AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Avatar is original in that it is the first film I can think of to take the Invaders From Another Planet twist and make US the evil aliens invading a planet and what we would percieve to be aliens, the ones that are being invaded. I love that turning the tables of the War of the Worlds theme around and giving a big Fuck You to people who say "Oooh Aliens evil, want to invade innocent Earth" and show them just how WE are really the ones capable of this destruction.

For me that makes Avatar SO much in it's own class and unique in this twist. Everyone misses this point it seems.

Kirks I thought we had this conversation several pages back

off the top of my head I can tell you Starship Troopers and Ender's Game both did the "humans invading the alien" worlds

Yeah but Troops didn't really do it for me that much in regards to that theme and Ender's Game I didn't see, so I still stand by my own point, personally speaking.

There is no Ender's Game film of which I'm aware. And I really hope Hollywood never makes one. They'd really fuck it up.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:41 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:There is no Ender's Game film of which I'm aware. And I really hope Hollywood never makes one. They'd really fuck it up.

Too true, mate. Too true, and therein lies the pity.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Avatar is original in that it is the first film I can think of to take the Invaders From Another Planet twist and make US the evil aliens invading a planet and what we would percieve to be aliens, the ones that are being invaded. I love that turning the tables of the War of the Worlds theme around and giving a big Fuck You to people who say "Oooh Aliens evil, want to invade innocent Earth" and show them just how WE are really the ones capable of this destruction.

For me that makes Avatar SO much in it's own class and unique in this twist. Everyone misses this point it seems.

off the top of my head I can tell you Starship Troopers and Ender's Game both did the "humans invading the alien" worlds

Yeah but Troops didn't really do it for me that much in regards to that theme and Ender's Game I didn't see, so I still stand by my own point, personally speaking.

Ender's Game hasn't been made yet, it's still a book

and it doesn't matter if it did much for you or not, but the point still stands, it's not original in that regard

Ah bollox, it is for me. That point I hardly saw raised in Troops, it didn't come to much more than just a mentioned line by a news reporter, something like 'maybe the attacks on earth from Klandathu us because of human involvement on their planet' or something. I didn't see any humans declare war on the bugs just because they wouldn't get out of their way and I didn't see anyone from Pandora shit missiles in an attempt to destroy earth. It's nothing like it is in Avatar or as a story as a whole. Maybe just a teeny weeny bit, but not much. Low Cal.

Sorry mate, but you're reeeeeeaaaacchhhiiinnnggg.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:I wish people would stop defending Star Wars based on its characters. They're no better than Avatar's. Since when is Darth Vader a compelling villain? He dresses in black and wears a mask, so he's scary? Jeez. There's a whole thread here on the Zone somewhere about how he's not really very impressive.

Darth Vader is a great pilot who is physically large, has a deep sexy voice and can snap you neck with his mind. He started out good but was trained by an inexperienced mentor who couldn't control him and now he's risen to assistant dictator in a fascist regime that spans multiple galaxies. He builds weapons that can destroy entire planets, he maims his own son, and even fucks with the mining industry. If that leaves you unimpressed then I think you should also skip Inglourious Basterds because that Hitler guy in that movie was barely a threat.

Greatest post in the history of posts.

Stupidest post in the history of posts.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby Bloo on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:

and it doesn't matter if it did much for you or not, but the point still stands, it's not original in that regard

Ah bollox, it is for me. That point I hardly saw raised in Troops, it didn't come to much more than just a mentioned line by a news reporter, something like 'maybe the attacks on earth from Klandathu us because of human involvement on their planet' or something. I didn't see any humans declare war on the bugs just because they wouldn't get out of their way and I didn't see anyone from Pandora shit missiles in an attempt to destroy earth. It's nothing like it is in Avatar or as a story as a whole. Maybe just a teeny weeny bit, but not much. Low Cal.

you need to rewatch it because it's a major plot point at the end
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I find the emphasis being put on story not being "original" quite amusing. It's just comes across like you're clutching at straws.

Look back at the highest-grossers from the past 25 years and see if you can spot one which had a truly original story.

I am right there with you, FG. In fact, some would argue it was the "unoriginal story" that allowed the film to be so successful.

If you want the maximum amount of people to enjoy it...they need something familiar...broad strokes, you know?

so financially successful = creatively successful now?

I could swear that there are a few threads in here lamenting the fact that films have been dumbed down to capture broad audiences...

And the story itself, the broad-based themes, do not necessarily need to be original. A fresh take of those themes can be just as refreshing as an abstract art-house film. I'm thinking primarily here of The Matrix which Avatar borrows a lot from (more, I think, than from Star Wars, though of course The Matrix borrows a lot from SW too). The themes driving the Matrix weren't original either...but the way in which those themes were presented (not just visually, but conceptually) felt far more "original" to me than Avatar ever does. That's an incredibly subjective statement, I realize, but that was just my feeling after watching the movie.

I never said they were creatively successful. I am not a huge AVATAR fan. I liked it, but I won't watch it again.

But I do think my point stands. Look at the highest grossing films of all time and you will see broad strokes. Even something like THE MATRIX, which you pointed out as being fairly original, could only amass $171 million. That doesn't even put it in the top 100. Even RELOADED (which you can argue is a better barometer of the popularity of the first film) lands a paltry 41st on the list.

My point, is that the films that are in the top 10-20 range are all broad strokes. They are made to be that way so they can maximize the return on investment that the studios make.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Bloo wrote:

you need to rewatch it because it's a major plot point at the end

Well just had a watch of the ending, but also had a look at the script for it. Nothing there really. Basically any similarity to Avatar about humans invading an alien planet and drawing first blood is far too slight as this notion of humans attacking first is so very very vague in Starship Troops but is also contradicted by the story wherby the aliens attack earth and the humans have gotta strike back to defend itself...

OFFICIAL VOICE
Klendathu, source of the bug meteor attacks,
orbits a twin star system whose brutal gravitational
forces produce an unlimited supply of meteorites...

OFFICIAL VOICE
To ensure the safety of our solar system, Klendathu must be eliminated !
(OOPS! This part of the script isn't even in the actual FILM! More credit to the film we watched than it deserves, in terms of our discussion! It's still not enough evidence to back up your theory anyway.)

Some Mormons tried to set up a colony on another planet, but the Arachnids attacked and killed them.

There might have been human involvement or interference with the Arachnids on other planets, but I don't remember anything to suggest that the humans shot first. Even so, it plays such a whisper of a plot point as from the beginning it's EARTH being invaded and attacked, not the other way around.

All I pick up from the end is this...

OFFICIAL VOICE
Protect your continued right to evolve !

That doesn't really say much in regards to humans wanting to attack other planets just to do this, but only to do so for self defense. Not out of greed or to obtain something valuable or to survive with.

It really comes down to how in your face this theme is in Troopers which really is my point in many ways. It is so barely mentioned, humans invading alien planets first, that it doesn't register as a MAJOR plot theme to me to be so compared to Avatar.

What I'm concerned with is 'Humans attack alien planet first for no good reason and not in self-defense, then aliens existence in doubt and fear, aliens fight humans on alien planet in a hope humans would go away'. Troopers takes any possible notion of existing human attack not in self defense further as 'aliens' shit rocks at planet earth itself to attack and destroy planet completely'.

The themes are just not similar enough in both movies, and again as I said, so tiny and so sketchy in Troopers that it doesn't register as a plot point enough. It's like 100% of Avatar's story, and hardly even 10% of Troopers' story at best if it even IS part of it as it's so vague, that I can hardly say that Avatar is copying it or it's been done before with Troopers therefore sucking Avatar of this originality.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:I find the emphasis being put on story not being "original" quite amusing. It's just comes across like you're clutching at straws.

Look back at the highest-grossers from the past 25 years and see if you can spot one which had a truly original story.

I am right there with you, FG. In fact, some would argue it was the "unoriginal story" that allowed the film to be so successful.

If you want the maximum amount of people to enjoy it...they need something familiar...broad strokes, you know?

so financially successful = creatively successful now?

I could swear that there are a few threads in here lamenting the fact that films have been dumbed down to capture broad audiences...

And the story itself, the broad-based themes, do not necessarily need to be original. A fresh take of those themes can be just as refreshing as an abstract art-house film. I'm thinking primarily here of The Matrix which Avatar borrows a lot from (more, I think, than from Star Wars, though of course The Matrix borrows a lot from SW too). The themes driving the Matrix weren't original either...but the way in which those themes were presented (not just visually, but conceptually) felt far more "original" to me than Avatar ever does. That's an incredibly subjective statement, I realize, but that was just my feeling after watching the movie.

I never said they were creatively successful. I am not a huge AVATAR fan. I liked it, but I won't watch it again.

But I do think my point stands. Look at the highest grossing films of all time and you will see broad strokes. Even something like THE MATRIX, which you pointed out as being fairly original, could only amass $171 million. That doesn't even put it in the top 100. Even RELOADED (which you can argue is a better barometer of the popularity of the first film) lands a paltry 41st on the list.

My point, is that the films that are in the top 10-20 range are all broad strokes. They are made to be that way so they can maximize the return on investment that the studios make.

I agree that your point stands, but I feel like we are talking apples and oranges a bit (or, perhaps, FG and I are). One of the problems that I had with the film (and that others have had) was that the story felt very recycled. FG noted that he felt that this criticism was clutching at straws and asked us to take a look at the top grossers of of the past quarter century and point to one that had a truly original story. You then followed-up to note that the fact that it was an "unoriginal" story may have helped with its financial success. I don't doubt any of that. In my opinion both statements are generally accurate.

But the critique itself doesn't have much to do with Avatar's financial success. The fact that Avatar is financially successful is beyond debate. But regardless of whether Avatar makes $1 or $10 billion, the recycled storyline is still (in my opinion) a great weakness of the film, creatively. That doesn't mean the film wholly fails, either creatively or financially, just that it's a significant creative weakness (I note that because I feel like I'm harshing on Avatar alot more than I really mean to, at the end of the day I liked it). Just because a film is incredibly successful at the box office doesn't mean its beyond criticism creatively...thank god, or else I'd have to delete the Transformers 2 thread (no I'm not comparing Avatar to Transformers...at all). :D
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Seppuku on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm

You ask me, I think that people's main problem with Avatar's story isn't that it's recycled, it's that it's too simple and stripped back for them. Cinema audiences don't just need an explosion every ten minutes, they also need a plot turn. If the writer can just keep things twisty and change the scenery often enough, the audience might just get through the movie without falling asleep (Average Joe is a hardworking guy after all). That first yawn is more contagious than the Ebola virus.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Sepp may be on to something. It was all very rote. Aside from the visuals, there was barely any life in this movie. It all seemed like it was on a set of rails we've all been down before many times. A little deviation keeps things interesting, makes things seem a little fresh. I'll say again that Avatar isn't a bad movie. But it fails to reach greatness because 90% of the work that went into the film was to create a vastly interesting visual landscape. That didn't leave much for an interesting story or characters. Imagine if the script matched the quality of the visuals? Holy shit, Avatar would truly be something to behold! Right now it's in the same league as Transformers: people ooh and aah over the spectacle, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really mean anything. It's just a theme park ride. It's not art.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:33 pm

minstrel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:I wish people would stop defending Star Wars based on its characters. They're no better than Avatar's. Since when is Darth Vader a compelling villain? He dresses in black and wears a mask, so he's scary? Jeez. There's a whole thread here on the Zone somewhere about how he's not really very impressive.

Darth Vader is a great pilot who is physically large, has a deep sexy voice and can snap you neck with his mind. He started out good but was trained by an inexperienced mentor who couldn't control him and now he's risen to assistant dictator in a fascist regime that spans multiple galaxies. He builds weapons that can destroy entire planets, he maims his own son, and even fucks with the mining industry. If that leaves you unimpressed then I think you should also skip Inglourious Basterds because that Hitler guy in that movie was barely a threat.

Now you're just being an asshole. I think I made a pretty good case as to why you would not want to cross Darth Vader and Kirks added a bunch of stuff about how Vader also kills children and his own mentor. I'm not really sure what it is Star Wars did to you to make you hate it so much. I thought Star Wars was on that same short list with pizza and tits in terms of things everybody can agree are good.

I kinda understand what you're saying about villains like The Joker and Hannibal Lecter being more psychologically dangerous than Vader because they get in your head, but then a giant voice in my head screams out IF YOU WANT DEEPLY PSYCHOLOGICAL MOVIES EVERY TIME, THEN WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU SEE IN AVATAR???

Did you honestly find Miles Quartrich to be on that gold standard of truly psychologically penetrating villains? If so, please please please explain!

I swear, I liked Avatar when I walked out of the cinema, but talking to you is making me hate it now.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Seppuku wrote: Cinema audiences don't just need an explosion every ten minutes, they also need a plot turn.

Cameron in shock announcement tells world press that Avatar is really about his tumultuous love affair with Linda Hamilton and nothing to do with the european mass genocide of a native american indigenous culture. He recognises he has some serious issues to deal with, but in the meantime he is to continue his psychiatric treatment.

Man, I really want to get round to seeing this, the dodgy 50 cent dvd's in China offer the poor man a cost efficient alternative to having to pay 20 dollars a ticket, the quality, ah.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I thought Star Wars was on that same short list with pizza and tits in terms of things everybody can agree are good.

Tits aren't on my short list...
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

justcheckin wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:I thought Star Wars was on that same short list with pizza and tits in terms of things everybody can agree are good.

Yeah, I but I would assume they are on your chest at least.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby justcheckin on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am

magicmonkey wrote:
justcheckin wrote:

well yeah! Why would I have them on my short list if I already had a pair of my own.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

Now you're just being an asshole. I think I made a pretty good case as to why you would not want to cross Darth Vader and Kirks added a bunch of stuff about how Vader also kills children and his own mentor. I'm not really sure what it is Star Wars did to you to make you hate it so much. I thought Star Wars was on that same short list with pizza and tits in terms of things everybody can agree are good.

I kinda understand what you're saying about villains like The Joker and Hannibal Lecter being more psychologically dangerous than Vader because they get in your head, but then a giant voice in my head screams out IF YOU WANT DEEPLY PSYCHOLOGICAL MOVIES EVERY TIME, THEN WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU SEE IN AVATAR???

Did you honestly find Miles Quartrich to be on that gold standard of truly psychologically penetrating villains? If so, please please please explain!

I swear, I liked Avatar when I walked out of the cinema, but talking to you is making me hate it now.

Keep it civil folks...both of yas
Lord Voldemoo

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 am

justcheckin wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:
justcheckin wrote:

well yeah! Why would I have them on my short list if I already had a pair of my own.

This. I must ponder for awhile.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 am

Saw it the other night. I thought it was a good movie that Ill prolly never see again(just like Titanic). It was real pretty and the 3D effects were amazing. The store was Ferngully meets Dances with Wolves and that was ok. I thought it was a fantastic summer blockbuster a few months late...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

You know, this really pisses me off, and should do to others if they had any sense, so don't let Moo's red Admin status put you off, he talks shit half the time. I mean, this holier than thou, condescending bit of 'keep it civil' advice here from someone that, admit it or not, compares Avatar to TRANSFORMERS!??! And Rogue, did even more, which is enough to make one wanna leave this place, how COULD you guys?! If anything Avatar shows HOW to make such a film to the filmmakers behind Trannies, and furthermore, Moo has said that what is the weakness of the film is actually the STRENGTH.

Why are people banging on about how crap it is that the Dances with Blue Aliens is bad as it's been recycled? It's not been done in outer space like this, and hasn't been done THAT much before in the history of films. Why the fark are people complaining about this or the story's lack of orginality when NO ONE but me criticises the amount of flipping VAMPIRE MOVIES OUT THERE?!!?!? I tell you why - it's be cause AVATAR is SO GOOD. that's why. It gets people's attention more, so therefore talk of the story comes into play. I tell you one thing, in the history of films, no matter how good they are, most of the time people will say that the story is the weakest element, in my observation anyway. But it needn't be the reason that the movie has to be let down, just 'cos other factors of the film are better.

But back to my point, the Dances with Blue Aliens is one of the movie's strengths, there's only a handful of films with this 'Gone Tribal' theme out there, not enough to make me think that this story is being over repeated here, and it's a premise which I love. It definitely sets Avatar up as a character piece too. Anyway, the novel way it's used in this environment DOES make it fresh. Don't forget it's still a sci-fi story first and foremost. I love how no one gives the movie credit for how cool and well thought up the whole IDEA of having an Avatar is, even though a couple of people in the world before this film might have used a similar creation for a film, it's still new enough to me, OK?

AND WHEN ARE YOU GONNA COME IN HERE AND TALK ABOUT THIS FILM, TAPEHEAD?!?!?! Instead of typically just coming in here to throw some overdone film history analysis and appreciation in, bang on cue??! :twisted: :twisted:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

You know, this really pisses me off, and should do to others if they had any sense. This holier than thou, condescending bit of advice from someone that, admit it or not, compares Avatar to TRANSFORMERS!??! And Rogue, did even more, which is enough to make one wanna leave this place, how COULD you guys?! If anything Avatar shows HOW to make such a film to the filmmakers behind Trannies, and furthermore, Moo has said that what is the weakness of the film is actually the STRENGTH.

Why are people banging on about how crap it is that the Dances with Blue Aliens is bad as it's been recycled? It's not been done in outer space like this, and hasn't been done THAT much before in the history of films. Why the fark are people complaining about this or the story's lack of orginality when NO ONE but me criticises the amount of flipping VAMPIRE MOVIES OUT THERE?!!?!? I tell you why - it's be cause AVATAR is SO GOOD. that's why. It gets people's attention more, so therefore talk of the story comes into play. I tell you one thing, in the history of films, no matter how good they are, most of the time people will say that the story is the weakest element, in my observation anyway. But it needn't be the reason that the movie has to be let down, just 'cos other factors of the film are better.

But back to my point, the Dances with Blue Aliens is one of the movie's strengths, there's only a handful of films with this 'Gone Tribal' theme out there, not enough to make me think that this story is being over repeated here, and it's a premise which I love. It definitely sets Avatar up as a character piece too. Anyway, the novel way it's used in this environment DOES make it fresh. Don't forget it's still a sci-fi story first and foremost. I love how no one gives the movie credit for how cool and well thought up the whole IDEA of having an Avatar is, even though a couple of people in the world before this film might have used a similar creation for a film, it's still new enough to me, OK?

AND WHEN ARE YOU GONNA COME IN HERE AND TALK ABOUT THIS FILM, TAPEHEAD?!?!?! Instead of typically just coming in here to throw some overdone film history analysis and appreciation in, bang on cue??! :twisted: :twisted:

At least in Transformers we got Megan Fox's tits...here we get a flat-chested blue chick and Sigourney Weaver. With the 3D technology employed here we really needed a more full-figured heroine.

As for holier than thou....well...I am.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bloo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 am

can we agree that Weaver as a big blue alien looked good, they even gave her a nice alien rack
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:24 am

Bloo wrote:can we agree that Weaver as a big blue alien looked good, they even gave her a nice alien rack

But COMPLETELY failed with 3D aspects of said rack. They needed to be shooting out of the screen at my face like missiles!

Really, I expected something deeper and more substantial from Cameron here.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:25 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Spandau Belly wrote:

You know, this really pisses me off, and should do to others if they had any sense. This holier than thou, condescending bit of advice from someone that, admit it or not, compares Avatar to TRANSFORMERS!??! And Rogue, did even more, which is enough to make one wanna leave this place, how COULD you guys?! If anything Avatar shows HOW to make such a film to the filmmakers behind Trannies, and furthermore, Moo has said that what is the weakness of the film is actually the STRENGTH.

At least in Transformers we got Megan Fox's tits...here we get a flat-chested blue chick and Sigourney Weaver. With the 3D technology employed here we really needed a more full-figured heroine.

As for holier than thou....well...I am.

Oh fark off! :evil: Now who's being the asshole?!?! :evil: :evil:

1. A hypocritical statement by answering me with a post about breasts, oh very mature, no wonder your statement about the stoy's weaknesses has no value. And
2. After telling us how to behave you come in here ragging on like you can act anyway you want by communistically self allowing yourself to be holier than thou because you just say so?

No wonder this place has been shit since Harry Knowles stopped posting here. No I know why he stopped. As this place was shit which made him leave, which made this place become the shit hole it is becoming to be.

(A Moo post like this is PM/email material to Harry Knowles, people. Don't be afraid to do it if you don't like such a post in the future)
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:2. After telling us how to behave you come in here ragging on like you can act anyway you want by communistically self allowing yourself to be holier than thou because you just say so?

Lord Voldemoo

Postby Bloo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Bloo wrote:can we agree that Weaver as a big blue alien looked good, they even gave her a nice alien rack

But COMPLETELY failed with 3D aspects of said rack. They needed to be shooting out of the screen at my face like missiles!

yes that most disappointing

and to move this discussion along a different path

which was better fake Nav'i basketball in Avatar or fake vampire baseball in Twilight
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 am

Bloo wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

which was better fake Nav'i basketball in Avatar or fake vampire baseball in Twilight

I hate to say it, but I liked the fake vampire baseball better. It was the only part of that movie that I liked.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:31 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Bloo wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:

I hate to say it, but I liked the fake vampire baseball better. It was the only part of that movie that I liked.

The fact that Avatar is being compared to a Vampire movie shows how much I have failed you all.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 am

Bloo wrote:which was better fake Nav'i basketball in Avatar or fake vampire baseball in Twilight

Twilight is much better than Avatar in EVERY aspect!

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:(A Moo post like this is PM/email material to Grande Rojo Knowles, people. Don't be afraid to do it if you don't like such a post in the future)

Email Harry and CC Santa Claus and Jesus H. Christ while you're at and let me know who gets back to you first. My money is on anyone but Harry.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 am

I love how no one gives the movie credit for how cool and well thought up the whole IDEA of having an Avatar is, even though a couple of people in the world before this film might have used a similar creation for a film, it's still new enough to me, Ok?

Placing your mind in a construct with super strength and speed where you can run and jump and do amazing things but IRL you're just jacked into a computer. I could have sworn some little art house flick that nobody saw that did something like that........oh yeah it was called The Matrix.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:39 am

thomasgaffney wrote:
Bloo wrote:which was better fake Nav'i basketball in Avatar or fake vampire baseball in Twilight

Twilight is much better than Avatar in EVERY aspect!

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:(A Moo post like this is PM/email material to Grande Rojo Knowles, people. Don't be afraid to do it if you don't like such a post in the future)

Email Harry and CC Santa Claus and Jesus H. Christ while you're at and let me know who gets back to you first. My money is on anyone but Harry.

Dude, I don't need your sarcasm, seriously. I made a point earlier how a Head Admin here can do or say what he likes then dictate the opposite to others, and he then goes on the trademark method of getting away with it by posting DENIAL in what he does with his Panda WHUT pic. So I don't need you posting a piss take to my remarks to other people to contact Harry Knowles at AICN if you all see a Mod or Admin doing something you don't like, people. :shock:

MOD EDIT:
harryballs @ aintitcool.com
mail: P.O.Box 1809er011, Austin, Georgia, China 78718-0*$11 Zimbabwe
tel: (555) KIRK BLOWS

As for Harry ignoring us? Well how come when it was Sylvester Stallone answering questions from AICN fans when Rocky Balboa came out, Harry let me email my questions to Sly and he passed them on to Sly - and Sly answered TWO OF THEM, then? So give it a whirl, people, if hypocritical bullying tactics are used here again by such posters in so called control.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 am

Spandau Belly wrote:
minstrel wrote:Stupidest post in the history of posts.

Now you're just being an asshole.

Yes, I was. I'm sorry. I apologize to you and to Moo.
I think I made a pretty good case as to why you would not want to cross Darth Vader and Kirks added a bunch of stuff about how Vader also kills children and his own mentor. I'm not really sure what it is Star Wars did to you to make you hate it so much. I thought Star Wars was on that same short list with pizza and tits in terms of things everybody can agree are good.

As I said before, I think you made a lousy case. Of course nobody would want to cross Darth Vader, but there's a million other movie villains nobody would want to cross, too, and some of the movies they were in are pretty awful.

Quaritch is not a psychologically penetrating villain. I said so in my review. My point had nothing to do with Quaritch. I was talking about Vader. Vader is almost as one-dimensional as Quaritch - that was my point. A black mask and heavy breathing do not a great villain make.

I was not trying to say that Avatar is a wonderful character portrait. I was just saying that Star Wars isn't, either, and shouldn't be held up as an example of one. I've watched it recently, and it doesn't hold up.

See my review of Avatar, posted Dec. 20, 2009, in this very thread.
minstrel

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:42 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote: I love how no one gives the movie credit for how cool and well thought up the whole IDEA of having an Avatar is, even though a couple of people in the world before this film might have used a similar creation for a film, it's still new enough to me, Ok?

Placing your mind in a construct with super strength and speed where you can run and jump and do amazing things but IRL you're just jacked into a computer. I could have sworn some little art house flick that nobody saw that did something like that........oh yeah it was called The Matrix.

Oh dude that's nothing like it. No one moved in that useage. How long did you have to think that one up, just to annoy me? Mate, you're reeeeeaaaaaaacchhhiiiiiiiiinnnngggg!!!!

1. harry wouldn't agree with your post other than you're out on a wind up to me.
2. Don't compare Avatar to The Matrix.
Last edited by Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:2. Don't compare Avatar to The Matrix.

The Matrix is WAY BETTER than Avatar.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote: I love how no one gives the movie credit for how cool and well thought up the whole IDEA of having an Avatar is, even though a couple of people in the world before this film might have used a similar creation for a film, it's still new enough to me, Ok?

Oh dude that's nothing like it. No one moved in that useage. How long did you have to think that one up, just to annoy me? Mate, you're reeeeeaaaaaaacchhhiiiiiiiiinnnngggg!!!!

1. Grande Rojo wouldn't agree with anything other than you're out on a wind up to me.
2. Don't compare Avatar to The Matrix.

You're right Kirks, I just sent Harry a letter at the address listed above and apologized for my actions. I suggest that others write to him at the address listed above as well. I'd like to apologize to you, to the Zoners, and to all of Major League Baseball for my actions.

But The Matrix was waaaay better than Avatar.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 am

Let the wild rumpus start!

Too late. :shock:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 am

I liked Avatar and the Matrix but I have not seen any of the Twilight movies...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am

minstrel wrote: A black mask and heavy breathing do not a great villain make.

Dude, if that's still the only thing you see about Vader after all that we have said to you, then it's no more point in talking to you.

Consider yourself Foe'd.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 am

Na'vi vs Jedi vs X-men vs Neo?
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 am

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Na'vi vs Jedi vs X-men vs Neo?

vs Ellen Page

edit: oh wait, she's an X-Man...or X-Woman as it were.

vs. Michael Cera
Lord Voldemoo

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:01 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Na'vi vs Jedi vs X-men vs Neo?

vs Ellen Page

edit: oh wait, she's an X-Man...or X-Woman as it were.

vs. Michael Cera

Phoenix eats Pandora=Game.Over.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby minstrel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 am

Avatar is better than The Matrix. Basically, The Matrix is too convoluted to support itself, even though it has amazing visuals and a general high degree of extreme coolness. That helicopter sequence is still one of the great action sequences of all time.

But Avatar beats it. Avatar doesn't demand that you buy into some ridiculous quasi-philosophical bullshit to make its point, and Avatar has visuals that are better than any in movie history.
minstrel

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 am

minstrel wrote:Avatar is better than The Matrix. Basically, The Matrix is too convoluted to support itself, even though it has amazing visuals and a general high degree of extreme coolness. That helicopter sequence is still one of the great action sequences of all time.

But Avatar beats it. Avatar doesn't demand that you buy into some ridiculous quasi-philosophical bullshit to make its point, and Avatar has visuals that are better than any in movie history.

I agree with that if we are talking about and including Reloaded and Revolutions in the mix (which we probably should....but of course I wont).

Standalone, 1st Matrix movie vs. Avatar, I'll take the Matrix.

All kidding aside (and for the record I was just having some fun with Kirks), I REALLY DID like Avatar, I swear, but I think there is room for debate as to its merits.
Lord Voldemoo

Postby thomasgaffney on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 am

minstrel wrote:Avatar is better than The Matrix. Basically, The Matrix is too convoluted to support itself, even though it has amazing visuals and a general high degree of extreme coolness. That helicopter sequence is still one of the great action sequences of all time.

I disagree. One, I do think The Matrix is better. Two, The Matrix doesn't DEMAND you buy into anything. It makes you think. It gives your brain something to work on, to figure out, while you watch some awesome, kick-ass, never seen before in American cinema action that ROCKS!

Avatar is like Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code of movies. As in, The DaVinci Code sucked, didn't really make you think, and was considered "literature" for the masses. With The DaVinci Code, almost everyone in America can now say they read a NY Times bestseller. Avatar doesn't make you think and is considered an "Oscar-worthy" movie for the masses. With Avatar, almost everyone in America can now say they went to the theater to see a groundbreaking MPAA frontrunner for Best Picture.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Fievel on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:23 am

I love that The Zone is divided on this movie. Debate is what makes The Zone.
'While reading the negatives, one common thing I read is that every minute is predictable. I'll agree with that to an extent, but after Sigourney Weaver's character got shot (which was entirely predictable) I would not have bet a single dollar that she ended up dying. I figured that the Na'vi would have healed her. But no, she died. Buh-bye. I also didn't think that the new leader of the Na'vi tribe (forgot his name.... and I saw this movie twice!) would have died or Michelle Rodriguez's character. I figured that the dorky guy that had the avatar would have died first out of all of them.... and he lived!!

How pissed do you think the Wachowski brothers are that they didn't wait 10 years to do The Matrix? That would have absolutely assaulted the senses had it been filmed in Avatar-esque 3D!!
......and Keanu might have been too old for the part. Sigh, what could have been.

mod edit: Kirk be correct. edited to remove spoilers. muchas gracias, Captain
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 am

Fievel wrote:
How pissed do you think the Zoners would be when they read my above Spoilers that I couldn't be arsed to hide, before they even see the film, filmed in Avatar-esque 3D!!??

......and Keanu might have been too old for the part. Sigh, what could have been.

Ewan Mcgregor or Will Smith.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

Some feel it's good, some feel it's not so good. Some feel it's epic, some feel it's a popcorn flick.

But is it racist??

*runs*
Lord Voldemoo

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:41 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Keep it civil folks...both of yas

QUIET MOO! You can't tell us what to do, you bovine gestapo freak!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:50 am

thomasgaffney wrote:Avatar is like Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code of movies. As in, The DaVinci Code sucked, didn't really make you think, and was considered "literature" for the masses. With The DaVinci Code, almost everyone in America can now say they read a NY Times bestseller. Avatar doesn't make you think and is considered an "Oscar-worthy" movie for the masses.

Avatar may not make you think about the nature of the relationship between men and women or man's problems with his God, but it added contrast and colour to people's off-planet, off-the-schedule imaginings, and I don't know about you but I generally prefer that kind of thinking. I honestly don't think people are going to see Avatar as a pose, like with The DaVinci Code; they simply want a bit of awe in their lives that no other picture out at the moment quite supplies. It's a healing zeitgeist, not your usual unthinking zeitgeist borne of peer pressure and the need to get it over with so you can talk about it at school/work/dinner etc.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Eywa on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:...the recycled storyline is still (in my opinion) a great weakness of the film, creatively. That doesn't mean the film wholly fails, either creatively or financially, just that it's a significant creative weakness...

The Writers Guild of America has announced its nominations for best Original Screenplay.

List of nominees:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"(500) Days of Summer," Written by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber; Fox Searchlight
"Avatar," Written by James Cameron; 20th Century Fox
"The Hangover," Written by Jon Lucas & Scott Moore; Warner Bros.
"The Hurt Locker," Written by Mark Boal; Summit Entertainment
"A Serious Man," Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen; Focus Features

Eywa has heard us! Suck it losers!
Eywa
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 am

Eywa wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:...the recycled storyline is still (in my opinion) a great weakness of the film, creatively. That doesn't mean the film wholly fails, either creatively or financially, just that it's a significant creative weakness...

The Writers Guild of America has announced its nominations for best Original Screenplay.

List of nominees:
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"(500) Days of Summer," Written by Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber; Fox Searchlight
"Avatar," Written by James Cameron; 20th Century Fox
"The Hangover," Written by Jon Lucas & Scott Moore; Warner Bros.
"The Hurt Locker," Written by Mark Boal; Summit Entertainment
"A Serious Man," Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen; Focus Features

Eywa has heard us! Suck it losers!

The Hangover??!? Is George Bush still in charge over there? Seriously, what time is it America? Did I miss the highly intelligent sub-plot relating to how the Hangover is a post katrina/Bush parable?!? Or is it just about a bunch of blokes and Mike Tyson flirting with mediocrity? :?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion