The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Bloo wrote:
Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:



How on earth do those guys resist the urge to smash those creations?

I mean half the fun of building things with Legos is DESTROYING THEM after you've played with them for a little while. Right? Am I the only one who would create buildings and ships etc then throw them against the wall and step on them like Godzilla?



why am i not surprised a republican would get more thrills out of destroying than creating.....jeebus what a Struggling Background Artist :-P


we always rebuild them


well, that explains iraq.... :wink:
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Bloo wrote:
Peven wrote:
so sorry wrote:



How on earth do those guys resist the urge to smash those creations?

I mean half the fun of building things with Legos is DESTROYING THEM after you've played with them for a little while. Right? Am I the only one who would create buildings and ships etc then throw them against the wall and step on them like Godzilla?



why am i not surprised a republican would get more thrills out of destroying than creating.....jeebus what a Struggling Background Artist :-P


we always rebuild them


Only if they have fully paid insurance....
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: Red Letter Media’s ‘Phantom Menace’ Review

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:46 pm

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheWhorer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Watched the Star Wars prequel trilogy again over the last 2 days.... I noticed that Attack of the Clones requires the least amount of fast forwarding.... I don't know if that makes it the best movie, but it seemed to flow better than I recall.... I don't think it has the quality set pieces of Revenge, but it sure seemed to work the best of the 3 movies ..... what say you?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
User avatar
TheWhorer
GLIB
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:51 pm

I say you are going to lonely with that position :lol:

I think AOTC is probably the least liked of all 6 SW movies........though there are always exceptions :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14156
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I actually think ATTACK OF THE CLONES is okay. It's definately my favorite of the prequels. I agree that it flows the best. And I actually think it succeeds in beating the things that usually make prequels suck: knowing where the story is going, the feeling of watching the expository moments of another film padded out into their own film. AOTC has enough of its own story and I think it's good at showing the roots of the things in the original trilogy without making them the point of the movie the way SITH REVENGE did.

I realize it's funny to call the movie restrained, but in the context of the SW prequels it is. I prefer just hearing young Vader talk casually on how he thinks facism would work better and just seeing him get one robot arm instead of following these things right up to his big transition.
Image
User avatar
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock
 
Posts: 7396
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 am
Location: ????

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheWhorer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 am

Peven wrote:I say you are going to lonely with that position :lol:

I think AOTC is probably the least liked of all 6 SW movies........though there are always exceptions :wink:



Hmmm really? Phantom Menace just kills me with all the Jar Jar and the kid "actor".... The pod race is cool, Liam Neeson is a badass and the duel of the fates is great! But the movie just is ,IMO, cheesy.... Too much time spent on Tatooine, too much time spent listening to the kid say anything.... Not enough Darth Maul development....

When I initially saw Revenge of the Sith I thought it was better than Jedi.... Now , not so much. I think too much stuff happens in it doesn't make any sense at all..... Now I know the love scene goo goo talk in AOTC is just ALF, but IMO, the rest of the movie holds up pretty well.... Jeez , if Lucas had just hired a real writer to flesh out the screenplays and real directors to make them... They could've been great.... ahh well...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
User avatar
TheWhorer
GLIB
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 pm

AOTC vs TPM? hmmm...

AOTC has natalie portman in sexy naboo outfits and a midriff-baring wilma deering outfit. TPM has natalie portman in a kabuki costume. advantage: AOTC
AOTC has long-haired, dashing jedi knight obi-wan kenobi. TPM has dull, bland, boring, short-haired jedi padawan obi-wan kenobi. advantage: AOTC
TPM has darth maul (for about 10 minutes). AOTC has boba fett's daddy (for about 5 minutes). advantage: TPM
AOTC has "you are in my very soul, tormenting me". TPM has "weesa going home! wheeeee!". advantage: none
AOTC has a chase over courscant. TPM has a pod race. advantage: TPM
TPM has CGI yoda. AOTC has improved CGI yoda. advantage: AOTC
AOTC has a cheesy romantic subplot. TPM has a boring political trade and taxation storyline. advantage: none
AOTC ends with a pretty awesome clone trooper battle. TPM ends with a ridiculous gungan battle and anakin accidentally blowing up a droid control ship. advantage: AOTC

TPM has jar-jar binks. AOTC has a lot less jar-jar binks. verdict: AOTC wins by technical knockout
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Obi-Wan was hardly dashing in CLONES. Also his beard looks fake.

And Yoda was not CGI in THE PHANTOM MENACE. He was Martin Balsam.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9779
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:22 pm

for me both TPM and AOTC are pretty forgettable...except for the Darth Maul showdown at the end of TPM, which is its one real redeeming quality and puts it above AOTC in my rankings. it has been quite a while since i saw AOTC but i remember being really irritated with it be the time the credits rolled and as i walked out of the theatre was telling my kids that i wasn't going to pay to see the third movie in the pre-trilogy. i went back on that and took them to see ROTS and actually thought it was better than ROTJ and rate it heads above the first two prequels.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14156
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Obi-Wan was hardly dashing in CLONES. Also his beard looks fake.

And Yoda was not CGI in THE PHANTOM MENACE. He was Martin Balsam.


well, dashing by lucas standards, at least. i guess he was a bit more dashing in ROTS, but never really as dashing as he should have been.

by the way.... what does "dashing" mean?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Obi-Wan was hardly dashing in CLONES. Also his beard looks fake.

And Yoda was not CGI in THE PHANTOM MENACE. He was Martin Balsam.


well, dashing by lucas standards, at least. i guess he was a bit more dashing in ROTS, but never really as dashing as he should have been.

by the way.... what does "dashing" mean?


I thought it meant trying to be kinetically masculine in order to divert any speculation of one's true sexual orientation......
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14156
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

I may prefer TPM overall because it was shot on film and doesn't look like fucking garbage. The films just got sloppier as they went on and the love story was fucking atrocious. I think SITH is the worst of the three, easily. I was thirteen when I saw PHANTOM MENACE and even then I thought Jar-Jar was too much. I was dumb enough at sixteen to think CLONES was pretty awesome. By the time the third film came out I really couldn't find much to like. Ian McDiarmid was good until his face melted and he yelled "POWWWWAHHHH! UNNNNLIIIIMITEHD.... POWWWAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!" It was at that point that I pretty much accepted that this movie was fucking dog shit.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9779
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote: I think SITH is the worst of the three, easily.


Elaborate more, please.

Taken from a certain point of view in what the movies' objections and what job they had to fulfil, TPM is the best film possibly. Again, from what their goals were and Lucas' intentions were.

1. TPM was a kids movie.
2. AOTC was a love story.
3. SITH Was a 'dark' story of a man's fall of grace and rise of an Evil Ruling over the universe. The Devil rises and walks the galaxy if you will.

3. SITH didn't scare me! It didn't move me much, it didn't full me with meloncholy. The drama or feeling of 'depression' or horror that we had years of expectation to get, we didn't get. It's still a rather 2 dimensional advanced animated film at the end of the day. Not enough human injection to really make it the dark, disturbing opera that we wanted. The film was great. But not the best film of all time (exaggerating to make a point) that we were hoping for.

2. AOTC just failed in nearly every way in making a moving, gripping love story. AND START THE CLONE WARS ALREADY!! Again, years of expectations foiled.

(Disclaimer. Expectations or not the 2 films weren't what they could have been.)

1. TPM. For all it's failings and boring bits, as a kid's movie, it fulfills the needs of what a kid's film should be. It does have the innocence and certain 'charm' to it. Jar Jar for all his annoyances, is still an endearing harmless character that does brighten the screen up (he's irritating but more colourful than the 2 dull Jedis he 'distracts' us from), and there IS a certain entertainment value that he brings. And yes, the KIDS DO LOVE HIM. It's a kids film still, not for us cynical adults. And yeah it does bring the colour an playfulness in it's heart that we want for a kids film.

It might bore the shite out of us adults, but again, for what the demands are for a kids film, whether or not you ARE a kid or an adult, it FULFILLS its job more than the love story attempt of AOTC (This is Lucas' Titanic!" Natalie Portman said) and dark horror approach of ROTS ("You'll cry at the end" Steven Spielberg said. Yeah mate, and you wore a Lethal 3 cap when that shite film came out, so wudda YOU know?! And no, we didn't cry.)
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16467
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 pm

let's face it, trying to choose which of the 3 prequels you like best is kind of like choosing which of the 3 ugly girls at school to take to the prom. i like ROTS the best because it at least has some decent action scenes and finally tells the story that all 3 films together should have told, about anakin's fall. and there's a lot less horseshit like the romantic sublplot (basically forgotten since they're barely together in the film) and jar-jar. so i like it best for those reasons. but it's still a really, really ugly chick.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby so sorry on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

TheBaxter wrote:let's face it, trying to choose which of the 3 prequels you like best is kind of like choosing which of the 3 ugly girls at school to take to the prom. i like ROTS the best because it at least has some decent action scenes and finally tells the story that all 3 films together should have told, about anakin's fall. and there's a lot less horseshit like the romantic sublplot (basically forgotten since they're barely together in the film) and jar-jar. so i like it best for those reasons. but it's still a really, really ugly chick.



But at the end of the night, you're a little bit drunk from the spiked punch, you have those condoms you bought at the drum store, so what the hey, you might as well get laid.

Uh, what where we talking about????
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: What have you been watching? (DVD or Films on TV)

Postby The Vicar on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Sounds like you were reading Kirk's diary......
.
........................................
Image
User avatar
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone
 
Posts: 16179
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:21 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 pm

'Star Wars' Had Record Toy Revenue for a Non-Movie Year in 2010
Georg Szalai wrote:NEW YORK - Lucasfilm's Star Wars franchise had its highest toy revenue ever for a non-movie year in 2010 and the best toy revenue since Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

With sales of more than $510 million last year, Star Wars also maintained its position as the bestselling boys toy license in the U.S. for the third consecutive year, according to Lucasfilm and research firm NPD Group.

The popularity of animated TV series Clone Wars on Cartoon Network has helped keep the saga in media play, and toy lines from Hasbro and Lego have helped keep long-time and new fans spending.

Lucasfilm said the brisk sales of toys are also being reflected in demand for licensed products in such categories as publishing, apparel, consumer electronics and housewares. It didn’t disclose revenue for all merchandise categories.

Among last year’s merchandise successes is the Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary from DK Publishing, which has spent 56 weeks on top of the New York Times Children's Picture Book Bestseller List.

“Around the office, our mantra is that Star Wars is forever, and we continue to see that this is true for our loyal fans,” said Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing. “We’ve got a great series on the air, and a whole slate of great products that provide ongoing connection points for our audience. When the canvas is an entire galaxy, there is always more to explore.”

This year, the sci-fi evergreen will see the release of Star Wars: The Complete Saga on high-definition Blu-ray, a relaunched Star Tours ride at Walt Disney theme parks, a new Hasbro take on the lightsaber and video games, such as Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

All this will lead up to the return of Star Wars to theaters in 2012 with the 3D release of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace.
Last edited by TheButcher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage


Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 am

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:32 pm

From Heat Vision:
Comic-Con 2011: 'Star Wars' Fans Get First Look at Deleted Scenes (Video)
Star Wars: Deleted Scenes
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Those clips are very cool-looking. I'm excited to see that sandstorm stuff. And was that a different Mon Calimari than Ackbar?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Here is my blog on the TOP TEN REASONS RETURN OF THE JEDI SUCKS ASS

http://peterjohnross.com/modules/news/a ... toryid=292
User avatar
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Hollywood, Ohio USA

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Fievel on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 am

sonnyboo wrote:Here is my blog on the TOP TEN REASONS RETURN OF THE JEDI SUCKS ASS

http://peterjohnross.com/modules/news/a ... toryid=292


That was a good read and I agree with everything you wrote. I've never read any early drafts so there were a few bombshells for me there.
Vader is a complete tool that entire film. When Luke surrenders and is alone with Vader, what is one of Vader's first reactions to the likely only remaining Jedi? "Cool new lightsaber, bro... errr, son! Let me check that out!" Vader's previously unknown remaining goodness is completely ridiculous, and the prequels made that a billion times worse.

But I still love the films. Sigh.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:25 am

TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 am

TheBaxter wrote:TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image



I think when Quint posted that picture in the Picture of the Day column a month or so ago there was a comment saying that they were apparently passing a joint between them at the time. Not sure if it was a confirmed comment, or some TBer bullshit, but I thought it added to the coolness of that shot.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image



I think when Quint posted that picture in the Picture of the Day column a month or so ago there was a comment saying that they were apparently passing a joint between them at the time. Not sure if it was a confirmed comment, or some TBer bullshit, but I thought it added to the coolness of that shot.


even cooler would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Peven on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:55 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image



I think when Quint posted that picture in the Picture of the Day column a month or so ago there was a comment saying that they were apparently passing a joint between them at the time. Not sure if it was a confirmed comment, or some TBer bullshit, but I thought it added to the coolness of that shot.


even cooler would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other.


and even cooler still would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other..and me
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14156
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image



I think when Quint posted that picture in the Picture of the Day column a month or so ago there was a comment saying that they were apparently passing a joint between them at the time. Not sure if it was a confirmed comment, or some TBer bullshit, but I thought it added to the coolness of that shot.


even cooler would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other.


and even cooler still would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other..and me


i would've said that too, except it would've meant they were pedophiles.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18583
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Peven on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:43 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:TOP BAXTER REASON I HATE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

lucas won't stop fucking with it.



TOP BAXTER REASON I LOVE RETURN OF THE JEDI:

Image



I think when Quint posted that picture in the Picture of the Day column a month or so ago there was a comment saying that they were apparently passing a joint between them at the time. Not sure if it was a confirmed comment, or some TBer bullshit, but I thought it added to the coolness of that shot.


even cooler would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other.


and even cooler still would be if they were doing that right after having sex with each other..and me


i would've said that too, except it would've meant they were pedophiles.


I was 15 at the time, so it just makes them charitable
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 14156
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

The STAR WARS Prequels

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 1:40 am

Read George Lucas' Original Plan For The STAR WARS Prequels Back In 1981
“Well, anyway, Luke’s father gets subverted by the Emperor. He gets a little weird at home and his wife begins to figure out that things are going wrong and she confides in Ben, who is his mentor. On his missions through the galaxies, Anakin has been going off doing his Jedi thing and a lot of Jedi have been getting killed—and it’s because they turn their back on him and he cuts them down. The president is turning into an Emperor and Luke’s mother suspects that something has happened to her husband. She is pregnant. Anakin gets worse and worse, and finally Ben has to fight him and he throws him down into a volcano and Vader is all beat up.

Now, when he falls into the pit, his other arm goes and his leg and there is hardly anything left of him by the time the Emperor’s troops fish him out of the drink. Then when Ben finds out that Vader has been fished out and is in the hands of the Empire, he is worried about it. He goes back to Vader’s wife and explains that Anakin is the bad guy, the one killing all the Jedi.

When he goes back his wife, Mrs. Skywalker has had the kids, the twins, so she has these two little babies who are six months old or so. So everybody has to go into hiding. The Skywalker line is very strong with the Force, so Ben says, ‘I think we should protect the kids, because they may be able to help us right the wrong that your husband has created in the universe.’ And so Ben takes one and gives him to a couple out there on Tatooine and he gets his little hideout in the hills and he watches him grow. Ben can’t raise Luke himself, because he’s a wanted man. Leia and Luke’s mother go to Alderaan and are taken in by the king there, who is a friend of Ben’s. She dies shortly thereafter and Leia is brought up by her foster parents. She knows that her real mother died.”
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Return of the Jedi

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 24, 2013 1:41 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby so sorry on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm

The REAL Jedi Council

Steve: So John, what do you do for a living?

John: Well Steve, its my job to make sure that Jib Jab the Ewok's outfit from the Star Wars lego toys is within canon to the new Complete Star Wars Universe. How's about you?

Steve: Oh... I sell toilet paper to restaurants.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:03 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:48 am

Leigh Brackett's Planetary Romances
Andrew Liptak wrote:In the Golden Age of science fiction, male authors far outnumbered their female counterparts. C.L. Moore was a notable break from the largely male-dominated field, but she wasn’t the only one to put fantastic tales to paper. Another notable author of the day was Leigh Brackett, who had begun writing during the early days of the Golden Age of SF before gaining prominence as a novelist and screenwriter in Hollywood, with several notable films to her credit: The Long Goodbye, The Big Sleep and Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm

Leigh Brackett had shit all to do with TESB. It's all Kasdan and Kershner hammering it out (under Lucas' guidance, of course).
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 08, 2014 7:37 pm

Star Wars Storyboards: The Original Trilogy
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Every Human in Star Wars is Really a Humanoid Bee -

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/every- ... manoid-bee
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13911
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby so sorry on Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:46 pm



The original Millenium Falcon looked like...
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:04 pm

I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie in years, so I have been patiently waiting for those digital editions to be released. I am super excited to watch Star Wars again. The only other copy I own are the OT on VHS.
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby DerLanghaarige on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Are there any numbers out about how well those digital copies have been sold?
Image
User avatar
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt
 
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: Germany

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:Are there any numbers out about how well those digital copies have been sold?


I can personally confirm that 1 copy of each of the six movies has been sold. :oops:
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Are there any numbers out about how well those digital copies have been sold?


I can personally confirm that 1 copy of each of the six movies has been sold. :oops:


User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13567
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:Are there any numbers out about how well those digital copies have been sold?


I can personally confirm that 1 copy of each of the six movies has been sold. :oops:




That pretty much sums up how I felt each time I clicked "purchase" when they asked me "Are you sure you want to buy this?"
Image
User avatar
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 11031
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Fievel on Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 am

Pretty neat little documentary on the deleted Biggs Darklighter scene from the original Star Wars film - https://vimeo.com/126754777

It got me thinking - this was a horrible omission from the film. Why? Because in my opinion, it showed even more why Luke NEEDED to get off the planet and start his journey. He was such an aloof kid. He was stricken with absolute hero worship of his best friend Biggs. His other "friends" don't really seem to like him, and are only there to hang with Biggs. The whole "I'm being quiet, look how quiet I am" bit is possibly the funniest part of the entire OT to me - again, because it show "the kid" version of Luke who is completely awestruck in the presence of his friend. The scene in its execution is clumsy (mostly the dialogue/performance from the other people) but had it been polished, it could have been a useful addition to the film - and in Luke's character growth.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue May 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Fievel wrote:Pretty neat little documentary on the deleted Biggs Darklighter scene from the original Star Wars film - https://vimeo.com/126754777

It got me thinking - this was a horrible omission from the film. Why? Because in my opinion, it showed even more why Luke NEEDED to get off the planet and start his journey. He was such an aloof kid. He was stricken with absolute hero worship of his best friend Biggs. His other "friends" don't really seem to like him, and are only there to hang with Biggs. The whole "I'm being quiet, look how quiet I am" bit is possibly the funniest part of the entire OT to me - again, because it show "the kid" version of Luke who is completely awestruck in the presence of his friend. The scene in its execution is clumsy (mostly the dialogue/performance from the other people) but had it been polished, it could have been a useful addition to the film - and in Luke's character growth.


I meant to comment on this the other day, but I wanted to say that this is cool and worth watching. And I agree with your comments completely.

On another note, this is kinda fun. It's an audience recording (audio, on what sounds like a kid's tape recorder) of a screening of ANH back in 1977. There's a lot of garble and the audio is horrible, and I'll admit I kinda skipped through it (will listen to the whole thing later) but it's worth a listen for a minute or so starting at the 2:30 mark. The cheers when the Falcon swoops in and the explosion of the death star (keeping in mind that audiences tended to be a bit more reserved back then) are fun and make me wish I could watch it for the first time all over again.

http://nerdist.com/audience-reaction-star-wars-1977-audio/
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17641
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby Fievel on Wed May 13, 2015 3:27 am

Goosebumps.
Very cool, indeed.

I'm in the early stages of building a home theater in my basement. Star Wars will be the first film seen.
The new movie has me so unbelievably high on Star Wars right now. My 8 year old self would look at me and say "Dude.... chill the fuck out!"
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11942
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby so sorry on Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Fievel wrote:Pretty neat little documentary on the deleted Biggs Darklighter scene from the original Star Wars film - https://vimeo.com/126754777

It got me thinking - this was a horrible omission from the film. Why? Because in my opinion, it showed even more why Luke NEEDED to get off the planet and start his journey. He was such an aloof kid. He was stricken with absolute hero worship of his best friend Biggs. His other "friends" don't really seem to like him, and are only there to hang with Biggs. The whole "I'm being quiet, look how quiet I am" bit is possibly the funniest part of the entire OT to me - again, because it show "the kid" version of Luke who is completely awestruck in the presence of his friend. The scene in its execution is clumsy (mostly the dialogue/performance from the other people) but had it been polished, it could have been a useful addition to the film - and in Luke's character growth.


I meant to comment on this the other day, but I wanted to say that this is cool and worth watching. And I agree with your comments completely.

On another note, this is kinda fun. It's an audience recording (audio, on what sounds like a kid's tape recorder) of a screening of ANH back in 1977. There's a lot of garble and the audio is horrible, and I'll admit I kinda skipped through it (will listen to the whole thing later) but it's worth a listen for a minute or so starting at the 2:30 mark. The cheers when the Falcon swoops in and the explosion of the death star (keeping in mind that audiences tended to be a bit more reserved back then) are fun and make me wish I could watch it for the first time all over again.

http://nerdist.com/audience-reaction-star-wars-1977-audio/


Last week I watched some footage of various actors and actresses trying out for Luke/Han/Leia. They were reading the script to each other (Harrison Ford did a lot of the read thrus with others), and it was the part where the Falcon comes out of hyperspace into the debris field of Alderan. Anyway, I wonder what it must have been like for these guys to be reading sci-fi space jargon, all serious like. For the most part, sci fi films up to that point were B grade schlocky flicks (2001 being the notable exception). Did they think this was so beneath them as trained actors? Did they think "what the fuck has my life come to that I'm reading this shit?".
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 am

Toshiro Mifune Turned Down Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader Roles, Says Daughter
The legendary leading man of Akira Kurosawa turned down offers from George Lucas, said his daughter at an event with Steve Wozniak to announce Tokyo Comic Con.
Gavin J. Blair wrote:Toshiro Mifune, the legendary actor and star of numerous Akira Kurosawa films including Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Rashomon, turned down the roles of Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader, worried that Star Wars was going to look cheap, according to his daughter Mika.

Mifune junior related the story at an event in Tokyo on Friday with Steven Wozniak to announce the first Tokyo Comic Con.

"I heard from my father that he was offered the role of Obi Wan Kenobi, but he was concerned about how the film would look and that it would cheapen the image of samurai, on which George Lucas had based a lot of the character and fighting style," said Mifune.

Lucas has made no secret of the influence of Japanese cinema, and Kurosawa in particular, on his filmmaking, and was very keen to have Mifune a part of Star Wars, according to his daughter.

The story of the original Star Wars film was partly based on Kurosawa's 1958 classic The Hidden Fortress, which starred Mifune.
"At the time, sci-fi movies still looked quite cheap as the effects were not advanced and he had a lot of samurai pride. So then, there was talk about him taking the Darth Vader role as his face would be covered, but in the end he turned that down too," recalled Mifune.
"If it was today, it could have solved all his worries with special effects and technology," chimed in Wozniak.

Ian McDiarmid, who played Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars series, and Ray Park who played Darth Maul, joined the group on stage and talked about their respect for Mifune senior and other elements of Japanese cinema and culture.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17391
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: The Great STAR WARS Discussion Thread

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:51 am

TheButcher wrote:Toshiro Mifune Turned Down Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader Roles, Says Daughter
The legendary leading man of Akira Kurosawa turned down offers from George Lucas, said his daughter at an event with Steve Wozniak to announce Tokyo Comic Con.
Gavin J. Blair wrote:Toshiro Mifune, the legendary actor and star of numerous Akira Kurosawa films including Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Rashomon, turned down the roles of Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader, worried that Star Wars was going to look cheap, according to his daughter Mika.

Mifune junior related the story at an event in Tokyo on Friday with Steven Wozniak to announce the first Tokyo Comic Con.

"I heard from my father that he was offered the role of Obi Wan Kenobi, but he was concerned about how the film would look and that it would cheapen the image of samurai, on which George Lucas had based a lot of the character and fighting style," said Mifune.

Lucas has made no secret of the influence of Japanese cinema, and Kurosawa in particular, on his filmmaking, and was very keen to have Mifune a part of Star Wars, according to his daughter.

The story of the original Star Wars film was partly based on Kurosawa's 1958 classic The Hidden Fortress, which starred Mifune.
"At the time, sci-fi movies still looked quite cheap as the effects were not advanced and he had a lot of samurai pride. So then, there was talk about him taking the Darth Vader role as his face would be covered, but in the end he turned that down too," recalled Mifune.
"If it was today, it could have solved all his worries with special effects and technology," chimed in Wozniak.

Ian McDiarmid, who played Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars series, and Ray Park who played Darth Maul, joined the group on stage and talked about their respect for Mifune senior and other elements of Japanese cinema and culture.


Sidenote: the producer for the Karate Kid wanted Mifune to play Mr Miyagi. Someone ultimately convinced him (via an early screen test) that Pat Morita would be better for the role.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15221
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

cron