AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:36 pm

havocSchultz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the hitler thing was funny the first 90795048701945 times, but it's a bit played out now. that said, it seems silly to take offense. after all, if anything, it's making fun of the same people you're complaining about, the ones who are dissing the film before it's even come out, by having hitler parroting their lines.

i'm not very interested in avatar. i've liked cameron's films in the past, though i wouldn't put him in my list of must-see directors. i'm not going to be automatically interested in something just because it's made by him. so my feeling toward the film is disinterest until i see or hear something that grabs my interest. the description of the story didn't grab my interest. the trailer didn't grab my interest. the effects didn't grab my interest. i'm not going to shit all over the film because i have no expectations for it to begin with, but i'm also not going to get excited for it either just because someone tells me i should be or because it gets hyped to death ahead of time.

You should get excited for it...

who do you think you are? hitler?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby BuckyO'harre on Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 pm

New trailer in crap resolution.

You can see it in theaters this weekend, and it will be officially released to the net on the 29th.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Dookert on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Understood. Nice to see people still are replying to this thread. I don't agree with the haters though as far as story. You don't know what the in depth story will be like. I mean, was district 9 something revolutionary? When the guy is like "go with out me, ill hold them off!" and the prawn is like "I'm not leaving you!" or whatever the lines were...I almost spit my beer out it was so god damn cheesy. Almost ruined the whole thing for me.

Anyways, I'm not here to convince those who are already convinced it's mediocre. You'll trumpet that long after seeing the movie even if you secretly like it. The "small person/persons placed in a position of overwhelming adversity plot" is technically played out, but it can still make a fantastic movie. See Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypto. And to say the special effects aren't impressive just sounds a bit haughty. Watch it in 1080 on a flat screen. It's Cameron, even if the story blows, the fx will be good. The guy is the definition of meticulous and makes all of his fx, to quote him, with "a patina of reality". Basically I guess it means that shit makes sense in his world. Why something does what it does and looks the way it looks. And when has Weta failed to deliver astounding sfx?

Look at this excerpt from the New Yorker:

“That fuckin’ rocks!” Cameron called out in response to an image of a snarling maw of thin blue-veined tissue, the mouth of the pterodactyl-like banshee that Jake’s avatar domesticates for his ride. “Look at the gill-like membrane on the side of the mouth, its transmission of light, all the secondary color saturation on the tongue, and that maxilla bone. I love what you did with the translucence on the teeth, and the way the quadrate bone racks the teeth forward. It’s a sharky thing. As wacky as this creature is, it looks completely real. Maybe I’m getting high on my own supply.” He was practically out of breath.

This is the kind of stuff sfx people LIVE for. Think what you want, I might start making some pot brownies!
"How do I make the DVD play?"
"Press the Play button Dad"
"Oh"
-My dad learning the intricacies of the mystical DVD player that is so unlike a VCR
Dookert
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:38 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:the hitler thing was funny the first 90795048701945 times, but it's a bit played out now. that said, it seems silly to take offense. after all, if anything, it's making fun of the same people you're complaining about, the ones who are dissing the film before it's even come out, by having hitler parroting their lines.

i'm not very interested in avatar. i've liked cameron's films in the past, though i wouldn't put him in my list of must-see directors. i'm not going to be automatically interested in something just because it's made by him. so my feeling toward the film is disinterest until i see or hear something that grabs my interest. the description of the story didn't grab my interest. the trailer didn't grab my interest. the effects didn't grab my interest. i'm not going to shit all over the film because i have no expectations for it to begin with, but i'm also not going to get excited for it either just because someone tells me i should be or because it gets hyped to death ahead of time.

You should get excited for it...

who do you think you are? hitler?

Nein!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:16 pm

Dookert wrote:Understood. Nice to see people still are replying to this thread. I don't agree with the haters though as far as story. You don't know what the in depth story will be like. I mean, was district 9 something revolutionary? When the guy is like "go with out me, ill hold them off!" and the prawn is like "I'm not leaving you!" or whatever the lines were...I almost spit my beer out it was so god damn cheesy. Almost ruined the whole thing for me.

Anyways, I'm not here to convince those who are already convinced it's mediocre. You'll trumpet that long after seeing the movie even if you secretly like it. The "small person/persons placed in a position of overwhelming adversity plot" is technically played out, but it can still make a fantastic movie. See Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypto. And to say the special effects aren't impressive just sounds a bit haughty. Watch it in 1080 on a flat screen. It's Cameron, even if the story blows, the fx will be good. The guy is the definition of meticulous and makes all of his fx, to quote him, with "a patina of reality". Basically I guess it means that shit makes sense in his world. Why something does what it does and looks the way it looks. And when has Weta failed to deliver astounding sfx?

Look at this excerpt from the New Yorker:

“That fuckin’ rocks!” Cameron called out in response to an image of a snarling maw of thin blue-veined tissue, the mouth of the pterodactyl-like banshee that Jake’s avatar domesticates for his ride. “Look at the gill-like membrane on the side of the mouth, its transmission of light, all the secondary color saturation on the tongue, and that maxilla bone. I love what you did with the translucence on the teeth, and the way the quadrate bone racks the teeth forward. It’s a sharky thing. As wacky as this creature is, it looks completely real. Maybe I’m getting high on my own supply.” He was practically out of breath.

This is the kind of stuff sfx people LIVE for. Think what you want, I might start making some pot brownies!

I attended the fifteen minute IMAX 3D preview extravaganza, and my expectations were in check. Meaning that I wasn't waiting for the second coming of eyeball rape or whatnot, but besides the visuals I was not really smitten. That said, the film could still turn out good, and I think it could be worth seeing for the action and visual spectacle, but I have very low expectations when it comes to the story, script or acting.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Dookert on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:39 am

fair enough. I dont think any of cameron's films have ever been touted for their "acting" but we'll see.
"Oh"
-My dad learning the intricacies of the mystical DVD player that is so unlike a VCR
Dookert
GLIB

Postby papalazeru on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 am

Dookert wrote: It's Cameron, even if the story blows, the fx will be good.

You've seen Bay films right? He uses the same excuse as does a lot of hollywood.

If I go to this film and think of it purely as an effects movie, it might be cool but I'm still not seeing this 'innovation', it's 3D, it's people layered with Sfx....bindun, maybe not in the exact same way but we've all seen it before.

I was the first person on world radio, to say the BBC that the movie looks just like Fergully. I haven't had anyone disagree with me so far. Not to say Ferngully was a bad film but if that's the first thought running through my head when I was pumped to see the footage - there's a problem.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:39 pm

I completeley disagree with the things said about the acting or story about Cameron's stuff.

At the end of the day, all you guys banging on and on about he FX the FX the farking over jerking off about the FX good or bad, really bores me.

What makes Cameron's movies work, has always been primarily the acing and the story, the themes at play. Otherwise no state of the art FX would make these movies memorable.

Sigourney Weaver, Oscar nominated for Aliens, Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Kate Winslet Oscar nominated for Titanic, even Leonardo De Caprio, Jamie Lee Curtis Oscar nominated for True Lies, even Arnie doing his best, these are the things that make these movies stand out from others. Script wise, what a great scary adventure Cameron's pen gave us in Aliens, the mother daughter relationship, the internal struggle that was gong on INSIDE Ripley throughout, ladening the movie with it's emotion AND fear, the extended cut of The Abyss, giving reason why the storms were happening and how the Aliens were there to straighten us out, the love story that does actually come though in the end for he 2 leads, and who can forget the drowning and resurrection of Linsey or Bud's fall? 2 of the most grabbing scenes I've ever experienced for such a sci fi film. The first Terminator wasn't a great FX film or had great expensive pyrotechnics or stunts, but it works as one of Cameron's best 'cos Linda Hamilton was great in it and the script, though it's originality is debated, was rather ingenious - and again delivered a good love story.

I'll vouch that what has made any of Cameron's films lose their effect on me is no down to the FX but the humanity in them. T2 - best FX I've seen from Cameron - but by far - the worst acting. Really lets the film down.

You morons know nothing about what makes a good film - or how to make one.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:27 pm

I agree with Kirk. Of the "action directors" the acting in Cameron's films is usually a notch above others.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 pm

It's a fairly sorry state of affairs when such an opinion becmes the norm. It will only lead to a further downturn in quality of the mainstream movie.

We should all demand more from the "blockbusters". Having good VFX is not enough. It takes a solid story and some vision from the director to make it work, else the VFX (whether good or bad) are pointless.

I've not heard Cameron talk about much other than the tech involved with producing the film. It'll take more to persuade me about the other components and hopefully this new trailer will do so.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:22 am

Fried Gold wrote:

It's a fairly sorry state of affairs when such an opinion becmes the norm. It will only lead to a further downturn in quality of the mainstream movie.

We should all demand more from the "blockbusters". Having good VFX is not enough. It takes a solid story and some vision from the director to make it work, else the VFX (whether good or bad) are pointless.

I've not heard Cameron talk about much other than the tech involved with producing the film. It'll take more to persuade me about the other components and hopefully this new trailer will do so.

Totally agree. Although I liked the trailer and found it strangely reminiscent of classic French comic book art more than anything else.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Dookert on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:20 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

You didn't read any of my last posts dude. you took what I said out of context and then called it "a sorry state of affairs" . read my two previous posts, on page 8 and then 9 where I do nothing but DEFEND Cameron's previous writing..aka stories/plot whatever you want to call it. I was simply retorting against the malcontents who said that the fx in the tailers looked mediocre at best which is just pretentious. Cameron doesn't put out shitty special effects. that was my point
"Oh"
Dookert
GLIB

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Dookert wrote:Cameron doesn't put out shitty special effects. that was my point

You ever see Piranha 2:Electric Eel Boogaloo in Woolloomooloo?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Dookert on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Are you serious?. That was a low budget tits and ass screamer, not a high profile sci-fi flick. Point taken but you seem like a smart guy, judging from your 14 thousand plus posts on this forum....you know what I meant.
"Oh"
Dookert
GLIB

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Heheh, Kirk was just teasing man... welcome by the way, your passion is appreciated, I look forward to seeing more out of you 'round here!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Dookert wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:

Are you serious?. That was a low budget tits and ass screamer, not a high profile sci-fi flick. Point taken but you seem like a smart guy, judging from your 14 thousand plus posts on this forum....you know what I meant.

Of course I do. Thanks for at least talking to me, more than any of these gentlemen here do anymore, 14,000 plus poss or not.

Personally I think that whenever Cameron does a new movie, he shows us things we've never seen before and pushes the envelop of visuals further everytime. The Abyss water tentacle, blowing REAL bridges up, anything in T2, even Arnie's huge Oxface when playing thumb war with his terrified family in True Lies. The topless woman having her breasts suckled on by a Piranha in Piranha 2. Which is why I was asking in the first place I guess.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby travis-dane on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:09 pm

I trust Cameron, every movie he made so far was at least watchable. He is one of the best directors working today, he takes his time and makes epic movies.
His action scenes are always entertaining and he gets good performances out of his actors.
Since I dont see that much hype for Avatar(except for some internet geeks) and I think that shit like Transformers 2 was way more overhyped, I really look forward to seeing Avatar.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Dookert on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:00 am

Word Capt Kirk. The tentacle in The Abyss was kick ass. Yeah, I do feel like he's gonna have to have some real tricks up his sleeve in this one though. Computer generated visual effects are obviously the norm. However, how excited were you when you first saw Golum....I spell that right? It was amazing, especially to see how much better he looked in The Return of the King. Even in the two towers, when he has that multiple personality argument with himself on the tree trunk. Thats the kind of stuff I love. Or when he's talking to himself in the lake and they switch shots between his face and reflection. I'm really excited to see what the next step is in the form of photo realistic humanoid movement, facial expression etc.
"Oh"
Dookert
GLIB

Postby BuckyO'harre on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm

BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Looks interesting. The plot still seems pretty cliched/weaksauce, but with some of those images I can almost feel whatever Cameron did to work so extensively on this film. God help me, I might even go to a 3D showing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby papalazeru on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Ribbons wrote:Looks interesting. The plot still seems pretty cliched/weaksauce, but with some of those images I can almost feel whatever Cameron did to work so extensively on this film. God help me, I might even go to a 3D showing.

I agree with you, it does look interesting but as you confirmed, I haven't seen anything to back up anything other than a simple plot line.

I do enjoy Camerons work but nothing has really been outstanding in the way of script or story; it's just regurgitated really well.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 pm

No. Loved this. Had me thinking "Oh my God!" quite a bit. Love that all that FX blah blah is actually all wrapped up in what seems to be a very much an alive story, I'm getting that fight for survival feeling here that I expect the film to deliver. Looks like the film has finally arrived for me. Gonna go watch i for a second time later on.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 pm

the trailer looked pretty good, actually, and I am more positive now than before....looks to be at least a decent saturday afternoon matinee flick

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 am

Just watched it again, twice. I'm sorry but people need to lighten up. I think this looks ****ing brilliant.

Head... too much... in... pain... form hard... computer work.... to elaborate though!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 am

That trailer made me spooge so much that I am now a empty sack, and am finding it difficult to type with my flaccid sock like fingers... Although, right at the end, they did seem to be going on about freeing IRELAND :shock: They'll be on about Tibet next...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:15 am

A lot of Vietnam undertones there, or Alien similarities.

Or going into the Middle East for oil, taking over etc.

I like it. A lot.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:33 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I like it. A lot.

I like it more! Goddamn you.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:34 am

well, i'm far, far from wowed. first thing, the navi design, i don't really care for it. i think the one thing in particular that bugs me is their eyes seem kinda far apart. it's just not a design that makes me think, 'i want to see a world full of these creatures for 2 1/2 hours'. and in motion, or in closeup, they certainly aren't photorealistic. those big fx scenes look like scenes from an animated film to me... maybe a really good CG animated film, but still they look animated, not photo-real. this is where all that hype comes in. to me, this honestly doesn't look any more impressive than any number of CG-based fx films that have come out in the past decade. even if it's a slight improvement when the final product comes out, that's hardly enough to meet or justify the expectations that have been heaped on this thing. if it was all fanboy premature ejaculation based on cameron's past work, then i'd say it's a bit unfair, but the hype started with cameron and his people, so i can't give him a pass on that. the only thing i can think is, cameron hasn't gone to see an actual movie since titanic was in theaters, and so he thinks this is a massive improvement because he's judging against films from the late 90s.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:39 am

Have you seen the flick? No. Me and Kirk have, in our dreams. IT WAS FORETOLD.

Just relax and let your mind go blank.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:33 am

TheBaxter wrote:the only thing i can think is, cameron hasn't gone to see an actual movie since titanic was in theaters, and so he thinks this is a massive improvement because he's judging against films from the late 90s.

Well, he also produced Solaris. But compared to that movie, everything seems great.

Take that Solaris!

[/kind of liked Solaris]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:48 am

TheBaxter wrote:well, i'm far, far from wowed. first thing, the navi design, i don't really care for it. i think the one thing in particular that bugs me is their eyes seem kinda far apart. it's just not a design that makes me think, 'i want to see a world full of these creatures for 2 1/2 hours'. and in motion, or in closeup, they certainly aren't photorealistic. those big fx scenes look like scenes from an animated film to me... maybe a really good CG animated film, but still they look animated, not photo-real.

I think this is true of the new trailer, which has less detail and a lot more surface blur and dithering than the previous teaser. I'm putting it down to a poor transcode rather than how the finished product will look however.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:26 am

tapehead wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:well, i'm far, far from wowed. first thing, the navi design, i don't really care for it. i think the one thing in particular that bugs me is their eyes seem kinda far apart. it's just not a design that makes me think, 'i want to see a world full of these creatures for 2 1/2 hours'. and in motion, or in closeup, they certainly aren't photorealistic. those big fx scenes look like scenes from an animated film to me... maybe a really good CG animated film, but still they look animated, not photo-real.

I think this is true of the new trailer, which has less detail and a lot more surface blur and dithering than the previous teaser. I'm putting it down to a poor transcode rather than how the finished product will look however.

I wouldn't it still looked cartoony on the big screen but I kinda think that's the point, it's a fantasy world. Of course, it's nowhere near as realistic as the world in the Dark Crystal.

papalazeru

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:15 am

Weirdly I like that quite a bit more than the first trailer even though it just confirmed it was going to be Dances With Ferngully And Bad Dialogue, but I thought the Na'vi looked photo-real in some shots and that was breathtaking by itself, the eco-design and colour palette is exquisitely lush and the action scenes look stunning if not revolutionary. Perhaps if Cameron can just keep a furious forward momentum after the initial "Ooh pretty" wears off the film will be an adrenalin pumping visual feast which is more than enough to keep me happy if it's of a really high quality.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:18 am

tapehead wrote:

it's not unusual for hollywood to use unfinished or less than stellar fx in a trailer. but man, you'd think when the fx are one of the primary selling points of the film, they'd try to make them look better than that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby tapehead on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:51 am

They do look a bit cartoony and rubbery - I mean it might work in HD 3D, but I for one don't think this movie will be able to rely on fx alone.

Having said that the story is interesting, and after this trailer I think I'd rather not hear any more details or spoilers, as it kind of feels like this one gives us a thumbnail of the first hour, or more.
I'm hoping the Apple version of the trailer looks better.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 am

tapehead wrote:They do look a bit cartoony and rubbery - I mean it might work in HD 3D, but I for one don't think this movie will be able to rely on fx alone. .

From the advanced 3D preview, It doesn't.

It does however control and limit what you see with is narrow depth of field as well which means it's not as lush as it is in 2D.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 am

Mizwerable gentlemen.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:49 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Mizwerable gentlemen.

Really do want it to be good Kirks, and Cameron is an awesome storyteller.

And, after the recent set of blockbusters we had that perpetually seemed to let us down, I'm not building this one up.

The only film that's blown me away this year has been District 9 and that's it so far.

I want to be blown away by this, the SFX haven't done that much for me so I'm left waiting for the story and I've hardly got any of that.

The lower my standards, the greater I'll be shocked.

papalazeru

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:16 am

Hmm, actually guys you're right.

After the 2382th watch of this trailer, I can see the flaws. The shot of the female Avatar when she looks to the screen and her eyes are all so brightly yellow coloured and she's emoting with her mouth wide open? Well if you look in the tiny little corner of the screen, 123,53 pixels across and 1236 pixels up, you can see a tiny leaf. It moves a little. I know it's just a twitch, but there is no wind that you can see in shot (another flaw in the trailer, that you can't see the wind when it blows), so why is it moving? You think that Cameron master of all he surveys, King of the World, grabber of Shark tails as he's so brave, shagger of Linda Hamilton (now that takes bravery, but mostly madness) would have paid attention to such things and delivered a real high standard 4th dimension of FX that not even GOD could make up!

Forfuxake!!

This film gets a big minus 23.43 score average on the richter scale, so slayeth the Zone Board.

This film is gonna win the ultimate Razzie. No fucking WAY I'm downloading this.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Hmm, actually guys you're right.

After the 2382th watch of this trailer, I can see the flaws. The shot of the female Avatar when she looks to the screen and her eyes are all so brightly yellow coloured and she's emoting with her mouth wide open? Well if you look in the tiny little corner of the screen, 123,53 pixels across and 1236 pixels up, you can see a tiny leaf. It moves a little. I know it's just a twitch, but there is no wind that you can see in shot (another flaw in the trailer, that you can't see the wind when it blows), so why is it moving? You think that Cameron master of all he surveys, King of the World, grabber of Shark tails as he's so brave, shagger of Linda Hamilton (now that takes bravery, but mostly madness) would have paid attention to such things and delivered a real high standard 4th dimension of FX that not even GOD could make up!

Forfuxake!!

This film gets a big minus 23.43 score average on the richter scale, so slayeth the Zone Board.

This film is gonna win the ultimate Razzie. No fucking WAY I'm downloading this.

Already got the work print with no special effects....it's very boring.

papalazeru

Postby Nachokoolaid on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Forfuxake!!

With no special effects? Is that the cut that's a minute and 12 seconds long?
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby papalazeru on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Yeah, it starts off with a guy in a wheelchair, then from what I can see, it goes green, and a green man in a green suit comes on. You can hear voices with a lot of echo but it's just all green.

Pretty impressive if you like green.

papalazeru

Postby Peven on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:33 pm

the trailer looks better to me than i thought it would considering the weak story synopsis I had read previous, and i think if the movie fails it will be due more to Cameron's choice of source material than his film-making ability. why quality material that is written by proven quality authors is left unmined while graphic novel type fare with nothing more than a small niche audience gets chance after chance and fails is beyond me. time to stop blaming the studio, the director, etc, and start considering the source material when wondering why we have been disappointed in fx/fantasy/sci-fi/blockbuster flicks.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Nachokoolaid wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Forfuxake!!

IPAMPILASH!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Nachokoolaid on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:49 pm

Here's a video that sort of breaks down the trailer. There are some minor spoilers if you know nothing of the story at all.

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/800318/avatar/videos/avatar_trl2_rewind_103009.html
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Sodacake on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 pm

I'm trying to contain my excitement for this movie but all I have to say about the new trailer is Sam Worthington still needs to work on his fucking accent. Jesus christ how hard is it for him to get it right?
Sodacake
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:25 pm

So now I'm back on a proper computer again, I've seen the new trailer.

Now that's more like it. There is some fairly unbelievable stuff going on there. That first teaser probably wasn't a good idea, it didn't do Avatar many favours.

Two issues:
1. Good trailer music often makes for a good trailer. Would the same footage have the same impact with crap music.
2. I think we can assume that the story isn't going to be the most amazing thing about the film. Hopefully the acting and visuals will ramp things up.

And here is a mildly interesting look at both trailers, comparing the visuals from like-for-like shots - http://vimeo.com/7346130
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Still not blown away with anything I've seen. Looks like a fun romp, with some cool graphics and whatnot, but from what I can glean from these trailers, the story line is thin and rehashed (everyone mentions the Dances with Wolves similarities, but to me this screams Ewoks vs. At-Ats!).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby papalazeru on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:05 pm

so sorry wrote:Still not blown away with anything I've seen. Looks like a fun romp, with some cool graphics and whatnot, but from what I can glean from these trailers, the story line is thin and rehashed (everyone mentions the Dances with Wolves similarities, but to me this screams Ewoks vs. At-Ats!).

Ferngully.

I'm more impressed with the new trailer, there's a little more story development but as you say, it's a typical story. I think the devil will be in the details so the acting had better be top notch.

Again, as I said, Cameron is great at bringing lots of good factors together to make a great film but none on it's own is particularly outstanding.

papalazeru

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:23 pm

so sorry wrote:Still not blown away with anything I've seen. Looks like a fun romp, with some cool graphics and whatnot, but from what I can glean from these trailers, the story line is thin and rehashed (everyone mentions the Dances with Wolves similarities, but to me this screams Ewoks vs. At-Ats!).

i'd go more with gungans vs. battle-droids. squeaky-clean plasticky cgi instead of midgets in teddy bear suits.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion