The Incredible Hulk!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

The Incredible Hulk!!

No votes
19%
28%
33%
11%
3%
No votes
3%
3%
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 36

Re: The Incredible Hulk!

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:01 pm

Did anyone else find one of these in their lobby?

The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 pm

The Vicar wrote:Did anyone else find one of these in their lobby?

Oh man, that's fucked up!

What the hell is that thing in front of the Hulk???
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby The Vicar on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Nice.

:-P
The Vicar

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:26 pm

The Vicar wrote:Did anyone else find one of these in their lobby?

hahaha, yup we had one.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby The Vicar on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:51 am

Bitch could scream his head off.
Mai bverage!!
The Vicar

Postby Raziel on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:35 pm

Saw it a few weeks ago, it was entertaining but nothing amazing!
Raziel
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby travis-dane on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:54 am

Saw HULK last night and I was surprised.
A very solid movie,I still missed Jennifer Connelly,but the cast was ok......
The French director has a good eye for action and Norton did a good job with the story and playing Banner.
But I still think that Lee's HULK is top-notch and was ahead of his time.

So,I give the NEW Hulk:7 out of 10 HULK SMASH stars.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:54 pm

Watched the behind the sceens stuff on the DVD last night.. You can really see where the stories of Norton trying to Ghost Direct this thing. Almost every bit with him doing the Mo Cap for the Hulk has him just about directing the damn thing..
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby bastard_robo on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Ribbons wrote:Did you watch the scenes that Marvel cut from the final film, b_r? If so, how were they?

There were a LOT of deleated sceens. Most were just "EXPANSIONS" of sceens already in the film, most of it Dialog.

I do think that they should of kept the original opening with Banner in the Artic trying to kill himself. The piece was a very powerful shot, and you see just a breif glimps of Cap lodged in a block of ice that Hulk breaks up.

ANd all of the sceens in the Commercials are there too, some which would of been fine if they left in the film.

There is a major block of Bruce talking with Doc Sampson (which I dont think he was properly named in the film) which was interesting.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby waytovietnam on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:36 am

Ang Lee's Hulk still fresh in my head. I am still a fan of Ang Lee's Hulk. At first I thought this Incredible Hulk is indeed incredibly unnecessary, but after few rounds of trailer and TV-Spot. I think I could be a hit movie this summer, as long as the movie are fill with strong story line and great drama with decent acting.
waytovietnam
GLIB

Postby travis-dane on Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:35 am

waytovietnam wrote:Ang Lee's Hulk still fresh in my head. I am still a fan of Ang Lee's Hulk. At first I thought this Incredible Hulk is indeed incredibly unnecessary, but after few rounds of trailer and TV-Spot. I think I could be a hit movie this summer, as long as the movie are fill with strong story line and great drama with decent acting.

BEST.POST.EVER.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby minstrel on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Here's my review of this film. I haven't revised this, so it's fairly incoherent by my usual standards (?), but here it is anyway. Major spoilers in this review! Be warned!

I have to say that I was very, very disappointed in this movie. I’ll go so far as to say that it sucked.

Basically, this is Bruce Banner (Edward Norton) on the run, hiding from General Ross (William Hurt) and the Army while he tries to cure himself of becoming the Hulk. That’s about the extent of the plot summary I’m going to give right now; more will come during the rant ahead.

The film opens in Brazil where Bruce is working in a soda bottling plant, while communicating by internet chat with a scientist he calls Mr. Blue (Mr. Blue calls Banner “Mr. Green”) who is an expert in gamma radiation poisoning. This section of the movie goes on far too long and is, frankly, dull. Director Louis Leterrier tries to liven it up by CONSTANTLY MOVING THE CAMERA ALL THE TIME until I wanted to bash him in the teeth with a brick to get him to hold still. This technique, obviously, did not work. This camera motion was so distracting that I was starting to hate this movie in the first five minutes.

Ross finds out where Banner is and we get our first Hulk scene. Ross sends a team of soldiers led by Emil Blonsky (Tim Roth) to capture Banner and bring him back. Banner escapes to the bottling plant and becomes the Hulk and mayhem ensues. This sequence is shot entirely in the dark, and we never actually get to see the Hulk. Maybe Leterrier thought he was building suspense by doing this, but he was actually just building annoyance. What worked for Spielberg in Jaws falls flat here. Bad strategy, badly implemented.

Back to the USA. Tim Roth gets a Captain America style “super-soldier” treatment and he’s gung ho to take on the Hulk again. Meanwhile, Banner reconnects with his old girlfriend, Betty Ross, who is another scientist who happens to be General Ross’s daughter. Betty is angry with her father for wanting to capture Banner … this is getting hard to type because it’s so cheesy. General Ross is such a one-dimensional antagonist that it’s boring to think about him, let alone write about him, and William Hurt certainly doesn’t try very hard to give him any sort of personality.

We see the next Hulk sequence as Banner and Betty are at a university campus when suddenly, out of nowhere, lots of military vehicles appear to take Banner out. This is shown in broad daylight – Woohoo! We get to actually see what’s going on! The military unit is now led by Superblonsky, who has some cool new moves. Nowhere near enough to take on the Hulk, of course – why did he even bother trying? It just didn’t look like the military brought enough firepower to this ambush – I mean, a few soldiers shooting small-caliber rounds at the Hulk isn’t going to accomplish much. They have a couple of sound cannon things that momentarily stop the Hulk, but he smashes them, too. Ross and Blonsky are kind of thickheaded – they don’t seem to realize that they can’t take on the Hulk with this small-time tiddlywink shit they keep using. So this action sequence is nowhere near as awesome as it should have been.

Blonsky gets hold of a serum made by Mr. Blue from Banner’s Hulk blood and uses it to become the Abomination, who then fights the Hulk in downtown New York City. At night again. Bad idea again. This isn’t Batman – why all the night stuff? This fight goes on for a long time and a few cars get smashed. Big deal. Neither the Abomination nor the Hulk are anywhere near as strong in this film as they are in the comic books – I wanted to see some toppling skyscrapers as a result of this battle, dammit! Don’t the filmmakers realize just how powerful the Hulk is supposed to be when he’s pissed off? This was a major disappointment. I didn’t want to see a movie with a weak Hulk.

Anyway, this ho-hum battle ends incredibly stupidly: The Hulk strangles the Abomination with a chain. Yes, a chain – one that either of these heaps of muscle should have been able to break with their pinky fingers, but somehow the Abomination can’t escape it. So the Abomination is down, but clearly not dead – we see him still moving after the Hulk lets go. So he’ll be back up again in a minute or two, right? And even more pissed off than before, right? But the Hulk leaves the scene and we cut to weeks later in British Columbia to wrap up the film. WTF? What happened to New York when the Abomination got back up? Gigantic loose end there, guys.

When I was reading Hulk comics regularly back in the 70s, the Hulk spent most of his time out in the wilderness – Banner didn’t like to hang around big cities. So we saw lots of Hulk battles in deserts, mountains, and so on. Places he could really rampage. I wanted to see that, instead of this Batman-like nighttime urban combat. It didn’t feel very Hulky to me.

So that didn’t work for me. The constantly-moving camera really didn’t work for me. The lame performance by Hurt (and another lame performance by Liv Tyler as Betty) didn’t work for me. Tim Blake Nelson is over-the-top as Mr. Blue, and that didn’t work for me. The weak Hulk didn’t work for me. The score was kind of lame, too. The whole thing was kind of tepid.

Dammit. I wanted a Hulk movie that was dialed up to eleven. This one is dialed down to, oh, three or four. I was left with a profound sense of blah.

BTW, I was happy to see Canadian actor Paul Soles in the small role of a pizzeria owner who is a friend of Banner’s. Edward Norton had worked with him before in “The Score”, and I was glad to see Norton give him a part in this film. It shows some class.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:31 am

Sorry you didn't enjoy it, minstrel. I thought it was much more fun than Lee's version, but it was still far from perfect.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby minstrel on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 am

RogueScribner wrote:Sorry you didn't enjoy it, minstrel. I thought it was much more fun than Lee's version, but it was still far from perfect.

I'm sorry I didn't enjoy it, too. It was more fun than Lee's version, but it still wasn't the Hulk to me. I thought Favreau "got" Iron Man" perfectly; I don't think Leterrier "got" the Hulk. Or even comic book films in general.
minstrel

Postby buster00 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm

minstrel wrote:...

Dammit. I wanted a Hulk movie that was dialed up to eleven. This one is dialed down to, oh, three or four. I was left with a profound sense of blah.

Good review, sorry you didn't care for it. I thought it was pretty good, but I haven't seen it since it came out either.

It probably won't make you like the movie any better, but it's worth noting that "Mr. Blue" is Dr. Samuel Sterns. They set it up for him to become Hulk's foe The Leader in the sequel.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Movie Review: The Incredible Hulk

Postby valeriewriter on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I've added a new movie review for Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but I did like all of the underlying messages Mr. Norton threw in about anger and helping the environment.

Hope you can check it out.

Thanks!

Valeriewriter
http://valeriewriter.wordpress.com
Valerie Atherton's Playground and Intellectual Department
valeriewriter
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Re: Movie Review: The Incredible Hulk

Postby Bayouwolf on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:20 pm

valeriewriter wrote:Hi everyone,

I've added a new movie review for Edward Norton's The Incredible Hulk. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but I did like all of the underlying messages Mr. Norton threw in about anger and helping the environment.

Hope you can check it out.

Thanks!

Valeriewriter
http://valeriewriter.wordpress.com

Not to be nitpickey, but you got a pic of Norton in American History X with the caption "Norton relaxes on the set of Hulk"
Normally this would be tongue in cheek at it's finest, what with the green shadowing and all, but the swastika is a bit much, nu?

Good review though. :wink:
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Re: Movie Review: The Incredible Hulk

Postby valeriewriter on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Bayou wrote:Not to be nitpickey, but you got a pic of Norton in American History X with the caption "Norton relaxes on the set of Hulk"
Normally this would be tongue in cheek at it's finest, what with the green shadowing and all, but the swastika is a bit much, nu?

Good review though. :wink:

Someone else mentioned that it might be a German symbol, but I look it up and that symbol is actually a Native American symbol which symbolizes their (the Native Americans) migration over America: North, South, East and West. Obviously, Mr. Norton has some Native American heritage that he wants to show off. Like how my friend's sister got a four leaf clover tattoo to demonstrate that she's part Irish.

Thanks for reading, though! :D
Valerie Atherton's Playground and Intellectual Department
valeriewriter
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby John-Locke on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:52 pm

You are hilarious, nice writing, funny that there is some fool who's left you a comment on your page and doesn't get the joke.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Bloo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 am

a'ight here we go

THE INCREDIBLE HULK
A Bloo Review http://viewtoreview.blogspot.com

It's the story of a man and a monster trapped in the same body, it's Dr Jykell and Mr. Hyde. I knew that when I popped it in. I've read Hulk comics, I've seen the TV show, I watched Ang Lee's version.

And I enjoyed this, but it owes more to the TV show (which sadly is what most people associate with the Hulk) then it does the comics. and that's ok, I can deal with that. It had some nice touches.

Liv Tyler was not the worst pretty face scients I've seen, I mean can anyone be worse in that particular stock role then Denise Richards?

Ed Norton turned in another good performance, I really enjoyed his work here.

William Hurt did the best he could do, but he's no Sam Elliot. I enjoyed the other changes but really wanted the to keep Sam as Thuderbolt Ross.

I enjoyed Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky/The Abomination.

I knew that Reed Richards wouldn't be in this, but that is who I first thought of with the code name "Mr Blue" and in NYC

I wish though it had been Empire State University

Tony's cameo was nice

sorry this is a little scattered, I'm tired
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Chilli on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:01 am

I dig Norton's script more (and the script I read had a lot cut out of it, but was essentially the film we saw... and credited fully to Norton), but I thought they did a good job with the film. It didn't reach for classic status like Lee's did, but at the same time it didn't fall apart to the same degree. They made an efficient and fun Hulk film, one that (while not as good as Iron Man) should be enough to get another Hulk film made eventually.

And they better include Norton. The guy was awesome.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:30 am

John-Locke wrote:You are hilarious, nice writing, funny that there is some fool who's left you a comment on your page and doesn't get the joke.

The Dark Knight review is good too.

The Dark Knight actually starts off kind of cute with a group of clowns riding in a car. But, these clowns aren’t circus clowns, at all. They are bank robbers who are going to rob a bank of its money. There is a big shootout and only one clown is left: The Joker. Upset and alone because his friends are dead, The Joker leaves the scene of the crime in a bus.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 pm

They are bank robbers who are going to rob a bank of its money.

:lol:
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Bloo wrote:I knew that Reed Richards wouldn't be in this, but that is who I first thought of with the code name "Mr Blue" and in NYC

Somebody else who I saw the movie with said that "Mr. Blue" was actually a nod to Hulk canon; I can't remember if it was Doc Samson that they said used the moniker or not, but it was somebody who was communicating with him while he was on the lam.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

Bruce Jones followed as the series' writer, and his run features Banner using yoga to take control of the Hulk while he is pursued by a secret conspiracy and aided by the mysterious Mr. Blue. Jones appended his 43-issue Incredible Hulk run with the limited series Hulk/Thing: Hard Knocks #1-4 (Nov. 2004 - Feb. 2005), which Marvel published after putting the ongoing series on hiatus.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Bloo wrote:I knew that Reed Richards wouldn't be in this, but that is who I first thought of with the code name "Mr Blue" and in NYC

Somebody else who I saw the movie with said that "Mr. Blue" was actually a nod to Hulk canon; I can't remember if it was Doc Samson that they said used the moniker or not, but it was somebody who was communicating with him while he was on the lam.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

Bruce Jones followed as the series' writer, and his run features Banner using yoga to take control of the Hulk while he is pursued by a secret conspiracy and aided by the mysterious Mr. Blue. Jones appended his 43-issue Incredible Hulk run with the limited series Hulk/Thing: Hard Knocks #1-4 (Nov. 2004 - Feb. 2005), which Marvel published after putting the ongoing series on hiatus.

Mr. Blue is Dr. Samuel Sterns. He becomes the villain called the Leader, who is gamma-enhanced to be super-smart instead of super-strong. There's a scene in the movie that has him contaminated with his Hulk serum and seeming to begin to change, but it's a loose end - I expect they'll use it for the sequel.

But I hope not. I hate stories involving super-smart characters. See my review in the Zone for Ender's Game for details of why.
minstrel

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm

I watched today The Incredible Hulk and it was okay, but I liked Ang Lee's version better.
I don't know why, but the story in Leterrier's sequeboomake didn't catch me in any way. I would go so far and say that there wasn't even a story! Banner tries to find a cure, the army finds him, he turns into Hulk and escapes. Repeat this two more times, add an Abomination to the 3rd run and you got 'The Incredible Hulk'. It even had one moment that stretched my suspense of disbelief much more than it should be! I'm talking about Stan Lee's cameo. A drip of blood find its way into a lemonade bottle in Portugal, someone in the USA drinks it and suddenly the Army knows where to look for Banner?
It had some stuff in it that I really liked. Like when Hulk said "Hulk Smash" or when he didn't kill Abomination (What of course leads to the question how they wanna keep him imprisoned). Tim Roth was a great villain. That was one of my major complaints about Lee's version: It just didn't have a real villain! I also liked how they made William Hurt look like Sam Elliot.
My favourite idea was Betty's new boyfriend. You see him and you know: "Awww shit, this smells like one of these annoying love triangles!" It always happens in movies like this. The girl will have a long inner fight about who she will stay with, even if her new lover turns out to be a complete asshole and you wonder why she even fell in love with him. But suddenly she is not just ditching the new guy for her ex, it also turns out that the new one seems to be a pretty okay guy who understands that her dad is more dangerous for her, than that green giant who saved her from a painful death! Correct me if I'm wrong but since 'Liar Liar' I didn't see a new boyfriend who turned out to be a nice guy!
The Hulk itself is...weird. They managed to improve him and make him look worse at the same time. Now he has more of a texture and is more "real" green than in Lee's movie, but on the other hand he looks now more fake! Yes, people hate the CGI in the last movie for the wrong reasons. Put the bright cartoongreen aside and you have a realistic CGI creature! Did nobody notice how the skin is moving above his muscles or how the sand is pouring down on him in the desert fight? In the new movie they could never convince me that he was really there. Yes, his skin is darker but he was more cartoony. It's paradox. Maybe we will never see a 100% convincing Hulk on screen, because it seems like everytime you make one element more realistic, something else becomes more cartoony and unrealistic. Sheesh.
But all in all it was an entertaining movie for a boring afternoon. I don't hate it, but I don't plan to watch it again soon.
Uhm...a good 7/10. (More a 6,742/10, but whatever...)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 pm

From ToH: Ex-Hulk Norton Could Learn from Franco

From Deadline April 17, 2008:
Edward Norton vs Marvel, 'Hulk' Round 2

From Variety June 13, 2008:
Incredible Hulk: Setting the Record Straight
Anne Thompson wrote:The real question when looking at The Incredible Hulk--given all the sturm-and-drang in the media about Edward Norton--is what did he contribute to this movie?

Here's the real deal:

Zak Penn wrote the original script, which includes two pivotal scenes from his 16-year-old first screenplay for the Hulk, which was not used on the Ang Lee movie written by James Schamus. Marvel came back to Penn and wanted the two scenes in the movie: Bruce Banner jumping out of a helicopter to the earth below, not knowing whether or not he would morph into Hulk, and a lovemaking scene in a motel where Banner's rising heart rate becomes an issue. Both are among the best scenes in the final movie.

When Marvel approached Norton to do The Incredible Hulk, he initially declined. They asked him to meet with director Louis Leterrier (Transporter) to discuss his objections to doing the movie; there Norton offered some ideas as to where he'd want it to go. Marvel agreed to hire a screenwriter to work with him. This is totally normal. At this point Penn was off the movie.

Marvel realized they didn't have time to hire a new writer and asked Norton to do it, offering him an uncredited producer credit as well. With about two months to go before the movie started filming, Norton did a page one rewrite--knowing that he couldn't do anything radical, because sets were being built, locations found, etc. The entire Brazil sequence was already story-boarded.

So Norton mostly changed dialogue, filled in gaps of motivation and developed character. For example, the scenes in Brazil about finding a serum in the Amazon to cure him, and Banner's emails with Tim Blake Nelson, were Norton adds. Marvel agreed to shoot Norton's script.

The Incredible Hulk filming was well under way in Toronto when the team flew to San Diego to do a Comic-Con panel last July. When the panel moderator asked Norton to address his enhanced role on the film--which was supposed to be revealed on the panel, but not by him--both Norton and producer Gale Ann Hurd recognized that his announcing his own role as screenwriter would play badly. And so it did.

In post-production, when it came time to edit the movie, Marvel wanted a streamlined cut. Norton wanted more of his stuff, some 20 minutes worth. Norton is a serious actor who wants to be cool. Marvel convinced him to star in a movie on which he would have considerable input as writer-co-producer-star. A collision was inevitable. Their heated debate was leaked to Deadline Hollywood. Marvel had final cut, not Norton. He did not get his way. Some 50 minutes of outtakes will turn up on the DVD.

Post-Ang Lee, Marvel wanted the most commercial version of the movie, while Norton wanted something more nuanced.

As for the script, Marvel submitted both Penn and Norton (under his pseudonym, Edward Harrison) to the Writers' Guild; Penn (who had substantial economic incentives to want to win the arbitration) wrote an impassioned argument that Norton had not considerably changed his screenplay. The Guild tends to favor plot, structure and pre-exisiting characters over dialogue. Given the final version of the movie, they gave the sole credit to Penn. (Another early writer was seeking story by credit and didn't get anywhere.)

Interestingly, the reviews have been mixed, 61 on metacritic; some have criticized the movie for being light on character. Here's Todd McCarthy's review and a funny one in The Guardian.

When it came to marketing the pic, Universal's Adam Fogleson talked with Norton about his schedule and what PR they wanted him to do. The studio wanted to sell the Hulk, not Norton, finally--they avoided the traditional print junket in favor of a more superficial Adam Sandler TV-friendly media sell (not opening up to lots of questions about what Norton wanted the movie to be). Norton did Access Hollywood, Jimmy Kimmel (see below), lots of Internet stuff and attended the L.A. premiere. Then, as planned, he went off to Africa for his own purposes--and will do Japan PAs later this month.

This LAT Norton story addresses his image problems, which are substantial. He is seen as a gifted writer and actor, but opinionated and persnickety.

Finally, my sense is that Norton's issues were with Marvel, which misled him into believing that he would have more control over the picture than in fact he did. Norton didn't take his issues to the press. When told about Deadline Hollywood, he had never heard of the blog. He's fine with Universal. Here's EW, with Norton's statement. Whether Norton will play Hulk again remains to be seen.

It's probably time for Norton to take charge via directing. (He debuted with the 2000 relationship comedy Keeping the Faith and has been developing Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn as a directing vehicle.) The smartest movie stars--Clint Eastwood, Warren Beatty, Mel Gibson, Robert Redford, George Clooney and others--have figured out how to take control of their careers. Instead of fighting with studios over final cut, they earn it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:17 am

ok, so its Penn's fault that "The Incredible Hulk" blew.....not the first movie his writing has hamstrung to sub-mediocrity...and sadly i am sure not the last

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:42 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 am

Edward Norton Says Marvel 'Has To Deal With Their Own Karma'
Rachel Molino wrote:Fans may recall a tension in the air last year right before San Diego Comic Con, when it was revealed that Edward Norton—by no choice of his own, it seemed—would not be reprising his role as Bruce Banner" for "The Avengers" movie. In fact, there would be a new Hulk actor and yet another “Hulk” film—the third in less than 10 years.

The discomfort was palpable and its source multi-dimensional. Critical reception of Norton’s take on The Hulk was positive, but no sooner did rumors rise of the actor’s participation in future Hulk endeavors (including “The Avengers”), than Marvel Studios’ chief Kevin Feige released a statement saying they had made the decision not to bring Norton back.

It’s been almost a year since the actor’s agent and Norton himself released outraged, and more measured, fan-reverent reactions (respectively) regarding the surprising turn. And as it turns out, Norton now has more to say about the whole ordeal.

"I found it a cheap and unnecessary representation that it was about things other than money," Norton told The Independent. "They came to me avidly to talk about it and then, at the end of the day, it was just flat out a business decision."

Norton goes on to call Marvel’s approach to releasing their statement, “low, unprofessional and dishonest.”

"I would say that blew back on them much worse than it blew back on me," the actor notes of the perceived response to the back-and-forth between himself and Marvel. "I couldn't have been happier with the experience that I had making the film, but nor do I feel any kind of intensity about doing it again. A really good friend of mine's going to do it now [Mark Ruffalo] and he's awesome! Marvel's going to have to deal with their own karma. They've got bigger problems than me."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Wow. A surprising level of candor from Norton.

I don't think many people believed Marvel in this case, but I guess telling his side of the story makes it harder for them to sell the same line next time they don't feel like paying someone.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chilli on Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 am

Marvel's lucky that Norton has a... somewhat prickly reputation.

Cause when RDJ splits after Iron Man III? There's no way Marvel's coming out of that the victim.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby TheButcher on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:48 am

EMPIRE:
Leterrier: Mark Ruffalo Nearly My Hulk
'Marvel didn't go with him first time'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:46 am

I'm sure Betty's REAL nightmare's involved intercourse with Bruce gone wrong.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:23 pm

so sorry wrote:

I'm sure Betty's REAL nightmare's involved intercourse with Bruce gone wrong.

Hulk Babies
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re:

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 am

Leckomaniac wrote:So...here is a juicy rumor about Hulk 2.

It looks as though they will announce the director at Comic-Con...but film ick says that the rumor is NEIL MARSHALL will be the director.

Hmm. Interesting choice. Wonder if it is true.

Honestly? Neil Marshall would be a GREAT choice for any of these Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Universal Monster/Whatever films. I've admired his work ever since The Descent, and he's come in and kicked all kinds of ass on Game of Thrones and Black Sails. A lot of these producers look for guys who've worked in television and have something extra, and I fully expect Neil Marshall to get his shot at one of these things sooner or later.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Re:

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:37 am

Ribbons wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:So...here is a juicy rumor about Hulk 2.

It looks as though they will announce the director at Comic-Con...but film ick says that the rumor is NEIL MARSHALL will be the director.

Hmm. Interesting choice. Wonder if it is true.

Honestly? Neil Marshall would be a GREAT choice for any of these Marvel/DC/Star Wars/Universal Monster/Whatever films. I've admired his work ever since The Descent, and he's come in and kicked all kinds of ass on Game of Thrones and Black Sails. A lot of these producers look for guys who've worked in television and have something extra, and I fully expect Neil Marshall to get his shot at one of these things sooner or later.

Film Ick Monday, July 10, 2006:
Brendon wrote:Neil Marshall On The Hulk?

Are the rumours true? Anybody out there know if Neil Marshall is really being courted to take on The Incredible Hulk after he shoots Outpost, or Doomsday, or whatever it ends up being called?

Blimey. That's only one step away from Jake West getting the gig.

But then, David Yates landed Harry Potter, and Anand Tucker had his hands on Dark Materials, for a while at least.
I guess we'll find out the truth at Comic-con.

EDIT: I'm now hearing that, actually, Timur Bekmambetov is the front-runner for the gig. He is the director of Nightwatch, Daywatch and the imminent third chapter About Half-Past Eight In The Evening Watch. Again, can anybody confirm or deny? Have both of these names been pitching for the film? Was one previously attached but latterly removed?

THR AUGUST 25, 2014:
'Game of Thrones' Director Neil Marshall Wants to Make a 'Black Widow' Movie
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie Discussion