AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby Flumm on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm

So, as some will have already read, an interesting a little exange took place between Harry and Cameron over the course of the past few days.

I like Cameron's openness here, and he seems really enthusiastic about the project. Hopefully this bodes good things for AICN, Avatar and all us schmucks further down the road.

When Harry met Jim:

Harry wrote:
Hey folks, Harry here... A few days ago, Merrick posted an image that was represented as being a Na'Vi character design from James Cameron's AVATAR. The design was also allegedly removed from a number of other sites that it had been posted upon. However, we here at AICN, never received such a request. However, I did receive an email from James Cameron today catching me up with how production is going on AVATAR. In that letter, he specifically addressed that design, here is that portion of the letter...

You recently posted some artwork of a supposed Na'vi character. Don't know where you got it but it's spurious. I've never seen that piece of art. We had a lot of free-ranging conceptual stuff in the early days of design two and a half years ago, and it might be something that was done then but not shown to me, but it is definitely not remotely our actual character design. Aside from two legs, two arms and a tail, it doesn't have any features in common with our final designs. If I had to guess I'd say it's a piece of fan art based on the description of the Na'vi from the old treatment which was leaked twelve years ago. That description is obsolete relative to the shooting script, since things have changed a lot over the years.

I wrote Jim back to see if I may share the rest of the letter to you, as it includes some rather awesome developments in technology and just general excitement about the work he is doing in New Zealand at the moment, that got me quite excited, and I'm sure would thrill many of you. For now though - realize that this is what Mr Cameron thought of that art...

Harry then wrote:
Hey folks, Harry here... Well, you asked for it, I asked for it and now I have permission to give it to ya! Here's the letter, complete and unedited that I received from James Cameron that was sent to set us right regarding that alleged AVATAR art... and giving us the low down on the coolness that is his daily life upon the set of AVATAR. Enjoy...

Harry,

I've been up to my ass in avatars for the last couple of months, so haven't had a chance to update you on progress. We're down in New Zealand shooting the live action and the stuff is looking really good. I love my cast, and the 3D cameras are working spectacularly. We seem to be firing on all eight so far.

The first couple of weeks we were still coming up to speed, figuring out how to control the interocular and convergence for all different types of shooting situations. But we've got that dialed in now. We've reworked the camera software on the fly, using a set of look-up curves we wrote ourselves, so now the cameras basically go to a default interocular setting automatically based on focal length and subject distance --- a kind of "auto-stereo" --- which is working really well. I can be hand-holding a shot, and decide to crank in on the zoom in the middle of the shot, completely unrehearsed, and our system compensates instantly. It's definitely the most advanced stereo camera system in existence. And the result is enveloping stereo with zero eye strain or unwanted viewing artifacts. You feel like you're there.

Each one of my actors is turning in incandescent work --- Sigourney, Sam Worthington, Stephen Lange, Giovanni Ribisi, Michelle Rodriguez, Joel David Moore ---- they're each so right on that it's impossible to think of anyone else playing their characters. And the sets which were built down here by the Kiwi art department are the best I've ever worked with. The detailing is incredible. I want to bring some of the vehicles home and park them on my tennis court.

Since this film is basically going to be four years of my life by the time it's done, I decided it had to fun to make as I went along, or it just wasn't worth it. I'm having a blast. It's all attitude. The work is just as hard as any film I've made, but for the first time on a movie I'm actually enjoying the process on a day to day basis.

You recently posted some artwork of a supposed Na'vi character. Don't know where you got it but it's spurious. I've never seen that piece of art. We had a lot of free-ranging conceptual stuff in the early days of design two and a half years ago, and it might be something that was done then but not shown to me, but it is definitely not remotely our actual character design. Aside from two legs, two arms and a tail, it doesn't have any features in common with our final designs. If I had to guess I'd say it's a piece of fan art based on the description of the Na'vi from the old treatment which was leaked twelve years ago. That description is obsolete relative to the shooting script, since things have changed a lot over the years.

Fox doesn't want to unveil anything yet, understandably, but when the time is right I'll get you some of the actual design art which won't be available anywhere else, so fans can get a look behind the curtain on the design of the characters.

Gotta get to the set (it's Monday oh-dark-thirty here). Hope this message finds you well.

Jim out

So there ya have it... More from Jim as he deems needed...

Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Can't wait to see the design art.
Cool.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:02 am

This sounds so cool. I wonder what's changed since I read that scriptment so long ago.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 am

Main Page has a small update in regards to Cameron's Avatar...

Anything of interest though is pretty much found below...

James Cameron wrote:Things are going well on Avatar, or at least as well as can be expected on such a ridiculously complex project. We've wrapped principal, and most of the live action portion of the movie is already cut. It's starting to look and sound like a movie. I'm ecstatic with the performances and the look. The cast chemistry worked out perfectly.

I'm in New Zealand right now, working on effects, while Steve Quale shoots some second unit. We've worked together a lot (he did the engine room scenes on "Titanic", plus co-directed "Aliens of the Deep" with me) and he's the only guy I trust to shoot stuff for me, especially in 3D. We still have a little performance capture work to do with Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana in March, when we get her back from Star Trek (she's Uhura -- but of course you already knew that.) And we have a couple of days with Stephen Lang in April or May, to shoot his character's last scene, which is so technically difficult it will take us until then to figure out how to do it.

You can see how spread out the schedule is -- it's just the nature of this type of CG animation/live action hybrid. Most of my time now is spent editing, because on this type of film you edit every CG scene twice -- once to edit the raw performance capture, before it goes to virtual camera, and then again when you have the virtual camera shots, you do the final edit of the scene. It's very complex and taxing, but the result is amazing. The Weta animators are ON FIRE, and seeing the world and the creatures come to life is what keeps us going. There's a spirit on this film, an esprit de corps amongst the virtual team, that comes from knowing we're doing something absolutely groundbreaking. It's why people still have good morale after working on this thing for two years or more. And we still have more than a year and a half to go. I don't know if this will be a good film, great film, awful film, but I can say with absolute certainty that you will see stuff you've never imagined, and that the process of making this film will generate a lot of interest within the technical side of the biz. When I edit with some of our early stuff, "shot" using our virtual camera system over a year and half ago, it already looks laughably crude. Our process has evolved so much, just within the making of this one movie. Of course the final standard of photoreal animation will be consistent throughout the film, because it all gets rendered in a big frenzy next year.

It's all very exciting to be doing, and that (usually) compensates for the grind of the seven day weeks. Well, no rest for the weary. Gotta get to the cutting room. Back to Pandora.

Jim out
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:19 am

http://www.joblo.com/weaver-talks-avatar

Sigourney Weaver talks Avatar up a bit. Pretty general stuff, but I'm sort of looking for anything I can on this flick.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Peven on Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 pm

James Cameron Talks Avatar
Source: Search Engine Watch
May 20, 2008

Titanic director James Cameron talked today at Microsoft Advance '08 about his highly-anticipated Avatar, which 20th Century Fox will release in theaters on December 18, 2009. Search Engine Watch has a great rundown of what Cameron talked about and here are just a few clips:

"'Avatar' will make people truly experience something," said Cameron. "One more layer of the suspension of disbelief will be removed. All the syn-thespians are photo-realistic. Now that we've achieved it, we discovered CG characters in 3D look more real than in 2D. Your brain is cued it's a real thing not a picture and discounting part of [the] image that makes it look fake."

"'Avatar' is the single most complex piece of filmmaking ever made," said Cameron. "We have 1,600 shots for a 2.5 hour movie. It's not with a single CGI character, like King Kong or Gollum. We have hundreds of photo-realistic CG characters. We were Microsoft's sandbox for filmmaking beyond the cutting edge."

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue May 20, 2008 11:03 pm

Peven wrote:James Cameron Talks Avatar
May 20, 2008

Titanic director James Cameron talked today at Microsoft Advance '08 about his highly-anticipated Avatar, which 20th Century Fox will release in theaters on December 18, 2009. Search Engine Watch has a great rundown of what Cameron talked about and here are just a few clips:

"'Avatar' will make people truly experience something," said Cameron. "One more layer of the suspension of disbelief will be removed. All the syn-thespians are photo-realistic. Now that we've achieved it, we discovered CG characters in 3D look more real than in 2D. Your brain is cued it's a real thing not a picture and discounting part of [the] image that makes it look fake."

"'Avatar' is the single most complex piece of filmmaking ever made," said Cameron. "We have 1,600 shots for a 2.5 hour movie. It's not with a single CGI character, like King Kong or Gollum. We have hundreds of photo-realistic CG characters. We were Microsoft's sandbox for filmmaking beyond the cutting edge. I'M KING OF THE WORLLLLLLD!"
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:
Peven wrote:James Cameron Talks Avatar
May 20, 2008

"'Avatar' is the single most complex piece of filmmaking ever made," said Cameron. "We have 1,600 shots for a 2.5 hour movie. It's not with a single CGI character, like King Kong or Gollum. We have hundreds of photo-realistic CG characters. We were Microsoft's sandbox for filmmaking beyond the cutting edge. I'M KING OF THE WORLLLLLLD!"

So is that his sign off now? Like "Seacrest out"
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby magicmonkey on Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:
Peve n wrote:James Cameron Talks Avatar
May 20, 2008

So is that his sign off now? Like "Seacrest out"

I thought he thought he was the messiah. Anyhow's, I want in on this tech already.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Evil Hobbit on Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Yeh, it's time for him to stop bragging and start showing some snippets of this tech. Like, show us some emotions, with non spooky eyes.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 pm

He better have something valuable up his sleeve otherwise he is just building it up too much.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed May 21, 2008 3:42 pm

I truly think he's not blowing smoke. Can't wait.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:I truly think he's not blowing smoke. Can't wait.

I'm withholding judgement until some media comes out showing off this stuff. I am a little turn fff by his statements though.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby minstrel on Wed May 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Cameron has made some of the most visually exciting films I've ever seen. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's made my eyes pop before and I believe he can do it again.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Peven on Wed May 21, 2008 4:08 pm

his best two movies, imo, were made in the 80's; "Terminator" and "The Abyss". i find him to be similar to Lucas in that he has become much more obsessed with the technical aspect of film making than the human side, which is why his movies has been less and less affecting as time has progressed. pretty, but empty

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 am

THR has an interview with Cameron posted.

With 17 months to go before the release of James Cameron's sci-fi epic "Avatar," his first narrative feature since 1997's "Titanic," anticipation already is enormous. The wildly ambitious project will be made in stereoscopic 3-D and combine live action and computer animation using visionary new filmmaking techniques.

Slated to open Dec. 18, 2009, the production already has been in the works for 2 1/2 years. When completed, Cameron expects "Avatar" to be about 60% CG animation, based on characters created using a newly developed performance capture-based process, and 40% live action, with a lot of VFX in the imagery.

"It is the most challenging film I've ever made," Cameron said.

Still, the innovative filmmaker and digital 3-D pioneer and champion has never shifted his emphasis from storytelling.

"You have to make a good film that would be a good film under any circumstances," he said. "You have to put the narrative first. The reality is no matter how many (3-D) screens we get, you are still going to have a large number of people -- possibly the majority of people -- who see the film in a 2-D environment."

The live-action principal photography for "Avatar" was shot in New Zealand last fall and winter using the Fusion 3-D camera system. Cameron first used the Fusion to make his 2003 Imax 3-D film "Ghosts of the Abyss"; he and "Ghosts" director of photography Vince Pace invented the camera system for the project.

Now, Fusion camera systems are available for rental via Burbank-based 3-D provider Pace, through which president Vince Pace and Cameron continue to innovate and develop the technology. The system already has made its mark, having been used on such pioneering live-action digital 3-D titles as "Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth."

Said Pace: "The systems themselves, in my opinion, can handle any creative challenge. We've learned a lot since shooting 'Ghosts of the Abyss.' "

With "Avatar's" principal photography completed, Cameron is focused on CG production. The helmer said his team has completed the performance capture (sometimes referred to as motion capture) of the actors and is in the post process of performance capture 3-D.

The CG involved a large amount of additional R&D that afforded the director new creative options and flexibility. For one, the film used a new performance capture production workflow.

"The way we developed the performance capture workflow on 'Avatar" is we have our virtual camera, which allows me to, in real time, hold a camera -- it's really a monitor -- in my hands and point it at the actors and see them as their CG chartacters," Cameron said.

The actors wear leotards and a "head rig" with a tiny standard-definition camera that takes an image of an actor's face. "That is going though facial algorithms and going back into the camera as a real-time CG face of the character," the helmer said. "You see it talk; you see the eyes move. It is pretty phenomenal.

"Once we've laid down a take, the take exists in the digital asset management system," he said. "It an be accessed at any time. Long after the actors have gone home, I'm still out there with the virtual camera, shooting coverage on the scene. I just have to play the take back. I can do the close up, the wide shot. ... I can even move them around on a limited basis. We relight it. We do all kinds of things.

"It's this amazing ability to quickly conjure scenes and images and great fantasyscapes that is very visual. We call it 'director centric' because I can use the camera to block the actors," Cameron related. "When you are doing performance capture, creatively it's very daunting. It's very hard to imagine what it will look like. But if you can see it, if you can have a virtual image of what is it going to be like, then you are there. As the processing power goes up our models get more sophisticated and our lighting tools get more sophisticated, even while we are making this movie. I'm still doing a lot of virtual camera work on the film ... on stuff that was shot six months ago."

Cameron also used what he calls FPR, or Facial Performance Replacement, which he likens to the film sound technique of ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement).

To describe the process, the director relates that he recently wanted to redo a line spoken by actor Laz Alonzo. "We changed the words and he redid the dialogue. We didn't have to recapture (his body performance) and he didn't have to put the performance capture suit on again. We were just creating new words, and we were creating a new face."

On the cinematography, Cameron related that his goal was to create "one movie where the aesthetics of physical production and the aesthetics of virtual production are, to the extent that we could do it, pretty much it identical."

Reaching this goal involved development of what Cameron calls the 'Simulcam,' which essentially treats a real camera like the virtual camera and in turn helps to remove guesswork. "We're taking our virtual production toolset and superimposing it on physical production," Cameron said. "We turned the set on the soundstage into a capture volume and turned the physical camera into a capture virtual camera, so we were able to integrate CG characters and environments into our live action."

As an example of how this works, he explained: "We have people in flying vehicles, and I can see what is outside the window, fed in, in real time."

On 3-D, both Cameron and Pace are looking ahead.

"The real question is 'where does all this go?" Cameron said. "Are we looking at a situation maybe 10-15 years out where most laptops are sold with 3-D stereoscopic screens, most montors are stereo compatible, most DVD players can run stereo content? ... I can see this becoming much more pervasive that we are thinking now."

He and Pace believe content is the key.

Pace addressed one last--and not often addressed--aspect of 3-D: The archival value.

"I think back of our shots at Titanic (lensed for "Ghosts of the Abyss"). Those have incredible, future proof, archival value," Pace said. "When we look at (3-D) display devices in the home (which are already becoming available)--a lot of filmmakers and studios need to be making 3-D right now. Those production commitments are often based on the here and now, instead of thinking about how much value there is to this 3-D product in the future. Why not master in 3-D now if there is only an incremental expense? Why not think about that now?"
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:57 pm

From Variety: Studios wary of big budget auteurs
THE TENTPOLE

Fox execs are sweating as Cameron again pushes the frontiers of f/x and motion picture technology with the CG/motion-capture/live-action 3-D "Avatar." The filmmaker worked on advance R&D for six years -- incredibly, studio execs say they plowed only $10 million into that, gambling that Cameron's new process would even work.

The director, working with VFX whiz Rob Legato, showed the studio advance pre-viz footage demonstrating how high-def video cameras could track actors moving inside a virtual CG set. Initially budgeted at $200 million, the sci-fi epic was pushed back from May to December 2009 to give the director more time to combine in the computer all necessary elements: 3-D motion-capture data of the actors on bare sets, CG environments, and final animation of the human avatars (Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver) and alien characters (Teresa Saldana, CCH Pounder). The photo-real digital film is 20% live-action with humans shot on location and 80% live-action mixed with CG elements. "It's a CG film with live-action in it," Legato says.

Sources close to the studio admit there was a time when it was terrified that Cameron's process wouldn't work. Execs relaxed a tad when they got to see finished footage. Giving Cameron and Weta Digital in New Zealand (where substantial rebates make everything cheaper) extra post-production time made sense.

The later release date leaves exhibitors time to add more 3-D screens. The movie could go out on a three-tiered basis: high-ticket super-charged Imax 3-D, regular 3-D and old-fashioned 2-D -- unless Cameron gets his way and refuses to show the movie on 2-D. That's a tough one, as there are about 1,000 North American screens and only a few hundred 3-D screens overseas.

More are scheduled to be built in the next year, but several senior execs at rival studios predict that Cameron will persuade Fox to push the movie back, because the prospect of releasing a $300 million movie on 1,500 screens worldwide is too nerve-wracking.

Fox is sharing the negative cost with several hedge funds to protect its downside. With 14 months to go, the final budget is hard to estimate, depending on whether Cameron does a lot of last-minute tweaking, and the film's running time, which should wind up at about 2½ hours.

ESTIMATED COST: $250 million to $300 million. Cameron knows how to play to the mainstream -- fanboys, soccer moms, trailer park dads, city folk and overseas auds. His goal is to change motion pictures as we know it. Fox could score another global commercial blockbuster.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:10 pm

The Edmonton Sun has an interview with James Cameron who says his newest film Avatar is his greatest production ever:

But as the director heads to Canada for this weekend's Walk of Fame celebrations, he boasts that his watery 1997 blockbuster starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet pales in comparison to his latest project, Avatar.

"It makes Titanic look like a picnic," Cameron said recently during an interview from Los Angeles, where he is working furiously on the new film.

Even Cameron, 54, finds it hard to describe the hugely ambitious Avatar, which is being made in stereoscopic 3-D and combines live action and computer animation.

"It's simultaneously the most vexing and the most rewarding type of production that I've done yet," Cameron says of the project, due in theaters Dec. 18, 2009.

This however, is my favorite part of the article:

After the success of The Terminator, Cameron helmed True Lies and The Abyss, all the while developing a reputation as a visionary filmmaker with a legendary temper (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio is rumoured to have burst into tears on the set of The Abyss after Cameron suggested extras urinate into their wetsuits to save time).

Source: LatinoReview.com & EdmontonSun.com
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tapehead on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:21 pm

Bah! let 'em piss in their scuba: Cameron is gonna make our eyeballs explode!

...and then our brains

or maybe our brains first, then our eyeballs... then our testicles slash ovaries, probably one at a time...

either way 4V4T4R will R0XX0R5!!!11!!
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:03 pm

tapehead wrote:Bah! let 'em piss in their scuba: Cameron is gonna make our eyeballs explode!

...and then our brains

or maybe our brains first, then our eyeballs... then our testicles slash ovaries, probably one at a time...

when Tapehead talks like this, it must be good.

I'm in, only on Tapeheads L337 speak
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:21 am

tapehead wrote:Bah! let 'em piss in their scuba: Cameron is gonna make our eyeballs explode!

...and then our brains

but what if the writing, acting, and plot are pants? :-P :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:12 pm

IESB Exclusive: Tom Rothman and FOX looking forward to 2009 and AVATAR
At least once a year, 20th Century Fox co-chairman Tom Rothman likes to go on the record to discuss the studio's upcoming slate. Just last week, I sat down with Rothman exclusively at the Fox lot in Century City.

We talked about a variety of things and films. The first part of the interview, Rothman and I discussed the disappointing summer Fox experienced this year, after nine consecutive record-breaking years, and what their game plan is for the future.

The first part of the interview is below, more parts will soon follow that include information on X-Men, Daredevil, Fantastic Voyage and many others!

link
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:16 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

IMAX announces J.C.'s Avatar to be released in IMAX 3D

Postby Posthumos1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:19 pm

IMAX sent out a release to its theaters yesterday saying that it will be releasing James Cameron's Avatar in IMAX 3D on 12/18/2009. The release came from IMAX corporate office media relations. It was VERY exciting news to us.
Last edited by Posthumos1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posthumos1
GLIB

Re: IMAX announces J.C.'s Avatar to be released in IMAX 3D

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Posthumos1 wrote:IMAX sent out a release to its theaters yesterday saying that it will be releasing James Cameron's Avatar in IMAX 3D on 12/18/2008. The release came from IMAX corporate office media relations. It was VERY exciting news to us.

Uhh, what? 2008?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Posthumos1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Sorry 12/18/2009, typo.
Posthumos1
GLIB

Postby Posthumos1 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:19 pm

Here is a copy of most of the IMAX release:

JAMES CAMERON’S AVATAR TO BE RELEASED IN IMAX® 3D ON DECEMBER 18TH 2009

Twentieth Century Fox Enlists IMAX 3D to Complete Format Menu for Moviegoers

LOS ANGELES, CA, November 6, 2008 – IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ: IMAX; TSX: IMX) and Twentieth Century Fox today announced that they have reached agreement on material terms to release the highly anticipated 3D motion picture Avatar in IMAX®3D simultaneously with the motion picture's premiere in conventional 3D theatres on December 18, 2009. Avatar is directed and written by Academy Award Winner James Cameron and stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver. Cameron will also produce with his Lightstorm Entertainment partner, Jon Landau. Avatar will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience®.

“Our goal with Avatar is to revolutionize live-action 3D moviemaking, and I have no doubt that it will look and sound incredible in IMAX 3D,” said director James Cameron. “The larger field of view and powerful surround sound of an IMAX® theatre will completely immerse the audience in a way that cannot be experienced anywhere else.”

“We are delighted to be releasing Avatar in all available theatrical formats, and by including the premium IMAX 3D format, we can give consumers the entire spectrum of choice at the box office,” said Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Twentieth Century Fox. “The IMAX theatre network is increasingly becoming an important part of our distribution strategy, as it continues to expand with its new digital projection system.”

“Avatar is one of the most anticipated movies of 2009 and it is a powerful addition to our film slate,” said IMAX Co-CEO’s Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. “We are particularly pleased with Twentieth Century Fox’s increasing interest in the IMAX theatre network, which is largely fueled by the rollout of our digital projection systems and IMAX’s track record of strong box office performance.”

“James Cameron is a genius filmmaker. His vision and 3D expertise make Avatar a natural fit for IMAX and we believe it will resonate with our audiences as well as the millions of James Cameron fans across the globe,” added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. “Every aspect of this film was meticulously designed for 3D, so when audiences experience this revolutionary film in an IMAX 3D theatre, they will feel as if they are actually IN the movie.

Avatar is the story of an ex-Marine who finds himself thrust into hostilities on an alien planet filled with exotic life forms. As an Avatar, a human mind in an alien body, he finds himself torn between two worlds, in a desperate fight for his own survival and that of the indigenous people. More than ten years in the making, Avatar marks Cameron's return to feature directing since helming 1997's Titanic, the highest grossing film of all time and winner of eleven Oscars® including Best Picture. WETA Digital, renowned for its work in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong, will incorporate new intuitive CGI technologies to transform the environments and characters into photorealistic 3D imagery that will transport the audience into the alien world rich with imaginative vistas, creatures and characters.

That should clarify.
Posthumos1
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Posthumos1 wrote:Sorry 12/18/2009, typo.

That makes much more sense.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby quimera on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:56 pm

quimera
GLIB

Postby underscore on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:20 pm

I don't understand: what is it about the screens that make it 3-D? I thought it was just the film and the glasses that make up the 3-D experience. And more importantly: THERE'S NO WAY TO PREVIEW THE 3-D TECHNOLOGY TO THE MASSES. All they can do is market it as a great movie with cool cgi and an interesting plot and plaster "IN IMAX 3D" everywhere as much as possible.
underscore
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Morzongo on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 am

I can't wait to see this one. I'm a big Cameron's fan since I was a child. 12 years for a new movie are too much for an audience. I expect that all these years haven't turn Cameron an unknown for the earliest generation.
Cinemavip - The community for movie proffessionals and amateurs.
Morzongo
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby theunforgettablefire on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:26 pm

what was cameron's last movie? titanic?

either way, this sounds like it's just overflowing with originality, and i'm really looking forward to it. the man is good at what he does.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Look! An actual "making of" pic of Avatar:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Look! An actual "making of" pic of Avatar:

Holy shit, that's the best CGI character I've ever seen.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 pm

so sorry wrote:

Yeah, although I think headset will be removed once it's fully rendered.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 pm

This thread needs more eyeball fucking...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Yeah, although I think headset will be removed once it's fully rendered.

Is what's on Cameron's t-shirt perhaps a hint to fans as to what his next project might be? Am I looking too deeply into things? Like Venom in the reflection of his headset or some crap?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Eyeball foreplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better start getting your pupil contraceptives ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 pm

havocSchultz wrote:Eyeball foreplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better start getting your pupil contraceptives ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear...If I take all these counter measures, and Cameron pulls out early...I'm gonna be a bit upset.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 am

Time magazine has seen scenes from Avatar!

THE quote from the article to be noted:

I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Fievel wrote:Time magazine has seen scenes from Avatar!

THE quote from the article to be noted:

I couldn't tell what was real and what was animated

Just like sex!

My eyeballs are ready for you Mr. Cameron...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:32 pm

I read the article too. In case you haven't seen it, TIME has released a correction, saying that it cost 200 mil, not 300, as was originally reported.

Still, that's a shit load of cash. But damn, it's cool to finally see some scrap of news for this. When does the trailer for this thing come out? Summer, I imagine.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby cabjvitu on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:05 pm

i just took an eyes shower, and put on their best clothes, im ready for the date cameron, wink wink!
cabjvitu
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Maui on Thu May 21, 2009 9:01 pm

We might finally get to see this trailer before the Transformers film.
Maui
WoWie

Postby King Psyz on Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Maui wrote:We might finally get to see this trailer before the Transformers film.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri May 22, 2009 2:05 am

According to this site it's the other Avatar movie trailer.

A widespread web rumor on Wednesday has it being placed before Paramount's "Transformers 2."

The studio's reaction: "Nope."
And a closer look at the summer schedule indicates that's the truth.

First of all, Paramount has its own "Avatar" -- kind of. The studio's "The Last Airbender," from director M. Night Shyamalan, is based on the popular animated program "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and is being released in 2010. Turns out that's the trailer everyone will see before "Transformers 2." It also makes perfect sense because the Michael Bay sequel is a Paramount film.

Besides, "Transformers 2" isn't in 3D. And wouldn't Fox want to screen its huge 3D trailer before another 3D movie?

Presto ... Fox's very own "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" is being released on July 1 in 3D, so the move to showcase Cameron's "Avatar" is obvious. Fox hasn't confirmed the move.

That seems screwy though, seeing as Transformers has a closer demographic. :?
Thank you, Zoners, for the kindness, tolerance, and enlightenment you've shared with me. It may not have been deserved, but it was greatly appreciated nonetheless. Soupy twist.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Tue May 26, 2009 10:46 am

Maui
WoWie

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue May 26, 2009 10:53 am

I have no idea what this damned film is supposed to be about, and yet all over AICN I am seeing people crying out in ecstasy and tearing their eyes out. But I appreciate that I know nothing of this project, considering its scale and the fact that it's Cameron's first work of fiction since Piranha Part Two: The Spawning.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 am

Yeah, I was reading the TalkBack for that article the other day and some person said "Fuuuuck, this movie looks SICK." I don't get where that opinion is coming from; it's half a picture of some generic-looking robot thing. I would almost rather see concept art at this point. I understand the basis for the anticipation because of what the movie reperesents, but in terms of something tangible there's not a whole lot going on right now.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 am

Pacino86845 wrote: and the fact that it's Cameron's first work of fiction since Piranha Part Two: The Spawning.

True Lies? T2? The Abyss?

They were non-fiction!?!?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion