The Matrix Trilogy: Revisited

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

How do you feel about The Matrix?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Best/Most Important SciFi of the 90s
23%
Important SciFi of the 90s
63%
Just another movie
8%
Below average film with above average effects
3%
One of the worst movies of the 90s
3%

Total votes : 64

The Matrix Trilogy: Revisited

Postby BobGobbler on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:46 pm

What does everyone think about this movie now that it has had time to breathe?

Ignore the sequels and just address the first movie. How important was/is it?

I just re-watched it recently and I think it remains influential and is still a pretty damn cool movie.
Peter Jackson is overrated.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:50 pm

I still enjoy the first movie considerably but I try to ignore the existence of the sequels. I think Keanu was perfect for that deer in the headlights sorta story wherein he and the audience don't know what's going on. Once everything was laid out in the sequels he didn't really work (for me) as The One....
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BobGobbler on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:I still enjoy the first movie considerably but I try to ignore the existence of the sequels. I think Keanu was perfect for that deer in the headlights sorta story wherein he and the audience don't know what's going on. Once everything was laid out in the sequels he didn't really work (for me) as The One....

That scene where he says "No" and stops the bullets is one of the best scenes in movie history. I'm one of the few that resisted the sequels, fortunately.
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:56 pm

I also revisted the original recently. I still enjoy it quite a bit. I find myself asking where the hell did the sequels come from???

I don't know that it is the most important Sci-Fi of the 90's, but it is an important film. It showed that an original "Genre Film" can be successful. We haven't seen too many "original" movies made as a result, unfortunately, but it does give one hope.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Pudie on Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Great movie and imporatant from an innovation stand point. But the acting still isn't that great and the ending with Trinity telling Neo she loved him still sucks.
Pudie
MAN IN SUIT

Postby The Garbage Man on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:02 pm

CthulhuKid wrote:I also revisted the original recently. I still enjoy it quite a bit. I find myself asking where the hell did the sequels come from???

A better question might be, where did the first Matrix come from?
The answer: not just the Wachowskis.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:05 pm

Good Point!

What does that say for V...?
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:07 pm

The Garbage Man wrote:
CthulhuKid wrote:I also revisted the original recently. I still enjoy it quite a bit. I find myself asking where the hell did the sequels come from???

True dat.

The biggest problem with the sequels is that they weren't challenged about anything. The story goes that they turned in the scripts for two and three and they NEVER ONCE went through any revisions. That is simply unheard of in studio filmmaking.

The boys got to indulge themselves a bit too much and ultimately created some very pretty gobbledygook for two and three. There's some really good stuff in there, but overall they're a bit confused.

The first one is still a brilliant stand-alone.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Neo Zeed on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:25 pm

It's still one of favorite flicks. It's pretty important in terms of defining the look of action movies to date (moreso than sci-fi, I think) It was was like the movie John Woo always whined that he couldn't get made...However, I do think it's imitators are of poor quality..it's like while the Wachoski's looked at John Woo, anime, and kung-fu flicks for inspiration, it seems other directors just look at ..well...The Matrix.

I do think the score could have been more badass though..Maybe either Graeme Revell or Eric Serra. Don Davis sounded like he was scoring the next Superman movie, instead of a cyberpunk action flick, IMO..
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Bob, I wish I could ignore the sequels, but since that is impossible to me, I have to say that Matrix is one of the better sci-fi efforts. It's totally marred by two LAME follow-ups.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby HeadlessCrane on Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm

The Matrix sequels suffered from one thing and one thing only: the fact that they were merely setups for the matrix games. Unfortunately, the games sucked. I have played the Matrix Online during beta and it was full of potential, but it wasn't enough to get me to play for real once released. It's sad too. After playing the beta for the Matrix Online, I completely understand why they made the movie sequels the way they did. They were always planning to continue the story in the Matrix Online in what could have been an incredibly innovative leap forward in gaming. But, the hitch would have been that the Matrix Online wouldn't work with the specific matrix story from the first movie. They had to basically restart the matrix to get the game to work.
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Coincidentally, I bought the Matrix Ultimate set today in the sales.

If someone could re-edit and combine Reloaded and Revolutions into a 2-3 hour film, I think it could be class.

The Matrix is one of the most important films of the nineties. I remember the day I saw it - I'd seen no trailers or read any reviews or synopses. Took a chance and it blew me away.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:06 pm

Tony Wilson has discussed, in detail, exactly how the sequels line up with the original, and he's a smarter man than I, because to me the sequels seemed like utter nonsense.

Why were there four matrices and Zions before Keanu's? How did the pioneer/forunner escape from the matrix? How the heck did he manage to build a city deep into the earth's mantle? The only answer is that the machines wanted it and helped. If that's the case, I'm more lost than ever.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:17 pm

DennisMM wrote:Why were there four matrices and Zions before Keanu's? How did the pioneer/forunner escape from the matrix? How the heck did he manage to build a city deep into the earth's mantle? The only answer is that the machines wanted it and helped. If that's the case, I'm more lost than ever.

Now I may be wrong, its been awhile since I've seen the flicks, but I think that answer actually is the case. As I understood it, the programming to fool the humans isn't flawless, and .001% of the population would always reject it. So the "One" and Zion were created by the machines as a way to keep that .001% in check, and as time would pass, when the population of Zion would get too large, they would basically wipe it out and "reset."

And agree with most everyone on the first movie, whatever you may think of the sequels that first flick is still a blast and full of a lot of great stuff. Also, I was hugely dissapointed by Reloaded when I saw it, loved the first film, thought there were some great Animatrix pieces, and really had a lot of faith that this was going to be a fantastic trilogy, and was just completely let down. Though I did come around to mildly enjoy Revolutions. But I caught them on DVD sometime after Revolutions came out, and just for whatever reason decided to watch them, I don't know if it was cause of lowered expectations, or watching them back to back, but I will say I did enjoy them quite a bit more than when I caught them in the theater (though that burly brawl in Reloaded still pained me, there just needs to be a ten year moratorium on CGI humans).
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Neo Zeed on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:45 pm

I didn't know why Agent Smith had to come back. Especially as the main villian. I would have liked a new big bad, to keep things fresh. And what happened to the awesome gun fights?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Shane on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:54 pm

Matrix was great, sequals were forgettable.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:56 pm

I think The Matrix is important for a lot of reasons: because it represents a fusion of previously underutilized genres, because it had the balls to ask some pretty disconcerting questions about our society, because it re-legitimized the R-rated action movie, because of its innovative special effects and action sequences. Most important movie of the '90s? I don't know. Probably not. But it's up there. 1999 was a watershed year for American movies.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:10 pm

I was never a big fan of The Matrix series, but the first film did an outstanding job of bringing the feel of cyberpunk style anime to the screen in a live action context. For that, it deserves an honorable mention at least. It may not have blown my mind (having been a long time fan of anime and cyberpunk / william gibson type stuff), but I have to admit it was a sucessful movie on all counts...

even if it really was just a snazzier 90s dystopian remake of TRON.
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 pm

The problem I have with that plot point of the machines creating Zion is why go through the trouble?
The movie states a small percentage of people will reject the Matrix. So the machines, who rely on humans (and fusion) as a power source, decide that it is in their best interest to unhook some of these potential batteries and to then allow them to congregate in a massive underground complex (not to mention the humans habit of removing more and more people from the Matrix). The machines, one must assume, constructed the complex originally. Then every so often the machines must go destroy the complex. Doesn't this seem like a massive waste of resources ie energy on the part of the machines who are already extremely dependent upon the Matrix for energy? Why not just kill a human when it becomes obvious they "reject" the Matrix program...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Could be simple as the machines can't make that kind of detection on their own, they need a human "filter," so to speak, to draw those people out for them. That's just conjencture on my part though.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:36 pm

That is why the multiple matrices and Zions never made sense to me, Kaga, and why I thought Neo was being bullshitted when he was told about the cycle.

My larger problem is that Smith eventually takes over the Matrix. Why? In the first film he said he wanted OUT, that he was sick of being an errand boy and having to deal with organics. I hardly think becoming the Matrix is the same thing.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Lupe on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:52 pm

ahhhhh BULLSHIT!
I saw this was called "Matrix revisited" and readit matrix - reloaded. The original film was awesome. loved it and then I go and vote for "Below average film with above average effects"

Awesome movie.
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Postby BobGobbler on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Lupe wrote:ahhhhh BULLSHIT!
I saw this was called "Matrix revisited" and readit matrix - reloaded. The original film was awesome. loved it and then I go and vote for "Below average film with above average effects"

Awesome movie.

Way to ruin the curve ;)
BobGobbler
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Belac on Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:56 pm

The Matrix Reloaded is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated films of all time. This thread is proof alone.
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Lupe on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:01 pm

and your post is, without a doubt, one of the most completely and utterly wrong of all time.Every sane synapse in the known world is proof alone.
Last edited by Lupe on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lupe
REAL DRAGON

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Belac wrote:The Matrix Reloaded is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated films of all time. This thread is proof alone.

Seriously, what he fuck, dont give in to the urge to say ANYTHING just cos ur glib.....jesus man
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Belac on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Damn, you're both right! Your witty, fact-filled posts have made me see the light!
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby colonel_lugz on Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:58 pm

WOW!.....didnt expect that to actually work!!
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:07 pm

I only gotta the one thing to say about a the sequels, eh?

That Mouse putz screaming "NOOOOOOOO!" anna getting inna to a the General Mifune's battlesuit or whatever was a the best scene inna any action movie ever, eh? Anna that includes a my Kong...

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! Who am I trying to kid, eh? That scene, she sucked... as did a the sequels.

I loved a the first one, though... ZombieZone, he hit a the nail onna the head, no?

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:the first film did an outstanding job of bringing the feel of cyberpunk style anime to the screen in a live action context.

I could a not agree a with a you more, eh paisan?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:50 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I only gotta the one thing to say about a the sequels, eh?

That Mouse putz screaming "NOOOOOOOO!" anna getting inna to a the General Mifune's battlesuit or whatever was a the best scene inna any action movie ever, eh? Anna that includes a my Kong...

BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! Who am I trying to kid, eh? That scene, she sucked... as did a the sequels.

I loved a the first one, though... ZombieZone, he hit a the nail onna the head, no?

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:the first film did an outstanding job of bringing the feel of cyberpunk style anime to the screen in a live action context.

I could a not agree a with a you more, eh paisan?

hey, "great minds," right Dino? even if mine is half decomposed!

a decent antidote to the disappointing sequels is the Animatrix DVD. there was some really cool stuff on that; stuff that had me excited for the sequels... then it all fell apart... too bad...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:37 am

This is just something I heard from my sister. She says that the original Matrix was written by some lady and the Wachowskis payed her for it, but didn't put her name in the credits. So when the sequels were rushed away, she refused to write anything more for them and they had to do the last 2 on their own. I dunno if any of you have heard of this or can look it up.

I was never really that into the Matrix. I liked it, but I like Dark City a whole lot more. I can't complain about the special effect, because they were great, but that doesn't make a great movie.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:47 am

Retardo_Montalban wrote:This is just something I heard from my sister. She says that the original Matrix was written by some lady and the Wachowskis payed her for it, but didn't put her name in the credits. So when the sequels were rushed away, she refused to write anything more for them and they had to do the last 2 on their own. I dunno if any of you have heard of this or can look it up.

That's actually what I was alluding to in my post above. Basically, the Wachowskis stole her story for the original Matrix. She sued them and won about a year or two ago.

The case and its verdict weren't well-publicized for reasons better left explained by more conspiracy-inclined minds than my own.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 am

I read about that....Her story that they took elements from was called something like The Third Eye...
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:45 am

that story about the woman who wrote the Matrix seems plausible to me, since the fundamental flaw of the sequels is that they are tacked on a story which was already complete with the original Matrix movie, imo.

as a stand alone movie, the Matrix is pretty sweet, and has a satisfying ENDING. when the credits roll, thats it, story over, but the W bros couldn't resist milking the success of the Matrix and tried to tack on the sequels, but the first wasn't made to be a first act, part one, of a trilogy, so inevitable plot holes and contradictions were spread throughout the sequels trying to drive a story that was already over at the end of the first movie. lets hope they don't try the same thing with V for Vendetta.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:52 am

Uh, Sophia Stewart didn't win jack. So it has not been established that her case is valid.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Garbage Man on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:59 am

Interesting, especially since the story was picked up by reputable papers.
Dammit, if I can't trust The Salt Lake Community College Globe, who can I trust?

The point remains, however, that the Brothers didn't write The Matrix in a vacuum, as they effectively did for the sequels.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:14 am

So, lemme ask yez this, then...

What sci-fi movie was MORE important to the genre in the 90's than The Matrix?

Whaddya gonna say? The Star Wars prequels? All three put together were not as vital as The Matrix. The question doesn't say anything about Reloaded or Revelations...which, technically, weren't released in the 90's anyway.

I'll MAYBE give ya Terminator 2...but since it's a sequel to an 80's flick...nah.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:25 am

Jurassic Park

It ushered in (for better or worse) the current blockbuster era of films. It was the first film that used computer generated images to realistic and awe inspiring effects. This movie made mad money because it was pure popcorn thrill ride the likes of which no one had ever seen. This single movie made everyone in Hollywood computer crazy. Stan Winston, we hardly knew ye!

I prefer The Matrix to JP, but I think JP had the more indelible effect on Hollywood. All The Matrix did was make R-movies blockbuster material again while also birthing an era of gimmicky action scenes in movies.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:34 am

Oooh.

True, Rogue, BUT... if I may pick a nit...

Jurassic Park is based on a BOOK. The Matrix is an ORIGINAL screenplay, written to be a MOVIE.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:46 am

Godzilla
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby buster00 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:27 am

Shit.

Ribbons wins.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby EliCash on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:35 am

gattaca. probably the best science fiction film ever made.
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:56 am

"What sci-fi movie was MORE important to the genre in the 90's than The Matrix?" - hell yeah, Gattaca was real good. I also think 'Existenz' had one of the best science fiction premises of the '90's. Starship Troopers (yeah it's based in '50's Heinlen, but in the most subversive way). Strange Days - never understood why this film wasn't a much bigger success. All at least as impoertant to the genre as the first good Matrix movie

Why, why didn't they make just one sequel? There's only enough story for two movies
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:29 am

You gotta define important if you're going to call Gattaca the most important sci-fi film of the '90s. It was obviously nowhere near as innovative, popular or influential as The Matrix.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:36 am

Ribbons wrote:You gotta define important if you're going to call Gattaca the most important sci-fi film of the '90s. It was obviously nowhere near as innovative, popular or influential as The Matrix.

...sure dude... but 'Godzilla'?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby EliCash on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:37 am

no, i mean like, important in terms of the purpose of science-fiction - an examination of the consequences technological development has for the earth and human society
EliCash
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:53 am

I was chatting to a couple of other Zoners about this recently. I think it's an awesome film, and it pisses me off that it wasn't recognised by the Academy, yet ROTK sweeps the board. Everybody hailed that moment as the day the Academy finally learnt to respect big-budget action movies, but I think it was a one-off, and now they'll go back to jizzing over films about disabled people.

The Matrix was one of the best movies of 1999, hands-down, IMO. And it seemed like a natural successor to Star Wars because (a) We'd had to suffer TPM earlier in the year and (b) it was as much a fantasy as it was a sci-fi
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:05 am

buster00 wrote:So, lemme ask yez this, then...

What sci-fi movie was MORE important to the genre in the 90's than The Matrix?

Whaddya gonna say? The Star Wars prequels? All three put together were not as vital as The Matrix. The question doesn't say anything about Reloaded or Revelations...which, technically, weren't released in the 90's anyway.

I'll MAYBE give ya Terminator 2...but since it's a sequel to an 80's flick...nah.

Pi
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:19 am

thedoglippedone wrote:Pi

'nuff said!
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ocanbob79 on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:24 am

The Matrix packaged a popular Sci-fi theme and made it accesible to the masses. Phillip K. Dick, had earlier touched on this subject matter. The W's also borrowed from various anime storylines, not the least of which is "Ghost in the Shell". Don't misunderstand, I'm no elitist, I still loved the Matrix. I think, personally, any movie that can still spark debate seven years after it's release must have some substantial importance.

As for Reloaded being garbled, I disagree. The reason for allowing Zion to exist was because humans were unable to accept the Matrix 'reality' unless given a choice, subconscious as it may have been. If the choice of freedom weren't at least subliminally offered, then the human mind rejected it. The original Matrix as Smith said was, "...like a bad dream from which your primative mind kept trying to wake up." So, allowing the choice precludes the notion that some will choose reality instead of the Matrix.

The glitch in the Matrix, after all, was free will not the One. So, before Zion became too big it was destroyed. All the time the One believed he was to save Zion at the machine mainframe. Only when he/she (the previous versions) arrived, the Architect explained the true plan. Since, 'The One' felt an inherent bond to humans, and not wishing to see extinction, he/she agreed to choose the replacements to repopulate Zion (so a place would exist allowing for choice between the two realities), and the vicious, forced symbiosis goes on and on... until Neo, and Trinity and love and realizing the difference between knowing the path and walking it, hence the message of the entire series: A reality forced on an individual can't tell that person who they are... and I liked the story as a whole. Although, admittedly, I hated Revolutions when I first saw it, (I still cringe at some of the dialogue) but after reviewing, I rather liked what it lent to the story.
ocanbob79
GLIB

Next

Return to Movie Discussion