Clash of the Titans wasn't very threatening....if it had been less laughable they'd have been "bawling for the stake & stick".

I'm more surprised that they aren't giving Battlestar Galactica shit - showing modern looking humans practicing polytheism.
Then again, the christian evangelicals saddled the planet with GWB for eight years, so other than that certifiable nutjob Pat Robertson, maybe most have them have decoded to keep a low profile for the time being.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:21 pm

The Vicar wrote:

Clash of the Titans wasn't very threatening....if it had been less laughable they'd have been "bawling for the stake & the one I desire".

I'm more surprised that they aren't giving Battlestar Galactica shit - showing modern looking humans practicing polytheism.
Then again, the christian evangelicals saddled the planet with GWB for eight years, so other than that certifiable nutjob Pat Robertson, maybe most have them have decoded to keep a low profile for the time being.

Oh I know. The fact that in BSG the machines worship a single God while the humans worship many...I was certain that would be recipe for disaster. Had it been a network show I bet there would be some uproar. But since it is buried on the Sci-Fi channel its acceptable.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:26 pm

MAJOR EDIT to a stupid post I made here, which resulted in me and Leckomaniac seriously deleting and editing our posts, so now we've got this....

Heh Chicks! I'm naked just like the Baby Jesus when he was first born under Christian God religion. I'M NAKED!! What do you people have to say about that!?
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DaleTremont on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:14 pm

As Peven and others who I've butted head with on the Whedon issue know, I fucking love the man. I love Buffy, I love Firefly, I freaking love it all. But I have to say, the bitch had it coming. I mean, seriously, how many projects did he have going on in the past couple years?? Toooo many. He should've focused on Wonder Woman. It was his real big break into film. I mean, fucking Wonder Woman! And it looks like he blew it. "Creative differences" my ass. Damn you Joss. You just ruined my day.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Peven on Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:23 pm

i actually liked the sound of the mythological take on WW that Whedon was supposedly taking, and if he had made a WW movie as good as he made "Serenity" i would have been happy to pay to see it. i have to say that if that review/synopsis of the new script is accurate i am not exactly impressed either. imo, sounds like a cheesefest, in a bad way.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DaleTremont on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:10 am

I think the year after Zorro came out was the year Wonder Woman should have been made. Catherine Zeta Jones at her most stunning. I think a reviewer at the time said, and I quote, "If she was any more beautiful, it would be like God's personal joke." Any director, any actress now- it just wouldn't measure up to what could have been.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Dark Knight on Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 am

Why do I have a nagging feeling that Kerry Conran (Sky Captain) is going to be attached to this soon? And then soon WW will have no life in her just like Sky Captain!
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby torpor_haze on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:01 pm

Here's another post on Whedonesque that Joss made

Hi li'l fungi! It's your uncle Jossy with a couple points of clarity. One: There is no definitive 'script' for you guys to dig up. I did a draft that had all the big moments but was structurally wonky, then an outline for a much tighter version, but by that time the end was already in sight, so I never got to do the final definitive draft of the movie I would have made. Besides, anything I've done that the studio ended up wanting to use they could so they'll protect it as they would any of previous attepmts. It's time to let go. And for the record, I would never sign a copy of anything "F@&% so-and-so". This is not my way, and besides, no one here f@&%ed me over. Now if you have a script of "Firefly"... No! Not my way. Zen way.

Finally, right after I posted I had to do interviews and the first thing I told CBR when they asked about WW was "check out Whedonesque." Then I just explained. That's why they followed so hard upon.

Back to work! (Me, not you. You guys hang out. Post among yourselves.) -j.

joss | February 06, 17:58 CET
torpor_haze
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:44 pm

People wanted to track down Whedon's script and write "Fuck Warner Brothers" on it and then have Joss autograph it? Wiggy.

Fuckin' Browncoats. ;)
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Adam Balm on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 pm

RogueScribner wrote:People wanted to track down Whedon's script and write "Fuck Warner Brothers" on it and then have Joss autograph it? Wiggy.

Fuckin' Browncoats. ;)

I think that's a joke referring to Kevin Smith signing copies of his Superman script with 'Fuck Tim Burton'...
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:10 pm

OIC
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:33 am

Holy crappa, does a not a the picture of a the Rachel Bilson look a just a like a the, how you say? "spitting image" of a the Lara Croft?

DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:18 am

What, is it a just a the Dino that a sees a the resemblance?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:19 am

I'm with you, bambino.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:21 am

I mean, holy crappa... ditch a the Mrs. Pitt anna get that girl inna to a the skimpy shorts a NOW!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:27 am

I don't know, Rachel Bilson certainly looks like a video game character, but imagining her trying to do a British accent kind of makes me die inside.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:40 am

I donna have a the problem with a the accent...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:55 am

Why is this even here?

LOCKING.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:58 am

Hey, it's a no less a relevant than a your distorted views onna the latest Heroes episode, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:09 pm

You should take all this to the "Oh I'm a so old and a lonely and a all I got are the pictures of a pretty girls who wouldn't a know their a ass from a the Mandingo, eh" thread.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:13 pm

Type a little louder, eh paisan? My wife, she dinna hear a you...

Oh, anna this a one, she is a for you...

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Anna she's a the German... inna the black a leather, no? Hehehe....
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:18 pm

She married you for your money, putz.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:18 pm

Oh and thanks for the NSFW image.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:19 pm

Two words, eh?

Arm.

Candy.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:23 pm

One word for you:

cuckhold.

Sucka.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:30 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Oh and thanks for the NSFW image.

Hehehe... would a you prefer a THIS?

DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:20 am

Guys, I got a copy of the Wonder Woman script that Silver bought. I'm going to take a look at it. Let you know what's up.

Last Line of the film (for proof):

DIANA: Maybe. But I've still got a thing or two to teach you, Steve Trebor.

130 pages. Interesting.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:38 pm

Trebor? Those guys couldn't even get the name of Diana's love interest right? HACKS!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Maybe she just has a the cold atta the end of a the picture, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Typo? The V and the B are right next to each other on the keyboard.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Adam Balm on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:56 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Typo? The V and the B are right next to each other on the keyboard.

Right above the spoiler space bar....assholes. :x
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion