The Matrix Trilogy: Revisited

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

How do you feel about The Matrix?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Best/Most Important SciFi of the 90s
23%
Important SciFi of the 90s
63%
Just another movie
8%
Below average film with above average effects
3%
One of the worst movies of the 90s
3%

Total votes : 64

Postby godzillasushi on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:50 pm

Yea "Rat" is one of those kind of useless storylines that detract from the thing. Like the key-maker for me.

I'm wondering, um, why isn't there another key-maker? Why aren't there other ones?

And the whole love triangle between Morpheus, Jada Smith, and the other dude felt so entirely out of place.

The Mech's felt more like they were trying to tap into the anime style that they used. I always wondered why they felt the need to waste time making giant walking robots when they could have cut their build time in half making tanks or turrets that could actually withstand the freaking robots. Just nitpicking but it's like having AT-AT's where the controllers sit out in the open as easy targets.
ImageImage
godzillasushi
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: The Matrix Trilogy: Revisited

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 am

Thoughts on 'The Matrix' 15 years later and 1999 as a great year for movies
The Wachowskis' wire-fu ride celebrates an anniversary today
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 am

Still the best superhero movie anybody has ever made.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:41 pm

'The Matrix': Read THR's 1999 Review
"Matrix is an adrenaline rush from the start and pushes the envelope in stylish, inspired action sequences"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Matrix ruined science fiction movies

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 am

Maybe The Matrix Ruined Science Fiction Movies
Charlie Jane Anders wrote:The Matrix was a hugely influential film, which helped launch a million black-clad wuxia-fueled adventures. But maybe it had an even bigger impact? Josh Friedman, creator of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, suggests The Matrix ruined science fiction movies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Matrix ruined science fiction movies

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:05 pm

TheButcher wrote:Maybe The Matrix Ruined Science Fiction Movies
Charlie Jane Anders wrote:The Matrix was a hugely influential film, which helped launch a million black-clad wuxia-fueled adventures. But maybe it had an even bigger impact? Josh Friedman, creator of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, suggests The Matrix ruined science fiction movies.

yeah, i don't buy it. look at every successful sci-fi movie that came out BEFORE matrix. they were already mostly action/adventure stories set in space, with very little actual "science" or imagination involved. just look at every star trek movie after the first one? ST1 was very slow and cerebral and it fared poorly at the box office. ST2 was basically an action film and was hugely successful, and nearly every film in the series since (except 4, which also wasn't sci-fi but was actually a comedy) pretty much followed the same formula. very few true sci-fi films that don't rely on action were ever successful. films like 2001 were the exception to prove the rule.

TV gives the opportunity to do sci-fi much better, to be truer to the non-action side of the genre. you can draw stories out longer, explain things more thoroughly, and not depend on having a massive action finale in every single episode. movies don't have the same luxury, you've got 2 hours to tell a whole story, deliver a satisfying ending, and make people feel like the $15 they spent on a ticket was well-spent.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:42 pm

The most commercially successful sci-fi films are the ones that have action stuff because spectacle always draws the biggest crowds.

But I think most people don't think of stuff like HER or ETERNAL SUNSHINE ON THE SPOTLESS MIND or NEVER LET ME GO as sci-fi. Maybe because the sci-fi device is too subtle or because the movies are actually emotionally compelling stories so they forget about the sci-fi device. But there's lots of good post-MATRIX sci-fi movies out there that aren't action films. They get made, they get good reviews, they find an audience, they just don't find the biggest audience.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:40 am

Welcome back to “In defense of,” io9’s semi-regular series defending works of pop culture (and science) that are unfairly dismissed or despised.
The Matrix Reloaded Is A Fun Movie. Stop Pretending It Doesn't Exist.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:20 pm

The Architect & Neo Matrix Reloaded with English subtitles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 am

TheButcher wrote:The Architect & Neo Matrix Reloaded with English subtitles.

Nope, still stupid.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm

THE CANON #121:
The Matrix (w/ Cameron Esposito)
Comedian Cameron Esposito joins Amy this week to discuss the 1999 sci-fi film “The Matrix.” They break down “The Matrix” as a product of queer theory as well as the implications of the famous “red pill, blue pill” scene. Then they consider the film’s relevance to technology and culture at the end of a millennia, how it utilizes a mashup of styles to entertain the viewer, and why the success of “The Matrix” changed the playing field for new directors. Does “The Matrix” belong in The Canon? Cast your vote on the Earwolf forums now!

/film October 6th, 2017:
New ‘Matrix’ Movie: Zak Penn Confirms It’s Not a Reboot Or Continuation
Chris Evangelista wrote:In March, word broke that a potential reboot of The Matrix, the influential 1999 sci-fi hit that reshaped the action movie landscape and made billowy coats cool again, was in the works at Warner Brothers. X-Men: The Last Stand and Ready Player One screenwriter Zak Penn was mentioned as being attached to the film, and Penn later tried to set the record straight by saying the film was not really a reboot. Now Penn has offered a new update. Get the details on the new Matrix movie below.

Not long after the Matrix reboot rumor began to take shape, screenwriter Zak Penn attempted to reassure fans who were instantly skeptical of the project, especially since Matrix creators Lilly and Lana Wachowski were not involved with the new film at all. Why reboot something that was already so well loved (I’m talking about the first movie here; let’s just pretend those two sequels don’t exist)? It’s a thought echoed by the film’s star. Speaking recently at NYCC, Keanu Reeves said, “Remaking The Matrix. I don’t know. Maybe it’s…I don’t know anything about it.” Zak Penn had this to say::

“Can’t comment yet except to say that the words ‘reboot’ and ‘remake’ were from an article. Let’s stop responding to inaccurate news. All I can say at this point is no one could or should REBOOT the Matrix. People who know Animatrix and the comics understand. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of The Matrix? Yes. Because it’s a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Look at what people are doing with Xmen universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me.”

Now Penn has offered a new, albeit similar, update on the project via his Twitter page. And since Mr. Penn doesn’t appear to enjoy threading his tweets, I took the liberty of compiling them into one statement:
“Re: the Matrix, yes I’m writing something. Not a reboot, not a continuation, watch Animatrix, read comics to see what Wachowskis did. A script in development is not a movie. No casting, director, style can be discussed yet. Nothing to see here folks…yet. No need to put actors or anyone on the spot, because there’s nothing there yet. No reboot or reimagining, no recasting involved. And this is not the point in process that those decisions get made. So many hoops to jump through, the first one I gotta do myself.”

The Animatrix was a series of 9 short animated films that delved into the backstory of The Matrix universe, so it would seem that Penn is hinting the script he’s working on will continue to expand The Matrix mythology and explore even more elements of The Matrix world.

Of course, you and I both know that if and when this film sees the light of day, everyone is just going to call it a reboot. As Penn says, it’s still way too early to talk about directors or casting. As for Keanu Reeves, the actor has said in the past he’s open to the idea of more Matrix films, but only if the Wachowskis were involved. “They would have to write it and direct it,” Reeves told Yahoo Movies. “And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” In other words, since the Wachowskis aren’t involved here, don’t hold your breath.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion