AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: AVATAR (Now w/ Worldwide Eyeball Rape)

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Fievel wrote:I love that The Zone is divided on this movie. Debate is what makes The Zone.
'While reading the negatives, one common thing I read is that every minute is predictable. I'll agree with that to an extent, but after Sigourney Weaver's character got shot (which was entirely predictable) I would not have bet a single dollar that she ended up dying. I figured that the Na'vi would have healed her. But no, she died. Buh-bye. I also didn't think that the new leader of the Na'vi tribe (forgot his name.... and I saw this movie twice!) would have died or Michelle Rodriguez's character. I figured that the dorky guy that had the avatar would have died first out of all of them.... and he lived!!

How pissed do you think the Wachowski brothers are that they didn't wait 10 years to do The Matrix? That would have absolutely assaulted the senses had it been filmed in Avatar-esque 3D!!
......and Keanu might have been too old for the part. Sigh, what could have been.

mod edit: Kirk be correct. edited to remove spoilers. muchas gracias, Captain

Random thought far too late to make a point, but..... Number Two?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 pm

#4?

edit: I know in a perfect world, we'd all get out to see the latest releases as soon as they come out, but money is tight for a lot of people now. There are tons of movies that are out, and have been out, that I want to see. Perhaps we should vote on amending the spoiler rules, cause I know I have movies I'm waiting on Netflix for, that I don't want to have spoiled for me.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:#4?

edit: I know in a perfect world, we'd all get out to see the latest releases as soon as they come out, but money is tight for a lot of people now. There are tons of movies that are out, and have been out, that I want to see. Perhaps we should vote on amending the spoiler rules, cause I know I have movies I'm waiting on Netflix for, that I don't want to have spoiled for me.

You know, until I read this I thought it was pretty black & white - you don't read the movie post-release discussions if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled. So then after reading your post, I thought "Exactly why WOULD someone want to read the discussions without having seen them?" and the answer came instantly - because they want to know if it's any good!! I honestly never thought of it that way. If we carry on as we have been - with a mixture of SpoilerTexting and not, I don't think we'll run into too many problems. Obviously the mods will step in if someone who hasn't seen the movie screams "Spoilers!"

I only brought it back up because at the time of the Avatar post I thought it was odd to have it mod-spoilered and then saw SFG's Spoiler post while looking for a specific thread tonight.

No harm, no foul I guess?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Back on topic...

"Avatar" replaces "Titanic" in record books

James Cameron's sci-fi spectacular replaced his maritime melodrama as the biggest international release of all time during the weekend and is on the verge of claiming its worldwide crown, which also includes North American receipts, distributor 20th Century Fox said Sunday.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am

Fievel wrote:Back on topic...

"Avatar" replaces "Titanic" in record books

James Cameron's sci-fi spectacular replaced his maritime melodrama as the biggest international release of all time during the weekend and is on the verge of claiming its worldwide crown, which also includes North American receipts, distributor 20th Century Fox said Sunday.

While still an impressive feat, the elevated ticket prices have helped it. Average 3D ticket price in the UK is something like £8, somewhat higher than even 1997 prices.

On price corrected stats, I think The Sound of Music, Ben-Hur and Star Wars are still the bigger sellers of all time.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 am

Nothing's topped the domestic gross for Gone with the Wind (adjusted). Don't know about worldwide or if it even had a worldwide release.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Bayouwolf on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Box office, Schmox office...When I consider a movies success, I think in terms of longevity. The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been in wide release since the late 70's, and it's still being show at theaters today. Sure it's only shown at midnight and on Saturdays, but think about how much longer that flick will go on on the big screen. There's no real danger of it EVER being pulled. It still makes money...

RogueScribner wrote:Nothing's topped the domestic gross for Gone with the Wind (adjusted). Don't know about worldwide or if it even had a worldwide release.

ya know...I thought about this on the way in to work today...People are seeing this multiple times, and they are taking more people with them every time. We saw a glimpse of this when Titanic came out, it seemed like it was in theaters forever. But it was mostly repeat (female, and the men that wanted to shag them) viewers that put it over the top.

But with Avatar it's a little different. There are still places near our house that are sold out for the IMAX show, even in the middle of the week. People are seeing in multiple times, and they are taking all their friends and family. This flick just naturally appeals all ages and genders. I've seen old people and kids both wowing over this. It will be a long time before its no longer out in a theater somewhere.

And keep in mind, when GWtW came out, there were no multiplexes. You could go see it, or you could go see nothing at all. Sure word of mouth probably helped keep it at the cinemas for ages, but the fact that nothing else was strong enough to put in it's place at so many venues also speaks volumes of the quality of most films of that era.

Epic movie is epic.
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby Marksman230591 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

Bayouwolf wrote:Box office, Schmox office...When I consider a movies success, I think in terms of longevity. The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been in wide release since the late 70's, and it's still being show at theaters today. Sure it's only shown at midnight and on Saturdays, but think about how much longer that flick will go on on the big screen. There's no real danger of it EVER being pulled. It still makes money...

RogueScribner wrote:Nothing's topped the domestic gross for Gone with the Wind (adjusted). Don't know about worldwide or if it even had a worldwide release.

ya know...I thought about this on the way in to work today...People are seeing this multiple times, and they are taking more people with them every time. We saw a glimpse of this when Titanic came out, it seemed like it was in theaters forever. But it was mostly repeat (female, and the men that wanted to shag them) viewers that put it over the top.

But with Avatar it's a little different. There are still places near our house that are sold out for the IMAX show, even in the middle of the week. People are seeing in multiple times, and they are taking all their friends and family. This flick just naturally appeals all ages and genders. I've seen old people and kids both wowing over this. It will be a long time before its no longer out in a theater somewhere.

And keep in mind, when GWtW came out, there were no multiplexes. You could go see it, or you could go see nothing at all. Sure word of mouth probably helped keep it at the cinemas for ages, but the fact that nothing else was strong enough to put in it's place at so many venues also speaks volumes of the quality of most films of that era.

Epic movie is epic.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Sure, Avatar's got a somewhat unfair advantage that it has slightly more expensive tickets for its 3D screenings, but then, I thought about its DISadvantages too, and it just makes its success all the more impressive. One has to remember that during when films like Gone with the Wind came out, cinemas would only be playing that ONE movie for months. Basically, it was either you watched THAT, or you didn't watch anything at all, and on top of that, they stayed there for MONTHS. And movies were around that time the most popular form of escapist entertainment, at least a lot more than today, especially during that era of the 30s-50s, which is normally considered the Golden Age of Cinema.

Another factor one has to think about is that Avatar wasn't based on any previous work. While its derivative of its themes from other stories and its overall plot is not exactly original, there wasn't any precedent before it like all other top-grossing films in history have had: Titanic (historic events), Lord of the Rings (worldwide known literary classic), Dark Knight (long-running comic book series AND sequel) are all prime examples, and besides that, the premise of the protagonists being CGI 10-foot-tall blue-skinned cat-like humanoids was something rather risky to sell to audiences too, and BESIDES that, it's sci-fi, a genre that not many people are into, especially many girls. And yet, this film has managed to win the biggest success in HISTORY in the shortest time, WORLDWIDE. And after 6 weeks, it's still #1, and still has a strong momentum going for it. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this film ends up being the first movie ever to reach the $2 billion landmark.

Cameron and crew have created something that appeals to all people of all ages of all genders and of all cultures. And, in my opinion, its because its story and themes have been executed in such a way that doesn't feel preachy or self-important whatsoever, and merely feel more like undertones, and therefore don't detract at all from the overall entertainment that the film offers while still leaving audiences somewhat emotionally connected to said themes after the movie's over. And last, but not least, most people aren't fans of 3D, and this movie has proven to be the first one ever that does it right enough to actually make people prefer to watch it that way.

Cameron himself said it, he wanted to bring people BACK into cinemas with this movie, because it's simply just the best way to experience it, and the experience is something not short of extraordinary and immersive. With this film, he's put sci-fi into a whole new level of popularity, and I being a sci-fi geek myself, couldn't be any happier for this.

All I can say to this is... Well done, J.C & Crew. Well-fucking-done...
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby theunforgettablefire on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:33 pm

I give Cameron credit for pushing the boundaries of what film can do (again) but I really thought that this thing was an overlong, boring mess. Special effects are great and all, but how about some story and character development next time, James?

On that note, Stephen Lang was pretty badass, though.
theunforgettablefire
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:28 pm

So then, Pacino... 2 billion in ticket sales of human beings can't be wrong can it? How long's it gonna be until you just admit to your Master how much you love this movie? Your time here is marked, your time here is numbered, and alphabeticised... in D E A T H.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

theunforgettablefire wrote:I give Cameron credit for pushing the boundaries of what film can do (again) but I really thought that this thing was an overlong, boring mess. Special effects are great and all, but how about some story and character development next time, James?

On that note, Stephen Lang was pretty badass, though.

Stephen Lang was badass beyond badass, as I said in my review. But I believe there was some character development. Jake went through a proper arc. That girl flying the chopper went through an arc (an abbreviated one, but there you go). Neytiri went through an arc, from rejecting Jake to accepting him. I think it's unfair to say that character development does not occur in this film. It does.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:23 pm

Marksman230591 wrote:
Bayouwolf wrote:Box office, Schmox office...When I consider a movies success, I think in terms of longevity. The Rocky Horror Picture Show has been in wide release since the late 70's, and it's still being show at theaters today. Sure it's only shown at midnight and on Saturdays, but think about how much longer that flick will go on on the big screen. There's no real danger of it EVER being pulled. It still makes money...

Epic movie is epic.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Sure, Avatar's got a somewhat unfair advantage that it has slightly more expensive tickets for its 3D screenings, but then, I thought about its DISadvantages too, and it just makes its success all the more impressive. One has to remember that during when films like Gone with the Wind came out, cinemas would only be playing that ONE movie for months. Basically, it was either you watched THAT, or you didn't watch anything at all, and on top of that, they stayed there for MONTHS. And movies were around that time the most popular form of escapist entertainment, at least a lot more than today, especially during that era of the 30s-50s, which is normally considered the Golden Age of Cinema.

I think you guys are selling GWTW a bit short. It'd didn't make so much money because people didn't have a choice to watch it. Why didn't other movies of the era make nearly as much? Because other movies of the era weren't the phenomenon GWTW was, even before its release. The book was a huge hit and people followed the development of the film almost religiously. Everyone was in a fever pitch by the time the film actually came out. According to wikipedia, the film played exclusively in pre-sold engagements in a limited number of engagements before it went into general release a year later. When it premiered on TV in the mid-'70s, it was the highest rated program ever (the record didn't last long). GWTW was Titanic and Avatar rolled together. Movies still made and lost money in those days. No one was forced to see a movie. A theater wouldn't play a film for very long if audiences weren't packing the seats. Another thing to consider is that they didn't have wide releases like they do today. It could months or even years before a movie made it to your town. If a film didn't do well initially, it probably never would make it past the first round markets. GWTW sold the amount of tickets it did because people chose to see it, not because there were no other movies out at the time.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:25 pm

oops, wrong thread...
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby minstrel on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:Avatar is overrated.

oops, wrong thread...

But it's making an enormous amount of money ...
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 pm

minstrel wrote:

oops, wrong thread...

So did Legend this past weekend. Tell me that's a good movie.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Eywa on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Sad news. Avatar is now highest grossing film in the world.
Eywa
GLIB

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:09 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
minstrel wrote:

oops, wrong thread...

So did Legend this past weekend. Tell me that's a good movie.

Tim Curry was pretty cool...

:wink:
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Marksman230591 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:00 am

Eywa wrote:Sad news. Avatar is now highest grossing film in the world.

Judging from your username and user image, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was a sarcastic comment :wink:
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:04 am

I just watched Avatar again, this time at Universal Studios IMAX 3-D here in SoCal. Guess what? I liked it better the second time, and that's saying something! I was impressed by just how tight the script is - nearly every opportunity for a plot hole has been closed and dealt with. The story makes absolute sense. Once or twice there's a lucky coincidence when Jake falls from the shuttle after destroying it with its own missile, he lands very close to where the fight between Quaritch and Neytiri is happening, and can intervene but that's about it. My roomie and I were talking about it at dinner after seeing it again and every time one of us pointed out a potential plot hole, the other would say "No, that was explained earlier ...". The thing works.

And it hit me harder emotionally the second time. Vic, and anyone else here who didn't connect well enough to the characters the first time, try seeing it again. I had tears in my eyes several times this time around. The scene where Neytiri finds the real, human, Jake fighting for breath after Quaritch smashed in the window of the mini base, and cradles him in her arms (she's ten feet tall and his human form is normal size), and for the first time, she sees his human form and says "I see you" - that hit me. They look on each other with their real eyes for the first time and I found it powerful.

This movie is more powerful the second time. I recommend it even more than I did the first time I reviewed it.
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:16 am

minstrel wrote:I had tears in my eyes several times this time around.

Minstrel, no offense, but you cry at almost anything. :lol:

Example:
minstrel wrote:I've also been watching CNN far too much these days, and the endless tragedy of Haiti has me crying real tears every day. I don't know whether I should go to Haiti to help, or just turn it off so I don't have to get emotionally involved.

minstrel wrote:I cry my eyes out just thinking about the last scenes of The Iron Giant. Heck, I've got tears in my eyes now as I type this, and I haven't seen the movie in a year! I'm afraid of it, because I know it will reduce me to mush. But there are times when a man must be reduced to mush to discover who he is, so I think I'll put it on the ol' DVD machine later today and bawl again ... I need that every once in a while.

minstrel wrote:I just received that Gregory Peck box set from Amazon, so I had to watch Mirage (interesting paranoid mystery thing - Peck actually hires a private detective played wonderfully by Walter Matthau to figure out who he, Peck, is!), and then, of course, To Kill A Mockingbird (which had me crying at the end, as usual).

minstrel wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:RICK WRIGHT
1943 - 2008

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7617363.stm

Glad I got to see the Floyd with him playing.

This hit me right in the gut. I have tears in my eyes now as I type this.

Pink Floyd was one of my favorite bands as I was growing up, and they still are. I still remember hearing "The Great Gig In The Sky" for the first time, and thinking "Where did THAT come from?" It came from Rick. I wonder how much more of his music we would have heard on Pink Floyd albums if Roger Waters hadn't been such a control freak.

RIP, Rick Wright. And thanks for all the music.

minstrel wrote:I've been really busy all day, but I just had to log in here and add my voice to the Happy Canada Day chorus we have here!

Thanks, Maui, for the Molson commercial - it brought tears to my transplanted-Canadian eyes!

minstrel wrote:
Flumm wrote:I think Titanic from Cameron's perspective can be seen in that final shot, of the pan down through the ocean, then up apon the actual, broken, rusted bow, across the decks and as she fades back into life again...

He just wanted to bring this historical event out of the pages of the history books and into give it some of the awe, spectacle and human investment that the profundity of the thing was owed...

For the most part, I think he kinda nailed it.

When I saw that shot in the theater, it moved me to tears. It was beautiful, and one of the most powerful cinematic experiences I've ever had.

minstrel wrote:Some of the shots on this series (Planet Earth, fyi) are so beautiful they bring tears to my eyes.

There was the sequence of the elephants seeking water, and the flood came. There was a shot of some zebras walking over the land about knee-deep in fantastically clear water - the only way you could tell the water was there was that the animals left ripples in their wake. That was magnificent.

And the antelope being hunted by the wild dogs. When it escapes by leaping into the very blue and very still water and the dog won't follow - that was another beautiful, beautiful shot. The filmmakers actually wanted a shot of the dogs actually catching the antelope, in order to show the completion of a successful hunt, but the shot they got instead was gorgeous.

This series is some of the best television I've ever seen.

minstrel wrote:Thanks, Gaius. That's a great song.

Here's another, perhaps a bit more obscure. I can't listen to this song without crying. I can't even read the lyrics without crying. God help me if I ever try to sing it.

“Small Victoryâ€

minstrel wrote:Shawshank is on TV again, for the frillionth time. It's the last act, and as I sit here typing I'm warming up some man-tears to cry at the end.

minstrel wrote:
Peven wrote:at the end of "To Kill a Mockingbird", when Boo makes his appearance, and Scout says, "hey, Boo", and then out on the front porch when Scout tells Atticus that to tell everyone about Boo saving she and Jim would be like killing a mockingbird, gets the tears flowing for me most times i see it. the way the whole story comes together is so touching, so beautiful.

another Gregory Peck movie, "The Yearling" has a few scenes that pull the heartstrings too. is there any greater on-screen father than Gregory Peck? i think not.

To Kill A Mockingbird - that's right. It moves me too.

I cry at the last scene of Shawshank Redemption every time. THAT'S like an open wound for me.

I cry at animal movies, too. I think the hardest thing to take, emotionally, is the betrayal of loyalty. Dogs are loyal, and will go the last mile for their masters, and it always hits hard when they suffer for it. Samwise in LOTR fits in this category, too, even though he's not a dog. He's loyal, and Frodo (and all of Middle-Earth) owes him everything, by the time the story is over. So that draws my tears, too.

minstrel wrote:What's wrong with Kim Mitchell? Nothing!

I was at an Earl's restaurant in Vancouver just this past weekend for the first time in ten years, and I heard "Patio Lanterns" playing on the house sound system. It really took me back. I almost got tears in my eyes, because once again it made me feel so Canadian ...

I also love "Expedition Sailor". Terrific song.

While I also like Gordon Lightfoot, that's reaching back way too far for this thread, I think!

:)
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:07 am

These days I can't seem to listen to Johnny Cash's shit with Rick Rubin without tearing up like a goddamn girlie.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby minstrel on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:22 am

Wow, Gaffney. I never thought anybody would research my old posts that thoroughly to find out what makes me cry. You've done a great job! I'm not really sure why, but you've done a great job!

Sure, I'm a softie. I wasn't when I was younger. In my twenties I didn't cry at anything. It seems that as I've grown older, my emotions are more exposed - I get angry now much more easily than I did back then, too. I just don't like to talk about it much. I remember in my twenties thinking that there was something wrong with me, that I was crazy in some way, because nothing would move me emotionally. Now I kind of think I'm crazy because so many things move me emotionally. I haven't yet decided whether I was happier then or whether I'm happier now.

But go see Avatar again. It's a great film!
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:27 am

lol.

You said something off-hand the other day about a movie or song that never fails to make you tear up, and I thought "that's like the 2nd thing this week that's made Minstrel cry."

Not that it's a bad thing! I just noticed that you used the "made me cry" turn of phrase quite often, so when you said Avatar's second viewing made you cry, I did a quick search (the search DOES WORK if you know how to use it) and quoted what came up.

I'm at the in-laws in New Jersey for the weekend, so I'm just bored. lol.

I, personally, don't think Avatar is as great as you do.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Bloo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:45 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:These days I can't seem to listen to Johnny Cash's shit with Rick Rubin without tearing up like a goddamn girlie.

I'm the same way, espically AR 3 and 4, two of the best American Recordings albums in my estimation
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Raziel on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Here's my little amateurish review, if anybody's interested...
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby wonkabar on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm

wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby minstrel on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:05 pm

The only movie I've seen in a theater recently is Avatar - I've seen it three times. Each time was in a different location using a different 3D process. The most recent time was at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. It was also the worst 3D - the glasses really darkened the movie to an unacceptable degree.
minstrel

Postby Al Shut on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 am

The short talkback version of my reaction: Avatar did not fuck my eyeballs, instead it lacked the emotional intelligence of Graham Greene.

Seriously being unimpressed by the 3D (it looks different than I'm used too, so what?) there's not much left of the movie. The people that talk about a unique movie experience or somehow being totally immersed in the movie are completely beyond me. Are you the same people that always say that 'Peter Jackson brought middle earth to life'? Because I never understood what that was supposed to mean either.

Random thought picked up from this thread

Fievel wrote:I love that The Zone is divided on this movie. Debate is what makes The Zone.
'While reading the negatives, one common thing I read is that every minute is predictable. I'll agree with that to an extent, but after Sigourney Weaver's character got shot (which was entirely predictable) I would not have bet a single dollar that she ended up dying. I figured that the Na'vi would have healed her. But no, she died. Buh-bye.

I thought that was very predictable , especially after it was revealed that the plan was to permanently transfer her into her avatar. But I expected thee would be more of a fuzz about the procedure succeeding with Jake
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Al Shut wrote:The short talkback version of my reaction: Avatar did not fuck my eyeballs, instead it lacked the emotional intelligence of Graham Greene.

That was a statement I wasn't expecting ...

When I went into Avatar, I was not looking for the emotional intelligence of Graham Greene. Why would I be looking for that? If I wanted that, I'd read one of his books. I wanted, and got, a good eyeball-fucking. But, as I said earlier, IT'S NOT THE 3D!!!! IT'S THE MO-CAP!!!!

Dammit, Cameron is the first director to use mo-cap to create new characters. Look at what Zemeckis did with Tom Hanks in The Polar Express. He just mo-capped Hanks to turn the real Hanks into a bad version of Hanks. WHY??? Why didn't he just use the real Hanks? Cameron did far better. Cameron showed me something new, and it wasn't the 3D!!

Stop talking about the 3D!! It isn't the important advance of this movie!
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 pm

minstrel wrote:But, as I said earlier, IT'S NOT THE 3D!!!! IT'S THE MO-CAP!!!!

But Minstrel, YOU are the only person talking about the mo-cap! EVERYBODY else is the world is praising the visual experience of the movie for the 3D. All the movies, reboots, etc in the works at the studios now are talking about the 3D. 3D! 3D!! 3D!!! They're pushing 3D down our throats in movies AND now tvs.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby minstrel on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:43 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
minstrel wrote:But, as I said earlier, IT'S NOT THE 3D!!!! IT'S THE MO-CAP!!!!

But Minstrel, YOU are the only person talking about the mo-cap! EVERYBODY else is the world is praising the visual experience of the movie for the 3D. All the movies, reboots, etc in the works at the studios now are talking about the 3D. 3D! 3D!! 3D!!! They're pushing 3D down our throats in movies AND now tvs.

The only reason they talk about the 3D is that the mo-cap is so good that people don't notice it. They see Avatar and think they're looking at actors in blue makeup - it's THAT REAL! Urgh, 3D has been around in various forms since forever. Mo-cap like this originates with Avatar and Cameron. And the incredible detail of the world of Pandora, that warrants many viewings, also originates with Cameron. The 3D helps, but that isn't IT. I remember back in the 60s reading Iron Man comics where they said that Iron Man's armor was so cool because it was "transistorized". Wow! It has transistors! I'm an electrical engineer, and I can tell you that just having transistors does not give you Iron Man armor. And having 3D does not give you Avatar.
minstrel

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

minstrel wrote:
Al Shut wrote:The short talkback version of my reaction: Avatar did not fuck my eyeballs, instead it lacked the emotional intelligence of Graham Greene.

When I went into Avatar, I was not looking for the emotional intelligence of Graham Greene. Why would I be looking for that? If I wanted that, I'd read one of his books. I wanted, and got, a good eyeball-fucking. But, as I said earlier, IT'S NOT THE 3D!!!! IT'S THE MO-CAP!!!!

Dammit, Cameron is the first director to use mo-cap to create new characters. Look at what Zemeckis did with Tom Hanks in The Polar Express. He just mo-capped Hanks to turn the real Hanks into a bad version of Hanks. WHY??? Why didn't he just use the real Hanks? Cameron did far better. Cameron showed me something new, and it wasn't the 3D!!

I agree about the motion capture stuff, especially in terms of getting the CGI characters to "act". It seemed to also get rid of the dead-eyed look of the Zemeckis films' character faces.

As far as I know about the technological difference involved:
- Cameron used a face mounted camera to record the motion of the face and eyes while the actors performed.
- Zemeckis (and other directors previous to this) used the more usual foam ball detection, but applied to the face to record facial expression. But then used a mathematical model to replicate eye movement...not all that successfully.

[/technerd]
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 pm

All this talk of Cameron being the first to innovate mo-cap.

BULLSHIT.

Let's take off these rose colored glasses for a second, and not forget to give credit where credit is due. Without WETA, Peter Jackson, and Andy Serkis, we wouldn't have had AVATAR for a few more years.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby minstrel on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:29 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:All this talk of Cameron being the first to innovate mo-cap.

BULLSHIT.

Let's take off these rose colored glasses for a second, and not forget to give credit where credit is due. Without WETA, Peter Jackson, and Andy Serkis, we wouldn't have had AVATAR for a few more years.

Nobody said Cameron was the first. And Serkis' performance as Gollum was amazing, and he, Peter Jackson, and WETA deserve kudos. The point that I was making is that everyone seems to think that the reason for Avatar's success is the 3D, and it isn't. To me, at least, it's the incredibly lifelike motion capture. The 3D helps, but the mo-cap RULES!
minstrel

Postby thomasgaffney on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 am

minstrel wrote:everyone seems to think that the reason for Avatar's success is the 3D, and it isn't.

But it IS. No one (no one but you) is going to the movies to see the mo-cap. EVERYONE (everyone but you) is going to see the 3D. Therefore, the thing behind Avatar's success is the 3D. Hence, ALL the movie news coming out about every future movie being in 3D...

edit: I have not heard a single person say "you need to see this in the theater and not DVD to get the full effects of the mo-cap". I have heard many people say "you need to see this in the theater and not DVD to get the full effects of the 3D".

edit2: people in the very thread have seen Avatar in both 2D and 3D and debated the merits of one over the other. And that's without any mention of the mo-cap.
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Al Shut on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 am

minstrel wrote:

Well with all the Dances with Wolves comparisons it certainly was the most fitting stupid talkback catchphrase I could remember. Actually it might be my most profound insight since I realized that a Kubrick A.I. would have featured more cyborg tits. Yeah, I know I'm a moron.

The reason I was talking about the 3d was that I didn't have to pay extra for the mo-cap, I hadn't had the choice between a version with or without mo-cap and someone in here said earlier that one shouldn't even bother with watching this in 2d. Makes it worth a comment in my opinion.

minstrel wrote:Dammit, Cameron is the first director to use mo-cap to create new characters. [...] Cameron showed me something new, and it wasn't the 3D!!

minstrel wrote: 3D has been around in various forms since forever. Mo-cap like this originates with Avatar and Cameron.

Nachokoolaid wrote:All this talk of Cameron being the first to innovate mo-cap.

BULLSHIT.

minstrel wrote:Nobody said Cameron was the first.

que?

True the mo-cap is a pretty big technical achievement, whether it's first or second. One that is easy to overlook because the achievement lies with its seamlessness. The problem is that with the characters that were created that achievement pretty much goes to waste. If the movie had a mo-cap character like Gollum (or a Kicking Bird for that matter :-P ) You'd hear a lot more mo-cap praise.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Seppuku on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Marksman230591 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:48 pm

He's got a point, especially when he says "If you wanna make a movie in 3D, MAKE the movie in 3D. It should be a filmmaker-driven process and not a studio-driven process". When this kind of stuff is done by the studio, they don't take into account the director's original vision for the film. They're only doing it simply because of the small bump for the ticket price, not because they think it'll make the movie better. If the film wasn't shot in 3D, that means it really wasn't MEANT to be seen in 3D.
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 am

Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby thefraze on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm confused where all the hate for "Avatar" is coming from... I know most of The Zone is split on this movie, but I can't think of a more entertaining film I saw this year. Sure, the story was shallow and simple - but I found it relevant and it seemed to penetrate the combined consciousness of the world. It was imaginative and beautiful to look at... and obviously it's going to be a huge turning point for the future of films.

I liked The Hurt Locker - but in no way was it Best Picture, nor was Bigelow the best director. I would seriously consider Tarantino, Blomkamp and Reitman before Bigelow.

I think, if anything, Cameron will walk away from this whole experience and - with Avatar 2 - he'll build on the story and character elements now that he has the technology down... at least, I hope so. Dances With Aliens won't pass a second time around.
"I've seen "The Exorcist" about a hundred and sixty-seven times, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... "
thefraze
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:14 pm

thefraze, the fact that people are talking about Avatar and not really talking about The Cock Hurter, well that says it all about what is the better film.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Marksman230591 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:thefraze, the fact that people are talking about Avatar and not really talking about The Cock Hurter, well that says it all about what is the better film.

lol. "Cock Hurter"

Ahem, moving along...

I'm actually one of the Avatar fanboys (if you wanna call them "avatards", whatever, I don't care. I also happen to be a big fan of the Nickelodeon TV show too :-P ), and I admit, Avatar didn't have a groundbreaking story or oscar-worthy dialogue, but even with that, it was still the best movie I watched from 2009. While its story was simple and derivative, it was nevertheless still a good story worth telling that had universal appeal. And it's not like the characters were bad ones either. IMO, they all were developed enough, and all actors gave, at the least, a good performance.

And yeah, if it were up to me, I would've chosen this movie for Best Picture and JC for Best Director. But hey, that doesn't mean I'm bothered by the Hurt Locker taking both instead. Cameron already had his glory with Titanic, and he still also got the Golden Globes. Sure, they're not as prestigious as the oscars, but they're at least bigger awards than the freaking BAFTAS or Saturns. And the movie has made almost $2.6 fucking billion worldwide now. He had his success, the movie was perhaps the most popular film of the decade, and from his own reaction from when Kathryn won, one could tell that he too thought she deserved it, which is deserving of respect on his part. Hell, I think he was probably the only director nominee who was actually happy when Bigelow won.

Now... What Hurt Locker didn't deserve AT all was Best Original Screenplay. Now that was just pure ass-kissing for the movie. Like Avatar, the merits of Hurt Locker were really on its execution, not its writing.

P.S. I don't know about you, but Bigelow's seriously one MILF. Out of the roster of wives Cameron's had (which is bigger than the amount of oscars he's won, by the way :-P ), she was probably the hottest, and she still looks damn fine to this day. I have to give kudos to Cameron for hitting that :)
Marksman230591
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah, there's one award I can say was a weakness in the deserving stakes was the Best Original Screenplay for The Oscar Blocker. Come the fark on! Bomb 1, Bomb 2, Bomb 3, etc. There's not really that much going on other than 2 or 3 soldiers bickering about how they are disposed of.

On top of that, there's other complaints. There's sod all opinion on the Iraq war itself. Just a bomb disposal story that could be planted into ANY action scenario story, let alone ANY war script. Just wastes the controversial war and uses it as nothing but a backdrop. The 3rd act is a waste of time, and the meeting of Ralph Fiennes and his crew is far too random and unexplained. Again, it's just 3 soldiers going through one event after the other, no real thread of 'story' or a cause for the movie to follow.

In short, there's hardly ANY story worth remembering, let alone nominating for ANY award, let alone WINNING A FARKING OSCAR!!!

Give it to Inglorious Basterds, man!!

I swear, with all this hard on for The Cameron's Cock Blocker that happens to be set in Iraq, if GREEN ZONE had come out in time for the Oscar season, I swear THAT would be up there with these awards as well!

As for Avatar's simplicity? People may not know it, but it's part of the movie's appeal. With so much going on onscreen, it's relieving that you got a simple arrow going through the whole movie leading you easily through it. Yeah it could be more complex, but it's a classic straightforward story, but one that does have many levels and themes to it. Like how debated or wrong the US may be to have an 'invading(?)' presence in Iraq.

It says more about that war than gentleman Kicker does!!!!

PS. Yeah Bigelow is hot. I'd spear it big time, but it would be an angry fuck. As if Oscar were getting it's revenge on her with every thrust. That's right - I AM that larg.... oddly shaped.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Marksman230591 wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:thefraze, the fact that people are talking about Avatar and not really talking about The Cock Hurter, well that says it all about what is the better film.

lol. "Cock Hurter"

Ahem, moving along...

I'm actually one of the Avatar fanboys (if you wanna call them "avatards", whatever, I don't care. I also happen to be a big fan of the Nickelodeon TV show too :-P ), and I admit, Avatar didn't have a groundbreaking story or oscar-worthy dialogue, but even with that, it was still the best movie I watched from 2009. While its story was simple and derivative, it was nevertheless still a good story worth telling that had universal appeal. And it's not like the characters were bad ones either. IMO, they all were developed enough, and all actors gave, at the least, a good performance.

And yeah, if it were up to me, I would've chosen this movie for Best Picture and JC for Best Director. But hey, that doesn't mean I'm bothered by the Hurt Locker taking both instead. Cameron already had his glory with Titanic, and he still also got the Golden Globes. Sure, they're not as prestigious as the oscars, but they're at least bigger awards than the freaking BAFTAS or Saturns. And the movie has made almost $2.6 fucking billion worldwide now. He had his success, the movie was perhaps the most popular film of the decade, and from his own reaction from when Kathryn won, one could tell that he too thought she deserved it, which is deserving of respect on his part. Hell, I think he was probably the only director nominee who was actually happy when Bigelow won.

Now... What Hurt Locker didn't deserve AT all was Best Original Screenplay. Now that was just pure ass-kissing for the movie. Like Avatar, the merits of Hurt Locker were really on its execution, not its writing.

P.S. I don't know about you, but Bigelow's seriously one MILF. Out of the roster of wives Cameron's had (which is bigger than the amount of oscars he's won, by the way :-P ), she was probably the hottest, and she still looks damn fine to this day. I have to give kudos to Cameron for hitting that :)

AVATAR was the best moviegoing experience I had last year, but I wasn't gonna get all torn up if it didn't win Best Picture. Frankly, I thought the Academy Awards were horseshit this year. I'm glad I had to work, otherwise I would've been sitting at home watching that predictable shit. Instead I got paid for standing around doing nothing except saying "Hello" to people. That's the American dream.

Anyway, I haven't seen THE HURT LOCKER and I don't know when I'll get around to it. I guess it's cool that a lady person won the directing prize. Especially the lady director of POINT BREAK. I think all this sex talk about "hitting that" and MILF and so on is just plain crude and has no place on this board.

But, yeah, I'd nail that shut. Bitch wouldn't know what hit her.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote: I think all this sex talk about "hitting that" and MILF and so on is just plain crude and has no place on this board.

But, yeah, I'd nail that shut. Bitch wouldn't know what hit her.

Sure it has a place . . .
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 am

James Cameron trashes Glenn Beck

Glenn Beck is a fucking asshole.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:39 am

I think in a round-about way James Cameron sort of blames global warming on Glenn Beck... must be all those hot farts that shoot out of his mouth.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Hermanator X on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 am

And Beck responds with...... An apology?

Well, it starts out that way anyway.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Destructus on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Eywa wrote:Sad news. Avatar is now highest grossing film in the world.

hmm, that's fine with me. I've placed it in my top favorites list. I really enjoyed the film quite a bit.
We have no time for the selfishness of the West, no time for hate or greed. We of Earth…our days are numbered.
Destructus
GLIB

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion