AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:22 am

papalazeru wrote:I usually expect to see more than just one premise within a trailer, all it said to me was, this man comes to new land, learns to adapt, there was nothing else.


Isn't that because nowadays too much of a film's story is put into a trailer? Isn't James Cameron keeping a tight hold on the marketing for Avatar so that people would have something to be surprised about in the theater?
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am

Pacino86845 wrote:
papalazeru wrote:I usually expect to see more than just one premise within a trailer, all it said to me was, this man comes to new land, learns to adapt, there was nothing else.


Isn't that because nowadays too much of a film's story is put into a trailer? Isn't James Cameron keeping a tight hold on the marketing for Avatar so that people would have something to be surprised about in the theater?



If that's the case, when this movie airs it's going to be like Indy opening the resting place of the Ark :D

And if that is the case, I'm more than happy because he's done a very good job, but because there's nothing else to go on it leaves me sceptical.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:16 am

papalazeru wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Funny that. I saw so much more. And I have slit eyes!



You haven't seen it yet.


I was talking about the trailer.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 am

and I've seen the preview.

Now who wants to touch me?....I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Bloo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:32 am

papalazeru wrote:and I've seen the preview.

Now who wants to touch me?....I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!


ohhhhhh
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 am

papalazeru wrote:and I've seen the preview.

Now who wants to touch me?....I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!


Go fuck yourself.

Yeah and I'm probably IN the film as an extra playing a pair of GENITALS!!!!!

Nooooooowwww....... who wants to TOUCH MEEEEEEE?!?!?!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 am

Bloo wrote:
papalazeru wrote:and I've seen the preview.

Now who wants to touch me?....I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!


ohhhhhh



:D

Someone got the joke
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Bloo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:24 am

papalazeru wrote:
Bloo wrote:
papalazeru wrote:and I've seen the preview.

Now who wants to touch me?....I SAID WHO WANTS TO FUCKING TOUCH ME!


ohhhhhh



:D

Someone got the joke


yup! I do that a lot myself
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Raziel on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 am

Underwhelming stuff... some of the alien characters are decidedly cartoonish looking.
User avatar
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 am

Raziel wrote:Underwhelming stuff... some of the alien characters are decidedly cartoonish looking.



Trailer or the Preview?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby ironic name on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Oh well, there goes that original twist down the line for me being too distracted by chicks...

I came up with the same idea after seeing predator, where an advanced lifeform hunts a 'lesser' one, a fox's eye view of a foxhunt. that movie and aliens are essentially about alien... um... avatars for humans and how how callous we act with regards to other animals. I wanted a movie where the native aliens were speaking english, and after an hour seeing humans is supposed to be bizzare and weird, and they'd have a mumbling sound, like not actual words so they were totally unidentifiable creatures that would jump out at the 'good' guys, and there'd be triumphant music when the aliens take one down.
I think maybe after 10 minutes of humans, then an hour and a half of na'avi, that might be the jarring effect that cameron is going for, weird live action humans ruining this lifelike but otherwordly animated world, a subtle psychological trick to make you dislike the humans.

just be happy that one of us people who think about this stuff actually has the balls and cashmoney to do it.

but yeah, I was pissed off when I found out my frankenstein meets noir detective idea turned out to exist in madman and the spirit.
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm

We need to rethink our lives and write more, Ironic!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Sodacake on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm

I really thought the trailer looked great.
Sodacake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 pm

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Bloo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

I was at one of my local bars for lunch and on one of the TVs, CNN or cnbc or somebody had footage up...

out of the corner of my eye it looked good but a little on the cartoony/Prequel side

I'll be interesting to see what it looks like on the big screen/Imax/3d
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9668
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Another thing to consider is that the bulk of the VFX probably haven't had their final renderings yet. Remember how lame the Hulk looked during the Superbowl spot? But he looked pretty good in the movie. And the Iron Man trailer with that video game looking tank shot. It looked believable in the movie. So I'm sure there's still work being done on Avatar.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby buster00 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Image
User avatar
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 6401
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:19 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Another thing to consider is that the bulk of the VFX probably haven't had their final renderings yet. Remember how lame the Hulk looked during the Superbowl spot? But he looked pretty good in the movie. And the Iron Man trailer with that video game looking tank shot. It looked believable in the movie. So I'm sure there's still work being done on Avatar.



That's very true.

There were some shoddy physics in Avatar. Considering it's an Alien world and could have any number of gravity permutations, it really doesn't matter.

It's made clear, it's not earth. The graphics themselves are very 'clean'. There's no pores on anything. That could be a design feature or not but I think if there were a few more flaws people would have been happier.

As much as I bicker, I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the film. As a spectacle, I'll sit back and enjoy it but maybe I'm a little greedy and want more depth.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Another thing to consider is that the bulk of the VFX probably haven't had their final renderings yet. Remember how lame the Hulk looked during the Superbowl spot? But he looked pretty good in the movie. And the Iron Man trailer with that video game looking tank shot. It looked believable in the movie. So I'm sure there's still work being done on Avatar.


I think that's total bollox (if you're referring to the Avatar Trailer only). If James Cameron wanted us to see the oh so long awaited footage and trailer to such an important film by showing us the trailer, he would have shown us completed shots. I used to think those shitty cartoony looking Phantom Menace trailerswere unfinished shot but I was wrong, and I think if Cameron went to all that trouble to put that 15 minute preview out he would have done so completed and fully rendered as he intended.

The Hulk still looked shit when it came out too.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Someones comment on the guardian blogs today summed my thoughts nicely.

It was along the lines of that the aliens looked too clean and pretty, when really if evolution truly took a different path, would it not be more interesting to see some "half Badger-half Jellyfish" creature.

That made me laugh a lot, and its true. But the bit between the rock and a hard place that JC is at, is that the larger cinema audience wouldnt accept that, if they dont have something "pretty" to make a connection with.

I mean fuck, no one has seen an other worldly creature, so they may be pretty but in my dreams they exist as Jellybadgers.
...and so forth.
User avatar
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:55 pm
Location: Kongsberg, Norway, This Town needs an enema

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:35 pm

The news channels seem to be taking the Avatar marketing to heart. They've been showing the trailer and rabbiting on about how pioneering it is, seemingly without actually looking at it and making some sort of critical view of it.

RaulMonkey wrote:Nah, MB's provided us with a good example, and I bet there are dozens of similar stories out there. But is THE TERMINATOR any less cool for having been derived from Harlan Ellison and arguably a number of other writers?

Anything that angrys up Harlan Ellison's blood is a good thing.

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:Another thing to consider is that the bulk of the VFX probably haven't had their final renderings yet. Remember how lame the Hulk looked during the Superbowl spot? But he looked pretty good in the movie. And the Iron Man trailer with that video game looking tank shot. It looked believable in the movie. So I'm sure there's still work being done on Avatar.


I think that's total bollox. If James Cameron wanted us to see the oh so long awaited footage and trailer to such an important film by showing us the trailer, he would have shown us completed shots. I used to think the way you did when I saw those shitty cartoony looking Phantom Menace trailers but I was wrong there. and I think if Cameron went to all that trouble to put that 15 minute preview out he would have done so completed and fully rendered as he intended.

You're welcome to prove me wrong and I'll suck you cock in turn, but I think this stuff we say about unrendered shots in trailers is a load of wank now. At least as far as this film is concerned.

And The Hulk still looked shit when it came out too.

I would agree. Cameron is trying to sell this as spectacular stuff so I doubt he'd release unfinished footage.


Hermanator X wrote:Someones comment on the guardian blogs today summed my thoughts nicely.

It was along the lines of that the aliens looked too clean and pretty, when really if evolution truly took a different path, would it not be more interesting to see some "half Badger-half Jellyfish" creature.

That made me laugh a lot, and its true. But the bit between the rock and a hard place that JC is at, is that the larger cinema audience wouldnt accept that, if they dont have something "pretty" to make a connection with.

I mean fuck, no one has seen an other worldly creature, so they may be pretty but in my dreams they exist as Jellybadgers.

Yeah, Cameron mentioned in an interview that he wanted to make them look more weird, but then realised his main human had to fancy them so toned it down to the Bluejarjars we see now.

Perhaps the Jellybadgers will be in the sequel.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm

FG, have you seen it yet?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:26 pm

So how much can be written about a 15-minute IMAX 3D preview?

A lot!
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Raziel on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Raziel wrote:Underwhelming stuff... some of the alien characters are decidedly cartoonish looking.


Trailer or the Preview?


Oh sorry, I mean trailer.
User avatar
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:44 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland.

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby tapehead on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm

The movie is still in the final stages of post, but the shots we are seeing are completed. How is it in 3D? Anyone?
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:42 am

Okay, I just rewatched the trailer in HD and it definitely went down better the second time. I think what was off-putting at first was the Na'vi's physical appearance and then cutting to several bizarre landscapes. The second time around I could accept the strange facial features and just kind of let everything flow over me. Everything did look fully rendered and I didn't think anything was of poor quality. No film is going to ever have 100% convincing VFX, but by the looks of it Cameron has built a pretty convincing worldscape.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
User avatar
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger
 
Posts: 9609
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am
Location: Melbourne, FL

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:52 am

tapehead wrote:The movie is still in the final stages of post, but the shots we are seeing are completed. How is it in 3D? Anyone?


As I said earlier when I did my brief review of the preview material, slow motion tracking shots and stills are absolutely stunning in 3D. It really works, you get multiple layered images that really do create a large sense of distance. I could get a depth of around a few hundred meters from the footage in the preview.

There are two drawbacks through.

1) Fast motion sucked completely, it ended being a blurry mess as it looked like you got 2 different fields on the screen at the same time. The only time I could equate it do is watching fast motion graphics on a monitor with a 2ms refresh rate - there was severe ghosting that was detrimental to my enjoyment of the movie.

2) 3D is very controlling. Much of the time the footage really controlled what you saw as it would have one layer in perspective and everything else was just a blur, this was incredibly uncomfortable leaving you feeling quite trapped at what you saw.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 am

papalazeru wrote:
tapehead wrote:The movie is still in the final stages of post, but the shots we are seeing are completed. How is it in 3D? Anyone?


As I said earlier when I did my brief review of the preview material, slow motion tracking shots and stills are absolutely stunning in 3D. It really works, you get multiple layered images that really do create a large sense of distance. I could get a depth of around a few hundred meters from the footage in the preview.

There are two drawbacks through.

1) Fast motion sucked completely, it ended being a blurry mess as it looked like you got 2 different fields on the screen at the same time. The only time I could equate it do is watching fast motion graphics on a monitor with a 2ms refresh rate - there was severe ghosting that was detrimental to my enjoyment of the movie.

2) 3D is very controlling. Much of the time the footage really controlled what you saw as it would have one layer in perspective and everything else was just a blur, this was incredibly uncomfortable leaving you feeling quite trapped at what you saw.

That seems like two of the inherent drawbacks of the technology anyway, not just with Avatar.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 am

Fried Gold wrote:That seems like two of the inherent drawbacks of the technology anyway, not just with Avatar.


If that's true the Cameron hasn't worked particularly well for making it a 3D experience. Shouldn't he have taken that into consideration?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am

papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:That seems like two of the inherent drawbacks of the technology anyway, not just with Avatar.


If that's true the Cameron hasn't worked particularly well for making it a 3D experience. Shouldn't he have taken that into consideration?


NIEN NIEN NIEN NIEN NIEN!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sorry, I just ALWAYS wanted to say that, lately.)
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby SilentBobX on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 am

Completely unimpressed with the trailer. Looked like a bad PS3 cutscene/endscene. I'm not a hater by any stretch of the imagination, it just didn't work for me. If those who love it enjoy it, by all means, go forth.

Mahalo
Image
User avatar
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:52 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:That seems like two of the inherent drawbacks of the technology anyway, not just with Avatar.


If that's true the Cameron hasn't worked particularly well for making it a 3D experience. Shouldn't he have taken that into consideration?


NIEN NIEN NIEN NIEN NIEN!!!!!!!!!! (I'm sorry, I just ALWAYS wanted to say that, lately.)


Next time spell it correctly.
Image
User avatar
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA
 
Posts: 10626
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:28 am
Location: Port Angeles, WA

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:16 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:Next time spell it correctly.



Yes, it's INGLORIOUS BASTARDS


*titter*
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby ironic name on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:59 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:We need to rethink our lives and write more, Ironic!


I can't write for shit, I just draw and come up with really boss ideas!
you have a great signature!
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Well all righty, thoughts on the Avatar 15-minute IMAX preview:

In short I can say:

1) The story really seems pretty simple, it's obvious the movie will focus on the action elements and Cameron hopes to dazzle people with his operatic sci-fi/action spectacle
2) The weakest element appears to be the script and consequently the acting: stiff, on the cliched side... what few lines of dialogue there were in the preview were nearly all cringe-inducing. Acting-wise, Sam Worthington's blue love interest was the only actor that really got into her role, despite uttering one of the cheesiest lines I've heard in a long time.
3) Effects-wise, this is CG. It's very very nice CG, but I think what's jarring about it, besides all the bright colors, is that I was a bit confused as to what I was supposed to be watching: is this an animated film? A mixture of both animated and "real"? Is it supposed to be photoreal or stylized? 'cause it looks like the movie will have all of these things, whereas we're probably used to only one of any of those elements when watching a movie... like you're watching an animated film, you sort of adapt your mind to that... I don't know if I communicated that very well.
4) The direction is great though, Cameron knows how to shoot action in an effects-heavy environment.

So what kind of movie is Avatar going to be? As I said, don't hold high expectations for story or script, it will be a fairly impressive visual spectacle where lots of things are jammed into a given shot. The movie will definitely be action-heavy, but I get the feeling Cameron lost his "edge" a bit... probably because this will be aimed to include younger viewers.

The 3D was kind of cool, I think it enhanced the experience but as papa said it's hard to focus in different places, the screen sort of tells you what part of it you're supposed to look at.
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:The 3D was kind of cool, I think it enhanced the experience but as papa said it's hard to focus in different places, the screen sort of tells you what part of it you're supposed to look at.



Did you find it annoying that your eyes are being drawn to one part? I like to look around when I watch a film, the setting, the atmos etc...even in fight scenes in movies, so to have that removed and only visible when the director wants me to see it makes me feel constrained.
Last edited by papalazeru on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:13 pm

I did feel constrained, especially when each shot would have so many things you want to look at.

Also the preview started off with James Cameron, IN IMAX 3D :shock:, introducing things a bit... he says they only show material from the first half of the movie, BUT-

the preview mainly consists of scenes which are obviously from the first half, and then ends with a series of money-shots (the same ones as in the trailer). So I don't know if his claim of things being from the first half includes those last shots with all the big battles...
User avatar
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby tapehead on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Sounds like IMAX's format limitations coming to the fore, you have to have a pretty central position in the theatre to have a good viewing too - I wonder if it won't fare better in Real D. I know Cameron has this slated for Digital stereoscopic release, and it's more likely most people will see it in conventional cinemas with digital 3D upgrades than IMAX.
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:00 am

Watched the trailer on the Xbox this morning.

It was streaming & it wasn't in HD, so i obviously can't say much about the visuals.
It's not something i think i'll be seeing.
The trailer just didn't do anything for me.
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 am

tapehead wrote:Sounds like IMAX's format limitations coming to the fore, you have to have a pretty central position in the theatre to have a good viewing too - I wonder if it won't fare better in Real D. I know Cameron has this slated for Digital stereoscopic release, and it's more likely most people will see it in conventional cinemas with digital 3D upgrades than IMAX.



Quite central Tapes, not more that I'd say 30 degrees off centre - tops. And certain scenes were just a mess. If this is the case with all 3D cinemas, what's the point? Even computer monitors come with a bigger viewing angle.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby tapehead on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:09 am

papalazeru wrote:
tapehead wrote:Sounds like IMAX's format limitations coming to the fore, you have to have a pretty central position in the theatre to have a good viewing too - I wonder if it won't fare better in Real D. I know Cameron has this slated for Digital stereoscopic release, and it's more likely most people will see it in conventional cinemas with digital 3D upgrades than IMAX.



Quite central Tapes, not more that I'd say 30 degrees off centre - tops. And certain scenes were just a mess. If this is the case with all 3D cinemas, what's the point? Even computer monitors come with a bigger viewing angle.


Interesting - I dunno if you've watched alot of digital 3D content before; but I've found IMAX is something you can acclimatise to over repeated viewings, whereas Real D is much easier from the get go - IMAX is much more prone to the line-of sight phenomenon, and Real D tends to wear out my peripheral vision after about an hour or so (which I can counter by taking off my 3D glasses for a few moments).

It's kind of odd to me that Cameron would have set up such a large scale preview en masse in IMAX if this is the reaction people have been having (I've read a lot of similar responses elsewhere too).
User avatar
tapehead
BALLS!!!
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:13 pm
Location: OZ

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I keep watching the trailer. This movie looks really really good.
User avatar
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:00 am
Location: Gotham City

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby ironic name on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:don't hold high expectations for story or script

I never got through the first few pages of the script that was online,
but I have a weird feeling cameron is gonna kill off most of the na'avi.
and not titanic style, where the girl lives, but sam and zoe are charred carcasses and weaver gets all misty eyed end.

attention: spoiler blocks do not show up when replying even though I am only speculating you may not want to know.
User avatar
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale
 
Posts: 5695
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Maui on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:3) Effects-wise, this is CG. It's very very nice CG, but I think what's jarring about it, besides all the bright colors, is that I was a bit confused as to what I was supposed to be watching: is this an animated film? A mixture of both animated and "real"? Is it supposed to be photoreal or stylized? 'cause it looks like the movie will have all of these things, whereas we're probably used to only one of any of those elements when watching a movie... like you're watching an animated film, you sort of adapt your mind to that... I don't know if I communicated that very well.


Yup. There wasn't alot of CG mixed with live action in the 16 minute preview. I'm just curious how much of the film with be entirely CG, CG/live action, and if they can intelligently navigate between the two.
User avatar
Maui
WoWie
 
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby King Of Nowhere on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

This is a little off topic i guess, but it's something i've been wondering for a while...

To those who've seen the 3D footage & wear glasses, do you have to take your regular glasses off?
User avatar
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!
 
Posts: 6173
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:29 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:This is a little off topic i guess, but it's something i've been wondering for a while...

To those who've seen the 3D footage & wear glasses, do you have to take your regular glasses off?


Actually, you weren't the only one asking this. Ceebee was asking about this as well.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 am

papalazeru wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:This is a little off topic i guess, but it's something i've been wondering for a while...

To those who've seen the 3D footage & wear glasses, do you have to take your regular glasses off?


Actually, you weren't the only one asking this. Ceebee was asking about this as well.


But like, what happens when someone gets up in front of you to go to the toilet? Do you think they're part of the movie as well as consequence of the 3D effect? What if you keep the glasses on afterwards? Do you think that people in real life are movie people? What about porn 3D? How will you know if real life naked women and men are not part of the film?

It's a CONUNDRUM!!!!
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby papalazeru on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:02 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:This is a little off topic i guess, but it's something i've been wondering for a while...

To those who've seen the 3D footage & wear glasses, do you have to take your regular glasses off?


Actually, you weren't the only one asking this. Ceebee was asking about this as well.


But like, what happens when someone gets up in front of you to go to the toilet? Do you think they're part of the movie as well as consequence of the 3D effect? What if you keep the glasses on afterwards? Do you think that people in real life are movie people? What about porn 3D? How will you know if real life naked women and men are not part of the film?

It's a CONUNDRUM!!!!


Having glasses is a very serious question. Considering that there is a large portion of the viewing public who wear glasses - the 3D version would be blocking them from enjoying this movie in the form that Cameron wants us to see it.

That's a large portion and as yet, I'm still not sure whether these work with glasses or not, or only certain types of eye conditions.

If this is true then this obviously proves the Cameron is a bit racist towards people who wears glasses.

Nothing to worry about, just turn up to the movie, you'll be given a red arm band to wear, then you'll be taken on a train trip to the nearest 'Cinema' camps where we will stick you in a specifically built darkened room to experience the film in.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
User avatar
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!
 
Posts: 11475
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Wearing spectacles AND the polaroid goggles can be a bit problematic. I saw the 3D re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas like that and a) I had to keep rejigging the googles and b) it gave me headache.

The same did not happen with contact lenses. Hopefully they'll never try to make a polaroid contact lens for such purposes in my lifetime, else I'm farked for 3D movies.

I seem to think the percentage of spectacle wearing people in the Western world is something around the 30% mark.

On a semi-related note, I'm told by someone who went to a preview of Final Destination 3D that the 3D version of the Avatar trailer is a totally different experience to watching it in normalvision. Perhaps it the first film that's not at all intended to be seen in normalvision and why the trailer didn't seem that mindblowing.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13930
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
papalazeru wrote:
King Of Nowhere wrote:This is a little off topic i guess, but it's something i've been wondering for a while...

To those who've seen the 3D footage & wear glasses, do you have to take your regular glasses off?


Actually, you weren't the only one asking this. Ceebee was asking about this as well.


But like, what happens when someone gets up in front of you to go to the toilet? Do you think they're part of the movie as well as consequence of the 3D effect?



Nah. Interestingly enough they appear completely flat.

Like Paper Mario.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:14 am

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:52 pm

Then again, I thought that the chest waxing scene in The 40 Year Old Virgin was special FX CGI job as I didn't think it looked real so what do I or we all know.
So go fuck yourselves.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16617
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests