AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

Postby The Todd on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Marksman230591 wrote:Firstly, Todd, James Cameron is not George Lucas. George only directed one classic film and that was it.

Actually, Lucas directed 3 classic films. THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars. Since The Todd would say that James Cameron directed 2 classic films, The Terminator and Aliens, that puts Lucas ahead 3-2.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 pm

For those complaining that Avatar didn't focus enough on the Na'vi, I don't think it was intended to. This was Jake's story. I think the sequel will focus much more on the the Na'vi.

And I buy Jake and Neyteri's relationship over the one in Titanic any day. This one felt much less forced.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:51 am

Yeah, I definitely felt a lot more for Jake and Uhura than I did for Jack and Rose. I liked them more and they both kicked large amounts of ass and were generally sexy even as cat folks.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby HeadlessCrane on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:43 am

The Todd,

Avatar in 3D is not a gimmick. To call it a gimmick is like calling a sculpture a gimmick. A 2D film is a moving picture. Avatar in 3D is a moving sculpture.

I heard a story once about a person who was apart of a remote tribe that was shown a picture of a horse and didn't recognize that it was a horse even though he was around horses his entire life. He said that he didn't recognize it as a horse because he could not walk around it to 'see' it. Humans don't actually see in 2D. We see in 3D. In truth... if anything is a gimmick it would be 2D. 3D is how we see in life. And for the first time 3D is how you see in the film. You truly see the film as if it were seeing in life. With the only exception being that you cannot choose what to focus on. Which takes a little bit to get used to but once you do it's just the experience of 'seeing'.

To say that there is not a whole other worthy experience watching Avatar in 3D is like saying that there is not a difference between a picture and a sculpture or between seeing with one eye or two eyes. It IS a whole other worthy experience.

I felt like I was on safari in Pandora watching this film. Like I was truly transported. Funny... I want to say that it was like a dream. Bit of an in-movie joke there because being in the Avatar is like being in a dream and they are called Dream Walkers by the Na'Vi.

I make 3D video games for a living. I can't WAIT to make truly 3D games. Fuck. I don't even care about making the game to sell. I just want to create a world and experience it in 3D. It's literally another dimension of sensing.

It does have an effect on your emotionally too... not just the way it makes you really 'see' the beautiful world of Pandora... but the way you feel like you are right there with the characters in the film experiencing what they are experiencing. In a way I've never experienced in 2D.

As for the story... to those saying it is somehow a weak story... no it is not a weak story... it's a classical romantic adventure... it's not weak in any way... honestly I can't help but think that whoever thinks that it is is just simply to wise for their own good... the story is poetic mythology... it touches humans... maybe not some highly critical humans... but most humans.

And as for the dialog... I'm honestly surprised to hear such simple minded criticism of the dialogue. Think about who the story is about. Marines and science nerds talking to aliens who are not exactly english lit majors. What do you think the conversations would sound like? Cameron chooses to go for a earthy realistic style of dialogue. And having been around soldiers and scientists and yes even some peoples who were probably inspiration for the Na'Vi... I'd say he nailed the dialogue... with all the familiar touches to make these people living 150 years in the future relate to the 99% of people who watch this film. That's called making a film with dialogue that is natural and connects with the audience.

I'm a computer scientist and an artist and this film touched my heart and inspired my imagination. Not just because it is a stunningly beautiful one of a kind feast of visual art but because the story is such a powerful relatable human story about character you feel very strong feelings toward.

Maybe the hard hearted won't feel the same way I do about this film. But the word of mouth on this film is phenomenal and that makes me feel so good about the human race. This film is almost a test... if it's received well then the minds and hearts of the people in this world are in a very good place for our future. I honestly can't say this about any other film I've ever seen.
HeadlessCrane
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am

Dialogue - an a lot of other stuff going on with the Navi, like them chanting around the God Tree - well it DOES get very close to unintended hilarity - BUT at that same time, in an odd way, gets nowhere close to crossing the dramatic line into such hilarity, if you get my drift. What I mean is that Cameron did approach the characters and their behavior and presentation with a lot of respect, restraint and even intelligence. He knew how far to step back and not overindulge or to be too in love with his characters, and therefore knew where to stop.

I kept thinking that many other directors making this film or in depicting other such environments that they felt so passionately about could easily have resulted in too many laugh out loud moments, Attack of the Clones springs to mind, etc.

So again, what gives this movie so much redeeming credit is that the story telling toed that respectful line so well.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:09 am

The Todd wrote:
Marksman230591 wrote:Firstly, Todd, James Cameron is not George Lucas. George only directed one classic film and that was it.

Actually, Lucas directed 3 classic films. THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars. Since The Todd would say that James Cameron directed 2 classic films, The Terminator and Aliens, that puts Lucas ahead 3-2.

Wrong Todd, you forgot Piranha II. Cameron 3, Lucas 3.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Todd on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:28 pm

so sorry wrote:
The Todd wrote:

Touche. The Todd stands corrected.
i reject your reality and substitute my own
The Todd
AIRWOLF

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:36 pm

The Todd wrote:
so sorry wrote:
The Todd wrote:

Touche. The Todd stands corrected.

I thought it was spelled with a D.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Vicar on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Match point to Tyrone...... :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:22 pm

So the drop off for weekend #2...

...3%

Wow.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Normally they go Up though?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:29 pm

What AVATAR has done this second weekend at the BO is nothing short of remarkable. The only film with a better second weekend was The Dark Knight, which opened with $158 million.

I mean, there was a minimal drop off. It was almost nonexistent. Even the best reviewed genre films suffer a 50% drop off. Had AVATAR suffered even a 40% drop off, people would have been impressed. But a 3% drop? If you know anything about Box Office numbers, you are in awe of this. ESPECIALLY, considering there were two new films competing with it. This is something special. Cameron is truly the King of the World.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:38 pm

The last time I checked a Box Office weekend Christmas period (Rocky Balboa's time), films generally or mostly went UP in % takings. Some films like, 40% even? Basically films go UP at Christmas I believe, so for Avatar to go down 3%, not sure if it's THAT great news for this time of the year. EDIT. Ah just checked the box office, yeah not many did actually go up a lot, many that did were due to increased screenings.

Anyway, Av's doing well, so all is well.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 pm

According to Boxofficemojo, Avatar is now number one in the "DISABILITY - PARAPLEGIC / QUADRIPLEGIC" genre.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:58 pm

I don't think it's common for films that open big ($50 million +) to have huge increases the following week, Christmas or no. For a genre film to only fall 3% from a big opening is surely something worth noting. The Blind Side and Invictus are really the only films that saw an increase in business over the Christmas weekend. The other films that show a big jump are mostly due to their number of screens jumping as well (like Up in the Air and Nine).

I'm going to try to see Avatar again tomorrow, in 3-D. I don't know that the story will go down any better the second time around, but maybe the visceral experience of the movie will make up for it.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:According to Boxofficemojo, Avatar is now number one in the "DISABILITY - PARAPLEGIC / QUADRIPLEGIC" genre.

And #1 in the white guilt demographic

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Fried Gold wrote:According to Boxofficemojo, Avatar is now number one in the "DISABILITY - PARAPLEGIC / QUADRIPLEGIC" genre.

Who knew that was a genre?

Yay Avatar! Stick it to Million Dollar Baby!!!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Yeah but you can bet that the BO takings for Avatar in the Quad genre were affected by REAL Quads protesting that a Quad actor WASN'T cast in Sam I HAVE LEGS! I HAVE LEGS!! Worthington's part instead.

These sods that cost Tom Cruise his Oscar for Born on the Fourth of July. THEY'RE to blame for the crappy 3% drop!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:37 pm

RogueScribner wrote:

Yeah. My local Blockbuster is going to have to make room in it's disability genre section when the DVD is released.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:55 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

Yeah. My local Blockbuster is going to have to make room in it's disability genre section when the DVD is released.

Right next to Kung Fu Flid and Revenge of Billy the Kid
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I went and saw this for a second time yesterday.
I was tired as hell and kept nodding off during the beginning stuff.
I didn't really wake up until the tree was blown up.
After that I enjoyed it and the adrenaline it brought out.

As much as I enjoy this film I honestly don't think it's something I'd watch over and over again.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:08 am

Fried Gold wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:

Daniel Day Lewis in MY LEFT FOOT finally gets some company.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 am

HAHA, the movie is definitely overhyped.

It is not a gamechanger in anything, not even 3-d cinema... it adds perhaps some technological advancement but hell, so have lots of other movies and we never called them "gamechangers."

The story and acting were not as bad as I feared, I have to say that 15-minute preview didn't do the final product any justice.

But the main selling point of this film is that it's a showcase for cutting edge 3-d cinema. The weakest elements are serviceable, so nothing is really bad with the film. Which might be part of the problem, had Cameron taken a few more risks we might've ended up with a great film, even when watching in 2-d.

Besides the operatic effects work, the best part is Zoe Saldana: she was great in the preview and even greater in the film.

So I wouldn't call the 3-d a gimmick per se, but the film was made to be watched in that format. Otherwise I'd say don't bother.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 am

I agree that the film was made for 3D. Cameron really staged some great shots that take advantage of the 3D (and I don't mean the type that poke you in the eyeball). It also was the first 3D film that I remember that didn't treat its audience like a bunch of retards. I didn't feel like this was shot for a "wow" factor. It just felt like a means to make us part of this world, and isn't that every filmmakers goal?

But I disagree with most everything else you said. I thought this was " a gamechanger" as much as any film can be these days. This film gave me a sense of being physically drained when I left the theater, much like viewing a live theatrical performance. It was able to do that, when no other film had before. I can't really explain that, but I certainly want to experience it again. Will it completely change film to the point where every film is made in a completely new way that totally blows our balls off? Of course not. There are plenty of filmmakers and studios who are going to take the lazy way out and get the quick buck. But will this influence other filmmakers to push the boundaries of what they're capable of? Certainly. I promise you'll see other big budget films aping some of what Cameron has done here (probably John Carter of Mars, firstly). But I think that's a good thing, to a certain degree.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:50 am

I watched this earlier this evening. I enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun, and thats what it should be. While I didnt see it in 3D, I still found the FX grand. The story was what it should be, and the action of grand. As I've described, this is a film that the 9 year old in me would flip out over.

While I dont think that there was any Eyeball rape, the film firmly established a wonderful world that only Square Enix have dared to dream of. It gives me hope for a full on Final Fantasy 7 film one day.

Not best movie of the year, and I think that waiting 12 years since Cameron stated that he was going to make this flick has dampened any mega enthusiasm, its still a very good film that needs to be seen on the big screen

On a side note... I'd rather not have a squeal to this film. It works fine as a nice self contained film. Any other further adventures would probably feel tacked on a little, kinda like Empire and Jedi or the other two pirates films or the Matrix Sequels. I'm sure that there are more stories to tell, and like those other movies I mentioned, they could be good, I just dont feel that there a hell of a lot more to explore in this universe.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Nachokoolaid on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 am

bastard_robo wrote:I watched this earlier this evening. I enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun, and thats what it should be. While I didnt see it in 3D, I still found the FX grand. The story was what it should be, and the action of grand. As I've described, this is a film that the 9 year old in me would flip out over.

While I dont think that there was any Eyeball rape, the film firmly established a wonderful world that only Square Enix have dared to dream of. It gives me hope for a full on Final Fantasy 7 film one day.

Not best movie of the year, and I think that waiting 12 years since Cameron stated that he was going to make this flick has dampened any mega enthusiasm, its still a very good film that needs to be seen on the big screen

On a side note... I'd rather not have a squeal to this film. It works fine as a nice self contained film. Any other further adventures would probably feel tacked on a little, kinda like Empire and Jedi or the other two pirates films or the Matrix Sequels. I'm sure that there are more stories to tell, and like those other movies I mentioned, they could be good, I just dont feel that there a hell of a lot more to explore in this universe.

I agree with you about the Matrix films, but are you telling me you would be fine if Yoda never existed!?!
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:It is not a gamechanger in anything, not even 3-d cinema... it adds perhaps some technological advancement but hell, so have lots of other movies and we never called them "gamechangers."
(snip)
But the main selling point of this film is that it's a showcase for cutting edge 3-d cinema.

The 3D is overhyped, and if that's the main selling point, then it's the wrong one.

To me, the real gamechanger was the motion capture. This is not your daddy's motion capture. This is not Polar Express. At no point during Avatar did I wince at the uncanny valley effect previous mocap has given me. I thought I was watching real actors in blue makeup, until you see scenes in which they're standing next to humans and you realize they're ten feet tall and you can't do THAT with makeup! They're digital creations based on the performances of real actors, and THIS TIME IT WORKED!
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Cameron's greatest accomplishment in this movie is injecting emotion into CGI eyes. Totally well done. Did anyone else think the movie was Dances with Wolves with blue aliens?
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah but not that there's anything wrong with tha.... WTF!? BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAGLAGGLUGGLUGGAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How bloody excellent is that sig of yours, Ret?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:12 pm

BTW, the weekend ACTUALS put AVATAR half a million more than was estimated. Making it, in fact, the #1 second weekend of all time surpassing The Dark Knight.

Impressive feat.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:BTW, the weekend ACTUALS put AVATAR half a million more than was estimated. Making it, in fact, the #1 second weekend of all time surpassing The Dark Knight.

Impressive feat.

An impressive feat? ....with the worlds biggest hype behind it.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 pm

papalazeru wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:BTW, the weekend ACTUALS put AVATAR half a million more than was estimated. Making it, in fact, the #1 second weekend of all time surpassing The Dark Knight.

Impressive feat.

An impressive feat? ....with the worlds biggest hype behind it.

It is absolutely an impressive feat. The actual second weekend gross dropped off a mere 1.9% from the opening weekend. That does not happen. Not for a blockbuster genre film. This is beyond hype. This is a full fledged phenomenon.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:16 pm

minstrel wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:It is not a gamechanger in anything, not even 3-d cinema... it adds perhaps some technological advancement but hell, so have lots of other movies and we never called them "gamechangers."
(snip)
But the main selling point of this film is that it's a showcase for cutting edge 3-d cinema.

The 3D is overhyped, and if that's the main selling point, then it's the wrong one.

Avatar (along with Pixar's Up actually) have both done something new with the "3D" tech this year.

Before these two, most films solely used the stereo visuals to have lots of pointy things coming out the screen. This is gimmicky and short-term and many (including Robert Zemeckis) seems to be content with going that route.

Avatar and Up have started to use the stereoscopic visuals, I think, in that same way directors use colour, light, shapes, shadows and sound to influence the viewer. I've read about one example in Avatar being that there is a much greater perception of field depth involved with shots of Navi and Jake, but a much flatter field when dealing with the hoomons.

If it's going to be a "gamechanger" that's how it needs to be used.

(It also shouldn't cost the viewer an arm and a leg to see a 3D film)

And yes, the film didn't suffer from the dead-eyes of the uncanny valley.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 am

I went to this place called "The Theatre" the other day. FUCKING HELL!11 It woz in 3D!!!11 My eyes!11 I didn't even get a headache and the effects were wild!11 Theatre FTW!11 I have never seen anything like it, it was like walking down the street... well, sitting on the street. MY EYES!!1
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:Cameron's greatest accomplishment in this movie is injecting emotion into CGI eyes. Totally well done. Did anyone else think the movie was Dances with Wolves with blue aliens?

Avatar reminded me more of A Man Called Horse, if anything. That was about Richard Harris being attacked by a tribe, going through their rites of passage, joining them, then leading them in a fight against the whiteys in a big fuck-off battle at the end.

Point being, it's a plot vague enough for more than one rendition.

If you want to blame Avatar for plot thievery, read this plot synopsis for a 1957 story called Call Me Joe?. It's pretty damning.

Like Avatar, Call Me Joe centers on a paraplegic — Ed Anglesey — who telepathically connects with an artificially created life form in order to explore a harsh planet (in this case, Jupiter). Anglesey, like Avatar’s Jake Sully, revels in the freedom and strength of his artificial created body, battles predators on the surface of Jupiter, and gradually goes native as he spends more time connected to his artificial body.

Could be another Harlan Ellison/Terminator suit all over again. Although I'm pretty sure Harlan's got some photos of a couple of D.A's in bed with underrage prostitutes, because he's practically sued every other person on the planet and gotten away with it.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Seppuku wrote:If you want to damn Avatar for plot thievery, read this plot synopsis for a 1957 story called Call Me Joe?. It's pretty damning.

Like Avatar, Call Me Joe centers on a paraplegic — Ed Anglesey — who telepathically connects with an artificially created life form in order to explore a harsh planet (in this case, Jupiter). Anglesey, like Avatar’s Jake Sully, revels in the freedom and strength of his artificial created body, battles predators on the surface of Jupiter, and gradually goes native as he spends more time connected to his artificial body.

I had read the same thing somewhere and then couldn't find it again to post. Makes Avatar sound like a complete rip-off.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Hahahaa to the DA thing. Bohoohooo to the Joe thing. At least Cameron could have said it was based on that novel or something?

Bloody 'ell I'm still waiting for Cameron to pay me a couple of quid for me to keep my mouth shut about the sci-fi story I wrote which he stole and turned into Avatar.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Seppuku wrote:
Retardo_Montalban wrote:Cameron's greatest accomplishment in this movie is injecting emotion into CGI eyes. Totally well done. Did anyone else think the movie was Dances with Wolves with blue aliens?

Avatar reminded me more of A Man Called Horse, if anything. That was about Richard Harris being attacked by a tribe, going through their rites of passage, joining them, then leading them in a fight against the whiteys in a big fuck-off battle at the end.

Point being, it's a plot vague enough for more than one rendition.

If you want to blame Avatar for plot thievery, read this plot synopsis for a 1957 story called Call Me Joe?. It's pretty damning.

Could be another Harlan Ellison/Terminator suit all over again. Although I'm pretty sure Harlan's got some photos of a couple of D.A's in bed with underrage prostitutes, because he's practically sued every other person on the planet and gotten away with it.

I don't think there's a problem with Dances with Wolves with blue Aliens. Magnificent 7 is awesome and its just 7 Samurai with cowboys. I just thought Kevin Costner was finally getting his dues.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:16 am

Seppuku wrote:Like Avatar, Call Me Joe centers on a paraplegic — Ed Anglesey — who telepathically connects with an artificially created life form in order to explore a harsh planet (in this case, Jupiter). Anglesey, like Avatar’s Jake Sully, revels in the freedom and strength of his artificial created body, battles predators on the surface of Jupiter, and gradually goes native as he spends more time connected to his artificial body.

Wow. There's homage and then there's outright theft. Sure as hell sounds like Mr. Cameron should be looking down the barrel of a lawsuit, although the wonderful Poul Anderson passed on in 2001. Perhaps his old pal Harlan Ellison can run the law suit for him, cause he's nailed Cameron before and nobody sues better than Ellison..... The fact that Cameron mentions several influence on Avatar, but NOT Anderson, seems like he trying to hide something. Good luck. Science Fiction readers have long memories, pal.
The Vicar

Postby Bloo on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 am

I'd laugh if Harlan sued Cameron again and won, I love that crazy bastard
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 am

As much as I love Avatar and the idea that Cameron came up with it all himself, he damn well SHOULD give credit, kudos and MONEY to those concerned with Joe. Them give me money too for stealing my same theme.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Well, I'll say this for Avatar - what it lacks in original material ( see above discussion ) it makes up for in sheer cinematic beauty. Simply gorgeous, like some Dali-esque painters madness given form. Loved seeing Sig Weaver working for Cameron again ( and the tip of the hat to Alien when she kept yapping at somebody named Parker). Stephen Lang turned in a very nice performance as Colonel Kill Them All. Did not know my man Wes Studi was in this, but I recognized his voice immediately. Did not know the Na'vi would turn out to be so blatantly American Indian, but gosh were they ever. Considering my sentiments have always been with said Native Americans, I expected to get lost in Avatar far more than I did. I got lost in the beauty of that world, but otherwise not so much. As a visual, 3D ( must be seen in 3D - must) treat it deserves to be applauded. But I never got that emotional payoff I was hoping for simply because, other than JakeSully's girlfriend, I never really got very involved with the characters till far too late in the proceedings, when the shit starts rolling downhill. And that's a shame.
I'll likely see it again, only because I loved getting lost in that world and the little touches of wonder in it - but I doubt if the characters will grow on me any more than they already had. Maybe they will. I'm kind of hoping so.
But I have my doubts.
And that's a goddamned shame.
The Vicar

Postby travis-dane on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:46 pm

So, I went out to see AVATAR today, but it was sold out! The whole fucking day! In a Multiplex where it plays on four screens! On fucking Wednesday.
man I need to see this.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 am

I still think Cameron should get sued by the makers of Fern Gully.

Saw it in theaters today and I enjoyed it but in some ways I echo the sentiments of The Todd (even though my sentiments have more value by the sheer fact that I've actually seen the thing :twisted: )

I actually appreciate that Cameron wanted to make this an "event movie" or whatever. I mean, it definitely was a unique theater going experience. But that alone isn't enough to make is a great movie. I couldn't even get entirely swept away just because the story was so weak at times.

Honestly when I was watching it I kept flashing to Aliens and doing this compare and contrast thing. I think Sam Worthington does fine but he's not the kind of action hero like Ripley I would put on a poster on my bedroom wall, for example. I guess idol-worship is maybe a little much to expect but this is James Cameron so he brought it on himself. If kids had posters of the Terminator and Ripley on their walls then I expect kids these days to put up Jake Sulley...but I just don't see that happening. Also they have those motion control robot deals that they used to move equipment in Aliens, but this time it's the bad guy that's using it against the ones you're supposed to root for. They even had Sigourney in this movie but she didn't jump on in and say "Get away from her you bitch!" So I guess I was confused by the whole thing. As Sepp pointed out Giovanni Ribisi was playing the same corporate asshole and then Michelle Rodriguez is sort of a Jeanette Goldstein redux, no? Not to say all tough-talking Latina chicks are indistinguishable.

Anyway I felt Cameron was re-using a lot of his old ideas, but with large blue humanoid aliens thrown in. As everyone has acknowledged though said blue humanoids are quite an achievement in effects and generally the action was top notch.

(By the way anyone else think that cheesy ass song that played over the credits sounded suspiciously like that Celine Dion one from Titanic? Just saying.)
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:17 am

DaleTremont wrote:(By the way anyone else think that cheesy ass song that played over the credits sounded suspiciously like that Celine Dion one from Titanic? Just saying.)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! CELINE ORION!!!!!!11111111

And, this week, in behind the scenes we see the evolution of the Smurf.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 am

magicmonkey wrote:And, this week, in behind the scenes we see the evolution of the Smurf.

lol.

But you're right. It all started with Smurfette, that skank.

DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:41 am

DaleTremont wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:And, this week, in behind the scenes we see the evolution of the Smurf.

Woah! :shock: This scene from Slacker is suddenly making a scary amount of sense right now.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby minstrel on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:10 pm

I see a lot of people here, once again, complaining that the story of Avatar isn't original or necessarily particularly strong, or that the characters are cardboard or that the acting is weak, and they get upset that others (like me, for instance) are calling this film a "game changer".

One point that I haven't seen brought up in this discussion is one of the reasons this film IS a game changer. What Cameron has done with Avatar is more than simply making a movie. He did what Kubrick did with 2001, and what Lucas did with Star Wars: He changed the audience for films. From Avatar on, anybody buying a ticket to a sci-fi or fantasy film has heightened expectations. Just like the special effects guys who worked on Meteor (1979) found themselves second-raters after Star Wars, just like Ray Harryhausen's career ended with Clash of the Titans because his work was suddenly passe, everybody making sci-fi or fantasy now is doing it in the context of Avatar. What would have dazzled the audience before Avatar will leave them cold after Avatar. That's one of the things that makes this film a game changer. The big filmmakers out there know this. The producers and the studio executives know this. What was going to be "good enough" in 2007 or 2008 is no longer going to be good enough in 2010 and beyond.

THAT'S why Avatar is a game changer.

[/rant]
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Fievel on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Minstrel..... excellent points. When discussing the movie with friends after my first viewing (in IMAX 3D) we talked about how if Spielberg or Lucas (and anyone else) want to even THINK about making a sci-fi epic (whether it's Star Wars, a remake, or something new) that they'll have to match what what experienced in Avatar or find a way to do it better.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Pacino86845 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 am

I don't think he is changing the audience at all... Cameron only SAID that Avatar would change movies forever, I don't actually see that it would. He would love for people to think of Avatar as 2001 or Star Wars... but it isn't even The Matrix. Just 'cause he says it doesn't make it true. And one thing those other films had in common was an immensely compelling story and characters on top of cutting edge technology. Avatar is just cutting edge technology.

Now, I liked Avatar, but it is far from memorable.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion