The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Eric G on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:56 am

Here is a Podcast (.mp3) interview / chat from 1997 (When SciFi Talk had their own radio broadcast), with Steve Sansweet, the author of several books including "Quotable Star Wars", "I'd Rather Kiss a Wookie", and is also a columnist from Star wars Insider. Also joining the interview is Ray Canella of the Sci-Fi channel. The Podcast is a laid back chat about Star Wars merits and enjoying it for what it really was. Also, learn why, when and where the idea came from to "re-master" the Original Trilogy.

Ray Canella's statement "I don't think Star Wars needs to be sold on Special Effects and high technology," is something that I believe also and is probably one of the main reasons for the backlash Lucas and Lucasfilm received after the prequels were released. Too many people were under the impression that Lucas was making scenes with the hidden message "Look! Look at what we can do now!" and forgetting about the "Classic" story that was once Star Wars.

For the full article follow the link: http://www.fi-sci.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby HughJackmansColon on Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:16 am

Ha! Good article. But I still think Lucas in a money hungry wh0re who's writing capabilities are equivalent to that of a 10 year old.
HughJackmansColon
GLIB

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:40 am

Point taken
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:00 am

Maybe its time we take a look at the things we write and consider what sets the PZ apart from Talkbacks. People here tend to defend their ideas with well rounded reasoning, unless they are just fucking around. Further, people here tend to recognize that there are various opinions that might be in conflict with out own. The only reason I bring this up is that there seems to be a suddenly inordinate amount of Star Wars hate popping up in these threads.

So FYI, brainiacs, not everyone hated Star Wars. Not everyone hates Lucas. Honestly, most Star Wars hate stems from the fact that people's expectations were way out of line for what Lucas produced. Too bad. I have an expectation that Adrien Brody NEVER WORK AGAIN, and while I may spew venom at the man, I don't care that he works and I have never said its WRONG to enjoy what he does. It just makes me think you are crazy.

Another reason people seem to get up in arms with Lucas is because they think they could have done better with the material. No. NO.

So yes, we understand Star Wars is disappointing to you, but this isn't Talkbacks where we need to listen to the same Moviemack style comments week in and week out. Stop trolling for Star Wars hate, please.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby wonkabar on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:11 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Maybe its time we take a look at the things we write and consider what sets the PZ apart from Talkbacks. People here tend to defend their ideas with well rounded reasoning, unless they are just fucking around. Further, people here tend to recognize that there are various opinions that might be in conflict with out own. The only reason I bring this up is that there seems to be a suddenly inordinate amount of Star Wars hate popping up in these threads.

So FYI, brainiacs, not everyone hated Star Wars. Not everyone hates Lucas. Honestly, most Star Wars hate stems from the fact that people's expectations were way out of line for what Lucas produced. Too bad. I have an expectation that Adrien Brody NEVER WORK AGAIN, and while I may spew venom at the man, I don't care that he works and I have never said its WRONG to enjoy what he does. It just makes me think you are crazy.

Another reason people seem to get up in arms with Lucas is because they think they could have done better with the material. No. NO.

So yes, we understand Star Wars is disappointing to you, but this isn't Talkbacks where we need to listen to the same Moviemack style comments week in and week out. Stop trolling for Star Wars hate, please.

Point taken.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:12 am

LOL Douche.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:42 am

Yeah...O.K. Burl, point taken seconded............I enjoyed watching all the prequels, my venom only comes in reflection and what could have been............
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:48 am

I think as far as ROTS is concerned, is that people are giving it a harder time than they should, and that they're still wearing their 'I Hate SW Prequels' hats from the other 2 films.

Watch it with a less strict judgement and you'll find it is quie one hell of a movie. I've watched it 4 times, and even though I really liked WOTW and Batman, I still put ROTS SLIGHTLY ahead of them.

There's many things to appreciate about the film, angry TB people seem to take them for granted and overlook them.

They're fcousing on the negative.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 am

I dont hate Star Wars, but Im definitely not a SW Geek like some people I speak to in chats/boards. I dont really care about the legacy of it all too much. Id never camp out at a theater a month in advance to see one of the SW prequels. I also dont really think Lucas is a very outstanding dialogue writer or director. Hes great at creating stories, concepts and movie related technology but as far as making actual movies, hes pretty mediocre.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:38 am

i'll always love STAR WARS even though TPM and AOTC were steaming piles of shit. i really liked ROTS though. kinda loved it actaully...

but lets be honest here, the people who get it the worst are the Whedonites. seriously, go read the TBs. as psychotic as the so-called "browncoats" are / tend to be, the level of hatred spewed at anyone who likes Buffy/Angel or Firefly/Serenity is truly frightening... theres almost a pathological hatred there...

of course, anyone who screws with Tonay (or any of his various incarnations) is totally justified because, as Dino might say, "he's a the major putz, no?"
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:26 pm

HughJackmansColon wrote:Ha! Good article. But I still think Lucas in a money hungry wh0re who's writing capabilities are equivalent to that of a 10 year old.

So much for the Golden Age of the PZ . . .

Thus, the Republic falls with a round of applause.

So begins the dark times . . . so begins the Empire.

Time for me to go into hiding in the desert until the time of the Skywalker . . .
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Nicely said Burl. So nice in fact, I have nothing left to say.......
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:22 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Maybe its time we take a look at the things we write and consider what sets the PZ apart from Talkbacks. People here tend to defend their ideas with well rounded reasoning, unless they are just fucking around. Further, people here tend to recognize that there are various opinions that might be in conflict with out own. The only reason I bring this up is that there seems to be a suddenly inordinate amount of Star Wars hate popping up in these threads.

Good post, Burl. I actually love all three prequels, warts and all. And my reasoning is because everyone else is a homo f@ghead.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:41 pm

I never understood why fanboys get SO ANGRY about Star Wars.

They're movies. The new one's aren't that great, but whatever... Who gives a shit.

I never expected the second coming from the prequels, i just wanted them to entertain me. and to a certain extent, they did.

sure, they could have been better, and "greedo shoots first" is ALF, but why SO MUCH ANGER?

I understand that they were such an important part of every geeks childhood (mine included) but if i'm going to get angry about something, i'll get angry about something that actually matters.

Anyway... I've always wanted to say that, but could never say it in the TB's because i was afraid of the flame war.

The anonymity that the internet allows people is a bad thing, IMO. People would never get that angry in person.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Why so much anger? It's very simple really.

Star Wars fans the world over consider Lucas' work, to be works of art, "The Mona Lisa" of the movie world. To 'tinker' with it, is to deface history. Star Wars revolutionised the film industry and was the stepping stone of things to come. Something else that doesn't help the situation is that the Star Wars fan base has got a bigger population that most countries and continents in the world, so when you upset them you definatley know about it. Tell me....would anyone care if someone goes back and adjusts "The Highlander" series? and if they do....would there be the fuss? Of course not....
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:48 pm

CAN YOU TONE DOWN THE HOSTILITY, BULBITTL?!???!?12/1/

Just kidding. I am seeing more and more of the reactionary bullshit from talkbacks seeping into these threads. I am bothered.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:02 pm

That post wasn't directed at me as well was it Burl....? My post was fact!

...... Through and Through! :D
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby doglips on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Burl, I apologise for any fan-boyness I have posted today, I really did enjoy the prequels ( I still do it's all Star Wars, it's all good ).................
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:09 pm

No it wasn't directed at you. bulbittl is my pet name for Bluebottle.

BUT, I don't like the changes made to Star Wars for the most part, but honestly, it's just some movies. We all recognize that Lucas has been an asshole about that, but what is ranting about it people with the same view as you OVER AND OVER AND OVER going to accomplish? Nothing. So you get what I am saying? You should kill Lucas.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:09 pm

thedoglippedone wrote:Burl, I apologise for any fan-boyness I have posted today, I really did enjoy the prequels ( I still do it's all Star Wars, it's all good ).................

Dude, your AV is bad ass.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby doglips on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:12 pm

Thanks Burl I thought it better to show my true colours rather than a none committal glow in the dark porcelain eagle ( no really it was )
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:14 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:No it wasn't directed at you. bulbittl is my pet name for Bluebottle.

BUT, I don't like the changes made to Star Wars for the most part, but honestly, it's just some movies. We all recognize that Lucas has been an asshole about that, but what is ranting about it people with the same view as you OVER AND OVER AND OVER going to accomplish? Nothing. So you get what I am saying? You should kill Lucas.

Yuh. I get what your saying. Personally, as a fan of SW, the OT was brilliant the PT was not so, but fantastic all the same. When i watch a movie, I try and watch it for what it is, a movie..... and not try and make it into more than it is. But as a news reporter, I can't think like that. I have to be more.....militant?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:17 pm

Militant is fun as long as people recognize that others don't have to agree with everything they say. Atleast until my mind control powers are perfected, then fuck all of you.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Eric G on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Militant is fun as long as people recognize that others don't have to agree with everything they say.

I thought that went without saying when reading a news report? Or do you just mean "they" in general?
Eric G
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:36 pm

They in general.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:57 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:So you get what I am saying? You should kill Lucas.

HAHAHAHA1!!!

It's one of those, "shit or get off the pot" scenarios.

People who hate lucas, and claim that he "raped their childhood" should just go find him and yell at him, or whatever, instead of whining about it on the internet to anyone who will listen.

But we all know that no matter how mad a fanboy is, if he was given the chance to talk to Lucas, he would get down on his knees.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:02 am

As much as I bitch and whine about the prequels (and ROTJ) I will still most certainly be buying ROTS the day it comes out....FACT!
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby doglips on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:29 am

Yep, Wonka I'm with you, I love to pick fan-boy holes but at the end of the day I'll be watching the ROTS DVD 1 hour after it's release............damn you George!!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:37 am

There is no escape
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:18 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:I am seeing more and more of the reactionary bullshit from talkbacks seeping into these threads. I am bothered.

Your botherdness is unacceptable to me, Burly boy. You want me to do something about this? I've never check to see if I have some secret hidden founder powers or anything... I'm normally a pacifist but I'll take someone down if that's what you want. When it's crunch time, I'm the first to crack the walnut.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:22 am

No man. We gotta stay frosty.

MMmmmm Frosty.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:40 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:CAN YOU TONE DOWN THE HOSTILITY, BULBITTL?!???!?12/1/

Just kidding. I am seeing more and more of the reactionary bullshit from talkbacks seeping into these threads. I am bothered.

Amen to that.

About time somebody pointed that out.

Not that this will affect <i>anybody's</i> behavior, but I'll probably stop coming here if the threads start to resemble talkbacks.
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:41 am

Shit - I turned "Real Dragon" - -does that mean next stop is Grando? Becauser I was going to stop posting anyway after that momentous milestone
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:44 am

ThisIsTheGirl wrote:I'll probably stop coming here if the threads start to resemble talkbacks.

Come on folks, this isn't the apocalypse!!! We're fine, everything's fine! Let's keep cool with the solemn premonitions!!! Look, I'm happy! You're happy!!! Even he's happy!!! Yeah, I'm talking to you, the guy in the corner with the red boots. Yeah, well, you looked pretty happy from where I was standing! Yeah, right bak atchya, ya @$$... aw I can't f--kin' believe this, hey you come say that to my face buddy!!!! "Your mother's an animal you son of a bitch!"
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:45 am

DO you think Pacino is always having this dialogue with the guy with red boots in his head?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Eric G wrote:Why so much anger? It's very simple really.

Star Wars fans the world over consider Lucas' work, to be works of art, "The Mona Lisa" of the movie world. To 'tinker' with it, is to deface history.

I donna think this is a quite a the reason, eh? More likely, it's a that a the Star Wars movies, they give a the whole generation of a the geeks, nerds, anna losers who dinna fit inna to a the society, a reason for a the being, anna the common ground, eh? More than a the work of a the art, the films, they became a like a the religion to a these people...

It's a like walking uppa to a the Christian anna saying "there is a no God," eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bluebottle on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:10 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:It's a like walking uppa to a the Christian anna saying "there is a no God," eh?

It's more like if the new testament was full of fart jokes.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:29 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:It's a like walking uppa to a the Christian anna saying "there is a no God," eh?

IPAMPILASH!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby wonkabar on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Bluebottle wrote:

Yeah, when is "THE NEW TESTAMENT: Special Edition" comming out anyway?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:31 am

Judah shoots first my ass!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby wonkabar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:34 am

"Forgive them...they forgot to close the blast-door"
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:00 am

"Meesa the way, and the truth, and the life; none come-a to the Bombad, but by Meesa." - HAN 14:16

"Meesa no come to call the yousa righteous, but no-like-ed to repentance." - LUCAS 5:32
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby wonkabar on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:54 am

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:40 am

God: "Jesus, I am your father!"
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:41 am

Hehe Wonka... I like a the "HAN 14:16" anna the "LUCAS 5:32"

The touch, she was a nice, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:44 am

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo loooking forward to the new TV show. Bunch of secondary irrelevant characters who had nothing relativley to do with the real Star Wars story or plot. Who you know are gonna get killed by Vader anyway.

Once again, Lucas sidesteps the real story and gives us a load of old unnecesary cobblers.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:47 am

Yeah Lucas must fucking hate the period after Return of the Jedi.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:40 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:Yeah Lucas must fucking hate the period after Return of the Jedi.

But why? Doesn't he like the semi-canonical post ROTJ novels and comics about Han and Leia's children and the Skywalker/Organa/Solo family's flirting with the dark side? He (via some lackey) approved them, after all.

At this point, does anyone really believe Lucas's (long since denied) claim that he had nine movies plotted in advance?

Let me be honest here. I liked SW. TESB made me a SW lover. ROTJ had such promise and let me down so badly that I decided I didn't care if any of the other movies got made.

Still, when TPM came along, I saw it despite poor reviews. I was disappointed. More than anything, I was bored. I don't think Lucas should have written or directed. What talents he'd possessed seemed to have atrophied. As in ROTJ, BIG seemed to rule the day, whether live or digital. I decided that writing and directing a few movies in the 20-year gap might have kept Lucas sharper and made TPM better.

AOTC didn't bother me as much as TPM, though the acting continued to be a concern. Still lots of visual effects that seemed to dominate.

I passed on ROTS, though it received the best fan and mainstream reviews. I just don't feel any need to visit the characters any time soon. I'll catch it on DVD, eventually, when I've run through five or six dozen other items in my Netflix queue.

I don't think I'm a hater and don't want to come across that way. I am saddened that the fun of my teens disappointed me as an adult. Maybe I am just an old fart.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Alla kidding aside... George, he's a very thoughtful guy, eh? He's a kind of a like Johnny-Onna-the-Locke, I that respect, no?

Anna he give us a the George Lucas Educational Foundation, eh?

http://www.edutopia.org/

A very nice a thing to do... iffa you ask a the Dino.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:50 pm

Hmmm, I once brought up some good things your favorite band does and you reamed me out for it.

Dick!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Next

Return to Movie Discussion